Donovan McNabb: "I'll be here for years to come"

By Rick Maese

Despite language in his contract that would allow the Redskins to escape their deal with Donovan McNabb after 2010, the Washington quarterback said today he doesn't have any concerns about his future in Washington.

"I will be here next year...I'll be here for years to come," McNabb said Tuesday afternoon on his weekly appearance on ESPN 980. "Not just next year, but after that as well."

But he has no assurances of that. In extending McNabb through 2015, the Redskins included language that gives McNabb an extra $3.5 million this season but the remaining years in the deal are not guaranteed. McNabb said the lack of guarantees is a bigger reflection on the labor dispute that threatens to cancel the 2011 season and not on the team's commitment to him.

On Leadership: Redskins management suffers a big loss too on timing of McNabb's contract.

"I will be here for the next couple of years to continue to turn this thing around," McNabb said. "I think I'm happy, I hope the Redskin nation is happy. I look forward to continue to try to move this thing in the right direction."

The extension was announced Monday afternoon, just 3 1/2 hours before McNabb took on his former Philadelpia Eagles team. It was a bittersweet day and McNabb didn't feel like discussing his extension much late Monday night. In the 59-28 drubbing, McNabb was 17-of-31 passing for 295 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions. He posted a passer rating of 69.4.

Based solely on quarterback ratings, this is the worst stretch of McNabb's 12-season career. In nine games, he's posted just one rating above 80.0 -- in the Redskins' Week 2 loss to Houston. But Monday night was clearly the low-point -- for McNabb and his team.

"Collectively, we feel embarrassed," he said. "I know I do."

McNabb said there were two giant questions hanging over his head prior to Monday's game -- his contract and the team's struggling offense.

"We've handled one part of it," he said. "Now we need to focus on the big picture and that's to turn this thing around."

By Rick Maese  | November 16, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb's guaranteed money: $3.5 million
Next: One of the worst defensive games in Redskins history

Comments

Probably also the worst O-line he's played behind in those 12 seasons.

Much as we'd like, you can't undo years of neglect and mismanagement in one season.

That takes TWO seasons. (Joke.)

Posted by: freakzilla | November 16, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

ita time on the pig...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 12:33 PM |

the only way greg can win an arguement is to ita

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you can put too much blame on him for those three picks - the first should have been caught by Moss, and the others came when McNabb had to play with reckless abandon against a crushing blitz to give the Skins any chance at a win.

Moreso, the loss here is squarely on the defense. I don't care how good Vick played - the defense showed no heart. The first play set the tone for the entire game. That's the frustrating thing - I keep thinking back to that play and feeling like Orakpo should have drawn the holding call - even after Jackson scored I figured it was coming back.

And then I don't understand Kyle Shanahan's response. The opposing team goes up on a one play 88 yard scoring drive, and you come back with three runs from your third string running back on a day when your organization just validated and extended your supposed franchise quarterback? I'm not sure why I kept watching after that. It was over.

Posted by: crashinghero | November 16, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm telling you all, this is step 1 in a sign-and-trade that will involve Arizona.

Book that sh*t.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 16, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

hess, are you serious? He states that Snyder did this deal with #5, behind the coach's back....I mean...what is there to argue about.....its so stupid, and so nonsensical, and he's got ZERO to back it up with...but this is a conversation that you're wanting to continue??

seriously....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

answer this question, why would areid let mcnabb go if he thought he was still a good QB ? hmmm

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, setting aside the fact that Andy Reid is not the sole power in the universe that dictates whether an NFL player can in fact continue to play at a high level, I'd say the following:

Reid knew he had a dearth of talent at the position, got a market value offer of 2 high picks and likes and respects McNabb enough that he let him go to a team where he could play out the rest of his career and get a big payday. A payday he was not going to get in Philly.

Your argument is akin to saying that when Brad Pitt dumped Jennifer Aniston she ceased being hot. Sometimes relationships end but that does not mean there is nothing left with the parties as separate entities.

And to answer you on the youth movement...Yes I know we need to get younger, and I believe we will. But locking up McNabb's rights for the near future does nothing but help us get younger while at least giving the appearance that we are trying to stay competitive. IE we have an above average QB and can draft linemen, receivers yes, a QB over the next 2 years etc. and develop them on a competitive team with a good coach and a respected QB.

Why is it one or the other when it comes to keeping McNabb's rights or getting younger?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 16, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

We should have never gone to the 3-4 with the players we have.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 9:16 AM

I talked about all through the off-season and traing camp and preseason.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 16, 2010 12:40 PM

True....

I have been taking a wait and see approach this year..and have been disappointed....

These decisions being made so far tells me Shanny is not totally aware of what's going on around him.....His gut feelings haven't been working too well.....so far...

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If you're citing what Andy Reid thinks, your argument is already flawed.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 16, 2010 12:46 PM |

I'm not arguing what areid thinks pockets, the guy traded a QB he knows more about than anyone else. he must not have faith in his ability to lead a team to victory anymore or he'd still be an eagle, especially trading to a division opponent. seems like common sense to me, so, tell me where I'm mistaken pockets

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Also, that first pick demonstrates a lot of what's wrong with the wide receivers. Moss is not a big underneath possession guy. Whenever they introduce our starting lineup in the broadcast, they describe Armstrong as the "deep threat," but Moss used to be a deep threat, too. Meanwhile, we've got passes going off the hands of Moss, Galloway, and even Cooley on underneath crossing routes. I understand Shanahan didn't think Devin Thomas wasn't good, but is it possible he was actually this bad? I think he makes that catch on the first pick because he's bigger than Moss and has longer arms. He at least gets enough meat on the ball to knock it down instead of tipping it directly to the defender.

Posted by: crashinghero | November 16, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

dude has to buckle it up before every snap, just leave it snapped already.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 12:44 PM

Agreed. Nice discussion hess.

Until the next time, don't get too sick over the Skins' loss. There are more important things going on out there such as China's emerging ability to wipe out our bases in Asia and China's ability to direct our web traffic onto their servers, which they did in April. Haitian people dropping like flies becase of caca infested water they drink.

Out.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 16, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Too many holes left after a decade of mismanagment, particularly on offense.

There is not ONE player on offense that has more than a 4th round trade value.

I think after this season you have a fire sale on Redskins except for:

Williams, Orakpo, McNabb, Cooley(?), Landry, Hall, Banks,...Everyone else is expendable

Posted by: rickyroge | November 16, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

seriously....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 12:54 PM

obviously you're continuing it, schmuck. At least read what I wrote. I did not state anything about Snyder going behind the coach's back. I AM convinced that the direction to make this deal came from Snyder...not Shanahan. That's whats troubling.

This is no different than when Shanny benched McNabb. It wasn't so much the benching - it was the timing.

Why not simply counter my points with logic or reason, rather than posting obtuse rants. I welcome your input. If you disagree with my thinking, tell me why, and skip the drivel.

Posted by: skinpig | November 16, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

seriously....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 12:54 PM |

I agree with you greg, I think all parties were involved, but who knows for sure.

I don't think skinpig should be on the ita list for his opinions, we can all agree to disagree. It's guys like personal_fowl that spew their venom that should be ita

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

crashinghero

you're right. DT would have been the savior of the team. if only we had DT then we would have scored 60 points last night and won. i can't believe how great he is playing right now with carolina and that we let him go and got nothing for him - he obviously is going to be the best WR of all time and we blew it by getting rid of him. why god why? why would we let DT go? if only we still had him all of our problems would be solved! damn it all to hell!

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | November 16, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

4-5 feels a whole lot different than 4-3

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 16, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

so, tell me where I'm mistaken pockets

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I thought I did.

1) There were other factors, Kolb wasn't going to extend contract if he wasn't given chance to start.

2) Even if the decision to trade him were only based on talent, Andy Reid also tried to trade Mike Vick. Think that tells something about Reid's ability to judge who can and cannot play.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 16, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinpig | November 16, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I totally disagree with your line of reasoning here. Your one definitive statement has been that you do not believe Snyder has changed at all in the last 11 years and that his meddling ways are still very much in play.

If you believe that then there is nothing else productive for me to say except....

I guess time will tell. I just know you can't judge what Mcnabb is doing right now under these circumstances and with this team that has 4-12 talent but will likely be 8-8 this year due to the future HOF coach and QB.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 16, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

that is just sad man.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 16, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 1:09 PM |

Don't be such a pussy.

I'm not going to try and predict what will happen, personnel wise, next year; but it's going to be one hell of a show.

I see a ton of changes coming.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 16, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Snyder picked up that "wealthy black Washington" (Wilbon's words, or close) was upset about McNabb, so Snyder had to placate a huge part of the base that keeps the mofo in business by buying skins paraphernalia. Signs McNabb to another crazy Snyder deal, and thereby snubs Shanahan"

pig, what part of the last sentence doesn't suggest going behind the coach's back??

"Why not simply counter my points with logic or reason"

because your post is so full of jackassery, and lacks both any logic as well as reason...so Snyder signed Mcnabb to placate a section of fans, and went behind the coach's back to do so....

right...... there you go hess...have at it...seems like something worth dissecting....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Just logged on. Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Dimitri Patterson play for the Skins at one time. Well he certainly played against us last night.

Posted by: joeboggs | November 16, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I thought I did.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 16, 2010 1:12 PM |

agree to disagree pockets

areid knew what he had in mcnabb on the field, in the game, and in practice. he had no idea what he had in vick besides the wildcat and practice. kolb, practice.

part of the deal was to facilitate mcnabb's future, but areid was thru with mcnabb and his bad habits, the ones we're seeing game in and game out. all the other things you mentioned just made areid's decision easier to make

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I know, I know - I said I wouldn't put another post up today because I didn't want to re-live the nightmare of last night's game, but I have had a little time to quietly reflect on how pathetic the Redskins performed and now, I offer this:

-Offensive line still cannot block. Philly isn't exceptionally physical up front and yet the interior was still dominated. When is Shanahan going to come off his high praise for Lichen and Rabach and try something different?

-Again, where were Westbrook and Barnes? In a game where the team could have used some extra speed on defense, these guys weren't even on the field.

-You know, the Eagles don't run up the gut. Any defensive coordinator playing them should figure out that the middle isn't important. Concede the middle to a deep safety or linebacker and bring the heat from the edges where you can contain Vick better.

-It's time to re-think the whole running back scenario. If Chad Simpson cannot play on offense, he shouldn't be on the roster and they should promote JD. Love Torain, but if he cannot stay healthy, then he shouldn't be a feature back. Maybe KW needs to be the starter and Torain should come in to spell him. The Redskins need three running backs active on game day and before Portis is back the third back should be JD.

-Use an unbalanced line to overload blockers on one side and use this as a shield for McNabb to roll out. McNabb is a much better passer when he is moving. Liekd the two tightend sets last night, but I don't think they have explored all of the potential of the Cooley-Davis tandem.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 16, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 16, 2010 1:19 PM

Agreed, time will tell, and again I emphasize, I hope I'm wrong on this. I just have this feeling that Snyder gave the word, whether Shanny likes it or not. btw, although McNabb is past his prime, I totally agree that he can do a hell of a lot better with the right tools. We also agree there.

Posted by: skinpig | November 16, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I recall watching vick very early in his career and thinking he was going to be fantastic. Great zip on his passes, quick release and so effective running. Thought he'd be among the most exciting and dangerous players in football. Real upper echelon potential.

In the next few years he got worse. Turns out, he was getting worse off the field as well. By the time he went to jail, he was a bust.

Fast forward to 2010. The QB everyone has seen this season is the QB that I expected to evolve from what I saw 7 or so years ago.

I have trouble routing for vick. What he did was horrid, though he paid dearly for it. Obviously, the uni he wears doesn't help.

Still, vick's immnese talent is undeniable. Yes, our defense sucked. But vick's passes were dead on, and I'm not sure how many times we actually tackled the guy on his 8 runs -- mostly he went out of bounds or into the endzone. vick once had the ability to be the best player in the game. The guy I saw on Monday sure looked like the best player in football.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 16, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprise if McNabb was traded in the off season. The Skins signed him to a contract so that they could get something for him in a trade. I still don't buy that the benching (and its lame explanations) are a thing of the past and that Donovan is willing to play here. Only time will tell.

It's sad when you cannot believe anything that's coming from anyone's mouth anymore. UGH!!!

Posted by: Neisha_H | November 16, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

We should have never gone to the 3-4 with the players we have.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 9:16 AM

Orakpo can play the outside LB in the 3-4 and do well. Lorenzo Alexander is in no way shape or form fast enough or agile enough to play the other outside spot.

I am agreeing with what you are saying.
With that clip of Fat Albert just plain giving up, its hard to defend him in any manner.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 16, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Book that sh*t.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 16, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

God I hope you're right!!!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | November 16, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Bean, let's agree to disagree. Esssentially I don't have confidence in Snyder's leadership/ownership, and maybe I am reading what I want to read into the situation. Note that apparently Wilbon also smells something along these lines; read his column.

Peace.

Posted by: skinpig | November 16, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

No way Snyder had anything to do with the McNabb contract extension. If he did it would have been identical to what was originally reported (40 mil guar). Instead it was a brilliant deal that allows us to get out this year or next depending on how McNabb plays.

The timing isn't suspicious either. An extension was going to be hammered out prior to the season or during the bye week.

As far as an "apology" contract to McNabb.. Go kick rocks barefooted.

I'd like a report on Rabach's contract extension to see our escape clause in that one..

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 16, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

McNabb really has to change his message. He says "I'll be here for years to come", meanwhile he has played poorly and the Skins just got knocked out of contention for their division. Continuing this horrible performance for years is exactly what the fans are afraid of.

Maybe he could say "I'm looking to dramatically improve both my game and the Redskins offense" or something like that. I'm afraid the guy is going to just show up for work, punch the clock, take his $78 million, and the Skins will be 4-12 again five years from now.

Posted by: unclelonghair | November 16, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Hayney looked like an old, lame dog who just barely gets himself off the ground to pee.

Cut him now and have facility security backed up by Daniels, TWill and 'Sakpo when they walk his lazy butt out of the building.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 16, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

wait a minute, where was it stated that Snyder did this deal behind Shanny's back? Did I miss something or is this just heresay?

I cant imagine that Shanny would stick around for that kind of crap?

More than anything, it looks like a win/ win for the skins, flexibility to not lose him for nothing in the off season or the ability to keep him to mentor and hopefully play behind a better Oline next year.

Hail.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 1:20 PM |

nothing more to dissect greg. some folks still don't trust snyder. can you blame them after 10 years of his owning the redskins ?

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Only a Redskin fan could in any way compare this lousy season to world problems. Do you need to compare this lose to death to feel alright? I really think that's part of the reason why we lose. We kind of will this team, and any other local team to defeat with our negative attitude. Here's a suggestion. Learn to like hockey. Hopefully the Caps can get past the white collar babies that fill their seats at playoff time. The ones that quiver with the anticipation of another early exit. Balls said the Queen. If I had them I'd be king!

Posted by: coastallp74 | November 16, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"years to come" Sounds like a threat.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 16, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

This franchise will never get any better if they don't purge. We have been waiting for a purge since Snyders initial glaring mistakes as an owner. We continue to band-aid and in doing so, we lose the opportunity to get young and let talent develop. We are TERRIBLE at developing talent. It's time for Cooley, Moss, the whole offensive line(minus TWilliams), the whole defense (minus Landry), both kickers to BE GONE. I would rather watch guys off the street fight and scratch and claw their way to earning stripes in the NFL as opposed to watching this overpaid bunch of spoiled brats that go-through-the-motions-to-collect-a-check every Sunday. This teams personnel is not a fit, never was, and it's FINALLY time to over-react and get rid of everyone. This bunch is below-average talent collectively and there is no use over-paying for this bunch. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Posted by: ECU17 | November 16, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

there were two giant questions hanging over his head before the game, if he had focus on playing the contract would have come without the excape clause YOU FOOL. sorry mcflabb I meant to call dan syder the FOOL along with the fans the continue to support him. spend money on young talent that you develop over the years and that includes your coaching staff. what a joke

Posted by: geg5100 | November 16, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: geg5100 | November 16, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Sorry didnt read all the posts... but did anyone hear fat alberts comments about eagles rankings in bcs would be number one... he is SUCH a TOOL...SOMETHINGS GOTTA GIVE

Posted by: SteveOman | November 16, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Im not happy with this DUD. Hated him in Philly and hate him worst now. Never serious enough. Grins after every miss throw. I have to find a different team to root for until this overpaid bum is gone. Bad trade Shanny and Allen!

Posted by: billymac1 | November 16, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Didn't you hear? This is just another dumb move by the Redskins! Wilbon said so! Oh wait... you mean it's a really good move? Oops. Tuck that Wilbon article down at the bottom of the page.

Posted by: corky1031 | November 16, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Book that sh*t.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 16, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

God I hope you're right!!!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hang on — before anyone celebrates this or any other trade scenario, what's the return on the investment? If it's Donovan McNabb for Larry Fitzgerald and Darnell Docket, or either one, then it's a home run. Of course you make those trades. But of course, the Cardinals aren't that dumb. Hell, Al Davis isn't that dumb. Egohan or Vinny Cerrato might be, but they don't work for Arizona .... unfortunately.

But as anti-McNabb as I am, let's not celebrate his proposed dismissal without seeing what's coming back. Knowing Egohan, he'll probably ask for one of the Cardinals' spare running backs, figuring he can uncover another Terrell Davis.

The magic is gone, Little Danny. Get rid of Egohan. This allegedly great coach has won exactly one playoff game without John Elway. ONE!! The game has passed him by. Get rid of him.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | November 16, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Instead of all this focus on Mcnabb these reporters should grill the Shanahans on the play of the offensive line, they get thrown around like rag dolls an I would also grill the offensive line coach an find out how Derrick Dockery has dropped off of the dept chart. At least Dockery has size an heart.
Back to the Shanahans can someone please find out why Joey Galloway is on this team he doesn't even look like he wants to play. Terrence Austin should be promoted from the practice squad to take his place he is younger, faster,an stronger than Galloway.

Posted by: BeatDontStop | November 16, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

TRANSLATION:

"I'll be throwing passes to the defense for years to come."

Posted by: Redskinrex | November 16, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a football expert but were all of McNab's interception his fault or to the receivers blow there route? The same as when he throws his passes when nobody is even close to catching it? I know not having any pass protection doesn't help.

Posted by: stevelnyc | November 16, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevelnyc | November 16, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I love McNabb, but let's be real, the man is done. This is yet another in a 15 year long line of bad management decisions..

Posted by: wewintheylose | November 17, 2010 1:59 AM | Report abuse

This is another chapter of "I know I said that Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are in charge" but their not. I am. DAN SNYDER.

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | November 17, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | November 17, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | November 17, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

McNabb said. "I think I'm happy, I hope the Redskin nation is happy.
____
We're NOT!!! Last thing the Skins needed was another past his prime overpaid player. Redskins nation will be happy if the Skins can draft a franchise QB. Until they do and he can get on the field the Skins will be stuck at mediocre...

Posted by: sovine08 | November 17, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I bet all those Native American Tribes are REALLY upset now! ;-)

Posted by: burro2 | November 17, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse