Donovan McNabb knows he has plenty of room for improvement

Quarterback Donovan McNabb participated in the entire offseason program and has reached the end of his first training camp with Washington.

The Redskins have three preseason games remaining and many practices before the Sept. 12 season opener against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field, but McNabb has had enough time in the offense to begin the self-evaluation process.

"Well, there's ways to look at it," McNabb said the other day. "I'm very hard on myself, very critical of what I do out on the field. I want to be getting completions, moving the ball and having a command of the offense. Would I like to be perfect? Absolutely. Do I know that there is a change and it will take time? Of course."

With the Philadelphia Eagles for his first 11 seasons, McNabb was among the league's most successful quarterbacks in Coach Andy Reid's version of the West Coast offense. Reid and Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan are part of the Bill Walsh coaching tree, but there are differences in their approaches, so McNabb has had much to learn.

"I've been through this when you're just learning a new scheme and kind of the ins and outs and ups and downs that you may have," he said. "How to overcome it? I definitely know how. I think the thing that helps you is stepping out into game situations where you are game planning and seeing a new defense and you can play your style. Practice will help you with different looks.

"When you're playing against the same defense and guys know each other a little bit, some things that you would like to have in the passing game, some checks and things of that nature ... again, I'm very critical. I go up and watch myself [on game film] without coaches around and things of that nature. I think you have to be critical by watching yourself."

And after a lot of self-evaluation, McNabb still has room for improvement.

"Am I pleased with where I'm at? No," McNabb said. "I want to be where I was when I was in the same offense [with the Eagles] and being able to have full command. To be able to do what I was doing."

By Jason Reid  |  August 19, 2010; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb , quarterbacks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Malcolm Kelly must heal, but quickly, says Keenan McCardell
Next: Josh Bidwell plans to make most of opportunity

Comments

Just dump it to Fred "If that is in fact your real name" Davis in the flat and it will be OK.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 19, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

No criminal charges? This blog is slipping.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 19, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Milton Bradley said Jason Reid has much room for improvement. I read about the near fight they had a few years back when he was in LA. Crazy.

Posted by: MajorFacemask | August 19, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

he$$one, let it go. You'll revert to your former whack-a-doodle status. Even if we knew who did what in the Snyder/Cerrato era, it has nothing to do with what's going on now. All that matters is what Snyder is doing in 2010, not what he did the day Kelly was drafted.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:34 AM |

I hear you, loud and clear beep. I like the $$ in my handle. Kind of accents the name.

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Donovan McNabb knows he has plenty of room for improvement...
You've got about 3 and a half weeks left, so get going on that.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 19, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Listen here Donny boy, we want you to be better than you were in Philly. We want you to trust in the run game. If you are only passing for 150 yards a game but we win, thats fine by da fans.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, Snyder's involvement is the DNA of the dust of a dead horse...? Has it even been nine months yet? You've clearly forgotten this is the guy who fired Marty S. after one season because he wanted to get personnel decisions out of his hands. ONE SEASON.

Yes Redskins Park is littered with the DNA of the dust many dead horses but the possibility of Dan Snyder playing GM will never die (we should worry at a minimum for five years, ten to fifteen would represent a safer bet).

I'd feel better about genuine, lasting change if he came clean about the past though.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

2001 called....it said its 9 year ago, and you should move on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"JC was a Jew, bro!...Long haired, pot smoking dude!"

Pharisees(accusing): We brought him here so you can punish him for wasting weed in brownies!

Pilate(washing his hands prior to selecting a brownie to eat): Is this true?

Jesus: Yes, it is.

And let him who eats the brownies be the first one stoned.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

2001 called....it said its 9 year ago, and you should move on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 9:56 AM
------------------------------------------
Good one, Bean. Me personally, I am still getting over that whole Leigh Torrence thing....

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 19, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Funny you mention 9 years ago bean, cause that's the first time Vinny got fired.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Pepper, some stuff isn't worth a re-post. Your comments are better left to the last thread where no one will see them...

Getting bent out of shape over A) something you can't control and B) worrying about an event that may or may not happen is only screwing with your own blood pressure. Embrace the change.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

2001 called....it said its 9 year ago, and you should move on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 9:56 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 19, 2010 10:01 AM

I miss 2001...I miss my hair...

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Donovan McNabb knows he has plenty of room for improvement...
You've got about 3 and a half weeks left, so get going on that."

Does he really have to be in 'total command' of this offense early on?

I'd say mebbe.

The team should lean on its running game and play quality defense early on in the season.

We should pass because we want to, not because we have to.

And to do things this way really doesn't require total command of the entire offense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

And let him who eats the brownies be the first one stoned.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 10:00 AM |

Smokin green and red, sticky and stinky, is doin the trick for me tis mornin, MistaMoe !

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I really like it when McNabb rolls out. I think McNabb's ability to run and throw on the run are his biggest strengths. When a defense has to account for a QB as a downfield runner, it opens up things for other players, and woe be to the defense that lets McNabb roll out with no one in front of him. You know what this offense reminds me of? Think back to San Francisco when Steve Young was there. Coincidentally, Shanahan was the 49ers OC when Young first came there...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 19, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"Donovan McNabb knows he has plenty of room for improvement...
You've got about 3 and a half weeks left, so get going on that."
We should pass because we want to, not because we have to.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 10:07 AM

Exactly...I like to run to set up the pass.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

best part about brownies. No more lung cancer.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Do I like posing hypothetical questions to myself? Sure I do."

-Donovan McNabb

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 19, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"Am I pleased with where I'm at? No," McNabb said. "I want to be where I was when I was in the same offense [with the Eagles] and being able to have full command."
____
Here's the thing when Donovan had full command, and he was in his prime and he had a better team around him.. he still never won a championship. Last year when he was in full command he was crushed by the Cowboys all 3 times he faced them. We need him to be better and he's saying he's not as good. Should we be concerned? you bet. Can't get out of my mind Andy Reid knows something the Redskins don't. With that 2nd round pick we could have drafted Jimmy Clausen.. instead we have a guy at the end of his career saying he's not there yet...

Posted by: sovine08 | August 19, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

All this Favre fellatio on ESPN is making me sick...almost like watching Shake Weight commercials on an endless loop...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

True that Moe. As long as the O-line hits the learning curve quicker than most, ( and with fewer injuries) DMac shouldn't have any problem mastering this offense.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 19, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey, we have a QB with full command of the O... I'm sure they'll work something out.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

brown, hahaha...shake weights...good pull....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

You know what's worse than all the annually recurring Favre talk in the media?

When his detractors continually regurgitate their hatred for this man because of it.

Here's to looking at you, brownwood ;)

Posted by: psps23 | August 19, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Can't get out of my mind Andy Reid knows something the Redskins don't....

Posted by: sovine08 | August 19, 2010 10:12 AM

Yeah...how to NEVER win a championship.

Seriously, you DO know there are other positions on the field other than QB, right? You are aware that if the Eagles had a consistent rushing attack and a front office unafraid to land him a legit #1 receiver the Eagles would probably have a couple titles by now, right? I mean, really...first JC was the reason the Redskins didn't win and now McNabb is the reason the Eagles didn't get a title. There's plent of blame to go around in both scenarios, hoss!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"I miss 2001...I miss my hair..."

mrsmoe was pregnant in 2001.

She almost died having my last kid.

I missed the delivery as at the time I had half my thyroid removed for fear of cancer and was laid up in another part of the hospital in recovery.

The thing I remember about when I came home was that a late December skins v. saints game was on, and the only peace I had was watching the tail end of that game.

I sat in my house alone with the sound down as we won that game.

Beyond that, 2001 was one of the worst years of my life.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

You know what's worse than all the annually recurring Favre talk in the media?

Here's to looking at you, brownwood ;)

Posted by: psps23 | August 19, 2010 10:18 AM

MMmm. nope, the media schleping is much worse.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

moe, hope it all worked out for the best in the end....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 10:04 AM |

No one is getting bent out of shape, brown. Talking about MKelly making the roster is like beating a dead horse, in comparison to talking about $nyder. One in the present, one in the past, respectfully. Believe me, I have embraced the change, but it's also old to have someone tell you what to comment on because they don't want to hear it, or the brutal past. Except change, and remember the past. You have even mentioned freedom of speech in your comments. Peace

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 10:20 AM

Didn't mean to stir up up bad memories moe...I miss being 10 years younger...and my hair.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Why are so many people drinking the McNabb Kool-Aid?

He still can't read good defenses. Remember what you said about him all these years? Nothing's changed. Eagles thought McNabb was trash and the Redskins want you to think McNabb is a treasure. All I can say is get ready for the Cowboys to open a whole can of whupass come the season opener and stay off our blogs, you garbage-collecting trolls.

Washington Trashmen. Works for me if it works for you!

Posted by: HippoWatts | August 19, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

best part about brownies. No more lung cancer.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Good point, makes you wonder why they prescribe medicinal mj in smoking form. Fight cancer with cancer? Should be in brownie form only.

Posted by: HTTR | August 19, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

On a random note, for all of you folks who unfortunately no longer live in the DC area (like me), NFL network is televising tomorrow's game on Sunday morning:

10:00 AM NFL PRESEASON GAME: BAL vs. WAS 2010 NFL Preseason Game: Baltimore Ravens vs. Washington Redskins

So you can catch it then.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 19, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I miss 2001...I miss my hair...

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 10:04 AM

Back in 2001 I was getting Monicas from a multitude of ugly girls back in college.... ahh, those were the days...

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 19, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Ya, I remember watching the Eagles when I lived in philly during the super bowl run years. The whole time I was shocked that a team could turn in a great performance despite gaping holes on both sides of the ball. I mean seriously, they never had any LB on the roster I would rate above a C+ during their run, and outside of TO, never had a receiver above a C-.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 10:19 AM |

Nail on head. Reid airs it out, ignores the run game, and the FO ignores securing a good receiving corp. Which leads me to believe that Shanahan's game plan to run the ball will only help Mcnabb be a better and more successful QB. Now, if DThomas steps it up.........

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:34 AM |

So as long as that dude is making media appearances he's going to be on fans radar, exactly where he wants to be apparently. I just hope he's content with his job this year arranging nice rooms for the team at the 4 Season's in Dallas.

What evidence is there out there to suggest this will last?

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Do you all smell something in here?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HippoWatts | August 19, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Oh the irony!

Posted by: HTTR | August 19, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

beantowngreg

I'm straight.

Thing is, the daughter we had is 8 now, and has to be one of the best little kids you could ever meet (and no, I'm not being biased).

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Do you all smell something in here?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

It's Poopy, he just took a big Cowboys fan.

Posted by: HTTR | August 19, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

moe, good to hear....

glad to hear you're straight too...I mean the Mrs. is probably happy to hear that as well....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

2001...ah yes fond memories...I remember thinking I could finally stop posting here Pepper Rodgers because he got sacked along with Vinny.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

What evidence is there out there to suggest this will last?

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 10:35 AM |

History tells us nothing ever last that long. We'll see though, as patience is the word of choice here.

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Washington Trashmen. Works for me if it works for you!

Posted by: HippoWatts

Another day another bama cowboy fan. I Swear its probably 2-3 dudes in they momma's basement sharing screen names and a PC.

In 5-10 minutes the other dude will login and post something like "yeah, get'em ___ he-he-he". What losers.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 19, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"...they never had any LB on the roster I would rate above a C+ during their run..."

Posted by: alex35332

What about Jeremiah Trotter?

Jeremiah Trotter. The free agent bust everyone seems to forget about. When everyone lists the free agent blunders over the last 10 years no one seems to recall his brief stay here.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 19, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

What evidence is there out there to suggest this will last?

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 10:35 AM |

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 10:44 AM

Never did like history

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HTTR | August 19, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

They don't "prescribe" it in smoke form. They just sell it as a plant, what you do with it is up to you. Also you can buy it in brownie form in most medical facilities... from what I hear.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

HippoWatts = fellatio face

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I still wonder why Andy Reid would dump McNabb to an NFC East rival. What does Reid know that the Redskins don't know yet? How many times have Redskins fans been relieved when McNabb threw his in-the-dirt nosedive pass special on third down against the Redskins?

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 19, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

What about Jeremiah Trotter?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 19, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Trotter was their best player from that era of Linebackers... and he left them for the skins in 2 of the 4 years of their NFC Championship Bills style run..

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Yeah...how to NEVER win a championship.

Posted by: brownwood26

The Eagles never had consistent running attack because that is not the type of offense Andy Reid runs. They could of had a more consistent running attack had they chosen to do so. Not saying that I agree with Andy Reid's approach to offense but it was his choice.

The team did get McNabb a #1 receiver in the name of TO and they almost won the super bowl.

As the Redskins are finding it is not easy to just pluck a #1 out of thin air. It just so happens when the Eagles did get a pair of what looks like top flight wrs that McNabb was shipped out of town.

I don't agree that JC was the only problem. I thought the problems ran much deeper than just the QB. Lets see front office and oline to start.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 19, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 19, 2010 10:50 AM

That...or the times he ripped out my heart with 56 seconds left in the game.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

It has never seemed to me like McNabb was someone you had to worry about putting in the film/study/practice time necessary to be fully prepared. He is clearly the best QB we have had since the Gibbs 1 years and maybe since Sonny. Learning curve aside, I truly believe that he is the least of our problems and a significant upgrade over JC.

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 19, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I still wonder why Andy Reid would dump McNabb to an NFC East rival.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 19, 2010 10:50 AM

Honest answer. Andy Reid has been on the hot seat for a few years now and is just trying to finish up his contract with the eagles.

even with their success, its philly, the fans want everyone fired every year.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Moe: Glad u & tha missus are still withus!

I wouldn't trade my me now for my me then no matter what...

I can't believe what a stupid SJK I was back then - - as opposed to now .. that I"m ... meh. Fair trade, I guess.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HTTR | August 19, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 10:48 AM

No one has ever died from a cancer that was caused by smoking weed. In fact, the tobacco in cigs usually won't kill you either unless you're a chain smoker. It's the carcinogens in the cigs that can make you ill after long term ingestion of them. You know in almost 2000 years of documented use of Mary Jane, there have been literally like 2 or three actual diagnoses of actual marijuana addiction.

Man, people just type in all kinds of supposed "facts" in here, sort of like how the Redskins are destined to suck and the Cowpoops are pre-ordained 2010 SB champs.

I can almost hear the keyboards of the RI Fact Checkers which only really means if they can't find it on Wikipedia or if there is a Wikipedia entry on something else - it's gospel.

Can I get an amen from the congregation!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 19, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I get the selective amnesia and the healing and hope and all that, but Snyder is part and parcel of what the Redskins are in 2010. It's a fact. I'm not going to ignore his presence simply because they're going in a "different direction" this year.

Yes he's trying to be contrite about 2008-09. That's part of his current, 2010 PR offensive. So let's parse that. He's contrite about hiring Zorn. About Vinny he says "we decided to go in a different direction," i.e. Vinny sux. What about his own contribution to the mess Vinny made?

It's relevant because if Shanny's on a three year deal Bowl run, what happens after that? I fail to see how this is not absolutely relevant and worthy of our consideration as amateur Redskins analysts right now.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 19, 2010 10:50 AM |

Andy Reid must be buying heroine from his kid. That's my only theory. But, you'd think he would become thinner, lol.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 19, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 19, 2010 10:52 AM

Then the problem was Reid and their FO, not McNabb. Seems to me, #5 was the only reason they went to any conference title games, regardless of whether they won them or not.

Which only reinforces my point....put a ground attack and a couple top flight targets on the field and the guy will be the most efficient he's ever been. Worked for Elway, it'll work for McNabb.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

WAit... there are RI Fact Checkers?! I thought it was all conjecture and PUNTdits!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

didn't the Eagles get to the NFC championship game with guys like James Thrash among others as their wideouts??

doesn't that speak to the play of 5....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: clandestinetomcat

I don't think it is as much what Reid knows about McNabb but what he thinks he knows about Kolb. Reid looks at McNabb and knows exactly what he is going to get at this point in his career. If he is lucky he will get a duplicate of last year. That is assuming that McNabb would stay relatively healthy which he has struggled to do the last 5 years. With Kolb I believe Reid thinks he can come very close to if not exceed the production he would get from McNabb. Reid traded McNabb to DC to be fair to him and also because he probably felt the trade did not make the Redskins better than the Eagles. I guess we will see if Reid was right or wrong on all accounts.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 19, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 19, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 19, 2010 10:52 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 11:04 AM

Another way of looking at it is the Eagles never had an efficient running attack because opposing defenses focused on the run and dared McNabb to beat them. McNabb is what he is. Good enough to help you win some games, but not great.

Posted by: ahwyatt | August 19, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Fact: The Skins are 8 and 14 against the Iggles since 1999 (DMac's first year).

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 19, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

This Banks guy really intrigues me. His punt return skills aside, I wonder if his speed and quickness can be useful as sort of a flanker, wingback a la Darren Sproles or Reggie Bush role.

Basically someone who you could just dump the ball to in space and watch him make people miss on the way up the sidelines.

Of course I'm afraid that since he's only 150 lbs or less, the first time a 250+ linebacker lays a good hit on him, he'd literally break in two!

Posted by: Predator48 | August 19, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

doesn't that speak to the play of 5....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 11:08 AM

Does the Ravens super bowl win speak to the play of Trent Dilfer? Eagles had some damn good defenses to get to those conference championships.

Posted by: ahwyatt | August 19, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

a blunt and a gatorade cures all hangovers

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: retroskins14 | August 19, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

a blunt and a gatorade cures hangovers

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: retroskins14 | August 19, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
I agree with teams needing a running game. But Reid did have a formula that was successful and I am not sure that I am qualified to say that he would have done better with more focus on a running game.

I think you are underestimating just how hard it is to get top flight receivers. Very rarely do top flight receivers hit the free agent market. Trades for one are usually costly in terms of draft picks. Drafting wrs is somewhat of a crap shoot. Lots of teams want to upgrade their wrs but it aint easy.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 19, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Fact: The Skins are 8 and 14 against the Iggles since 1999 (DMac's first year).

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 19, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Fact: The Iggles have not beaten the Skins this season.

Posted by: HTTR | August 19, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
_______
First McNabb always had a pretty good team around him. Westbrook wasn't chop liver at RB and last year DeSean Jackson was one of the most dangerous.. yet Philly lost to Dallas all 3 times. BTW I get it.. surround a QB with a all star team and he'll win.. that what people who liked Campbell always said, it wasn't him it's the team. Thing is it's BOTH. Manning and Brees got to the Super Bowl because of the team but mainly because of THEIR PLAY!!! Bottomline the Skins improved because Campbell is gone and McNabb is a better QB. My concern is McNabb is on the downside of his career.. the Skins are not the Vikings a good QB away from a championship.. it will take time to make this team a Super Bowl contender question is how good will McNabb be when that happens?

Posted by: sovine08 | August 19, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

it is silly for some to say that some 250lb linebacker is going to break banks in 2..does any one really think a linebacker that size will catch banks? why did not anyone on any level of football that banks has played broken him yet? did he get broken into 2 on that 77 yd. punt return? banks has been the smallest player on all teams he has played for means nothing to him because he continues to prove everyone wrong. mcnabb with team running the ball 36 plus times=wins

Posted by: wathu19 | August 19, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

McNabb "I'm very hard on myself, very critical of what I do out on the field". Hah, are we in for a treat, fetch the popcorn. The next time the Don is critical of himself, sincerely owns responsibility and handles outside criticism will be the first. He never got past the dopey Eagles fans booing him when the team passed on Ricky Williams and selected him.

That Brad Childress opted to wait for a QB that can't stand him to actually decide to play, rather than take a guy he knew and coached for years tells us everything we need to know about Donny Mac. And it ain't so good.

Posted by: mackwheaton | August 19, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Here are the combined stats from the Eagles' defense in 6 playoff games: 2001 title game, 2002 title game, 2003 Title game, Superbowl, 2008 Title game, 2009 Wildcard:

1,332 pass yards allowed, 777 rush yards allowed, 1 INTERCEPTION, and 7 Sacks, with 153 points allowed, 3 fumbles forced.

That's a little more than just 1 sack in 6 games, an average of 122 Rush yards per game, but go ahead and keep blaming McNabb, saying he sucks.

Posted by: blkmanwtan | August 20, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse