Donovan McNabb, Mike Sellers to miss Friday's game vs. Jets (updated)

(Updated: 3:44 p.m.)

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said starting quarterback Donovan McNabb won't play in Friday's preseason game at the New York Jets because of an ankle sprain, an injury that will prevent the first-year Redskin from gaining significant experience in a new offensive system before the regular-season opener.

McNabb injured his left ankle in last week's loss to Baltimore, and he has not practiced this week.

"I don't think it's a bad ankle sprain," Shanahan said. "I don't think it's too bad. But it's still real sore right now, sore enough where he couldn't play this week if it was regular season, so that kind of gives you an idea."

Shanahan also said fullback Mike Sellers (knee) and wide receiver Malcolm Kelly (hamstring) would miss Friday's game.

Starters traditionally get the most time in the third of four preseason game, then rest in the final test so coaches can further evaluate players who are on the fringes of making the roster. Though McNabb was walking on a treadmill Tuesday, it's possible he has played his last preseason snap before making his official Redskins' debut Sept. 12 against Dallas. Washington's final preseason game is Sept. 2 at Arizona.

In two preseason games thus far -- totaling about three quarters of work -- McNabb is 16 for 34 for 264 yards with one touchdown, one interception and a 71.2 rating. He was not made available for comment Tuesday, but he has been critical of himself in the past for not being more comfortable in Shanahan's offense, his first new system in 12 years in the NFL.

"Any time you go into a new system, it takes some time," Shanahan said. "It doesn't happen overnight. If you work every day at it, and as much as you can, you're going to get better. You're going to pick it up. I think he feels a lot more comfortable now than he did a few months ago, that's for sure. But you run a system for any length of time and you come in, it's like learning a different language, which we've talked about before, and then it's got to be automatic to you, so it does take some time."

Shanahan said he and the coaching staff would meet Tuesday night and come up with a plan on how to divide time against the Jets for backups Rex Grossman, John Beck and Richard Bartel, who hasn't played in the preseason. Grossman is 25 of 39 for 335 yards with two touchdowns, an interception and a 97.7 rating. Beck, acquired in a training camp trade with Baltimore, is 2 of 7 for 27 yards, no touchdowns or interceptions and a 43.2 rating.

Shanahan said he couldn't afford to worry about McNabb missing the third preseason game.

"There's nothing you can do about it," Shanahan said. "If somebody sprains an ankle, they sprain an ankle. It's quite sore. And I don't think he could go if it was a regular season game, so he's got to rehab it and hopefully get it better."

By Barry Svrluga and Rick Maese  |  August 24, 2010; 3:05 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb still bothered by ankle
Next: Larry Johnson hopes for redemption shot Friday against Jets

Comments

ouch

Posted by: skinsfaninflorida | August 24, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Saw THAT comin'.

What bothers me is why didn't you pull McNubbin after that first hit he came up gimpy on Friday? They let him get hit at least 3 more times.

MORE O LINE NOW!!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Not interested in being first, just the BEST!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 24, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"...And before he threw that pic Gross(man) had a really nice drive going."

Bears' fans will tell you that what you've described is Rex being himself, not some abberation.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 24, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Russellmania09
Shanahan rules out Kelly for Friday, but says he is running routes better
2 minutes ago via Twitter for Android

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wstclair | August 24, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Russellmania09
Shanahan rules out Kelly for Friday, but says he is running routes better
2 minutes ago via Twitter for Android

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

john_keim
Shanahan said mcnabb would not play even if this were a regular-season game. #redskins
half a minute ago via mobile web

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, hopefully, this means we will see all three of the other quarterbacks getting some playing time. I guess the guy who draws the shortest straw gets the backup offensive line. Oh, and if any of them are reading, I think Will Robinson's nickname should be "El Matador".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 24, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Boogers

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 24, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Quick, somebody phone the Raiders.

BA: Hey Colt, you know the stakes. You know the playbook. You know the players.

It's the third game of the pre-season -- it's your annual opportunity to shine.

[Click]

Hey Colt, you still there? Colt, Colt? Where are you, you big lunkhead.

Come on, Colt,.... quit fooling around already!

Hey Operator, could you get me the number for Todd Collins?

That's T O D D...

Posted by: Vic1 | August 24, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"Smart move he doesn't need to play anymore at all this pre-season you know what you are going to get from McNabb."

Yeah really.

I just hope it's not something worse then a sprain.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 24, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

this doesn't exactly help the assessment of the WRs. Guess Friday will be a run-focused offense.

Posted by: pgugino | August 24, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

duh, i reported that last thread

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I imagine most of us expected this. Grossman's weakness is the picks, of course, but on the other hand he's a good passer with a lot more familiarity with this offense than McNabb. I'd expect Ryan to throw the blitz book at him, which is actually good practice for the Skins. If you can get past clubs that are playing as if it's already the stretch run -- like Baltimore, the Jets, and Tennessee -- you should be prepared for whatever Dallas comes up with.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh great.. the game where starters are supposed to play like 3 quarters... so what happens in the 4th game then??

Not looking forward to Grossman and Beck playing the entire game. This one's gonna be a snoozer.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 24, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone stated just what Donovan's injury is? Sprain? Bad contusion? Stress fracture?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 24, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of QBs, that guy Nate Davis from SF looked extremely good in that game against the Colts this past weekend.

Posted by: manlius1 | August 24, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

4th, how do you like the Android? If you know, how does it compare to the Iphone?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

When all is said and done, this game is meaningless.

I wanted Coach Shanahan to sit McNabb anyway, ankle problem or no ankle problem.

McNabb knows what he's doing and I want him 100% for Dallas, which he will be.

This game should be about throwing a heavy dose of running at NY.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 24, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

jeffduncantp
LaDell Betts has switched his jersey to No. 46 from No. 40, taking the number after Marcus Mailei was placed on IR. Betts wore No. 46 in WAS
2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

iPhone rulz
Android droolz

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | August 24, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Saw that. Apparently he has a long way to go.

Singletary killing him for not putting in the amount of work to be starter. And he's got Whitlock writing articles about how he already thinks he's made it, when really he's done nothing.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 24, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Grossman needs the work with the 1st team he's going to be taking a lot of snaps during the reg season anyway.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 24, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that Balt was running fake punts and blitzes while Shanny was intentially throwing the ball a ton in order to evaluate receivers. I guess it is party teams in two different "places" and partly two different philosophies on the purpose of a preseason game.

Based on what we saw last weekend, I have to guess that Shanny has a plan for the Jets game that is related to evaluating a certain group of players and is not related to how to win the game (or that portion of the game where starters go against one another).

Posted by: manlius1 | August 24, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone saying McNabb shouldnt be playing this has to be kidding. McNabb and the Redskins offense as a whole need all the game experience they can get

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | August 24, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone saying McNabb shouldnt be playing this weekend has to be kidding. McNabb and the Redskins offense as a whole need all the game experience they can get

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | August 24, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Those who advocate cutting Haynesworth or getting hosed in some trade are focusing 100% on the downside. That's very short sighted.

AH isn't going to get out of Washington the easy way because it's not in current management's interest to have him do so.

He'll have to play hard to get out, hard like it was his contract year. Then his stock will rise and the Redskins will be able to get something decent in return for him. Everybody wins.

If he doesn't play hard or talks too much smack, he'll be fairly punished and will serve as an excellent object lesson for his team mates and the NFL as a whole. This alone is worth more than a 4th round round draft pick. It's not worth more than a second, though.

Last, the peril of AH being a "locker room distraction" is overrated. Evidence suggests that all the other players have bought into Shanahan's program and that they aren't buying into Haynesworth's.

So that leaves Albert "out there" all by himself, except when the media comes calling.

Color me unimpressed with the drama. I like things the way they are right now: all upside, no downside.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 24, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Saw that. Apparently he has a long way to go.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 ****

Are you talking about Alex Smith? Davis is a rookie and, so far as I know, expected to be a backup if he even makes the team. But Davis really impressed when he was in the game.

Posted by: manlius1 | August 24, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

hogshaven
#Redskins fans are reacting like McNabb is out for the season....calm down everyone.
7 minutes ago via web from Aurora Highlands, Arlington
Retweeted by you and 2 others

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

So far, I've only heard iPhone owners b!tch about the current version ... and I've only heard Android users say that they're happier with it than their old iPhone.

At home, I'm still rotary dial and my cell looks like its been dropped in acid, but I'm interested in hearing about the difference too.

Posted by: dcsween | August 24, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Not great, but he gives them something they don't have= Size. And shanahan keeps leaving the door open. RT @JDurham67: @kjohnsoncsn So what do you think of Kelly's chances of making the team now?
kjohnsoncsn via UberTwitter

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

CL, if iPhone is still only on AT&T then I'm pretty sure it drulz as well.

Verizon rulz.
AT&T drulz.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | August 24, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

No, I was talking about Davis and I understand he was expected to be the backup this year.
Just relaying what was said/written about him.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 24, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, iH8dallas, but I think we all understand that it's easier to get your running game going (even in preseason) when you have the threat of at least a competent passing game. And I doubt anybody is going to look at this team without McNabb and consider its passing game threatening.

Whatevs... getting through this "game" with no more injuries is the goal.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 24, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | August 24, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks a gimpy McNabb should play against the most blitz happy team in the league in a game that doesn't count when our chances for the entire real season pretty much rest on #5 staying healthy has to be kidding. You really think risking Mc5 is worth the 3 quarters of "experience" the 34 year old vet would get?.......I don't

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 24, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

27 minutes without a post.

Where ever'body done goed?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 24, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"I don't have the android. I quit 'smart' phones. Just give me a mobile phone wit a dial tone. F Apps."

Oh silly 4th...

AT&T is fine. I say best deal is the $99 iPhone 3GS w/the newest software update. My iPhone is my favorite thing in my life that doesn't have a heartbeat.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

There's work available for some of you bamas.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Verizon does rulz
But paying the bill droolz

Hail Cricket! Slashed my bill in half....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

He is who Andy Reid thinks he is.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 24, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, are people pissing and moaning about Mcnabb not being able to play a frickin' preseason game??

Get a grip folks; let him get healthy and work into shape for Sept 12.

He's a vet who will know how to prepare despite missing the all-important 3rd game. Yeah, yeah, I know it's ideal for him to build chemistry with the offense - it looked to me like he knows how to find Moss, Davis, Cooley and Armstrong, so I'm not that bothered.

Posted by: p1funk | August 24, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@learnedhand1

Android is an operating platform. The Droid is the phone. The Droid X is if I am not mistaken is the closest thing that verizon has to the Iphone. The Sprint Evo is the absoulute closest to the Iphone.

Posted by: Httr4Life | August 24, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 24, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

co-sign

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 24, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"

He is who Andy Reid thinks he is.

Posted by: Alan4"

Keep on bringing the dumb Alan4. Bet you can't wait for the skins to suck so you can crow "I told you so" Not to mention it was Andy Reid who had to be forced to get rid of McNabb.....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

What in the world do these sentences even mean? He doesn't think its too bad ... but in the regular season, he wouldn't be playing.

What would be "too bad"? Is it not "too bad" if the player doesn't go on IR? If a player does go on IR, isn't it self-explanatory that its bad?

I know that Shanahan did some graduate level studying of NFL teams since leaving Denver, but I gotta think that he had a class or two with Joe Gibbs on how to say a bunch of words but not say anything.

Posted by: dcsween | August 24, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The droid is lame. if I had to have a non-iPhone iPhone I would go Evo...or maybe the Google Nexus One.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

of course dcsween, a good NFL coach NEVER makes sense to the press. All the "Zorn is so refreshing" horsesiht was the first sign of how awful he was to be.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Httr4Life | August 24, 2010 4:21 PM

So which is better than iPhone? I thought that Droid worked with other providers and iPhone means you get AT&T's network (which maybe is faster or has more bandwidth in NYC than it does here) ...

Posted by: dcsween | August 24, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Whatevs... getting through this "game" with no more injuries is the goal.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 24, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was to make the highlights of Hard Knocks

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 24, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

CL, isn't the iPhone supposed to be on the Verizon network soon? If so, any idea when?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

There's work available for some of you bamas.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I could do that job, and I'm white.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 24, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Last nerd-tech post. But this is a funny video about evo v iphone. And even though its being brilliantly lampooned.....I'm the person saying "I Dont Care"

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign.

A real NFL coach understands the press for what it is - a necessary evil.

"Necessary" because publicity is what allows these coaches and players to be able to have jobs and make lots of money doing what they do.

"Evil" because press-folk are drama-vultures who are nothing but potential liabilities to the focus and preparation of their teams.

So good coaches master the art of flipping the slim-shady to the press in a subtle enough and round-about way where they can't actually be accused of flipping the slim-shady to the press - because then they simply give the drama-vultures more carrion to feed on.

Posted by: p1funk | August 24, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:22 PM

Alright, CL, I plead ignorance here. How, praytell was Andy Reid forced to get rid of McNabb? And if you can't provide a legitimate link, that pretty much settles who's bringing the dumb.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 24, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 24, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I bet McNabb would start if the Dallas game was this sunday.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 24, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

OK not last one.

1. Nothing better than iPhone

2. Android is op system, a number of phones have it (evo, droid, nexus one)they all have different contracts/service providers etc.

3. Any phone, even iphone can be unlocked or jailbroke and use any carrier...but you will pay higher price for hardware initially.

4. NYC actually one of the worst regions for coverage on AT&T. But who cares talking on the phone is for rubes.

5. Long time rumor for iPhone to Verizon, some say for late fall xmass rush. But then again some thought it was going to be announced back in July.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2010 4:29 PM

I've heard Dec/Jan. I have AT&T because of the iPhone. The service, cov, & price blows but nothing compares to the device. I'll be switching to verizon then.

and F Dallas

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 24, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:31 PM

That settles it. I want to iPhone4. Right now. Can you waive the activation fee? My sister says that Walgreens has them on sale.

Posted by: dcsween | August 24, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | August 24, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"Forced" I think is the wrong word, but from what I remember hearing, Andy Reid definitely had his stones in a vice-grip.

Both Kolb and mcNabb had contracts that were expiring in 2010. Both the Kolb and McNabb camps were clamboring for extensions.

The Kolb camp was telling the FO that if Kolb didn't get the chance to start, they wouldn't sign an extension and they would walk after 2010.

Andy Reid wanted to ride things out with McNabb - the guy he trusts. But others in the FO were starting to look to the future and believe that they had their guy in Kolb, particularly since he played well in his limited starts. And they weren't prepared to lose out on Kolb and give McNabb another extension...future is now sort of stuff.

So the decision was made to move McNabb while they could still get value for him.

I don't have a link, but I'm not making the scenario up - I'm too dumb for that.

If you want a link, have fun googling...

Posted by: p1funk | August 24, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Alan4,

Boom roasted. Keep humpin the dumb my man.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

27 minutes without a post.

Where ever'body done goed?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 24, 2010 4:11 PM

Huh, guess the comments must've been clogged on my end. Clearly it wasn't 27 minutes without a post.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 24, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I just read that AT&T has a five-year exclusivity agreement for the iPhone that doesn't expire until 2012. Speculation is that Verizon is behind the Verizon iPhone rumors.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

a number of us were making these comments months ago. I guess its better late than never for nfl.com to figure this out.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 24, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 24, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

co-sign

I third that. Also am happy its left ankle not as big of a deal for a righty

Posted by: zjenks | August 24, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

p1funk: since when is getting your nutz in a vice less forceful than forced?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Alan4 | August 24, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Yeah...

"It's only preseason, no need to risk further injury to McNabb."

"Hey, it was the Ravens, after all."

"As long as he's ready to go Sept. 12th, it's fine."

Well, the problem I have with this is that it is indicative of, what I fear, has become a McNabb trend. That's why I jokingly refer to him as McHurt many times. Or McInjured.

He's not going to start all the games for us this year. The guy gets hurt. He's going to miss a number of games and we don't have the luxury of deciding which division rivals he plays against and which ones he sits against.

Yes, it was the Ravens, however, it was only preseason - not like they were throwing very complex blitzes at us. Mostly they were beating their men, one on one, and toss in a safety coming straight up the middle, and Voila, McNabb is hurt. What I'm saying is it is going to be a lot more intense during the regular season.

As will the injuries.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 24, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: --swb | August 24, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

p1funk: since when is getting your nutz in a vice less forceful than forced?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

You could always throw down a "it's him or me" line in the sand.

For instance, Jim Zorn wasn't "forced" to accept Sherm Lewis; he could have walked out the door.

The Redskins aren't "forced" to deal with AH - they could simply cut him.

Andy Reid grudgingly accepted the decision.

...basically, you could always opt for the nut-crushing as painful as it may be, and, ironically, hold on to your manhood in the process...

Posted by: p1funk | August 24, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5

Disagree that the skins win here. I think no matter what happens the skins lose here. He is not going to practice hard and play hard. He wouldnt do it for any coach unless he was in a contract year.

It has been well documented in the case of cancerous teammate that the team ends up paying the player to stay away. The most they can do is suspend him for 4 games. See TO in philly. The Eagles suspended him 4 games for conduct that has gone far beyond anything Fat Al has done. Fat Al is going to have phantom injuries that are going to cause him to miss practice. He is not going to go 100% and there is nothing the Redskins can do about it.

They won't be able to touch his signing bonus unless he decides to just not show up or starts openly criticizing management and teammates or gets into physical confrontations with teammates.

Fat Al is aware of all of this and will not do anything to risk his money.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 24, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Most of the faux hope and belief I had for the season is gone. I think I just got hit with a reality check. This season should be interesting.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 24, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

while many skins fans are ready to jump off the cliff with this news, i'm still looking forward to the Jets game. we get to see Grossman go against first stringers... could be really interesting! haha, i mean really, with Mcnabb we know what we're getting. mcnabb has played exactly how i thought he would. grossman tho and the first team... who knows! it'll be a test because i'm sure at some point this season he'll have to start a game for mcnab, cuz he always misses a game or two. so it will give us an idea of how Rex will do.

Posted by: destewar | August 24, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Forget Colt .. its looks like we dropped Chase Daniel a little too early :(

Posted by: mac2j | August 24, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

The hopes and dreams of a competitive season are falling all apart. Can we trade McGlass to Oakland and get JC back?

Posted by: Skins11 | August 24, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Sexy Rexy is going to connect with Armstrong and Galloway on those wide-open bombs against the Jets. Then we'll have a quarterback controversy that will silence all the Haynesworth nonsense

Posted by: coparker5 | August 24, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

pepper5 wrote:
"Haynesworth is either going to play or he's going to pay some $ back. In either case the Skins win."
*******************************************
Incorrect
Fat Al has already collected $36 mill of Dan Dummies $, which is way more than Coach S. wil collect here in his 2-3 yrs in DC.

Ask yourself this, why haven;t they traded Fat Al? Cause they can't

Question 2, why haven't they cut him? See above, which cause they'd eat $36 mill AND have Fat Al play elsewhere this season.

Sorry, but blame Dan Dummy

Posted by: morrisday1 | August 24, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

havent seen an update on Kelly recently. Has he been practicing, any chance of playing this weekend?

Posted by: db73 | August 24, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I too was impressed with the QB for the 49'ers Sun night, a rookie from Ball state?
Very composed, passed and ran, looked just as good as A.Smith albeit, with backups.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 24, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Most horrifying idea since Danny Woeful threw noodle-arm passes as a Skins QB: "McNabb's out? No problem! We've got Rex Grossman."

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | August 24, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I for one wouldn't be thrilled but wouldn't go into a panic attack either if Rex Grossman was forced to start a few games for us this season..he knows the offense and other than a turnover or two more than McNabb gives up-seems to move the ball pretty well. Who gives a f^%k...its better than JC holding the ball and taking a sack because he's afraid to turn the ball over..

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Since when is "he knows the offense" such a good thing? Don't you want -- and I'm just spitballin' here -- some talent in your QB? Some leadership? Some decision-making skills?

OK, knowing the offense is enough. I guess any guy off the street who studies the playbook can be the Skins QB these days, right?

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | August 24, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Is Mr. Joey Galloway still on the roster? If not, please let me know so that I can resume following my favorite team.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | August 25, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

i think the NFC East will be wide open this year. Dallas and Philly have been way over hyped (that's new) and the Redskins and Giants will be better than expected. Okay the Giants won't be much better than expected still I think every divisional game will be critical to the outcome of the division winner. all who think since the pre-season has started the skins look worse I propose looking at team cohesion more than the playcalling and compared to what I've seen with Philly and Dallas our first unit looks more familiar and comfortable on the field. Mc5 and Cooley look as if they've been roomin together all summer. what we haven't seen yet, but I'm sure is coming is a strong running attack. and while I'm sure it weasn't covered in coachology 101 I'm sure advanced coachology "theories and applications states that not showing albert with the first team Defense is srategically a smart move in anticipation of Dallas. in closing I must admit my inital plan was to qeury all the people who were calling for a cooley trade and demanding the release of Hall, Portis and Landry and whoever else made the headlines that week, but in the spirit of brotherhood and in the name of goodsportsmanship I thought it'df b e better to make fun of that money grubbing golddigger on the direct t.v. commercial. you the one who says "that's why it's odd that our neighbor is a Redskins fan" yeah Troy Barkman's owner. Classic cowboy fan portrayal. you know she's just waitin for her old oil barren husband to die off. cowboys fans are so proud to be represented so elegantly. makes 'em prouder than a possum in an attic

Posted by: nflorida1 | August 25, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Kelly injured. Whats new. Thank god Cerrato is gone and hopefully we won't be over paying for free agents and wasting draft picks anymore.

Posted by: shoreterp1 | August 25, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

What's all this smartphone garbage on here? Is this spam? WaPo, you gonna block them?
How annoying.

Posted by: Andrew53 | August 27, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Who is surprised Kelly went to McNabb bootcamp in Arizona healthy, and came back lame? Nobody.

When I saw he was going to attend that workout I knew he would fall apart.

Posted by: Rex91 | August 27, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse