More Brian Baldinger on Donovan McNabb

If you missed it over the weekend, we rolled out a piece on Donovan McNabb that took a closer look at what fans could expect from the 33-year-old quarterback this season. As is always the case with such pieces, there was a lot that didn't make the story, and there was one voice that might be worth hearing more from.

You'll recall that NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger offered some of the most critical comments on McNabb in the days following McNabb's trade to the Redskins. He called McNabb a "flawed player" and "one of the most overrated
quarterbacks in the history of the game."

In a recent interview, he was certainly more complimentary of McNabb but still offered some interesting insight and opinions.

But before we get to Baldinger's comments, let's first pass along something that McNabb had to say about the analyst. Discussing Baldinger's initial criticisms, McNabb said: "We had a lot of success. Are there some throws that I'd love back? Absolutely. But over my 11 years, we've made a lot of great plays, we've won a lot of big ballgames, we put ourselves in position to win the biggest game possible. But you know, I don't let one's comment take me away from
what I want to get accomplished. The thing about it is, just like every controversy that I've been a part of, when one person says something, I don't have to say anything."

OK, here's some of what Baldinger had to say about McNabb in a recent interview. His critique isn't nearly as harsh as some of his comments in the days after the trade.

On McNabb's age: "I actually don't concern myself at all with his age. He takes very good care of himself. He's in peak condition. ...His arm is as strong as ever, there's no drop off in any of that. I actually think [Mike] Shanahan is going to be a really good fit for Donovan. Nothing against Andy; I love Andy, I think Andy is awesome. I think Shanahan -- he did it with [John] Elway, he did it with Jake [Plummer], he did it with Jay [Cutler] -- he's going to cater to his strengths. And I think if you look at the Redskins strengths right now on offense, the strengths to me are the two tight ends, the two tackles and the quarterback...

"Mike is about winning games. He's done that before. I can see a lot of two tight ends, boot legs, crossing routes to the tight ends, play action pass, rolling Donovan out. I think he's going to actually utilize his skills a lot more than just trying to put him in a three-step drop, read this triangle, do this, which I don't think are his strengths. His strengths are, he's a bull to get down to the ground, he's very tough, he runs well, why not get him out of the pocket, move him and do those kind of things?"

On taking advantage of McNabb's skill-set: "You try to get him to be all disciplined back there with his footwork and all that, that's not the strength of his game. It never really has been. The pretty passes, hit your fifth step, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, hit your fifth step, ball out, ball on the finger tips, that's not really what he does best. But he is a very good creator, he extends plays well, he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Those are also some of the weaknesses, too: Hold the ball too long, not throwing on timing, all that kind of stuff.

"But I think Mike, he's seen enough of him through this offseason, through the tape, to know that he's not a great rhythm and timing passer, that he does have some mechanical issues when it comes to accuracy.

"The best thing Andy Reid did, he always used the analogy of Larry Bird. If Larry Bird got off to a bad shooting night, Boston didn't take the ball out of his hands. He'd keep shooting and hopefully shoot his way out of a slump. For most Sundays, if Donovan started off bad and went through a bad stretch, it didn't really stay all game. He'd get himself out of it, and Andy understood that. I think Mike knows he can be really streaky hot like that. And if he is, you ride him. If he isn't and he gets off to one of those starts where the ball is all over the place, that's where I think the two tight ends, bootleg, dink and dunk, those kind of things might really help him get out of it."

On whether McNabb's best days are behind him: "I think Donovan could have a great year. I just don't know if they have enough at the wideout position to really scare anybody right now. I think that's where they're limited. ...You just don't know if they have enough
guys to really scare anybody down the field. Now maybe Malcolm Kelly will turn into something. I haven't seen anything from him. Maybe Devin Thomas will really come on. I don't know what they have out there right now. I know what Santana [Moss] is and there's a place for Santana. But you're asking Donovan to throw a pin-point pass 30 yards downfield to Santana Moss, that's going to be hard to do."

On what separates McNabb from Peyton Manning or Tom Brady: "It's just playing big in big games. Those comeback wins in the Super Bowls by Brady cemented Brady as a face of this league. Manning -- look, he has played poorly in some huge games. Last
year's Super Bowl wasn't his greatest performance. But his level of consistency, you can't argue with it. ...But what separates them is, tell me and show me the big comeback wins that Donovan has had in his career. Or show me the games where he put his team on his back in the
playoffs and they rode Donovan into the next round. He's done it, but it's not a long list of games that he's done that in."

By Rick Maese  |  August 2, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Long snapper Nick Sundberg off to an uncertain start
Next: Mike Shanahan gives--a little--on Albert Haynesworth

Comments

One point that Baldy omits:

It wasn't uncommon for Donovan to throw 40+ attempts per game over the past 3/4 seasons in Philly.

Shanahan won't be nearly as pass happy in DC. THIS will preserve McNabb's career and maybe add a year or two.

Posted by: elfreako | August 2, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Baldy's comments ain't worth sh-t! I've watched some of his analysis on nfl network and surprised he has a job.

Fkn scrub

Posted by: bhoang888 | August 2, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

repost
Seems like we've got Round 7 down pat. Now if we can start doing better in Rounds 1-6 we might have a dynasty...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The problem is we never have rounds 1-6.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 2, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"And I think if you look at the Redskins strengths right now on offense, the strengths to me are the two tight ends, the two tackles and the quarterback..."

When's the last time you read a sentence like that about the Redskins...

Posted by: psps23 | August 2, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | August 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

What separates from McNabb from Manning and Brady? I'll be kind and just say that their teams didn't trade them to a division foe when they were supposedly in their prime. I love the Redskins but let's not get ahead of ourselves. There is no comparison to be made with McNabb and those guys. I just want the guy to get on the field and show us that he's still got something left in the tank. Hopefully, Snyder doesn't get all twitchy and sign him to an extension before that is crystal clear.

Posted by: ArmChairQB | August 2, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

yeh. I think we're a little ways away from Tackle being a strength. HOpefully soon, but not right now.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 2, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

With the exception of the year with T.O. and with Deshawn Jackson, its not like McNabb had an all world receiving core in Philly either. Nor did he ever had a running game. The running game was him, and his best receiver was Westbrook, a running back catching a check down or screen. Remember Sean Taylor licking his chops about to decapitate Todd Pink(yellow)ston? Pinkston stopped his route like five yards from the ball, because Sean was in the area.

Posted by: clark202 | August 2, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Entirely too much commotion about this guy Baldinger's opinion of McNabb-He's basically catering to his old Philly market. He's just an average color guy in the booth, move on..

Posted by: frak | August 2, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Baldy is a Philly guy and can't remove the emotion from his analysis. Philly has been right around 60/40 pass percentage and they've been to 5 nfc championships and 1 Superbowl with not a great receiving corps. Of course when they got a great receiver they went to the Superbowl. In Washington, Mcnabb will finally have something he didn't have in Philly, a commitment to the running game.

Posted by: Basiru | August 2, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I've watched Baldinger for years on the NFL Network and it always seemed to me he thought the Eagles were the bomb....I don't remember him making negative comments about McNabb when he was with the Eagles...

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 2, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"But what separates them is, tell me and show me the big comeback wins that Donovan has had in his career. Or show me the games where he put his team on his back in the playoffs and they rode Donovan into the next round."

Assinine comment...who else did Philly have when they were going to conference title games on an annual basis? Dude didn't have an elite receiver save for TO one year, never had a consistent rushing attack and the defense was pretty up and down. Hell, McNabb was just about the ONLY thing keeping them in games for a lot of years.

This smacks of that stupid argument they had against Art Monk..."what was his signature catch?" You don't need an f-ing "signature catch" when YOU HAVE MORE THAN ANY OTHER RECEIVER IN NFL HISTORY AT THE TIME OF YOUR RETIREMENT! With McNabb it's much the same...who cares if you didn't have a lot of come from behind victories if you were getting ahead in the game and not blowing the lead?

Baldy is a Philly guy who's in the bag for the Eagles organization. McNabb has won more big games than Baldy has ever played in...I hope McNabb shuts him and the rest of the Philly fans up for good...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

T.O. was just a ball of hype anyway. He rattles easy. And DeShawn was good 'cause he was new. Nobody knew his shti, yet. Now they do & will cover accordingly.

I'm interested in seeing how our pulling Guards will do. I have a feeling that'll be fairly necessary for our game plan.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 2, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

we wont know what kind of QB we have until the playoffs and only if we get to the playoffs. d-mac has certainly proven he a good regular season qb..

Posted by: cboyhater | August 2, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

He's probably never going to win a championship but the guy is a winner.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 2, 2010 11:22 AM

What? You just HAVE to know you're contradicting yourself here, right?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | August 2, 2010 11:22 AM
-------------------------------------------
All McNabb has to be is productive. He doesn't need to win games so much as he needs to manage them. Elway in his final years did not do it all, either. I'm not saying that McNabb is Elway - only that if this team responds to what Shanahan is preaching, there will be a strong running game and defense to support the quarterback. McNabb can still make enough plays with his feet and arm to win under those conditions.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Terrence Austin = sleeper
can't wait to see him in the preseason. reminds me of DeSean Jackson.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 2, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

as for McNabb comebacks and late game wins ... he's done that a couple of time vs us in recent years, including last year (down 8 in the 4th quarter ... a TD + a FG in their last possessions)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Baldinger just trying to solidify his Philly airtime...Looking forward to watching Donovan McNabb's Flying Circus rack touchdowns all year long..

Posted by: frak | August 2, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 11:42 AM

He sure has...but last year shouldn't count...happened lots last season!

Posted by: PlayAction | August 2, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 11:40 AM

100% agree...and the Elway comparison isn't a bad one. In fact, the parallels are stunning. Everything we're talking about McNabb right now is the same talk surrounding Elway pre-Shanahan. If Shanahan does for McNabb what he did for Elway, suddenly we're not discussing whether McNabb has enough left in the tank...we're asking who's presenting him at his Hall of Fame induction.

This offense fits his talents far better than what the system in Philly did. I think he won't blow the roof off with his numbers, but I think he'll be a far more efficient QB than he's been in Philly. And in this system, that's all we need.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Basiru | August 2, 2010 11:35 AM

Doesn't that sound familiar? Elway didn't have a running game until Shanahan established one. Boom, 2 Super Bowls. Well, we've got 3 pro bowl running backs on our roster and it's gonna be exciting to watch!

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 2, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

QUOTE"Baldinger is pretty spot-on about McNabb. McNabb has always been good enough to keep his team and the opposing team in the game. He's probably never going to win a championship but the guy is a winner."

Posted by: coparker5

If Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer can win The Superbowl I'll take my chances with McNabb :)

Posted by: MinorTthreat | August 2, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Baldinger is an overopinionated windbag...just sayin.

Posted by: songsofpraise | August 2, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Baldinger is an overopinionated windbag...just sayin.

Posted by: songsofpraise | August 2, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Baldy can have his complaints about Dmac and other will have their complaints as well. Does not change the fact the he is easily the most qualified and best QB we have had in a long time, possibly decades.

Dmac also landed in a situation where we can cater to his strengths. Having two pass catching TEs could really define this offense. Dmac has always liked his TEs and bigger targets, that is a definite strength on this team. Shanny produces a running game like few coaches so im not worried about that aspect particularly with the personnel we have and esp because some of our RBs appear to have a chip appear to have chips on their shoulders and have something to prove(CP). You combine that with a downfield receiver like Santana and hope someone else like Austin steps into that role as well.
Those three aspects, TE receiving options, RB depth with varying personnel and pass cathing options(LJ) and a proven deep threat like Moss could really ease McNabb into this offense and have him preforming well very quickly.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

And furthermore...I don't get the notion that McNabb isn't a playoff QB. His numbers aren't all that bad:

Only 2 real stinkers out of 16 games. Has an 80 QB rating and has 24 TDs to 17 INTs (rushed for 4 more TDs). Not mind-blowing numbers, but we've got guys in the HoF for much less.

Again...as long as you give the guy a running game and a couple nice targets to throw to, he'll be fine.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

We sittin heah... DMac 'sposed to be the franchise player and we talkin' 'bout Brian Baldinger. Not a Young. Not a Jaws. We talkin' 'bout Baldinger. Not a great analyst. Not someone who played or coached the position well. We talkin' Baldinga man. How silly is that? What are we talkin' bout man? We ain't talkin' 'bout Mariucci. We talkin' bout Balidinga. When you see DMac play. You seen him play? You seen him give it everything he got. But we talkin' bout Baldinga. It's funny to me too. We talkin' 'bout Baldinga. How we gonna know if the team gettin' betta talkin' bout Baldinga.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Re: McNabb, offense and Baldy

-the strength of our team is the tackles??? I'm as excited as anyone about finally having legit talent at BOTH tackle spots, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. TW needs to show he can actually play and Brown needs to adapt to the right side AND the zone-scheme.

-Santana Moss is not done. What we saw between DMac and DeSean last season we can have between DMac and Tana. Even so, DMac has never needed superior WR talent to play well.

-Tom Brady has played well in big games, but the NE dynasty was built on total-team football. Brady needed Viniatieri to be clutch to be a 3x SB winner. Brady needed the defense to play well - especially against the Rams in their first SB.

-CP, LJ and Torain. We don't need Willie Parker and we don't need Westbrook. CP is a fine 3rd down back.

-Agreed that the 2 TEs can be monster this year with mcNabb in this offense. Do all the "trade Chris Cooley" people still think it's a good idea?? Would love to get a TE-only post from Reid at camp.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Unless Kelly maks a big and sudden turn around, I'm thinking that our WRs going into this season will be:
Moss
Thomas
Galloway
R. Williams
Austin

I even think Armstrong is aheard of Kelly right now. Banks will have to proove that he's "THE GUY" on returns if he expects to make the team.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 2, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Also... Andy Reid's system may not have fit McNabb's strengths as well as Mcnabb's strength (escapability) helped AR's system succeed. I have doubt's a QB that that can't get away from the rush and doesn't have a serious slippery breakaway threat a running back (Brian Westbrook)can survive throwing 40+ times a game.

Posted by: MinorTthreat | August 2, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Haha lh, well played.

pfunk, agreed on Brady. He's clutch and I give him credit for that. But if those 3 SBs were all him, no chance they lose to the Ginas. NO chance.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

talkin' smack about DMac is kinda silly at this point.

He's here - let's see what happens.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 2, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MinorTthreat | August 2, 2010 11:56 AM |

Let's not forget Eli Manning

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 12:07 PM

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | August 2, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 12:07 PM

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | August 2, 2010 12:18 PM

Idk...17 was very special cuz it was their first...but I really really really enjoyed the blowouts.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 2, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Terrence Austin = sleeper
can't wait to see him in the preseason. reminds me of DeSean Jackson.Posted by: nfcBEaST"

Same size, similar running style. But I suspect DeSean is much faster.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 2, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | August 2, 2010 12:18 PM

Apparently reading comprehension isn't one of your strong suits...

My exact words: "In fact, I'd have more respect for that dynasty if they had just ONE blowout win. Winning ALL 3 of their SBs by a FG (hell, the one they LOST was even by 3) makes me think they had some solid teams but never a dominant one."

Now, where in there did I say there's any reason to be ashamed of their championships? All I said is that I'd give them MORE respect for having at least one blowout. You take a title any way you can get it (which is why I think somehow docking points off Shanahan's two titles for having Elway is one of the lamest arguments in sports). The only limb I'm going out on is that Tom Brady isn't a football god because no less than two of his titles came from the effectiveness of his kicker, not from a dominant offensive effort.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 2, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

McNabbs success will hinge on the O line.

If it opens up the running game, he will succeed.

If it protects well, he will succeed.

If Portis and Johnson can return to their glory days and combine for 1,500 - 2,000 yards total, then McNabb will look great. But if we have to throw 35-40 times a game, we're pretty much dead.

Posted by: lemming | August 2, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"Dumb, dumb, dumb. If our Redskins had been winning Super Bowls the way the Pats did you'd say the same thing, right? You'd almost be ashamed of the championships, huh?

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | August 2, 2010 12:18 PM"

I don't know...let's win 2 or 3 of the next 5 Super Bowls by single FGs (or less) and we'll see how it feels, huh?

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 2, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

the brilliant thing about having Rex as number two is that there is no QB controversy unless McNabb *really* stinks it up (very unlikely).

the insane thing about having Rex as number two is that we're screwed if McNabb is injured (completely possible).

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

IMHO... DMAC is a GREAT QB but Baldinger's comments are smack on the money... DMAC always has trouble with his accuracy at times as a pocket passer. He gets in rythmn by rolling out and throwing on the run or creating time and space in the pocket with his strenght and elusiveness. I am sure Coach knows this and will allow DMAC to play to his strength but there will be times that his elusive creativity will look rusty due his age, reduced flexibility and increasing reluctance to stand in there to take a big hit. So DMAC will look bad at times both in the pocket and when he is trying to make thing happen.
On the other hand, DMAC brings a lot to the game still in terms of his ability to make the big play, to see the field and to create time and space. So I expect some great plays, some poor plays and in the final analysis, it will be the D and Special Teams that win games with DMAC (unlike Soup) not losing games by fumbles, poorly thrown balls and inability to connect long.

Posted by: iseyij | August 2, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 12:28 PM

A mighty thin limb indeed. Hope you have health insurance. Anyway, who was the QB who made the big throws that put the Pats in a position where their kicker could win the game?

Tom Brady is a first-ballot HOFer. Same for Manning.

Just when I thought you would redeem yourself you say something even wackier!

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | August 2, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

RT @PeteMedhurst: Good Bye Colt and Bartel? Skins dealing for John Beck from Ravens according to Aaron Wilson

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

From CSN's Brent Harris: Ravens trade QB John Beck to the Redskins for unknown compensation.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 2, 2010 12:34 PM

Yessir!! Lol!

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | August 2, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I think we have to remember that Andy Reid's career as a head coach has been with Donovan McNabb at QB. Before that he'd spent 3 seasons with Green Bay as QB coach for Favre, who had just come off a Super Bowl victory, so Reid's job was sort of like being caddy for Tiger Woods. He's never had the sort of disciplined, accurate, short-drop QB he dreamed of. Kevin Kolb will be his chance. At last, a QB who will take direction...

McNabb isn't a perfect QB, but neither were Plummer or Cutler, or even Elway when Shanahan coached him. Plummer was always dropping his arm and Cutler habitually threw into coverage. What all three had in common was the ability to make plays outside the pocket when needed.

Shanahan even did a good job with Brian Griese, who the club drafted in the 3rd round & who wound up succeeding Elway. By his second year as a starter in Denver, Griese had a 102.9 QB rating and a Pro Bowl berth. But he threw too many INTs and spent too much time on the IR, which led to Plummer.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 2, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"I just want the guy to get on the field and show us that he's still got something left in the tank."

NFL QBs routinely are productive into their mid-to-late 30s, and McNabb keeps himself in top condition. There's no reason to believe that DM can't continue to play well for 3-4 more years.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 2, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Sucess hinging on the O-line. Been a common theme for the last three years. At least this year the FO has made a REAL effort to make it better. I have more confidence in the line than I had the last two years.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 2, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem w/ Rex comin' off the bench. I would have a problem with him starting.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 2, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Interesting...who goes?

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 2, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

***Notes From Today's Practice***

1st play of of 11 on 11 was a sack. This would set the tone for the rest of the day.

About 4th or 5th play McNabb his Austin in stride for a long TD. Austin got behind Rogers and Landry in a scene all too familiar for Redskin Fans.

McNabb didn't complete a lot of passes today, but it's evident he's not afraid to go down field. He threw 2 TDs(bomb to Austin and a 20yarder to Davis) and 2 INTS today. McNabb did show the ability to recognize the blitz and get the ball out early.

Grossman had the best day connecting on several intermediate routes hitting Cooley and Williams for decent YAC. He also tossed a 15 yarder to Parker who most certainly would've taken it to the house. Another play Grossman eluded the rush and hit Galloway for about a 50 yard bomb. Galloway made a good diving catch.

Colt threw the first INT today. A low pass to Vickers who could not hold on and the ball popped up into Westbrooks hands. Colt doesn't have too much zip in his throws. Nothing really note worthy from him.

The run game for the most part was not too effective, but there were some good ones.

Parker got around the right corner for what probably would've been a TD. Parker was hitting the hole pretty good, when it was there. Parker had two other decent runs up the middle and cutting to the left.

Larry Johnson had the most productive day, gaining tough yardage up the middle.

CP didn't take too many reps

Torain has ability to make a few people miss and he can hit a lil bit. On one play Torain clocked a blitzing LB, knocking him to the ground.

Torain and Young were really struggling in individual blocking drills. LJ looked decent and CP-U already know!

Keiland Williams will not make the squad.

Moss and Galloway were your starters with Armstrong looking good as the 2nd/3rd option. Kyle has our WR's lining up everywhere. It seemed every WR got opportunities in the slot and out wide. Devin had a few nice catches and always seemed to get YAC.

Cooley caught a pass or two and Davis caught some passes and a TD. Davis could be seen lining up out wide as well.

O-line-Our Rookie looks good, but the D got a lot of pressure today. Again not too many running lanes open today.

Our defense consistently got pressure today and from my count about 11 or 12 sacks today.

There was a lot of movement and different looks. Sometimes both OLB on one side with three D-linemen heavy on the other side. It's sight for sore eyes after watching Blaches generic D last year. I even saw a 2-4-5 nickel package out there with the two OLB standing up at the RE and LE spots.

Expect Moore to be our starting FS. He picked off Mcnabb twice today and looked superb in coverage. Even man to man on TE's.

Landry was moving around a lot and all around our secondary was blitzing. Tryon looks good too. He got an INT today on a Rex Grossmen underthrow. Barnes and Tryon were taking reps with the second team as well as Buchanon and Blackmon.

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

CSNwashington confirming the trde

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Interesting...who goes?

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 12:43 PM

No one...yet. Well, BArtell will certainly be released....And Colt/Rex/Beck will battle for #2....loser gets #3....and the worst will get cut....We are weak @ QB if McNabb goes down.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 12:38 PM

Be curious to see what we gave them. Any Guesses? MK maybe?

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 2, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 2, 2010 12:43 PM

was thinking more along the lines of an injury that took out McNabb for something longer than a series or two...

but such is life in the NFL, including the possibility of redemption for Rex.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Why should I care what Brian Baldinger thinks about Donovan McNabb? His claim to fame is that he is a failed color analyst.

Posted by: ouvan59 | August 2, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Ravens are desoarate for CBs and no way we could have stashed Dutch on the PSqaud another year.

They needed a CB
We needed to upgrade our QB situation...

Win-Win (for now)

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Vicc. Davis = Shannon Sharpe. He's going to kill it this year.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 2, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 2, 2010 12:43 PM

The only time I want to see Rex coming off the bench is to get McNabb as Gatorade.

Posted by: lemming | August 2, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

***Other Notes***

Bartel on a bad snap unwisely made a bad pitch to the running back for a fumbled recovered by the D.

CP stalemated Orakpo in blocking drills

Barnes leveled LJ on a run to the left. Barnes can lay some wood.

CP, McNabb and Haynesworth were chit-chating it up on the sidelines.

Special teams practiced timing on onside kick unit and safety punt unit.

No injuries.

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly

Did this a while back. Took a cross section of QBs (about 20), and only selected those that were comparable to McNabb through his current age (ie, guys who'd been successful, multiple Pro Bowls, etc). Of the 20, 14 were worse, only Favre was better. 5 were comparable.

The 5 that were comparable averaged 4 more seasons as a full-time starter. Of those 20 seasons, they were evenly divided between good seasons (90+ QB rating), average seasons (QB rating in the 80's) and bad seasons (below 80 rating).

Obviously, only time will tell if McNabb is great for years to come or if he's got a couple of good years left and that's it. But the odds say ... McNabb (w/slight optimism) has 2 more strong years and 1 decent year left in him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Vicc thanks for the update

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

moooooooooooooooooove along... Shanahan is a nice guy after all.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

beeps.

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

On McNabb's age: His age, given his fitness, is a non-issue.

On taking advantage of McNabb's skill-set: Miles beyond the last guy's skill set, he has as much or more skill than any QB we have had since perhaps Joe T or Sonny. Shananhan has traditionally utilized the strengths of his players and minimized the weaknesses. This is a great pairing.

On whether McNabb's best days are behind him: No.

On what separates McNabb from Peyton Manning or Tom Brady: Who freaking cares? As MinorTthreat says correctly "If Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer can win The Superbowl I'll take my chances with McNabb."

Posted by: amaranthpa | August 2, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Our starting wide outs

V jackson
S moss
D thomas

Yes me make the move for jackson. Moss has one year left n I doubt hell be resigned. I think we get jackson n still draft a young wr for kyle shanny to groom

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 2, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Baldy is a d-bag. Just another schmucky Philly fan. And he's a terrible color man. When he's calling a game, I mute the TV.

Posted by: right-to-self-defense | August 2, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmChairQB | August 2, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------
Would that we could de-twitchify Snyder. Unfortunately, he's more twitched up than a meth freak at a Mountain Dew delivery truck rollover.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | August 2, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't hear any mention of how those teams in Philly were too easy to defend because they passed on almost every play. Philly could never even convert a 3rd and 1 with a run play. Also those two other qb's had supreme of talent at the wr spot, something Mcnabb never had. Mcnabb did a great job on a pass happy team with 3rd string receivers (ok he had TO for 1 year).

Posted by: MaxnDC | August 9, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse