McNabb discusses Jackson's comments, his future with Redskins

Quarterback Donovan McNabb is quite comfortable in front of a microphone, and during Saturday's minicamp session with the media he touched on a number of subjects.

Perhaps most interesting were his comments regarding former teammate DeSean Jackson, who in a recent Sporting News article said, "I don't think we lost anything," when discussing the trade of his former quarterback.

Shown the magazine cover during the press conference by a reporter, McNabb handled the quote in stride.

"It's so wild what people get to talking when you're not there but when you're there everybody loves you, so...I guess people will go deeper into it than I will," McNabb said. "I'm a Redskin, no longer an Eagle. I had 11 great years and I'm moving on with my life. Whoever may say things while I'm gone, more power to 'em but it's not making you look like a better man."

Here are some more highlights from the McNabb presser:

On progress from the first minicamp to the second: "I think everyone is kind of getting their feet up under them and having an idea of what we want to do as far as the offense is concerned, defense as well. As a veteran you kind of hate these camps but obviously when you're in a new situation, learning a new offense, new scheme it's something that's going to benefit us and we're definitely taking advantage of the opportunity of being out here and running these plays."

On progress from the first minicamp to the second: "I think everyone is kind of getting their feet up under them and having an idea of what we want to do as far as the offense is concerned, defense as well. As a veteran you kind of hate these camps but obviously when you're in a new situation, learning a new offense, new scheme, it's something that's going to benefit us and we're definitely taking advantage of the opportunity of being out here and running these plays."

On the dual threat of tight ends Chris Cooley and Fred Davis: "I think it's important in any offense that you have a tight end or two that can get downfield and put pressure on linebackers and safeties. I think for the guys that we have we feel like it could be a mismatch versus the safeties and definitely versus the linebackers with those guys. With our young receivers and bringing in a guy like Joey [Galloway], again, I think it takes pressure off them, and then the running back plays a major part in the pass game. It's going to be exciting, again we're all learning and trying to be on the same page but it's exciting at this point."

On whether he wants to play for the Redskins this season: "Absolutely. The thing with me is I don't believe in trial runs. I'm here as a Redskin and I would like to be here for years to come and I look forward to that. The thing about it is preparing myself and settling in, learning this offense so that we can have a lot of success for the next couple years."

By Paul Tenorio  |  May 9, 2010; 11:05 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Williams solidifying his place with Redskins
Next: A disarming sight

Comments

D Jackson looks like a great young player, but we'll see if he has the same success with a first year FT starter, then he can let us know if they lost anything.

I think Philly is going to struggle this year adjusting.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | May 9, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"On whether he wants to play for the Redskins this season"

You mean future seasons?

Posted by: Salinas1 | May 9, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Seems like young DeSean has a pretty short memory. Who does he think it was that laid those perfectly placed bombs into his hands for long TD's. Apparently he thinks it was all his doing. Interested to see what he'll have to say after watching Santana and Devin hauling in those passes this year while his stats go in the toilet. Can't wait.

Posted by: just-the-facts | May 9, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

In DeSean's DeFense,he was open by about 10 yards on most of those bombs, and what's he supposed to say? What idiot traded away our only decent QB?

He helped me win my fantasy league as an 8th round pick, so I owed him at least that.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 9, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

It apperas that Paul Tenorio is a little under the "weather." A double shot o' "On progress from the first minicamp to the second" and "On whether he wants to play for the Redskins this season:" in regards to playing for seasons to come. I'm not perfect but dude you hangover from the mma fight last night is killing me.

Posted by: Burrasta1 | May 9, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

your... told you I'm not perfect, I'm a little hung over as well apperently

Posted by: Burrasta1 | May 9, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Smack

Bet his draft value drops big time w/o McNabb.

Posted by: just-the-facts | May 9, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Hope London Fletcher gets another chance and knocks Jackson out like he did last season.

Posted by: saltine182 | May 9, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Sure, but bet he still goes before DT, MK, or SM.

If it were a keeper league I'd happily surrender my 8th rounder, but I'll let one of the Eagles fans reach for him this year.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 9, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

In golf news, Tiger withdraws from TPC final round on 7th hole, citing fourteen pains in the neck.

Now everyone remember to climb the basement steps and wish your moms a happy Mother's Day. The light will be a little harsh at first, but your eyes will adjust.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 9, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Can't figure out how he has a bulging disc in his UPPER back.

Posted by: just-the-facts | May 9, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"I think Philly is going to struggle this year adjusting."

They will, 100%.

Glad to have you here DMac. After years and years of watching mediocre QB's here in Washington, I am very glad that your are DC's QB now.

You are VERY wanted here.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 9, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 9, 2010 11:50 AM

"We're gonna miss Donovan but we think Kevin can step up and fill his shoes. Maybe not his jock, but at least his shoes. We're not even buying new shoes, just giving him Donovan's."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 9, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I forgot the guy had been around 460 at one point. That is one seriously overweight individual. And the weird thing is, he has a frame that can almost carry that much poundage.

It's easy to forget that he'd been on a drastic weight-loss protocol before his first camp, and kept it up after he arrived. That's the problem right there. The human body isn't designed to adjust to rapid weight loss while maintaining really high cardiovascular stress. I doubt he was anywhere near peak condition last year. Probably had stamina and fatigue problems throughout the season.

Posted by: Samson151

Agreed. Not just stamina and weight loss. Athletes rely on muscle memory -- when you drastically reshape your body or spend years away from the sport, it takes time to regain that. OL is about balance, position, footwork, etc. All things BMW had to START to relearn in 2009.

Never expected much from him in 2009. I always thought he was an investment for 2010. Now we'll see.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 9, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Mom's new BF saying all the right things. Still on probation buddy, but a rift with DeSean Jackson (whose classless jibing fits the disgusting Philly fan base) is a start.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | May 9, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The reason Desean thinks that is because he still had success when Kolb was starting. Even though it was against eh Saints and Chiefs he think he can still have that same success for years to come under Kolb, but defenses are going to dial in and i'm sure his stats is going to be down this year.

Posted by: ATLredskin | May 9, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Ah, I see Desean has "Bighead-itis", a common malady amongst young wide receivers..May he be ripped apart and shot repeatedly by wolves in the t*ttie bar and thrown to the jackals..

As for Big Mike, as long as he blocks holes that Portis can turn around and moonwalk through, he will rawk..

Posted by: frak | May 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

This mcnabb deal is going to be better for us than the it was for the iggles by a long shot.
Despite the price, the fact is that a competent leader who can take ownership of and successfully direct a defense is worth more than a 2nd and next year third. This is especially true of a veteran qb who still has an arm (favre anyone?). Some guys have the confidence and leadership skills, some guys don't. As for the "he never won a superbowl" argument, neither did manning until after he spent ten years in the league.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | May 9, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I meant:
"Despite the price, the fact is that a competent leader who can take ownership of and successfully direct a offense is worth more than a 2nd and next year third."

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | May 9, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

D Jack is still bitter about #5's comments after they were embarrassed by the cowboys..

From PFT..

"Jackson also referred to the new-look Eagles as the "young guns," an interesting choice of words given that McNabb said after a 24-0 loss to the Cowboys in the regular-season finale that the team "showed our youth." Though McNabb promptly backtracked, Jackson seemed to give credence to the notion that McNabb's comments created a problem.

"We talked and, you know, it's nothing big," Jackson said. "We've just gotta keep it in house and stick together as a team and don't let things like that break us up."

Meanwhile, another comment from the aftermath of that loss to the Cowboys was right on the money. "We can't get embarrassed like that again on Saturday night," an unnamed veteran player told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio in advance of the wild-card game against the Cowboys, "or a lot of guys will lose their job."

The Eagles got embarrassed again -- and to date a lot of guys have indeed lost their jobs.

Including McNabb

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 9, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"I think Philly is going to struggle this year adjusting.Posted by: WaitingGuilty"

To me, this has many of the signs of a rebuilding year in Philly. They let go a bunch of players. They drafted thirteen (13!!), including four in the 4th and two more in the 5th. Nine of their picks, at five different positions, were on defense -- including the first five selections. They picked up a backup QB, Mike Kafka, in the 4th. And of course, they're starting a brand new QB.

Maybe Kolb is the next Aaron Rodgers.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 9, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Good news about Dez Bryant from PFT..

Perhaps the Cowboys are opting for positive reinforcement with Bryant, talking him up in the hopes that he won't let them down. Privately, we've heard whispers that the team was concerned by his level of fitness -- and by the fact that he would sleep between practices to the point where they had trouble waking him up.

We're told he also had an excuse for everything that went wrong. When he seemed to be out of shape, he claimed that he didn't warm up. When he twisted an ankle, he blamed it on the fact that he was wearing new cleats.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 9, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, that is shaping up to be a wonderful subplot.

The crack ho's kid could make romo and da boys yearn for the 8th grader.

Awesome.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 9, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The leadership alone was worth that trade! D.McNabb is a real stand up guy! IMO, he will make this a much better team! BTW F-Dallas!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | May 9, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

For me at least, the issue of McNabb to the Redskins has NEVER been his skill set. That's always been a positive. It's been whether or not he'll live long enough behind that questionable Oline to get to employ it for long enough to make a difference.

Posted by: TheCork | May 9, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 9, 2010 2:50 PM

Jason Campbell started 16 games behind that line last year. Now, it's been improved. If McNabb doesn't start 16 games, it's not the line's fault.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 9, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | May 9, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The O Line had better keep McNabb on his feet or we're SOL with Rex as the backup.

Posted by: BenThere | May 9, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Gee, how many out to pasture players have the Redskins payed big dollars for in the last few years that have turned out to be a waste? Good luck with this has been.

Posted by: djrhood | May 9, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Sounds to me like McNabb is taking it out of context just like T.O. did of his comments after the horse collar tacklet: "If T.O. plays, obviously it's an added bonus, if he doesn't, it's not going to stop anything we do." That comment started the feud and ended up with "just keep my name out your mouth". Jackson's two career longest receptions were 71 yards vs. New Orleans on 9/20/09 and 64 yrds vs. KC the following week. Guess who threw those two balls? Not McNabb! Kevin Kolb. Just sayin'

Posted by: Mickey70 | May 9, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

DeSean Jackson is Philly's Clinton Portis. Let's see if he comes in out of shape now and starts tripping over his own feet.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 10, 2010 6:07 AM | Report abuse