Andy Reid: Letting McNabb go 'was a tough decision on my part'

On the one hand, Eagles Coach Andy Reid is very aware of what Sunday's game represents: It's the Eagles' only division game until November.

Speaking to reporters at the team's practice facility in Philadelphia, Reid said he told his team this morning: "This is about the Washington Redskins. It's not about Donovan."

On the other hand, though, Reid knows it's unlike a lot of other division matchups. He and Donovan McNabb both came to Philadelphia in 1999. Reid sent his longtime quarterback packing this spring.

"I appreciated all 11 years of Donovan's personality and what he did with this offense," Reid said Wednesday. "I loved every day of it.

"This is the business we're in. Fortunately, that didn't destroy our friendship. It's part of the business. He understands. I understand. I'm sure neither one of us wanted it to come to that day. But that's how it works. That's how this thing works. It was a tough decision on my part."

Of course, back when he made the trade, Reid thought the quarterback who would be guiding the Eagles through 2010 would be Kevin Kolb. But he's using Michael Vick. Asked if he'd still pull the trigger on the deal if he knew what his quarterback situation would look like in late September, Reid opted not to answer. "That's a fully-loaded question," he said. "And I'm not Plato."

Still, he's been studying film this week of a quarterback with whom he's very familiar. He notices differences in the offense, and even in McNabb.

"He's throwing the ball as well as he's ever thrown it. He's leading that offense," Reid said. "Right now, he's playing very good football. We've got to make sure that we study what he's doing in that scheme. It's a little bit different scheme. They're moving him around a little bit more than maybe we did here. He's seeing people on the backside
when he's rolling to the right, all the way on the left side of the field. He's got the gun to throw the ball with velocity on it."

While he acknowledged the Redskins have had a couple of subpar weeks, Reid says the Washington offense is capable of great things.

"That offense can be a very explosive offense," he said. "I will tell you: You have to be on your A-game. With a quarterback like Donovan, the play is never over until it's blown dead. So you better play the whole play. And our defense knows that."

By Rick Maese  | September 29, 2010; 2:31 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Vick never stopped working, Donovan McNabb says
Next: Eagles know Donovan McNabb. And vice versa.

Comments

Posted by: jm220 | September 29, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Childish name calling? Mua??? Sorry to take it up a notch, and maybe I shouldn't have lumped you together with Stupid27, it was just amazing how 2 people at the same time misread what I wrote. I'll tone it down a little, I'll just go back to calling people nerds....

Posted by: monk811 | September 29, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Oaky since you wanna keep chompin at this one. You said you want to get rid of AH for late round draft picks.Beacuse he is not seeing the field, which he is so your wrong.

You say that even with double teams on AH we still arent getting sacks, so shouldnt we get rid of the other players that aren't getting double teamed or getting sacked?
The you made a speculation that even if single teamed he would still not get penetration, then you harped about 5 times about what an idiot i am.

And you still havent said who else on our D there is to fear, besides osackpo its the dude you really want out of here. for a 5th rounder no less, cause we alwasy turn those into gems.

By your logic we need to trade a lot of our players.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 29, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 29, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

First play the Washington offense has, I want to see McNabb roll out toward the Eagles' bench and fire a bullet right into Andy Reid's nutsack. I think that would se tthe tone for the day.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 29, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

By your logic we need to trade a lot of our players.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 29, 2010 2:33 PM

Sounds like a plan!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 29, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time you all "carpet-bombed" someone?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Vick needs to be singin', "Hellhounds on my trail, Hellhounds on my trail.."

Posted by: frak | September 29, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

That's the thing about them 19 yr olds...I get older and they stay the same age.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

the thing about them 19 yr olds... there's 19 of them.

there, fixed that for ya

Posted by: notthecrochunter | September 29, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"Asked if he'd still pull the trigger on the deal if he knew what his quarterback situation would look like in late September, Reid opted not to answer. "That's a fully-loaded question," he said. "And I'm not Plato."

Plato, no.

Could be mistaken for Pluto, yes!

Mikey Holmgren Jr. = Andy Reid

Ol' fat walrus face west coast offense running bamas.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 29, 2010 2:39 PM

That would be great RSH! But it would prob just hit Reid in the feet.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 29, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 29, 2010 2:39 PM
------------------------------------------
Then, when the Washington defense is on the field. They should all start barking just as loud as they can for every play.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 29, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

By your logic we need to trade a lot of our players.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 29, 2010 2:33 PM

Sounds like a plan!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 29, 2010 2:39 PM

Except this isn't bw26's Madden franchise and the handful of players that other teams would want are guys we need.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

red, I don't know that I ever said he was garbage, but what he was doing was pretty reprehensible....I mean, even you can admit that what he was doing was wrong..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2010 2:39 PM

Sounds like a great time for the dog fight vs. horse racing argument to resume!!

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting that the WaPo was able to get a printable quote from Reid in regards to our offense. I imagine when pressed about our defense his only reply was ensuing laughter...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 29, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time you all "carpet-bombed" someone?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 2:40 PM

Seriously... there are plenty of psychologists around...

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

john_keim
Don't know yet if he practiced, but trent williams still limping a little. #redskins
less than 10 seconds ago via mobile web

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 29, 2010 2:44 PM

Oh...I forgot there articles at the top of these things.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 29, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

ARF, ARF, ARF!!! RUFF,RUFF,RUFF!!!

Posted by: frak | September 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

john_keim
less than 10 seconds ago via mobile web

Toes can take forever to heal.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Seriously... there are plenty of psychologists around...

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2010 2:45 PM
-----------

Yeah, your special lady is a great one. She really gives me the "help" that I need. Sometimes 2-3 times in a night.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

I think his gut hangs below his nutsack, offering protection against that sort of thing. Of course, McNabb could bounce one up there ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"help" = Baby wipes?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 29, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

By Larry Weisman
Redskins.com
Posted: September 29, 2010

He’s fast. He’s left-handed. He’s … Michael Vick?

For this week, anyway, that’s the role that falls to Brandon Banks.

Banks is a receiver and a kickoff and punt returner, not a quarterback. He made the opening-day roster as an undrafted free agent, was inactive for the first two games, then got released and brought back to the practice squad.

In any normal week, he’d serve on the scout team, mimicking the style of an opposing receiver so the first-string defense gets a taste of what’s ahead.

This is not a normal week. It’s the week that the Redskins play the Philadelphia Eagles and must find a way to corral the resurgent and reborn Michael Vick.

So Banks moves to quarterback. He is, for all practical and practice purposes, Vick.

“It’s real exciting that I can be compared to him as an athlete but there’s no other Michael Vick. Hopefully I can help the guys prepare for him,” Banks said Wednesday morning before the Redskins headed out for practice.

As a kid watching the NFL, Banks, 23, marveled at Vick’s elusiveness and game-breaking skills.

Vick, 30, broke into the NFL in 2001 as the first overall pick in the draft by the Atlanta Falcons and led them to the NFC championship game following the 2004 season, where they fell to, ironically enough, the Super Bowl-bound Eagles and Donovan McNabb.

“Who doesn’t admire Michael Vick? That guy was a big-time playmaker in the NFL and I look up to him,” Banks said. “Hopefully he won’t do the things he can do next Sunday.”

Banks said he’s faster than Vick but he’s faster than almost everyone, having run the 40-yard dash for the Redskins in under 4.4 seconds. In his mind, that’s where the similarities with Vick end.

“I’m left-handed but I can’t throw like him,” he said.

Here’s what he can do: Help the defense get ready for a guy who makes use of the entire field.

“I’m going to do a little trash-talking, get them aware of the angles and catching me in the open field,” he said. “Just go out there and try to make plays, try and make guys miss. I’ve watched him. I know what he can do.”

Cornerback Carlos Rogers promised that the defense would take its shots at the Vick imposter and hit him.

“That’s part of football. Ain’t no thing,” Banks said.

Chasing Banks in practice, Rogers said, should be excellent preparation for Vick, who buys time with his feet and can then either find a receiver (his passer rating of 110.2 is second in the NFL) or scramble.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 29, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Ok, let's analyze Haynesworth so far this year:

vs DAl - played sparringly, did not start, got manhandled by probowl C Gerad (sp?)

vs HOU - skipped the game due to injury to go to Six Flags, I'm surprised his fat azz fit on the rides.

@ St. Louis - played more, still didn't start, got double teamed but not much penetration, and out of all of the plays he was involved in they only got one sack.

I would not say that there is anyone better than him on this team, and that's because we suck up front. Carricker is the only one worth keeping. I'm just suggesting that since the big tub of lard isn't helping much, we trade him. I realize we don't get a bunch of value out of a 5th round pick, but there have been late round gems found in every round in every draft. Plus this is a new regime, maybe we find a 5th round gem this year, who knows. So sue me for suggesting that we get some value in return for him.

The above analysis is just my OPINION. Keep in mind who started this argument. Also notice I didn't call Stupid27 an idiot. That is all......

Posted by: monk811 | September 29, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"help" = Baby wipes?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 29, 2010 2:55 PM
=============

help = me showing her my 'O' face.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 2:53 PM

Wow, how did you manage to hit "submit" without referencing bodily functions anywhere in your post?

Maybe you're really growing up and moving on to the "your mom/girlfriend" joke stage...

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

beans, I never understood dog fighting. I'm not on the "dog love" like some folks but I find dogs to be cool, used to own a few growing up... wouldn't think of killing one or even hurting one (besides when disciplining one) especially in the manner that Vick and his leeches did, so yeah when it comes to dog fighting and executing them the way he did, it was pretty f'd up. Don't condone that at all.

What I don't get is the folks who want to equate human life to the life of an animal. There were people actually suggesting that Vick should be put to death -- for killing dogs.

Seriously, Come the f_ck on with that... The man did his time, paid his debt, and for the most part has been a good citizen, and has rededicated himself to football. Me personally, I like his comeback story.

Just hope he stays on the straight path and gives a reason for the haters to keep on hating their f-ing guts out.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2010 3:00 PM
--------

Well your special lady does love giving me blumpkins.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Against DAL he had the same stats as Kemo who played the whole game.

we are getting production out of him and the amount of play time he gets will only increase unless an injury occurs, that is a big possibility. To suggest we trade him for a 5th is a poor opinion to have. Thanks for finally admitting that you think we should trade our best Dlineman for a 5th rounder.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 29, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 29, 2010 2:56 PM |

So should we pass up on the 4th round pick that Tenn has reportedly offered and just ask for a 5th?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Russellmania09
Roydell Williams and Devin Thomas were working in rain with K-MAC for at least 20 minutes after practice. #redskins
less than 10 seconds ago via Twitter for Android

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Hurry...McNabb beeps!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 29, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Banks ain't no Vick...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

red, cosign, only I'll add that he MORE than paid his debt...I'm not exonerating him for what ultimately HE immersed himself in, but he's more than paid his debt.....

the people who wanted him put to death, need to read the grisly details of the breaking and entering, rape and murder thats on trial right now down in CT...people like that, that vile inhuman fecal matter needs to be put to death...and with a blow torch, and a pliers, but thats for another day...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the NFL but any WR that is even average is already on a roster.

I've noticed a negative trend in your posts so I wanted to offer an apology and say...I'm sorry they traded JC17 and that he only played 6 quarters before being benched for a guy that played at Toldeo and is known as the Polish cannon. Now please stop sucking on lemons and coming across as bitter.

Posted by: Diesel44

That's exactly it so where's the upgrade at WR gonna come from. Play the other "average" WR on your roster and stop wasting time with the others.

Like B Mitch said, Shanny's ego enormous and he's stubborn.

I was wondering when you were gonna hit me with the JC thing because its been a while. No comment buddy, there isn't much to say.

Posted by: dcwun | September 29, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Andy Reid: Letting McNabb go 'was a tough decision on my part'

I'm betting this 'decision' wasn't Andy's. Jeffrie Laury made the decision easy for him, "The Redskins are giving us 2 draft picks for a guy we think is too old, so we are trading him", then Andy said "yes sir!". That's about how it went.

Now truth be told, if it were 'Andy's decision', he would have ridden McNabb into the ground like a racehorse, Reid was very loyal to McNabb. I bet he felt helpless by having to let McNabb go and he couldn't do anything about it!

Posted by: monk811 | September 29, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks said "Who doesn't admire Michael Vick?"

Um... me. The dude had everything and screwed up big time. He has made a comeback and I am happy for him. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes, I don't know, but he definitely paid his dues to society. But let's not make this out to be some hard luck story. Dude was making millions, was an obvious spoiled moron with it, and had to file bankruptcy. He's lucky he had so much natural born ability or dude would be living out of a dumpster cuz he's obviously an idiot.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to the first Sunday ahead that isn't the small death that is a loss for Redskins fans...

Posted by: frak | September 29, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

4thfloor

"Roydell Williams and Devin Thomas were working in rain with K-MAC for at least 20 minutes..."

Question: Who do you prefer, the 3rd year player who's performed well on special teams or the vet guy who's been out of football, but practices better than the other guy?

(INSERT Jeopardy music and image of pretty but old Vanna White turning the letters F-U-C-K M-E N-O-W as the winning answer.)

Time's up: the 3rd year player with 4.3 speed, of course.

Devin Thomas can't be no better or worse than R Williams, so get him some face time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 29, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Well your special lady does love giving me blumpkins.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 3:02 PM

Yup, there it is.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

What Vick did with those dogs really is reprehensible. But it's amazing how some players can be forgiven for their transgressions, and others not.
Big Ben of Pittsburgh got a young woman drunk and according to eyewitness accounts, forced her into a bathroom where he possibly forced sex on her.
That's the second time he's been accused of sexual assault. Even the DA in GA. said he was pretty certain that something unlawful happened in that bar--he just couldn't gather enough evidence to bring an indictment.
Sexual assault (alleged) twice. But he gets a pass on most sports message boards.
Vick did his time--paid his debt to society--but for some reason he should be hated for the rest of his life for what he did.
Are we absolutely sure that the color of his skin has nothing to do with it?

Posted by: dzukijason | September 29, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

The Skins need to get a couple of new pit bull mascots and keep em near midfield.

This may serve as a distraction to Vick. Like choppin up a huge rail in front of Lindsay Lohan.

Posted by: skins91r | September 30, 2010 2:50 AM | Report abuse

andy reid letting mcnabb go was tough - bull reid is jumping for joy getting rid of that dead weight and what gave reid even more pleasure was the fact that mcnabb was sent right down I95 to the stupid deadskins and synder the fool, what a joke

Posted by: geg5100 | September 30, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: geg5100 | September 30, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

In a perfect world Rex Grossman or the other guy would come off the bench and guide the Redskins to victory over the dog-killing dirtbag Vick. However, in the real world my guess is that Reid will be justified for his decision to release McNaab. Eagles 33 Redskins 16.

Posted by: theBozyn | September 30, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse