Posted at 10:09 AM ET, 01/ 4/2011

John Elway: Mike Shanahan will turn it around in DC

By Rick Maese and Mark Giannotto

Perhaps no NFL player is as familiar with Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan as John Elway The ups and downs of their relationship spanned more than a decade and included two Super Bowl wins.

Elway has had little to say publicly about his former coach since Shanahan was hired as the Redskins coach one year ago this week. On Monday, Shanahan said Elway's recent hiring to the Denver Broncos front office will serve that franchise well. Later Monday, night, Elway chatted about the Redskins at the Orange Bowl with The Post's Mark Giannotto.

Question: You were a quarterback with Mike Shanahan for much of your career. What have you thought about the situation with Donovan McNabb?

Elway: It's hard to see it from the outside, but obviously I know what a competitor Mike is and he's gonna do everything he can to win football games and so he's gonna make the best decision that he can for the football team. A lot of times, especially, when you have a quarterback with Donovan's stature, it's always difficult to try something new there. Like I said, I wasn't very close to it, but it's always unfortunate when you have a veteran who has such a great career like Donovan, that it happened the way it happened.

Question: What was the hardest part about Shanahan's system for you, and just from watching McNabb, do you think he struggled at all grasping anything?

Elway: Unless you're really on the inside, it's really hard to tell from the outside. But I think it was something; Mike likes to do a lot of different things on offense, likes to change things up quite a bit. So it is a challenge week in and week out. You really got to stay on top of it and know that that's the way Mike likes to do things. There's a lot of work behind it. But from the outside, it's hard to tell what happened. But I just know Mike is a very demanding and he's a very innovative offensive coach. As a quarterback, I loved it because it always gave us a chance to win football games and also keep the defense off balance."

Question: How do you think McNabb handled it all? How do you think Shanahan handled it all?

Elway: Donovan always seems to handle it well. He's pretty level-headed, and I think all the situations he's been in during his career, he's handled very well. I don't know from the outside. Obviously, any time you're gonna try to make a change, it's very difficult to make a change, especially when you're talking about the quarterback position and you're dealing with a guy that's had the experience that Donovan had. I don't know if there's a right way to do it or an easy way to do it. I'm sure Mike, looking back on it with everything that happened, would have probably liked to do it a different way. But it's never easy to do it. I don't know if there's a right way to do it.

Question: You got the two Super Bowls, but did your relationship with Mike ever get contentious? Did you ever have moments where you guys butted heads?

Elway: I think that's always the case with quarterbacks and coaches. I butted heads with Dan Reeves. Mike and I butted heads every once in a while, but we were always able to solve it. I think that's part of the deal, especially with quarterbacks, especially with veteran quarterbacks. They feel like they know the right way sometimes, and they're gonna butt heads. But we were always able to get through it. I knew Mike for so long and had such great respect for him that we always figured it out. He was good on both sides. He was give and take, also. But he's a tough guy and that's what makes him a good coach. I was lucky to have him in Denver and be able to play the four years I got to play with him as the head coach.

Question: Do you think he'll be able to turn things around in Washington?

Elway: I would think so. Yeah, I would think that he would. Obviously, you walk in there and everything's new and it's a new system. It wasn't like it was, it's gonna take a while to rebuild that team, but if anybody can do it, he can. He's a great offensive mind and a great coach.

By Rick Maese and Mark Giannotto  | January 4, 2011; 10:09 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Five Redskins need surgery
Next: London Fletcher: still tackling after all these years

Comments

Sounds like a lot of "no comment" to me...

Posted by: edvar | January 4, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I think comments from Cutler might be more enlightening. Maybe not.

Elway is fresh on the brain.

Man - who is keeping the Temp. up so high in the office?! idiots.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 4, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 4, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I thought the only sock puppets were PlayAction and myself? Anyways, wanna be in our gang?

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Denver wants a second round pick for Orton huh? Wonder who will pay that?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Shanahan does NOT draft a QB in the first round.

According to John Keim, in his last nine drafts in Denver:

1. Shanahan made a trade involving a first-round pick six times. He made no such trades in his first five drafts.

2 His highest two picks in Denver were quarterback Jay Cutler (11th) in 2006 and tackle Ryan Clady (12th) in 2008. We know he took another tackle, Trent Williams, (4th) with the Skins.

Cutler is his anomaly high draft pick QB. Shanahan's first round picks in his last 10 years in Denver were: 2 WRs, 2 LBs, 2 CBs, 2 OLs, and 1 DE, and 1 QB. With the Skins, he took 1 OL.

For his starting QBs in Denver, Shanahan inherited John Elway, drafted Brian Greise in the 3rd round and obtained Jake Plummer and Bubby Brister as a free agents.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

The answer: Cam Newton.

My point is that each of the top 4-5 quarterback prospects offers something good, Luck being the best as he has everything.

We'd do well to have any of them as they'd throw as many low balls as McNabb and picks as Rex as rookies.

It's how they project into the future as vets that's the tricky part.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse
_______

We had this same discussion a couple weeks ago. Newton is a guy that I have watched, so I feel qualified to comment. He seems to have good accuracy and decision-making, but he still makes me nervous b/c of the history of college QBs who've only started one year, plus the obvious spread offense concern. But to me, the bigger issue with Netwon is that a fundamental part of his game is his running ability, and not necessarily a Michael Vick-style breakaway. Cam will sometimes barrel right through the interior gaps on either a designed play or when he gave up on the WRs really quickly, which he certainly won't be able to do with regularity in the NFL. Since he can't do the senior bowl, I'll be very anxious to see him throw the route tree at the combine (for what that's worth, but it's all we will be able to see). I think of Cam as a Vince Young (in a football sense; not mentally) with a more accurate arm. As great as Cam is, I'm not sure his strengths will be able to be fully maximized in the NFL. I think alot of it depends on how well he's able to read a defense, be patient, and accurately find his #2 or #3 option without instantly improvizing, and I don't think really did that in college, and probably didn't in high school either.

Not saying he wouldn't be worth a shot if he's available at #10, but I think we all would need to be prepared for him being something of a project if Shanny grabs him. Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing, though - a little patience by the RI crowd, too.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | January 4, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Which is why my money is on Locker being the #10 pick by the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse
-------------
I wouldn't have a problem with it, but if they're anything below 90% certain, bolster a line for now, in my opinion.

Honestly I haven't watched enough of any of the qbs enough to have a strong opinion. But what I love about the locker potential is the fact that he was the consensus #1 last year and now he's potentially underrated. For those that fault him for going back to school and say he's the next leinart, I think you need to realize leinart is a unique sort of frontrunner, and I wouldn't sully locker's name with any association to matty not ice.

Posted by: AdamCr | January 4, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

If Luck comes out of school, they should do everything they can to land him.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 4, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to watching Mallet tonight. I saw him a few times this year and he has a great arm but made a few bad decisions. He threw three interceptions against Alabama and looked worse as the game went on. Still, he made Georgia look foolish, which isn't really saying much this past season I suppose.

Posted by: will_ga | January 4, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Are there any 2nd or 3rd year QB's sitting on an NFL sideline that we can get(for AH or DM) so we can keep/use our pick on a big reciever or O-lineman??

Since we gave up picks for DM we should try to get a least another QB or another draft pick for him. Even a late round pick would be better than nothing. Maybe we can get a 4th or 5th for AH in the process also...

I would really like for us to use that 10th for a position player instead of an unproven QB.

Posted by: TEliasB | January 4, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

John Elway: Mike Shanahan will turn it around in DC

By Rick Maese and Mark Giannotto | January 4, 2011; 10:09 AM ET

Turn what around? Everything is fine here.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

redskinhead

Of the QB's that were drafted last year, there's only one guy who made a significant impact...

They do play more than one year, don't they?

Rex is in year 8, McNabb year 12.

Brees is 30 as is Brady.

Colt McCoy was said not to be NFL material--yet, dude has proven he can play and is a starter.

Tim Tebow was said to be a 'gimmick' spread quarterback with a poor left-handed delivery--he's change his delivery and acquitted himself well in his two games as a starter.

Jimmy Clausen, like Brady Quinn, is just proof that Notre Dame has lost touch with the football universe--but most 1st year quarterback's look like they've lost touch, don't they.

Sam Bradford was supposed to be 'brittle' and have a 'noodle-arm'--but now, folks are likening him to Troy Aikman.

Ultimately, the jury is out on these guys as they've only been in the NFL for 5 months.

Looking forward, the top quarterbacks in this year's class all grade out better than the players I've listed ('cept Bradford).

An using 1 pick to draft one only means the 2nd-7th rounder go to defensive/offensive lineman not acquired in FA.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 10:30 AM

Where ya been monk? Thought I lost one of my sock puppets in the dryer!

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

moe, brady is 33...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

bean

My point is that you draft a guy thinking to build around him, not for the year you draft him.

The hard question is, where will Newton/Luck/Mallett/Locker etc. be 5 year's from now?

Too, how do you know if there's not another Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Freeman, Flacco, Ryan, Roethlisberger somewhere other than round 1?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Moe,
If I didn't know anything at all about the college quarterbacks, I can tell by just the uncertainty on the RI blog that there's a lot of risk out there. I think Luck is the real deal and if the Redskins had a shot, they should take him. The rest of the guys coming out (or possibly coming out) have question marks. Rewind to last year's draft and think about the Bradford discussion. He seemed like the closest thing to a sure thing and then everyone else was a question mark. Even so, there were so many people on this blog wanting Clausen, Tebow or McCoy. Of the QB's that were drafted last year, there's only one guy who made a significant impact, but history has taught us nothing. Here we are again this year ranting that we need to draft a QB.

Clearly, the offensive line that gave up 46 sacks this year can be shored up with veterans since that plan worked so well last year. (I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I think Jammal Brown could have appeared in True Grit with the hitch he has in his giddyup). Obviously, the defense that was 31st in the league is going to be rock solid without the benefit of a bona fide nose tackle.

I've said it before and will say it again, "you rebuild teams up front first". The rebuilding process on the offensive and defensive lines is no where near being complete. Ignore the bright lights and whirring noises associated with pretty boy QB's and focus on the bulls in the trenches that will win games...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 10:38 AM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Being from the outside, I am not sure why this is news.....

Posted by: KDSmallJr | January 4, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

My those were cautious comments by Elway. Almost as if he wanted to throw Shanny under the bus, but was too polite to do it ... something which hasn't stopped Shanny on certain players this season.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 4, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 10:30 AM

Where ya been monk? Thought I lost one of my sock puppets in the dryer!

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that lint trap is a b*tch!

The roof of the monestary caved in from all the snow, we closed for a little while, Pokey ate too much yellow snow, you know, normal stuff keeping away from the computer!

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 10:30 AM

Where ya been monk? Thought I lost one of my sock puppets in the dryer!

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that lint trap is a b*tch!

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 10:30 AM

Where ya been monk? Thought I lost one of my sock puppets in the dryer!

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that lint trap is a b*tch!

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 4, 2011 11:08 AM

It doesn't sound that way to me at all. He said some pretty nice things about Shanny and his offensive ingenuity. He also said that Shanny is determined to win...that's what you want in the NFL.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

He threw reeves under the bus (if anybody).

He is too smart to say anything too negative about McNabb. You do that, and you are evil incarnate in some quarters. "Mike likes to keep adjusting and adding". Break the code folks.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 4, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that lint trap is a b*tch!

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 11:11 AM

Well good thing that you're back...we can get back to our usual schtick.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

And I agree, worry about the QB later. It is no longer the case that a rookie QB can't win, Big Ben and Sanchez have taken teams deep into the playoffs as rookies. Draft the less glamorous positions and then worry about the QB, either through free agency or a roll of the dice (as the Jets did with Sanchez).

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 4, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Well if Elway said so, then its gotta be true.

Even though I don't care for the dude, I liked Schlereth's take on the all-seeing, all-knowing, Mike 'God HC' Shanahan better.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 4, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

That said, I'm out....will not be returning.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 4, 2011 9:56 AM

Your hysterical hyperbole will be missed. I do hope you stomped your foot, pouted and then turned on your heel after hitting the submit button. You know, for effect.

Posted by: MrChip1 | January 4, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Read between the lines...he said other coaches may have an opportunity to get other gigs...

that's coachspeak for...find another job or I'll fire you!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 3, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

no...I'm pretty sure he's saying "I"m keeping you guys" Granted MS isn't the most forthcoming with the media on week-to-week personnel matters, but he's not going to say "I'm keeping them all" and then start doling out pink slips. I'm OK with this- except for Danny Smith.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 4, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

sam_spg94 - Luck, Newton, Mallett, and possibly Locker comes off the board before we pick at #10.

I would sell the farm to get Luck.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 3, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

First, I'd bet anything short of my condo or my dog that sam_spg94's scenario is wrong- at best 2 QB's will come off the board in the top 9.

Secondly, Diesel- I'm glad you're drinking the Luck Kool Aid but it is precisely this type of thinking that has us mortgaged to the hilt. Yea, he will probably be a stud but we cannot afford him. Would you really give up this year's 1st and 2nd as well as next year's 1st for the kid, because that's about what it would take to move from 10 to 1. I would not. As RedskinHead said, we must build from the trenches. Besides, the Shannys can find and develop a good QB in the mid-late rounds.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 4, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

My draft plan (assuming trade partners)- trade the 10 for a late 1st/late 2nd. Trade 5 and 92 for 4th/5th rounders. Take Justin Blackmon with the late 1st, best interior O-lineman with one 2nd, best defensive player with the other 2nd, draft linemen, LB's and a QB in the mid-late rounds.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 4, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 4, 2011 11:18 AM
------------------------------------------
Both of those QB's you mentioned were playing on teams with top ten defenses. The Redskins were something like 28th in the league. Do you honestly think a rookie QB could get the Redskins to the playoffs next year? I simply don't understand the logic in drafting a QB when your offensive line was in the bottom five and your defense was in the bottom five. How does a QB fix that?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Three RICHMOND SPIDERS the scouts should look at this off-season.

ILB - ERIC McBRIDE
DE 3-4 - MARTIN PARKER
CB/KR - JUSTIN ROGERS

I think only ROGERS has a shot at being a low round pick. The others FA's.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 4, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

All these feel-good articles about Shanahan had a familiar feel... now I remember why:

Redskins players react positively to Zorn hiring

By Andy Fenelon | NFL.com

KO OLINA, Hawaii -- When tight end Chris Cooley and long snapper Ethan Albright, two of the three Washington Redskins' Pro Bowl representatives, learned of the hiring of Jim Zorn as their new head coach Saturday, the first person they tracked down was Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

"I think he's going to be an excellent coach," said Hasselbeck, who had worked closely with Zorn since 2001, when Zorn became Seattle's quarterbacks coach. "But I told the guys here (in Hawaii) they better expect to work."

Cooley and Albright both appeared genuinely excited about Zorn replacing Joe Gibbs as their head coach. Albright heard the news while sitting poolside with his 2-year-old son at the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa. Cooley heard shortly thereafter.

...Hasselbeck believes Zorn is more than prepared for the task he inherits in Washington because of how Holmgren has prepared him.

"Mike's style is that he coaches his coaches. He makes them leaders, creative guys," Hasselbeck said. "He expects his position coaches to coach the players, and he allows those guys to flourish and grow.

"And he's hard on his coaches, very, very demanding. He's demanding of his players, but even more demanding of his coaches."

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I do have to say the thing I like about this draft is that there are 10 players I wouldn't mind having.

Marcel Dareus
Nick Fairley
Adrian Claiborne
Andrew Luck
A.J. Green
Justin Blackmon
Julio Jones
Janoris Jenkins
Patrick Peterson
Mike Pouncy

If we end up with one of those guys I'd be happy.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 4, 2011 11:18 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 11:33 AM
------------------------------------------
Sorry about my rant. Had I read all of your post I would have found you were basically saying the same thing I was.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Head. This draft must yield a playmaker (Blackmon, Julio, etc), multiple men of the trenches (at least 1 OG, a C, maybe a DE/NT, altho I think Bryant could be our Nose) and some other pieces for depth (OT, DB, LB). QB is important and should be addressed...in the 3rd-5th round and/or via free agency, altho I don't know off the top of my head who will be available.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 4, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 4, 2011 11:18 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Don't you guys know...........we-e-e've got the GROSS man, 333 yards per, 75% completion rate, and a guaranteed three game changing TO's [ints, strip fumbles] per game.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 4, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Jake Plummer went 13-3 with Shanahan and doesn't have nice things to say about the original REDFACE - m shanahan.

Posted by: bangkokben | January 4, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if anyone has ever mentioned this in the history of RI.

But did you guys know that Elway never won a Superbowl w/o Shanahan, or that Shanahan hasn't won one since.

This is news to me.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Alan, that is a ridiculous comparison. Jim Zorn had never been more than a Quarterbacks Coach; Mike Shanahan has almost 2 decades at the helm, the 2nd best winning % of active coaches and 2 Super Bowl rings. But yes, you are correct on one thing- both coaches to be had former players endorsing them. Big surprise.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 4, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Marcel Dareus
Nick Fairley
Adrian Claiborne
Andrew Luck
A.J. Green
Justin Blackmon
Julio Jones
Janoris Jenkins
Patrick Peterson
Mike Pouncy

If we end up with one of those guys I'd be happy.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

And very luck....y too. Maybe POUNCEY will fall to us.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 4, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I thought of a good metaphor for the NFC West on the drive in to work this morning.

Remember that Simpsons episode where they have a fire drill at the power plant, and everyone starts freaking out and no one can figure out how to get out of the building? Homer eventually finds an exit, then barricades the door behind him and declares himself the winner.

That.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 4, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

This is news to me.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2011 11:43 AM

Surely this has the invisible sarcastic font that doesn't register on my computer.

Posted by: bangkokben | January 4, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Isn't John Elway that DORK that we creamed in the Superbowl?

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 4, 2011 11:44 AM

Ridiculous comparison? They were both hired as Skins HCs, and they both achieved 0.375 winning percentages with the Skins. So far, they're pretty similar in burgundy and gold.

Spouting off Shanahan's decades old accomplishments with previous teams is like spouting off McNabb's accomplishments with the Eagles.... doesn't mean much right now.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

This is news to me.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

It's news to me too. And who is this 'John Elway' person everyone is talking about!

Posted by: monk811 | January 4, 2011 11:53 AM | Report abuse

BTW guys, you know someone really really good is going to fall to us at 10. It happens every year. You get some dumb team like Buffalo or Oakland that poops the bed and picks some potential bust waaaay too high. I'm guessing we land either A.J. Green or Marcel Dareus.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 4, 2011 11:44 AM

Don't give him so much credit. He wasn't correct on this comparison. The players endorsed Zorn before they met him. The players are now endorsing Shanahan after they've played for him a year.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

One thing Elway is clear about though, is that "it's hard to tell from the outside".

Posted by: poeticfire | January 4, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Alan4,
The Hasselbeck interview is a riot. Oh, hindsight, you wretched deflator of unjustified exuberance...

To me, Shanahan is a decent coach. I am happy with him. I think he has shown he is not perfect in his first season here in Washington.

He's got the players playing hard-nosed, never-give-up football, which is what I love the most about him as a coach. The way the Redskins have won in overtime, playing it out until the last shows a toughness they haven't had in awhile.

The play calling has got to improve, however. When Shanahan came to Washington he talked about adjusting the scheme to fit his personnel. I haven't seen enough of that. He's got two pass catching tight ends and we did see Davis get a few more balls toward the end of the season, but it's not enough.

In dealing with players, I think Shanahan is an egotistical my-way-or-the-highway kind of coach. What good coach isn't? We can hate him for it as I am sure Haynesworth does, but as long as he seems to be fair about his expectations, I personally don't have a problem with it. I think all of this "I said, he said" in the media is a crock from players and agents trying to protect their own fragile egos. The bottom line is the coach ain't always right but he is always the coach and that makes him the guy who makes the decisions. Players can like those apples or not, but they are not going to change things by whining in the media - as Shanahan has demonstrated.

All in all, we're better off than we have been since Gibbs. I like the link to the past that Bruce Allen brings and I don't buy for a moment that he doesn't have a stronger hand in personnel than people are saying.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather take Tyrod Taylor in the 7th than Cam Newton in the 1st.

They will both take the same amount of time to develop into pro's and there wouldn't be pressure to put Taylor in before he was ready.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 4, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 11:56 AM

Don't be so obtuse. This article is about a former player endorsing Shanahan (albeit mildly).

HOF WR Steve Largent gave a much more full-throated defense of Zorn after his 2 years here than Shanahan is getting from Elway in this article.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 11:52 AM

And you know what else? They both have two arms, two legs and one d1ck! This is uncanny how similar they are. They're practically clones of each other! Two pees in a pod. Brothers of a different mother.

Zorn never wore burgundy and gold. He was strictly a maroon and black guy.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the general concensus is on Shanahan as coach here? I for one am happy he is here and believe he can turn it around. Not sure anybody else would have come in here and turned a 4-12 team into a 11-5 team and make the playoffs. We won some close games, lost some close ones and got blown out in a few. We installed a new system on O and D and had a new QB, no running back, barely any WR. We had the 31st defense and still had 2 more wins than last year. I think if by year 3 we still are at or below 8-8 that its time to give up on Shanny, but not after 1 season after inheriting a mess. Lets see if some of "his guys" from Denver or Houston come here via FAgency that know the system. Guys that aren't huge names but believe in MS and that will play for him. I think those are the guys we will pick up.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 4, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

They both have ..one d1ck!

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 12:01 PM

Don't lob easy ones, beep-beep. I'll let this one go.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Co-sign on that... I'd be interested in Robert Quinn as well, if he's there at #10. We just have to be smart about not jumping on a value pick if it isn't a good fit for us (i.e. be willing to trade out of that spot to the value doesn't match the need).

Posted by: PDXskin | January 4, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The players are now endorsing Shanahan after they've played for him a year.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 11:56 AM

This article is about a former player endorsing Shanahan (albeit mildly).

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 12:01 PM

There have been several posts up here with players endorsing Shanahan. Haven't you read them? Here's an overview from Keim:

"The locker room was strangely upbeat. Could be because the season was over and they’re a little bit relieved. But there’s no doubt it was more upbeat than after any loss I’ve seen in a while. I think it helps that they know who’s in charge; they trust him and they like the direction they’re headed."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/01/five-thoughts-giants-17-redskins-14#ixzz1A5TCju4x

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

If Shanahan goes 8-8 as many here are predicting, he will have a 2 year record of 14-18 compared to Zorn's 12-20 record here.

If Shanahan underachieves slightly next year, he could be very well have an identical record here as Zorn.

Who thinks Snyder will give Shanahan a 3rd year if he gets the exact same results in 2 years that Zorn was getting?

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

The offensive line is not bad. By the end of the year, they were looking pretty good. Injuries derailed jamaal brown, but if he's indeed healthy as he said he was at season's end, then don't be surprised to see this exact starting five start out next season yet again; and be good, too.

The line excuse was convenient until torain started ripping off 100 yard games like it was nothing and grossman started outplaying our fearless leader Donovan mcnabb. And this is Rex effing grossman we're talking about.

We're in a great spot to draft a top QB. Last year we reinforced the line. This season we weeded out the bad eggs. This offseason we grab the big fish and develop them. Let's hope shanahan does his homework better on a prospective rookie QB than he did on mcnabb.

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Regarding previous comments about trading up for Luck - I agree he is the only sure thing QB in this draft (ala Bradford, Ryan, Manning, etc), and we are in a position where the only QB we would draft in Rnd 1 should be of the "sure thing" sort.

That being said, if Shanny decides to go for it, and with Carolina currently running a 4-3 (could change with new coach), I can't help but think our #10 overall, plus Haynesworth (potentially elite 4-3 DT), plus Carter (servicable 4-3 DE) would be at least somewhat appealing to their new regime. Heck, we could throw in McNubb too, if they are looking for a servicable veteran QB to take the pressure off Clausen for a year or two.

Posted by: PDXskin | January 4, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

We need a volume upgrade of speed and youth. Please get out of this pick and amass some 2nd and 4th round football players.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | January 4, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Beep-beep, this is for you:

Players stick up for Washington coach Jim Zorn

Oct 2009
By The Washington Post

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — In the moments immediately after another unsettling defeat that prompted the Washington Redskins to question much about themselves, many team leaders were united on this: Changing the head coach alone will not solve their problems.

The job status of former Seahawks assistant coach Jim Zorn, the Redskins' second-year coach, is expected to remain a topic of speculation as Redskins owner Daniel Snyder's team again took another step in a wrong direction.

"Coach Zorn is such a cool person, such a great guy, you want to go out there and lay everything on the line for him," said DeAngelo Hall. "We've lost because we've had some things happen, we don't always execute the way we have to, but that's not on Coach Zorn."

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Some things to consider drafting a QB and with Bradford last year. first, ST.Louis tried like hell to get out of that #1 slot and found no takers. They were not sure about Bradford and didn't want to pay him all that money, just like all the other clubs who didn't want to trade into that spot. When "stuck" with that pick, they stuck to their draft board and drafted best player. Which brings me to my next point. Carolina wants no part of paying that first choice(or anyone else the last year) big money, unless it is Luck. The gorilla in the corner is the CBA. If they have one in place, there is certain to be a wage scale for rookies on it. Carolina takes luck or anyone else they desire because then the cheapskates don't have to overpay anymore for that pick.... If not, I say any team willing to trade into that spot, that has deep pockets, that has an owner that always wants to win the off-season superbowl, then there is a chance we can trade up to get him. I'd think they take cooley and a number one in a heartbeat to trade spots with us, but only if they have to pay top dollar still for that #1 pick.CBA is crucial in this years draft to the teams near top picks...I live in Charlotte, this team can be had with that pick because they have totally, from the coach down, cleared thier books of all big money and are in total rebuilding mode. Cooley would sell alot of jerseys here and his contract is very tradable. CBA determines more so to skins then any other team what they will do. new CBA means alot of those restricted are FA and alot of players can be bought. hopefully when synder's money is spent again, it isn't for the big names but solid, on the rise players who can plug some holes on the lines. I know this, we got easily the worst safety play i have ever seen on an NFL field so they need to bring in at least two solid vets there to throw in with landry. Also, thanks for the memories sellers,FAT AL, Mcnabb, santana, rabach, rocky, westbrook, daniels, portis and rogers. You are now part of the problem and not the solution! Should be interesting but we have to get younger and deeper with youth, until we do, we tread water and it sucks doing that 16 games at a time....

Posted by: klangley69 | January 4, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

some good humor up here last night, guys wanting to trade the farm for a qb in the upcoming draft, which makes sense, because in reality, this team is just 1 player away, no other needs other than a top notch qb...but this was my favorite

"I've wondered if MS/KS should use Dockery more in the NFC East games"

didn't they JUST play the giants, and 2 games ago didn't they play the cowboys..and did DDock play in either game....sometimes I wonder how people post here without outside help...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Beantown, if you're going to be so high and mighty, maybe you should look at the facts first.

DD was only active in 5 games this season...
week 1 Girls DD started win
Week 2 Texans DD started loss
week 3 RAms Lickn started loss
week 4 Iggles Lickn started win
week 11 Tenn lickn started win

My point was that when Skins play a team with power rushers, sometimes the small quick OG might not hold up as well, especially when we are in passing situations.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 4, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 12:14 PM

Me. Because I think Dan Snyder has finally figured out that 1) you can't get the hook out so quickly, and 2) he himself bears responsibility for the low state from which the team is recovering.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 4, 2011 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2011 12:20 PM
------------------------------------------
Have you been watching the same team I have been watching? This offensive line is bad.

-I think Trent Williams is a bright spot and a guy who is improving, but I've got doubts about almost everyone else on that line.

-I thought J. Brown was going to be good, but his hip is clearly still bothering him and he really doesn't have the mobility he has had in the past.

-Rabach just doesn't move people and there have been times this year when he has been little more than a speed bump for nose tackles.

-Lichtensteiger has played better, but, much like Rabach, he still gets overpowered. He and Williams don't always seem to be on the same page with blitz pickups, either.

-Will Montgomery has played okay. Of the interior three he is clearly the strongest and I wonder if he could ultimately end up being the center.

This is still an offensive line that gave up 46 sacks this year and allowed the quarterback to get hit 108 times. One of their missed blocks contributed directly to a fumble in the last game. This offensive line is not "pretty good".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Didn't read ur post PDX until afer my post , but you are on the right track. the only problem i see with Carolina is who they bring in as next coach determines alot of what they do. Also for those of you who think we keep santana and add another good receiver. Steve Smith will not be with this team next year but is 32. Do we go after him??? I hope not but we know dannyboy can't help himself sometimes

Posted by: klangley69 | January 4, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Cosign freak.

If shanahan goes 8-8 next year, then it's still a marked improvement over where we were. The difference between shanahan and Zorn is that Zorn took over a playoff team, while shanahan took over a team driven chest deep into the ground.

Shanahan wasnt without his mistakes this year (most notably mcnabb) but he has this team headed in the right direction.

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 4, 2011 11:44 AM

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Alan, you really are an idiot if you do not thinkpast experience applies and that Shanny is a far better coach and has better commanf of the team than Zorn ever had. In 2008 Zorn went 8-8 inheriting the team from Joe Gibbs. In 2009 he went 4-12 inheriting the team from himself. Shanny inherited a debacle of a team which lacked discipline, on the last 3 games of the season played backups and still went 6-10.

I'm not saying Shanny is a perfect coach, but holding a grudge against a decision he made to bench DM5 is just dumb and causes you to make riduclous comparisons to Zorn and Shannahan.

Let's atleast support the coach for a while and see where he leads us. The players are.

HTTR

Posted by: rodskin | January 4, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

psps23

Amen.

And no mattah what folks say, 6-10 is an improvement over the mess Zorn left behind.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Saw this kid play several times this year and he is a BIG TIME player from a I-AA school. http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2011-Big-Board/Will-Rackley.html

One of the Lehigh coaches told me that a Houston Texans scout was in recently and said "Rackley would start for us right now."

Seems like one to consider in the middle rounds...great feet and excellent technique. Strong too.

Posted by: SkinsFanNYC | January 4, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 4, 2011 12:34 PM
------------------------------------------
Get your point but I think you're just proving that Lichtensteiger isn't much of a guard, either. He just can't move people. I think he uses his leverage as much as possible, but at the end of the day the guy just doesn't have the horsepower. Frankly, neither does Rabach. The team needs to draft some interior linemen. I think another tackle would be a swell idea also.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

cool, great guy and nice are not the way we describe coaches like Belicheck, Parcells, Tomlin, John Gruden, Cowher.

I do believe Zorn is cool and nice, but what is it that seperates good leaders from great leaders? Sometimes being the hard ars. Zorn was a friend, he wasnt their leader. It is said by some, "it is lonely at the top," I'm sure in part because of hard decisions to make. I would love to have Belicheck as the Redskins coach, but I dont think anyone in NE would descibe him as cool or nice.

Posted by: rodskin | January 4, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Redskinhead,

The missed block was by Trent williams. He's not getting upgraded. Liehtensteiger and Montgomery were leaps and bounds better at seasons end than at the beginning. They improved. A lot. That happens with young players. You've got to have patience. They were plowing the road for torain late in the season; not just with mediocre blocks either. I've had several instances were kory was spotted running down linebackers in open space ten yards downfield on screens and stretch runs. He was playing very well by the end of the season. These guys are young. People seem to forget that just because they weren't redskins draft picks.

Yes, rabach can be upgraded. But it's not that big of a concern that his team should forego a quality starting qb prospect at the 10th spot because we want to upgrade from an average starting center to a potentially dominant one.

Brown is the biggest concern, but at the end of the season he was playing much better. If he isn't healthy, then yes, we need an upgrade.
But even then we don't need to sacrifice a 10th pick for a RT. At this point, the relative need is at QB more than any other position on he offensive side of the ball.

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I will say it again the only o-line player worth a top 10 is LT, we did that last year.

Go look at the drafts for the last 20 years the amount of o-line players taken in the top 10 that were not LT can be counted on half of one hand.

I'm not saying you have to go QB there are other options but no o-line at #10

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

the only turning shanny will do in dc is turning away good free agents.the only reason a player will come here is for the money,same as its always been,not to play foe shanny.any player with a backbone and pride,would not want to come here and be disrespected by this clown,who i do think has a tinge of racism in him,no matter what all of you soft as-,let him talk to you anyway he wants to,sports reporters have to say,or you shanny loving fans for that matter.that right me,billydee,is still sticking by what i said from day one!this guy and his clownish coaches are not the answer,they will make this franchise a little worse off than before,just wait and see.you know elway is going to speak up for his boy,because they are similar

Posted by: billydee123 | January 4, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billydee123 | January 4, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billydee123 | January 4, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

the only turning shanny will do in dc is turning away good free agents.the only reason a player will come here is for the money,same as its always been,not to play foe shanny.any player with a backbone and pride,would not want to come here and be disrespected by this clown,who i do think has a tinge of racism in him,no matter what all of you soft as-,let him talk to you anyway he wants to,sports reporters have to say,or you shanny loving fans for that matter.thats right me,billydee,is still sticking by what i said from day one!this guy and his clownish coaches are not the answer,they will make this franchise a little worse off than before,just wait and see.you know elway is going to speak up for his boy,because they are similar

Posted by: billydee123 | January 4, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billydee123 | January 4, 2011 1:14 PM |

Good job idiot not only was your post full of sh-t you posted it 4 times take your whiny a$$ somewhere else.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The missed block was by Trent williams.

Do the folks who want to draft o-line @ 10 realize that both Brown and Williams are young 1st rounders?

What, we are to use each and every pick on a LT now?

Geez......

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billydee123 | January 4, 2011 1:14 PM |

I find it fascinating that some of you football-ignorant feminist wussies are so concerned with the feelings of crappy 4-2 and 6-10 wealthy players.

Billy? I am so sure you're right that when the Skins offer a first round QB upwards of 30-40 million in guaranteed dollars and write "F you dive ass!" on the memo field of the check, it will still be deposited.

This isn't a democracy!!!!!!!!!

This is pro-football where arms and legs are snapped in two and men are knocked unconscious regularly if not paralyzed.

I WANT my coach to be a dick.

I WANT my coach to make comfortable, millionaire players uncomfortable.

I WANT my coach to make it clear, in no uncertain terms, that HE'S THE BOSS.

You want to feel for huge people that cry when someone says something that might come off as abrasive or heaven forbid - insulting?

Go watch The Biggest Loser, loser.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | January 4, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

psps23 comes back from the moutains and is spitting off crazy talk...

The 2007 Redskins team was not a REAL playoff team. Sure they made it to the playoffs, but that was because of the spirit of ST21 and Todd Collins.

Next, the 2010 OLine is really not much better than the 2009 OLine.

And maybe McNAbb would have been getting better too, if they continued to let him play.But at the end this situation was bound to bomb because the QB is older than the OC and is stuck in his ways as longtime established vets are.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Folks who want the 320 pound Pouncey don't get that Shanny likes light athletic guys.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

But, Moe.

Don't you want the 340lb. Carl Nicks?

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

This isn't a democracy!!!!!!!!!

I WANT my coach to be a dick.

I WANT my coach to make comfortable, millionaire players uncomfortable.

I WANT my coach to make it clear, in no uncertain terms, that HE'S THE BOSS.

Go watch The Biggest Loser, loser.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | January 4, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign. I think in year 2 this team goes 10-6.

Are we still going out for steaks?

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2011 1:32 PM

Did you just watch Angels in the Outfield over the holidays 4th?

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying you have to go QB there are other options but no o-line at #10

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Flounder, thanks for saying that. I agree 100%. 10 is WAY too high for an OL other than a LT.

Posted by: wagman1 | January 4, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying you have to go QB there are other options but no o-line at #10

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wagman1 | January 4, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse
Why do ya'll say that.

I think it is extremely important to have someone at center who holds his ground.

How much better would this team be with an elite athlete in the middle, not collapsing in the middle like the Metrodome?

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Nobody wanted mcnabb to succeed more than I did. I was one of his biggest supporters early on. Dude just couldn't cut it here. He wasn't even mediocre; he was bad.

The 2009 line doesn't even sniff the 2010 line. 2009 line was an embarrassment to professional athletes. The 2010 line is head and shoulders better on every spot except for center. The best lineman from 2009 was beaten out fair and square on the field for his starting spot. That should tell you everything you need to know about the 2009 line.

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Why do ya'll say that.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2011 1:42 PM |

You can get top notch C later in the draft if you want to draft a C then trade back and do it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

This isn't a democracy!!!!!!!!!

I WANT my coach to be a dick.

I WANT my coach to make comfortable, millionaire players uncomfortable.

I WANT my coach to make it clear, in no uncertain terms, that HE'S THE BOSS.

Go watch The Biggest Loser, loser.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | January 4, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign. I think in year 2 this team goes 10-6.

Are we still going out for steaks?

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2011 1:35 PM |

Yeah if I lose my bet.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | January 4, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Both lines need help, also linebacker, free safety, running back, wide receiver, QB also,

TRADE DOWN

Posted by: Pepper5 | January 4, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

All good points and I agree. Just think you can find a good center and he doesn't have to be a top 10 pick. If they could trade down and get more picks(always easier said then done) then go for it.

Posted by: wagman1 | January 4, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Any QB you draft in the first round is a crapshoot. Could be boom....could be bust, but that's not a reason not to pick one if you need one.

Mike Greenberg made a good point this morning...

Mallett, Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Luck...they may be good but who is a franchise QB?

Posted by: rickyroge | January 4, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | January 4, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Good point. Right now, Most people's money is riding on Luck.

Posted by: wagman1 | January 4, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

We have not built an adequate support system for a Rookie QB

HOWEVER,

It is possible to get better and support a Rookie QB with a better line and weapons.

JUST DO IT!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 4, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Follow the leader to the new post. Follow

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Look, I am not saying the Redskins need to pick an offensive lineman with the tenth pick. I am saying they trade down for multiple picks, pick a nose tackle, or, yes, they draft another left tackle. I am saying they definitely don't need to pick a quarterback with all of the holes they need to fill.

Moe, Brown is not under contract. The team will need to re-sign him, he wants to get paid, and he's not 100%. I don't think it is a sure thing that he will be back.

Psp, T. Williams did miss Osi the first time. The second time, when Osi came inside, it looked to me like Williams was looking for help from Lichtensteiger because he locked on to the guy who was on his outside shoulder. Lichtensteiger was busy helping Rabach. I agree that Lichtensteiger does a pretty good job getting to the second level. The problem is, when he has someone in front of him on the first level he is going to end up on his buttocks unless he gets help. You want to know who has been dominated on the offensive line? Look at the end of any game at FedEx and see who has grass stains on their backs. It's disgraceful. This offensive line is not good.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

By the way, for those that didn't realize it, Santana Moss led the NFC east in receptions and yards for a Wr. He was 4th in the nfl in receptions and 10th in yards. He also had 6 Tds.

Armstrong finished with over 800 yards as a no. 2. And he was top 5 in ypc.

Cooley finished top 30 in the NFL for receptions. That's 3 players on the top 30 for receptions. Not bad for this offense.

I've made my thoughts known about the young line and their progress.

And I do believe Torain is the real deal when healthy. The trick is stating that way for him.

I'm also excited by the prospects of banks and Austin on offense. Fred Davis and Logan paulsen are top notch for their relative roles as well.

It's the perfect time for a young QB to come in and grow with this group. We aren't going to the super bowl, but there is a bright future for this offense.

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Elway don't know what hell he is talking about. Go on and enjoy your retirement and stay the fu## out of Redskins business and take that old a## Shanahan with you.

Posted by: mssassy | January 4, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

comparing Schlereth's and Elway's comments it appears that Schlereth gave GM Shanny a thumbs down while Elway gave Coach Shanny a thumbs up

the problem is that GM Shanny has to rebuild the Redskins, that dude got Coach Shanny fired in Denver

Posted by: coparker5 | January 4, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Elway says " A lot of times, especially, when you have a quarterback with Donovan's stature, it's always difficult to try something new there. "

A lot times... it's always difficult. Now tell me if your kids said "Daddy, a lot of times it's hard to pick up my socks, because it's always difficult...." What would you think? Would you suggest that his reasoning skills are a bit askew? Would ask his opinion on something? Or would you gently correct his reasoning?

Well, in the NFL, reason doesn't matter at all. That's because clear thinking and good reasoning don't matter. That's why teams hire morons like Mike Shannahan and John Elway (throw the ball John, down field, gooooood job).

Posted by: 44fx2901 | January 4, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

This just in from Terell Davis: John, get off of the pipe, the only reason you and mike have any rings is because of me!

P.S. Both of you are my biiiiiachhhezzz!

Posted by: rlomax67 | January 4, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Luck is the lock. Gabbert is the hidden gem. Newton is Vince Young. Mallett is Chad Henne. Still haven't seen Locker although it seemed last year he would have been the 2nd QB taken if he came out. Last year was a thin year for QBs. this year seems pretty rich but you don't just take a QB for taking a QB's sake - if the franchise guy you want isn't available at #10 - draft another need.

Prediction: McNabb to the Vikings for a draft pick. Haynesworth to the Titans for a draft pick. Good riddance to both and move on.

Posted by: AsstGM | January 4, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

That's gold. Reminds me of Groucho Marx: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Of course, the difference is that Marx was trying to be funny, what's Elway's excuse?

Posted by: 44fx2901 | January 4, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

psps23, i hear what you are saying ...However, it is my belief that one of our continued problems is falling in love with and over-valueing our own players. Santana is a perfect example...he makes plays, has been our #1 guy for awhile. However, it can be argued that he cost us a chance to win both the dallas and giants game here at the end of season. If he doesn't drop that wide open pass against dallas, he either scores or we have the ball deep into their territory and had just shredded their defense 3 series in a row both passing and running. That play totally change that game. It was tied when he dropped that pass with 4 min left and they quickly get the ball back and come down for the winning score.... against gmen, same thing,. a HUGE fumble late in game derailed us again. winning players and winning teams make winning plays when it counts most, all the time. another example is chris wilson opening 2nd half kickoff vrs tampa. he funmbles ball and instad of falling on it and we start 2nd half of game with ball after running for like 200 yeards first half, instead they get ball and score. NE up guy gets ball kicked to him and rumbles down to GB 2 yrd line. WINNING TEAMS MAKE WINNING PLAYS, identical situations...Cooley has shown big chinks in his armour as he has dropped more passes and fumbled repeadly the last 2 years as he lives a goofball, rock-star lifestyle. his blocking is avg. at best and I have literally seen him "ole" guys more then once. We have very few positions of strength and TE is one. he needs to be traded while he still has top value to improve another position. We have forever fell in love with players who continue to break our hearts. As well as the front office restructuring most guys to stay under the cap to buy another "has been" player has made them soft. We need to fall out of love with players we feel are irreplacable...it's a bottom line sport and we have won zilch with them...just saying

Posted by: klangley69 | January 4, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

As we saw last year you cant tell where a QB will land in the draft. Tebow, a guy people questioned could even be a NFL QB was drafted before guys that were pick to be in the top 15 at the same position. I think the skins should stay the course and keep drafting offensive and defensive lineman, corners and linebackers. The skilled position players can come in the lower rounds. Neither high round WR's we drafted a couple of years ago are with the team now. We need to be more like the patriots and less like the Cowboys.

Posted by: ged0386 | January 4, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

WELL, for the past few years, I've been the "QB is not the main problem" guy. That was with Jason Campbell. NOW... You've got Rex Grossman in there, so, YES, get a QB ASAP!

From what I've seen, Luck looks head and shoulders above the rest. Not even close. Cam Newton... Looks good, but the Auburn thing is worrying me. Locker? Nah. He exposed his limits too much this year and looks pretty mediocre.

So, for the record, I'm for Luck. The guy seems to be a VERY gifted athlete and a smart guy, too. His throws on the move are freakishly accurate. Lucky, almost, but he seems to be aiming. The guy seems like a pro playing against kids.

Do what you gotta do to get this guy. If you have to sit him for a year to upgrade the line in next year's draft, do it. I don't see a lot of QBs with his skills. Bradford was the best last year? Luck makes him look like a troll.

I'm not a QB lover. I think the position is really overrated... unless you're talking about Peyton Manning or John Elway or Steve Young. Luck, pre-career, I would put in with those guys. Coming out, honestly, he looks WAY better.

For the record, and I know this shoots down my entire post:

I thought Ryan Leaf looked like "The Guy" when he came out, too.

Just saying. I don't know what the heck I'm talking about any more than all those "scouts" do.

Luck looks like he can do it ALL. I think he's worth the shot. Whatever it takes.

If he's another JaMarcus or Leaf... I'll be the first to say, "I was wrong about the guy."

It Happens.

Posted by: Thinker_ | January 5, 2011 5:10 AM | Report abuse

from the outside, who cares what Elway thinks? it's hard to tell from the outside though.

Posted by: kone | January 5, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

If Elway can jump into a time machine and knock thirteen years off his body, suit up, and sign with Washington, then Shanahan is golden. Shanahan knows how to win with Elway, and with Elway at the Quarterback position, Shanahan is a great coach.

If Elway is not able to do that, though, Shanahan has problems. Because without Elway, Shanahan is not such a good coach.

Eleven years of Shanahan's coaching after Elway retired. Four playoff appearances in those eleven years. One playoff victory. That's the look from the outside, and it ain't pretty.

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | January 5, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse