Posted at 3:10 PM ET, 12/17/2010

Cowboys defensive end: 'We were pretty happy about the news'

By Rick Maese

Word spread quickly today across the Cowboys' practice facility in Irving, Texas that the quarterback they'd been preparing to face all week would instead be holding a clipboard on the sidelines. So what was the reaction when they learned Rex Grossman would be the starting quarterback for the Redskins on Sunday in place of Donovan McNabb?

"Everybody started smiling," Dallas defensive end Jason Hatcher said Friday in the Cowboys' locker room. "We were pretty happy about the news."

Dallas had prepared all week to face the McNabb. Though they received the news early enough on Friday morning, there are apparently no major tweaks to the Cowboys' defensive gameplan. If anything, according to Hatcher, it makes their job easier.

"We'll take Rex over McNabb any day," he said. "[McNabb's] hard to contain. He's hard to bring down and he can make plays with his legs and his arm. Not taking anything away from Rex Grossman, I think he's a good quarterback also."

Dallas Coach Jason Garrett said the team studied film of McNabb and practiced as though that's who'd they'd face on Sunday at Cowboys Stadium. Thought Mike Shanahan has reshuffled the deck in Washington, the Cowboys don't see a reason to re-write their plan.

"I think we prepare for the Washington Redskins offense as the most important thing," Garrett said Friday. "We certainly have great respect for Donovan McNabb and also Rex Grossman, and it'll be a great challenge for us. But you prepare for their offense and their offensive philosophy as much as you do individual players."

By Rick Maese  | December 17, 2010; 3:10 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sally Jenkins: Shanahan needed to take this step
Next: DeAngelo Hall: 'I don't think none of us saw it coming'

Comments

eff sally jenkins!

How a paper can have columnists that don't live in the community is beyond me.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 17, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys by 40!

Posted by: 4-12 | December 17, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"We'll take Rex over McNabb any day"

"Not taking anything away from Rex Grossman, I think he's a good quarterback also"

LMAO

Posted by: PlayAction | December 17, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

WHO THE F MADE THAT STATEMENT?

STEPHEN HAWKING?

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 17, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

If McNabb is playing for Mini-soda or Zona next year, I'll bet he won't have one bounce pass against us.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 17, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

How many did he throw against Philly this year? Cause I think that would be the barometer for next year if we play them.

Posted by: Devo2 | December 17, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are officially insane.

This is no way to buy loyalty from your team members.

Posted by: Benson | December 17, 2010 2:51 PM

You'd think the gigantic paychecks would buy at least a little loyalty.

Incidentally, Benson, I thought you did your best work when you were still Lt. Governor. Especially the way you regularly owned Clayton Endicott III.

Once you got the top job, you kind of lost your edge. No offense.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 17, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"[McNabb's] hard to contain. He's hard to bring down and he can make plays with his legs and his arm."

I knew Dallas was in an earlier time-zone, but I didn't know you had to set your watches back five years on landing...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 17, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

How could you not smile. It assures them that won't finish in last place.

Posted by: dcwun | December 17, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

Santa:

Can I one day get a coaching staff for the skins that is less concerned with their precious schemes and playbook but instead accesses and analyzes the skills/talents/abilities/strengths of the players available and creates gameplans that highlight the strengths and minimize/hide the weakness. I think it used to be called "coaching"

Ever since Bill Walsh in modern NFL we have coaches who have "a way"...Fine if your Bill Walsh but usually fails when your "philosophy" gets in the way of your ability to adapt.

Seems to me both our key cord's Little Baby Shanny and Haze-lett...and by extension Shanahan have fallen victem to this.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Well we can hope Jason Hatcher will make his 2nd start of his 5 year career this Sunday.

Probably not happening though.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

This is an unabashed effort to stay in the Cam Newton sweepstakes.

Lose the last 3 while trying out your scrubs.

Fine by me.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Love her or hate her, the fact is, Jenkins nailed this situation in her column.

It's a spot on analysis that any of you criticizing this benching need to read.

Although I wonder if some of you can read.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 17, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

garrett said "we studied all of Grossman's plays this season on film and what we concluded was that, 100% of the time, he fumbles it away for a TD, sealing defeat for his team. We're looking forward to facing him on Sunday. Because he's a good QB and a real test for us. You know."

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Cam Newton sweepstakes

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 17, 2010 3:24 PM

Is it a requirement to purchase magazine subscriptions to enter?

Posted by: PlayAction | December 17, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Good luck tackling Ryan Torain Jason...um...what was the last name again?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 17, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Of course hindsight is 20/20 - or as Spurrier says, "50/50."

They - Shanny and Allen - screwed up by trading for #5.

But when you fock up, you have two choices: either try and cover your mistake, or just own up to it, cut your losses and move forward.

To Shanny's credit, he owned up to the mistake, and said as much on Doc's radio show earlier.

Now... Let's think about drafting Fig Newton.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 17, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey CL
I agree with you on JC and the wasting of draft picks. I wish we could have stuck with him for at least one more year and saved the picks. That said, they treated the guy like crap and there was too much drama surrounding him, even though none of it was his fault.
And yes the handling of this and AH was clumsy, but I think that has more to do intense media scrutiny and fan interest than anything else. Coach had to win the AH thing. Gaming him or being patient might have got us a trade or a draft pick next season, but it would have cost the coach the team. Likewise with DMac. Shanahan benched him in Detroit because he was pissed about the crappy way he was playing. But he couldn't or didn't say it for whatever reason. Maybe letting him play out the stretch would have netted us a pick next year. But I'm not sure benching him now changes that. We still have his rights don't we? If he played out the remaining games and they pretended he was the man going forward that would increase DMac's value. But only until we fished around for a trading partner. The second word gets out that the team is looking to trade him he becomes just as valuable as he is now. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see how benching him now and expressing doubt about his return changes anything. There are still teams out there that think they could get something out of him. Hell look at all the people on this blog who are blind to the way he's been playing.
As for the father son thing, I get what you're saying. But I'm still going along for the ride for one more season. I figured if I could stomach 2 years of the ol' ball coach and ten years of vinny, I handle one more of this.

Skins 35
Cowcrap 7

Posted by: mack1 | December 17, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Early each Monday morning, before the players start to arrive for their morning workouts in the cramped weight training room of the Redskins practice facility -- Ol' Shanny the head curmudgeon scrawls a word or two onto the white board in the front of the team meeting room.

The word is meant to focus the players on what they should strive to accomplish as they prepare for their next opponent -- and suggest they should commit themselves as individuals and as a team to attaining and sustaining certain high principles, core values or other noteworthy characteristics that separate the truly great from the merely good or lesser mortals.

On occasion, the words have been truly prophetic and inspirational -- like one week earlier this season when strong safety Laron Landry made it his personal mission to "Dominate" -- or another game a few weeks later when the mighty mouse / return specialist Brandon Banks decided to give a one-man clinic on the importance of "Field Position."

Unfortunately, as is often the case at Redskin Park -- there were other times when things did not go so well as intended. Like the time some wayward janitor erased the coach's words and scrawled instead, "FU AH92." The trouble was, given his advanced age and myriad of responsibilities the head coach mistook the message for his own, and although he could not exactly remember writing it, he decided must make it happen all the same -- and subsequently suspended the franchise's poster child for conduct detrimental to the team -- that is, pissing in the Redskins’ communal showers while his other teammates were trying to wash up after practice.

This week, and coming off yet another embarrassing loss in a season full of many such debacles, Ol’ Shanny decided to come in a little earlier Monday morning. With determination in his step and a glint in his eye, he strode straight to the board like Moses coming down from the mountain to share the God’s own commandments. He then wrote the following words in indelible ink: “Hang Time.”

And as it was written, so shall it be.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 17, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

DC Sports are a mess...

Wizards keep losing...

Skins have the DEVIL for a head coach who keeps embarrassing us in the NATIONAL as well as local media...

Even the usually reliable Caps suck....

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 17, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to laugh my a$$ off when Grossman throws for three touchdowns.

We can discuss the 2011 draft, McNabb, Grossman, Shanahan etc. all day long.

When it comes down to it, I'll be glued to the set at 1:00 on Sunday rooting for my team.

I don't care who's playing, I root for the team not for the player. I certainly don't wish for some gloom and doom prediction to come true so we can get a higher draft spot.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 17, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

why are people actually going nuts over this? It was the right thing to do we are out of the playoffs and mcChoke was stinking up the joint! WE WILL TRADE UP TO DRAFT THE BEST QB ANDREW LUCK!!! Shanny made it clear with the young Sam Bradford comment about getting the best qb in the draft! TRADE UP AND DRAFT LUCK BUILD AROUND HIM AND 2012 or 2013 we will be at the top of the east!!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | December 17, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Skins 35
Cowcrap 7

Posted by: mack1 | December 17, 2010 3:29 PM

Good lord I hope not...and Rex agrees to a 7 year/$120 million deal immediately following the game.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 17, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody started smiling," Dallas defensive end Jason Hatcher said Friday in the Cowboys' locker room. "We were pretty happy about the news. We'll take Rex over McNabb any day," he said. "[McNabb's] hard to contain. He's hard to bring down and he can make plays with his legs and his arm. Not taking anything away from Rex Grossman, I think he's a good quarterback also."

LOL...That last sentence is Hatcher suddenly realizing what he's been saying... It's also bulletin board material, and if I were a Redskin - on offense or defense - I'd be pissed going into Sunday's game.

Skins 27, Pokes 20

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 17, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Love her or hate her, the fact is, Jenkins nailed this situation in her column.

It's a spot on analysis that any of you criticizing this benching need to read.

Although I wonder if some of you can read.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty

Totally disagreed with Sally.

Grossman is not the answer. Even if he fools us because we have set expectations so low, he's had plenty of chances to demonstrate what he is able to do as a player. Carolina liked what they saw with Matt Moore for a few games in 2009 -- so they went with him. Twas a disaster.

As for Beck, I have no clue as to what Shanahan sees in the guy. He's not young and he's never gotten close to any serious playing time.

We know enough about our backups to be confident they are not our future.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Skins 35
Cowcrap 7

Posted by: mack1 | December 17, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Love it

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 17, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with the benching, and I don't need to read Sally Jenkins to have it affirmed for me.

I never read lazy hack beeotches who only run to their keyboard when they have a negative story to write (because those are the EASIEST stories to write, hence the "lazy" epithet).

Wake me if and when Kornheiser writes a piece about it.

Until then, I'll wait for Mike "I Like To Make Sh*t Up" Wise to write a tearful column about how the McNabb benching is akin to the return of the Jim Crow laws of the 1950s.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 17, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

F the Cowboys, they had McNabb's number, and any comments claiming differently are pure BS. The Cowboys beat McNabb like a drum TWICE at the end of last season (including the playoff beatdown of 34-14 on January 9 2010). And McNabb did nothing against them this year in Game 1 with the Skins.

The Cowgirls were licking their chops at the prospect of pummeling McNabb again. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised by Rex's performance in this game. Grossman's release is much quicker than McNabb's, Rex knows the offense inside and out, and Kyle will scheme to get guys open against a suspect Dallas secondary.

Skins 30, Cowpukes 17. Book it!

Posted by: DC2Cali | December 17, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who's playing, I root for the team not for the player. I
Posted by: iH8dallas

Me too GO SKINS !!!
and F dallas

Posted by: richardgovea | December 17, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The Boyz' reactions tell you all you need to know about this move. That said, I'll be rooting for Skins on Sunday. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | December 17, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

- R U In?
- Good, now please follow this line of lemmings and proceed off the nearest cliff.

Posted by: N07H4NX | December 17, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"[McNabb's] hard to contain. He's hard to bring down and he can make plays with his legs and his arm...."

-----

This is why Dallas is worse than us. They're delusional!

McNabb is NOT hard to contain, he is NOT hard to bring down and can NOT make plays with EITHER his LEGS or his ARMS!!

Posted by: filmchis | December 17, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Once you got the top job, you kind of lost your edge. No offense.

-----------------------------------------

I laughed. Out loud.

Posted by: sleastacks | December 17, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

please, they are 5-8. Who cares! People sound like he benched Brady, or Manning. Let the coach do what he wants. Im glad the coach has balls. None of this inmates running the asylum. We've needed a general for years here.

Posted by: tony28 | December 17, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

attention all son's of Palin predicting the redskins will win. please put down your crack pipe, take of your dress and hog snout and quit slapping the bald monster. you are the absolute dumbest people on the planet. they are not playing N.E. in the snow so who gives a flip who wins the toilet bowl. we suck, they suck, if grossman scores throw a ticker tape parade in anacostia. 2HWTR

Posted by: doyouktt | December 17, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

what da does dallas have to be happy about like this inproves their play-off chances
lol

Posted by: aypub | December 17, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

lol

Posted by: aypub | December 17, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

What may be one of the more frightening scenarios is the Rex comes in and plays lights out for the next 3 games. And (gulp)gets the starting job next year. THAT my friends is as terrifying an idea as I can come up with. That Rex Grossman will be our opening day starter next year.

Sounds crazy, I know, but who knew #5 would come here and play his way out of a job by week 13?

Posted by: splitbill | December 17, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Sally Jenkins article was spot on. As for where she lives, when did that have to do with being a real fan. I live 500 miles from the stadium and am more of a fan than what I see on this blog.

Is Rex the future, prob. not. But Mcnabb has just not made good decisions in winable games. Jason Reid seemed more concerned about MC Nabb than the skins.

WE ARE 5-8 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, ANDY REID AND SHANNY BOTH HAVE SEEN SOMETHING, I WILL TRUST THEIR PERSPECTIVE OVER YOU HATTERS AND JASON REID WHO (does anyone know how he is qualified).

Signed,
A REAL fan.
Go to Balitmore sell outs, or for that matter go to Dallas.

Posted by: rodskin | December 17, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Cam Newton Sweepstakes??? Pu-leeeze. Cam, Cam's daddy, and Cam's yet to be chosen agent would all be guilty of serious, actionable, malfeasance to even consider coming anywhere near this career-killing 5 ring circus, even for all of the available money in the piggy bank. b

Posted by: bldlcc | December 17, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse