Donovan McNabb plans to study Redskins' offense from the sidelines

Although Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb will sit out Friday night's game because of an ankle injury, he still plans to work against the New York Jets at New Meadowlands Stadium.

McNabb will analyze the Jets' defense and offer advice to backup quarterback Rex Grossman, who may play into the third quarter, and third- and fourth-string signal-callers Richard Bartel and John Beck. They may need the help.

The Redskins struggled against the Ravens' formidable 3-4 defense in last week's 23-3 loss at FedEx Field. The Jets also run an aggressive 3-4 scheme, and McNabb acknowledges the Redskins must become more efficient on offense as the regular-season opener against the NFC East rival Dallas Cowboys draws closer.

"They are great teams as far as their defensive experience and the things that they do, their schemes," McNabb said in comparing the Ravens and Jets. "I think it definitely will help us continue to come together and be able to be prepared for any and everything.

"As far as tests are concerned, just kind of going back to the last game, there were mistakes in that game that we obviously need to clean up. Obviously, from myself, some throws I wanted back, we dropped some balls [and] mistakes up front."

Washington's offense against Baltimore, however, wasn't necessarily as ineffective as it appeared, McNabb said.

"There were opportunities in that game," he said. "And there could have turned out to be bigger plays than what we had. I think that's something, coming into this week, that we obviously want to get corrected and make sure we do the right things."

By Jason Reid  |  August 26, 2010; 11:19 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb , Preseason schedule
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rex Grossman looking to bounce back against Jets
Next: Kyle Shanahan isn't surprised by Anthony Amstrong's success

Comments

McNabb is right. If they hadn't dropped the 3 or 4 easy passes that should have been caught, including Fred D's touchdown drop, and not fallen for the stupid direct snap on the punt, it would have been a whole different game. The Skins definitely had their opportunities.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This just in:

Players will do their jobs. Except Albert Haynesworth who will do someone else's job. Poorly.

Ok - you can browse elsewhere now. C'mon Jibba jabba - step it up!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

The Season can't come by fast enough....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I sure hope DMc doesn't miss more than 2 games during the regular seaons. Rex "That Idiot" (tm) Grossman would be an absolute disaster at QB.

I like what Armstrong did on Saturday. A keeper. The play where McNabb overthrew him totally fooled both corners and the saftey absolutely froze. DT11 broke open even earlier. Great job by the OL, a big gain to Armstrong or a TD to Thomas if the throw is on-target. Which most of the time it will be. The deep balls (so to speak) where there against B'more, and with some more game experience I think there are going to be big plays all season. So unlike Zoron's offense!

Gawd I cannot wait for Dallas, with their patched up OL, comes to town. I want to see Tony Romo get Danny Whiteified.

I hope that the zebras call a good game: Baltimore was holding a lot but I don't think you get those calls in many preseason games. If you blitz and get a guy free, so be it. But the refs are going to protect first string QBs when they can.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 26, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

DCP, the refs did a cr@p job protecting the QB's in the Baltimore game. I don't think we will see much change this week.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Who thinks Zoron had something to do with that fake punt call? In preseason? How very Ball Coach of him.

The view from the end zone clearly showed that Baltimore holding on the play. However, with the Umpire no longer behind the defense, that is going to happen a lot this year.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 26, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

word 4th, word.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I think we know what we have in Grossman. I am sure there are some finer points to his game, but basically, what he brings to the game is what it is. I am more interested to see the o-line do a better job, see if the receiver picture can come a little more into focus and see if WP has anything left. The defense needs to do a better job of stuffing the run, because if you force the Jets to pass, you win. I personally would like to see Landry put a bone crunching hit on Coles for running his mouth this week, and a few more turnovers, please.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 26, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 26, 2010 11:46 AM

No one but you. If Zorn had called it, it wouldn't have worked. Then, there would have been a penalty against the Redskins, he would call it again, and it still wouldn't work.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 26, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

McNubb misses 4 games this year due to injury, and consistently throws passes down at his receivers' feet. Rexy looks competent and actually wins a few games. Full-blown controversy over two mediocre QBs by Thanksgiving.

Posted by: mcnabbsuckscampbellwasbetter | August 26, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason, you're an idiot. are you trying to be just like JLC? You're turning into a huge D-bag.

Posted by: Freddr055 | August 26, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mcnabbsuckscampbellwasbetter | August 26, 2010 1:20 PM

McNabb has the ability to make plays to win games we otherwise wouldn't. Sometimes he misses, sometimes the receiver drops the ball, sometimes we will lose. With Campbell at the helm we pretty much only won games we would win with any other QB because the last time he made a play to win a game was in 2007.

Posted by: Keiser | August 26, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

word 4th, word.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2010 11:46 AM

Boyz to Men or was it Bell Biv DeVoe?: "Word to muthaaaa......"

Posted by: smokeybear2 | August 26, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I guess, maybe I'm weird. I cannot find myself on the side of Dan Snyder in this Laveraneus Coles/Snyder thing.

Sure, Coles was rude and, well, not very nice. Still... I watched Coles play for the Redskins. He left more of himself on the field in a few seasons than Snyder ever will.

Coles played hard, took the hits for his QB (Ramsey!!), and to move the chains. Snyder only takes for himself.

I'm a homer, but I draw the line. I'm not gonna sit here and clap my hands when somebody wearing burgundy and gold (same goes for maroon and black, by the way) does F'ed up sh!t. By the same token, if somebody wearing a blue star on their helmet does something heroic, I'm not gonna sit here and act like they suck.

I feel, as a fan, I owe much more to Laveraneus Coles than to Dan Snyder. At least Coles didn't play "FANTASY!!" with my GDamn home team!

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 27, 2010 3:05 AM | Report abuse

Dear Insider and Post Webmaster,
Stop it. Just stop it. Stop changing the byline, title, or headline for columns that are days old. Yes you can recycle your columns to make it seem as if you have more news. Ok. But to wait 48 hours and then change the title of your piece on the main sports page is just annoying.
Thanks