Donovan McNabb says he and Mike Shanahan have met about benching, 'put it behind us'

Asked Tuesday about the chances that he'll be back as the Redskins' quarterback next season, Donovan McNabb said, "100 percent."

But speaking during his weekly radio appearance on ESPN 980, McNabb immediately qualified the estimate. "If I would've said 75 or 60, it would have been another big story," he said.

McNabb did not have anything new to say about a possible contract extension and did not directly answer a question about which side is holding up negotiations. "That will be something we'll definitely see," he said.

In his most expansive comments since Mike Shanahan benched him late in Sunday's loss at Detroit, McNabb said he's "at ease" with the coach's decision. "I'm just ready to move on, focus on what I have to do after the bye week," he said.

He did acknowledge that he hoped when he left Philadelphia in the spring all the drama that's surrounded parts of his career might remain in the rear-view mirror. "It just seems to follow me," he said.

He said he's met at least twice with Shanahan but did not disclose any details from those conversations. "We've kind of put it behind us," he said. "Just focusing on what we need to do going forward in these next eight games."

McNabb dismissed reports that his practice habits are an issue. He said he's never heard a coach -- including the ones in Washington -- express any concerns over the effort he gives in practice and doesn't even know what he'd do different. "Maybe I should run up to the line. I don't know," he said. "That's a new one."

McNabb said he ran into JaMarcus Russell at Redskins Park on Tuesday, and it apparently was a congenial meeting. "Great guy," McNabb said. "Got a chance to talk to him again. It was good to see him." Russell, who was released by Oakland in May, was trying out for Redskins coaches.

McNabb said he was certain Russell has a future in the NFL, despite all the controversy that surrounded the former No. 1 pick's first three years in the NFL. "Sometimes situations humble you," McNabb said.

There's another big name floating around, too: Randy Moss is expected to hit the waiver wire this afternoon. McNabb had little to offer when asked if the Redskins should pursue the talented receiver. "If that would help our team," he said. "I think the guys that we have, if we continue to be on the same page, we'll be fine."

McNabb continues to say that the offense is improving and is headed in the right direction. "Like I said every week, we've shown signs that we can make plays... we just have to put everything together," he said.

"When [Matt] Schaub first started in this offense, there wasn't much explosion either," he added.

Perhaps not. But there have certainly been more fireworks here with McNabb than in Houston with Schaub.

By Rick Maese  | November 2, 2010; 12:41 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: JaMarcus Russell works out with Redskins
Next: Kyle Shanahan: Donovan McNabb knew benching was a possibility

Comments

2011 starting line up

QB Russell
WR Moss

We are so screwed....

Posted by: gixxer998 | November 2, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Donovan = class.

Did anyone see Shanny Jr's reaction during the 4th qtr of the game? The camera showed him looking confused/angry, mouthing something like, "That's not the play" or something to that effect. I didn't dvr the game, otherwise I'd check. But I have a feeling that whatever miscommunication happened at that time was the impetus for the benching, e.g. he called a play and DM ran something completely different.

Posted by: dclifer97 | November 2, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

--It would stop following you if you'd quit throwing passes at the ground.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 2, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Bottles up! Bottles up! Look wats in his cup. Looks lyk somthn purple, bout to tear Ashburn up!

Posted by: roccoskins | November 2, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

--It would stop following you if you'd quit throwing passes at the ground.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 2, 2010 12:56 PM

That's why BBanks should be a starting WR...not being very tall he is closer to the ground.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 2, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I am SHOCKED there has been no attention to Kyle Shanahan's AWFUL play calling in the 4th Quarter. With almost 4 mins left on the clock - the Skins were down by only 3 - it was 4&10 their own 25 yd line. Shanahan decides we should go for it. Obviously that didn't work out. McNabb was sacked and we basically handed the field goal - as they took over in FG position - so now we're down by 6. Why hasn't the media mentioned this horrible decision. We would have only been down by 3 if we had punted. The media keeps mentioning we were down by 6 when McNabb was benched, but it fails to mention how this was due to playcalling. K. Shanahan's decision to go it for 4&10 (when we only need 3pts to tie) makes Belichick's call last season to go for 4&2 look like child's play. Not to take anything away from McNabb's mediocre play calling - but how has this dreadful playcalling gone under the radar??

Posted by: ameliepostroh | November 2, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

John Lucas: Jamarcus has lost 35 lbs since they started working out.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 2, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"The camera showed him looking confused/angry, mouthing something like, "That's not the play" or something to that effect. I didn't dvr the game, otherwise I'd check."

I saw that also.

I posted after the game that I don't think McNabb respects Kyle. There was another incident a few weeks back that Kyle came over to Donovan after a bad play and it looked like Kyle tried to tell him that it was his fault that the play did not work and Donovan just looked "aghast" while pointing to himself. Then you see Big Shanny come over and tell Donovan what happend and he seemed to take it better.

Honestly, I don't think Donovan is listing to his coaches but I did see that as well. Donovan is not going to be here next year.

Can we stop playing Detroit and the Rams like ever??? ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 2, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

JasonLaCanfora
.I'm told the Redskins not expected to make any imminent move on JaMarcus. Looking at other QBs too. Evaluating for the future.Skins owner Dan Snyder looked long and hard at Russell coming out of LSU. Adds even more spice to McNabb/Shanahan issues

Posted by: suliman215 | November 2, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

they pretty much had to put it behind them.

neither donovan nor the 2 shanahans have the cardiovascular endurance to keep blabbing about it any longer.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | November 2, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Campbell goes to Oakland to replace Russel, now we're working out Russel.

Yep, we're no longer laughing stocks.

Posted by: Redskinrex | November 2, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

That's the crazy thing about the NFL, sometimes the team that wins is not the best team. We are a different team from last year by leaps and bounds simply because we have won some close games and we've been in EVERY game this year, whether we deserved to win or not. That's at least got to make some of us happy, no?

Posted by: monk811 | November 2, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse
__________________________

Of course... It's just, if someone said you gotta pick sides... I'm not so sure, I'm siding with McNabb & I don't care that he got his feelings hurt. A lot of these close wins also have been secured with good coaching. Our game management is out of this world compared to when Zorn was coach.

Posted by: tony325 | November 2, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm siding with Shanny also. My point is if he had multiple reasons to why he benched McNabb, then he should have said them all at once, not a different one each day, that does make him look 2-faced and a liar.

I saw reports all last week about how McNabb was limited in practice, and maybe that's why he didn't look as good because he was still injured.

As far as getting his 'feelings hurt', this isn't a tea party, this is football. The dude shouldn't get his feelings hurt, it's not like this is the first time he's been benched anyway. He usually responds well when benched, so I just think people need to RELAX AND SHUT THE F UP, just let the season play out. Shanny is in charge, so just let him do his job. Arm-chair coaches are NERDS!

Posted by: monk811 | November 2, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes Mcnabb, You and the rest of the lazy a$$es on the offense should be running up to the line of scrimmage. What is this strolling up to the line BS. You all look like it is a pain in your butts to go out and give it your all every play. The Colts are the team you jerks should be imitating.

Posted by: DIMMY | November 2, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

John Lucas: Jamarcus has lost 35 lbs since they started working out.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 2, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Has he learned to throw?

Posted by: rupertpupkin | November 2, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DIMMY | November 2, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

No Wonder WaPo runs soo many polls. They are hoping to get picked up by PFT:

Vikings fans want Brad Childress fired now
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 2, 2010 1:08 PM ET
A whole lot of people think it's time for heads to roll in Minnesota, and one poll of Vikings fans shows an overwhelming number saying head coach Brad Childress should be fired right now.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune is running an unscientific poll on its web site asking, "Should Brad Childress be fired?" The results aren't good for Childress.

About 92 percent of the respondents say they want Childress fired, with more than 80 percent voting to fire Childrss "right away" and another 12 percent wanting Childress fired at the end of the season.

Less than 8 percent would like to see Childress stick around into 2011.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 2, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

--It would stop following you if you'd quit throwing passes at the ground.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 2, 2010 12:56 PM

Posted by: kerzon417

Now that is funny!

Did anyone else notice that on Banks' kickoff return (the one that counted not the one Doughty got called for a block in the back) that Doughty blocked ANOTHER guy in the back AGAIN but it didn't get called.
WTF is Reed thinking!

Posted by: MDterpfan | November 2, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Monk:

The timing of the benching was BAD, but since when has McNabb become untouchable. Shanahan handled this poorly, but if McNabb says they've put this behind them, then so be it.

Personally, I think there's more pressure on McNabb to play well in Philly. If he plays "lights out", then it's a win-win situation.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 2, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow just Freaking Wow.

"Fire Kyle"
"Shanny Egohan"
"this is what Bronco fans warned me about"
"I've been a fan for 30 yrs and I'm done"
or my favorite..."I told you so"

McNabb has been terrible this year and MS had a bad game against the Lions. If McNabb plays better he will be here and if he dosent he won't. We're 4-4 with the worst roster in the league. I love how everyone is only willing to give him 8 mths to turn it around. Gimmie a F'ing break.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 2, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow just Freaking Wow.

"Fire Kyle"
"Shanny Egohan"
"this is what Bronco fans warned me about"
"I've been a fan for 30 yrs and I'm done"
or my favorite..."I told you so"

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 2, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree, but I still don't see him coming back after this year.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | November 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

SHUT UP PETER KING

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | November 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ameliepostroh | November 2, 2010 1:05 PM |

Your point is well taken and likely the reason McNabb got yanked.

Kind of hard to blame an OC for a play that gets changed at the line by a QB that doesn't yet have a firm grasp on the system.

His play calling looked good last year with Matt Swab and AJ.

This past game aside, in the pre-season games that McNabb didn't play in and SexyRexy started against first teamers, he looked serviceable.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 2, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse
_____________________________

Yeah, he's a straight liar about everything it seems... I just don't understand his use of the media to embarrass his players. He did it to embarrass Haynesworth, and we as fans believed he had it coming. Now, you pull your QB with 2 mins left & say all these excuses for doing it that don't make any sense. I mean you don't know what is said in back rooms, like if Shanahan told Donovan of his concerns & McNabb hasn't responded & now this. You just don't know.

Posted by: tony325 | November 2, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

McNabb seems a little confused about the probability fo him being back with the Redskins next season. Maybe he could get Brian Burke to run a statistical analysis for him...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 2, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Man up Shanny, understand your disgust with McNabb's play, but u r dead wrong in removing him from the game with a chance to win the game. Admit your mistake to the team and u will get better respect. Don't let pride get in the way. This a veteran team and u r on the verge of losing some respect u had establish with this team. 2 SB's or not.

Posted by: dmayfiel | November 2, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

why can't we find out who the other players are at redskins park that are working out?

Posted by: connskins | November 2, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

WTF is Reed thinking!

Posted by: MDterpfan | November 2, 2010 1:22 PM
------------------------------------------
Doughty doesn't make smart plays. I like his tackling. I hate his pass coverage skills. I really hate his temporary losses in coherent thinking.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 2, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

After the next two games, when the Skins win, their record is 6-4 atop the NFC East and McNabb has excellent stats to go with those W's, this will all be put behind us.

Posted by: dc1020008 | November 2, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Donovan = class.

Posted by: dclifer97 | November 2, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I saw that and thought immediately that something was not right. I bet the play was a pass and McNabb went to the draw b/c he was getting knocked around. Not the right call, but hard to blame him since he's the one taking the punishment.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 2, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: connskins | November 2, 2010 1:34 PM
----------------------------------------
Do you really want to know that Jeff George was at the park today as well?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 2, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

beep beep - Kyle speaks

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 2, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon should be happy. He's got another black QB to write about if we sign Jamarcus. I wonder if he thought JR got stiffed in Oakland.

Posted by: cstanton1 | November 2, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 2, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse
_____________________________

Posted by: tony325 | November 2, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I just hope it doesn't get worse over the bye. Usually when a QB is benched there is a game a week later to respond to. He is already struggling enough as it is without having to look over his shoulder every play.

PF, I also wouldn't necessarily blame Jr. for the play calling. First off, I just read somewhere that McNabb calls a lot of plays anyway, now I'm not sure if he gets a set of plays and gets to pick from them or he calls his own plays until the coach overrides that and gives him new plays. Second, Jr. can only call the play, there are usually more than one option for McNabb. So McNabb chose to throw into triple coverage, not Jr.! He also can't do anything about our OLine getting manhandled.

Posted by: monk811 | November 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

#5 has a quiet confidence that comes with knowing you are a proven winner in this league. Ask Coughlin at NY how did the my way or highway thing work out. The players called a meeting and told him if he wanted to be successful, he better back up some. He did and they won a Super Bowl. Learn to appreciate talent when you have it (i.e. Haynesworth, McNabb). By the way, Sahnny is .500 winning percentage in the last 3.5 years. Maybe he should realize the my way or highway doesn't work any longer.

Posted by: edavis291 | November 2, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

DMac, do what's best for you Bruh...our egomaniac enemy has finally revealed himself.

Bowlen was RIGHT

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 2, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Perspective: Being a fan of the Redskins and hating McNabb for being an Eagle. Rooting for McNabb as a Redskin and hoping he remains a Redskin. Rooting for him no matter what team he plays on next season and beyond because the dude is a professional.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | November 2, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with KS's play calling in the 4th. Down by 3 with a possibility of not getting the ball after punting less than 4 min remaining. Down 6 after a quick field goal and a chance to win the game with a 2 minute drill.

Posted by: Virginia-Gentleman | November 2, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

WTF is Reed thinking!

Posted by: MDterpfan | November 2, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

saw it, loved it. wonder if he'd get benched if they called that one back too?

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 2, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I have a question to ask the Redskins fans, with the crazy moves being made down in Washington, is the old Al Davis buying the Redskins?? Redskins fans have the nerve talking about Jason Campbell was trash. Well my friends Ones man's trash is another man's pot of gold!! Talking about the pot calling the kettle black !! Won't say anymore on this subject until Monday after the Raiders beat KC on Sunday for frist place in the AFC West. Have fun staying in third place the rest of the season !

Posted by: Raidersfan2 | November 2, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Donovan draws drama to him because he has NEVER admitted to playing poorly. Is it any wonder his Philly teammates -- to a man -- voiced no regrets about his trade. In Philly, he wasn't a leader and he threw his teammates under the bus to avoid accepting any blame for the teams's shortcomings. We Eagles fans watched him walk, ever so slooooowwwly, to the line in the last two minutes of losing games for 11 painful years. He's a medicore QB, at best.

Posted by: rsharpe126 | November 2, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rsharpe126 | November 2, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Raidersfan2

More humor on RI today! Glad to see the Raiders doing well at the half way point---hope you love all the checkdowns after McFadden goes down again (sorry he's just injury prone) and you have to throw the ball. Saw it for too long here; please adjust your spiked helmet and loosen your silver and black zubaz you must be lacking oxygen.

Posted by: kirkoman | November 2, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

couple of bullett points here from others post...

- JC won last two games but didn't cable say gradkowski(?) was starting when he was healthy again?? JC would not have won the games we have won because his pocket presence is still his weakness and mcnabb has been getting killed all yr.

_ biggest play of the game was offside on chip shot FG. Instead of giving up 3, we give up 7. would have had the lead on mcnabbs last pick and probrably don't go for 2, two pt. conversions. I played 33 yrs ago in HS and we knew not to move on kicks where jumping would give the other team the first down. no matter what!!! was that mcnabbs fault? poor coaching and execution period!

- should have punted on 4rth and 10. had 2 TO's and 2 min warning. You needed to stop them to get ball back anyway.NO MATTER WHAT! why go for it 4rth and 10 backed up in own territory. if 4rth and 1 or 2, maybe. Very poor coaches decision. IF mcnabb was hurting and blah, blah, blah, was going for it 4rth and ten putting ur team in the best place to succeed? coming off a pick??? poor coaching and play calling!

-Even when mistakenly putting Rex in, what consideration was given to play calling for him. hasn't seen game speed all yr. But we want him to take snap under center, take a 7 step drop, behind a D-line who beat the QB to his set -up all day. should he of not been in shotgun, throwing short, get the ball out of ur hands plays. again poor decision, followed by poor coaching.

guard, center, guard play has been piss-poor at best. they are getting run by and pushed around. Could dockery not at least, as a seasoned pro, with experience not do better? we don't commit to the run enough to say it is because of our zone blocking is why he doesn't play. Montgomery.lichtenssteiger and hicks are average at best. Rabach is too slow and small. Until they get that hole(s) plugged, don't matter who calls the plays, what they call or who is QB. Hicks does not get low enough to be a starting guard, period !!!

Mcnabb has had 1 drive when needed at the end of game(GB) to win. and there defense was beat up that day.. even in games we won, we had to make a play/stop on defense to win. We don't go hurry up in middle of game for a reason, now we know why.

bottom line...4-12 this yr, 4-4 this year. mcanbb can look as good and bad as any QB in football, but somehow he has won his share of games, our coaching needs to improve. lil shanny needs to go to press box to call game and when we can run, stay with it. run more screens, roll outs if ur QB is getting killed. then he might have something left at the end of the game. We might have a better coach but we are not necessarily getting better coaching!!

HAIL!

Posted by: klangley69 | November 2, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I have not been a big fan of the Shanny at all. He flat out tells half the truth some of the time and none of the truth all the time. I'm fed up , he completely gave the game away Sunday!!!! he basically gave up. Which is disappointing. He keeps players inactive to long and there is no chance to have the O line gel by rotating linemen every other series. His arrogance is gonna cost any chance of a playoff shot in a wide open NFC. This doesn't happen that often when its this wide open.!!!

Posted by: joh375 | November 2, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joh375 | November 2, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Unless McNabb improves, I hope he's somewhere else next year. I know the OL needs to impeove but DM5 misses WIDE OPEN receivers and throws at their feet when he does have time. It's unacceptable.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | November 2, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Mike's going to spend the rest of his career covering for his idiot son. After this year, no decent player will sign on for this insane asylum. McNabb will find a way to survive the season and move on; he'll get better and Washington will get worse.

Posted by: mcstowy | November 2, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Donovan = class.

Posted by: dclifer97 | November 2, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I saw that too. He had his arms out to the side as if to say "What are you doing"? KS looked really confused.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | November 2, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Redskinrex

I will be glad when they play again and win so all you fickle fans can put on your skins cheerleader uniforms again and stop with the negative comments about any and everything you read. If they would have won sunday non of you would be saying the things you are saying. All it takes is one win or one loss for skins fans on these blogs to flip flop.

Posted by: ged0386 | November 2, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

In other words, both parties agree to part ways in the near future. I'm sure Donovan will travel back to Arizona over the bye and pray that he never returns to DC. What a shame. "Coach" Shanahan and the "boy genius" are complete idiots. Great job Mr. Snyder!

Posted by: Neisha_H | November 2, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

We should have never have traded for Mcnabb. We gave up a high 2nd and 3rd round draft picks for a 33 year old inaccurate quarterback. Now we will have blown those picks for just one year. The trade made no sense at all.

Posted by: Skinsfan38 | November 2, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinsfan38 | November 2, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

It's ok Donovan, you can screw Shanahan and Snyder later by signing an extension and then suck for the rest of the contract. For now just play the "Team" player role and let the Egomaniac has his way.

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 2, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Class is right.

Let's just hope he's back next year.

We've waited over a decade to have a QB the calibre of McNabb. The catch is that while improved, our offensive line is still weak at best. I hope this benching can be a thing of the past, and we can beat Philly on Monday night

Posted by: StewBop | November 3, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Class is right.

Let's just hope he's back next year.

Posted by: StewBop | November 3, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

No coach....I mean NOBODY should go for it on 4th and 10 deep in your own territory and down by only 3 with enough time to make a stop and get the ball back!! How is this not examined by the media/analysts??!! That's beyond arrogant...it's just plain idiotic and reckless. Whoever made that riduculous call should be FIRED yesterday. Unbelievable.

Posted by: skins499 | November 3, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

No coach....I mean NOBODY should go for it on 4th and 10 deep in your own territory and down by only 3 with enough time to make a stop and get the ball back!! How is this not examined by the media/analysts??!! That's beyond arrogant...it's just plain idiotic and reckless. Whoever made that ridiculous call should be FIRED yesterday. Unbelievable.

Posted by: skins499 | November 3, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse