Posted at 1:17 PM ET, 01/13/2011

Bruce Allen speaks with Donovan McNabb's agent

By Jason Reid

Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen said Thursday he has spoken with quarterback Donovan McNabb's representative but declined to reveal the team's plans for the six-time Pro Bowler.

In a wide-ranging interview with reporters at Redskins Park, Allen discussed Washington's offseason plans in general and revealed he has had conversations with agent Fletcher Smith III, who blasted Coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan for their handling of McNabb during his first season with the team.

In a statement and in interviews, Smith made it clear that McNabb could not continue to work with the Shanahans unless conditions changed. People familiar with the situation recently said Smith and Shanahan - the Redskins' top football official - had hoped to speak early in the offseason.

It appears Allen and Smith have already started to discuss McNabb's future.

"Those decisions will come in time," Allen said of whether the team would attempt to trade McNabb or release him during the offseason.

"I've had conversations with Fletcher. Those conversations, I'm gonna keep between us. And as we evaluate the team, not only the quarterback position, the running back position, the offensive line, defense, all of those decisions will come in time."

The Redskins traded second and fourth round draft picks to the Philadelphia Eagles for McNabb, who was benched for the final three games and demoted to third string for the last two. People within the organization anonymously ripped McNabb for his workout habits and struggling to read defenses.

The situation deteriorated rapidly after Mike Shanahan benched McNabb late in a Week 8 loss to Detroit. Even Shanahan acknowledged late in the season that things were like a "soap opera."

For Allen, however, it was never personal. Just business.

"I don't get personally involved," Allen said. "My emotion and my heart are with the team. I don't blame one person for a win or...for a loss. Or credit one person with a win. Fortunately, [I] can see things through the team.

"We're all 6-10. It's not one person's fault that we're 6-10. It's the organization's [fault], including the players, the coaches and everybody that earns our record. And that is not where we wanted to be. We made some progress. But that's what this time is for, is to get better. How do we get better?"

Did the Redskins err in trading for McNabb?

"Well, when we made the decision to trade for Donovan, I think based on what we knew and what we were looking at, it was the right decision," Allen said. "How we perform in the future will determine that. No one's goal was just to win six games."

By Jason Reid  | January 13, 2011; 1:17 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Allen, Donovan McNabb, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Reid named new Post sports columnist
Next: Bruce Allen: Albert Haynesworth could return to Skins next season

Comments

"The situation deteriorated rapidly after Mike Shanahan benched McNabb late in a Week 8 loss to Detroit."

Yes it deteriorated so fast that Mcnabb signed an extension the week after.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | January 13, 2011; 1:17 PM ET

Rapidly? Didn't McNabb sign a new contract after he was benched?

Posted by: beep-beep | January 13, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"No one's goal was just to win six games."

So what is the goal?

Herein lies my core criticism of the Shallen regime. What is the plan?

Statements like this certainly lead me to believe the plan is just "win-now-we-are-a-couple-players-away" nonsense that we've been dealing with for about 15 years.

Are we rebuilding or not? Are we gonna bite the bullet for a year or 2 and do it the right way or not?

And if we are, just say that we are.

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Same stories different days.

'Skins, the unclassy and stupid organization they have become since Snyder bought team, will wait until they have to pay money then let him go.

The 'skins from owner on down lack class and DO NOT care for fans anymore.
ALL Snyder wants is money. QUIT buying season tickets and ALL 'Skins merchandise. Hit Snyder in the only place he knows and cares for - his pockets.

Posted by: mrcox54 | January 13, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes it deteriorated so fast that Mcnabb signed an extension the week after.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"No one's goal was just to win six games."

So what is the goal?

Herein lies my core criticism of the Shallen regime. What is the plan?

And if we are, just say that we are.

Posted by: p1funk

co-sign

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 13, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Horrible reporting.

Posted by: west_po_wolv | January 13, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

p1funk...

With all due respect, when have you ever heard a team call a press conference or ANNOUNCE that they are rebuilding.

Shanahan said last week, "this will take two to three years". That's the closest thing to "We're rebuilding" I think we're gonna get.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 13, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

So what is the goal?

Herein lies my core criticism of the Shallen regime. What is the plan?

And if we are, just say that we are.

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

p1, under your plan, what do you say to London Fletcher? Don't worry about winning now, we'll win in 2013? What player is going to buy in to that position? Only a 24-26 yer old. No veterans are going to lay it on the line if we aren't trying to win. You've got to make an attempt to win now. I'm not saying you should sell the future. The only questionable win-now step taken last season was DMac. Apparently it didn't pan out. But at least the players were motivated with the trade.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Same stories different days.

The 'skins from owner on down lack class and DO NOT care for fans anymore.

Posted by: mrcox54 | January 13, 2011 1:35 PM |

You sound like a little b-tch, take that cry baby sh-t somewhere else.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

This is the most you can get out of the guy?

He hasn't said sh!t......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 13, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Yes it deteriorated so fast that Mcnabb signed an extension the week after.

Posted by: Flounder21

Thanks for the reality check. Shanahan simply said he needed time to evaluate his other quarterbacks since they couldn't make the playoffs anyway, and the media has run with it, and the agent blew up. Shanahan and Allen are still saying they're evaluating the performance and needs of the team, as they should be. As for Allen not saying much, what do you want him to say? We haven't finished evaluating, but I'm going to shoot off my mouth about what we're going to do anyway? How professional would that be? Sometimes these comments can be so foolish, it's unbelievable.

Posted by: OintheSierras | January 13, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Be sure to include lotsa clips from your posts here.

MistaMoe? Funk? Monk? Beep-beep? Get to it!

Cork

Posted by: TheCork | January 13, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I call genius, and that means beep is the knucklehead! hahaha

Actually, I don't think they wanna read my NERD/SAVE THE WHALES/SPG schtick that I spew. In fact, they might just kick me out if they read my nonsense! No thanks, I'll stick to being an underling!

Posted by: monk811 | January 13, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

McNabb's Destination:

1) Arizona - The Cards are in a tough spot in 2 ways. They need to get back into the playoffs while they have a window, and they need to placate Larry Fitzgerald. McNabb helps them on both of those fronts. For McNabb's part, he's got a home in AZ, and after watching the 7-9 Seahawks win the division, he's got to be thinking that the NFC West is his easiest route back to the playoffs.

2) Dolphins - This is contingent on reports that Ray Childress might become their new OC. The Fins are also in "win-now" mode after having gone on a shopping spree last offseason. The Childress-McNabb connection is well known, and the big weak-link of the Dolphins has been their QB. Henne did not take the step forward they hoped, and Chad Pennington's arm is hanging onto his body with rubber bands and paper clips.

3) Minnesota - They want to get competitive again while AP is still in his prime, and before their aging defense and Oline totally fall apart. This was a stronger destination while Childress was there, but if they are planning on continuing to run the same WCO that was in place, then McNabb could step in and run it for a few years while Joe Webb develops behind him.

4) San Francisco - It's an offense that has playmakers in position (Gore, Davis, Crabtree) and needs a QB to run it. McNabb may like the idea of being coached by an ex-QB, and playing in the weak NFC West. WCO was born in SanFrancisco.

5) Tennessee - They need some kind of solution at QB. I don't know how much McNabb would be an upgrade for them over Kerry Collins, but you have to put it on the list of possibilities.

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

We need some good poop jokes right about now...or maybe some haiku...or haiku about poop.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 13, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes it deteriorated so fast that Mcnabb signed an extension the week after.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | January 13, 2011; 1:17 PM ET

Rapidly? Didn't McNabb sign a new contract after he was benched?

Posted by: beep-beep | January 13, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Look whose copying off papers now???

Posted by: monk811 | January 13, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...wake me up when the Redskins are competitive. Shanahan, Zorn, Schottenheimer, Norv. WHATEVER.

Posted by: 4472jon | January 13, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4472jon | January 13, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

What do I say to London Fletcher? Am I orienting my franchise-building philosophy around London Fletcher?

I say nothing to London Fletcher. I expect him to show up, honor his contract, and play hard like all the other players who work for me.

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

He will be a junior this upcoming year. Not sure why he is coming back. First player in D1 to average 100 yards and a TD for a season.
Plus they lost their OC Dana Holgorsen, who takes his fine talent to wild and wonderful West Virginia.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 13, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Look whose copying off papers now???

Posted by: monk811 | January 13, 2011 1:55 PM

At least I have the good sense to copy off the paper of an A student. Your loser team is copying off one of the C+ guys.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 13, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The WR draft corp just got thinner. Blackmon decided to matriculate his senior year.

Posted by: TheCork | January 13, 2011 12:49 PM

Malcolm Floyd (SD) and James Jones (GB) become UFA. Would be good to get a game changer, but the Skins are not THAT bad off at WR ... at least in that there are a couple few developmental guys on the roster plus Malcolm Kelly could, in theory, become healthy one day.

Just need on more reliable additional receiver. Who knows, maybe Roydell Wiliams will discover better hands during the offseason.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"maybe Roydell Wiliams will discover better hands during the offseason."

Sometimes the most simple of statements not even malicious ones that i read on RI can really bum my day out. This is one.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 13, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

All the disfunction at Redskins Park makes me want to poop my pants.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 13, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

McNabb's agent told bruce allen to "Please release my client." Obviously, allen said "heck no!!". Thats what the mtg was about. At least p1funk is looking forward for McNabb since the redskins are not.

Posted by: djv123 | January 13, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

McNabb's Destination: ...

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:52 PM

This one seems like the most likely destination to me. Also the most likely place for him to succeed b/c of the running game like you mention. Would be good if the other FOUR teams actually were interested, esp. in competing with each other to give the Skins something in return.

I also could see McNabb being interested in playing with Chilly (Brad, not Ray), but I don't see Miami being any better next year, so it would seem that Miami would be a sloppy seconds choice for him.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 13, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's surprising and kind of a bummer b/c I'd have loved to draft him this year.

Scouts and his coach have said that his route running is still pretty raw. I'm thinking that he still projects outside of the Top 10 and guys like Jones and Green are ahead of him.

I guess he wants to hit a big homerun with that first contract, and with Weeden returning to OK St. they can keep the magic alive together for one more year.

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse

McNabb's Destination:

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:52 PM

SF seems like it would be the only interesting one from his perspective (and only about the RBs and WRs ... wouldn't think he would care about the coach or the birthplace of WCO). Miami seems destined for bottom dwelling for a while yet, but Chilly (Brad, not Ray) would seem like it might be the thing for McNabb if it was about being able to install his OWN offense. Sure would be good to have five teams competing with each other to offer something to the Skins.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Look whose copying off papers now???

Posted by: monk811 | January 13, 2011 1:55 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | January 13, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or did you just bust on yourself?

Loser team eh? I think beep needs a vacation to get back to his old self. He's actually talking to us and agknowledging us, he's using our language, in fact, you kinda sound like one of us!!! Welcome to the loser team, even though I think we're too good for you! How about we trade you to pabrainiac's team, I think he has an opening......

Posted by: monk811 | January 13, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Nobody is fooling anybody here -- McNabb wants his release. It looks like Bruce Allen, as Shanahans mouth piece, said "NO" !!. What a burden to Snyder AND Shanahan to carry Haynesworth and now McNabb -- with no production from either one of them.

Posted by: djv123 | January 13, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: djv123 | January 13, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

McNabb to Miami if Childress goes there makes complete sense.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 13, 2011 2:17 PM | Report abuse

So what is the goal?

Herein lies my core criticism of the Shallen regime. What is the plan?

Posted by: p1funk

P1, I hear what you are saying but in Shanny's defense, what would you have done in your first year? I think all of us would have tried to win (they drafted the best available free agent qb) now. Yet once they got to know the players and learn the reality of the sitiuation Shanny said it may take 2-3 years.

I think he has made clear to the locker room his plan: competition at every level, and work your but off. I have not been supportive of every decision, but think we are headed in the right direction.

Posted by: rodskin | January 13, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Who wouldn't want McNabb...he's been a winner his entire career...let the bidding begin!

Posted by: PlayAction | January 13, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher: Release my client.

Allen: Sure.

Fletcher: What? You'll do that?

Allen: Sure.

Fletcher: Okay, I'll just step out and tell Don the good news.

Allen: Just be sure to get a fifth round draft pick from the team that is going to sign him and get the deal done before the draft... And, yes, Shanahans Junior and Senior would like written apologies for the BS you spouted in the media. Other than that, it is a done deal.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 13, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Right. Brad Childress.

Who the heck is Ray Childress, and where did I get that from?

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

AH returns to SKins beeps!

Posted by: kerzon417 | January 13, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

... Scouts and his coach have said that his route running is still pretty raw. ...

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 2:13 PM

They said the same thing about Devin Thomas before he was drafted ... and for a few years afterwards.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

So what is the goal?

Herein lies my core criticism of the Shallen regime. What is the plan?

Posted by: p1funk

Exactly! Mine too. They should announce what they're doing with McNabb, Portis and every other player on the roster. All the FA and UFA. Then they should announce which free agents they're targeting and how they rank the draft class. Maybe put out a powerpoint or publish the list on redskins.com. And next season, during home games, they should announce the upcoming plays over the PA system or have a "blitz song" the band can play so we're all kept abreast of every blitz they plan on running. You know, just so we're all on the same page and we all know "the plan."

Posted by: MrChip1 | January 13, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

How about McNabb back to Philly. They are going to have to get rid of Kolb and will need a backup or starter when Vick gets crushed. Skins take the 4th round pick back and call it a big mistake. Also, I think the top guys we hired last year deserve a chance. They probably know a little more than so of the folks here calling for a change already. Give them a chance. That's the same thinking that has kept the skins in the basement for so long. Norv had them going, Marty S. had them going...what happened there. Snyder has changed, Shanny and Bruce are football guys. Give them a chance

Posted by: CROSSHugger | January 13, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

If memory serves, I thought the meeting was supposed to be between Shanny and Smith -- to preumably cover why things wnet down the way they did this year, and what the future might hold for Flether M. Smith III's illustrious client.

I'm sure that Bruce Allen is a nice guy and perhaps even a patient listener -- but frankly, he is serving as the ceremonial eunuch for Team Shanahan -- you know, installed into position close to the real rulers but castrated and neutered of any real power -- and therefore, acting only as a figurehead, liaison and/or man-servant.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 13, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Why the SJK would we RELEASE a guy we gave up TWO picks for?! We gotta at least recoup one of those.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 13, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Still asking ...

Is Mike Shanahan really just a Chinese mother? I swear I could see substituting a surprisingly small number of things in this article to make it about Shanny.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 13, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Was there ever any discussion over the fact that incentives that would have increased the additional pick to a 3rd rounder if McNabb met certain performance metrics for Yardage, touchdowns, and wins might have played a factor in the skins Benching McNabb for the final 3 games. Not saying it's the only reason, but it certainly could have played a role. They only benched him after they were eliminated from teh playoffs so there was no competitive incentive to have him reach those metrics that would have forced triggered them giving Philly a 3rd round pick instead of a fourth, to go along with the second round pick.

Posted by: FB1843082912 | January 13, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

McNabb's Destination:

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse
=============================================
Add Cleveland to that list as well since they've named Pat Shurmur as the coach. He was McNabb's QB coach in Philly.

Posted by: clark202 | January 13, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

You people are relentless!! McNabb STUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has NO future in DC, and Shanahan isn't going to stroke any aging egos while trying to get Younger.....HINT You MORONS, Shanny already gave us his plan..."Get YOUNGER" !!!!!!! Are you REALLY that DENSE Zce-zce, Flounder, Pfunk?????? Bueller??? You idiots have NO RIGHT to spread your ignorance in these Forums! He GAVE us his PLAN ALREADY!!!

Posted by: wewbank1 | January 13, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Perplex here: I'm perplexed about the Redskins. I know they need time but we're fooling ourselves if we think we have the pieces to challenge for the Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years. We may be only 2-3 years away from knocking on the door of a playoff caliber team and not a consistent one at that. I was upset when they won the 6 games because after it was pretty certain that we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I didn't see the point of worsening our draft position. Now I want us to win; but are we kidding ourselves? We have old overrated underacheivers. Six wins is good if we are building on a consistent young athletic up and coming dinomo consistently in the playoffs and improving year after year and that pourous 3-4 defense! I understand that most see this as unethical and you're correct ;but in the big picture we need to start with young, fast, strong athletes via the draft(stop mortgaging our picks for a quick thrill) and hire a keen evaluator of talent. How is it year after year N.E., Pitt, Balt, Phil, Indy. discover talent after talent? I mean really why was Shanny and Allen tossed? The overrated their own ability to evaluate talent. Shanny just coach, Allen take care of Danny's $$$ but fine a guy with an eye for talent. I think again we need to start stock piling O-Line and D-Line except there is a can't miss WR, CB, FS, or LB out there. QB is what we need too and I'm glad perhaps we'll go back into the Luck sweepstakes. I was so impressed that I was willing to mortgage at least 2 first rounders and a key player for the guy. We need to build our lines up. Remember the Hogs? Little known Timmy Smith ran crazy behind them, along with Earnest Byner,John Riggins and others. With a great offensive line you can get by with a good to average QB and good receivers/rb's. We should go after the DT either in Balt. or the Big Nasty from Auburn(Fairly) or the LSU safety or another Matthews-He's nasty like his big brother (as in Clay's little brother at Oregon). We can get other pieces (and we need to be careful and judge their career pattern not their new contract play)from free Agency but we must be patient and stockpile like Philly; they're set for years..young, talented and loaded. Get a clue Snyder. Shannahans I don't so much disagree with your decisions..you've won Super bowls (not without John though) and Bruce (you're a fairly decent evaluator) but how you treat players will be a real turnoff to future talent taking a chance on coming to D.C. and not just to pull the wool over Danny boys eyes and leave town as a malecontent like FAT ALBERT. This is now a fantacy team Danny..we love our skins and have been with them before you were born in some cases and remember the Cookes who cared about winning and the fans..not just trying to market a brand and tease us year after year and then claim they are honestly trying to win and you and I know they are just pacifying the fans and padding their pockets.

Posted by: anointedebony | January 13, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Perplex here: I'm perplexed about the Redskins. I know they need time but we're fooling ourselves if we think we have the pieces to challenge for the Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years. We maybe only 2-3 years away from knocking on the door of a playoff caliber team and not a consistent one at that. I was upset when they won the 6 games because after it was pretty certain that we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I didn't see the point of worsening our draft position. Now I want us to win but are we kidding ourselves. We have old overrated underacheivers. Six wins is good if we are building on a consistent young athletic up and coming dinomo. I understand that most see this as unethical and you're correct but in the big picture we need to start with young, fast, strong athletes via the draft(stop mortgaging our picks for a quick thrill) and hire a keen evaluator of talent. How is it year after year N.E., Pitt, Balt, Phil, Indy. discover talent after talent? I mean really why was Shanny and Allen tossed? The overrated their own ability to evaluate talent. Shanny just coach, Allen take care of Danny's $$$ but fine a guy with an eye for talent. I think again we need to start stock piling O-Line and D-Line except their is a can't miss WR, CB, FS, or LB out there. QB is what we need too and I'm glad perhaps we go back into the Luck sweepstakes. I was so impressed that I was willing to mortgage at least 2 first rounders and a key player. We need to build our lines up. Remember the Hogs? Little known Timmy Smith ran crazy behind them, along with Earnest Byner,John Riggins and others. With a great offensive line you can get by with a good to average QB and good receivers/rb's. We should go after the DT either in Balt. or the Big Nasty from Auburn(Fairly) or the LSU safety or another Matthews-He's nasty like his big brother (as in Clay's little brother at Oregon). We can get other pieces (and we need to be careful and judge their career pattern not their new contract play)from free Agency but we must be patient and stockpile like Philly; they're set for years..young, talented and loaded. Get a clue Snyder. Shannahans I don't so much disagree at your decisions..you've won Super bowls (not without John though) and Bruce (you're fairly decent evaluator) but how you treat players will be a real turnoff to future talent taking a chance on coming to D.C. and not just to pull the wool over Danny boys eyes and leave town as a malecontent like FAT ALBERT. This is now a fantacy team Danny..we love our skins and have been with them before you were born in some cases and remember the Cookes who cared about winning and the fans..not just trying to market a brand and tease us year after year and then claim they are honestly trying to win and you and I know they are just pacifying the fans and padding their pockets.

Posted by: anointedebony | January 13, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"People within the organization anonymously ripped McNabb for his workout habits and struggling to read defenses."

So did those sources report that to *you*, Mr. Mayor, or are you anonymously citing ESPN here? Because, as a reader, there's a huge difference between the two, and I can't tell which from the writing.

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 13, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

So, all we really know about this "wide-ranging interview", is that, from the 'Skins perspective, the McNabb deal looked good at the time.
Thanks for the scoop.

Posted by: trebor0012 | January 13, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who finds the picture of McNabb freezing cold on the sideline a little bit annoying? Skins season is over, enough already.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2011 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Management will not let the Skins season die. They are consistently in the news for ridiculous statements. Stop trying to hold on to players whose value have been devalued based on your inept management. If the Shanahans egos were not so out of control, the handling of both Haynesworth and McNabb could have actually netted the Skins with something of value. Instead, who would give draft picks for either when everyone knows they will be cut. The Skins are borderline ridiculous with their plans and leadership. Unbelievable how blindly some Skins follow this laughingstock of an organization.

Posted by: Jizel | January 13, 2011 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive !

Posted by: killerskunk63 | January 13, 2011 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive !

Posted by: killerskunk63 | January 13, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive !

Posted by: killerskunk63 | January 13, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see Bruce Allen taking an active role in improving the team. Allen knows that the value of the franchise is in building a long-term winner without regressing. Allen should be the public face of the franchise given his background, his business skills, and his family's history with the team. Shanahan should coach, Allen should manage the club. Allen will win more season ticket holders, and Shanahan can deliver a winning product on the field.

Posted by: bfjam | January 13, 2011 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Armchair quarterbacks
Armchair managers
Armchair coaches
Not impressed with the knowitalls. Not convincing me they know anywhere near as much as the coach and staff.

Posted by: kls1 | January 13, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, we as fans knew this was not going to be easy turning the team around, dont care who we got as coach. I'm happy that the people in place wanted to try, we all knew this was not a super bowl year. We didnt have the players, we all crossed our fingers and hoped. I know I did question which coach would have gotten us instant winner, ummm whoever would have to start over just as they have. Whatever happens we will be glued to our tvs next year to see what happens, i know i will and so will you see you next season, peace

Posted by: joebob5055 | January 13, 2011 9:18 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is gettin the heat for the loss at home to the Eagles where the DEFENSE gave up more than 50 points. He is a scapegoat. There is no other way to spin this -- a team does not resign a player to a multi-million dollar contract if they are still unsure of him and "evaluating" him. The Skins are dishonest towards their players. I can deal with a lot of things, but once you start creating an dishonest dialouge in the press, then you further alienate the team's future because why would anyone want to play for jerks?

I'll start following the Skins again when they get rid of their leadership. I could stand behind all the other puppets, but can't anymore. I can't wait to tell the Skins I'm not renewing my season tickets and outline exactly why. Its lovely how money talks.

Posted by: slydell | January 13, 2011 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Mrcox54: "If you don't want to buy season tickets or merchandise then don't, I think the rest of us can chose for ourselves."

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
You're being nasty again, Flounder21. I can assure you that there are many fans, myself included, who feel the same as Mrcox. We will stop buying merchandise and no longer groom our children and grandchildren to be Redskins fans. With other coaches, there was always the hope that we would win the next year. With Shanahan and his son in charge, nepotism and cronyism rule. Many of us have lost our love for the team. Let's see how many seats you and your buddies can fill, huh?

Posted by: lacy41 | January 14, 2011 12:18 AM | Report abuse

I expect things to happen sooner rather than later. I am not sure exactly when a lockout will start, but most teams are going to want make their acquisions before that happens. The lockout will probabbly last 6-8 games and when the 2011-12 season starts there won't be a whole lot of time for personell moves.

Posted by: akmzrazor | January 14, 2011 7:06 AM | Report abuse

2 Face McNabb and his agent can just hit the road. Tiered of hearing about Philly McNabb. Did you dumbies watch him play? The Offense looked terrible because he is inaccurate and unable to get them in any rythem.Reason = he did not study hard enough to know the offense inside and out.

Posted by: petestrates | January 14, 2011 7:06 AM | Report abuse

"...what we knew at the time..." You've got to be kidding me! There were ELEVEN (11) years of film on McNabb. What Shanny and Allen knew was that Snyder told them to get another marquee name and pump up ticket sales, etc. This is supposed to be a top-notch GM and coach combination...? What a joke - they didn't know how to evaluate McNabb after he was in the NFL for ELEVEN (11) years...? What a pathetic joke.

Posted by: i155133 | January 14, 2011 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: i155133 | January 14, 2011 7:49 AM | Report abuse

There intentions is for you to pay a premium on beer and wine ect.

Terrible officiating,silly rules are killing it for me.

You know the deal the NFL sucks!
It's not the game i grew to love.
It's a becoming a horrible company.

Posted by: shamken | January 14, 2011 8:13 AM | Report abuse

There intentions is for you to pay a premium on beer and wine ect.

Terrible officiating,silly rules are killing it for me.

You know the deal the NFL sucks!
It's not the game i grew to love.
It's a becoming a horrible company.

Posted by: shamken | January 14, 2011 8:15 AM | Report abuse

The Redskin's need talented youth on both sides of the ball. That means the best bet is likely trading McNabb and Haynesworth for draft picks - if they get lucky enough to find trading partners before being forced to release them.

I'm curious about Allen's draft strategy. With the R1 pick, is it AJ Green WR, Nick Fairley DT, or a QB?

You know Snyder wants the sexy WR, Shanahan wants a QB, and Allen wants Fairley. The fans want a real OL.

Should be fun to watch.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | January 14, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I keep telling everyone to CALM DOWN! D Mac will be the starting QB next year. Shanahan said he wanted to see if Grossman could play, and that's what he did. He didn't say, "Donovan has played poorly, so we're going in a different direction." He also said, "Since we're eliminated from playoff contention..." McNabb was not benched!!!! Once they had no chance of going to the playoffs, he gave Grossman a chance to show his stuff. I just wish he would have done the same with Perry Riley, James Davis, Terrence Austin and a few other young guys. I also say trade Fletcher NOW. You still may be able to get a 4th for him so do it! I know he is their most steady defensive player and a true professional, but in three years when this team is ready to contend, where will he be? In his recliner eating popcorn, that's where. So if you can get a draft pick, do it now.

Posted by: largetony86 | January 14, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Also, would they have given McNabb a fat new contract if they didn't think he was "the guy?" They re-signed him midseason but waited until the offseason to evaluate him? I'm not buying it. I think Shanahan knows exactly what he's doing (I'm not saying it will ultimately work--but he has a plan.) I don't like the benching of McNabb at the end of the Detroit game or how he let Haynesworth be a side show the entire season, but I'm giving Shanahan the benefit of the doubt, for now. Even the switch to the 3-4 now was a good idea if you look at it from the right angle. Why not do it now so the 3 players (Orakpo, Hall and Landry) still here when you have the rest of the personnel will be fully up to speed? It makes sense.

Posted by: largetony86 | January 14, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: largetony86 | January 14, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I recently saw a mock draft that had the Redskins taking a wide receiver. Please, please, please, no more wide receivers. Have we forgotten Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Deven Thomas, and Malcom Kelley? The Redskins need Linemen on both sides of the ball that can block and rush the passer. How about Pouncey from Florida? 300 plus lbs and can play Center or Guard.

Posted by: mv0237 | January 14, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Probably what will happen is that both McNabb and Haynesworth go to other teams (which is good for all parties involved). Then they both come back with their new teams and beat the Redskins, like Brad Johnson did with Minnesota.

Sorry to be so pessimistic. It's just getting hard to keep believing.

Posted by: supattapone | January 14, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to say that Shanahan is over the hill, but consider that no Super Bowl winning coach has ever even returned to the playoffs when he's been out of them for 4 straight years of coaching like Shanahan has.

Also consider that it's been so long since his last Super Bowl season that at the time:

-Bill Clinton was being impeached

-tv's and computer monitors came in big tubes

-the internet was still dial-up with some company with the weird name of AOL

-Jerry Seinfeld was still funny/relevant

-flip cell phones were expensive state of the art

-not only was Google not a verb, it wasn't even a company

-houses were worth more than the mortgages on them

-Bernie Madoff was on the Board of Governors of NASDAQ

-pagers were banned in schools

-gold was $280 (today $1370)

-crude oil was $12 (today $90)

-Michael Jordan was still a world champion Chicago Bull

-MTV still played music videos

-Sarah Palin was the newly elected mayor of Wasillia

-Superman could still find a public phone booth to change in

-Ted Turner and Jane Fonda were still controversial

-Barack Obama was an unknown state senator from Illinois

-Russia was a democracy

-GM was the biggest car company in the world

-Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning were considered to have equally bright futures in the NFL.

Posted by: 54465446 | January 14, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Not to worry. McNabb will become a free agent and go on to star for some other team. Maybe Shanacannot will trade him to Denver for the rights to Jake Plummer.Someone should ask the people in Tampa why they had to fire Bruce Allen. That's an interesting story all by itself.

Posted by: sameolddoc | January 14, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sameolddoc | January 14, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Shanahan's plan is to do the same as he did in Denver after Elway retired:

"The Shanahan Plan"
Year 1 - Miss the playoffs
Year 2 - Barely make the playoffs; get wiped out in the wild card game. Promise that we're "almost there."
Year 3 - Miss the playoffs
Year 4 - Miss the playoffs
Year 5 - Barely make the playoffs; get wiped out in the wild card game. Promise that we're "almost there."
Year 6 - Barely make the playoffs; get wiped out in the wild card game. Promise that we're "almost there."
Year 7 - Make the playoffs; get destroyed in the championship game. Promise that "we're improving and we're one piece away"
Year 8 - Miss the playoffs
Year 9 - Miss the playoffs
Year 10 - Miss the playoffs; get fired. Pass the job on to his son.

Now if someone can clone John Elway and bring him to Washington, Lombardi Trophy here we go!!

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | January 14, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think i155133 hit the nail on the skinhead; shannies were smart enough to see the team needed rebuilding, but sure that Snidy put pressure on them to at least pursue a fat FA. McMann filled the bill and placated Snidy -- NOW the Shannies can build around a young, fresh QB.

Posted by: desertazdog | January 14, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Why are you all so negative?

6-10 ain't good, but all but one of those games were fun to watch. It was good football and it's going to get better.

Posted by: tallyhohohoho | January 14, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Father and son do coach on the same team, maybe the son is the WR coach, QB coach, RB coach, etc., but not offensive coordinator. This is too much of a conflict of interest in the overall scheme of things. Junior must go! I'm taking a sabbatical from all things Redskins.

Posted by: md207 | January 15, 2011 7:45 AM | Report abuse

No Qb, No Rb, No Wr, and last but not least we cant even get a decent field goal kicker! I dont care where they start because if we dont get some scouts with an eye for talent we will FOREVER be the laughingstock of the NFL!

Posted by: thumz816 | January 15, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: thumz816 | January 15, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

wewbank1 -

HINT You MORONS, Shanny already gave us his plan..."Get YOUNGER" !!!!!!!

*******************************************

Yeah... that why he brought in DM and a host of wide receivers that are about a week away from collecting social security cecks.

Posted by: oldnova | January 16, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

wewbank1 -

HINT You MORONS, Shanny already gave us his plan..."Get YOUNGER" !!!!!!!

*******************************************

Posted by: oldnova | January 16, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

wewbank1 -

HINT You MORONS, Shanny already gave us his plan..."Get YOUNGER" !!!!!!!

*******************************************

Posted by: oldnova | January 16, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

wewbank1 -

HINT You MORONS, Shanny already gave us his plan..."Get YOUNGER" !!!!!!!

*******************************************

Posted by: oldnova | January 16, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: petestrates | January 14, 2011 7:06 AM

********************************************

Excellent analysis of the situation!

I am sure that is exactly what Shallen was thinking when they gave him a contract extension after watching him play for 8 games.

Incompetance starts at the top!

Posted by: oldnova | January 16, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Although it seems unlikely because of all that's happened, I hope McNabb stays. Yes, he just had his worst season ever but the Redskins have been among the league's worst teams for nearly two decades now and McNabb is not part of the problem. Bring him back and you have a hard working QB with proven ability and a winning record. He's a player you can build a team around.

Posted by: scg1055 | January 17, 2011 3:59 AM | Report abuse

Do they pass-out KoolAide at these events?

Posted by: stillAfan1 | January 19, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse