Posted at 3:13 PM ET, 12/20/2010

John Beck finally gets his chance--in practice

By Tarik El-Bashir

After 15 weeks of running the Redskins' scout team, quarterback John Beck will finally get his chance to run Washington's plays in practice. But that's not the only reason he figures to approach this week with more attentiveness and focus.

"Now you're one play away," Beck said Monday of his promotion to backup, which puts him behind starter Rex Grossman and in front of third stringer Donovan McNabb. "For the last [15] weeks, it's been two plays away. I've got to have two guys go down before I have my opportunity. This week it will be different. What's also nice will be getting reps with our plays."

Beck, 29, was acquired in August in a trade with Baltimore and promptly signed to a two-year, $2.25 million extension that will keep him in Washington through the 2012 season, a move that signaled Coach Mike Shanahan's belief in his potential.

"This opportunity is a good one for me, and it also good because I feel more comfortable with the offense now," Beck said. "My last opportunity was in preseason when I had only been here a couple of weeks."

Beck said he doesn't expect to play much, if at all, in the season's final two games, based on his conversations with Shanahan. And because of that, he knows it's imperative that he makes the most of his time in practice.

"From what I know, this is Rex's opportunity to prove himself," Beck said. "All I've been told at this point is that I'll be the No. 2 behind Rex the next two weeks."

Although it's unclear what role Beck will fill next season given the Redskins' murky situation at quarterback, he sees the promotion as another step toward redemption after failing to live up to expectations with Miami, the team that drafted him in 2007.

"That was a rough start in Miami years ago," Beck said. "I went to Miami, was supposed to be the guy to take over the reins and be the future there. After a bad season there, you get dropped into a hole and you have to dig your way out. That's what I've been doing these last couple of years."

By Tarik El-Bashir  | December 20, 2010; 3:13 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Have a nice trip: Sam Paulescu struggles at punter
Next: Injured Phillip Daniels will miss the rest of the season

Comments

Scoring 30 on the Cowpies is like betting on CR22 to drop an INT--The Pies have given up 30 or more points in 8 of their last 11 games.

Sorry if I'm not too impressed with Grossman's garbage-time padding of statistics.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 20, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Watching this team is getting very tiresome. You should not watch a team for nealy a full NFL season and have more questions about them then when the season started. Some answers need to be found in the course of the year, so far this team has only created more questions or negated any answers they may have found. The skins are a complete debacle right now. I raely have felt less confident about my team. If we find a way to win next year it will be truly amazing because this team show such little promise for the future.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 20, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm numb to the Skins right now...didn't even watch the game yesterday

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 20, 2010 8:52 AM |

brown boycotts the redskins

Posted by: hessone | December 20, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Is Tarik gonna start doing this blog for Reid? that would be good.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 20, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4

"Garbage time" implies that the game is out of reach, and the D is in a soft prevent mode. I don't think a tied game late in the fourth quarter is what most sane folks would call "garbage time."

You keep beating that drum though.

Posted by: swowra | December 20, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Is Tarik gonna start doing this blog for Reid? that would be good.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 20, 2010 3:29 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Reid was at the Shanahan press conference. I don't think we're going to be that lucky.

Posted by: smurff1 | December 20, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

You keep beating that drum though.

Posted by: swowra | December 20, 2010 3:34 PM

As many points as the Cowpies give up these days, it's garbage time right after kickoff--and a loss is a loss.

You keep being impressed with losses though.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 20, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Quick BEEPS...this poor Beck dude can't catch a break.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 20, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS PLAN SURVIVOR SERIES REUNION TO MARK FAN DEPRECIATION DAY

ASHBURN, VA -- The Washington Redskins are hoping to get a little “extra bounce” going into the off-season when they host a special Fan Depreciation Day on January 2 at FEDEX Field. The New York Giants will be in town to help mark the end of yet another merciless and miserable football season for the Redskins.

According to a team press release, “We’re going to bring back all of your favorite players for one more lap around the sidelines of the stadium.”

Fans will be able to cheer once final time for the dozens of players who suited up for the Redskins this season but then fell by the wayside for one reason or another -- including disgruntled and suspended defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, frequently injured running back Clinton Portis, and former starting quarterback Donovan McNabb -- who was signed to a multi-year deal and then benched for reasons that are still unclear to many fans.

The press release continued, “For better or worse, this may be the last time you will ever see these guys in a Redskins uniform.”

Additionally, the team will conduct a special competition to determine the “last fan standing” –- awarding anyone who is still in the stadium going into the 4th quarter of the expected debacle an opportunity to buy club section season tickets for the 2011 campaign.

And, if anyone is still in the stadium at the completion of the game –- they will be given the opportunity to sweep up the trash and turn off the lights -– before they are summarily fired and thrown out into the streets by team owner Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 20, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd imagine this Beck will fare about as well as would Glenn Beck if he QB'd the Skids.

And if Rex "Loozedaball" Grossman is the starter next season, fans are in for a lot of laughs.

Posted by: lilhornie | December 20, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

A few thoughts:
1) Shanny came in with a “retool and reload, but don’t rebuild” plan to win now while getting the roster in shape for the next few years. It was wishful thinking then. Time to rebuild.
2) In the past, Shanny did a great job of getting an old dog in Elway to adopt new tricks. Sure Elway had a great running game for the first time in his career. But more than that he actually improved his touch, his accuracy, and his ability to read defenses. Shanny couldn’t duplicate that coaching with McNabb.
3) That said, I think – like what I perceive was his failed strategy with AH92 – he’s trying to break MC5 down. Imagine MC5 saying “d*mn if Rex can do well in this offense, so can I…Coach give me another shot and I’ll do what you want.” It won’t happen, but nothing would surprise me.
4) Draft a QB. Rex is only playing to prove whether he can steward the position until the rookie is ready. He’s not more than a 1 season option. More likely a 4-8 game option.
5) If you look at the last 20 years, good QB play has been the single biggest difference for the Skins. We’ve had average to terrible O-lines, and good to rancid Defenses. We’ve always had bad kickers. We’ve rarely been a turnover producing or a sack-generating machine. Those handful of seasons where Gus, Brad Johnson, Brunell, or Todd Collins played well we’ve gone to the playoffs. The many years where we’ve had average to putrid QB play we haven’t. Good QB play can cover a multitude of sins, particularly for the offense-oriented coaches (Norv, Gibbs) who’ve made it to the tournament. The Skins struck out on Heath, Ramsey, and JCam. But we’ve got to keep swinging. In Denver Shanny needed to weather 1 losing season with an inexperienced Jay Cutler before Denver got to 9-7 with a terrible D. Draft a QB, more young linemen on both sides of the ball (just find some better than Heyer on O and 1-legged Maake on D). Find a safety better than KM41. Pick up solid performers at wideout and some more hungry RBs from free agency and waiver wires. We can live with a rebuild if the personnel seems promising.

Posted by: The_Sons_of_Billy_Kilmer | December 20, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4

Alan, agree Grossman prolly isn't the answer. What i DID like was seeing Kyle Shanahan's playbook all the way open. I had my faith at least temporarily restored in the guy who made Houston all but unstoppable.

I'd been blaming the lousy play calling on him. Seems McNabb didn't have a grasp of Lil Shanny's playbook.

Posted by: TheCork | December 20, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"I'm numb to the Skins right now...didn't even watch the game yesterday
Posted by: brownwood26 | December 20, 2010 8:52 AM |
brown boycotts the redskins"
Posted by: hessone

I'm with you, hessone. The whole affirmative action thing with Shanahan's son makes me sick to my stomach!

Posted by: lacy41 | December 20, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

"I'm numb to the Skins right now...didn't even watch the game yesterday
Posted by: brownwood26 | December 20, 2010 8:52 AM |
brown boycotts the redskins"
Posted by: hessone

Posted by: lacy41
____
What are you talking about? Shanahan brought McNabb to D.C.!!! This has nothing to do with affirmative action and everything to do with how Grossman ran the Shanahan system in practice and they wanted to see what he could do in a real game. Well the secret is out.. Grossman looked better. So boycott all you want but the Skins offense never scored more points and you missed it....

Posted by: sovine08 | December 21, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4
____
What garbage time??? the score was TIED until the last Dallas FG with under 2 minutes left.. There was NO GARBAGE TIME AT ALL!!! BTW if it's so easy to score on the Cowboys how many points did the Redskin OFFENSE score under McNabb when he played the Boys the first game AT HOME ???

Posted by: sovine08 | December 21, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

A few thoughts:
Posted by: The_Sons_of_Billy_Kilmer
______
Agree with everything you said except for number 3.. "failed strategy with AH92 – he’s trying to break MC5 down." AH92 was just not going to work for Shanahan no matter how Shanahan handled him. With AH92 it was a personal issue. With MC5 it was a skill issue. He just wasn't the right QB for Shanahan's system. The best news is Shanahan figured this out quickly. I expect Mike has learned and the Skins will be on a much better course for next season...

Posted by: sovine08 | December 21, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Grossman vs. McNabb:

How many balls did Grossman throw at his receiver's shoelaces, or one hop it to the laces?

McNabb hid alot of mechanics problems in Philly with mostly talented players surrounding him. Injuries, et al on the Redskins exposed those flaws...
Just go find tape of most times he short-hopped passes, and watch his footwork. With 99% of QBs it matters, Mr. Favre excepted.

Perhaps Andy Reid was willing to part with McNabb because those problems needed to be addressed, and McNabb didn't think it needed fixing?

Posted by: ey22314 | December 21, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 20, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

End result: Cowpies 33 Skins 30

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 21, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 20, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Sort of like the 59 points ( 35 in the first half ) the Egals dropped on our D?

End result: Cowpies 33 Skins 30