More on injuries to Donovan McNabb, Mike Sellers

Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb and fullback Mike Sellers did not participate in Monday's practice because of injuries suffered in Saturday's preseason loss to Baltimore, and neither the players nor Coach Mike Shanahan could say whether they would return for Friday's game at the New York Jets.

McNabb was wearing a boot on his left foot in the morning, then wore what appeared to be an air cast on his left ankle during Monday's afternoon practice.

"I really didn't know how bad it was," Shanahan said. "I still don't really know how bad it is. He's getting treatment. We'll just kind of figure it out day-by-day."

Sellers injured his left leg while blocking against the Ravens and watched practice from the side Monday.

"You always get nervous when you get injured," Sellers said. "You never know how bad it is or what's happening. I think anybody, any time you get injured, you're nervous.

"It's calmed down quite a bit...I expect to play every week. Now, whether my trainers tell me I can, I don't know."

Shanahan said that if this were the regular season, Sellers would be listed as questionable for the game against the Jets. The team signed fullback Carey Davis over the weekend.

Shanahan also said that Willie Parker will start at halfback against the Jets, but both Larry Johnson and Clinton Portis will see playing time.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 23, 2010; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tyrone Carter knows the 3-4 defense
Next: Trent Williams says he's fine, will practice this week

Comments

And so it begins....

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 23, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I keep reading,"Haynesworth lashed out at the team after Saturday night's loss to the Baltimore Ravens..."

"lashed out"? really? feels more like he "whined" or "bleated" or "complained".

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 23, 2010 4:12 PM

I keep reading those same things, but my take on reality is that "lashed out" means "spoke at all to the assembled media feeding frenzy."

The guy had a crappy showing, esp. at the NT spot. I get that. He was pissed off about his performance (as I was). He needed to vent. He vented. He has nothing whatsoever to ever gain to speaking to the media at all. His best answer so far was today in response to the question about when he's going to talk to the media again ... "Never."

Posted by: dcsween | August 23, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the New Era...

The Donovan McHurt Era.

We basically swapped Jason Campbell for Rex Grossman. I'm not so optimistic about that.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 23, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@ Thinker...

Welcome to the New Era...

The Donovan McHurt Era.

-------------------------------------------

Sorry Thinker, I disagree... McNabb was "slightly" limping around during the game, I really don't condider that as a major injury or a reason to pull the trigger on Grossman... It really wasn't that bad, and he was able to finish the half still firing bullets...

Posted by: mattkrogman | August 23, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this ushers in the era of McHurt. Hell, we're lucky he wasn't hurt worse.

By they way, how is this not a penalty:

Posted by: HunterB | August 23, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Put Hemorrhoid Haynesworth on the IR because of his "condition". That way you keep him out of sight, out of mind. If he's with the team, the Hemorrhoid will get infected and he'll spread his infection.

Posted by: getitritegov | August 23, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

McNabb will be fine.

Trent Williams will be fine. He got beat once for a sack...I don't expect a 4th round draft pick at LT to need help consistently.

You deactivate Haynesworth and send him home. DO NOT RELEASE HIM OUTRIGHT.

Relax!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 23, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

I have officially entered Bizarro World, where McNabb limping after a half of work in a preseason game has a silver lining...

And where Trent Williams is a 4th round draft pick.

Aside from those encouraging scenarios, I'd say the Redskins have a LOT of work to do over the next two weeks.

I'd also say there is NO WAY McNabb lasts the season. He couldn't do it in Philly and their line hasn't been as bad as ours since...well, maybe never.

He'll get hurt. Grossman will play. Campbell will also get hurt in Oakland. Blah blah blah.

ps - don't you mean Terrence Trent Williams? He's the Wishing Well One Hit Wonder guy.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 24, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Razor lip will show that without John Elway and TD he can't coach Arena ball. This mess will fester and McChicken will be gimping around throwing ducks and dirt balls. If you think the Raven's pimp slapped him, wait until the Jets get it in. They do not play and this is starters for 2/3 of the game so no excuses. this game they plan for and strategize and when we end up with fans chanting "We want Spingarn, We want Spingarn" you will agree cause that is all they can handle. We are- Detroit East... Book It..

Posted by: doyouktt | August 24, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Ahhhh. Makes me nostalgic for last year... NOT!!! Enjoy Rex the wonder-dog DEadskins Fans!!!!

Posted by: Dog-1 | August 24, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

More on injuries to Donovan McNabb, Mike Sellers"

Really, where?

Posted by: millineumman | August 24, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

This team is going to go off the rails once the injuries start piling up. This is what happens when you have such an old team with very little depth.

Posted by: Aerowaz | August 24, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

CP26 had an attitude adjustment. He's motivated
this year and it's due to the HC's expertise.
AH92 is not adjustable thanks to former management's blunder of hiring a talented
multi-millionaire with no personal pride or
sense of team.

Posted by: DeployedFan | August 24, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: doyouktt | August 24, 2010 6:20 AM
___________________________________________

I agree the Skins are doomed this year and anytime your friend fire you from a job you must be out of touch with today players!

Posted by: shamken | August 24, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Lots of doom and gloom on here today. One pre season loss to a good team causes the fickle fan to show up.

Posted by: VegasJim | August 24, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse