Donovan McNabb no longer the new kid

Quarterback Donovan McNabb will take the field Sunday wearing burgundy and gold for the first time in his career. And though the Cowboys' game marks his Washington debut, he says he no longer feels like the new quarterback on the block.

"I feel like I've been here," said McNabb, who was acquired in a trade in April and spent most of the offseason working out at Redskins Park.

McNabb is back taking snaps with the starters in practice this week, getting ready for Sunday's season opener. He suffered an ankle sprain against Baltimore on Aug. 21 and had to sit out the final two preseasons games, as well as two weeks of practices.

Asked what he missed during that time, McNabb said, "a lot of sweating." But the truth is, while he's still grasping the new offense, every missed live-action snap is a missed opportunity to get more comfortable with the new system, developed by Mike and Kyle Shanahan.

"You wish you could've been out there and just worked on your timing and chemistry a bit," McNabb said. "We'll have a couple of days -- we'll have all week to get back into that. It's only been a week and a half or two weeks. It's not like I've been out for eight weeks. Just got to get back on the horse and get out here and have fun."

McNabb says his ankle isn't 100 percent, but he'll be starting on Sunday. Asked to peg an exact percentage on his ankle's health, McNabb said: "Does it really matter, at this point? This is the regular season. This is what it's all about. It's time to play football."

By Rick Maese  |  September 8, 2010; 12:48 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lorenzo Alexander learning yet another position
Next: Wade Phillips: Revamped Redskins are 'an unknown'

Comments

I hate to sweat.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Let's get this party started!!

Posted by: wireman65 | September 8, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

4 more days...

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

J Reid hates to sweat too, which is why is fat lazy azz has such weak posts.

Posted by: frmi | September 8, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"Donovan McNabb no longer the new kid."

Yeah, he's 33, not 23.

He lost to the cowboys 3x last year. A record that can only be tied. Enough of the nonsense and cute titles, it's the F'ing Catalina Wine Mixer this Sunday night.

Skins 23 - girls 17

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 8, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what the RI/leigh torrence phenomenon is? Is it a running joke in that he left the skins then had success? do people think he is a better DB than he actually is?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 8, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

103 more hours...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 8, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Why won't coach come right out and say I'm a starter?

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 8, 2010 1:03 PM

Leigh Torrence, Antonio Pierce, Marcus Mason, and Marko Mitchell.

That's it that's the list, if we only had those 4 guys..

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 8, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise

It not that people think he's a better DB than he actually is... He IS a better DB than people think he actually is. Dude was never given a real chance at succeeding while he was here. Call it another Cerrato blunder when they let him go.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

d44, just reading that list a couple of times makes my hair hurt....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 8, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"Alexander has lined up at outside linebacker, defensive tackle, defensive end, guard, tight end and fullback. He also fills roles on special teams."

And whereas his flexibility is laudable, he still hasn't played enough as a starter to earn a varsity letter.

Let's get some guys who excel at the positions he's learning, that way, he either plays or is just a special teamer.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence, Antonio Pierce, Marcus Mason, and Marko Mitchell.

That's it that's the list, if we only had those 4 guys..

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 8, 2010 1:08 PM

Didn't you forget my name?

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence?!! We talkin' 'bout Leigh Torrence?!

Did you know Leigh Torrence is the godfather of my son? He shows up at the church in his golf pants, caked in mud. Well, ol' Leigh pushes the priest aside and says, 'I'll baptize that piece of calamari!' Then he pours Scotch all over my baby son and says, 'There! You're baptized!' The boy is blind to this day!"

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 8, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

yet Douthy has survived with 2 different staff's I guess because he's a studious player and maybe a nice guy. But its not because of anything he does on the field.

he's always out of position or trailing a play and when he comes down hill he misses tackles.

Posted by: jrwalkerivory | September 8, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Doughty has a lot going for him. He's one of the smartest players in the NFL, he's had a 4.0 GPA throughout H.S. and College. I bet people will start talking about him this year like they talked about Landry last year: he's playing out of position. He should not be starting at FS, he belongs at the line of scrimmage. He's a pretty decent SS but of course Landry is there. I felt like last year he had some pretty good games and tackled pretty well, maybe I'm wrong about that, but it seemed like down the stretch when Landry was diving at players and bouncing off them like ping pong balls, Doughty would make fundamental tackles. Does he have the awesome speed or strength? Is he a physical specimen? That would be a big no on both, but he's smart enough to know where he belongs on the field and make adjustments when he f*cks up. I really like him for depth at SS.

Posted by: monk811 | September 8, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence, Antonio Pierce, Marcus Mason, and Marko Mitchell.

That's it that's the list, if we only had those 4 guys..

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 8, 2010 1:08 PM

Didn't you forget my name?

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 1:13 PM

I'd love to forget your name and file it next to Dion, Bruce, Stubby & Arch.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 8, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

d44, just reading that list a couple of times makes my hair hurt....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 8, 2010 1:10 PM |

I wish I had hair that hurts !

Posted by: hessone | September 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 8, 2010 1:03 PM
------------------------------------------
I am sure the story will change depending on who you talk to, but in a nutshell Torrence was a special teams guy and sometimes nickel back. He was popular with the players and many RI posters. He was released to make way for D. Hall and there was lots of moaning and groaning about letting Torrence go. He really wasn't anything special, but you would have thought he was by all the noise being made. It seemed like a real stupid personnel decision at the time since Tryon could have been released and signed to the practice squad. Some people suggest that the Redskins started losing right after Torrence was released. The team lost five of their next seven games in 2008 after he was released, and then there was the disaster that was 2009. Conversely, Torrence was on the Saints roster last year when they won the Super Bowl.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 8, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I miss Brad Johnson.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 8, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 8, 2010 1:16 PM |

co-sign, nicely said monk

Posted by: hessone | September 8, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

First coach says I'm going to be traded, then he says I'll be starting, but that I shouldn't tell anyone. I think he is trying to hide something from someone.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

“Quarterback Donovan McNabb will take the field Sunday wearing burgundy and gold for the first time in his career….”

Gold pants?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 8, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 8, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sunday's Best Games:

Minn v. NO 8:30 (THURS--yeah, I know it's not Sunday)

Indy v. Houston 1:00

Atl. v. Pitt. 1:00

BAL v. Jets 7:00 (Mon.--yeah, I know it's not Sunday)

Carolina v. Giants 1:00

Analysis:

INDY v Houston should be a delectable affair.

Panthers v. Giants should tell us which direction both teams are headed in.

Should the Ravens wreck the Jets--which they will--the green boo-birds will begin falling out of love with M Sanchez.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence, Antonio Pierce, Marcus Mason, and Marko Mitchell.

That's it that's the list, if we only had those 4 guys..

Posted by: Diesel44

Jack Torrence, Hawkeye Pierce, Perry Mason, and Capt. Scott Mitchell.

I'll put my 4 up against your 4.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

james thrash is still available. mcnabb and him had great chemistry in philadelphia. sign him and torrence and playoffs are right around the corner

Posted by: goose33 | September 8, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to forget your name and file it next to Dion, Bruce, Stubby & Arch.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 8, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I love Celine. What's your problem?

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 8, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

McNabb lost 3 times to the Cowgirls last year. No, the Eagles did. Years before he toasted those Cowdopes - Right Tony Korndog??? (Got the Orange-man fired for his dumb comments during the Monday night game). Problem for you Deadskins fans is you don't have the years before model. You've got last year's model. Thanks for the starting Safety - Nate Allen. Oh yeah... "You can't win without Albert."

Posted by: Dog-1 | September 8, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, you funny.

I can't believe that you are interested in the Carolina/Giants game though. Carolina is really bad I think and the Giants are almost certainly underrated.

Posted by: rgj21 | September 8, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Why won't coach come right out and say I'm a starter?

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

dude cut it out..we know its not you. You wouldnt dare read the local media because it will make you cry...but at least you could use a hundred dollar bill to blow your nose...

anyway here are my NFC, AFC playoff predictions

Colts
Ravens
Patriots
Chargers

Wild card
Texans
Jets/raiders/bengals/steelers will all be on the bubble

superbowl predictions: