For McNabb, trip to Philly is just business

During his first news conference after joining Washington, quarterback Donovan McNabb said there would be nothing special about his first game in Philadelphia as a Redskins player.

Of course, McNabb, a savvy veteran, is not one to reveal much to the media about anything. But he played for the Eagles for 11 seasons before they sent him to the Redskins on Easter, and McNabb returns to Lincoln Financial Field in Week 4.

After losing to the St. Louis Rams, 30-16, on Sunday, McNabb maintained it would be business as usual for him at Philadelphia.

"I've always said this is just a normal game," McNabb said of facing his former team. "And in this situation for us, obviously, it's a must win.

"Coming off of two losses like we've had these past two weeks, no matter who we're playing, we have to come out and be able to execute and come out and win by any means necessary."

Are the Redskins using Clinton Portis correctly? See what everyone thinks in the Tailgate Zone.

By Jason Reid  | September 27, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth returns to action, plays 'all right'
Next: Redskins still optimistic about putting it together

Comments

If we lose by less than 30 points...I'll consider it a win in my book.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to getting slaughtered on Sunday so we can truly end all hope for the season and start looking forward to the draft and 2011!

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Rome wasn't built in a day. They were 4-12 last year for chrissake. Shanahan and Allen have done a ton so far but more is needed. I've heard that next years FA class is going to be one of the best ever so who knows.

Posted by: patljr7 | September 27, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

What a beat down, probably will get another horrible beat down from Philly. This defense is garbage, Hasless needs to go back to 4-3 otherwise we are doomed. Expect another serious beat down from Vick.

Posted by: abxinc | September 27, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

the person that posted that is so right

Posted by: patljr7 | September 27, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Bigger game is playing the Vikings to prove to them what a great successor he would be to Bret Favre.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I might have to refine my hope for an 8-8 campaign this year.

But hey, I'm still positive that we have football people making football decisions. This is going to be a rough year.

The only thing I question is the trading of picks, but looking at how bad Soup has played in Oak, I can see why they traded for McNabb. I just hope to see improvement with every game and improved talent each year.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: patljr7 | September 27, 2010 11:12 AM

It's certainly going to include a lot guys from our roster.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

McNabb's full of it. But what is going to say - that he's been losing sleep over this game?

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

It seems all set up for a rout...but who knows?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The thought of a "must win" game for this team is just laughable.

The next 4 games are going to be absolute murder for us: @Philly, vs Packers, vs Colts, @ Chicago.

1-6 here we come!

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | September 27, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I had to work all weekend and didn't get to watch the game...only follow on gamecast and the pitiful end of the game on radio but I am going to refrain from commentary.

But trends over three games are troubling:

1. Inability to score TDS in redzone

2. The mismatching of talent to scheme on defense

3. Sloppy mental breakdowns on special teams...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 27, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

For once I am happy that I am gonna miss a skins game due to family obligations. Hopefully I don't even hear a score from that game. But I will be in South Jersey so I probably will... repeatedly.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 27, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

1-6 here we come!

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | September 27, 2010 11:24 AM

I'm starting to get excited about those QB's at the top of next year's draft.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

This team needs to man up. When the going gets tough this group has shown they they get going. I'm sick and tired of watching this group find a way to lose a football game. Thank god October 8th is only 11 days away (Caps opener). They may have struggled in the postseason last year but at least that group all seem to have a pair.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | September 27, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Get off the ledge people...this is the Redskins' trend: they crap the bed against a bad team, then rise up and look like world beaters against the good teams (or at least look good in a losing effort). As bad as the Redskins have been in recent years, it's rare that they take a total beatdown.

I generally don't pick games until the end of the week, but I'd be shocked if we don't at least make it a close game...if not win it altogether.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

stop accepting losses with veterans if they can't win release them mcnabb is better than j. campbell but this team is still bad I can lose with young players because there is a chance they will get better washington could have kept the meager draft picks they had (for mcnabb) kept campbell & grossman if that does not work(probably would not have)draft qb in 1st round 2011 and play the YOUNG players along with the best of veterans you will lose any way but at least you will build up a real team. If the decline continues mcnabb may leave at the end of the season he is not interested in losing 10-12 gms and the 2 picks to eagles are GONE. these coaches will not play d.thomas, austin, the young FB from villanova, jarmon,barnes, jackson while still getting kicked in the azz playing galloway, r. williams, rabach, v. holiday, buchanon,keomoatu, doughty etc.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 27, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

In three games, the new Redskins defense has allowed 380 yards, 526 yards, and 365 yards.

yikes....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

yikes....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 11:32 AM

Well, the good news is that we're trending down! Glass isn't 7/8's empty. It's 1/8 full.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Another reason switching from 3-4 to 4-3 would be a mistake at this point is Albert Haynesworth. That switch, made mid-season, would give H-worth massive locker room credibility and make the leadership look like they were absolutely clueless after their high-profile offseason squabble about the 3-4 defense.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 11:18 AM

I would really be disheartened if that would go into their thinking. I mean, if the team is still dead last in defense at week 8 and it's obvious they don't have the players for, or the players aren't adjusting well to the 3-4 don't you think the prudent thing would be to run some of the stuff your players are good at? Square peg(s) round hole(s)? Haven't gone through that the last few years (LL at FS)? I think players may loose direction if they see the leadership putting scheme ahead of winning.

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 11:32 AM

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

chrislarry:

But trends over three games are troubling:

1. Inability to score TDS in redzone

2. The mismatching of talent to scheme on defense

3. Sloppy mental breakdowns on special teams.

Trends are everything.

And right now, things are trending downward.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

now that it is clear that we suck and the big off season splashes are just that:

If we beat Philly we're tied for first in the division

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'd buy that for a dollar

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gambrills4 | September 27, 2010 11:26 AM

Last year? It's so unusual to see them struggle in the post season, isn't it? Maybe they have a pair between them.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what that genius Jim Haslett is gonna do about Michael Vick this week. But if he thinks he can just blitz every down like he always does, then prepare to see Vick break 200 yds rushing next Sunday.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 27, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Heard on the radio this morning that the Skins have lost to the last 6 rookie QBs the team has faced.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 27, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

....that's last year's trend. You know, the team that could actually hold the Rams to 7 points instead of 30. Unless our offense can score, say, 42 points a game, will will lose the next 4 games because our defense allows teams to march down the field and score touchdowns. Our offense begins and ends with Graham Q. Gano.

Unless we can seriously crack down on defense (switch back to a 4-3? Have a "players-only" meeting? Trade AH for Jabba the Hut?) we just can't keep up.

I'd like to believe that the "brain trust" will right the ship, but I'm just not going to hold my breath. I've seen this movie before, and it usually ends somewhere around 4-12.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | September 27, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

yikes....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

If this isn't ledge material, I don't know what is.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I big thumbs down here to switching up the defense. Accept that you aren't very good, stick with the philosophy, and switch up the players, who haven't shown they are world beaters in any defensive or offensive scheme anyways.

Why adjust to these guys? They've never won anything.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"Are the Redskins using Clinton Portis correctly?"

The better question is,

Is Kyle Shanahan's playcalling wack?

I'd say, "Yes."

We've seen three games where the redskin run game has been ineffective.

And in two of the three, teams have shown how to attack NFL defenses adept at stopping the run.

Both the texans and rams resorted to using quick passes to outlet receivers on 1st down in order to achieve 2nd and 4/6.

You'd think in the face of a ineffective running game, Kyle Shanahan would steal this idea, and do unto others what's being done to us.

Not a chance.

Again: We have two solid tight ends.

So why not go with a controlled passing attack until the run game gets going?

Let Portis catch tthe ball out of the backfield if he can't get yards in the run game.

That might be a better way to use him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Why adjust to these guys? They've never won anything.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 11:44 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm not as far on the ledge as some others here, but I've seen enough to make a couple of conclusions: (1) Haslett's 3-4 defense is sound as a scheme, because it's proven around the league, but we just don't have the personnel - at all - to make it work. We're getting murdered up front, and our secondary simply lacks talent. It's a mystery to me how these same guys can look so bad in the secondary when they're playing a zone that in some situations is similar to last year, when they were fairly decent. None of the D-line guys seem to be able to hack it against anyone, and our ILBs consistently can't get to the outside edge and make a play. We need at least one outstanding cover guy, whereas we have two mediocre cover guys. We either need to go back to the 4-3 (which we won't) or hope we draft some D-linemen and ILBs next year.

(2) A great scheme can't make up for a lack of talent on the offense. Shanahan obviously believes in his scheme b/c it worked in Denver, but Denver clearly had much better talent across the board. Our guys just can't consistently execute either the run or the pass. Our O-line appears to be better on pass protection than last year, but they just aren't getting it done on the zone blocking scheme. I still think CP can get it done on an acceptable level - maybe I'm fooling myself - if the o-line could execute better.

(3) McNabb is the real thing, but even someone as capable as he can't win with such inferior talent. When you literally only have 2 consistent and reliable targets (Moss & Cooley), things are going to be ugly.

These past two weeks really hurt since I was expecting a significant degree of improvement and competency this year, even if they didn't end up a winning team, and we apparently aren't going to get it this season. Again. How incredibly disappointing. As sad as it is for me to admit this to myself, since I lived through the golden age of the '80s, the Redskins truly have become one of the permanent bottom dwellers of the league.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | September 27, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Again: We have two solid tight ends.

co-sign moe...stop throwing it to sellers, and start making Cooley/Davis an integral part of the game plan....the offense is like jim zorn lite...get DT involved, and force the other team to single cover moss....what happened to the offense that was out there versus Houston?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

If we beat Philly we're tied for first in the division

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 11:36 AM

Sup pab? A little optimism from you? What gives? Got laid this morning, eh?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"...this is the Redskins' trend: they crap the bed against a bad team, then rise up and look like world beaters against the good teams (or at least look good in a losing effort). As bad as the Redskins have been in recent years, it's rare that they take a total beatdown."

And this is suppose to make thy cup runneth over? Are we suppose to take solace in these "trends".

Don't know about you, brown, but I'm growing "tiresome" of these trends. They've been troublesome for the better part of the last damn near 20 years.

People are wondering: 'When is enough already?' Losses to the Texans and the Rams are the EXACT same losses this franchise has suffered over the last several seasons. No matter who's the QB or head coach.

The example you gave with the Falcons and Packers can't compare with the Redskins and their plight. The Falcons and Packers have both fielded contending teams for most of the last decade. The Redskins haven't.

Within the last 15 years, I can only recall two seasons I thought this team actually had a real shot of making some noise: 1999 & 2005

That is what has people pissed. It's always: 'Wait until next year'.... if they hadn't assmebled a team that they were expecting to contend this year, then I'd be okay with that.

But they didn't.

They went in "win now" mode. So naturally people are expecting them to win now. Can't fault the fans for acting the way they do, sorry...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Why adjust to these guys? They've never won anything.

Posted by: shaunsherman12

Well, if thats the case then McNabb should've never come here. He's not here to help rebuild.

Its absolutely pathetic that one of the least talented teams in the league, with a rookie QB, rolls this team.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

It's because Jason Campbell is learning a new offense..oh, my bad, I was having a flashback.

Haslett needs to look up the old film of how Tampa Bay used to handle Vick and try to implement that somehow into the game plan. But of course, this team doesn't have the players the Bucs had or the speed.

Posted by: ga8085 | September 27, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:47 AM

beep, then you install it next year when you have the personnel for it. What was the hurry to shove the 3-4 down the team's throat in year one when you're trying to win games now? Because while you (the Coach) were out of the game you found that the 3-4 was the most effective D? Really, did he consider who was running it and the players on those teams? That's just dumb.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 27, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep

So we rented McNabb for our 2nd this past year- Do you suggest we trade him to the Vikings after one year?? Still have to sign him or he's gone for nuthin' in free agency..McNabb is a quality upgrade, and you hate him for what-why??

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep

"I agree. It's not like a 4-3 is going to put us in the playoffs. Run the 3-4 if that's what you want to run next year."

You're right to say the team is auditioning roles for the future by forcing a system on the team in the present.

And, so far three areas stand out on defense:

outside linebacker (Carter should sit, Alexander is the better player)

nose tackle (if Hanyesworth wouldn't play the spot right, the team should use more 4-3 fronts on first down, anyway)

free safety (somehow, teams are exploiting the area infront of whomever is the free safety for yards--especially off playaction based movement)

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

In honor of Breast Awareness Month, I think I'll wear my pink DM5 Vikings jersey this weekend.

I may as well get a head start on next season.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 27, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 11:50 AM

The Houston game was fools gold. There secondary is awful. They made Roy Williams look like Jerry Rice yesterday.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 27, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins' losses can be pinned squarely on the defense. But that doesn't mean the scheme is the problem.

Lisa_R, you think coaching heads should roll because they switched form a "top 5" defense to a 3-4? First of all, I don't remember the Redskins having a top 5 defense last year. Second, the 'Skins' defensive ranking was always a fraud. They never generated turnovers, and rarely got off the field when they had to. It was a bend-but-don't-break defense.

I agree with the commenter that said, "Why should this coaching staff adjust their scheme to fit these players?" What have these players accomplished that would warrant changing proven offensive and defensive schemes to suit their 'talents'? Nothing.

The defense will suck this year, and will continue to suck until they acquire personnel to fit the scheme. Get used to it.

Posted by: jcabana | September 27, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I may as well get a head start on next season.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 27, 2010 11:56 AM

And I'll make a burrito out of lady's pink g-string and eat it.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

You'd have to amend the goodVSbad analysis to account for last week's game... Houston was supposa be a good team and we Jekyl&Hyde it. Then the CrapGrrls thump 'em.

I don't think it's the scheme. I think it's the useage. Don't put Rocky,HB or Fletch in coverage - use 'em to stop up the run, if the line ain't doin' it.

Let the cover guys cover (DHall... never want to see him cover a run play again) and let the safeties wreak havoc.

Again, I think we'll see a more complete product against our div. Hope so, anyway.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 27, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

dmorgan, you're telling me that even with better coaching, better QB, and better OTs we can't keep up with the Eagles? Really? Did you happen to catch the Texans game?

Look, even the worst defenses don't give up 30 points EVERY week. Plus we've seen this D play relatively well, holding Dall-ass to 7 points in the opener.

I'm just as alarmed by the inept defense as anyone (anyone except the more suicidal fans, at least)...I just don't believe that we're gonna give up 500 yards and 30 points each and every week. Some squad will walk into a game thinking they're good for a big day on us and get shocked into reality. Some week Haslett will call a great game and have just the perfect gameplan in place. Some week, the ball will just bounce our way.

It's the law of averages in the NFL. Even if it doesn't come next week against the Eagles, we'll see a good day out of the defense. There's too much talent there not to.

I mean, look at the Bills yesterday. And they don't have a fraction of the talent we have...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Why adjust to these guys? They've never won anything.

Posted by: shaunsherman12

Simple. Because you DON'T have the personnel to run it. Some players like Haynesworth or Carter (two of the better defensive players) you can't just cut those guys. You have to keep them and find away to adjust your scheme to them.

Like I said before: I don't have a problem with a 3-4 base defense, as long as you got the guys to run it. And the Redskins clearly don't.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Is Kyle Shanahan's playcalling wack?

I'd say, "Yes."

Posted by: MistaMoe

I could not disagree more, particularly in speaking about the deep passing aggression. KShanahan's playcalling between the 20s has been stellar. The only scores we've put up have been a result of the aggressive playcalling from KS. Yesterday we scored our TD following a long bomb to Fred Davis that resulted in a pass interference. Another red zone trip was created by a bomb to Santana Moss. Against the Texans, we scored a TD on a playaction deep pass to Cooley. A second TD was set-up by a bomb to Joey Galloway.

In fact, Shanahan's playcalling is about the only positive aspect this entire Redskins team has to show for itself (coupled with McNabb's ability to execute these passes).

Where the playcalling becomes questionable is inside the red zone. The short passing routes, quick precision timing, and bubble screens have been entirely ineffective in the red zone. Receivers can't find the soft spots, the line can't protect, and the running game is difficult to get going from outside the 5 yard line.

Sort of gives you a logical reason why Shanahan resorts to calling deep shots.

And believe me, they're about the only thing that works right now.

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

...Kyle's had McNabb drop more deep bombs than 1940's Germany did over London--and to a similar ineffective result.

Again: We have two solid tight ends.

So why not go with a controlled passing attack until the run game gets going?

That might be a better way to use him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 11:45 AM
------------------------------------------
First off, I think the receivers and McNabb are automatically supposed to go deep when a receiver is locked in man coverage. It seems that way to me, and it is not a bad gambit if you have more than one receiver that can burn a team deep so the safeties can't cheat. The problem is, the other team puts their fastest guy on Moss and they really don't worry much about who is covering the other guy.

As for two tight ends, I saw the offense use two tight ends a lot yesterday. The problem was they had to block blitzers in the second half instead of going out on pass routes.

Which brings me to something that aggravated me yesterday: the Redskins allowed the Rams defense to dictate what the Redskins did on offense, instead of making the defense respond to them. For example, when the Rams started bunching up guys on the line of scrimmage, a way to combat that would be to bring more receivers in. You stack the receivers and then throw those little receiver screens, or you send guys high and low knowing they can't cover them all. Al Saunders did this a few years ago when we played the Seahawks in the playoffs. I can't recall any sets where the Redskins lined four all out wide. I also like the shotgun draw to quiet down a pass rushing defense. Washington used this against the Giants defense years ago when Spags was their defensive coordinator. What did the Redskins do yesterday? They kept more blockers in therefore limiting the passing game.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 27, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with my boy Beenie grEG....No more mike sellers targets!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 27, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the problem defensively is schematic. Personnel-wise there would by just as many question marks in a 4-3 as a 3-4.

Carter is better in the 4-3, Carriker is better in the 3-4. Kemoeatu is getting blown up no matter where he lines up; his physical strength isn't what it used to be at this point. Cornelius Griffin is gone, Alexander is slimmed down, Jarmon is bulked up. Neither of those guys fit into a 4-3 defensive front. Holliday is a 3-4 DE plain and simple. We only have 4 LBs for a 4-3 (Fletcher, McIntosh, Riley, Blades), and none of them play the SLB.

This defense is undergoing an ugly transition. No, the personnel isn't perfect (for either defense), but the bigger issue is how Haslett was outcoached from a playcalling standpoint. He was one step behind the entire second half. That worries much more than any personnel or schematic weaknesses.

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

outside linebacker (Carter should sit, Alexander is the better player)

Posted by: MistaMoe

What happened to all of that talk with the coaches about crafting a scheme to fit the personnel? I haven't seen this done.

I would say AC99 is the 2nd best defensive lineman on this team. You have to find a way to make him successful and use him properly. He looks lost out there.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 12:02 PM

You on a ROLL! Can I get a what,what!

You ooozing with solid points today. What! What!

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I am going to be as blunt and realistic as possible.

There are two ways of looking at this:
a. We are a blocked FG [vs Houston] from being 2-1

b. We are a freak fumble vs. Dallas from being 0-3

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 27, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Why adjust to these guys? They've never won anything.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 11:44 AM |

100% correct

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Really wish people would come off the "we shut Dallas down on offense" stuff.

Everyone knows that had Dallas stuck with the run, that outcome would've favored Dallas. The 'Skins in that first game couldn't stop the run and Romo still passed for over 300 yards.

The defense in that game, unlike the 4th quarter in the Texans game and in St. Louis yesterday, made key stops in crucial times.

Anyone know the NFL average on 3rd conversions on offense? My guess is that it's below 40%. The Rams converted 43% of their third down situations. The Texans got 42% of theirs.

Dallas? 38%

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"This is supposed to be an elite staff. No one has made adjustments after the half and they all have been out coached in the last 2 games."

Half time adjustments??????? Dude this isn't 80-90's fball. Coaches are constantly making adjustments throughout the game. The REAL problems are the STIFFS our team has on the roster, I'll start with two: Kemo and Casey

Posted by: bhoang888 | September 27, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Red, just because the Redskins organization fooled itself into thinking it's a playoff team, doesn't mean the fans have to follow suit. I'm just as disturbed by those trends as anyone...all I'm saying is that A) you're not going to reverse those trends overnight and B) it's too early to write the season off.

You cited the '99 Redskins and the '05 Redskins as "two seasons I thought this team actually had a real shot of making some noise". That '99 team had the 30th ranked defense that year. Still came within a botched FG of the NFC title game. The '05 team didn't get off to the start we're seeing now, but they went 2-6 in the middle of the year and still made the playoffs. Not saying we're in for that kind of turnaround in 2010, but the season isn't over and we're not on the clock for the first pick in the 2011 draft.

The last two weeks hurt...there's no reason why we shouldn't be 3-0. But you have accidents sometimes on the way to being potty trained...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patljr7

Oh goodie, another upcoming "outstanding" offseason for the home squad.

By the way, if they were rebuilding, I'd be in favor of it. But their biggest deal, fading superstar Donovan McNabb isn't rebuilding.
Adding ancient RBs isn't rebuilding. I can see Galloway, who is 82 and is paid a ham sandwich to play, but the emphasis should BE on rebuilding, not a half-azz imitation of it.

The best rebuilding plan, IMO would be to bring in a defensive coordinator.

Posted by: TheCork | September 27, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

It sure would be nice if the rest of our opponents played down to their competition.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | September 27, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I sure wish folks would stop comparing the Packers struggles in the 3-4 last yr to the Skins of this yr. And think the Skins will be able to turn it around in a similiar fashion.

1. The Packers drafted a bonafide nose tackle in the 1st round.

2. The Packers Linebacker core was already 10 times more athletic, younger and bigger then the Skins.

3. The Pack's secondary was already better then the Skins

4. Dom Capers is a better DC then Haslett has ever been.

5. The only player truly playing out of position for them was Kampman. Skins have Carter, Alexander, Haynsworth, etc

Posted by: ga8085 | September 27, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

You're right - the 'Skins won't turn it around this year. They don't have the horses. The Pack's D was AWFUL in the early stages of last season.

1. The Redskins have so many holes that they couldn't draft a great nose tackle. Drafting a nose tackle = no Trent Williams. And as we've seen, the o-line could use even more help than it got.

2. This just in: the Redskins lack talented players. Film at 11.

3. See #2.

4. This might be true, but the gap isn't huge. Haslett was also the DC in Pittsburgh for a few years. When was the last time the Steelers had a bad defense?

5. The Pack had younger and more flexible players than the Redskins do - that much is obvious. No, the Redskins' defense probably isn't going to be any good this year. But most of the league's best defenses run a 3-4. Should they have 'waited' to implement it? I don't think so. This way, you give players a full season to adjust. Those who do will stick around...and those who don't will be cast aside.

Posted by: jcabana | September 27, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

get whatever draft pick you can for AH by trading him. I won't say he can't play NT in the 3-4, rather, he doesn't want to play NT in the 3-4. LOSER belongs on a losing team and guess what.........

Posted by: hessone

Seriously? You are blaming this on Haynesworth???

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 27, 2010 11:00 AM |

lisa, if you read my post, not once did I blame AH for this loss, however, he was on the field and shares the blame. after all, they ran right at him for the go ahead TD.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

But they didn't.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 11:52 AM |

Also 100% correct.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

.... Hopefully I don't even hear a score from that game. But I will be in South Jersey so I probably will... repeatedly.

Posted by: alex35332

You have my best wishes. Being in South Jersey is suffering enough.

(Hey, we kid because we love)

Posted by: TheCork | September 27, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Why adjust to these guys? They've never won anything.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 11:44 AM |

100% correct

Posted by: scampbell1975

Not buying it. So now the scheme is more important than trying to win games? These coaches were supposed to be able to scheme and adjust with the best of them. I haven't seen it.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bhoang888

Well, what have you seen adjusted during the game? And as far as the roster goes, I guess the Rams roster is stocked full of talent right? Please.....

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 12:19 PM |

Adjust to what? These players have sucked ass for several years now. A lot of these guys have been around through several coaches and the one thing that has stayed consistent is that they suck no matter who is coaching. LFB and Orakpo are the only 2 players on defense that are worth a damn and Orakpo just got here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins' losses can be pinned squarely on the defense...

Posted by: jcabana | September 27, 2010 11:59 AM

Apart from the OT loss last week, the offense hasn't exactly been lighting it up. 13, 27, and 16 points.

The 27 is good, but the other scores look a lot like last year.,

Yeah, the D is weak so far, but the O isn't winning any games either.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

psps23

"In fact, Shanahan's playcalling is about the only positive aspect this entire Redskins team has..."

The same thing went on in the texans' game when with the lead in hand, the offense decided that missed deep passes plus punting was the best way to hold off M Schaub.

That's not stellar playcalling to me.

In today's NFL, you use a running game and short passes in the third quarter to salt away a win.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Really wish people would come off the "we shut Dallas down on offense" stuff.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 12:14 PM

100% agree. Which is why I didn't say that. I said "we held them to 7 points".

We can play the "what if" game all day, but the box score says "Redskins 13, Cowpies 7". That's all that matters.

Bottom line is they didn't get killed in that game like they did against Houston and St. Louis. Dallas moved the ball between the 20s and didn't get anything in the red zone. I agree that the Cowpies screwed themselves out of a win by not sticking to the run, but at the end of the day the Redskins took advantage of what was in front of them. Which is more than what we can say for the last two weeks.

But to each his own...I'm curious to see which Redskins team will show up in Philly this weekend. Just don't fault me because I don't automatically assume it'll be the squad we saw get off the plane in St. Louis.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Wassa wrong with DT that he wasn't used?? Danny was told to throw the game to save St. Louis's declining revenue, tell the truth...

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

mcnabb isn't good at the short game. dirt balls are as bad as running for no gain. the problem is an o-line that sucks, starting with the center.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Not in panic or suicidal mode, brown. I don't think rational fans are.

The 4th quarter from the Texans game and the "performance" yesterday is cause for legit major concern. You can't turn a blind eye to this stuff or downplay it because it's early in the season.

The last two losses? Just indicative of their fortunes over the last several seasons:

1) Get big lead on a quality opponent; only to squander the lead away in the final minutes

2) Lose to a team they have NO BUSINESS losing to

It's getting old now...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh goodie, another upcoming "outstanding" offseason for the home squad.

The best rebuilding plan, IMO would be to bring in a defensive coordinator.

Posted by: TheCork | September 27, 2010 12:14 PM |

Oh God I can't believe I actually agree with this guy. If we're gonna win now then win now. If we're rebuild then rebuild. You don't rebuild by adding has beens or never was's. You don't rebuild by trading away draft picks for Team Grecian guys. This half and half crap hasn't worked for the last 15 years and it's not going to work now. Pick one and do it. If they wanted to win now they should have picked up Dansby, Marshall, Jackson, Atogwe, etc. If they were rebuilding they should never have given away multiple picks for anyone.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

With this Defense, this is going to be a long, long season.

Posted by: jmy999 | September 27, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

We are a 1st Half Team, just like each of the last few years, so far nothing has changed.
Until we man-up and adjust to the other team in the 2nd Half, like they are doing to us, AND score more points, it is gonna be a long year.

Posted by: monk811 | September 27, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Note to Shan and Has:

"People go to work to succeed, not fail. It is your job to understand your employee’s strengths and weaknesses so that you can put them in the best position to succeed. If, for example, you find out that an employee is lacking in a certain skill set to succeed during a change then provide the coaching and training to make them and your organization successful. The best managers minimize or eliminate their employees weaknesses and while building on their strengths. Remove any and all barriers to success."

---Ten Techniques for Motivating Others Through Chaos

By Ed Sykes

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

This isn't all on the players. Go man for man down this roster versus the Rams and tell me we should not have won that game.

There's no denying that we have holes but as great as this staff is supposed to be, you easily beat the Rams....

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I actually saw a play when we were still in the game where Galloway and Roydell Phuking Williams were the 2 wide receivers on the field. I mean what the phuk? Are you telling me that DT can't at least beat out Roydell Phuking Williams to get on the field? Is DT retarded or are the coaches? Roydell Phuking Williams for phuks sake!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 11:52 AM |

red, you make more sense than almost any other posts this morning with these comments. rest assured some bleeding heart will spin your comments to make you out as a bad skins fan. I'm with you all the way, and if the FO doesn't change the win now way of operration, it's more of the same, cook it.

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Since Redskins appear to be gunning for high draft picks again next Spring, perhaps we can start to figure out who within the next draft class will be worthy of a 3rd or 4th overall pick. Do we draft the best available player or should we try to fill a defined need? Or should we just trade down for a couple of second rounders or something -- that we can then trade away for a few more legends from the 1980s?

Posted by: Vic1 | September 27, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

alan4

"1 for 10 on 3rd down conversions against the Rams? Three times deep in the Red Zone to settle for field goals?"

I'm trying to understand the 3rd down screen pass in the red zone that resulted in a field goal.

Whatever happened to throwing the ball into the end zone to score?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

andre carter needs to be cut immediately!!! it would be nice to get something for him but until then he needs to be inactive. he hasnt made a play yet but what were they thinkn puttn him in space in the first place?

Posted by: lincolnhomes | September 27, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 12:33 PM |

Oh you are right this is definitely NOT all on the players. Haslett was outcoached yesterday. But these guys suck. There are only 4-5 players on this entire defense that I would want on my team. LFB, Orakpo, recently Landry, One Man Gang, and maybe Carriker would be the only guys worth keeping on this roster. Everyone else screws up WAAAAAY too much to be called professionals. If I screwed up that much in my line of work I'd never sell another job.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

brown, agreed. You can't say 'Well if we loss to the Rams, we'll most definitely lose to the Eagles.'

Some of it's match ups, some of it's game-planning.

Coming up with the right game plan to put your players in the right match ups.

Haslett obviously didn't do that in the 4th quarter Texans game and yesterday.

I just hope the "secret" isn't out on how to play this defense with this personnel.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Agreed. Welcome to the world of MY Way Mike. Some Broncos fans told be about this a while ago.....

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"The redskins ran for 115 yards in the 1st half, then decided to play Air Shanahan in the 3rd quarter yesterday once the score was 16-13."

Can't say I agree with you. First six plays of the 3rd quarter:

(1) 56 yard pass play to Santana Moss + horsecollar personal foul - first down.

(2) Mike Sellers rush for 1 yard

(3) Ryan Torain rush for 5 yards

(4) Clinton Portis rush for -1 yards - followed by FG

(5) Ryan Torain rush for -3 yards

(6) Pass complete to Clinton Portis for 14 yards - first down

KS tried to impose the run. It wasn't working. The only thing that worked was the aerial attack.

Of course, it didn't help that the Rams held the ball for twice as long as the Redskins in the second half -- no doubt assisted by the lack of success our running game had to start that half.

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

If I screwed up that much in my line of work I'd never sell another job.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 12:38 PM

What kind of job you perfer selling? Hand or blows?

Just kidding bro. Too easy drill seargeant, too easy.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"Since Redskins appear to be gunning for high draft picks again next Spring, perhaps we can start to figure out who within the next draft class will be worthy of a 3rd or 4th overall pick."

That's easy: 'Bama's Marl Ingraham.

He's quick to the hole, can make running plays without stellar blocking, is hard to bring down, has excellent feet, and is strong.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The 27 is good, but the other scores look a lot like last year.,

Yeah, the D is weak so far, but the O isn't winning any games either.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

True. But even a veteran offense isn't going to light up the scoreboard every game - much less a new offense with coaches and players still learning each other.

In such games, you have to be able to occasionally lean on your defense to get the win. If your defense is last in the league, you won't be able to win when the offense (predictably) struggles. As we've seen.

Posted by: jcabana | September 27, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 12:38 PM

What kind of job you perfer selling? Hand or blows?

Just kidding bro. Too easy drill seargeant, too easy.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 12:42 PM

Funny stuff

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 27, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse
----------

Red,

I get what you're saying...but I understand why they would install it anyways. There are going to be players that fit in this scheme that will be back next year, and those guys get a year under their belts in the meantime. Other guys who can't adjust will be shuffled out, and folks who fit the scheme shuffled in.

I think Haslett, Allen, Shanahan, et al took a look at the tape of this team last year and said "yikes"...but they aren't going to declare that for us. Publicly, it will always be "we can do it", but privately, I think they know this is project.

I believe bringing in the older players was/is just a cheap stopgap in areas where they are completely difficient. McNabb may be considered a "win now" move, but I don't buy that. The way he conditions himself, he should have another 4-5 years in the tank.

Overall, I don't care about how the personnel fits - not in this case. These guys don't deserve custom fitting. If we are worse now in order to be where we want to be later, I'm fine with that. It certainly beats fighting to "almost" make the playoffs or squeeze in as a #6 seed every 3rd or 4th year.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

At least I can put my finger on things with my beloved Redskins.

This isn't a player management issue anymore. This isn't a coaching issue anymore. Per the aforementioned points, this is no longer an ownership issue anymore.

This is a personnel issue. We just don't have good enough players.

We have NO talented RB's. Portis basically retired last night. His hook-slide downfield before anyone even touched him was a 'no mas' in anyone's book. The dude is done.

We have no one other than Moss at the WR position.

Our OL is okay but it's just not deep enough. In this day and age, you need at least 2 legitimate NFL starting caliber O-linemen able to come off the bench because every team loses a guy here and there at different times during the season. Heyer has super-glue on his hands.

Special teams is killing us. I'll leave it at that.

The one part of the team that's been carrying the load for the last few years is the defense and I swear to Christ I could run into the soft middle of the zone, stop and catch an 8 yard pass - seriously.

I've been saying it all along by curbing my enthusiasm after the week 1 win that we have upgraded but we are not a division contender.

Next week, take Philly AND the over.....

Bet the house.

I'd say were are in for another 4-12 season but where the f*ck are the other 3 wins going to come from? Answer me that, please!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 27, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun |

im pretty sure the big half time adjustment was to abandon the run and bench portis

Posted by: notthecrochunter | September 27, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Heres what Greg Blache knew all along:THE SKINS DO NOT HAVE THE CORNERS TO PLAY ALL OUT BLITZ BALL.Our corners are average at best.Blache knew that everytime he sent the house those guys were all alone.Thats a no sir and a negative.Our corner are not good enough to be trusted like that and in the next 2-3 weeks they will be exposed for what they are,average corners.

Posted by: smittdiddy | September 27, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I am going to be as blunt and realistic as possible.

There are two ways of looking at this:
a. We are a blocked FG [vs Houston] from being 2-1

b. We are a freak fumble vs. Dallas from being 0-3

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 27, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 27, 2010 12:01 PM |

brown, what talent are you referring to ?

Posted by: hessone | September 27, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcabana | September 27, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

The problem with that is that they should have done the same thing on the offensive side of the ball. Keeping a bunch of aging RB's and WR's and bringing in a QB who clearly didn't sign up for rebuilding is contradicting yourself.
Lets not forget, GB's offense is relatively young so they could afford to rebuild on defense.

Posted by: ga8085 | September 27, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | September 27, 2010 12:49 PM

You can still blitz an LB or two without leaving your corners on a island--safety help. You leave your corners on a island when you bring a safety blitz. I've seen the Skins bring both this year.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

psps23

"KS tried to impose the run. It wasn't working. The only thing that worked was the aerial attack"

I never thought you should give up on the run game with a close score, but that's me.

And, we've seen, by your own admisssion, three games where the redskin run game has been ineffective.

The solution?: do what the rams and texans did.

Both teams used short quick passses to the edges of their offenses to get 2nd and 4/6, and thus, open up their playbook.

Say what you will, but your Boy Genius Shanahan is still calling a offense like he has M Schaub tossing bombs to A Johnson.

Guess what?: he's not.

We should be using a controlled quick passing attack in lieu of a running game that not's working.

That's basic modern NFL football.

The rams did this to us yesterday when S Jackson went down.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, I was recently accepted to be a writer for Bleacherreport.com. I am one of the youngest writers on there, as I am only 17. Please take a look at my first article. It’s all about the Skins. So tell me how it is, and if you can, please comment on the article as well.

If you have a twitter account, follow me @roccoskins, I will update it every time I post something on b/r. Thanks

Posted by: roccoskins | September 27, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"Our corner are not good enough to be trusted like that and in the next 2-3 weeks they will be exposed for what they are,average corners.

Posted by: smittdiddy"

Less than average, the past two weeks. If this is going to be a rebuilding year, why get McNabb?? This team smacks of some kind of SFB management , or it's a Vegas-rigjob..

Posted by: frak | September 27, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Lastly, I bet the Cowhomo fans will start to show their ugly faces again and they better offer up a huge "THANK YOU" to the Redskins for softening up the Texans for them.

If they can't admit to that then they are even dumber than the retards in the Mellwood commercials.

You're welcome...biznatches.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 27, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The rams did this to us yesterday when S Jackson went down.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Naw Moe, they ran some no RB at us that carved us up. And I would call a running game that average 6 yards a carry ineffective.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yes 4-3 is garbage..Jim Haslett is clueless Let Haslett Go.. Make Fat Albert our Def Co as he is the greatest proponent of 3-4!!

Posted by: KarK | September 27, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | September 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Most of us that wanted to keep JC were thinking long term. Think about this. If we would have not traded for Mcnabb and kept our second round pick from last year we could have drafted Nate Allen, Mount Cody, an offensive lineman, WR, or a LB. then with this year's pick we could have drafted a QB like Mallet, Locker, Ponder, or Devlin. Just look at the list of people drafted after Nate Allen and think about what might have been. Now we can't draft a QB because we don't want to hurt McNabb's feelings.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 27, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"For McNabb, trip to Philly is just business" You sure have it right this time Jason. No passion, no fire, no blood lust - just business. These guys are not a professional football team - they are a bunch of government clerks spending their time and collecting their salaries. No, on second thought,that is too much of a slam on government clerks. These guys are lower than government clerks. At least they do something. The last game was disgusting. Watching the defense go easy on the new kid and the offense making sure that it was not overly offensive turned my stomach. I would rather watch paint dry than watch the Deadskins play the Eagles next Sunday.

Posted by: DoneWithDan | September 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

It's already that time of the season where I become a better husband, father and friend by writing off the Redskins for the rest of the season.
Go Philly!

Posted by: rfe18 | September 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

tsk... tsk...

sorry McNabb, but you won't be able to inflict your revenge on the Igglets as much as I would like to see it because your teammates are LOSERS. No receivers, No defense, Fat Albert, Sliding DHall, Old Oline, Portis the Tortoise.

Eagles 38 Deadskins 9

Posted by: datruth21 | September 27, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KarK | September 27, 2010 1:00 PM

Perfect example of why you should not mix booze and pregnacy; your kid will sound like this.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Can't say I agree with you. First six plays of the 3rd quarter:

(1) 56 yard pass play to Santana Moss + horsecollar personal foul - first down.

(2) Mike Sellers rush for 1 yard

(3) Ryan Torain rush for 5 yards

(4) Clinton Portis rush for -1 yards - followed by FG

(5) Ryan Torain rush for -3 yards

(6) Pass complete to Clinton Portis for 14 yards - first down

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 12:40 PM

We said this last year, and the same hold true this year. This offense is not a straight drop back deep pass offense. I think not attempting to run the ball more or using the short pass instead of the run only plays into the other team's hand. There was series in yesterday's game where the Rams did like 5 straight short passes and then gashed the Skins with a run for a TD. They controlled the ball w/o any real threat at WR or RB. That's a template the Skins need to follow particularly with such a porous defense.

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"The rams did this to us yesterday when S Jackson went down.

Posted by: MistaMoe"

The Rams were successful because the Redskins were sending blitz-heavy packages on nearly every down. The Redskins were not facing a similar defense yesterday.

Regardless, the Redskins got 3 trips to the red zone on top of a TD from outside the red zone all stemming from the deep-passing offense. Playcalling between the 20s was not and has not been the issue. You score 2 TDs and a FG on those 3 trips, you have yourself 24 points unassisted from the defense and STs. That's the makings of a top 5 offense.

The issue is not taking deep shots. Not even close. It's punching the ball in the endzone once we get inside the 20. That's where the playcalling can be questioned.

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse
_______

That's true but our free safety play has been, how do I say this, less than helpful this year. How many plays do we have to see where the receiver has space on the corner on an in route or a slant and the corner either improperly hands him off to the safety or the safety is out of position. Neither Rogers or DHall have ever been outstanding coverage corners, although I think Rogers is better. DHall has a good nose for the ball and makes a good break for the INT, but he gets beaten one on one on a regular basis.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | September 27, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Since many people have already bashed the defense and Haslett, I'm going to take a shot at someone else. Is anyone else as fed up with Moss as I am? Yes, I know he's one of our only real playmakers, and yes I know he made some great plays yesterday. But he also fumbled without being hit hard and killed a great drive, leading to a score by the Rams and a complete swing of momentum. He seems to do stupid things almost every game: penalties, showboating, etc. I can also remember three drives that he killed last season with unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Some leader.

I know we need him for the time being, but I can't wait until they upgrade that position. Stupid players are dragging this team down as much as the so-called lack of talent.

Posted by: NYPDee | September 27, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The Rams took the lead 21-16 with 7:10 to play in the 3rd qtr. In the 4 drives to tie or win the game that followed(not including garbage time possession), McNabb was 4-11, 49 yds, sck, int, and picked up only 2 1st downs. This is why we wanted him gone in Philly and what was never reported in the national media...unlike early in his career, when all the chips were on the table, McNabb chokes. Get back to me when he engineers a game-wining drive. Go Birds!

Posted by: DirtyWaters13 | September 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"This offense is not a straight drop back deep pass offense."

Nor has it been attempted to be. Nearly all the big plays have been either misdirection off bootlegs or playaction. Don't confuse a deep passing offense with a traditional straight drop back offense. They are not always one in the same.

And again, the Rams were successful because they were attacking the weakness of a blitz-heavy defense. That offense does not and will not hold true against other opponents.

And don't be fooled by my comments, I'm not saying we shouldn't be using short passes. We should. Just saying the griping about our use of the deep passing game is totally off-base. That's the aspect that's working right now.

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 1:04 PM

On the other hand if you are smoking something while getting pregnant.. your kid would become all too serious don't see the pun, would be born without any sense of humor and would sound more like smokeybear2!!!

Posted by: KarK | September 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"That's true but our free safety play has been, how do I say this, less than helpful this year."

Posted by: skinsfan713 | September 27, 2010 1:09 PM

Yes, agree. FS has stunk; SS not. Why do you think that is? Scheme or the athlete? Athlete in my opinion. I don't have any beef with the secondary--as athletes or as a scheme. I do question the usage of the players at the line and in LB roles. Why not bring AH on 2nd and 3rd and move Orakpo to DE on those same downs more often? This is just using the talents of those you are paying heavily. Que no?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I first thought our team, the Redskins were a 8 and 8 team this year. Now it would be good to be 6 and 10. Go Skins!

Posted by: artdrivers | September 27, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KarK | September 27, 2010 1:17 PM |

Yo mama.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

It's not too late to right the ship but they better get going now. The Skins need to stop talking (DeAngelo)and start performing. I thought back in the summer that the Skins may not have the personnel to switch to a 3-4 especially because of the defensive backs and linebackers we have. The fact that Carter is starting at LB let's you know about the depth we have at LB. He is a DE and not a prototype LB.
The fact that we don't have shutdown corners is one reason why they run a lot of zones which is leaving all this spacing in our defense for big plays. If yesterday is any indication of what it is going to be like the rest of the season Michael Vick is going to have a field day with Desean Jackson and Jerry Maclin running circles around Deangelo and Carlos.
Maybe Albert is smarter than we thought. maybe he knew the personnel was not suited for a 3-4 but a 4-3 and not just his preference.
As far as running the ball is concerned we are not going to be successful unless we establish a solid running game. We can't hope Donovan is going to throw for 300 to 400 yards a game and have no running game.
Offensively we have to learn to control the clock to keep our defense off the field. In the Red Zone they have to utilize both Cooley and Davis as end zone threats.
Most of all this team has to make a name for themselves by being consistent and not making excuses for their poor play.
I hope Mike lights a fire under them this week. Maybe Haslett will implement the defensive team barking at Mike to throw him off. Roof...Roof...Roof...Roof and a some growls may be our best hope for fanatical Lincoln Field.
If anything we ought to go in an win this one for Donovan. Besides Redskins deserve better.

Posted by: raystitt | September 27, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say in my last post Redskin fans derserve better than the performance these guy's have been leaving on the field. Like all fans we are more concerned about what have you done for me lately than what you have accomplished in the past.
Will the real Redskins please show up and play some smashmouth football.

Posted by: raystitt | September 27, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

should have never swithced to the 3/4. Remember when big, bad OVER RATED Marvin Lewis brought his dumb ass scheme here? This is what Haslett reminds me of. He might blitz more than Mr. Vanilla Blache but I never cared for him. Greg willaims is still the best D coordinator we have ever had here. Look at how dopey Haslett looks on the sideleines when a teams like the RAMS score on his defense. He looks like he has no Plan B.

Posted by: lszovati | September 27, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

We will win this game. Have some faith people.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 27, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. If this soft 3-4 defense continue to play a very soft zone pass defense, they will continue to lose, no matter what the offense does.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | September 27, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

We will win this game. Have some faith people.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 27, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Shut your azz up!

Posted by: ga8085 | September 27, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1 | September 27, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gambrills4 | September 27, 2010 11:26 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Last year was the first year that the current Caps underachieved in the postseason. What happened fifteen to twenty years ago is irrelelvant when assessing this group. They were on swingsets back then. Please don't tell me you are one of those guys that believes they magically acquire the baggage of the past teams because that for intellectually infantile. It has no basis in rational thought.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | September 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingpenn1 | September 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"that is for the intellectually infantile" typo

Posted by: Gambrills4 | September 27, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Kicking some McNaab and Redskin booty next Sunday! E.....A.....G......L......E......S..............EAGLES!!!!!!

Posted by: jpstuhr | September 27, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Don Burgandy is a true pro.

Maybe the prospect of Silverback protecting his blindside for the next 4 to 5 seasons will entice him to sign an extension.

Beyond that the cabinets are pretty bare...

Posted by: elfreako | September 27, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

For McNabb, trip to Philly is just business. For the Redskins, trip to Philly is just another loss.

Posted by: Theone9 | September 27, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Bored with McNabb 'till he signs a long-term deal here.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 27, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The way to fix the redskins offense is do what they did with houston texans: play like a no hurdle offense in which when they speed it up they were able to get into a groove and the offense were in sync. also take Joey galloway out of the line up because he is too slow and he is just bringing the offense down. Next switch brown to the left side and move Williams to the right side because they are real comfortable in the position. Let Mcnabb dictate the offense in which Mike want to run because he knows what to do.

The way to fix the defense is what everyone are saying all along move back to a 4-3 defense and mix up the coverage and all because we are allowing too many yards and all and if the DC don't like it then I don't know. Tell me what you think.

Posted by: ddyydd31021 | September 27, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

We'll have Trent this weekend. This week the
D will excel too against Vick. This is a big
Division away game. It's a must for us, and not Philly who will be playing scared after
their win. We'll be hungry this time. Shanny
and the team wannabees will be focused from the opening whistle. Our best players will be
on the field. Our real season starts this Sunday. Our second Division win will focus the
remainder of our team and our schedule. Hey,
we're still in first place in the NFC East!!!

Posted by: DeployedFan | September 27, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse