Posted at 5:43 PM ET, 02/ 1/2011

Donovan McNabb says he's "definitely a Redskin"--for now

By Rick Maese

Washington quarterback Donovan McNabb is providing guest analysis this week for ESPN, and not surprisingly, the embattled signal-caller took some time to address his status with the Redskins.

"As of right now, I'm definitely a Washington Redskin," McNabb told ESPN's Mike Tirico. "I signed a contract to be with them the next couple of years, and that's the way I'm treating it as such. And I think the way of approaching it myself is to make sure that this offseason I focus on being a better quarterback and being ready for the 2011 season."

Not really breaking a lot of new ground there, but McNabb isn't one to make unnecessary waves.
Tirico then asked McNabb whether he's been in discussions with the team in the recent weeks.

"I haven't talked to them," McNabb said, according to a transcript provided by the network. "On business aspects, that's when Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen and Fletcher Smith -- my agent -- get a chance to sit down and talk that aspect. But for the physical standpoint, I'll just make sure that I'm ready when the time comes if we are playing this year to be ready to step in and have fun."

It was not exactly clear from his appearance whether his agent has already met with the Redskins, though it sounded like talks between the two sides are in the future.

"For Fletcher Smith, as well as Bruce and Mike, they'll get a chance to sit down and iron some things out, and after the evaluation -- they've been evaluating the last several weeks -- hear their answer as to what we're doing next," McNabb said. "And we'll go from there."

Tirico asked point-blank whether McNabb could return to Washington. McNabb did not offer a point-blank answer.

"Well, you know, there's a lot of things that has to be answered for all parties," he said. "At this particular time, I think it's important for all parties to keep everything low right now. What's less said is better and then from now on when the time comes to sit down, kind of iron it out and be able to move forward."

By Rick Maese  | February 1, 2011; 5:43 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: From Redskins reject to Super Bowl with the Steelers
Next: Where are you watching The Game?

Comments

Way to go Donovan, pretending you still might be here is making your trade value go up a little!

Posted by: ddrcoaster | February 1, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I think I've flip-flopped.

My poop smells like butt.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 1, 2011 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Donovan may not have figured out Shanahan's system on the field, but off of it ... he definitely learned 'Shanahan speak'.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 1, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse

My butt smells like poop.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 1, 2011 2:22 PM |
-------

then get your head out of your ass

Posted by: hessone | February 1, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Cam Newton's own media-day workout work against him By Mark J. Miller CBS

But scheduling his own media day may bring Newton more negative attention than good, especially if he does poorly or injures himself. The anonymous scout said, "The Newtons would be best to realize they aren't in college anymore. Regardless of how good he looks for [the media], there isn't going to be a bidding war for him. We're not recruiting him."
Keep away please

Posted by: suliman215 | February 1, 2011 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Your but smells like POOP

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 1, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Your butt smells like POOP

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 1, 2011 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I keep tellin' y'all, why draft Locker if you've got McNabb, watch him stay , and next year , after his value goes back up, we throw him in the smorgasbord of picks and players that lands us...LUCK...

Posted by: frak | February 1, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

what else can he say?

At this point in time he is still a Redskin.

no news, is no news.

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 1, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Donovan McNabb almost certainly will not be a Redskin next year. Rex Grossman will, Alex Smith might and a rookie will probably be on the roster.

The question is, what do we get for Mcnabb?

A trade to SF for Alex Smith plus an extra draft pick? Surely McNabb is still worth more in the eyes of the NFL than Smith is.

But what about the draft?

QB at 10?
LB at 10?
DL at 10?
OL at 10?

I wish free agency would hurry up and get here so we could get this show on the road.

However, the more I rub my crystal ball, the more I see something really off the wall happening at the QB position.

Carson Palmer.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

McNabb: "At this particular time, I think it's important for all parties to keep everything low right now. What's less said is better and then from now on when the time comes to sit down, kind of iron it out and be able to move forward."

Translation: "No comment."

Posted by: Alan4 | February 1, 2011 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 6:25 PM

Dude, you gotta quit rubbing your crystal ball so much, that's why you're goin' blind!

Posted by: Alan4 | February 1, 2011 6:34 PM | Report abuse

"Just clownin' ya man, I can imagine Carson Palmer in a Skins uni too. But Lil Shanny really seems to like Rex, so I'm not sure what the team would be willing to give up to get Palmer.

Posted by: Alan4"

This is tongue-in-cheek, right?? Surely McNabb-Ochocinco-Owens trio would have big-play-glamour written all over it...Why would we trade a player who , after a learning year a la Cutler, is bound to be improved under Kyle's system , for a player Palmer that would be benched shortly after for the Shanny's new Elway, Luck??

I think we cruise with both Don and Fat Al, the way management is talkin', that way our first two picks are spent on non-QB or NTs, and there's a stealthy excuse for not having a great record next year, before the Luck lottery...

Posted by: frak | February 1, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Are the Redskins Going to Draft a Quarterback?

Posted by: suliman215 | February 1, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Skins don't draft a quarterback this year...Unless it's Kaepernick on the cheap...(that is, for a 2nd)..

Posted by: frak | February 1, 2011 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I say give Donovan another shot. A proven All Pro is better in the short term than throwing a drafted rookie in there.

Posted by: DaveLopan | February 1, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaveLopan | February 1, 2011 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think the Shanahans will make the mistake of starting Grossman.

Posted by: suliman215 | February 1, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is highly respected in the player community and amongst the Redskin's players..They need to treat him with more respect than he got last year, regardless of if they keep him or not...

Posted by: frak | February 1, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 6:25 PM

Posted by: Alan4 | February 1, 2011 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Give up Haynesworth. Cincinatti has a long tradition of taking troubled players.

I have that uneasy feeling that comes with every offseason, I'm hoping this one will be different.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Carson Palmer.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I can see a lot of things happening, iH8, but that's not one of them.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 1, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

repost

Interesting read for the night crew. The guy that wrote the post is a bit of a dick but still a good read.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 1, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Carson Palmer.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I can see a lot of things happening, iH8, but that's not one of them.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 1, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

That's why it's so off the wall.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 7:49 PM | Report abuse

repost

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 1, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

repost cosign. I don't know if you saw my first cosign, diesel, it was late on a previous thread.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 1, 2011 7:52 PM | Report abuse

But Fredie, who saw McNabb coming?

I do hope for a more fiscally responsible team in 2011.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Barnes is nNOT 6'1""..He can't be...If he is, than , yeah, we got our leapin' high Free Safety to pick off passes to tight ends and long cruiser-class wide receivers..

Posted by: frak | February 1, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Please, no Carson Palmer, Alex Smith or any of them other bums that have proven ineffective in this league. This argument of just getting some old guys in to teach the younger guys is ridiculous. Why act surprised when the old bum turns the new guy how to become a bum?

Posted by: noluvdr | February 1, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Re: Free Safety

No reason why Barnes shouldn't have a chance to lose the FS spot.

So long as we're talking DBs, if we can trade down out of #10 and get some more picks in the 1st or 2nd round, a DB worth going after is Ras I-Dowling from UVA.

He's 6'2 200lbs with legit covering skills and (don't look now) hands. He'd be the perfect bigger physical corner to fill Carlos Rogers' role on the defense and has the ability to be a CB/FS hybrid like Malcolm Jenkins.

He'd have gone 1st round last season, but decided to come back for his senior year. He's gone under the radar and slipped to the 2nd round this year b/c he struggled with injuries.

Re: Carson Palmer

Bengals owner said he won't trade him. And when they say that they mean it.

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I never said I wanted Carson Palmer because his skills seem to be diminishing.

I'm actually cool with Grossman being the day one starter.

Who else is on the roster will be an interesting adventure.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I like Barnes. Also the interception of Garrard in OT was clutch.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

We can all agree on this: Rabach must go.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 8:13 PM | Report abuse

"We can all agree on this: Rabach must go.

Posted by: iH8dallas"

No doubt...Take away those three sacks he made on McNabb against the Lions and Donovan doesn't get benched..

Posted by: frak | February 1, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

We can all agree on this: Rabach must go.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 8:13 PM

The problem with our interior OL is that it consists of 3 Centers (Monty, Kory, Rabach)

Agree tho that Rabach is the weak link and couldn't block me.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 1, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MimiAnsari | February 1, 2011 8:39 PM | Report abuse

We can all agree on this: Rabach must go.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 1, 2011 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah blowback needs to go

Posted by: skinswillwin | February 1, 2011 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Agree tho that Rabach is the weak link and couldn't block me.

Posted by: Diesel44 |
February 1, 2011 8:36 PM |

Yea, the worst of the three is the one actually playing center.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 1, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

D'Qwell Jackson - ILB

Just read that he is going to be a free agent, and if we are interested in locking down our ILB spot, then this is the guy we go after.

I'm not just saying that b/c he's a Terp, but b/c he's a beast.

He already knows the 3-4 ILB position from CLeveland. His season got cut short in 2009 b/c of a pectoral injury. He ended up getting IRed in 2010 b/c the team didn't think his muscle was fully healed yet.

But in 2008, he had 154 tackles, 2 sacks and several Ints.

Since he's been out of football for a year and a half, he'll likely go under the radar in FA and won;t draw the attention (and money) that other LBs will.

He'll be 28 when the season begins, and if his injury is healed, he still has several prime playing years ahead of him.

He could be the perfect guy to solidify the ILB rotation as we work Perry Riley into the mix and (eventually) work London Fletcher out.

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2011 8:58 PM | Report abuse

100% in Agreement of getting rabach the F outta here

need new starters next year for C, QB, DT, OLB, DE, G or 2, WR

rabach absolutely cannot start the year as our starting center next year

Posted by: retroskins14 | February 1, 2011 9:06 PM | Report abuse

o yea FS too, even though i had high hopes for moore

Posted by: retroskins14 | February 1, 2011 9:08 PM | Report abuse

need new starters next year for C, QB, DT, OLB, DE, G or 2, WR

rabach absolutely cannot start the year as our starting center next year

Posted by: retroskins14 | February 1, 2011 9:06 PM | Report abuse

You forgot CB, ILB (Rogers and Rocky will walk).

And FS is borderline.

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

You forgot CB, ILB (Rogers and Rocky will walk).

Posted by: p1funk | February 1, 2011 9:11 PM |

I think Rocky will be allowed to walk. I think the Redskins are the only team that really knows Carlos's value so he'll get the best offer here. other teams will look at the hands thing too much to value him very highly.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 1, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | February 1, 2011 6:43 PM

I am a bit surprised Shanny gave up so quickly on McNabb, but it is what it is.

I'm not a fan of McNabb because I still consider him an Eagle, but he was openly humiliated during the season; after the season, Shanahan said McNabb can stick around as a backup.

It's not impossible, but I think Shanahan will give McNabb the same opportunity to start in 2011 he gave Jason Campbell to start in 2010. His mind is made up.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 1, 2011 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Pfunk, agreed about D'Qwell Jackson. When Mangini got there and finished his evaluations, he said only two guys had secure roster spots, Jackson and Joe Thomas. Jackson has paid off huge ... Abdul Hodge, not so much.

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2011 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Alan4

Plenty of teams thirsty for a decent quarterback of McNabb's class (Bills, Titans, Cardinals, etc.)..Still don't think he got a fair shake if they move him, but hey, everything's in flux, everything transforms, nobody is above a trade on a losing team, ask Mubarak...

GothSkin Song Of The Day, "Primitive" by Killing Joke...

Posted by: frak | February 1, 2011 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Ok, get this...what we need to do is work out a deal with the Vikings. We trade them Haynesworth for Rice. They get a great, low cost DT for their 4-3 defense to replace Pat Williams, who just came off elbow surgery and reportedly may not return to the team despite declaring last November he wanted to come back. The Vikes just picked up a superstar CFL WR and may just think about this deal. Having Rice would SO shore up our WR corps. Of course, resign Moss and continue to revel in finding unknowns Armstrong and Banks. Remaining contest would be between tiny Austin, who has shown promise, and lanky Malcolm Kelly, who looks good on paper and maybe a hospital gown, but has barely laced up as a pro.
     Keep McNabb as starter and Perplexy Rexy as bridesmaid for at least one more season. Consider the last 3 games of this last season as a test for Grossman to see if he was worthy of keeping as a backup. They took McNabb out early because they knew they weren't going to the playoffs, they didn't want to risk injuring McDaddy for no purpose, and by keeping him out, they only sacrificed a fourth instead of a third round pick to their rival, Philadelphia. McNabb's numbers weren't good, despite the >3,300 yards. He produced a 58% completion rate, 12 yards per completion, and a 14/15 TD/INT ratio. Not good numbers for a former Pro Bowler and potential HOFer. I predict that, if he stays, he'll have a year of learning the system under his belt and a better team to protect him so he's not constantly getting sacked, hit, forced to go to his first target, or rushed into an intercept-able passing situation. Keep in mind that he'd been so good in a consistent system for many years. Being in a new system isn't easy for most. Give him a break and see if his sophomore campaign will show big improvements. He's a leader and has been in multiple Pro Bowls for a reason. The odds of him having 2 bad seasons in a row in the same system are slim.
     Ride the wave with Torrain, Portis, and Keiland. Go with young Darrell Young at FB and cut Sellers, who seems to have lost a step and isn't the QB or RB blocker we need anymore.
     No need to touch the TE lineup. They got a smiley face sticker.
     Resign Jammal Brown. Pick up RFA Deuce Lutui from the Cardinals to team up on the right side with Brown. Then work it to pick up RFA Ryan Kalil from the Panthers since he won't be franchised. Despite the concerns of him not going against elite beef eaters, he would be a vast improvement at center and would solidify a solid, young O-line.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 1, 2011 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99

SOMMMMMMMMMEBUDDDDDDDY....WAAAAANTSSS>>>>>>SSSSSSSSSELLLLLLLLLAAAAAAARRRRRRSSSSSSSSS>>>>>

Posted by: frak | February 1, 2011 11:13 PM | Report abuse

On defense, we should pick up RFA DE Marcus Spears from Dallas and start him at RDE. Not a top pass rusher, which is a need, but I'll get to that. Spears is young, healthy now after being on IR the last 8 games of last year, good at taking on double teams on run plays to allow LBs to break through the line, and has been in the 3-4 for years now. Plus, he can't be fond of not being a fan favorite in Dallas and might like going to the rival team!
     Carriker did well at DE, so keep him starting at LDE, but it's time to part ways with Daniels and Holliday who have had long, commendable careers. Keep Gholston and Jarmon, who may still turn into a headliner.
     Clearly, Nose Tackle must be addressed. No way Ngata's going to be available and anybody else in FA status isn't really an upgrade for us. The question is: Do we rely on Bryant and Kemoeatu in rotation this year? Maake has another year removed from being on IR and another offseason to prepare and may surprise everyone. Otherwise, we need to look at the draft. Best second round option would be Phil Taylor from Baylor. He's really big and bulky and has a good push. Also, he's from Clinton, MD...a hometown boy. Not going NT 2nd round? No NTs drafted lower will contribute much, if anything, this season, so count on the Antonio/Maake NT rotation.
     What we need is to couple a dynamic OLB with Orakbo to create a formidable pass rushing threat. I say we use our first round pick on Von Miller (Texas A&M). He's great at getting sacks and defending the pass. Orakbo and he would be frightening for OCs to game plan against. Trade McIntosh for a much needed 3rd round pick and get Riley up-to-speed as Fletcher's inside bookend. Use the 3rd round pick for an ILB pick (or FS, CB, or DE).

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 1, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Landry will be back in full force this year. We need a good FS, though. There's not a lot of quality options in FA that will be available to pick up...maybe Dawan Landry from Baltimore? That would at least be fun for the headlines. We need to use a later round pick to find a young man to groom unless we want to use our 2nd round pick on FS Rahim Moore from UCLA instead of going NT or using the 3rd pick on him if he slips that far. If not Moore in the 2nd/3rd, go with Blake Gideon from Texas in the 4th round (gotten by trading our 2 5th round picks).
     It would be nice to have UFA Nnamdi Asomugha from Oakland or even UFA Bailey back in Burgundy & Gold and with his old coach, but both would be too expensive to be able to do all the things suggested above. Our best bet is to stick with Hall (duh) as a starter and Buchanan as a good nickel CB. Do we keep Rogers and just deal with his dropitis to have his reliable cover skills or do we find someone in free agency? There are no real upgrades that are Unrestricted status (other than Asomugha and Bailey) and the decent Restricted free agents will most likely sign with their teams again or break our bank. Best bet is stick with Rogers. We know what his pluses and minuses are and how he fits in with the team and that's an intangible plus making him worth keeping. Antonio Cromartie could be a better player and not too expensive, but his attitude and hostility haven't been welcome on two teams so...pass. We don't need that anymore.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 1, 2011 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Draft
1st - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
2nd - Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
3rd (from McIntosh trade) - Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA
4th - None
5th (1st pick) - ILB
5th (2nd pick [compensetory]) - DE or CB
6th - Best Available
7th (1st pick) - Best Available
7th - (2nd pick [compensetory]) - Best Available

FA Acquisitions
WR - Simeon Rice (trade for Haynesworth) from Minnesota
WR - Santana Moss (resigned)
OT - Jammal Brown (resigned)
OG - Deuce Lutui from Arizona
C - Ryan Kalil from Carolina
DE - Marcus Spears from Dallas
FS - Dawan Landry from Baltimore
FS - Reed Doughty (resigned)
CB - Carlos Rogers (resigned)

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 1, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Everson Griffen arrested twice in three days; gets the taser - Shutdown Corner - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
On Friday night, Everson Griffen was arrested for being drunk in public, and then was released on Saturday morning. Then, on Monday afternoon, he was arrested again after police pulled him over and found an invalid drivers license, and Griffen tried to flee on foot. That's when crotch-grabbing and tasers came in to play.

Another Florida State Criminole..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 1, 2011 11:59 PM | Report abuse

DCAZZ

You're obviously thinking and studying in putting together your player scenarios. That' a good thing and easily promotes you to the top 50% of RI bloggers.

However, I don't think your first three in the draft scenario will work. Miller will be gone before #10, Taylor might be around for the second but, seriously, who in their right mind would give up a #3 for McIntosh (other than Vinny, of course)? Otherwise - good job.

Posted by: bones21 | February 2, 2011 12:15 AM | Report abuse

DCAZZZZZZ, HAHAHAAAAHHAAAJHAAA,STILLLKAUGHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Posted by: frak | February 2, 2011 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bones21 | February 2, 2011 12:15 AM |

especially since he's a FA.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 2, 2011 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Ok RI be nice to DC2AZ99. The kid put a lot of work into his post.

Now let's all fart rainbows and hop on our unicorns on our way to work tomorrow..

I kid, I kid DC2AZ99.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 2, 2011 1:06 AM | Report abuse

especially since he's a FA.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 2, 2011 12:58 AM

Yeah, forgot. He'll probably be gone anyway.

Posted by: bones21 | February 2, 2011 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Diesel...I've been on RI for a long time, but thanks for the 'kid' comment. My 40-year old rear appreciates the younging down. I, too, am an 80s throwback die hard fan and just want us get back to the days of dominance.

Anyway...that was the 2nd rainbow/unicorn response you gave me in the last 3 days. Care to pick apart what is so laughable and outrageous? I'm interested in your (and others') feedback.

We have the cap room to accomplish what I suggested (or I wouldn't have suggested it) and each one of the acquisition ideas I threw out there are all feasible and based off well documented information.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 2, 2011 1:27 AM | Report abuse

especially since he's a FA.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 2, 2011 12:58 AM

He's an RFA...we do what other teams do...sign and deal. Plenty of precedent in the league. MacIntosh has an injury-free history and did fairly well in the 4-3 D. There are 17 teams in the league that still go with the 4-3 and would see Mac as the young, experienced, and healthy player he is. Plus, with a U of Miami pedigree, he'll get attention.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 2, 2011 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Interesting...I just found this on http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/lb.html about McIntosh, "If he becomes a restricted free agent (depending on the CBA), the Redskins could tender him and see what comes of what."

He is a RFA, according to http://www.nfltraderumors.co/2011/01/top-50-nfl-free-agents/, and until a new CBA overturns the current requirement of being a 6 year or more veteran to be an unrestricted free agent (RM has 5 yrs in), we may have some draft pick compensation from someone (like Atlanta) that may want him due to his proven versatility.

It all depends on what we tender him with. That's the real back office gamble...tender too high and it becomes too cost prohibitive (pick-wise) for other teams and they back out and you're "stuck" with someone you were ok with letting go at a price you may not want to have paid. Tender too low and your return on investment (a lower round pick or nothing at all) hurts your team all the way around.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 2, 2011 2:35 AM | Report abuse

huge win for the owners. They get major cash from the networks even if there are no games to broadcast. Gotta wonder what genius drew up THAT contract ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 2, 2011 4:28 AM | Report abuse

"Donovan McNabb says he's "definitely a Redskin"--for now"

Sounds like a whole lotta nothin' to me.

Of course he is...dude made the egregious error of re-signing here when he could have had his unconditional freedom at the end of the year. Now's he stuck here until Shanahan gets what he wants for him.

In a somewhat related note, I did get a chance to see him on ESPN yesterday...dude definitely has a future in broadcasting. If the likes of Emmitt Smiff, Michael Irvin, and Herm Edwards can litter their air, they could certainly give Donovan a job. With his playing days now winding to a close, perhaps it's time he start giving that some thought...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 2, 2011 5:01 AM | Report abuse

DC2AZ99,

You must've been REALLY sleepy when you posted that train wreck of a post at 11:39...for those of us that think before we type, here's some info you might not be aware of:

-Rocky Mac ain't going for a 3rd round pick in this lifetime. I mean, Randy f-ing Moss went for a 3rd this year. Rocky ain't within shouting distance of Moss talent-wise, so unless you're throwing AH and McNabb into the deal with him you won't see anyone give up a 3rd for Rocky Mac.

-You might as well have put "best available" for all our picks because I seriously doubt Phil Taylor is on the board when we pick in Round 2. If he has a good combine, I'd bet he doesn't get past the Chiefs in Round 1.

-Simeon Rice has been retired for a few years now. I'm pretty sure you mean Sidney Rice as a FA pickup. Either way, I vote 'no'.

-Dawan Landry is a SS, not a FS. If you play him at FS, he'll have more in common with his brother than just a last name.

-You and others up here have to stop pining for Ryan Kalil...dude is small for an O-lineman and he'll get blown up by NTs just as much as Rabach. We're better off getting a bigger center and/or drafting a guy to man that spot. The most likely scenario is moving Lichtensteiger to center (his natural position) or living with Rabach for another year.

Now, if you'll excuse me I've gotta get a saddle ready for my unicorn so I can get to the land of rainbows and lollipops...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 2, 2011 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Love that last sentence. Sounds like progress and desire to help the Redskins.

I'm sure the money is the reason behind it.

"...focus on being a better quarterback..."

If that is not an admission he sucked, he's got problems.

Posted by: RedCherokee | February 2, 2011 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Offensive Linemen!
PERIOD!

Posted by: shamken | February 2, 2011 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, the Post is unable to find another incompetent oaf to replace Jason Reid on the Redskins beat and RI continues to ramp up its Suckativity Quotient. Follow the leader, follow...

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | February 2, 2011 7:37 AM | Report abuse

especially since he's a FA.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 2, 2011 12:58 AM

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 2, 2011 1:33 AM | Report abuse

I know you put in allot of effort on your recent posts and that you are very optimistic. Which is good considering some of the other bloggers. So thanks for sharing.

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | February 2, 2011 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 2, 2011 5:38 AM

LOL

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 2, 2011 8:34 AM | Report abuse

what else can he say?

At this point in time he is still a Redskin.

no news, is no news.

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 1, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, this is a "Clear Sky Still Blue" sort of headline. Technically, he's a Skin.

I wonder why Donovan doesn't have more edge. It's good that he's doing The Right Thing, but a little humor or displeasure would only make him more human.

Posted by: WorstSeat | February 2, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

In the Redskins' history, rookie quarterbacks have been disappointments. The best came in through trades. McNabb is still a good quarterback, and the way he trains he will be for some years to come--as long as he doesn't get injured. The way to keep him from getting injured is to keep him from getting sacked. The team's urgent need is a strong starting offensive line that can stay healthy long enough to develop into a unit as the Hogs did.

Posted by: jlhare1 | February 2, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is being a class act and keeping the doors open in public at least. Hard to tell what is going on behind the scenes. I don't see the Skins bringing in another QB unless they draft one but don't see that happening at #10. Grossman's contract expired and he is about to be a Free Agent so the Skins intentions will be shown shortly. Beck is around till 2013.

Players that would need new contracts or will be gone.

Player Age
Carlos Rogers 29
Chris Wilson 28
Josh Bidwell 34
Kedric Golston 27
Reed Doughty 27
Rex Grossman 30
Rocky McIntosh 27
Santana Moss 31
Stephon Heyer 26

Posted by: skins50 | February 2, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Players that would need new contracts or will be gone.

Player Age
Carlos Rogers 29
Chris Wilson 28
Josh Bidwell 34
Kedric Golston 27
Reed Doughty 27
Rex Grossman 30
Rocky McIntosh 27
Santana Moss 31
Stephon Heyer 26

Posted by: skins50 | February 2, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Draft
1st – Robert Quinn, DE, Texas A&M (or Von Miller or Dareus if they drop)
2nd – Jake Locker, QB, Washington (or Phil Taylor)
3rd None (may have more picks here but not by trading McIntosh if CBA is not done by draft. If we have more picks look at CBs… Ras I-Dowling?) or at G/Cs.
4th – None
5th (1st pick) – CB
5th (2nd pick [compensetory]) - LB
6th - Best Available
7th (1st pick) - Best Available
7th - (2nd pick [compensetory]) - Best Available
FA Acquisitions
WR - Sidney Rice from Minnesota
WR - Santana Moss (resigned)
OT - Jammal Brown (resigned)
OG - Deuce Lutui from Arizona
C - Ryan Kalil from Carolina (best case scenario) maybe just move in Will Mont – but Rabach must go. Rabach is to Center as Randel-El was to punt returner for Skins.
FS - Reed Doughty (resigned)
CB - Carlos Rogers (resigned)
Kevin Barnes is new FS if we pick up picks at CB.

Cut:
Daniels
Rabach
Portis
Dock
Carter
(maybe, maybe you can get a 7th rounder in 2012 for Dock or Carter)

Posted by: MonkMossMann | February 2, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

PS: DC2AZ99 you are the King!

Posted by: MonkMossMann | February 2, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Listening to Donovan McNabb makes me nauseous.

This guy plays a game where he is a 'see no evil' personality in public but behind the scenes has his agent lobbing bombs at the organization.

True the Redskins can't carry him next year at $16M, but they CAN hold off and threaten not to release him or trade him until July or August, which would make his 2011 season (assuming there is one) almost a wash in moving to a new system he would have to learn.

The Redskins ended up with two selfish veterans in McNabb and Haynesworth and now have to deal with the consequences.

Notice that Pittsburgh and Green Bay don't have to deal with these kinds of players who don't produce on the field but expect to be treated as if they are champions.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | February 2, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 2, 2011 1:33 AM | Report abuse

As I understand it, he would be an RFA under a continuation of last years rules, the final year of the CBA. If I remember correctly that required 6-years to qualify as a free-agent.

However, that wont continue, the CBA has finished and there are essentially no rules for a new season, even for when it starts. Until a CBA is signed or the league imposes it's last offer, after declaring an impasse, there is no season.

It seems unlikely that any deal imposed by the league would include a greater number than the 4-qualifying-years required by the previous CBA. To do so would almost certainly invite anti-trust investigations as it would be placing even greater restrictions on employee movement.

It seems a virtual certainty that Rocky will be a free-agent. The only way he is a restricted will be if the union decided swap an extension of the RFA period for a greater share in the league's revenues and that seems unlikely considering the owners are unhappy about the size of the current share.

Even if he did remain an RFA, I cannot see anyanyone trading anything more than a fifth, if that, for him. Low round draft picks are obsurdly over-valued and McIntosh is a very average player with over average salary expectations.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | February 2, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

1st round #10 - Von Miller LB Texas A&M
2nd round #9 - Phil Taylor DT Baylor

Posted by: hall_j | February 2, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

1st round #10 - Von Miller LB Texas A&M
2nd round #9 - Phil Taylor DT Baylor

Posted by: hall_j | February 2, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'd be happy with that, as long as we find starting calibre OGs and a centre through free agency.

Barring a poor combine performance, Miller will be almost certainly be gone. Even if his size is considered a problem, I am betting his 40-time will push his stock way up. He looks incredibly fast in pads and I think he'll turn in one of the fastest times seen from an LB in years.

Phil Taylor's stock also seems to be rising. A lot of people think he will be gone before we pick in the second.

Thing will probably have changed completely by April but we might only be able to get him by trading down in the first.

Still, the general plan, pass rushing LB to bookend Orakpo and a quality NT would be a good way to spend our first and second. I wouldn't mind a QB or Guard with the 2nd. The first round rated QBs all seem boom or bust with the greater liklihood of the latter.

In the unlikely event that one of the top two corners are around at 10, I'd be happy with one of them in the first. However, LB and 4-3 d-line seems to hold the greatest depth of talent in the top half of round one, so I think we should try to fill our hole at OLB in the first.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | February 2, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I say keep Donovan, get a dang on OL, let Haynes roll the hell out. Rex he can go back and be 2nd string cuz he didn't do nuffin, need a kicker. As I said before if we don't have an OL doesn't matter what QB we get it's not gonna work. Oh and Shanny's son has to roll out.

Posted by: yvettelisa80 | February 2, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Someone please get the word to Donovan that "WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE MAN!".

After watching the QBs in the playoffs, we can see that Donovan isn't even as good as Sanchez. The only one he may compare with is Jay Cutler. Go find a home in Minnesota or St. Louis, we'll take our chances on someone new.

Posted by: keedrow | February 2, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone having trouble accessing the The Cranky Redskins Fan's Guide to Dan Snyder should try this alternate link: http://bit.ly/fvQfY6

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | February 2, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

What about FB? We all know sellers isn't getting younger....
LeRon McLain is an option. He was upset the ravens didn't utilize him like they used to, and skins seem to use FB a good amount in they're offense. He's a hell of a FB..

Posted by: SteveOman | February 2, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

What about FB? We all know sellers isn't getting younger....

Posted by: SteveOman | February 2, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't have time to quote everyone here, forgive me...

Don't we have a third round pick? Up from fourth from the Eagles for McNabb? Pretty sure. And anyone that thought benching McNabb late in a lost season made no sense, I think that's your answer. We get a third round pick... Not bad for sitting a vet for three games and letting Rex stretch his legs.

I don't want any emotion from our HC. Bellicheck wouldn't admit to the media his sweatshirt was grey. For Shanny or any of his assistants to say basically anything would be detrimental to our team. The draft and FA are often made or broke on misinformation. One team tips the hat they are interested in a guy and the next thing you know some third rounder is picked 9th. Let them play that game, we'll watch.

I have been saying for weeks that McNabb is on the roster the morning of opening day, Fat Albert too. My unicorn says if we can motivate them to play then we want them on our team.

It will be VERY interesting to see what happens in March. The owners have already won this battle if you are watching closely- they get paid regardless. So if the players can't get a deal done then I think they asked for too much.

No offense to those who do the reporting, but with a staff more tight lipped than a virgin on prom night- what news are they reporting? What inside(r) do we have? Anyone who spilled anything newsworthy would be fired anyway...

Posted by: fireballhank | February 3, 2011 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I like Brian Orakpo a lot, I think he's talented and has a bright future, but for him to go on the Jim Rome show and claim that Mcnabb was a great qb says a lot about how he feels about winning, he made the pro bowl, an individual achievment, but it does not seem like being on a loosing team bothers him that much, maybe he figures he got many more years to get to the playoff or even the big game.

Posted by: zimife1999 | February 3, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but I am hearing from Chicago insiders that McNabb will be traded to Chicago for Cutler. Shannahan drafted Cutler and he clearly does not have much support in Chi-town and with McNabb from chicago (and always wanting to play there) this deal seems more logical than most would want. I hope I am wrong, but.............

Posted by: skins10 | February 3, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Don't we have a third round pick?

Posted by: fireballhank | February 3, 2011 9:38 AM | Report abuse

No, the Saints received our 3rd round pick in the trade for Jammal Brown, who will be a free agent.

We traded our third and fourth, to the Eagles and Saints. What was determined by the terms of the McNabb trade was which team would receive which pick. McNabb's play didn't trigger the escalator, so the Eagles got our fourth. The Saints trade gave them the pick which the Eagles didn't get, so they take our third.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | February 3, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and Bill Clinton still thinks he honest!

Posted by: burro2 | February 3, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skins10
____
Hate to hear it??? It would be a the steal of a lifetime!!! Culter got the Bears to the NFC Conf Championship game.. if they are dopey enough to get rid of him because he got hurt in that game the better for us. Problem is there is no way Chicago is that dumb to trade Culter for a 34 yr old QB coming off his worse season.. especially when when in all likely hood McNabb will be cut anyway...

Posted by: sovine08 | February 4, 2011 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skins10
____

Posted by: sovine08 | February 4, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fireballhank
____
If McNabb plays one down this year it will cost the Redkins I heard around $16 million.. do u have any idea how many quality free agents the Skins can sign with that money??? We could get a good OL man, good DL man and probably a good DB!!! It was dumb getting McNabb in the first place.. keeping him only compounds the error. And AH?? he doesn't want to be back and Shanahan doesn't want him back.. These two guys will be gone and all I can say is good riddence...

Posted by: sovine08 | February 4, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

What did we expect him to say? "I want to get the hell up outta this debacle"?! Donovan doesn't sound too excited about being a 'Skin either, so trade or cut the man! Move on!

Posted by: Neisha_H | February 4, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, this was a very political answer from Donovan. He might as well have just said "no comment." That being said, I think we should give him another shot. Almost every imperative role in the organization, players and personnel, was replaced last year. Let everyone get in a groove before we start calling it quits with anyone. A proven All-Pro is better in the short term than throwing a drafted rookie in there.

Posted by: bmac301 | February 7, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse