QB Donovan McNabb: "I'm very excited about" the wide receivers

Throughout the preseason, many of Washington's fans expressed concern about the team's wide receivers.

Washington kicks off the regular season Sunday night against Dallas at FedEx Field, and quarterback Donovan McNabb has confidence in the wideouts.

"I think they will" surprise people, McNabb said the other day. "I'm very excited about the guys that we have here. Santana [Moss] has been a guy that I've seen over the years who continued to kill us in Philly. Joey [Galloway] still has gas in the tank. We have some young guys who can really open up our eyes and be very effective in this offense.

"We have two tight ends [Chris Cooley and Fred Davis] that speak for themselves. They're very athletic and create mismatches versus safeties and linebackers. I'm very excited about those guys. And the list goes on."

By Jason Reid  |  September 9, 2010; 6:21 AM ET
Categories:  Chris Cooley , Donovan McNabb , Fred Davis , Santana Moss , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: Albert Haynesworth 'will be with our team on Sunday' (updated)
Next: Trent Williams faces tough test in DeMarcus Ware in his NFL debut

Comments

QB Donovan McNabb: "I'm very excited about" the wide receivers

By Jason Reid | September 9, 2010; 6:21 AM ET

Easily the FIRST person to say that here since Art Monk retired...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

At first you think he is lying when he says he is excited about the receivers. You know he was definitely lying when he says "And the list goes on" after naming moss, galloway, cooley and davis.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 9, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

srobert, I think when he says "and the list goes on" he means "once we get Vincent Jackson"...the more I hear about this "mystery team" that had a deal done to get him last week, the more I think the Redskins are that team...

We should know if it's gonna happen by next week. Big hearing to see if he has to miss 3 weeks or 6...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

In McNabb's 11 year career in Philly. he had better receivers then he does now maybe 3 times. He never had better TE's then he does now, McNabb will make this guys look better then they are and Kyle's offense will put them in the proper place to make plays.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 9, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

A QB has to believe in his receivers for them to believe in him.

Is anyone else hoping Jason Campbell has a great year in Oakland?

Posted by: narielnasl | September 9, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 7:14 AM
------------------------------------------
I'd love to see that happen Brownwood, but I am thinking that GM in San Diego is just border-line nutso about the value of VJ and Bruce Allen won't give up the farm to get him. Nope, the more I think about it, the more I think McNabb is just talking about all of the young guys when he says, "...the list goes on". He won't single out one for worry that he might slight the others. I am sure he has his opinion on who he would like running the routes, and that opinion might not gel with those of the coaches.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

A QB has to believe in his receivers for them to believe in him.

Is anyone else hoping Jason Campbell has a great year in Oakland?

Posted by: narielnasl | September 9, 2010 7:22 AM
------------------------------------------
Nope.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

No love for DT11? I'm shocked...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 9, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow...get this prediction from Peter Schrager on Foxsports.com:

"Rex Grossman starts more games than Donovan McNabb in Washington and plays as well, if not better, than Kevin Kolb in Philadelphia."

Wow...wouldn't that be something...

RSH, agree on A.J. Smith out in SD...but that guy has to wise up and realize that if he doesn't trade VJ NOW, he tanks his trade value with every passing day. VJ ain't playin' around and next year he may not have a franchise tag to keep him from moving. Seems like he wants it both ways...can't tell VJ that he's not Brandon Marshall and doesn't deserve Marshall money and then ask for Marshall type compensation in a trade. I wouldn't want that kind of nerve in a tooth...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

No love for DT11? I'm shocked...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 9, 2010 7:30 AM
-----------------------------------------
Yes, imagine that a quarterback only has faith in the guys who actually catch the ball on a consistent basis.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I hope JC has a great year and career. He's a good kid he was just a victim of the system in place under Snyder/ Cerrato. Now that no one is tinkering with his throwing motion and he can let loose with that cannon, I think he'll do great. Good Luck Jason. back to the here and now I think Mc5 is right, it's gonna be hard to cover all that speed Moss, Galloway and Armstrong while looking out for Cooley. Plus in wide sets don't be surprised to see Davis in the slot. combine that with a running game that's almost scientifically proven to work and a defense that wants the ball back for the offense and I'm smellin 10-6. call it kool ade if you want, but the rest of the east doesn't scare me anymore

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 9, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

What the hell happened to my post?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Donovan McNabb is a positive influence in my life.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 9, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Big news everyone!!!

McNabb made more remarks in support of his teammates.

WHOAH! This blows my mind. I expected him to trash his wide recievers.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 9, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

What the hell happened to my post?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 7:36 AM
-----------------------------------------
Blog police. They snagged one of mine, too.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 |

I think he wants a 2nd and a 4th rounder for VJ. My understanding that the mystery team had agreed to a 1 year contract with VJ. It would make sense if it was the Redskins. If they could have gotten two picks from the Titans they probably could have met the compensation for SD. The front office probably does not want to give up its 2nd and another pick in this year's draft for VJ without trading AH for more picks. that would leave them with very few picks again.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 9, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow...McNabb as the 6th rated Redskin? Dude is an idiot:

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 6:20 AM

brown, I have more of an issue with some other rankings this guy has made than the McNabb ranking. That said, if you drop a couple players ranked higher than McNabb that don't deserve the rank they got, I'd move him up a couple notches.

Posted by: hessone | September 9, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

"I hope JC has a great year and career. He's a good kid he was just a victim of the system in place under Snyder/ Cerrato..."

If JC does better this year, it's because he's playing the weak defenses of the AFC West. Yes, you'll see him make some deep throws, long completions for TD's, and he'll look great on paper and highlight reels.

He will also throw a lot of interceptions and get sacked because he holds the ball too long. He's also an injury waiting to happen with his clumsy way of running (Nyjer Morgan can slide feet-first better than JC).

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 9, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I'll never understand why a Redskins fan would wish any ill-will toward Campbell...it's not like he was epically awful like Heath Shuler. What the hell does it prove if he goes elsewhere and doesn't do well?

Dude is in Oakland. We play them once every 4 years. There is literally no harm whatsoever in wishing the guy well in another conference, on the other side of the country...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 9, 2010 7:35 AM
------------------------------------------
I share your sentiment that JC was a nice guy, but I am weary of the whole apologist theme: He was in multiple offenses. Zorn messed up his mechanics. The scheme wasn't a good fit. He didn't have a good supporting cast. Give it a rest. He was all he was going to be, and that was a mediocre quarterback. Some teams have gone to the Superbowl with a great defense, great running game but a mediocre quarterback; however, if a team is looking to have a QB that can win games for them, they need something more. Washington was looking for something more. JC wasn't it and got traded.

He's now a mediocre quarterback leading the offense of a team with a flimsy offensive line, a owner that's a head case, and a group of unheralded wide receivers. For JC, it is business as usual.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

As much as I'd like to have VJax, for the right price, I think that mystery team is Seattle. They let go Who's-Your-Momma (Championship!!!) saying he didn't fit into their "future plans". Maybe they got rid of him to make room for Jackson.

Posted by: monk811 | September 9, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 7:48 AM
------------------------------------------
If it is any consolation, I don't wish Tom Brady well on game day either.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 7:53 AM |

Nail on the head.

Not an excuse, but he never had a decent o-line here and that made him gun shy after a while.

Posted by: hessone | September 9, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

I for one, hope that JC has a good year, same with the raiders, but ONLY because the Pats have the raiders 1st round pick, and I completely despise the pats....

I'm still in the corner for DT/11, hope he takes one to the house on a kr.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Who gave McNabb some Kool-Aid?

Posted by: wfchez | September 9, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

I think the reason why people don't want to see him do well is that it could possibly signal a mistake by the new regime letting him go. If he is productive and has a good season it will start to raise questions why the trade for McNabb.

If he doesn't do well than everyone can breathe easier knowing that the FO is as good as advertised and made the right move.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 9, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 9, 2010 7:56 AM

PFT says it wasn't Seattle and that it was an NFC team. Just reading between the lines here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

brown, PFT had a post yesterday about how MShanny said that AHaynesworth had a 'great practice' yesterday....curious why we didn't see that up here....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Every practice is great when I don't need to do anything.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 9, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 9, 2010 8:06 AM

And, if I'm not mistaken, the 4th round pick we're supposed to get for him goes bye-bye.

I'm rooting for JC...nice kid and we get our 4th rounder. Hoping for former players to fail (outside of career d-bags like AH, of course) is the stuff of losers...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

First he adopts Albert Haynesworth.

Then he lavishes praise on the Redskin receiving corps.

Next: McNabb will visit a local animal shelter and adopt a dozen ferrel cats, bare moments before they are scheduled to be put down.

"That's just the kind of person I am," explained the quarterback.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 9, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

It's ben so long, sorry #5, but I gotta see our WR production before I believe it. I know we fans have seen nothing of the O, but show me first.

I also have a concern about our LB cover skills.

Posted by: artsnsportz | September 9, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

First he adopts Albert Haynesworth.

Then he lavishes praise on the Redskin receiving corps.

"That's just the kind of person I am," explained the quarterback.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 9, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I saw that too Greg...I guess it's just not sensational enough...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 7:53 AM |

Nail on the head.

Posted by: hessone | September 9, 2010 7:59 AM

The technical term is "Patrick Ramsey syndrome."

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 9, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: artsnsportz | September 9, 2010 8:18 AM

Agree that they have to "show me", but if McNabb can ride Freddie f-ing Mitchell to a SB, then I'm pretty sure he can get us over .500 with Moss, Galloway and AA. Hopefully Portis will run the hell outta the ball so it's not all on the passing game anyway...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

"My main concern is Witten having a field day going against our LB's."

This is dead on.

You know like I do that Jason Garret will call formations that 'flex' Witten to the side where A Carter is playing outside linebacker.

Carter--a coverted defensive end--will have to take on an elite NFL tight end in space underneath with help over top.

I like the switch to a 3-4 look.

But I don't like the idea of A Carter playing defensive end.

We need an athletic outside linebacker playing opposite B Orakpo.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Hope I don't injure myself on Sunday.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 9, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

People think our receivers are bad because of how they have performed. Well, you can only be as good as your QB if you are a WR. Moss should have a career year as long as he is healthy. I expect Anthony Armstrong to surpass Galloway opposite Moss and play a similar role that Pierre Garcon does for the Colts. I hope they find create ways to get the ball in Banks' hands as well.

Posted by: heycisco01 | September 9, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Do you really need to ask?

It's the trendy thing now-a-days to dump and pile on the Haynesworth drama. And just as they squeezed out that one stubborn turd, they go and pop some laxative to go give themselves the runs to go sh*t on the situation some more.

If he does anything positive (which isn't often) people are always conveniently looking the other way. WaPo, other media, fans, and so on.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Only thing more dull today (opening night/dallas week)than endless AH debate is a Jason Campbell debate Redux!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm just not sold on sending a couple of picks to get VJ, unless we can do something to replenish those picks. It just seems like we would be getting back to our old ways of trading for someone else's star (and someone else's headache) rather than developing our own. I would like to see us actually go into a draft with our full complement of picks, preferably with a few extra that we got from trading away some of our headaches.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 9, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

We need an athletic outside linebacker playing opposite B Orakpo.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:24 AM

I still don't get why we don't at least kick the tires on Adalius Thomas...that dude can rush and cover as well as any 3-4 LB. I know he didn't live up to his big contract in NE, but he can play all over the field...Baltimore used him everywhere but CB. He's just gotta be better than what we have now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I am the most dominant defensive player of this generation.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 9, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

red, yeah I said that tongue in cheek....kind of like when Fred Davis overslept...we heard about that for a year and a half....its only recently gotten dropped when talking about FD...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 9, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

vic1

"McNabb seems to have a special place in his heart for the lost, misguided and forelorn."

I just as much a cynic as the next guy.

And I think McNabb's embrace of the suspect and doubted reflects what we haven't had from a starting quarterback in years.

Something called: Leadership.

Something called: "Hey, bro', I'll stand up for you in the media, 'cuz I want you to understand that I'm in charge on the field."

I find McNabb's defense of AH and his receiving group refreshing.

After 5 years of Jason Campbell's effete Southern Gentlemen silence, we wanted a top flight quarterback with presence, moxie, and charisma.

So let McNabb take the weight of this team on his shoulders.

'Cuz that's what quarterbacks as leaders do.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

brown, given how teams have avoided AThomas like rancid meat, perhaps there is more to this than we know.....he was a locker room problem up in NE, having some well publicized problems with BBelichick...so perhaps his attiude, and age have caught up to him..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Red, for real dude...not trying to be funny here, but is there a player on the Redskins roster you won't defend? Seems like you're especially sensitive when anyone says something about DHall...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I am the leader of this team.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 9, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 8:35 AM

I hear ya...but this is the same team that took a chance on Larry Johnson. LB is a need, far more than RB was when we went after LJ. Not saying the guy will be great or an answer to prayer, per se...just sayin' it might be worth bringing the guy in for a workout...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

McNabb seems to have a special place in his heart for the lost, misguided and forelorn...
Posted by: Vic1 | September 9, 2010 8:19 AM

He must be the one writing lol after your posts.

Posted by: mack1 | September 9, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Does anything say "NFL Opening Night Music act" less than the putrid Dave matthews Band?

although to be fair i am anti all music acts/BS entertainment biz hype on opening night.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth

"I am the most dominant defensive player of this generation."

If the generation is 2000-2010, who is that Most Dominate Defensive player?

a. Ed Reed?

b. Troy Polamalu?

c. Jason Taylor?

d. Ray Lewis?

e. Charles Woodson?

f. Champ Bailey?

g. Derrick Brooks?

h. Junior Seau?

i. London Fletcher?

j. Micheal Strahan?

k. John Lynch?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"My main concern is Witten having a field day going against our LB's."

This is dead on.

I like the switch to a 3-4 look.

But I don't like the idea of A Carter playing defensive end.

We need an athletic outside linebacker playing opposite B Orakpo.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:24 AM
------------------------------------------
I don't think Haslett will have Carter drop back in coverage on Witten. In those circumstances, Carter will blitz and McIntosh will swing out into coverage on the tight end. The ideal situation is to force Witten to stay into block by blitzing from his side. If Carter rings Romo's bell a few times early, that'll happen. And believe me, Haslett wants to ring Romo's bell early and often. If I were him, my major objective in the first half would be to destroy the QB's confidence in his offensive line.

BTW, I am totally looking for the corner blitz on Sunday. I try to relate this defense to the old Steelers' defenses and I envision Carlos Rogers will be used like Rod Woodson, which means he will blitz at least once a game. Rogers might not lead the league's corners in interceptions this year but he could lead the league's corners in sacks. Dang, I just gave myself goosebumps.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 8:44 AM

I'm with you CL...although I dig DMB, I think all the pomp and circumstance before an f-ing regular season game is ridiculous. The SB halftime show is bad enough, but at least that's a championship game...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

chrislarry

I agree.

I say, "Just put the damn game on without the music, show, pretense, and whatnot."

But I do want them 'shot from behind' cheerleader segues from time to time, though.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

nervous about whitten as well so my hope is that we just punch Romo in the mouth so early and frequently that he can't even conceive of waiting for Whitten to lumber across the middle.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

For those in the DC area, is the bad weather supposed to be during the game or early on Sunday?

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 9, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

So let McNabb take the weight of this team on his shoulders.

'Cuz that's what quarterbacks as leaders do.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:35 AM

Co-sign

Posted by: wireman65 | September 9, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:45 AM

Albert Haynesworth of course!

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 9, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 8:46 AM

If I were him, my major objective would be to f*ck up Romo's ability to walk and/or think straight...but I'll settle for destroying his confidence...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

brown,

Malcolm Kelly, Joey Galloway, Chad Rhinhart, Rex Grossman, probably Mike Sellers and Reed Doughty.

That was hard to think about. And I wouldn't necessarily say that I wouldn't defend those guys. It all depends on the argument being presented.

I support the team, therefor I support most of the players and choose to defend most of them when someone comes up here spewing bs nonsense.

The Haynesworth hate I get that. Dude leaves a lot to be desired and seems to be all about stuffing his pockets. But DeAngelo Hall? Will never get that one.

I think it's because he also defends his teammates. Even the ones that are unpopular due to their actions. But you know what? So does McNabb, and I haven't read anything suggesting that McNabb "shut his trap and play" or any groaning about him making comments frequently to the media, or anything calling him "Haynesworth's 'mouthpiece'".

I think people hate DeAngelo Hall because he was in Mike Vick's corner, and we know how 90% of America feels about Mike Vick.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 8:35 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 8:42 AM
------------------------------------------
The Patriots have brought new life to a lot of aging veterans, so if Belichick cashes out on an older player, you have to believe that player is done.

BTW, I think the right outside linebacker will be more like a fourth defensive lineman on most plays. Think about it. Haslett used former defensive lineman for that position only. There's a reason for that. He won't drop that guy back into coverage very often, and it won't often be against someone like Witten. Fletcher and McIntosh will be doing most of the pass coverage with Orakpo being used occasionally and Carter almost never being used. Teams will throw a tightend and a full back to that side to try and exploit it and Haslett will love that. That leaves Orakpo a naked blitzer on the other side. I think this is going to be a fun defense to watch.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 8:44 AM

I love the band, it's fantastic. It's the "Dave Matthews" part that ruins it.

I agree with you on all the sideshow bs. Every year the game becomes less and less relevent.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 9, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

here is one thing i see as a vast improvement over last season: our coach's abilities to game plan to attack opponents weakness. This was something zorn/blache crue seemed extra woeful at.So with that i expect hazzlat to attack the hurt, young and crappyy cowpukes line and see being able to do that as a key to Skins victory.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

chrislarry

I agree.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:49 AM |

The worse thing that happened to sports in general is that it was labelled entertainment. To me it's a game.

Like Cyndi Lauper sings, "money changes everything".

Posted by: hessone | September 9, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

red, I hear you on Dhall, what I don't get is that a lot of people pin their hate on the guy, for the JDelhomme missed tackle...really?? One play, and he's done??

not a big fan of DMatthews, agreed on the forced nature of the music....however if they were to put van halen with Sam Hagar out there...it might change my mind...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

redskinhead

"I don't think Haslett will have Carter drop back in coverage on Witten. In those circumstances, Carter will blitz and McIntosh will swing out into coverage on the tight end."

...and thus, Witten can run and 'arrow' or 'hitch' or 'stop-go' route and collect big catches/yards during the time Rock gets into position to cover him.

And god forbid they decide to send Witten on a 'stutter-go' route (that's a double move) with A Carter in space against him.

You're better off having AC jam Witten on the line 1st, then sending Rock into coverage--but a play action pass still disrupts that tactic as Rock has to decide 'run or pass' before dropping back.

You better off putting C22 on Witten should he line up outside the box.

Point is, we could us an athletic linebacker with cover skills playing opposite Orakpo.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Re: McNabb and Receivers

Santana Moss is the most accomplished receiver McNabb has had in a dozen years in the league, second to Terrell Owens. When he's in rhythm he's spreading the ball around to lots of receivers anyways. If he can make guys like James Thrash, Reggie Brown, Hank Baskett and Jason Avant look like productive pro wideouts, I'm confident he can work with the likes of Moss, Galloway, Armstrong and Co. When will people understand that with McNabb, we don't need Larry Fitzgerald to have a productive passing game?

Re: VJax

Let it go. We don't need to spend a high pick and $40 million to land a headcase glorified possession receiver facing league suspension. Just. Let. It. Go.

Re: AH

Pass.

Re: 3-4 OLBs in coverage

This is one of the weaknesses of the team. We can be dinked and dunked on, but it will be an interesting game of chess. Can Haslett dial up enough successful blitzes early on to force the 'Girls to keep the TEs in to help with pass-pro? Can Garrett dial up the right plays early on to force the Skins into more coverages?

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

beantown....van hagar really? van halen amazing van hagar....well not so much.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

This thing ain't loading right today.

The RI Blog Owner must've been up all night reading through the posts it decided to hold for review.

Or something very much like that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Re- Coverage on Half-witt, Via MOE and RSH

Idon't see Flexing to Carters Side helping them all that much,

3-4 scheme here is how I cover that b@stard:

Whatever side he starts on the OLB or a DE chips to push him inside. Then you use McI or LFB to Man Cover himbest they can while using the FS's for supporting coverage.

The real key is that we need to just get our inside rush going early to force them to adjust the blocking schemes then go outside to force the re-adjust and have Halfwit stay on the line more.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 9, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

For what it's worth.

I hope Jason Campbell has a good year because, as I understand, the value of the draft pick that the Skins get in the deal will increase if he has a good year.

Do I think he will have a good year?
Not really.

Do I wish him for him on a personal level to have a bad year versus good year?
I'm not that emotionally invested in Jason Campbell's life to care one way or the other.

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't Oakland have a problem at WR? Schilens is hurt and he was their best man. We know what Heyward-Bey's problems have been. That leaves Louis Murphy and Johnnie Lee Higgins. Zach Miller's a good TE and maybe that's who Jason will be filling up this year. And McFadden out of the backfield (looks like Michael Bush is also down at the moment).

Not a group you would characterize as superior to Washington's.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 9, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2010 8:57 AM

I hear ya Red, but let's not compare what McNabb is doing with what DHall did...DHall was almost making excuses for AH's actions and trying to explain his line of thinking. All McNabb really said is that "we need him". It's one thing to show a little support for the guy, damn near co-signing his offseason of BS is another.

Hall got a bad rap not just for Vick, but because he acted like a total d-bag when he was in Atlanta. Some of it I get, some of it there's no excuse for. His stay in Oakland wasn't exactly noteworthy either. He's got a lot to prove here, and I for one hope he proves it. I think a 6 or 7 INT season and a berth in the 2010 Pro Bowl will go a long way toward improving his image here.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

lay off dhall, jeesh...dude talks to much, so do most of us...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey Haynesworth, shouldn't you be at practice right now instead of posting on here?

Posted by: monk811 | September 9, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

cl, if this were 1984, then agreed, gotta have Dave at the helm, but he's too much of a narcissist these days, tries to make the show about him...seen VHagar 4 times, and every show was fantastic....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Yup. Especially considering in that same game DHall picked off Delhomme and returned it 40 yards to the 1 to set up a Skins TD.

What I don't get is this. Let's say DHall stops Delhomme short of the marker on that tackle, and the Panthers punt. What on God's green earth makes anyone think that the Skins offense could move the ball down the field for a tie/go-ahead score? They had 198 yards of offense that game!

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

beantown....van hagar really? van halen amazing van hagar....well not so much.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I agree with greg. I dont really care for either but if I had to, I'd take Hagar.

'Dreams' is the shizzle.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 9, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Tonite's Game:

Minn. v. Nawlins

We take the Saints winning in what might just be a blowout.

Brees & Company have looked sharp all summer, and are ready for another run at the title.

The vikes may have counted on B Favre's magic just a bit too long--the 2008 jets will speak to them about that issue.

At some point, the vikes will have to address their q-back situation as T Jackson and the rookie Webb are the same guy.

The vikes have a Super Bowl ready team.

But is Favre ready to take them to the big game?

We don't think so.

We take Nawlins winning 32-17.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

beantown....van hagar really? van halen amazing van hagar....well not so much.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

'Dreams' is the shizzle.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 9, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

In ATL, Hall was a 19 year old (that's right - a teenager) flush with stardom, $$, and selections to the Pro Bowl. The kid (which is what he was) didn't handle it well.

Then he chased $$ to Oakland and has already talked about what a bad mistake that was. But I tend to give people a bit of a pass for not doing well in Oakland - that's just me.

See, you say that "he's got alot to prove here". But since he's been here he's already proven himself to be our best cover corner, and our most consistent source of turnovers in the secondary. Let's hope he continues to prove it more and more. As far as image goes, I don;t know. He was at OTAs, he's been practicing, he's shown up in preseason, he runs a charity, we've never heard a peep of discontentment from teammates/coaches about having a bad attitude. But whateves. Some folks will just never live down a bad impression/image no matter what happens.

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

What's McNabb going to say.. my WR's suck? Notice he switched right away to give his biggest praise to his TE's. What does that tell you? Skins have a load of questions on offense.. maybe it all comes together this year but my guess it will probably be after McNabb has moved on.

Posted by: sovine08 | September 9, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only Redskins fan that could care less what JC does? He didn't do anything here that's all that matters. It was time to move on so how about WE move on too?

All I know is Aaron Rodgers was selected right before JC. That breaks my heart daily that the Skins almost had him.

Posted by: Mike4169 | September 9, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

So let McNabb take the weight of this team on his shoulders.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

More importantly, we need a QB that can make plays- Campbell didn't make plays for us. When pressured, he always came up short, with few exceptions.

He was a tough, hard-nosed, player who wore the Burgundy and Gold and, to boot, a good man. For that, he has my respect. Beyond that, he's a mediocre QB.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 9, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

So let McNabb take the weight of this team on his shoulders.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 9, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I tend to disagree on Vikes-Saints. Favre knows if he can win this one, he can make the Super Bowl. I expect their best punch after over 7 months of that lingering choke job. Rice or not, I think that they will move the ball consistently as they did in January. If Favre can avoid costly late turnovers, I think they sneak out with a win. Either way I expect a close game. Their D is good enough to keep them in it, and AP is still the best pure runner in the league, apologies to CJ.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 9, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

You guys crack me up. I just skim the articles so I can read how fuq'd up you guys are. lol The rec'rs sucked, the OL sucked, the run game sucked, the revolving coaching staff sucked. It shouldn't be any wonder the QB struggled. Campbell's release is a bit methodical. When misplaced, his throws are usually high. That's a problem when you're tallest rec'r is 5'1" and 56 yrs old. Holy sh!+. He may not be dynamic, but put some semblance of a team around him and QB will be the least of the worries.

I too would prefer the 'skins to stop at a 4th & 5th draft pick package for Vincent Jackson, although we really need a player of his caliber. I've followed this development on a Charger board and AJ Smith is as maniacal as they come. As someone has already noted, they've treated VJ like a plate of dogsh!+, but now that he's had enough, well, they gotta have multiple high draft picks for him. If Washington's 5th rd pick coupled with whatever Tennessee will pitch in for Haynesworth isn't enough, then just wait for Jackson. I think he'll be available next year, we can get him then!

I heard early on that defensively they wanted to channel Landry's aggressiveness, meaning he's going to be roaming around the LOS.

Posted by: markrc99 | September 9, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

McNabb is excited about the WRs. Custer was excited about the Little Big Horn.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | September 9, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I do not know Donovan very well. I have noticed that he seems to want to be friends with players and overrates those that he likes. Owens, Haynesworth, and maybe a couple of receivers are an example. Maybe he should come in and make some plays for a while and let the coaches be the talent evaluators. He has the right, and responsibility to build up his guys, but he shouldn't be building up the guys that the coaches are not focusing, and counting on.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | September 9, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

McNabb should be excited. He's got down-field weapons in Armstrong, Moss, and Davis. Cooley and Galloway can move the chains. Devin Thomas has no expectations on him, maybe he breaks out and starts to produce consistently. There are a lot of maybe's and if's but McNabb will give those guys a chance to make plays. Campbell took no chances and didn't give his receivers the opportunity to make plays.

Posted by: coparker5 | September 9, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse