McNabb hosts football clinic for kids in New Jersey

Donovan McNabb may not be an Eagle anymore but his presence in the Philadelphia community is still felt - even if he is now on the rival Redskins.

The 11-year veteran returned to his former stomping grounds in Marlton, N.J., where he hosted his 10th annual kids football clinic. Over 300 participants, ranging from ages 11 through 16 took part in the daylong non-contact clinic.

"This is an exciting time for me because I get a chance to spend time with kids," McNabb said. "I look forward to it because it gives them an opportunity to engage with a lot of the players they watch on Sundays. This is something that I take pride in. To have my teammates and friends participate something like this is really special."

Among those teammates and friends in attendance were Redskins Clinton Portis, Byron Westbrook, Fred Davis and Bobby Wade, and some former Eagles teammates including Brian Westbrook, Chad Lewis, Leonard Weaver, and Jeremy Maclin.

McNabb said he wanted communicate the hard work needed to succeed on the field to the children.

"One thing I tell them is to continue to stay strong-minded," he said. "They look at the end result but never understand the journey."

Unlike in the past, the proceeds went towards Virtua Hospital - where his four children were born -- and the construction of a Donovan McNabb Family Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and it was held at the Memorial Sports Complex in Marlton. Previously, the proceeds went towards the American Diabetes Association, and for the last seven years, the event was held at the Eagles' NovaCare practice facility. Chicago hosted the clinic in its first two years.

McNabb was upbeat throughout the day, leading quarterback drills at one of the stations on the field and often dancing and joking around with the children. He even joked a little bit about his departure from Philadelphia when he was introduced, saying that the Eagles "traded and booted me out of here."

As for matters on the field, McNabb said he wasn't trying to recruit Brian Westbrook but would like to have him on the team; he believes Albert Haynesworth will attend minicamp next week and hopes he "just comes into camp in shape"; and -- when asked about the possibility of Terrell Owens joining the roster -- said "I'm happy with the guys we got."

McNabb also said he hopes to bring a similar event down to the Washington D.C. area in the future.

By Jorge Castillo  |  June 12, 2010; 5:19 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins are still a possibility for Brian Westbrook
Next: Portis makes appearance at McNabb's football camp

Comments

"McNabb....when asked about the possibility of Terrell Owens joining the roster -- said "I'm happy with the guys we got."

Nothing like having the kind of class that evokes a lie rather than true feelings.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

and this is why its not hard for me to root for DM. hes never made me hate him, just him beating us.

Posted by: follybeach | June 12, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow...isn't this the 2nd post on this same topic? I mean, is this "Redskins Insider" or "Donovan McNabb's Offseason Itinerary Insider"? Cuz I'm a lot more interested in the former...

But then again, it beats the hell out of another Haynesworth non-update.

Moe, I'll agree with you on McNabb's answer to the TO question...very well played on his part. But it's just like reading in the dark...you may be able to get away with it, but it's a hundred times easier to do when someone turns on the lights for you. Here's hoping someone at WR turns on the lights...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 12, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Re: Brian Westbrook....

"Right now I'm just talking it over with my agent and trying to make sure that we find the best fit for me," he said. "Several teams are interested. We've been talking back and forth with several teams."

Come on, Dude. SJK or get off the pot. How hard is it to make a decision? Do you want to be here or not? If so, mandatory OTAs are in a couple of days. If you want to be on this team, it's time to make your move.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | June 12, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | June 12, 2010 5:53 PM

First of all, it's been pretty well documented that the "several" teams he's talking about is actually only 3. PFT says Denver's sick of waiting and has moved on. St. Louis is a long shot because they suck and Westbrook doesn't wanna play for a team that sucks. So that leaves the Skins as both the most interested team in his services and the best situation for BW.

That said, I'm sure the long wait for his decision has more to do with whether he's willing to assume the risk of suffering another concussion than it does which team he wants to play for. He's from the D.C. area, his brother is on the team (as is his former QB in Philly), and the Skins are the better of the 3 teams that want him. Not to mention the shot at hurting the Eagles twice this year. I'm sure he knows this is the best situation for him, but publically questioning whether he wants to play at all would ruin his value and I'm sure he's being wise not to do that. So IMO, it's not about whether he wants to play HERE, so much as whether he wants to play AT ALL.

And if that's the case, I'll be glad to give him all the time in the world to make that decision.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 12, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow...switch that horrific "publically" with the proper spelling, "publicly". MASSIVE brain fart on my part...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 12, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

DC2AZ99. Do you follow the same go-with-the-first-offer-immediately- approach to career advancement?

Posted by: mack1 | June 12, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure you know who that was directed at rb. Certainly not you... the tin foil hat wearing moron knows...

Posted by: scampbell1975 |

Yeah, well posts like yours are what the "Report Abuse" button is for.

Your sick homophobic rant belongs in an email from some Right wing nutcase Congressman who hasn't yet been found out yet, not on a board kids read.

You are one sick puppy.

I take that back. Don't want to insult puppies.

I'd call you a sick human, but I have my serious doubts about that, too.

But you're sick. That's evident.

And your anti-gay rants doth protest too much.

Posted by: TheCork | June 12, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

I'm thinking he is waiting for the May free-agent market lull to give way to the more favorable market which begins after training camps open.
Brian would help because he can catch and is less of a downhill power runner. If our WR's are not performing well, having Westbrook will be all-the-more important.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 12, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Multiple concussions are a serious matter for him to consider. I would definately love to see someone of his skill level join the team, but I wouldn't want to see him leave the league with a permanent rattle inside his skull. It's wise for him to be patient and only come back if he's sure its the right thing.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 12, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

You're changing the argument. You said most of these guys aren't good enough to play baseball, basketball, football or hockey. That poorly considered argument went down in flames quickly when the same logic was applied to those sports.
Now you are saying that they aren't elite because lot's of countries field teams? Is it so unreasonable that these countries can field one team of 20(?) players from the available talent pool of all their male athletes? (maybe 1,000's?)
Do you plan on offering any arguments that actually hold water, or are you just throwing out sh!t hoping something sticks?
Just how do you define an "elite" athlete anyway?
-------------------
Perhaps I went above your head, because josa quavo from Mexico is an elite soccer player being 5,5" and 158lbs, yet in the USA he would be cutting my grass? I would say ELITE is for players that could compete for the sports I mentioned? ED sorry I struck something with you but really....Think about it and I am just throwing s@t out just like watching f'n boring ass soccer. 1-1 USA i heard?

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

It boggles my mind that anyone would suggest signing Terrel Owens to the Skins. I can't think of a better way to alienate McNabb. His diplomaticly worded response to the TO question is just another way of saying "Anybody but him!". Even if we didn't have McNabb and his unpleasant history with TO, it still would be a horrible idea. The man is locker room poison wherever he goes, and how many times will he cost the team 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Please no TO in DC!!!

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 12, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster |

Not only alienate McNabb but the rest of the team, the fans, the waterboy, the ball boys, the field caretakers, the equipment guy,...well you get the picture. Has there ever been anyone in the league that has come out and expressed any sort of distress that TO was no onger on their team?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that TO himself has ever expressed any distress about no longer being on any of the teams he has been on.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 12, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Just how do you define an "elite" athlete anyway?
-------------------

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 7:21 PM

Again...and I'll type slowly for you so you can hang in there this time...the sports you mentioned were baseball, basketball, football and hockey. Take some "elite" athletes from those sports - like Ryan Howard, Lebron James, Payton Manning and Sidney Crosby - and put them on a soccer field and they would look like uncoordinated dorks.

Just because they can't play the sports you like does not mean they are not talented athletes.

Your argument is (still) stupid.

Later.

Posted by: edvar | June 12, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 7:21 PM

Well, at least you realize that all you've done is throw "s@t" out there.

Yup, that about sums up the value of your comment.

But thanks for the lesson in ontological reasoning.

So soccer players aren't elite athletes b/c they don't play football, baseball, basketball, hockey.

Nice...you pretty much nailed "assuming-the-thing-being-argued" right on the head.

Posted by: p1funk | June 12, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

LOL well my 3 nieces love soccer because it's EASY MODE like ur mind... My MBA from GW was easy mode too plz ..sorry dude u cant sell ur lame ass product here

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Attention World Cup fans:

Enough of the 90+ minutes of constant horn blowing. This is what I hear...

Eeeerreeeeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrreeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrreeeeee.

Our like I'm stuck in the worlds biggest bee's nest.

Put the horn away and just go double fisted.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 8:51 PM

Now you're waiving an MBA around, like that's supposed to impress? To bad you didn't take a logic course along the way.

...and once again your argument is indefensible so you have tried to change it. This times it's: My nieces think it's easy, therefore...

...before that it was: "If so many countries can put up a team then it must not require talented athletes"

...and before that it was: "They probably couldn't play baseball, basket ball, football or hockey, so they are not elite athletes."

Way to put on a seminar of higher thinking. The folks at GW must be so proud.

Go to bed.

Posted by: edvar | June 12, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Or...the Ipad loves to help me type.

Anyways, I don't get the hate for soccer. I played soccer until 8th grade, in high school I focused on baseball and football.

Soccer is great for kids and teaches agility, teamwork, fitness, etc. How many fat soccer players do you see? It's a great gateway sport.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Or like I'm stuck in the worlds biggest bee's nest.

Put the horn away and just go double fisted.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 8:56 PM |

Crack me up...

Posted by: edvar | June 12, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyways, I don't get the hate for soccer.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 9:07 PM

jealousy on the part of those who force themselves to watch NBA or MLB?

it's all good... any competition has the potential to be compelling.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

For those that like MMA and don't want to put down 55 bones to watch it..

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

sorry ED ur right, the drinks got me, but I always luv insightful input

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least you realize that all you've done is throw "s@t" out there.

Yup, that about sums up the value of your comment.

But thanks for the lesson in ontological reasoning.

Posted by: p1funk | June 12, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Go see my last post, sorry I just think soccer sucks, Illl move on...

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyways, I don't get the hate for soccer.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 9:07 PM

jealousy on the part of those who force themselves to watch NBA or MLB?

it's all good... any competition has the potential to be compelling.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I get it. I hate basketball and still watch, because there's always the possibility something amazing happens. Some kid hit a grand slam at his first MLB at bat today.

But I prefer your wives.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

sorry ED ur right, the drinks got me, but I always luv insightful input

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 10:12 PM

Possibly a RI first..

Nicely done rb_

It's easy to grin, When your ship comes in, And you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile, When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

"...And this is because elite athletes by definition are those that play football, baseball, basketball, hockey."

Actually, athletes are drawn to those sports because of the chance to make money.

One of the biggest issues today is that so many elite athletes give up dual sport participation to concentrate on a money sport.

Top notch sprinters and jumpers and throwers give those activites up thinking they'll get a football scholarship when all they want to do is track and field.

Then there is the sad issue where black boys don't play baseball and white boys don't play basketball because, for whatever reason, they've been conditioned to believe that each race has its own sport.

One of the hardest things I had to do as a track coach is to convince a slow black boy that it was okay to run 800m or 1600mm while preaching to a fast white boy that he could compete and win in the 100mm or the 200mm.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

McNabb's been on the team for a couple of months and he's already drawing Redskins players into his charity events. This guy is a leader on and off the field - something the Redskins have been missing for awhile. I like the answer about TO as well. We don't need no stinkin' TO...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 12, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 10:21 PM

huh? Mormons are mostly in the southern part of Idaho. even then, multiple kids is more typical than wives.

we're up closer to Canada, traditional monogamy and all that. although given the Aryan nut-jobs lurking in the woods, we've learned to think of Mormons as "our new liberal friends".

sounds like you're into the 70s LA swinger scene?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

"...well my 3 nieces love soccer..."

We should encourage kids to do anything that supports their putting down the handheld devices and pulling out the earphones.

Kids need to go out and play in the heat and sun.

Even if the game is something we find 'boring'.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 10:38 PM

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Or...the Ipad loves to help me type.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 9:07 PM
------------------------------------------
Diesel, I travel abroad occasionally and soccer seems to be huge everywhere but the USA. I watch it, but I cannot get too excited about it. I never really played that much soccer as a kid and that's probably why I don't get much out of it now, but I do understand its popularity. To me, the game would be a whole lot better if they allowed a few stiff arms, but hey, that's just the football fan in me talking.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 12, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 10:47 PM
------------------------------------------
The key is to set the pace in the first millimeter and finish hard in the last two millimeters...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 12, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

RSH-

I'm by no means a fanatic. I would put myself in the world cup/Olympic category of fan.

Soccer is a gateway sport. At least for me and probably millions of Americans. I excelled in soccer but ultimately found long-term success in football and baseball.

Once again soccer is a GREAT sport for kids but most kids not being female transition into other sports.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

"..the long-distance 1600 millimeter sounds daunting....but even most white boys could run 100 millimeters pretty fast..."

Running 1600mm competively is a matter of training and good coaching.

A competitive 100mm runner is a high school boy who can finish at sub-10.60 sec..

Here, in Palm Beach County Fla., we have a ton of kids who are able to do both well.

But most of them wind up playing baseball or football because they want the scholarship.

Jozy Altidore, btw, is the one soccer player from our area who's decided to go his own way.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 11:02 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

South Korea 2-1 Greece
Argentina 19-7 Nigeria
USA 1-1 England

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

2-0
1-0
1-1

Not too shabby, but I prefer your wives.

In short, not being a cow or a condiment, I needed a gimmick. Just rolling this out there because it seems to annoy people.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 11:02 PM

just fooling w/ you moe...

once said up here that jokes aren't funny if you need to explain them, but here goes:

even I could run 100 millimeters in less than 10.60 seconds.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 11:08 PM

wasn't really part of the football vs. football debate...

for those who are, please continue.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

That's wearing a little thin anyway.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Smack-

I prefer your wives..

I like it, although the girlfriend is where it's at.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

"Altidore is the future of American soccer. He clearly breaks the mold and no doubt could have had success in any sport he focused on."

We'd like to see more kids like him as iconoclasts are always appreciated.

And yes, he would've succeeded in any sport.

But what's remarkable is that Jozy Altidore resisted the very strong pull football has on blacks boys in our area.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Seems to have fallen flat.

So I prefer your wives.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

hi !
Cheap retail watch, sunglasses, belt, hats/caps, High quality T-shirts,
ED hardy t-shirts,ED Hardy hoodies,ED hardy ,Jeans,GUCCI shoes,LV Handbag,Chanel
Handbag……high quality,low price.welcome to

Posted by: linda38 | June 12, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Fortunately, Altidore resisted the urge to suck at both.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

any tips on how to get in on linda's gig?

earns money (not bonus points), doesn't require engaging others on the blog, *and* involves high-quality/low-price clothing, accessories, etc. for men and women alike!

not sure what she thinks about association football, though.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I prefer linda's wife.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

S1-

I can't help but feel some sort of pride by helping you find your nitch.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

My country and what a country; so egoistic, yet so blessed. I cherish the system, the people, the culture, proud to be an American. Naivete and delusion are of the same womb. Please America, when it comes to Soccer game, please and I'm seriously begging, please shut the "F" up. If 90% of world population that are fascinated with the game reads Redskins posts concerning Soccer, the entire 90% will simply assume Americans in general are either naive or delusional.
Now, can we just focus on what we know best? The oblong shaped hand ball that we have the audacity of calling it football. Folks, actual football is presently being played at its biggest stage called "World Cup" in South Africa, and actually being watched by 90% of world population, including me.

Posted by: abxinc | June 12, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

S1-

I can't help but feel some sort of pride by helping you find your nitch.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer that your wife feel this pride.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

i was just at a party with TWO soccer coaches. i asked them about the offsides penalty. one was dogmatic, saying something like how offsides was integral to the game. the other, obviously the more contemplative of the two, said he'd think about it.

comments?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 12, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

sorry ED ur right, the drinks got me, but I always luv insightful input

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 10:12 PM |

No need to apologize. See you 'round the blog.

Peace

Now...back to football!

Posted by: edvar | June 12, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Can we hear more about the party?

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | June 12, 2010 11:43 PM

i'm sure you're right. but, still, why is offsides a penalty?

i would really like to hear from soccer/hockey experts.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 13, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

i'm sure you're right. but, still, why is offsides a penalty?

i would really like to hear from soccer/hockey experts.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 13, 2010 12:00 AM

Walter, simply put, would NFL allow a wide receiver to jump snap?

Posted by: abxinc | June 13, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

omg!....

just reading back over the comments... totally cracking up over the idea of a 100mm race... hahaaha

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 13, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

S1-

I get the humor but many probably don't. For the record....I wouldn't f your wife with your dick.

I've given worse a NBA Jam session but only out of sympathy.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 13, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

abxinc,
no. of course not. because in football one team has possession of the ball. soccer/hockey are "flow" games, where the same players move the ball back and forth.

soccer/hockey is more like b-ball. wouldn't b-ball suck if there were an offsides penalty?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 13, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Boils down to the architecture of the game.

But this is still allowed...

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 13, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

SMACK1,
"architecture"...nice...(but still...)

that guy really, really, really loves dennis berkham...wow...

i think maybe soccer is even more important to the rest of the world than football is here? a soccer hero can be a hero is 50 countries, right?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 13, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

re great athletes in soccer?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 13, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Goodnight Iceman..

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

It's actually sad..

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 13, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 13, 2010 12:13 AM

Same as Soccer, only one team has possession but no downs.
Have a great night Walter.

Posted by: abxinc | June 13, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

7:30 am Monday.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 13, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 12, 2010 6:01 PM

Totally agree with you, brownwood26. Hope BW signs with us eventually.

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 13, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

HAIL!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 13, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

He's waiting until AFTER minicamp to join us - Westbrook.

Book it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 13, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

"it is my contention that soccer (and hockey) would be improved were "offisides" eliminated as a penalty.comments?Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch"

I think offsides is perfectly valid as a penalty call, except that it's easy for fans to disagree with, like the balk in baseball or traveling in basketball, and therefore is likely to draw heavy criticism if it gets called at a pivotal point. So to save grief, officials don't call it much, which makes it all the more controversial when they finally do.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 13, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"of course there are great athletes in soccer. every country produces great athletes. the question is what sport the best athletes choose. here it's b-ball or football. for the rest of the world, since it's MUCH CHEAPER to play soccer - all you need is a ball - the best athletes play soccer.Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch"

To me, this is common sense. There's another factor: soccer is played at its highest level by athletes who are essentially average in size. Basketball and football aren't. So of the three sports, soccer is the one likely to be available at the highest level to the greatest percentage of the population.

If they'd grown up in Britain, Darrell Green or Allen Iverson might have been the world's great soccer players, instead of anomalies in football and basketball.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 13, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

To Alex:

Maryland very much in play as a Big Ten expansion target?
Posted by John Taylor on June 12, 2010 10:56 AM ET
Exactly one month ago today, a report surfaced that Vanderbilt, Maryland and Georgia Tech were possibilities for an expanded Big Ten.

We openly scoffed at the Vanderbilt portion of the rumor, but paid little attention to the other schools mentioned. Apparently, at least as far as one of those two were concerned, our ears should've perked up a little bit.

According to Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune, not only is Rutgers -- long-rumored to be on the radar, if for nothing more than the potential of bringing the New York/New Jersey market into the league's television footprint -- still of interest to the conference, but Maryland should be considered part of the expansion equation as well. Greenstein laid out the case for the current ACC member.

Maryland is a large public research institution in a Big Ten border state with two substantial TV markets (Washington and Baltimore) and a decent athletic history.

Maryland is an AAU member and ranks 53rd nationally among public universities (tied with Ohio State and ahead of Purdue, Minnesota, Indiana, Michigan State, Iowa and Nebraska) but has struggled to graduate its football and men's basketball players, producing weak Academic Progress Rate numbers.

It still seems like an "odd" fit for the Big Ten, but Greenstein has been pretty much spot on throughout all of this conference tumult so it bears keeping at least an eye on.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 13, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

moooooooove along, slowpokes...

WaPo editorial consensus was that we needed another thread on DMac's football camp.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 13, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Ah! Yes, the WAPO sports writers love affair with McNaab continues. I predict before January 2011 these same writers will be second guessing themselves. IMHO, the McNaab deal will prove to be a mistake.

Posted by: theBozyn | June 13, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

You've got to be kidding!! I just typed a huge post with zero cussing and it gets snagged for review by JReid? What the heck?! Commies

Lol

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | June 13, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah McNabb is a great guy we get it. He's a great leader we get it.. the question is since he is such a great guy and leader why did the Eagles trade him?? For only a 2nd round pick no less (think what the Bears had to give up to get Cutler and to a divison rival). So the only question is how much does McNabb still have in the tank? apparently the Eagles think not much. Now no doubt a huge upgrade over JC.. who the skins I think would not have traded if they didn't get McNabb.. so that part is good. But would the Skins have been better off using that 2nd round pick to get say Clausen?? Time will tell...

Posted by: sovine08 | June 14, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Good for jersey sales should of been held in DC. But wait a one year contract and Eagles having a bad season = McNabb going back to Philly. This has been one boring off saeson

Posted by: MPWTIAN | June 14, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Please get a new story or a new job Mr. Reid, your stories suck!

Posted by: GatorsnSkins | June 15, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse