Michael Vick: "It's not me against Donovan"

While Donovan McNabb attracted a crowd at Redskins Park Wednesday, the group around Michael Vick's locker in Philadelphia was also several reporters deep.

A week that was supposed to shine a spotlight on McNabb's return to Philadelphia has taken on new meaning with Vick as starter, somehow amping up the national attention on Sunday's contest. But Vick says the game isn't about the two quarterbacks.

"It's not me against Donovan. Not at all," Vick said Wednesday. "And it's not me against the Redskins. It's the Philadelphia Eagles. It's the Philadelphia Eagles against the Redskins, and that's how you have to approach it."

While a lot will be made about McNabb's 11-year history with the Eagles, his relationship with Vick goes back even further. McNabb hosted Vick during Vick's college visit to Syracuse and helped persuade Philadelphia coaches to sign Vick in August 2009. While the two haven't spoken yet this week, Vick says they probably will at some point.

"It was great playing with Donovan," said Vick. "I mean, every day at that locker, every day I came in to work I knew I was going to get a good laugh -- every day. Sometimes, four or five times a day. He's a type of guy, you know, you can be in a bad mood or things not going so well at home and he'll give you good advice. He's a very responsible
person, an overall professional.

"I had a great time with him. I enjoyed last year and I always enjoyed my time with him when we would sit and relax at our own leisure. He's just a great guy overall."

While many in Washington and Philadelphia are curious to see the reaction McNabb receives Sunday, Vick said he knows exactly what type of reaction McNabb should receive.

"I hope it's a great reaction and maybe a standing ovation. I think that will be great," he said. "Donovan sacrificed a lot for this organization and took them to the playoffs
plenty of times and made an appearance in the Super Bowl. He put in his work."

By Rick Maese  | September 29, 2010; 4:21 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins would rather face Kolb than Vick, Rogers says
Next: Brandon Banks plays roles of Michael Vick and DeSean Jackson

Comments

Rapid fire posts today...I'm exhausted...and no work done yet again...goodnight everyone.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 29, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I say put DT in there.

Posted by: iH8dallas |

First get him a seeing eye dog to find where to line up and where to run.

Do you really think you know more about receivers than Shanahan?

Do you really think he's starting the 97-year -old Galloway over devin just to spite him--or you?

Do you really think he's bringing in guys named Keenan Burton just to teach Thomas a lesson?

I know you're not the only Devin supporter, but keep in mind he was draftedby freaking Vinny Cerrato.

As they say on ESPN,. "C'mon, man."

Posted by: TheCork | September 29, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

He has played like he is the only guy other teams have any respect for, hence the double teams.

Posted by: Stu27

Which is why he has amassed five sacks in his entire Redskins career.

Posted by: TheCork | September 29, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

You know that scene at the end of Three Amigos where El Guapo and his men come into town, and everyone in the town is dressed up like the Amigos and they're shooting at Guapo & company from all over the town?

Is there some way we could use something like that against the Iggles?

Posted by: freakzilla | September 29, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

cork, I call bullcrap...so you're telling me that they can't run a bubble screen for this guy, they can't find SOME WAY to get him involved, that its better to run 10 vs 11 because Galloway ain't giving the team anything....thats called putting your ego before the team...sorry, even someone as cynical as you can see what is happening....if Shanny is such a good coach and the team's offense is scoring in the manner that it is, 4 td's in 3 games, why hasn't DT been given a shot?

Sorry, I call bull stuff....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Is there some way we could use something like that against the Iggles?

Posted by: freakzilla

like wearing iggle green uniforms?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Thomas runs under that bomb that Galloway fell short of, makes the grab, TOUCHDOWN!! Skins beat the Texans..

Posted by: frak | September 29, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

why does it have to be shanny's ego that is getting in the way of DT succeeding?

Couldn't it just be he hasn't learned the offense to the extent that he needs to(as has been reported multiple times)?

I'm not against him getting pt, but if he doesn't know the plays or doesn't run the right routes he'd be doing more harm than good out there.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 29, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"Joey Galloway has started, but he has only three catches"

all the randle el haters should take a look see at this stat!! What is our punt return average?

Stupid f'in haters blaming decent players, some of us kept it real ARE.

Zorn -a-Han ( no offense Jim)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

like wearing iggle green uniforms?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 4:54 PM

That's a way to go, I suppose, but I was thinking more along the lines of dressing up like the Three Amigos and shooting at them.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 29, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

As they say on ESPN,. "C'mon, man."

Posted by: TheCork | September 29, 2010 4:40 PM
----------

I think what they really say on ESPN is "Chris Berman is a fatwad."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Cork, do you really think all the scouts were wrong about DT, and do you really think he doesn't have talent?

You know who else is a cerrato pick, you genius?
Kareem Moore, reed doughty, Rogers, Macintosh, orakpo, golston, cooley

cerrato FAs Carter, Fletcher, rabach, portis, haynesworth

only way to know about DT is to play him and guess what we suck!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

PLAY DT!

iH8dallas, totally love your optimism. as yhou point out: we beat philly, we're leading the division. and, so far, and after beating philly, we'll be unbeaten w/in the division!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 29, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla

I like it, who'd even notice a little extra gun fire in philly?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of changing the whole offense to suit one slow learner. Or just putting DT in for bubble screens. Because that wouldn't obvious to a defensive coordinator on a professional football team.

Posted by: mack1 | September 29, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

From the season preview of ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES:

"The WR group is also marginal. They’d be awful if not for Moss. We may wind up longing for Randle El (the WR, not the PR)."

If we're not there yet, we're getting pretty close.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

only way to know about DT is to play him and guess what we suck!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2010 5:29 PM |

Good idea. Let's play him! He started 10 games last year. He sucked.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 29, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 |

Good thinking Mack because Galloway, Williams and Armstrong are making play after play out there aren't they? I don't give a damn if they are good practice guys or film study dudes.

Can they make a play on Sunday? I think we all know the answer to that.

Posted by: elfreako | September 29, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

you know, i understand football's really complex and all and a guy's got to know his assignments and so forth. but i'm sure a clever coach like shanny's got to be able to come up with a few ways to MAXIMIZE YOUR TALENT and come up with a way to utilize the talented, but dumb, DT.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 29, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

As with several other facets of the team, I think the jury's still out on WR. Game 1 was Moss & Cooley. Game 3 was mostly Moss with a little bit of Cooley. But Game 2 saw McNabb complete passes to EIGHT different receivers.

My expectations for this year can be summed up in one word: Improvement.

And given human nature and the ways of the universe, I expect to see most of that improvement in the second half of the season.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 29, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The Skins have only 2 TDs in 9 red zone trips.

DT can't catch a fade route over the other teams 2nd or 3rd best corner now? How intelligent does he have to be to outjump a DB in the back of the end zone?

Posted by: elfreako | September 29, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

What are you all going to do when Donovan signs with AZ next year?

Why would he sing with the Skins?

Where does he live in the offseason?

Another great move by Danny Boy, Brucie and Mikie.

Posted by: sheepherder | September 29, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

The Skins have only 2 TDs in 9 red zone trips.

Posted by: elfreako

fade is actually a very tough pattern to run -- I don't really care for it. Got even harder when they changed the rule about force outs.

I like fade stops, where the WR looks like he's going on a fade, stops and turns. Back shoulder throw ... very tough to defend.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Where does he live in the offseason?

Posted by: sheepherder | September 29, 2010 6:13 PM
------

Like most of us, Donovan lives inside your moms coot.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 29, 2010 6:02 PM |

For sure. It's the coach's fault that DT can't get on the field.

Walter, have you forgotten that DT started ten games for the 'Skins last year? Most of us have and the reason is that his performance was almost entirely forgettable. He had one big game against the New Orleans Saints. And otherwise, people seem to have forgotten how extensively he was used last year.

Do you honestly think that the Shanahans haven't studied the tape of last season and tried to figure out ways to bring out the best in DT? Do you think that Keenan McCardell hasn't worked with DT to try to fit him into the offense? Do you believe they're bringing in no-names for tryouts if DT is as "talented but dumb" as you think?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 29, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

This game is basically a 2.5 game swing. I know it's only Week 4, but I make the case this is already a "must win" - 1) we blew a 17 point lead at home. 2) we lost to one of the worst teams in football. 3) our schedule over the next month is brutal.

We pretty much have to have this game if we have any hope of contending. I expect McNabb to play great, but if we cannot figure out 3rd down - on both sides of the ball - we will lose again.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 29, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

elfreako you think they should dumb it down for #11/ You think they should run one play just for him? I want the guy to come in and play lights out too. Hell, I hope he's the next Jerry Rice. But forgive me if I trust the opinion of this coaching staff over yours (and everyone else up here). Now if it was Zorn, I'd join the chorus. But it's not. So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: mack1 | September 29, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Why would he sing with the Skins?

Posted by: sheepherder | September 29, 2010 6:13 PM

He's looking at a big offer to replace Placido Domingo at the Washington Opera.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 29, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I heard Donovan much more preferred doing gigs at the 9:30 Club.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Not awe inspiring but its a start. Dust him off and let the kid improve on the fly... nobody else has earned the right to be #2 with their performance so far.

Posted by: elfreako | September 29, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Too funny, from Feinstein's blog:

"This off-season, Snyder finally got rid of his bully-boy flak, Karl Swanson, in large part because not enough people bought Snyder’s story that it wasn’t his fault that Jim Zorn bombed as coach. He hired a young guy named Tony Wyllie, whose job is apparently Snyder image-repair. (If this works out maybe Tiger can hire him. That’s my one line for all you Tiger-lovers today). Wyllie spent a lot of the offseason inviting media types to Snyder charity ribbon-cuttings where Snyder would deign to speak to them. This was pretty smart: Snyder speaks—and says almost nothing—and the cameras show or the reporters write something like, “Snyder, speaking at a school where he is contributing x-dollars for scholarships…”

Wyllie has also taken to calling reporters who haven’t bought into Snyder to have lunch with them. Sally Jenkins got a call during pre-season. I got my call a few weeks ago. When I did I said, “Tony, I’d be glad to have lunch with you but why waste your time on me? I don’t even cover the team on a regular basis. You have to have more important things to do than talk to me.”

“Well,” Wyllie said, “you may not cover the team regularly but you certainly don’t mind criticizing Mr. Snyder on Washington Post Live.”

True, I don’t. That’s a local show here in DC that I’m on once a week and I do criticize Snyder—someone has to do it. That particular week I’d criticized the Redskins for firing Zach Bolno, who worked one slot down from Wyllie and who was one of the few people in the Redskins organization universally respected by everyone who dealt with the team. Bolno is bright, hard-working and honest. Needless to say, he had to be fired. That may be just about what I said about the firing on WPL.

I was actually sort of impressed that Wyllie would even bother to call me and talk about breaking bread until he said this: “Have you ever even met Mr. Snyder?”

Come on Tony, at least do some homework before you pick up a phone. “Yes, I’ve met DAN,” I answered. “We’ve spoken on a number of different occasions.”

Long pause. He’d clearly been going for the Snyder, ‘you don’t know me well enough to criticize me,’ line but that wasn’t going to work. He’d come un-prepared. Never good.

“Okay,” he said. “Um, well, why are you so critical of Mr. Snyder?”

“Because I think he’s a terrible owner.”

“Oh.”

“You still want to have lunch Tony?”

“Yes, sure I do. I’ll call you when we get back from Arizona.” (Last exhibition game).

Well, I know Wyllie got out of Arizona because I saw him standing almost on top of Clinton Portis last night making sure Portis didn’t say anything un-toward about his second half benching. Still no phone call. I guess that means I don’t have to buy."

The owner really thinks he can hire a PR guy to make the last eleven years of utter buffoonery disappear.

Posted by: Pepper5 | September 29, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I've been in favor of getting DT11 on the field a lot -- but I was on the "pro rebuild" side of things after DEBACLE '09® ended.

Shanahan went a different direction.

He wants to win now. JReid's article in today's Post is a pretty good one on that front. My ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES touched on that issue as well (though not on DT11 specifically) -- I'll repost this evening.

My own take on DT11 is that he has considerable talent -- all of his time and effort should be focused on being a better WR. KR, even though he's been good, isn't providing the value he might have. Plus, he's got the size to be a good blocker, and in Shanahan's run game, that is a big deal.

Of course, I don't get to see what Shanahan sees in practice. So I don't know what the problem is or if it can be fixed. But the problem isn't talent.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

'elfreako you think they should dumb it down for #11/ You think they should run one play just for him?'

If that one play is a TD mack1, then HELL to the yes they should!!

Posted by: elfreako | September 29, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I have seen an awful lot of would-be GMs and HCs up in here today saying they know more than Shanny about what talent to put on the field. To them I would ask: how many super bowl winning teams have you coached? I believe Shanny has 2 as a head coach, 1 more with the Raiders as an assistant and another with the 49ers as an assistant. He knows more about coaching in the NFL than we do. I would also ask our RI would-be GMs: how many days of Redskins practices have you attended? Shanny has attended them all. He knows more about the abilities of the players on this team that we do.

Look, this is not some first time, unproven guy like Zorn making these decisions. It is one of the more proven coaches of the past 20 years in the NFL. I am going to have to see a whole lot more than I have seen so far to conclude that Shanny has lost it.

Benching a guy who has been totally out of shape ever since coming to the Redskins and who has a consistently me-first, screw the team mentality? I can hardly fault him for that. Even if it may hurt a bit in the short run (and I am not convinced it will or has), I am confident it will help in the long run.

Sitting a receiver who has, excepting a single game last season, never done much of anything in the NFL? Again, I have a hard time questioning that. Maybe DT just sucks as a receiver in the NFL. It is quite possible -- even probable, based on his body of work as a pro, which is the only real evidence that is worth considering at this point.

I am still firmly willing to say "In Shanny I trust" and I am prepared to give the guy a minimum of three seasons (or one swinging gate play) before I revisit that assessment. Knee-jerk reactions about coaches based on an small data sample were among Snyder's worst failings in the early years of his ownership. Why would we as a fanbase want to make the same mistake? Put good football people in place (as Snyder has now done) and let them do their thing for an extended period of time and see what happens. 3 games is not enough. 3 seasons might be.

Posted by: manlius1 | September 29, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

If that one play is a TD mack1, then HELL to the yes they should!!

Posted by: elfreako

Something tells me can do more than 1 play. 10, 20, 30? Don't know. But I'm puzzled/disappointed by his complete absence.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Last years offense sucked all around...DEvin's still young enough to prosper from good coaching..Maybe Shanahan's riding him hard because they want to maximize his potential but also turn him loose at a crucial moment like on Sunday..Late bloomers ain't nuthin' new..Vee shall seeeee, mein Psychoskovitch!!

Posted by: frak | September 29, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

brown, seeing how TWill and Riley are the only draft picks on the 53 roster, I'd say this draft is worse than the '08 draft. Kelly, Thomas, Davis, Moore and Horton are all still on the 53 roster.

Although after this season Moore may be the last man standing...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 12:59 PM

I can't even believe this discussion is being brought up 3 GAMES INTO THE SEASON. We're barely able to review a reasonable body of work for the Class of '08, and we're already breaking down the Class of '10? Really?

Just counting how many guys are still on the roster is laughable...the '08 class was 10 picks, '10 was about half that. The guys still on the roster from '08 are either marginal role players or consistently injured. You mean to tell me that if TWill and Riley turn out to be All-Pros that '10 a worse class than the '08 scrubs simply because there's only two of them? No way.

So holla at me on this subject in 2013. Maybe then we'll have enough material to actually compare the two.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 29, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 29, 2010 6:18 PM
----------------
i know, i know. the shannies have tried but DT can't get open...or something.... buuuut, it seems like there's got to be a way for a good coach to minimize the shortcomings of a player and maximize his...uh...longcomings...

you know, i'm just making this point for the sake of making a point. we seem to be doing fine passing the ball. my real question is why the heck can't we get a running game going....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 29, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

on the Feinstein thing -- Wylie is supposedly one of the top PR guys in football. From Feinstein's comments, the guy seems totally transparent. Though a smart PR guy also does what Wylie does, put the owner in a good light at events and such.

The former PR guy was a disaster. A good PR guy has to be able to tell the boss -- that is bad idea. And he should come up with good ones. Ultimately, PR is about connecting the franchise to the people that can support it. On that front, I'm hoping the new guy does better.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Well ... ummmm ... the 2010 draft class results are mostly in. Its only about 2 guys at this point and it'd pretty hard for a #4 overall to overachieve -- its a draft spot where you have good chance at a HOF player. Which pretty much leaves all the upside in the hands of Perry Riley.

I mean, you can wait to see how the 2010 class turned out, but its hard to imagine people will look back at this class and be impressed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

If that one play is a TD mack1, then HELL to the yes they should!!

Posted by: elfreako

Don't count on it. The guy has played in 33 games, with 11 starts. He's had 40 receptions, a little better than one per game. Only three of the 40 receptions were TD. "I'm gonna buy me a lottery ticket, because I know it's a winner."

Posted by: beep-beep | September 29, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

nothing football related ... but cool stuff

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 7:06 PM |

...but it's easy to look back at the '08 class and be the exact opposite of impressed. Pissed even.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 7:06 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975

I know I was comfortable with the idea of picking 2 big WRs -- though I don't follow college football so I had no idea if these were the right guys. Clearly, they weren't.

4 guys in the top 3 rounds and only 1 has made any sort of splash -- and that came when the #1 TE was injured -- yuck.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 7:28 PM

I was pissed they took a reciever at all. I wanted oline, oline, and oline. We could have made a major upgrade to the trenches with 3 2nd rounders. Then again, Vinny was picking and you see how that went. We'd probably have 3 olinemen that couldn't get off of the bench.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

nothing football related ... but cool stuff

Posted by: zcezcest1

*********

That was cool. Never heard of frazil ice before.

Posted by: manlius1 | September 29, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Can't really argue with you, but for whatever reason I still like Sleepy. Blocking can be learned, talent can't. I predict Sleepy scores a big TD in the Iggles game.

Posted by: NYPDee | September 29, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff from manilus1, mack1, & beep-beep-

Like I've been saying MS is a great coach (2 SBs), but he's not inclined to feel like he needs to give the other coach a handicap.

If it was even close in practice, MS would go with DT, but apparently it's not. In fact there were 3 WRs in for tryouts today...Who's job were they here to take?

And comparing the 2008 draft failure (5 picks in the top 125, 10 overall picks) to the 2010 draft (3 games in, 1 pick in the first 3 rds) is wicked retarded.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

i said,

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 29, 2010 6:54 PM
--------
that 100 yds (or so) rushing in the first half was great. what happened after that? why 1 yd rushing (or something) in the 2nd half?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 29, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Beep-beep,

repost "DT actually had 7 catches for 91 yards and a TD in both games vs the Iggles last season."

in your face Hater. Did Galloway Armstrong Williams or any of these other castaways do anything? NO

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Shaun Smith, formerly of the Cleveland Browns and now with the Kansas City Chiefs, has been accused of major violations of guy code. The details of the accusations can be found here, via Chuck Yarborough of The Plain Dealer.

Smith is not being accused of asking out a girl that he knew one of his friends liked without first seeking permission from said friend (aka the “Bros Before Hos” principle). As egregious a guy code violation as that would be, what Smith is actually being accused of is much, much worse.

Shaun Smith has been accused of sneak scrotal attacks against his fellow man. That’s right, Smith is going after other dudes below the belt where it really hurts. And it’s not an isolated incident. Two straight weeks now, Smith’s opponents have accused him of unnecessary, unsportsmanlike, and code violating genital hijinks.

First, Browns center Alex Mack got into an on-field altercation with Smith in Week 2. Smith allegedly grabbed Mack on or around the twig-n-bits area, which subsequently led to an enraged Mack getting a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty a few plays later

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Posted by: NYPDee | September 29, 2010 7:37 PM

I, too, like Sleepy but I would have rather picked up oline. Even today, if I had a choice I would take oline over Davis.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

If that one play is a TD mack1, then HELL to the yes they should!!

Posted by: elfreako

If he doesn't know the playbook or runs the wrong route chances are it won't be.

Posted by: mack1 | September 29, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be a real Dogfight!

(and you know what happens to the losers, right?)

Vick is a piece of dog dung. Win or lose, he's still a coward. Dont expect him to start winning Super Bowls now. Throughout his career (as a football player, of course), he's folded like a card table when the going got tough. I don't see that changing just because he went to prison. Just wait. Somebody will smack him in the face, and when that happens, he'll disappear as he's always done in the past.

I hope it's this week, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe Landry will get to him. Maybe Landry will miss him. Whatever.

With Vick under center, I have to admit, I'd root for the Cowboys to beat them. And they probably will. Twice.

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 29, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 |

Yeah well, you can only hope for so much. I think the year before, I'd said I'd be fine if they selected nothing but OL. Did a study a while back and posted it up here. Turns out the most successful teams ALL used about 1/3 of their draft picks in rounds 1-5 on the lines.

Those picks were evenly divided between OL and DL. Vinny wasn't anywhere close to that ratio.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

What are you all going to do when Donovan signs with AZ next year?

Why would he sing with the Skins?

Where does he live in the offseason?

Another great move by Danny Boy, Brucie and Mikie.

Posted by: sheepherder | September 29, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

mayock on NFL network in the off season said Donovan would be an idiot to sign during the season. It would just be a bad decision as a business man. The smart thing would be to let different teams make offers (paraphrasing).

Unless of course Danny offers a ridiculous amount (my addition)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Beep-beep,

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2010 7:53 PM |

So what? What did he do in the other 32 games he played in? Diddly squat.

As far as the other receivers one thing they did was to beat out Thomas. If Thomas can't get on the field against this bunch what does that say about Thomas? L-O-S-E-R.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 29, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

On DT11, if he's going to figure it out, my guess is he needs to play to do it. Because apparently 3 years of practicing hasn't resulted in any breakthru.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

92 degrees today. This evening, off to see preseason hockey.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

How many guys up here remember Conrad Dobler? That would have been one of his milder violations.

Posted by: NYPDee | September 29, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee
-------------
from back when we used to hate the st. louis cardinals. eric metcalf, jim hart...don coryell...bastages...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 29, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick of hearing about the revival of Mike Vick. He wasn't ever a good quarterback to begin with.

The sports media is latching onto Vick because it needs a fairytale to spin for the season. Of course it paints those of us who remember that Vick is a disgusting human being who profited off of abusing innocent animals. And while he is said to have "paid for his crimes", has he? I don't see one ounce of voluntary remorse in him - I live in the town where he grew up and his is still nothing but a punk - a selfish human being who has never grown up and who fancies himself better than others. If no one is looking over his shoulder, he could give a rat's behind about what he's done in his past. He only cares when his bankruptcy court dictates corrections to his plan or when the blue lights visit him because of the people he continues to be around.

What we have here is an unremarkable quarterback who has always compensated for his lack of intelligence by running rather than developing his passing skills. He's had two good games this season against weak opposition. He has that every year. What remains to be seen is if he can be consistent in a season and he's never been consistent at any level of play.

Shove the Vick worship. McNabb is a documented winner and I'd rather have his talent and integrity than a person who killed dogs for his own pleasure and profit. Forgiveness is earned and he has shown he no voluntary manning up to deserve to be forgiven.

I only hope and pray that the Redskins play above their talent and give Vick the Troy Aikman sendoff.

Posted by: laserwizard | September 29, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Beep-beep,

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2010 7:53 PM

I hope the other kids didn't pick on you too much at recess today. DT had 7 catches for 91 yds in TWO games and 40 catches for 445 in his 3 yr career. That's your arguement?

I'll raise with 692 catches for 10865 for JG and 86 for 1183 for RW.

DT played 1 yr at MSU and caught 70 bubble screens and while he is physically gifted he can't run routes or learn the playbook.

I wish he would get "it" but all indications are that he's on the bubble...Not for starting at WR, but his job. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane, and is as dumb as a banana.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

*************

I remember that analysis you did and it was excellent. The question now on the table is whether the Skins need to go to something like a 50% line picks ratio to make up for past shortcomings, or just get back to a tried and true ratio of line picks and let time work out the rest. I opt for the latter particularly given the fact that the team has other areas of considerable need either now or in the very near future (LB, WR, RB in particular)

Posted by: manlius1 | September 29, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard

I'm guessing your anger is stoked by a love of dogs? If so, I can't disagree. But it's also true that Vick went to jail and lost much of his personal fortune. IOW, he has paid a price. Maybe not enough. Who knows?

Posted by: NYPDee | September 29, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Diesel44 you have to remember DT11 put up those numbers with two different coaching staffs conspiring against him. Throw your ones up!

Posted by: mack1 | September 29, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

One of my favorite Mike Vick quotes...

"I have TWO weapons- My legs, my arm, and my brains."

I'm pretty sure he's not super smart.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Well theres always Brandon Banks , he got some YAC , and he added an element: the X factor, to me thats excitemnet, after all, isn't this supose to entertain us ? Quit F'n us, we want to enjoy Sunday !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 29, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 29, 2010 8:15 PM

And so much for playing, zeke. Look, the guy has played in 33 games for the Redskins. He started in 11 of the games. He was in a bunch of preseason games. And, after all that, he still can't get on the field because he's not good in practice or in games.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 29, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

DT needs to be on the field. I can't beleive the guy can't run a simple fly, down and out, or a slant on a certain snap count. I think a 10 year old IQ can handle that. He is strong and fast and can catch most of the time. Who gives a fart what somebody does in pracitce, meetings/film study, kisses azz, and is good in the locker room etc. if it ain't translating into plays on the field come Sunday?

AHaynesworth needs to be on the field more, Kemo and Goldston, and Holiday?, give me a fartin break. This team's personnel decisions are just as dumb and stupid as last year's.

You have someone with game changing speed in Brandon Banks, what the hell do you have him for if you don't use him? What's the point?

Kansas City has young players with speed, one reason they're currently 3-0, I don't see them on the bench, collecting cobwebs on the practice squad and all this BS that Shanaman is putting down.

I was going to the Packers game, do you think I'm going to pay $50.00 to park, $5.00 for hot dogs, and $7-$8 beer for this foolishness. Hell NO!!!

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Our beloved Washington Redskins.

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 29, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 29, 2010 9:05 PM |

It's what you get for picking a collegiate one year wonder

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

It's what you get for picking a collegiate one year wonder

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Synder will pay for a brain trasplant for DT, and he will be able to comprehend the playbook. Or modeling is what DT headed for...

Posted by: skinswillwin | September 29, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 29, 2010 9:09 PM

You know, the Redskins are way ahead of you. They tried it. They gave the guy 11 starts! Neither you nor any of the other Devin humpers up here remembers that. The reason is because it wasn't memorable. The guy had one good game and 10 where he looked about the same as he does in practice. So, if he can't produce in games and he can't produce in practice, what use is he? The dude better take a KO to the house soon.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 29, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

People are assuming Shannahan knows talent and this is a fair assumption, but. ...

Shanny is also trying to sell us that haynesworth isn't talented, and that big mike Williams will start, and that Galloway needed little work in pre season, and roydell Williams is worth a damn, and Larry Johnson was solid through camp and preseason and then lost it, and that bidwell will last a season, and the 3-4 Is the way to go, and a bunch if injured reserve castaways are going to be upgrades

so, at this point, I think questioning zorn-a-Han is legit!

Please prove me wrong by not sucking

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Posted by: zcezcest1

Thank you. It isn't like the '10 draft class didn't have ALL of OTAs, ALL of training camp, and ALL of preseason to show what they've got -- and all that "showcasing" yielded TWO, count 'em TWO draft picks....

The second greatest misconception, next to Satan convincing mankind kind that he doesn't exists, is this misconception that you HAVE to and MUST give draft picks three years to show if you're viable.

The 'Skins have MAJOR needs at some of the positions they drafted at in the '10 draft, and again, count 'em TWO made the 53 roster.

Don't need to wait 3 years to see if a chick is open to oral sex and I DON'T need 3 years for every draft pick for the light to come on for 'em.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Don't need to wait 3 years to see if a chick is open to oral sex

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 9:25 PM

------------

It took you three years to convince your girl to let you go down on her?

Wow, man.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 29, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

2010 Draft

1st TW
2nd McNabb
3rd Jarmon (2009 supp)
4th Reily
6th Morris
7th Austin
7th Cook
7th Capers

Not the direction I would have gone but most in the know have given the Skins high marks. Not sure what most expected but FOUR are on the team and 3 are on the practice squad.

The 2008 draft with 5 picks in the top 125 should have set this team up for success, however that group is the reason we still have so many holes and have 1 divisional win in the last 2 years. And what a case of nepotism for Vinny to keep all 10 picks (nobody bats .1000 on draft day) only to have 1 starter 3 years later (KM w/ 1 career start).

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

It took you three years to convince your girl to let you go down on her?

Wow, man.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 29, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Does your wife/gf/bf/brother/sister/mother has genital warts? I could see your concern.

Posted by: skinswillwin | September 29, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

Why am I bitter? Because my expectations of My Way Mike were closer to St. Joe than Zoron. My own fault no doubt.

I can admit that the QB position is in a better place......For now....

Posted by: dcwun | September 29, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

If you had told me after week 16 of last year's alleged effort that we would be re-tooling the team with having finally named a true GM in Allen, brought in Shanny and Hazelnut AND - after 4-12 mind you - opened with a win at home against the Cowfiggets.........I would be fine right now.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 29, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswillwin

That playbook stuff was said about Sleepy Davis too and we know how that worked out...

Posted by: dcwun | September 29, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Todays posts: A McNabb-Iggles lovefest.

What about the Skins team?

Posted by: Alan4 | September 29, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswillwin

Maybe follow up the brain transplant with a vaginectimy.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 29, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

so, at this point, I think questioning zorn-a-Han is legit!

Posted by: pabrian2003

Look past the person who posted it and you'd have to admit that he's right!

Posted by: dcwun | September 29, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

dcwun- give it some time my man. Shanahan is signed up for 80 games and it's only been 3. This roster is near the bottom as far as talent but I'm confident the right people are in place.

I'm not sure what your expectations were...I was optimistic with 8-8, and that may indeed be very optimistic but I knew all along that this wasn't a playoff roster.

Sorry about the JC17 dig, I had to get in at least one before you deleted your RI-JC17 "hating" alert app for your iPhone.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Maybe follow up the brain transplant with a vaginectimy.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 29, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

LOL hey I am like any skins fan and would love to see this guy get more playing time. But we need a NT and Center that can be "productive" and do what is needed.

Posted by: skinswillwin | September 29, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Diez, we ain't countin' the practice squad 'cause most likely those dues won't get on the 53 unless playoffs are a fantasy and they are serious injuries.

And cut that out with the technicality, everybody knows Jarmon is a product of the '09 draft and McNabb was a trade acquisition, dude SERIOUSLY cut that ish out!

I'm not vouching for the '08 draft class, just saying at this point given who made the picks (Cerrato and who knows who else) and all the criticism they've endured they look to be the better draft class. Really, excluding your technicalities, the '08 draft class looks to be better, seeing how only really TWO are on the 53 roster.

Whatcha go and practice law or somethin' with you Terp alum, p1? You're KILLIN' me with the semantics and technicalities over here!

And I don't know about you,but these 4:00 PM start times are seriously starting f with my schedule!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Rich Tandler-

Be careful basing too much on statistics after three games. The team that is just ahead of the Redskins in yards allowed, the Texans, are 2-1. The Patriots and Seahawks, both also 2-1, are 27th and 28th respectively. If the Redskins still are giving up 423 yards a game at midseason, I’ll start to worry then. As far as the 3-4, there is going to be an adjustment period. You can’t just abandon what you worked on all during the offseason because you hit a rough patch. It’s not “newfangled”; it’s been around for decades, and about half of the teams in the league are using it. And before you get all dewy-eyed about Greg Blache’s defenses, look at that big pile of the takeaways they got. Oh, wait, you can’t because they didn’t get very many. Sorry, but that 1980s defense of the Blache school won’t get it done in 2010. You need takeaways and the 3-4 makes those happen. Again, it will take some time but the end product will be worth the wait.

Football is the ultimate team game, and the offense has to give the defense some help. The other team has had the ball almost nine minutes more per game (Redskins avg. time of possession 27:38, opponents 36:14). Multiply that out over three games and that means the defense has been on the field for almost half a game more than the offense. Sure, the D needs to make more stops and get off the field. But the offense needs to give them a little breather on the sideline. Here is what the Redskins’ second-half possessions looked like: 5 plays, 2:21, field goal; 5 plays, 2:37, punt; 3 plays, 0:23 (23 seconds!), punt; 3 plays, 2:42, punt; 3 plays, 0:43, interception; 7 plays, 1:44, game ended (down by 14 at that point, garbage time). The issues on defense get compounded when you barely have time to suck down a cup of Gatorade and glance at the pictures before you have to go back out there again.

Let’s go back to the 3-4 for a minute. It may take time, but there isn’t enough time to improve make some of these players who either are misfits in this defense or just aren’t getting it done for other reasons. Haslett said that playing the 3-4 without a solid nose tackle is like playing baseball without a catcher. If that’s the case, then the baseball version of the Redskins are running to the backstop to pick up the ball after every pitch. Ma'ake Kemoeatu is a solid pro and a warrior, but all too often he gets pushed back like he’s on roller skates. And if that’s hard to watch, it’s positively painful to see Andre Carter, a force on defense last year, struggle to make plays in space.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

When was RI going to say anything about Brandon Banks being re-signed to the developmental roster? I just read on the redskins site that he practiced today as Michael Vick on the scout team.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 29, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

The JC stuff is always funny. Not really sure what my expectations were for the season. However, they did include a victory over the Rams.

I know Shanny's just getting started but the faster he pulls a Coughlin and adjust his ego, the better this team will be.

Posted by: dcwun | September 29, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

if we beat philly this week, then we r 2-0 vs east through 4 games, f da eagles and their 0 super bowls

we need t-dub on sunday if we hav any chance, look im not this guy is the next coming, im sayin LT is f-in important, all of us here know that ....we aint winnin sh*t w/ heyer, i love the terps but he sucks, need a center too, been sayin it for a while, id love to bong a beer w ya casey but u suck

as for thomas, whatever man, when i see him play on sunday, ill talk about that underachieveing bama..

this is a big week for the franchise, forget the whole mcnabb bs, this is Skins v eagles and we r going to be in real trouble if we cant win this game, again obviously, but it might affect the next yr or 2

Posted by: retroskins14 | September 29, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 10:14 PM

KS and MS were a little impatient in the last game. With the way this defense the Skins need to utilize the short passing game more to compliment the running game, particularly with the TEs they have. Anyways, I'm sure the Shannys have figured this stuff out. Like I said, I've found my medium. The MS will spend the next month tinkering with the starting roster and depth guys moving towards younger players. We've already started seeing it on offense. KL for Dock. Torain for CP. If a WR would stand up, Galloway would be next. Hopefully we'll see the same on defense particularly Kemo and Carter.

Posted by: TWISI | September 29, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

so, at this point, I think questioning zorn-a-Han is legit!

Posted by: pabrian2003

Look past the person who posted it and you'd have to admit that he's right!

Posted by: dcwun | September 29, 2010 10:04 PM

Just because it's written on the wall with feces doesn't mean it's crazy?

Posted by: mack1 | September 29, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

so, at this point, I think questioning zorn-a-Han is legit!

Posted by: pabrian2003

Look past the person who posted it and you'd have to admit that he's right!

Posted by: dcwun

***************

I can't agree. Shanny has never said that AH is not talented. AH is not starting or playing much because he is apparently not willing to play within the defensive scheme -- a situation that is potentially disasterous in a team game like football. That he refused to participate in off-season workouts but showed up totally out of shape did not help his cause either, I suspect. Nor did it help him that he was plainly not playing very hard on several plays in the preseason.

Not sure where you get the Big Mike Williams stuff. I don't recall Shanny saying that, and Big Mike is out of football this year, anyway. All Shanny has said/implied about Roydell is that he was better than the other players who tried out at WR for the Skins. Hard to dispute that given the bunch of stiffs in camp. I don't recall Shanny ever saying or suggesting that Larry Johnson somehow lost it after a solid camp. Shanny surely never promised that Bidwell would last a season -- no NFL coach would ever make such a promise about a player. Did he go with Bidwell despite a recent injury history? Sure. But that is not a promise that he would last the season, and to say otherwise is disingenous. And what is to say that the "injured castoffs" aren't upgrades? We don't know one way or the other yet, just 3 weekends into this season

He did say he knew what he was getting from Galloway so he did not need to see much from him in the preseason, and I am sure that was true. He also has obviously endorsed the 3-4. That has not been an easy transition in the first three weeks (really 2 of the first 3, as the D held the Boys to 7 points in week 1). But three games do not a season make. And one season does not a legacy make for a guy with a proven track record like Shanahan's.

I don't even know what PABrian is advocating. A return to Zorn? Getting rid of a two-time Super Bowl champion head coach for someone else? Who would that be? Driving to Philly with an unmarked van and kidnapping all of the Eagles best players and suiting them up as Redskins? Hoping the Saints cut all of their starting WRs so the Skins can sign them? Sounds to me that he is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Posted by: manlius1 | September 29, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 10:11 PM

Next week is a 4:00 too..

While your at it add Carriker and Jamal Brown to the stellar 2010 draft.

That's a franchise QB, franchise LT, starting RT, & a starting 3-4 DE to go along with Jarmon and Reily. Semantics and technicalities aside, It is what it is. Nobody cares how you were able to pull the hottest chick from the bar, it only matters if they upgrade your current situation.

It's not how I would build a team but most GMs are praising MS & BA for what they've done in such a short period of time. I'm still shocked that Snyder was actually able to bring in guys like MS and BA considering what a horrible owner he's been in the last ten years.

I'm trying to be positive HERE.....So I'll leave you with this.

To quote Omar Little from The Wire: "It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?"

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 29, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't even know what PABrian is advocating.

Gnite RI, and we will never know...

Posted by: skinswillwin | September 29, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Falcons really poking D'Angelo Hall in the eye -- I wonder how he will react:

Posted by: manlius1 | September 29, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1

The AH stuff playing within the scheme is off. I get the off season stuff but that's over with. AH has repeatedly said he's OK with since he arrived in camp and Haslett has said many positive things since he got to camp.

As far as the last pre-season game and him not hustling, that was a joke. That was clearly Shanny proving a point and attempting to embarrass him. Name one player with his resume that did that. The last pre-season game! And remember, he was a beast in the most important one versus the Jets.

He didn't have to say it about LJ. He showed it by cutting him after repeartedly praising him in camp.

How did he know what he was getting from Galloway? The dude is 39 and barely played for almost 2 years. He definately needed the work and most saw in pre-season that his impact would be minimal.

And I don't think no one would advocate for the return of the worst HC in Skins history. What I'd like to see is My Way Mike stop ego trippin' and use his talent. Can DT really do less than Galloway? Don't think so, and he's a much better blocker.

Posted by: dcwun | September 29, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun

******

"My way Mike Shanahan". Sorta like "My way Mike Ditka". SB Champ. Or "My way Chuck Knoll". SB Champ. Or "My way Bill Cowher". SB Champ. Or "My way Tom Landry." SB Champ. Or "My way Bill Belicheck". SB Champ. Or "My way Mike Holmgren." SB Champ. And so forth and so on. Having some "my way" seems to be a pretty important ingredient in success in the NFL, which make sense because you have to convince a bunch of ego-driven supermen that you are their leader and they need to put their trust in you. You need some "my way" to do that.

Posted by: manlius1 | September 29, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I can admit that the QB position is in a better place......For now....

Posted by: dcwun | September 29, 2010 9:50 PM

So now you think he's closer to the Zornado based on 3 games with a new offense, defense and players? Maybe need to give the team a little adjustment period before we pass judgement. I don't know too many times where all new people have come in and been immediately successful.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh crap. I just sharted.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

just got in from work and found a note that says Michael Vick is walking my dog...hmmm

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 30, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

just got in from work and found a note that says Jackie Chan is woking my dog...hmmm

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 30, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

I have to say it is absolutely amazing to me after all the crappy Vinny years that after 3 games people are already crying. Holy crap people, give it a chance. Yes, they look like a giant pile of dog poo right now but its been 3 GAMES PEOPLE!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 30, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Love to see fools posting how this is a "must win"......

I hate to tell you guys this, but that was last week!!!!!!

This team proved they aren't even mediocre. I feel sorry for DMAC getting traded to this armpit franchise.

Skins start 1-5!!! Book it!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: skins91r | September 30, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

WE WILL RAIN HELL UPON PHILLY ON SUNDAY!!!
MCNABBS REVENGE!!!
TAKE OUT VICK AND PROVE HE IS SCUM!!!
HTTR!!!
last week was mistakes and bad luck! WE WILL LEARN FROM IT AND HUMILIATE THE EAGLES!!!!!

All these bs fans think the sky is falling after 3weeks and losing to the rams! Well they need to simmer the fudge down this team needs to focus on correcting the mistakes and gelling together into the new systems!
The skins need to slaughter the eagles! HTTR!!! Mcnabbs revenge is coming! The Wolves are coming to philly they smell blood! WEAPON X ORAKPO AND CARNAGE LANDRY ARE GONNA MAUL VICK LIKE A PITBULL! It's gonna be a bloodbath in philly! They don't know the pain that's coming! Gotta rip their heads off! HTTR!!
I would love to see Devin Thomas get a chance to have a break out game along with COOLEY!!! 5 to 47 TDTDTD!!!
I wanna see the Skins play with a vengence and destroy the eagles! MAKE THEM PAY LETS KNOCK THEIR TEETH OUT AND RIP OFF THEIR HEADS! PUT VICK IN THE HOSPITAL!!! COOLEY TO GET 3 TD CATCHES AND PORTIS WILL FINALLY HAVE OVER 100 YARDS,

MCNABB RIPS APART THAT EAGLES D BOOK IT!! REDSKINS 52 EAGLES 0!!!!

Posted by: warriorking1112 | September 30, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2010 9:25 PM

C'mon Red...I thought you were better than this, my man. Right now you're like a dude who just barely gets the tip in and starts to proclaim that it's the best sex of his life. There's a ridiculous amount of time to have that assertion disproved.

So your misplaced oral sex analogy aside, it's not a misconception that you have to give a draft class 3 years. Case in point: Michael Clayton. Dude beasts out in his rookie season, getting 80+ catches and over 1,100 yards. Since then? Jack sh*t. If Bucs fans jumped the gun like you and others up here have, you'd call that draft pick a huge win based on his first year, even though he's been on the back of a milk carton since.

Another example: Vincent Jackson. I know his name gets people to rolling their eyes around here, but hear me out...his rookie year he played 8 games and had a whopping 3 catches. Year 2 he had 27 catches. He's not an elite receiver now, but his last two years have yielded numbers befitting of a guy you took in the 2nd round. If you judged him immediately, he's a bust. If you waited the prescribed 3 years, he's no worse than a solid player with upside.

I've said up here before that I hope DT takes a similar career arch to VJ...a guy who started out slow and then has the light come on around Year 3 or 4 and ends up being a beast. Since the Class of '08 is entering a new system in Year 3, it's not a foregone conclusion that they can or can't play.

I get that it doesn't look good that we only had 2 picks make the roster, but there are 2 or 3 more guys on the practice squad, so unless someone else scoops 'em up we've got a shot at them making the team next year (or later this year). That alone is reason enough to hold off on judgement of a draft class that is literally 5 MONTHS OLD!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2010 5:25 AM | Report abuse

Not surprising, but still kinda jacked up...

Falcons to honor all of their former Pro Bowlers, except one
Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2010 8:55 PM ET
On Sunday, the Atlanta Falcons will break out their throwback uniforms on Sunday, during a visit from the 49ers. Per a league source, there's an interesting angle to the event, which will include a slap in the face at a player who consistently has suckered punched the organization.

The source explains that the Falcons have made throwback jerseys for their former Pro Bowl players. Nearly 30 of them are expected to receive their jerseys at the game. The rest will have the jerseys delivered to them.

Players who won't be in attendance -- but who will get the jerseys -- include former Falcons cornerback Deion Sanders. But the source says that one player will be left out. It's not quarterback Mike Vick; he'll get one.

Omitted will be cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

We're told that Hall isn't getting a jersey because of the things he has said about the organization since leaving after the 2007 season -- and because of the sideline incident that occurred when he returned to the Georgia Dome last year with the Redskins.

Our guess? Hall will catch wind of the diss, and then he'll say or do something that will further justify the Falcons' decision to exclude him from the honor.

UPDATE: We're now told there's a split of opinion in the organization as to whether Hall should be omitted. Owner Arthur Blank apparently will have the final say. He has yet to resolve the situation.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2010 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Notes and analysis from our friend John Keim at the Examiner:

1. Did you know Donovan McNabb is returning to Philly this week? Yeah, sort of a big deal. There must have been a dozen out of town media in town to cover this story. McNabb continues to downplay his return, though nobody actually believes him when he tries to call it just another game. However, if he’s tense, he doesn’t show it. Part of his press conference was devoted to subtle jokes about Andy Reid liking to eat a lot and not working out.
2. Heard McNabb does a mean Reid impression, too. Used to crack up the Eagles locker room with it. No, he does not yet do a Mike Shanahan one. At 1-2, it’s not the time to bring that one out.
3. By the way, McNabb remains friendly with Reid, the guy who traded him. “I’m a huge Donovan McNabb fan,” Reid said. “I told him I’m still pulling for him, except for two games. I’m still friends with him.”
4. Reid tried to say it didn’t matter to him that they traded McNabb within the division. He just wanted fair compensation for him. Not buying that, either. What coach wants to help out a division rival? Would you rather face a Shanahan team quarterbacked by Jason Campbell or McNabb?
5. McNabb said he expects to be cheered (that’s been a big topic this week; what, do the Eagles fans have a reputation or something? Yes, I’m joking). “A lot of times people focus on talk radio and their opinions or judgments,” McNabb said. “But there are a lot of people who truly were accepting of the things I was able to do. I do feel like I was appreciated there.”
6. This sort of sums it up for McNabb. “It’s hard to tell if this is a bigger week for him,” center Casey Rabach said. “I’m not going to bring it up to him. But I think any player that did so much for an organization, it obviously will mean a little more. It’s got to.”
7. It’s great that Brandon Banks was playing Michael Vick in practice. And DeSean Jackson. Cute story, but, really, there’s no way to prepare for what Vick brings.

more...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

continued...

8. CB Carlos Rogers said what everyone already knows: You can’t shadow Vick with a linebacker or lineman. Safeties and corners have the only chance to stop him. Of course, you could do it with two linebackers. Maybe.
9. As for the receivers, the key is jamming them at the line. Rogers said, “We know what they can do. If you don’t know that them boys are down-the-field, explosive-plays guys, there’s much more you could see. DeSean gives you so many things. He kind of freelances. [Jeremy] Maclin is a straight route-runner. He’ll run the route. They both don’t want no physical contact, so that’s one of the key things we’re gonna have to do.”
10. These weren’t exactly shocking or revealing, but how much has Shanahan changed things is evident in some of the reaction to Rogers’ comments. It’s as if he spilled some secret report. But it’s only because few guys say much anymore; don’t want to incur Shanahan’s wrath. However, they clam up more when talking about injuries and who’s starting.
11. Speaking of injuries, left tackle Trent Williams (knee/toe) was limited in practice. But he once again limped slightly afterward. Just have a hunch that he’ll be listed as questionable, along with maybe 20 other guys this week. Also, corner DeAngelo Hall (back) was limited. Shanahan said it’s not serious, but enough to keep him out for Thursday. Thinks he might have hurt it lifting weights. I’m sure someone has a punchline to that one.
12. Guard Kory Lichtensteiger (knee) was limited as was nose tackle Anthony Bryant (head). But receiver Anthony Armstrong (groin) and safety Chris Horton (ankle) were able to practice in full.
13. How badly do the Redskins need Williams this week? The Eagles have Trent Cole at right end and he’s obviously a good pass rusher (he has three sacks already). But, worse for Washington is how he’s playing the run. Doing a good job with that. The Redskins need strong tackle play.
14. On the Eagles injury report, only starting guard Nick Cole (knee) is listed not participating. He might not be able to play, but he’s better as a reserve anyway. The Eagles eventual starter at this spot is Reggie Wells, but since he was acquired just before the season they’ve stuck with Cole. Wells has started 79 career games. But, still, the Eagles line is not terrific. And their defense is spotty. So this could be a much closer game than imagined.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Redskins-notes-and-analysis-92910-104040024.html#ixzz110MKPr5Q

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2010 5:53 AM | Report abuse

Just a thought with all this "Zornahan" stuff...

(I'm Thinker_, after all)

I have to say, and would always say, that McNabb is a better QB than Campbell. For my money, he's better than Eli and Romo, too. So, we upgraded the QB position.

Did it really matter?

I know it's early and McNabb will stage a comeback here or there that Campbell couldn't. He'll also get injured and we know who's coming to dinner in that case.

Would another 4th round O Lineman have helped?

Or a 4th round RB?

Campbell wasn't good behind our line, but, what many had been saying is: It doesn't matter. HE wasn't the problem.

Now, with McNabb under center, everybody's turned their attention to the pitiful WR situation, the pathetic run game, the aging RB nobody is scared of, and the questionable allotment of talent.

McNabb has the luxury of an upgraded, if not GOOD, O Line. He's got Shanny Jr's Offense which is light years ahead of the 1987 High School offense Zorn was peddling. And he's got a once proud Defense that will be lucky, LUCKY, to finish in the middle of the pack this year.

Maybe it's just me.

Pass the Kool Aid and let's see if that helps.

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 30, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse