McNabb's influence, leadership are worth long-term investment

Redskins players have praised quarterback Donovan McNabb for his leadership and toughness.

Working with inexperienced running backs, a group of wide receivers not considered among the league's upper echelon, and an offensive line undergoing an overhaul, McNabb has helped the Redskins (3-3) split their first six games. Washington seems to be in a much more stable position at quarterback than it has been in a long time, but there has been no announcement of a multiyear extension for the 12-year veteran.

Coach Mike Shanahan apparently is taking a wait-and-see approach, observing how McNabb develops in his offense before making a long-term commitment to a signal caller who turns 34 in November. Shanahan runs the football operation, so his opinion about McNabb is really the only one that matters in the main building at Redskins Park.

McNabb's stats are not overwhelmingly impressive. He ranks only 24th in the NFL with a 78.8 passer rating and has thrown five touchdown passes with five interceptions. The six-time Pro Bowler is sixth in the league with 1,561 yards, but his so-so 58.1 completion percentage is lower than his career mark (59 percent).

Of course, McNabb also has been hit a lot. He has been sacked 14 times -- the league's fourth-highest total -- and continues to battle.

So what does all this mean?

The Redskins became stronger at quarterback the moment they acquired McNabb from the Philadelphia Eagles on Easter Sunday. McNabb is representing the franchise well on and off the field, and he wants to be part of what Shanahan is attempting to build.

The Redskins face the Chicago Bears on Sunday at Soldier Field, travel to Detroit in Week 8 and then begin their bye week. There's a good chance Washington could be 5-3 through their first eight games as they enter their break.

Perhaps the week off would be a good time for the Redskins and McNabb's agent, Fletcher N. Smith, to make significant progress toward completing a new deal for McNabb. Or how much more must Shanahan see to determine whether to increase his investment in McNabb?

By Jason Reid  | October 20, 2010; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb, quarterbacks, wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Statistical analysis: Lucky turnovers, misleading tackle stats and other notes
Next: Jeff Fisher: Titans were interested in Haynesworth trade

Comments

FIRST to say McNabb will get better with the offense and earn a contract extension. I don't see us giving up 2 picks, especially a 2nd and not sign him!

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

hess--Do you think that if the Redskins had traded Haynesworth to Houston for a ham sandwich that the Washington Post would have traded J. Reid to the Houston Chronicle for a jar of mustard?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 20, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Make it a jar of mayo and you've got yourself a deal!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

McNabb's influence, leadership are worth long-term investment

Mr. Reid, you gotta be kidding.

You are, right?

I mean, how is a jeykl-n-hyde, 35 year old quarterback worth a long term deal when, in 5 games, he's yet to produce the type of 60 minutes performance the likes of Brady, Manning, Schaub, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, heck Charlie Batch, produce week in and week out?

To quote Tom Jackson, c'mon man!

Get a higher standard.

McNabb is worth a short term deal with a big front end pay out.

The redskins should go into the draft looking to find his replacement in the Ponders, Mallets, Lucks, Lookers of the world.

Long term is 5 years in the NFL.

And in 5 years, McNabb won't be a redskin.

Book it!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 20, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

First off nerd boy the turnovers they are getting are forced by great hits not luck.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 20, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

I'd take that as a compliment! In fact, it sounds like a super hero: "Here comes NERD BOY!!!!!"

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | October 20, 2010; 8:00 AM ET

Jason, your suckage is amazing. You have no independent opinion of McNabb based on what you've seen on the field. It's all "his stats are down," "players say..."

Go read what Keim wrote about McNabb under the section "duds" following last week's game. Shanahan needs to see better footwork. They've been working on McNabb's footwork, but it hasn't taken hold yet. If he doesn't get better then the 'Skins will franchise him and trade him to recover what they can of the draft picks they gave up for him.

Even Chris Collingsworth talked about this on Sunday, and he was only in town for a few weeks. You live here and go to the Park every day. Why don't you, as an "insider" know this? Why haven't you figured it out yourself? As a "beat reporter" you are always beat by everyone out there.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 20, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is worth a short term deal with a big front end pay out.

Long term is 5 years in the NFL.

And in 5 years, McNabb won't be a redskin.

Book it!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 20, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I agree, but maybe a 3-year deal makes sense. If he can't get it gone in 3, it won't happen.

I would like to get a QB in the draft but I think we have to put that on the backburner. We have too many needs and very few picks, especially high round picks. We can't afford to use our 1st or 2nd on a backup that might not see the field for 3 years. A monstrous NT, big play WR, and zone-blocking RG are our main needs that I'd like to pick in those 2 rounds. Who knows, maybe we trade down and accumulate some more picks, then MAYBE I see us going QB.

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | October 20, 2010; 8:00 AM ET

It really hasn't seemed like he has been sacked "that much" to be 4th in sacks...I reckon thats from all the bye weeks with other teams. Until all the teams have had their bye...I think all stats should be presented by average per game instead of overall...otherwise they are useless and STUPID. I know, I know...that kinda math is way over JReids head.

But I guess being on pace for 37 sacks isn't great (there...I did if for ya Reid).

Posted by: PlayAction | October 20, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

3 yr deal makes sense for us, BUT McNabb and is agent are going to want a 5 yr deal.

Based on the picks used to acquire McNabb and our lack of picks next year, they have us over a barrel.

5 yrs 70-85 mil

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 20, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

McNabb isn't going anywhere...I'm not surprised by much in sports, but I can truly say I'd be completely stunned if McNabb isn't re-signed this offseason. Most teams don't engage in contract talks during the season, so I'm not at all worried if nothing gets done during the bye week.

Moe, I'm a little surprised by your stance...I think McNabb has about 3-5 years of good football left in him and if we can keep the guy upright, I don't see why you don't sign him to a 5 year deal to give him the security he wants and the stability at the position we need. Anyone who follows the NFL knows a 5 year deal won't last 5 years (just like AH's contract wasn't gonna last the 7 year term it's slated for), and giving him a 5 year deal that's really a dummy 3 year deal is the best case scenario for all involved.

I like the guy and he's the unquestioned leader/MVP of our offense thus far. No reason to wash our hands of him or lowball him on a contract.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 20, 2010 8:12 AM |

beep, in comparison, the redskins were looking for a second round draft pick for AH and the WaPo was looking for the ham sandwich in the JReid deal. the deal fell through when the WaPo also demanded a bag of chips and a soda in the trade. sources close to the chronicle said JReid ate the food and drank the soda before the deal hit the table, or should I say before the food hit the table. when asked to comment on the deal JReid said, "you'll have to ask sources close to the deal".

Posted by: hessone | October 20, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 20, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 8:23 AM

Yes...and NERD should always be emphasized and never ever in lowercase.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 20, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 8:29 AM |

I'd throw in a center if possible

Posted by: hessone | October 20, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

5 yrs 70-85 mil

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 20, 2010 8:39 AM

I don't agree with the "over the barrel" statement. No other team will give McNabb a deal like that unless he plays better than he has so far.

And I think the Redskins still have the option of franchising McNabb and trading him to another team. They won't get a second and a third for him, but there is value there to be recouped.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 20, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Yeah PA, that's rule #1. Wow, NERDS these days!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 20, 2010 8:44 AM

So franchise him and he hits the cap (if there is one) for 20 mil all next season. Can't do it...

He's not elite, but he's a bottom-half of the Top 10 QB. There will always be a market for guys like that...starting in Minn, Zona, etc.

That's the price you pay when you use picks for a 33 yr old QB on his last year of a contract.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 20, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

NO WAY!

I'm very pleased with the results so far but frankly, I think we'd be even further along without 5 and his inaccuracy.

I can't be the only person out here wishing he would pull a hamstring or something just to see how Grossman would run this offense?

Posted by: kone | October 20, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep

This is where I am.

Hey, Donovan McNabb is one heck of a quarterback and a high quality person.

But, if the issue is long term thinking, from what I've seen from him so far, I'd move him to Minn/Arizona, take picks in return, start Rex for a season, and let the rookie I draft grow into the position.

(Heck, for all we know, John Beck might prove to be a player as he really hasn't been in the league all that long.)

The next draft will feature some high quality, NFL ready starting quarterbacks, guys who've had a ton of starts, are very mature, and come from great NFL-style passing programs.

I'd save my long term money for one of them.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 20, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I can see a 5 year deal with the last year cancelable based on certain conditions (like a payment). Donavon is a big upgrade over the past and with no replacement/upgrades in the near future.

Sign him. Build the O line. Groom a replacement (Beck, or draft one in 2012) Yet another reason why we have to STOP trading away our draft picks...

Posted by: edvar | October 20, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 20, 2010 8:49 AM

I don't see it. At his age, he doesn't want a one year deal, even at 20 mil. And, I don't think 20 mil is the right number, nor do I accept that there will be a cap next year.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 20, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 8:29 AM |

I'd throw in a center if possible

Posted by: hessone | October 20, 2010 8:44 AM

Cosign that.

And a FS.

Posted by: edvar | October 20, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Only the Redskins would sign a quarterback with rapidly declining skills to a long-term contract. No doubt the contract will pay him like he is among the elite players in the game. This is precisely why the Redskins will forever be horrible.

The Cowboys are the NFL's model franchise and the Redskins would do well to emulate them. Oh, wait a minute. They already did that when Snyder bought the big video screens. Nevermind.

On a different note, Torain is an excellent running back...for a CFL team. You'll never learn.

Star Pride!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | October 20, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

kone, if you honestly think that there's ANY possible way that Grossman is better than McNabb, you're far and away the craziest person on this blog...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

Spend some time watching other 'elite' or veteran quarterbacks, and you might see what I do:

McNabb is too jekyl n hyde.

His great throws are followed by a series of poor ones.

A times, it seems like he's befuddled while managing the game.

I watch other NFL q-backs, and their accuracy and over all game management for 60 minutes is what D Mac has proved us in the final quarter of a lot of contests.

Like Andy Reid, I want 60 minutes of efficiency as the last minute, come from behind stuff is getting stale.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 20, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2010 8:58 AM

With a little bit of a mean streak too.

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 20, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2010 8:58 AM

Posted by: BigBlueStar | October 20, 2010 8:57 AM

Kone, I take that back...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Six games into all of this peeps...I think too early to judge McNabb in this system...it's new to almost everyone...pieces are missing...and the skins were thrown right into the fire somewhat. If he and the team gel towards the end of the season...I'd like to see him for the next three years while we groom the future QB...whoever that is.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 20, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is too jekyl n hyde.

His great throws are followed by a series of poor ones.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 20, 2010 8:58 AM

This is so true and almost certainly attributal to his footwork. If someone had worked on his fundamentals back in his Syracuse days or first couple of years in the League it might be different. I can't help but think that a 12 year vet being hounded about techniques that are too deeply engrained in his muscle-memory is only making matters worse. He gets by on natural talent and leadership. Shanahan had 11 years of tape to go on before acquiring him. If his footwork was a dealbreaker, it should've broken the deal. Setting out to try and change him now seems like an odd choice.

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 20, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I think MC5 is a stop gap QB, with good leadership skills and average QB skills , NOT ELITE, and should not be anything other than a mentor to the Next young rookie QB we draft.His accuracy is questionable at best, and his inconsistency is annoying at crunch time, like 4th quarter 2 minute drill stuff Arggg. this team should not expect to be in the hunt, if MC5 does not show more consistincy in the passing game, but that was his big knock in Philly. enough said. short term at best !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 20, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 20, 2010 9:15 AM

Yeah, in a PERFECT world we wouldn't have done this deal. But given the choices we had....

Shanahan has had a lot of experience with QB's. Maybe he's overconfident of his abilities. Or, maybe he's right.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 20, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

My girl says I have fantastic footwork!

Hey...did you know that people actually comment on threads one, two, three days old...NERDS! If a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is around...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 20, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 20, 2010 8:58 AM

Moe, so does everyone.

And you know who has it? New England, Indy, and New Orleans.

That's it. That's the list.

I don't consider McNabb an elite QB...the only guys on that list IMO are P. Manning, Brady, and Brees. I would, however, put McNabb in the next tier after the "elite" guys.

That said, McNabb is in his first year in a new offense...first time he's had to learn a new system since he was a rookie. Even though Reid and Shanahan have roots in the WCO, they have different systems nonetheless. And to expect McNabb to come out firing on all cylinders off the bat (especially after missing most of the preseason with an injury) is foolish. McNabb being up and down is to be expected this first year, and quite frankly, I give the guy credit for going for over 400 yards passing in just his 2nd game as a Redskin.

Bottom line is this: dude has kept us in every game this year. Much like Elway, his impact can't simply be read in a box score. It's little things here and there, making plays when there is no play to be made. THAT'S why he needs to stay because guys like that are very hard to find.

Or have you forgotten the last 20 years?

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'd throw in a center if possible

Posted by: hessone | October 20, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I'd like an upgrade at C also, but Rabach is the lesser of the other evils.

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Mcnabb will get injured eventually. That much is certain and has been proven by him in the past. He hasnt made it through 6 straight seasons, dont see why he makes it through this one w/ our porous O-line and RB shuffle.

Who are all these great pro ready CFB QBs. I watch a good bit and would like to know who you think we should get?

Posted by: Stu27 | October 20, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigBlueStar | October 20, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I think all these trolls are the same RETARD. Get back on the short bus little boy, school already started!

And we didn't imitate your video board. We actually had an intelligent ADULT put ours out of the way of play. Haven't you heard, they're punter proof.....

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Really i only see three elite QBs this year, one of which i dont think leaves school(Luck). So Mallet and Locker will pro both go top 10.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 20, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

My girl says I have fantastic footwork!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 20, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow, do these NERDS have jobs???

If a NERD rips his pocket protector and no one is around.......

Posted by: monk811 | October 20, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
Maybe but the running game is much improved and guys are running wide open all over the field, someone just needs to deliver the football - not 5s strong point if you've seen any of his time in Phi and now here. His decisions too, have been not what you'd expect from an experienced leader.

I'm not looking for him to blow his knee up for cripes sake...just a half or so on the sidelines with a tweaked hammy.

Posted by: kone | October 20, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Just report the news, please.

Posted by: themantoyou | October 20, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

moe, thankfully it had no bearing on the outcome of the game, but the "should have been fan interference" call that never got called is why the JVill/Tenn game outdrew the ALCS game on Monday night....when Selig retires, it will be a good thing...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 20, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Star Pride!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | October 20, 2010 8:57 AM
-----------------------------------------
correction...you mean Gay Pride..
F@g..Tony Homo

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 20, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Here's something for you Dall-ass trolls...stick this in your pipe and smoke it:

Wade Phillips: Cowboys are a better 1-4 team than other 1-4 teams
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 20, 2010 7:47 AM ET
Former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells liked to say that his teams were what their record said they were. But current Cowboys coach Wade Phillips says his team is better than its record would suggest.

"I guess we think we're a better 1-4 team than some teams that are 1-4," Phillips said. "I mean mentally. They don't think they might not win the next game. Gosh, we might not win this next one. This team thinks . . . I still think they think they're going to win this next game."

There actually aren't any other 1-4 teams in the NFL right now, so I'm not sure which teams Phillips is referring to when he says "some teams that are 1-4." But Phillips' phrasing is interesting: He says the Cowboys think of themselves as a good team, even if their record is 1-4.

But the whole point of Parcells' old saying is that it's irrelevant how good the Cowboys think they are. What matters is how good their record says they are. And their record says they're two and a half games behind the Giants and Eagles in the NFC East, and a game and a half behind the Redskins.

So with the Giants coming to town on Monday night, the Cowboys had better be right when "they think they're going to win this next game." Unless they're going to be satisfied thinking they're better than other 1-5 teams.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Kone, the alternative is Rex Grossman. Rex f-ing Grossman. You know, the guy who has trouble with the center/QB exchange? The guy who throws pick 6s like they're going out of style? So THAT guy would be an improvement over McNabb?

THAT'S what makes you crazy.

Wanting better than McNabb I get. Wanting Rex f-ing Grossman instead, I don't.

You wanna know how he runs this offense? Here's what he did in Houston last year:

3 for 9, 33 yards, 1 INT. For those keeping score at home, that's an amazing 5.6 QB rating. Not yards per pass...QB RATING.

Instead of rooting for it, you should be praying to whatever god you hold dear that we NEVER see Grossman take the field...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

beep beep everybody

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 20, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2010 9:44 AM

Cobwoys looking to play the Super Bowl in the new stadium. This is it. Should be a good game.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 20, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan has had a lot of experience with QB's.

I think if McNabb is kept long term, the idea is to minimize him via a strong running game.

And that makes sense.

Where we are in a passing era, having a solid running game to lean on would mean you could go through games where McNabb really isn't as important as two backs who, behind a great o-line, can crank out yardage and move the ball.

Depending on him more as a game manager than a guy who wins games with his arm means McNabb is worth a 3-5 deal with a big front end pay out.

And I bet that is what he gets.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 20, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm just sick of worm-burners (already) on 3rd and 5 to a wide open Davis.

Posted by: kone | October 20, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan is smart to wait. First while McNabb is a big improvemnet over Campbell.. then again who wouldn't be??? His numbers so far are only so so. Lets see him for a whole season before we decide. Not to mention we still haven't determined his durability.. can he make it through all 16 games. Lastly what's the harm in waiting?? I don't see a lot of teams rushing to get a 34 year old QB and the Skins can always hit him with a franchise tag. Snyder in past has always been in a rush to sign players past their prime to hugh contracts.. it's time to try await and see approach..

Posted by: sovine08 | October 20, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

There's a good chance Washington could be 3-5 through their first eight games as they enter their break.

I'm just adding this to un-do the jinx Reid put on our team.

Posted by: jgarrisn | October 20, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I do not care to see Rex Grossman taking snaps in games that matter that have yet to be won--no way. McNabb's patented bounce passes and goofy smile were part of the package. Knew about it already and agree Eagles fans had seen enuff of tis over 11 yrs--but they have been competing to position themselves for superbowls that whole time--'skin's are sniffing for playoffs on a consistent basis. W\O DM I do not think we'd be 3--3.....He is way waaaaaaay better then 'skin's have had in QB pos many years---w some better play calling (ah hem--MORE RUN's--especially in red zone!!), we might have anothr win.....going forwd needs to be more runs

We should be looking at 3 years max w DM after this year that's it.....this year's and next years offseason moves via draft mostly (hopefully) and a prudent FA pick up here or there should be to re-build o & d-lines first (TWillimas I see better as a guard long term--arms too short for tackle), get a stud cover CB, a real FS, 1--2 good LBs who can play 3--4 (London isn't gonna last much longer) and if there's a decent QB prospect grab him but don't reach. As far as WR's I think MKelly comes back and works this off season, and we get 1--2 more mid round. Same w RBs

Posted by: tabtool | October 20, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The skins just waseted two picks on McNabb, he doesn't have to sign an extension if he doesen't want to. He will walk at the end of the year, sign with Minnesota replace Favre and probably win a Superbowl with all of those offensive weapons. Or he may sign with the Cardinals and throw to Larry Fitzgerld. Why would he stay with the skins and an offensive that is absolutely talentless.

Posted by: ment13 | October 20, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

sovine08 wrote: First while McNabb is a big improvemnet over Campbell..
-------------------------------------

Is he? Really? I mean aside from being able to get out of a few sacks? Think about it...

I'm far far from being a JC fan but how might he have been with this improved running game, offense, coaching staff?

Posted by: kone | October 20, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone is wondering...DM is the 24th (that's 2-4) rated passer in NFL.

People have posted DM is "waaaaay" better than recent Skins QBs. Y'all really think JC couldn't be the 24th rated QB here now?

Oh, and in case you need to be reminded JC was the FIFTEENTH (that's 1-5) rated QB in 2009. For a absolutely PATHETIC coach and team.

I live in Iggles country and have had to watch DM "5" for seemingly forever. He quite possibly is the most over-rated QB of all time.

Posted by: kone | October 20, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I'll take JC and the picks back any day of the week...

Posted by: kone | October 20, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I think you Washington fans are turning into Philly fans. Your team is competitive and that is because of McNabb. The weaknesses of this team are obvious, offensive line and secondary. The receivers are coming around as is the running game. Maybe the best thing is for McNabb to go to the Vikings, then you all can play out your next 10 years in the NFC East cellar. Quit being negative and let a competitive team grow. You have some very good young players. Out.

Posted by: RUKiddingMe5 | October 20, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I beg to differ...

Nothing negative about it. I couldn't be more pleased with where we are and where we're headed.

We are there because of Shanahan(s). The coaching change, and the meddlesome owner having to get out of the way because of it, is what has changed the culture of this team - that's why they are competitive. The play hard, mostly smart and disciplined football which has been enough to turn a few of last year's Ls into Ws.

Sorry, I just don't think the DM aquisition was a wise one nor do I think he's had that much of a positive impact.

Posted by: kone | October 20, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

RE: McNabb's influence, leadership are worth long-term investment

True dat. But also understand in the Bizzaro World of Danny Snyder... a long-term investment is from now until the first weekend of January 2011. Anything beyond that (i.e., post-season play) is just gravy.

With walk out/lock out still looming, Danny and company will not tie up big money in any free agent, at least until they have a better sense of immediate return on investment.

I also suspect that McNabb is already plotting to don the purple and gold of Minnesota before next season begins.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 20, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

McNabb's can be erratic when he 'senses' pressure. But I think all this stat talk is silly. You won't have great stats unless you have great players. The offense as a whole doesn't. The skins need to acquire a top flight receiver. Once that happens everything else will open up. As far as learning the new system, progression happens over time. It takes a while to flourish.

Posted by: Satellitedownish | October 20, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid needs to stop it already. he post crap like this and all it does it stir un trouble. he reported for weeks AH was going to be traded according to his sources it was a done deal. well, was it? NOPE! not he writes this crap article. let me tell you a few reasons why you WAIT instead of sign now.

1. first and formost is who knows if a season is even going to happen next year? why sign him to a contract (by the way gets froze on a non-football season, meaning if we sign him for 4 years and no football next year, we still have him for 4 years).

2. the bar has been already set with Tom Bradys contract that he signed. so if we sign him now or next year its going to be the same price.

3. lets wait and see how he comes along for the year before committing long term. what if ( and i know the chances are slim to none) d-mac really never gets its in this system? then we are stuck. if he does well then we can sign him (see number 2 above).

4. d-mac isnt going anywheres at the end of the year if we want him. he will sign an extension if offered. so lets say for some reason we cant agree on a contract price, we still have the option to franchise d-mac.
so i ask you now Jason Reid, whats the advantages to doing the contract now?

Posted by: snyper94z28 | October 22, 2010 4:28 AM | Report abuse