Andy Reid recalls his 2008 benching of McNabb: "I don't think it's quite like this one."

By Rick Maese

One of the big questions entering Monday night's game against Philadelphia centers on Donovan McNabb and how he rebounds from being benched in his last outing. By now, you've no doubt heard that the only other time McNabb was benched in his career -- November 2008 -- he came back four days later and threw for 260 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions against the Cardinals in a Thursday game.

"I think we got Arizona at the right time on Thanksgiving weekend," said Eagles Coach Andy Reid. "They were on a short week and we had to catch them right. That kind of snowballed from there."

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Reid didn't delve too deep into the drama surrounding McNabb getting benched, and he didn't give many clues as to why McNabb was able to bounce back with such a strong game two years ago. But he did point out that in his mind, the 2008 benching seems to be different than this one.

"Donovan and I talked" at the time, Reid said. "I am not going to get into what we talked about, but we talked immediately after the game. He knew the reasons and everything else. We kept very open communication with him. I don't think it's quite like this one."

But Reid certainly isn't preparing any differently for McNabb just because the Redskins struggled against Detroit and Mike Shanahan opted to go with Rex Grossman late in the game. "Donovan can handle anything," said Reid, who coached McNabb for 11 years. "He is a strong-minded guy."

One key seems to be the relationship between coach and quarterback. Reid and McNabb came to Philadelphia together in 1999 and they grew together in their respective roles in the Philadelphia organization. While Shanahan and McNabb arrived in Washington around the same time, they expectation is clearly on McNabb to fit into Shanahan's system.

"Every coach is different on how they handle things," Reid said. "Talk about one of the all-time great coaches down there [in Shanahan]... Everybody does it different. They have had success doing it different ways. I am not here to judge or anything else. I am just trying to get my team ready to play the Washington Redskins."

By Rick Maese  | November 12, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ron Jaworski on Donovan McNabb: "It's a head-scratcher"
Next: Brandon Banks still not ruled out of Monday's game

Comments

he also doesn't think mcnabb can qb a team to a world championship

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

That would certainly speed things along for shanny's racist initiative.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for bringing in Kevin Curtis. I also thought PA's above post was very funny.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 12, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Worst part about this benching?

I hope McNabb plays lights-out on Monday night, after which he and Shanahan stroll hand-in-hand to midfield, turn toward to each other, bow, then engage in a 30-second open-mouth kiss. And then grab a microphone and announce, "That was for you, John Feinstein, you bottom-feeding troll."

Posted by: freakzilla | November 12, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"Worst part about this benching?

The fact that it happened a full 15 days before the next game, giving the media half a month to bang the drum and try to stir up controversy from every angle."

I agree 1,000,000%.

Let it go already. Shanny never tells the media anything so now they have to come up with new crap daily.

If they had played last weekend and won this is a dead issue.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 12, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 12, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Haha. And if I may add one more idea....

After #5 and Coach embrace/make out- Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen come out with one of those big Lottery Winner style checks to announce a 3 year $33 million extension for McNabb.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 12, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks WG...I am very funny haha

I'm not sure what to make of Andy Reid's comments that this isn't the same.

Should I expect 260 yards and 4 touchdowns this week? Or not?

Now I'm very confused.

Also, I have a very deep bench in my fantasy league...worth picking up Curtis as a flyer for the stretch run/playoffs? I have room with my byes over...screw it...I'm doing it...

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

So back to back threads on the McNabb benching?

Great.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 12, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Worst part about this benching?

I agree 1,000,000%.

If they had played last weekend and won this is a dead issue.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 12, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 12, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Haha. And if I may add one more idea....

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 12, 2010 12:23 PM

Too much guys hahaha

Just hope they don't cut away to commercial!

Of course they will.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Reid said it best "I don't think it's quite like this one."

i agree with him 100% it's not...it's two years later...on a different team with a different coach and it has NOTHING to do with the Eagle or ANDY REID> WHO CARES WHAT HE THINKS...He is not the coach here! Dumb story!

Posted by: leevi98 | November 12, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

McNabb got benched?!?!?!?! WTF!

Posted by: rupertpupkin | November 12, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Baby Godzilla:

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 12, 2010 11:10 AM

This says Godzilla's kids name is Minya...that's bs...I thought it was Godzookie?

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"But Jaworski had more to say. The thrust: He couldn't quite figure out the reasoning behind Coach Mike Shanahan's decision to pull McNabb in the final 1 minute, 50 seconds of the Oct. 31 loss at Detroit."

I thought this question had already been answered?

CARDIOVASCULAR ENDURANCE!

No, I don't really beleive that either.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

So back to back threads on the McNabb benching?

Great.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 12, 2010 12:28 PM

Stand by... I think the next thread is "The Haynesworth Saga: A Retrospective".

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Who cares!!!!??? Tell me how Banks and Protis are feeling and when the "O" is gonna start doing their share!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | November 12, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

...He then ate a 12 year old.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 12, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

So back to back threads on the McNabb benching?

Great.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 12, 2010 12:28 PM

Stand by... I think the next thread is "The Haynesworth Saga: A Retrospective".

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

McNabb got benched?!?!?!?! WTF!

Posted by: rupertpupkin | November 12, 2010 12:42 PM

Where did you hear this? Prob just one of BeantownGreg's fake posts.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Excellent!

But just to keep his options open I bet Reid titles it:

"The Albert Haynesworth Saga: A Tribute to a Work in Progress"

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 12, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

its gonna be funny when the Mcnabb benching goes the way of the Haynesworth trade story and these scum bags are still trying to "report" on it in DEC!! Talk about beating a corpse to death!!

Posted by: warriorking1112 | November 12, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

as if there was nothing more to write about for the past two weeks... didn't both parties involve state that they had put the incident behind them last week???

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 12, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

the question is, if Donnie stinks it up again, will this put more pressure on Shanahan to keep him in there? And will that cost us the game ?

I hope Mike's strong enough to make decisions based on how he feels and doesn't let the past 2 weeks interfere with his thought process. There's nothing worse than watching a struggling QB continue to blow opportunities for his team on offense in the hope that he'll suddenly figure it out in the 4th quarter. If he hasn't figured it out by halftime, he needs to be benched.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 12, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 12, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Hope Old Shanny has taken the opportunity to sit down with McNabb and discuss the real reasons for benching him for those last two minutes -- because everything that he has put on the record thus far is pure bull-manure.

Somebody should be entitled to know the truth -- even if its only McNabb.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

...If he hasn't figured it out by halftime, he needs to be benched.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 12, 2010 1:03 PM

That thinking would eliminate some nice comebacks! In fact, there were a couple of games just last week where the starting QB stunk in the 1st half (Oakland, Minny), but performed second-half and OT heroics to win.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

If he hasn't figured it out by halftime, he needs to be benched.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 12, 2010 1:03 PM

And if he gets benched...I'm going to bed...if I'm not there already.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | November 12, 2010 1:13 PM

Grossman coming into the game to lead us to a comeback victory would put the Redskins WPA at -8.40...and put my probablity of watching a hilarious re-run of Everybody Loves Raymond at 100%.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to get back to the discussion of how god awful that broadcast last night was.

I'll always love Joey T. but the NFLN has got to make an adjustment on the fly here. Yes, Papa is fine but it's brutal having to listen to Millen and Joe butcher what turned into a fine game.

I had to switch over to 30 rock/office for a break after halftime.

From what I see this morning the reviews are almost universally horrific.

Anyone think they may switch horses midstream?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 12, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought they were unbearable and almost ruined what was a very good NFL game.

That game had two would be game winning drives from two young QB's.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 12, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Every season has a midpoint (no, I won’t be giving out grades), and it comes with the same warning you get with that mutual fund purchase – past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

Yet, more often than not, the Skins first half DOES resemble the second half.

Year: 1st half record and 2nd half record
2004: 3-5 and 3-5
2005: 5-3 and 5-3
2006: 3-5 and 2-6
2007: 5-3 and 4-4
2008: 6-2 and 2-6
2009: 2-6 and 2-6

5 times in the past 6 years, the first half and second half records were very similar. If history repeats, we finish within a game of 8-8. Though 2007 looks similar between the 2 halves, it wasn’t. 5-3 turned into 5-6 and then Sean Taylor got murdered. The emotional team finished with 4 straight wins, while playing at a very high level.

The last time the Redskins won more games in the second half of the season was in 2001, with Schottenheimer at the helm (no 2001 Skins are on the 2010 roster, Albright and Samuels came closest). Worth mentioning, the greatest era of Skins football, the Gibbs 1.0 years, were noted for strong finishes.

I see no obvious reason for the second half of 2010 to deviate from the script of recent years, but I see more downside risk than upside.

We play an improved philly team this week, and the jints, the best in the NFC, twice. Tennessee is a formidable team, with a very aggressive defense and 3 unique weapons on offense. Surprising Tampa is a load this year. These 5 games are against teams with 5 or more Ws right now.

The softest opponents are Jax, who have still managed to be 4-4, and the ‘pukes. We’ll get Minny in a couple weeks, likely with their under the radar MVP, Sidney Rice, back. Strange team, Minny, -- teams typically don’t implode after a win. But if they are in the playoff hunt, it will be a tough game.

To go 4-4 in the 2nd half would be a solid accomplishment. It means winning the 2 softer games, and getting 2 upsets in the other 6. The defense has top 5 talent and Brandon Banks can transform a game (only for the better, so far). If the offense pitches in, we can get some quality wins. I haven’t given up on playoffs. At the start of the 2010, I gave us a 1 in 4 chance -- the odds are probably a tad worse.

There is one thing I would love to see – a marker that tells me we are in a different era. That would be a win over the jints. We’ve lost 7 of 8 to them (the W came in the windstorm game in the post ST21 run) and it has been our major matchup problem. Get to 8-8, including a win over the jints, and this season has the potential to be the building block many of us hoped it would become.

And that is your midterm version of ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, as always brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 12, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 12, 2010 1:59 PM

Nicely done.

Posted by: TWISI | November 12, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 12, 2010 1:59 PM

Nicely done.

Posted by: TWISI | November 12, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Indeed. Nice work!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan should start the game with Banks at QB running the wildcat, then on the first series use Grossman, next series use McNabb, next series use Beck and keep that rotation up throughout the game. By the end of the game everyone will be confused as hell. Shanahan will walk up to the podium and say, "I'm the coach and I say who plays. Any questions? Good. Suck it!" And walk off.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 12, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 12, 2010 1:59 PM

Nicely done.

Posted by: TWISI | November 12, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Indeed. Nice work!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2010 2:14 PM

I'll third that...but why are the eagles considered improved this time around? I thought they were considered nearly unstoppable last time we played?

Oh...and skins practicing Two Minute Drill tomorrow...watch out!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

McNabb will have a big second half and get the extension he deserves and we'll get the stability at QB we need...or he'll continue playing subpar ball, at which point we'll go our separate ways and have paid yet another steep price for a one year rental of mediocrity. I'm really hoping for Door #1 Monte. I'd say right now it's a coin flip whether he's under center in Maroon and Black or just the more traditional shade of Purple up north come 2011.

First things first - let's beat Philly and get back into this thing.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 12, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

BB = Banks Beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Can everyone just shut the F up about this race bs...

Does Feinstein know that Shanahan was the guy who gave Rick Smith his first job in an NFL personnel department? Smith went on to become the league's first black GM, at Houston.

Does Feinstein remember how Shanahan campaigned to help his wide receivers coach, Karl Dorrell, become the first black head coach in UCLA's history? And that he let him leave in the middle of the Broncos' season to do it?

Does Feinstein know what Shanahan did after receiving the call telling him that Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams had been killed in a drive-by shooting? He wept. On the phone.

Wasn't it Shanahan who wanted McNabb in the first place? Convinced Dan Snyder to trade for him? Wasn't McNabb black then? Or was there something wrong with the racial coding on Shanahan's flat-screen?

Posted by: SkinsFanVJ | November 12, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

JR is the worst reporter ever!! Totally sick of his negativity!! Grinds it in the ground! Now that AH is not providing anything, it's all about this crap now!! Go dig up some more you useless excuse for a reporter!

Posted by: SkinMan3 | November 12, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, when you work and play for the "Redskins," race is always an issue.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 12, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Can everyone just shut the F up about this race bs...

Posted by: SkinsFanVJ | November 12, 2010 2:27 PM

Wow...come on...it hasn't been mentioned for at least an hour and a half now.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 12, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm from Philadelphia, and have worked in DC for the last few years so I follow both teams. I never did think Shanahan was a good pick for the Redskins job -- he does have a megalomaniacal personality -- a need to be perceived as the one with the brains to deliver the goods. Pretty evident from his time in Oakland and Denver. Didn't win in Oakland and only won because he had a pretty damn good QB named Elway.

Unfortunately, the Haynesworth situation was handled poorly (by him and Allen, btw) and it did raise questions of profiling, even if it wasn't mentioned. Now doing what he did to McNabb was pretty stupid from a PR perspective considering this team is not a world beater and has some time for development. Given Mcnabb's controversial past in Philadelphia, they had to know it would be third rail to do what he did to McNabb.

One more similar kind of incident on treating a player in a disrespectful way should raise some doubts about this guy's ability to lead the team, and be cause for immediate dismissal.

Maybe this is why Al Davis hasn't paid him the rest of what he says he's due? lol

Mind you, I am no McNabb fan. Always felt he played down rather than up, and his annoying tendency to smile when things go bad, rather than rallying the troops, never sat well witgh anyone in Philadelphia. He has had a history of being chubby in recent years and combined with the leg injuries that likely restricts his movement. He also has a bad tendency of throwijg balls into the ground. He needs a good OC to guide him. Not quite sure if he has that right now.

Maybe those rumours of KC looking to trade for him are right, and if the price is right, might be smart for the Redskins to take the offer. He's not a long term solution anyhow.

Like the economy, call it a bad investment, donthe short sale, and move on. This team does not need this kind of controversy, especially after the Mayor's race in DC this year!

Posted by: dsda3731 | November 13, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Like the economy, call it a bad investment, do the short sale, and move on. This team does not need this kind of controversy, especially after the Mayor's race in DC this year!

Posted by: dsda3731 | November 13, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse