NBC analysts pan Donovan McNabb benching

Dan Steinberg noted Sunday night that Washington analysts didn't have a lot of kind things to say about Mike Shanahan's decision to bench Donovan McNabb late in Sunday's loss at Detroit. Well, the national analysts weren't thrilled with the decision either.

Here's a selection of quotes from NBC's "Football Night in America" broadcast.

Tony Dungy: "If I'm Donovan McNabb, I'm hot. I'm your starting quarterback. As a coach, I can't take you out of the game when we have a chance to win if I believe in you. This tells me they don't believe in him."

Rodney Harrison: "What does it tell you about the coaching staff if they had the entire summer, spring, and two months within the season to prepare yourself? This guy is a veteran quarterback. He's not a rookie quarterback. Never pull him out, especially for Rex Grossman, are you kidding me?"

Harrison: "It was an awful decision by Mike Shanahan. Donovan McNabb is not a rookie quarterback. He's a veteran guy. What type of statement are you making to your team saying that I am pulling my best player and sitting him on the bench in the most critical situation of the game."

Dungy: "What you're saying is 'I don't believe in my quarterback.' And to me, you cannot do that unless you plan on making a quarterback change."

Harrison: "Donovan grows bitter at this point. He has two weeks to marinate on this and he's sitting there saying, 'This happened to me in the past. That situation didn't work out. Why would you replace me with Rex Grossman?'"

By Rick Maese  | November 1, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Big questions heading into the bye
Next: Analysis: Benching of McNabb raises questions about this season and beyond

Comments

Bring back....

Double G Willliams
Jason Campbell
Brandon Lloyd
Antoine Randle El
The late Jack Kent cooke
Bobby B.

And, as always....

Leigh Torrence

Hey, couldn't hoit.

Posted by: TheCork | November 1, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Analysts pandering to an ignorant audience that thinks every game is a about the QB.

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Analysts pandering to an ignorant audience that thinks every game is a about the QB, alone.

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:08 AM

Are you really that blind and dumb? Dungy has actually coached in the league and knows what he's talking about.

Shanahan made a foolish, selfish decision. If he's pissed at McNabb, then make a change during the bye.

Posted by: Skinz4Lyfe | November 1, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Detroit is truly a house of horrors. This game could have just been a bad loss...

Now, it could be another unraveling of a season a la 2009.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 1, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

You want Antwaan "I can run whichever direction I want" Randle El back? Are you sure??

They should have simply started Grossman the whole game. McNabb could have gotten seriously hurt yesterday.

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, the boneheaded NERDS should have kept their head in the game, but this was ultimately a total team loss.

Did you actually get a chance to watch the game?

Posted by: monk811 | November 1, 2010 8:32 AM

Yep...it was on in Bmore...unfortunately...and since these FREAKS have nothing to talk about since they are off this week...its all about the McNabb benching up here.

You're right...it was a total team loss...I think nearly everyone made a boo boo or two...even SuperBanks...some were much more magnified than others though.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 1, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

No problem with the benching, I just don't like the excuse.

Mike Shanahan should have told it like it was

"We pulled Donovan because he made one of the worst decisions I've ever seen on that last pass. The only thing worse than the descision was the throw. Everyone who saw it is now impotent."

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 1, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

As always, by the next morning I'm not as angry as I was right after the game.

I still disagree with Shanahan benching McNabb when the game was still winnable.

On the other hand, we should have won yesterday, despite the poor running game and terrible protection for McNabb. Why? Because we killed ourselves with idiotic penalties yesterday - Phillip Daniels offsides on the FG attempt which turned 3 points for Detroit into 7 points, Buchanon's defensive holding on 3rd and long, which gave the Lions a fresh set of downs and led to more points, Artis Hicks false start on a late drive, etc., etc., etc.

Basically, we played like the Cowboys yesterday, committing too many crucial penalties that kept Detroit in the game.

The Skins can't change most of their O-line in midseason nor can they discover a beast WR to help the passing game, but they CAN eliminate the mental errors, and if they do that, they can win another 5 games.

I'm still saying 9-7 is possible, provided they play SMART football in the last 8 games.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 1, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

If Coach Shanahan wants to bench anyone, maybe he should look at the interior of the offensive line, whose members played "Ole!" the entire day. It put Suh in the Hall of Fame! Or better yet, how about benching LaRon Landry for posing and talking trash to Matt Stafford after a third and short play the Lions converted?

Posted by: stwasm | November 1, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Someone please tell Tony Dungy to go back to church and stop being such a puzzy.

After he went out of his way to chide Rex Ryan for cursing, he lost his man card.

So, smile and whisper to Tony Dungy to go f*ck himself.

Who cared what Rodney Harrison says either.

Maybe it's a 'brother' thing.

McNabb was sucking royal donkey penis and he got the hook.

B-F-D!

Move on.

He'll come back to Philly and light it up! We will be 5-4 and no worse than second place in the NFC East.

Bank It!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 1, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Not a Harrison fan, but I 100% agree. If Vick is your backup, I MIGHT get it. Not when The Human Turnover is your backup.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz4Lyfe | November 1, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, but as a commentator, Dungy's in the entertainment business now. He's a smart guy, but these folks tell the audience what they want to hear. That's why they pick the Cowboys to win the Superbowl each year.

His second job is a paid moral consultant to the league. He takes players who make the league look bad on fishing trips.

But, I digress. It really didn't matter who was under center yesterday. The Skins offense might as well have played with two tackles, a snapper, 2 fullbacks, 2 tight ends, 2 running backs, and 2 recievers.

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Our QB has a crappy O-line, is learning a new offense, and doesn't have talented wideouts.

Is the low-scoring offense his fault or not...

Sound familiar?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone see that Randle El ranks last in punt return in a 3 yard avg.

Ha, at least we got that one right.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 1, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Wait, up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, no it's the "If CP were in the backfield, McNabb would have had time" arguments.

I liked what I saw from Torain given the zone, er, I mean zero-blocking scheme. I liked what I saw from KW until that retarded end zone celebration that included a teammate going over to high-five but then turned and walked away.

Epic!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 1, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's a 'brother' thing.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 1, 2010 9:28 AM

Or maybe you're a racist POS...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 1, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

abject failure at all levels, starting with the ENTIRE coaching staff...save for special teams...

Mike, Kyle, and Haz, all need to spend 15 hours a day at the park for the next 2 week fixing their f-up....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 1, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Is the low-scoring offense his fault or not...

Sound familiar?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Yep, and that's exactly why I'm not buying that defense this year. I defended Campbell with the best of them, then he went to Oakland and made them miss JaMarcus Russell.

Again, you can blame the O-Line all you want but it wasn't Cory Lichtensteiger lobbing it into triple coverage yesterday while trying to protect a lead.

I used to wonder why Philly fans hated Mcnabb so much but I'm starting to get it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 1, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Is the low-scoring offense his fault or not...

Sound familiar?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 1, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:32 AM

You're right. The Redskins are one of the absolute worst teams in the league and somehow managed to win 4 games with smoke and mirrors. They'll finish at 6-10 or 7-9. An improvement over Zorn's era, but how hard could that be?

Posted by: Skinz4Lyfe | November 1, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Is the low-scoring offense his fault or not...

Sound familiar?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 1, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Look, I think we all know why Shanahan benched McNabb and it wasn't becuase Rex plays the 2 minute drill better...LOL

I disagree with the timing of the benching, but not the real motivation of the move: Shanny is telling McNabb that when you have a 5-point lead with 5:21 in the game and you're on you're own 26-yard line, you do not throw a pick into triple coverage.

That pass was absolutely Favresque in its stupidity.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 1, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Was it Mike's decision or Kyle's?

I think it was Kyle's. I've seen McNabb come off the field and get chided by Kyle several times this year, with McNabb responding with body language like "that's my fault?"

To me, this seems to be Kyle's way of covering his rear end. His pass-happy offense has been effective in one game, the loss to the Texans.

Kyle played wide-reciever in college. Now, he thinks that passing is the only way to win.

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 1, 2010 9:41 AM

They don't miss Russell now. Campbell is on a roll and the Raiduhs are winning. I bet Campbell doesn't miss Washington one bit.

Posted by: Skinz4Lyfe | November 1, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Original_etrod @ 9:40 AM:

Another way to look at it--our former QB is gelling in Oakland and our current QB has an impressive resume prior to this year.

Maybe there's some validity to the "excuses".

Posted by: Alan4 | November 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Original_etrod @ 9:40 AM:

Maybe there's some validity to the "excuses".

Posted by: Alan4 | November 1, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

2 TD passes against Denver. What's we're really "missing" is whether Denver regrets replacing Shanhan with McDaniels. I think the thin air out in Colorado affects people's brain function.

Posted by: jboogie1 | November 1, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Days like today are when we need to remember that this was a tuurrible last year, and still has many of the same flaws.

Perhaps bringing in McNabb was a mistake, but in terms of moving on from a 4-12 identity, they could have done far worse. I get that.

The Zorn years weren't so damaging for the coaching blunders, but for the Cerrato decisions to bring in Haynesworth, draft Thomas, Kelly, Davis, and Barnes, while busting on Rinehart, and staking your right Oline on a 400 pounder getting back into shape.

These were moves designed to fill real needs yet you might as well score it as 0-fer. We still need more play-makers, but for such a rotten foundation, 4-4 at this point in the season is pretty good.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 1, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

4th, your "book its" are losing its thunder.

did you read my book it? eagles will win the superbowl this year! and if they don't i'll kiss anyone's a $$ at 23rd and J NW, DC.

Kyle has been a liability with his play calling. he's actually thinking about putting away a team with this offense????!!! with this oLine? really?! and you know what...I double dare him to put grossman in there! I hope to god he puts Grossman in there to start the game against philly. It'll be sack, fumble, INT, sack...behind that line.

if shanny doesn't think he made a mistake by benching mcnaab then SHOW IT by playing Grossman.

(e)Trod, really? you're hating on mcnaab? really? because you rather have who as playing QB? I want names. Who out there is better than mcnaab that is not under lockdown contract?

Posted by: dealer1 | November 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Rodney Harrison has got to be the worst analyst in the business today.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 1, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

You guys have got to be kidding me. Without McNabb we are 0-8. He's not the most accurate but he is a WINNER. THE LINE is terrible and he did all he could not to be sacked 14 times. The coaching and the line sucks and until the Shanahans check their egos at the door this is what we are going to get. Haynesworth should have been playing.

Posted by: jkimbr1 | November 1, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

GROSSMAN over McNabb ?????

Posted by: vrbjunk | November 1, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse