Eagles know Donovan McNabb. And vice versa.

Donovan McNabb had 11 years to learn the ins and outs of Andy Reid's offense. And the Eagles had 11 years to learn every one of McNabb's tendencies, strengths and weakness. With so much familiarity, who has the advantage Sunday?

Players and coaches on both sides seem to think the first-hand knowledge might balance out by the time the teams take the field Sunday. In fact, Eagles' coach Andy Reid said the whole thing is "overblown."

"If he was playing middle linebacker, I'd worry about that just a little bit," Reid said of McNabb. "But things happen so quick out there. And you've got so many plays in the playbook. You can't feasibly go over everything. Mike Shanahan was in this system, so he knows how it works. It's a matter of the players on the defensive side playing."

Seeing the same group every day in practice doesn't necessarily mean you have a major advantage when you see them in a game a year later, players say. McNabb is obviously running a different system.

And the Eagles have seen a lot of change on the defensive side of the ball since McNabb left town. "We all know each other on a personal level," McNabb said. "We know
each other by the way we play or how they may call a game. But things happen differently. They're obviously going to try to attack me a lot differently than they've done with some other quarterbacks. I expect that. But they have some tendencies that I've seen, and they know that."

Jim Johnson was the Eagles' defensive coordinator for almost all of McNabb's time in Philadelphia. Sean McDermott took over the Eagles' coordinator prior to the 2009 season, shortly before Johnson died of cancer. It's still a blitz-heavy scheme, though McNabb might not recognize some of the faces.

Philadelphia's starting defense last Sunday featured five players who didn't start the team's season opener in 2009.

"I think this defense is completely different than the one he's seen over the years," said Eagles safety Quintin Mikell. "We have a whole complete different personnel, a lot of new guys, lot of new faces, lot of new tendencies and a lot of new schemes. So although he knows some of the stuff we do, we have a lot of different stuff that we do now."

"At the end of the day, it's still football. ...Once you put the pads on, all that stuff goes out the window," Mikell said.

By Rick Maese  | September 29, 2010; 2:57 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Andy Reid: Letting McNabb go 'was a tough decision on my part'
Next: Trent Williams practices, DeAngelo Hall doesn't

Comments

When exactly did this go from Haynesworth Insider to McNabb Insider? I had no idea that McNabb knew Reid...and Reid knew McNabb...and McNabb knew Vick. Who knew?

Posted by: PlayAction | September 29, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Just hope he stays on the straight path and gives a reason for the haters to keep on hating their f-ing guts out.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 3:00 PM

Red - if the killing of innocent animals isn't valid reason enough for someone to be "hating", I'm not quite sure what is.

I certainly don't think he should have been put to death or something ridiculous, I don't mind him back in the league, but I certainly wouldn't hold a grudge to someone who didn't like him for what he did.

"KISS MY A$$!! I'M THE BIGGEST HATA!!!"

That of course was Beautiful talkin... on the weekend Beautiful does stunts for Little Richard in g@y movies.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Andy Reid: Letting McNabb go 'was a tough decision on my part'

I'm betting this 'decision' wasn't Andy's. Jeffrie Laury made the decision easy for him, "The Redskins are giving us 2 draft picks for a guy we think is too old, so we are trading him", then Andy said "yes sir!". That's about how it went.

Now truth be told, if it were 'Andy's decision', he would have ridden McNabb into the ground like a racehorse, Reid was very loyal to McNabb. I bet he felt helpless by having to let McNabb go and he couldn't do anything about it!

Posted by: monk811 | September 29, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Repost from the beepage:

Brandon Banks said "Who doesn't admire Michael Vick?"

Um... me. The dude had everything and screwed up big time. He has made a comeback and I am happy for him. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes, I don't know, but he definitely paid his dues to society. But let's not make this out to be some hard luck story. Dude was making millions, was an obvious spoiled moron with it, and had to file bankruptcy. He's lucky he had so much natural born ability or dude would be living out of a dumpster cuz he's obviously an idiot.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 3:11 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

So should we pass up on the 4th round pick that Tenn has reportedly offered and just ask for a 5th?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

No, not at all. When this stupid argument started, I typed '4th or 5th rounder' but of course Stupid27 wanted to harp on the 5th round pick. Is that more value for you?

Posted by: monk811 | September 29, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Is JR sick?

a. Eagles know Donovan McNabb. And vice versa.

b. Andy Reid: Letting McNabb go 'was a tough decision on my part'

c. Michael Vick never stopped working, Donovan McNabb says

d. Donovan McNabb considers "11 great years" in Philly

e. Statistical analysis: Redskins' defensive woes

There's not an Albert Haynesworth thread in the bunch.

I hope dude isn't sick.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 29, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 3:14 PM

I would imagine it gets pretty hot in that glass house you're living in Cali.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 29, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

So Brandon Banks is back on the practice squad? Didn't see that announced anywhere...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 29, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 29, 2010 3:16 PM |

Gotcha

and beep...beep...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

monk

"Point is by now I WOULD settle for a 5th, but I would have already pulled the trigger on a 4th round pick."

I think it never happened when it should've as J Haslett had M Shanahan sold on the notion that the 3-4 needed AH playing nose tackle to work.

And it doesn't as he hasn't.

If the season keeps trending the way its going, I'd take 'whateva' over nothing, and send FAT AL back to the land of Jack Daniels.

We need picks.

Bad.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 29, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"the people who wanted him [Micheal Vick] put to death, need to read the grisly details of the breaking and entering, rape and murder thats on trial right now down in CT...people like that, that vile inhuman fecal matter needs to be put to death...and with a blow torch, and a pliers, but thats for another day...

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Now beans, can you please explain this to Ryp11?

Seriously, Ryp. I said that he was wrong for doing what he did... I owned a few dogs back in the day, even remember crying when my first dog died when I was 8... Although I'm not a "dog lover" (I wouldn't do things like buy my dog very expensive dog food, pay for an outrageous vet bill, and most of all kiss a dog in the mouth) I do appreciate them.

But with all that said, I'll never equate a human life to that of a dog, sorry.

People have done some sick, vile, and disgusting acts -- acts that dwarf what Vick did, and guess what? The public has forgiven them and everyone has moved on from it. For the most part people have with Vick, but there will be the small faction of idiots that will always label him as a "thug" or a "dog killer", and/or suggest that he be "killed and tortured in the same manner he did those dogs".

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse