Donovan McNabb out Thursday, Clinton Portis uncertain

As expected, quarterback Donovan McNabb (ankle) has been ruled out of Thursday's preseason finale against the Arizona Cardinals, and the Redskins' starters are not expected to play in the game at University of Phoenix Stadium.

"I think it's a little bit too sore," Coach Mike Shanahan said after practice Sunday in ruling out McNabb.

Injured in the second preseason game against Baltimore, McNabb sat out Friday's 16-11 victory over the New York Jets. At the time of McNabb's injury, it was believed the Redskins would exercise caution with the 12-year veteran in hopes of having him available for the regular-season opener Sept. 12 against the NFC East rival Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field.

As for McNabb's status for the opener, "I really don't know for sure," Shanahan said. "That's why it's day-to-day."

Portis suffered an ankle injury early in the victory over the Jets. Shanahan indicated he would be surprised if Portis, expected to open the season as the team's No. 1 running back, sat out practice all week.

It's "not a big setback," Shanahan said. "I would anticipate him being able to practice in a couple of days. But I said that about Malcolm Kelly, too, so you just don't know for sure."

Shanahan declined to reveal his plans for Thursday's game, but several Redskins first-team players said they did not expect to play against Arizona. It does not appear that there are still position battles to be resolved, but players are still fighting for roster spots.

"You have a good idea who your starters will be, but there's always a couple of positions where you're not really sure," Shanahan said. "And then there's usually the second-, third- and fourth-teamers at a few positions ... you really don't know."

By Jason Reid  |  August 29, 2010; 1:35 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Donovan McNabb , Mike Shanahan , Preseason schedule , preseason games
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Devin Thomas waits for final chance
Next: Haynesworth & Shanahan: Redskins' budding buddy comedy

Comments

first to say that dm doesn't need to play thursday and had better be ready for dallas.

Posted by: kidcarbon | August 29, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Antonio Bryant anyone? From 4 year for $28 mill to unemployed. Might be better than several of our guys.

Posted by: will_ga | August 29, 2010 1:47 PM

How is is knee?

Posted by: TWISI | August 29, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Is Donovan participating in practice?

Posted by: zgg0300 | August 29, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Lions got some nice young RB's they'll cutting pretty soon.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 29, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I think I've heard this story before. Old used up guys get hurt and can't play. The question why do the Skins have so many old used up guys.

Posted by: theBozyn | August 29, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

first to say, are you f*cking kidding me?

Posted by: RedskinsNo1 | August 29, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

first to say, are you f*cking kidding me?

Posted by: RedskinsNo1 | August 29, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

first to say, are you f*cking kidding me?

Posted by: RedskinsNo1 | August 29, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

first to say, are you f*cking kidding me?

Posted by: RedskinsNo1 | August 29, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

first to say, are you f*cking kidding me?

Posted by: RedskinsNo1 | August 29, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

first to say, are you ****ing kidding me?

Posted by: RedskinsNo1 | August 29, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Also the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth to say it.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 29, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

If McNabb doesn't play, he's a p*ssy! I'm already sick of him being hurt all the time. Maybe Philly knew what they were doing.

Posted by: nixx46 | August 29, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

And so begins the McNabb injury saga. Two draft picks traded away for a one year guy who probably won't even play that much due to chronic injury. The fans are as much to blame for this as the owner. You guys never learn. Every year you say we are just a few players away. Another year of being wrong again.

Posted by: sjp879 | August 29, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"Lions got some nice young RB's they'll cutting pretty soon."

Yeah, but apparently Shanahallen only likes old RBs with a lot of mileage on their tires.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | August 29, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

"Trick-eye" used to do the say the same thing before games with Elway all the time - Elway always played. It's only a ploy to get the Cowboy coaching staff to waste hours of pre-game time watching needless tape of backup Grossman. McNabb will be there 100%.

Posted by: GarrisonLiberty | August 29, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I just heard McNabb is going to be out of the first game against Dallas. How ironic is that. I guess they do not want Donovan to take a fourth consecutive loss to Dallas because Dallas will when this game with or without him. Seems like that same old fragile-minded McNabb that was in Philly; now you see why they did not want him. And as for Portis, he is done. Portis is physically fragile.

Posted by: barryncity | August 29, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Redskins need to make McNabb a one-and-done player. Do not resign this guy. He has some of the strangest types of injuries ever since that loss to NE in the Super Bowl. There always been something with McNabb. Or should I say, the same old so-called injury excuses to compensate for what he cannot do to lead a team to win a SB.

Posted by: barryncity | August 29, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Say what you will about JC. With a bad offensive line, he took a licking, and kept on ticking.

Posted by: jburnetti | August 29, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Would have been nice to have a reliable QB, that didn't throw too many interceptions... and had a solid arm...

Where can you find one of those a few weeks before the season opener?

Posted by: docwhocuts | August 29, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

McNabb will be fine for the season opener. This is not a news that McNabb was not going to play the 4th pre-season oneway or another.

I see some bitter Eagle fans visiting Skins site. Too bad they are stuck with a backup as their starter in Kolb.

Posted by: SeedofChange | August 29, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I WANT MY WEEKLY JASON CAMPBELL EXCUSE COLUMN! This town is truly cursed... We wanted this guy to get a "stinger" for two seasons and it never happened. Raider fan is now going to experience a successful season because Gradkowski will be put back in his rightful place

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | August 30, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I am not worried bout Mcnabb. I think he will playm and play well. if he doesn't, I think Rex can bea Dallas. Has anyone watched any of their games? They are horrible. Not sure what happened to them form last year to this, but we have taken a quantum lep forward and they have regressed. I see it being a low scoring game if Mcnabb doesn't play, but this year we are on the righ side of the low scoring games.

I am more concerned with Portis. Behind him we are trash. Larry Johnson does not have the speed and Parker, if he makes the team just runs into people and falls down. The rookies have shown nothing either.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | August 30, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse