Donovan McNabb hopes to improve on postseason record with Redskins

Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb doesn't want to simply replicate the level of success he enjoyed in Philadelphia. The one thing he couldn't do with the Eagles, he wants to do for the Redskins.

"I look back, the things that I set out that I wanted to accomplish and bring back to Philadelphia I wasn't able to, and I apologize more than anything to the people of Philadelphia, not bringing that Super Bowl to them," McNabb said today on the Philadelphia radio station, 97.5 The Fanatic.

"But you know, it didn't happen, and I look forward to trying to achieve that goal in Washington."

McNabb made the appearance to promote awareness for high-blood pressure. Because it was a Philly station, most of the questions concerned the Eagles and his successor, Kevin Kolb. But McNabb managed to put a D.C.-spin on many.

On the Eagles' young wide receivers: "They're exciting players, very excited to have an opportunity to play with them last year. Kevin's stepping into a great situation. I'm happy for him, more importantly that he gets the opportunity being able work with them for three years. ... my focus right now is just being in Washington and creating that camaraderie that we need to be successful in the D.C. area."

On Kolb: "I haven't really been focused on what's going on in
Philadelphia. My focus is just obviously being in D.C. I know Kevin as a person just works extremely hard and wants to be the best. As a player, he displayed a little bit of that obviously last year. So I wish nothing but the best for him."

On a sense of betrayal: "Not at all. But let's focus on the task at hand, guys. We're talking about high-blood pressure here, spreading the awareness. That whole football side of things will take care of itself and one that we'll go into later as we continue on throughout this offseason. I just want to focus in on the 1in3people.com, giving people a website to log on to and learn more about high blood pressure and how it can really change their lives. As far as football is concerned, that's one that we're not talking about right now. That will take care of itself. I'm happy for the Eagles, happy for the Redskins and look forward to good things to happen to both organizations."

On whether he was treated fairly: "I love the fans in Philadelphia and
love the things that they presented for me, giving me that opportunity to come out of that tunnel, give them an opportunity to bring a Super Bowl home. I''m sorry it didn't happen; I'm more crushed than anything. But again, I'm looking forward to bringing it to D.C., and
hopefully bringing a Super Bowl to the D.C. area, and displaying my talents, one of which they've seen over the last 11 years. I know that it's a different color that I'll be wearing, but it'll be kind of the same player, one that's a little bit more polished, one that hopefully can uplift the spirits of a balll club and hopefully change a 4-12 season to something bigger and better."

Friday afternoon story hour

Dan Steinberg, Mr. Reading Is Fun-damental, discovers a funny Jim Haslett story in an old, old book.

By Rick Maese  |  May 14, 2010; 2:38 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brian Westbrook is in no hurry to sign, McDaniels says
Next: UConn safety expects to hear from Redskins soon

Comments

Bean, he made him cry during a game not a practice.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 14, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm pulling for you McNabb - hope you bring that championship to D.C.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 14, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

hey gang here is another post for someone to b**** about!

Posted by: alex35332 | May 14, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

4th

Posted by: delfranklin4 | May 14, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow...missed that Big Baby clip....pretty hysterical.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 14, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Baby Davis crying is one thing, but this pose is something else altogether.

And what up with the dude in the background?

Posted by: RedDMV | May 14, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Baby Davis crying is one thing, but this pose is something else altogether.

And what up with the dude in the background?

Posted by: RedDMV | May 14, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

my bad on the doubble up...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 14, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

do yourself a favor, dont go back to the last thread and read the post from wathu....

he apparently thinks racism is only when one group exerts power and control over another.

and by his estimation, since blacks in this country have no power (no black lawyers, congressmen, justices or president)that they cannot be racist since they dont have any power.

And the other group is all racist all the time.

Unless i am missing something. It was quite hard to read.

Its easy, racism can be summed up in a nutshell. A racist person, thinks that any person not like themselves, is less only because of outward differences, without actually knowing the person, or the group.

have a good weekend peeps

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 14, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

well, obviously, but DMac5 is a better man than me. why the hell is he apologizing to those a**hole Philly fans?

they vilified him for not winning a championship throwing to Todd Pinkston and Freddy Mitchell?

i'd be taking every opportunity to make it clear i was saying, "F you Philly, and your ignorant-ass fans."

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 14, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"High Blood Pressure Awareness"..The Man is a subliminal TERROR, glad he's on our side!! But, seriously , support High Blood Pressure Awareness, it kills...like speed..

Posted by: frak | May 14, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I wish athletes would say what was really on their mind, instead of the saying the PR stuff.

"Yeah Philly betrayed me, Kevin Kolb is a loser, I hope London turns Desean Jackson's lights out. The Philly fans are retards and I can't wait to go to Philly and hang 45 points on those jerks."

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 14, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

davis is a frustrating cat to root for, tons of talent, just can't seem to get it straight....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 14, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

His personality is already uplifting my spirits! He is the most engaging since Darrell Green.

Posted by: RedCherokee | May 14, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 14, 2010 3:25 PM

he's on the end of just about every thread talking about the white devil. it's hilarious.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 14, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

ok, thats what i thought he was saying. hmmmmmmmmmm, racism only works one way. thats an interesting thought. like someone said before, every race has been subjugated at some point, except maybe the chinese. you cant be subjugated by your own race can you?

theres a brain tickler...

peace

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 14, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, here's to hoping that Mcnabb delivers. I personally am very excited about him. The thought of having our best quarterback since Mark Rypian, at least, is great news for the franchise. I think McNabb's presence alone is worth 3-4 wins. Throw in vastly improved coaching and offensive gameplans and we might actually be in the mix at the end of the year, for once.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 14, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Translation -- I gonna kick they Benedict Arnold AZZ!!!! They treated me like crap and now I have to answer these questions!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 14, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

'... in a win.'

Would kind of suck if the 'Skins lost 49-45.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Chinese isn't a race, it's an ethnicity.

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Chinese isn't a race, it's an ethnicity.

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2010 3:36 PM

i thought it was a nationality.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 14, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

whoa, beeeps again.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Time's up!

Beep beep

If you hate people of the Dallas race, are you a racist?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 14, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Rascism is mostly thought of by sociologist as a power based structure, this makes it difficult for a minority race to be "racist" to the larger majority within a society b/c there in no opportunity to exert power. Now the minority can certainly be prejudice. But in a social science context there is a distinction.

Buy it or not, thats the basic difference.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 14, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator/league-source

Posted by: RedDMV | May 14, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Chinese isn't a race, it's an ethnicity.

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2010 3:36 PM

i thought it was a nationality.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 14, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse
I thought it was a food

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 14, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

i thought it was a nationality.

Posted by: terrapin3

It's both. Ethnicity merely refers to a group of people sharing a common characteristic (culture, language, history, etc.).

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

'... in a win.'

Would kind of suck if the 'Skins lost 49-45.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 14, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I would just be shocked if we scored 45 points

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 14, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Chinese isn't a race, it's an ethnicity.

Posted by: psps23 | May 14, 2010 3:36 PM

i thought it was a nationality.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 14, 2010 3:38 PM |
I thought it was a food

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 14, 2010 3:43 PM |

You guys are all wrong. It's a term used to describe people from Japan, Korea, the Philippines, or Vietnam.

LOL @ food!

Posted by: paperboy76 | May 14, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Buy it or not, thats the basic difference.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 14, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

This assumes a classless society homogeneous in all other respects. In reality, minorities can and certainly do make decisions within their sphere of influence which are evidence of racism.

They can choose what entertainment to watch, who to associate with, etc, and otherwise attempt to exclude undesirable characteristics from their lives.

This is why racism is a zero-sum game: The cost of exclusion is isolation. The cost of isolation is ignorance. The cost of ignorance is belligerence, and that is never sustainable.

That's why I have a problem with the PC crowd, actually, because the guy who runs his mouth and gets his arse whooped is going to be healthier in the long run then the guy who silently harbors resentment until it boils over uncontrollably.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | May 14, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Postseason? HAHAHAHA! Not only is McNugget wrong for this team, he's delusional, too. Beautiful.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 14, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Donovan, you're a Redskin now. Quit apologizing to the enemy. The next time you're on a Philadelphia radio station, you need to say: "I'm glad that the Eagles never have won a Super Bowl and I was happy to keep the run of futility going while I was the QB. I look forward to beating the Eagles every chance I get from now on. Philly has the most obnoxious fans in sports. I haven't forgotten that I was booed on draft day. Go eat your cheesesteaks, you bunch of losers."

Posted by: randysbailin | May 14, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

McNabb has never had playoff issues until the NFCCG's.

If he got the Skins to the NFCCG multiple times, it would be a big success from where the Skins were last year

Posted by: Bious | May 14, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I am and always will be an Eagles fan. Quite a few of us have always thought Donovan is nothing but a class act. I wish him all the best, except when he's playing my boys!

Posted by: WickedRose | May 14, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

racism:

around the world, the US has a bad reputation as a racist country, and we are.

BUT

many of the countries that think we are racist, Spain, for one, barely allow other races to enter. They can tell, for example, a Moroccan from a Spaniard. I cant! There are swastikas scrawled on walls, they have Nazis, and we all remember their Beijing olympic photo, right? With the "asian eyes" thing? They didn't even KNOW it was a racist and demeaning act.

So, yeah, we're racist, but we also have reason to be. We have all races here. All ethnicities. And we don't always get it right immediately, but we should be proud of our diversity. By and large, we function as a whole, despite such different backgrounds. We hone our slur-skills, but we deal with it.

I think we're not so bad. I mean, Brazil is another story. Almost EVERYBODY is mixed there. They call eachother racial names (Negao for black dude, Japa for Brazilian of asian descent, Camarao ((which means shrimp)) for white dudes like me), but they don't have the same weight these things do in the US. And they say it to your face. They know they're all in it together.

Of course, the elite there, as in most places, the ones that travel by helicopter to and from "work" so they don't have to deal with traffic, are almost exclusively white.

So, in conclusion, I'm glad we're a bunch of racists. It's part of the process, I think. Pretending it doesn't exist puts us in the Spain category, and that's BS. We'll just keep "mixing" till we're like Brazil, except for the helicopter people.

And in further conclusion, I hope McNabb is better than Campbell. I'll give him a one year honeymoon before people are calling for The Backup. Let's hope the line is better, the run game is better, and the play-calling is better. I think he's got those things going for him.

And the Raiders fans are psyched about JC17. Let's hope it stays that way. They don't have an O Line to write home about either.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 14, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Gota admit the man has focus! Love big Mac!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | May 14, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

i know there is someone in these blogs who knows people. Can you ask McNabb how good ST21 was? I'd like to hear it from him and what he has to say about it

thanks

Posted by: retroskins14 | May 14, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I meant Gotta.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | May 14, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

DMac...you have NOTHING to apologize for to the AH Philly fans...and speaking of AH...talk about so one who does have something to apologize for

Posted by: cavys | May 14, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

When I got to the last fourth of this article, I had to throw up. I must've wasted 10 minutes too...

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | May 14, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason, your headline is he wants to improve on his postseason record. What is his postseason record?

Posted by: DMcCall2 | May 14, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Man, I would love to see the
Skins lose a game 49-45. I'd be disappointed with the loss but it sure would be fun to watch. Skins have been pathetically boring for way too long. Hooray excitement.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 14, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Super Bowl MVP Donovan McNabb sounds better today than it did before

Posted by: terpsez11 | May 15, 2010 4:45 AM | Report abuse

Reading the post on this page I can't help but notice we have won the offseason Super Bowl yet another year. Don't buy it or you'll be sorry by week 8.

BOYCOTT $NYDER-REDSKINS 11 TIME OFFSEASON CHAMPS-BOYCOTT $NYDER

Posted by: hessone | May 15, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

He couldn't do it in Philly, but he can do it in D.C. Is that what I am reading? IMHO the Skins were scamed. Broken down used goods is what they got. Philly management is laughing their butts off over this. I will be proven right.

Posted by: theBozyn | May 15, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

what type of ticket does a cop give to an oriental? its called a DWO.

Posted by: rls1041 | May 15, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

@rls1041
Your Momma's cooking is so bad, the family prays after they eat.

BOYCOTT $NYDER-I AGREE WITH @theBozyn

Posted by: hessone | May 15, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

couldn't do it in philly, won't do it in d.c.

shannahan couldn't do it without elway

how much progress have we made?

Posted by: agra09 | May 15, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

LOL! I like that!

here's an added info on "THE MIND OF McNABB"

" Philly Fans are just plain d*** heads! They'll miss me and start to cheer for Vick once Kolb gets exposed that he's a backup at best. The Eagles org should expect that I'll be putting some extra hours in the meeting rooms for game week againsts them because heck I do know their system inside and out. I'll make sure to introduce ORAKPO to Kolb while Kolb is munching the dirt.

And btw, that retard DeSean Jackson, we'll know how good he is when his QB gets hammered and doesn't know which defense is coming and as well as show my Skins defense which route that punk likes to go for so that somebody can put his lights out.

Don't worry Eagles fans, you'll never appreciate something or someone until they're gone. hmmmm... Embarassing you guys on MNF would be my early reprieve!"

GO SKINS!

Posted by: datruth21 | May 15, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

We don't care that your sorry as there's nothing to be sorry about Donovan. You did a great job for the Eagles but it was time for you to move on. I do hope you throw a lot of grass-cutters for the Deadskins while wearing that racist uniform however.

Posted by: Dog11 | May 15, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@Dog11

Thin skin gets you nowhere in todays world.
The freakin name REDSKINS bothers blacks more than it does Native Americans.

Posted by: hessone | May 15, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

____
Gee really??? I mean is there a QB in the league who moved to a new team this year that didn't want to bring a championship to his new city.. Heck I sure that's what Campbell wants to do in Oakland no??? The question is why does McNabb think he has a better chance to do that in Washington?? He's not as young as it was.. you can argue downside of career. He won't have 11 years to try. And does he think he has a better team around him than he has in Philly??? Look McNabb was a huge upgrade at QB but my feeling is the odds of him bringing a championship to D.C. is less than if the Skins drafted a franchise QB like Clausen that we could have 10 to 15 years to build a championship team around. He's hoping McNabb beats the odds...

Posted by: sovine08 | May 17, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse