Redskins players feel for Campbell in aftermath of McNabb trade

Almost from the moment the surprising trade occurred, Redskins players have expressed overwhelming approval of the trade that brought Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Redskins for draft picks.

But many said they were conflicted because of their admiration for Campbell, who had the misfortune of being drafted into the organization at a time it lacked effective senior management. No one is more torn that young wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who has become close to Campbell.

Although Kelly is excited about the opportunity to work with McNabb "because he's obviously a great quarterback and has accomplished a lot in this league, Jason definitely has been on my mind since I heard" about the trade, Kelly said in a phone interview Tuesday. "I'm sure guys like me and Devin [Thomas] can learn a lot from Donovan, and you know a player like Donovan will help our team. But Jason did a lot to help us, too. It's just kind of tough because you want Jason to be in a good situation for himself."

Coach Mike Shanahan granted permission for Campbell's agent, Joel Segal, to explore trade opportunities for the five-year veteran, according to people with knowledge of the situation. But the Redskins apparently have not ruled out bringing back Campbell as a backup.

"Man, Jason is definitely a starter in this league," Kelly said. "I know the fans see our record last year [4-12] and the last couple of years [12-20] and they blame Jason for a lot of that, but they don't see when someone else makes a mistake that makes Jason look bad. If a guy runs a wrong route or misses a block and the play doesn't work, that's not Jason's fault.

"And Jason is a good quarterback. He's got a strong arm and there isn't a throw he can't make. I know that if he is here [this season], no team will have a better backup quarterback. It's tough. I know Jason probably wants to start and he should be a starter somewhere. But you never know what can happen in this league, so having him here could be good for us. But that probably not the best thing for him so ... it's just tough."

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Jason Reid  |  April 6, 2010; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb , Jason Reid  | Tags: NFL, sport
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Campbell will work out away from Redskins Park
Next: Will McNabb, Redskins get to the playoffs?

Comments

Yeah, I hadn't really considered the fact that Campbell had been taking Kelly and Thomas under his wing. Thomas would not have emerged last year had it not been for Campbell spending so much time with him. It would have been easy for Campbell to work mostly with Moss and Cooley, two guys who are established and are known quantities, but he took it upon himself to spend as much time as possible working with the young guys, trying to get them to the point where they would be able to contribute to the team.
I don't think he'll stick around as our backup. But if McNabb only ends up being under contract for the next, say, three years, Campbell would be good to keep around. McNabb is only going to start around 14 games a season, it would be good to have Campbell (instead of Grossman) as the guy who starts those other two. And when McNabb retires, maybe we could hand the reins over to Campbell again. I doubt that Campbell wants that and I doubt that Shanahan wants that though.

Posted by: kseandoyle | April 6, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Priceless...maybe if you scrubs had worked on running the proper routes, it might not have come to this.

Posted by: McMetal | April 6, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan, you said you like raising a QB, raise JC. Raising John Elway and Donavan McNabb is not raising a QB, they are both accomplished stars, show your worth, raise JC, unless your raising a QB mantra is a bunch of crap!

Posted by: abxinc | April 6, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"Moreover, Campbell, among the league's most cooperative quarterbacks with the media, has told friends he does not plan to grant interviews until after his situation is resolved..."

Who can blame him for not wanting to talk to the media?

Campbell is reacting like Charlie Brown did after Lucy swiped the ball he was about to kick.

Thing is, you have to wonder if he can prosper somewhere in the right system.

Other than that, these are my last words:

Jason Campbell was a good, but not great redskin quarterback.

He was better than Shuler and Ramsey, not not as good as Williams or Rypien or Theisman.

He's in the forgetable league of the ordinary types like S Matthews, Gus Ferotte, J Schoerder, J George, T Green, J Hostetler, R Gannon, M Brunnell, and T Banks.

He'll be remembered as the Auburn tackling dummy, the pleasant Southerner who never complained in the face of poor blocking, front office rudeness, and constant scheme change.

But he'll never be remembered as a great redskin quarterback.

In fact, if McNabb succeeds, he won't be remembered at all.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 6, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I truly believe that Grossman was brought in to help convey Shanahan's offense, kinda like they did with Todd Collins, to teach Saunder's offense when he came in. He was in it last year and knows it.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I feel for him too....it just feels wrong. All JC ever did was whatever was asked of him and then some...all he did was get better every year. When you do all the things you're supposed to do, you're supposed to be rewarded for that, not treated like Jason's been. I truly hope he gets another starting job somewhere and I wish him success. In a town where Clinton Portis and Albert Haynesworth get lots of attention for acting like 10 year olds, JC stands out as someone who genuinely seems like a good guy.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | April 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Man, did Gibbs nail this guys character, or what?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 6, 2010 10:01 AM
-----------
yep.. which whiny one.. "I dont want to compete character if McNabb is working out at Redskins Park"? or "trade me if you even think about drafting Sanchez character like last year"?
Gibbs knew he made a mistake after 3 years of JC not having a clue about the playbook or even studying it, for that matter.
Gibbs was the happiest Head Coach I have ever seen in a farewell press conference.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Fredie, I don't know about you but I couldn't care less about winning now if it's at the expense of winning BIG later. I mean, this is a 8 or 9 win team at best, even if they land Okung at LT. I'd rather lose 3 more games this year if it'll preserve picks and win us more games down the road. As it stands now, we've got a franchise QB with a history of injury and no O-line to keep him upright. This team ain't a contender this year and I'd rather them build up a PERENNIAL contender instead of pushing all the chips to the middle of the table to win-or-be-damned in one year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 6, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse
I agree, brownie, if this is a one-year shot at winning. But to be a perennial winner, you have to win first. Then back it up with more winning seasons. And there have been many quick turn-arounds from one year to the next. We aren't there yet, we still need a few more pieces, but we are closer than we were. We have a lot of good players, we just didn't have the leadership to win. Well, MS and DMN know how to win.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 6, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Kseandoyle,

I express those comments exactly. Yon never know how things work themselves out eventually.

I know at Redskin park they are willing to make the trade and depart with Campbell and it probably wouldn't be a good fit for Campbell to move to a backup roll.

However, all of that being the case, you never know how things work out and if Jason stays via some odd quirk of fate, it could be hugely beneficial to have both of them guys together for the foreseeable future.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 6, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Jason. The Redskins have shown an utter lack of class when it comes to the way they've treated this man.

He deserves better and I hope he finds it. I'll always be Jason's fan just because of the way he's handled himself. When you move on, show the Redskins what they lost!

It's really hard to be a fan when they pull this kinda crap!

Posted by: kathystephens | April 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

love the laundry, not the players wearing it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 6, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

If I was getting paid millions of dollars to be a starting quarterback and had a crappy record....I would be quiet and not make a scene either in the hopes that the checks keep coming.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 6, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

The dude is gone and you're still up on your Campbell hate mongering...

When did Campbell say that if McNabb was going to be at the park that he didn't want t be there either?

Do you actually blame Campbell for wanting to get traded if the team drafted a rookie QB they probably had intentions on starting?

And just how do you know that Campbell didn't bother to look at the playbook?

You're at about an 8.5 on the "Dumb-As-Sh*t" meter with these claims.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 6, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

It's too much pity going on for a Football team!!!!!!!

It's too much going on for some Football players making alot of $$$ to be crying this way.

One of my friends was shot last week and some of her friends were kilt in that SouthEast Shooting. No, that is something to cry about......

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 6, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

JC is reacting the way he plays when the team is behind.. gutless.

Any other QB who is a true competitor at the NFL level would say...."screw you Skins.. So you traded for McNabb, I can beat him out and prove you wrong. Watch me this preseason.. And I'll beat him because I am better".
But not Jason, he wants to run and hide.. he is what he has been the last 5 years.. gutless non-competitor and non-leader. He had the starting position handed to him by Gibbs and never had to compete..

And he was talking to Shanny about not wanting to work out at Redskins park while the Skins are saying at the same time, that he may be retained! Which only reinforces what Shanny probably thought of him.. the same thing.. JC is not willing or afraid to step up and compete against McNabb. He is not a competitive player...no wonder he never crafted a "come from behind" win.

see ya JC..dont let the door hit you and your fragile ego on the way out..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

This is a tough loss for Campbell. He was a good player for the Redskins operating under insane conditions for much of his career. But you can't really argue with getting a future HOF QB for a 2nd round pick + a future mid-rounder.

For Campbell's sake, I hope his agent works out a deal with Carolina. That's a stable franchise that knows how to "raise" a complete team.

I look forward to saying "I told you so" when Campbell excels oustide of DC.

I'm just happy it was at the expense of a pro-bowl QB rather than a 1st round, $70 million bust.

Posted by: psps23 | April 6, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Diesel44, still waiting for that kickoff time this Sunday.
Any info on that is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Posted by: RedDMV | April 6, 2010 10:29 AM

Still with the same tired smack.

Since you brought it up..

5 months from now just like every other team. Unfortunately do to the incompetence of the previous regime we already have a roster less desirable than our entire division. The roster is not a finished product so we will still have the rest of the dregs of UFA, currently 4 draft picks, potential cuts, and undrafted free agents to fill our multiple needs. So anything is possible as what was demonstrated by their bold move on Sunday.

So Red…Buy a calendar and try one of these other lame generic statements..

You're not a GM, let them do what they do.
You’re a hater, there are 31 other teams.
I love how bloggers are so busy with their own agenda, they can’t see the logic in others.
Or your standby…if you don’t agree with me...Puck you and your mom.

C’mon Man..You expect everyone to welcome a 33 yr old McNabb (even though he is an upgrade) from the Eagles for 2 picks considering I have rooted against this guy for 11 years with open arms. He’s an Eagle, just like Bruce Smith was Bill, and Jason Taylor was a Dolphin. This is a short-term move when we need to be building a team so that we have a consistent winner. We’ve had the same one player away strategy since Snyder bought the team. This move for McNabb is the exact opposite approach that they have shown since the first day of FA. If they were loading up for bear then they should have been more aggressive and gone after the 5-8 players that were actually decent UFAs (Dansby, Rolle, etc..)

We now have a 3 year window with McNabb at the helm…Let’s wait and see but also win now.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 6, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

poll poll

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 6, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

When did looking for a better situation indicate character flaws? Was it before or after McNabb voted for the Skins over Oak & Buf? Or am I not allowed to apply logic to the situation?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 6, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

AMEN

Posted by: westjr88 | April 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

The dude is gone and you're still up on your Campbell hate mongering...

And just how do you know that Campbell didn't bother to look at the playbook?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 6, 2010 11:08 AM
==============
Gibbs said JC was not prepared and Saunders had to considerably simplify the playbook during JC's 3rd year, 2007!!
And Zorn had to do the same thing both years.
And if this is "hate mongering" what do you call Shanny who has brought in competition for JC? Also a Hater? I dont hate JC.. But, I hate to see VERY well paid players that are afraid to compete.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

It's really hard to be a fan when they pull this kinda crap!

Posted by: kathystephens | April 6, 2010 11:03 AM

Yeah,
Drafting JC with a first round pick, making him a rich man, making him the starter and giving him every chance to be your franchise player. He's truly a victim and you, Kathy, have been a party to it all. How can you sleep at night?

Posted by: MColeman51 | April 6, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM,

I like Campbell. I really think he can step up to the next level. He hasn't though.

That is why I cannot disagree with what you have said about Campbell at all.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 6, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Man, did Gibbs nail this guys character, or what?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 6, 2010 10:01 AM
-----------

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow... how is it whiny for he and Shannahan to agree for him not to work out at Redskins Park? JC, love him or loathe him, has shown class. He had the third-weakest (if not the weakest) Oline, a subpar receiving corp, one of the worst management groups in professional sports, and a struggling running game. He did not throw his Oline or running game under the bus. He did not throw his coaches under the bus. He did not throw management under the bus. If anything, he has whined one time.

Posted by: moosepod | April 6, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 6, 2010 11:11 AM
==========
good eff'n post... bettet he pouts over McNabb than an expensive question mark.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

see ya JC..dont let the door hit you and your fragile ego on the way out..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 11:09 AM |

Its easy to distinguish a human with emotion and an animal in human skin simply by their threads!

Posted by: abxinc | April 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

The Mcnabb trade is the best thing that could've happened to JC....he deserves to go somewhere else and get a fresh start and see if he has what it takes to be an elite QB in this league. For all that he has been through with this orginization..its time to let go and move on. It will be interesting to see if JC was a hit or miss. Sometime next year..we'll be saying one of two things...."Damn!!! Skins should've kept JC...or "I told you he was not a starter in this league"!!

Posted by: chicoexcell | April 6, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

For at least one time, on the field after being sacked, at least one time, I was hoping that Campbell showed some spunk after being sacked.

He never did, not even one time. He never even cursed at his lineman not even one time where the Fans knew he was getting in there shatzes, not even one time.

I am a Campbell man but in order to step to the next level as a QB you have to show your competitive spirit on the field.

Campbell refuses to take it personal. He just dosen't. To be a better that average QB, you got to take it personal and more importantly you have to show that you have when time arises.

Campbell has taken to next step and met the challenge that is why he is still a average QB with huge skills.

That is why SkinsneedaGM is correct on this one.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 6, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM, I look forward to your posts after McNabb has played a few games behind our non-line.

I have a feeling we'll get a good look at a few QBs behind this junior varsity O-line, because McNabb will not make it through half the year unless he chucks it in the upper deck every third play like Mark Brunell used to do.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 6, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

JC is reacting the way he plays when the team is behind.. gutless.

see ya JC..dont let the door hit you and your fragile ego on the way out..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 11:09 AM

You seem to think being an NFL millionaire means you no longer have human feelings. Was Jason a great QB in Washington? No. But he certainly wasn't terrible. All his coaches and team mates praised him for his work ethic and the way he conducts himself on and off the field. That's why his feelings are hurt. He did everything that was asked of him and was shown no appreciation for it. I do hope this experience wisws him up to the business side of the NFL and that he takes it out on the Redskins if given a chance like I hop Mc Nabb takes it out on Philly twice a year. Their situations kind of resemble one another. Of course, the huge difference is McNabb went to 5 NFC title games in 10 years as the full time starter (albeit it with a much more stable organization.)

Posted by: largetony86 | April 6, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Okung is on that level.

Posted by: psps23 | April 6, 2010 10:10 AM

So is Trent Williams.....who will be our selection @ #4....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 6, 2010 10:26 AM

... but only because Okung will be a Lion. If Okung is there, and/or no one wants to trade up to the Skins #4, I agree that it will be (and should be) Trent Williams.

The strategery/priority should be:

1. Find a trade partner, move down, recover a pick in the second or third round
2. Bradford if available
3. Okung if available
4. Trent Williams
5. Ham sandwich

Posted by: dcsween | April 6, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

It's too much pity going on for a Football team!!!!!!!

One of my friends was shot last week and some of her friends were killed in that SouthEast Shooting. Now, that is something to cry about ...

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 6, 2010 11:08 AM

Yet neither Wilbon nor Whitlock care enough to write about the shooting in Southeast ...

Posted by: dcsween | April 6, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

....or maybe JC feels like a huge weight has been taken off him; he's too much of a gentleman to ever tell.
He may end up as a backup, but I'll wager he sees the playoffs before the Skins do.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | April 6, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Why does Campbell's agent have to work out a trade. He has a contract. They have to pay him $3 million next year unless somebody offers them a trade. Don't do a thing. Show up at training camp. Keep your mouth shut (which is not a problem). Take the money and let Donovan take the hits. At first I thought it would be stupid for him to be the third string QB, but I changed my mind. When (and I do mean when) Donovan gets hurt, let Grossman take the second turn at taking those hits. Jason will last the season and get paid like a starter to sit on the bench and possibly carry the clip board. Don't bother going to one of those sorry teams to be the starter because it will be more crash dummy duty. Learn from Donovan how to be a great QB. Learn from Haynesworth how to be overpaid while under playing.

Posted by: Carole5520 | April 6, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: largetony86 | April 6, 2010 11:37 A

When JC is finally gone, will all of his overly-emotional appologists go with him? No appreciation...the millions of dollars JC made here don't count? Are you seriously going to argue he wasn't given a chance to be the man here? We all hoped he would take the opportunity and run with it. He couldn't...or didn't. Extenuating circumstances (and excuses) aside...it's that simple. Now a new FO...with a track record of success and their own reputations and careers on the line, don't believe in him and don't want to risk it. If that's too much for Jason to deal with...he picked the wrong industry to make his career in. It's lucrative...but cut-throat, competitive, and results-oriented. Like the guy and hope he finds success at the next stop? Sure, he seems like a great young man. Wring my hands over his fate here? Get real.

Posted by: MColeman51 | April 6, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Carole5520 | April 6, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Campbell may still be the best QB the skins have but that doesn't say much. He never had a good line in front of him and I am not convinced he can get rid of the ball early enough to be a good NFL QB?

McNabb is not the answer and only draggs the team into more prolonged agony with an over the hill, QB. I say keep Campbell unless he can be traded for a good young offensive lineman or draft pick.

Posted by: sbf845 | April 6, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

i dont see why the skins dont keep campbell as a backup. im surprised people are ready to live with grossman taking over midseason when mcnabb inevitably gets hurt. why not have campbell backing him up?

Posted by: ryjufox3 | April 6, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM

Easy for some fat slob on a web blog to critique an professional athlete. But thats what the web blog is for, people who cant play anything but want to matter.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 6, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

sbf845

You dont throw for over 3500 yards if you cant get rid of the ball. Bernie Kosar had a slow delivery too. Would you not consider him a quality NFL QB? Also you have guys who can get rid of it quickly but dont make sound decisions. Joey Harrington and David Carr had faster releases.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 6, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD

Knowing our O line and Donovan's health issues over the last few seasons I would keep JC until next year. If McNabb goes down and is out for several games like he has been a couple of resent seasons who do you want coming in for him JC or Rex Grossman? McNabb has only played a full season once in the last three.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 6, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM

Like I said, easy for some fat slob on a web blog to talk about a profession QB's lack of heart. Did he do your wife or something?

Posted by: ged0386 | April 6, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Campbell not to worry, we all know when up get from under Synder greedy hands you will flyy. The only thing Synder wants to do is fill the seats and up the rate, there is no I in TEAM in DC. The hell with Synder and Campbell best to hold that head high...oh yeah hopefully McNabb likes will bring us a Ring or LOL finally get him one!!

Posted by: shadon1 | April 6, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Personally its hard to pass up McNabb for the a couple picks, but the issue I have with the organization is, JC was the starter at the end of the season, he's delt with the organizations BS for years, Shanahan's response to the question of McNabb being the started should have been "He'll have to beat our current starter out" JC has no reason to stay and compete, the organization gave up on him last year this time. So people please stop calling the guy gutless, if he competed for the starting job and he blew McNabb out the water, the organization will still start McNabb when the season starts. Jason deserves a better opportunity than what the Redskins have offered. I know its business but its hard for me to support the Skins.

Posted by: hoopsdavis | April 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Why do so many people seem to take it so personally when the team or a certain player doesn't play well? What did Jason Campbell owe you specifically as a fan? Its as if JC not leading the team to the playoffs consistently somehow effected you personally! We would all love for the team to be a winner every year, but keep it in perspective. Its just wrong to trash JC for the things he had little or no control over, yet not praise him for the things he had total control over. How many elite, or even very good QBs are there in the league at any given time? Maybe a handful? Its when physical talent, smarts, and leadership come together in one package that you get a great QB. JC handled himself as a man the right way, he worked his butt off to try to get better, things he could control, yet he gets trashed for what he may not have the tools to be! Now he wants to go somewhere and play, and earn his money, and he gets trashed. You trash him for being the starting Qb, then trash him for wanting to go somewhere where he can start! You can't have it both ways! The fact that JC is respected by almost everybody at Redskins Park should tell you everything you need to know. Whether he is a great QB or not isn't a right or wrong issue, stop treating it as such!!

Posted by: jwat2410 | April 6, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

im sorry SkinsneedaGM but ur an idoit Campbell should have started early under Gibbs instead of sitting waiting for brunell 2nd Campbell might be one of the smartest qb in the league with all the change in offense schemes and game planning . His struggles where a team struggle. DOnt question if a QB is dump or not when u basically have no clue what a playbook or how tiring it could be going thru playbook after playbook with no one coach.

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | April 6, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I dont like the way Redskins treated JC. Its one thing trading for McNabb but another thing to automatically give him the starting position without him having to compete for it. Jason deserves more respect then that, considering that he spent his first two years on the sideline before becoming a starter, with an offensive line that sucked Donovan McNabb is an injury proned campbell soup sipper. Wish he had stayed in Philly. Whatever. JC is going to end up going to another team, be a successful starter, probably win a superbowl in two years, and Redskins will look like idiots for letting him get away. JC, I will always be a fan wherever you go. The hell to the redskins!

Posted by: optimistic1 | April 6, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Washington should have focused on getting some decent running backs and improving their pi$$ poor ofensive line. Jason Campbell is lucky to get away from that sorry organization.

Posted by: bdaniels48 | April 7, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I would bet Jason Campbell is more mobile than this pro bowl QB and Jason Campbell got sacked 42 times. The pro bowl QB won't get sacked that many times because he won't last enough games. He will be standing on the sidelines watching the backup play. Jason Campbell is probably celebrating the opportunity to leave the organization and the idiots running it.

Posted by: bdaniels48 | April 7, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are idiots. I am far from partial I am an Auburn grad and watched Campbell four years at AU and he went through much of the same thing with a great amount of criticism much of it not deserved.

Thing is he is a high character guy has good skills and can win. Physically he looks like an NFL QB. Thing is the Redskins offensive play calling never utilizes his abilities. Last season all he did was dump offs and five yard outs and passes to the tight end and Cooley nothing down field. F The Skins. They refused to take the training wheels off. Hard to get a read on his NFL ability when he is so limited by horrible play calling. He throws a great deep ball you would never know.

I mean I am not sure what the total is now but at one point he had six different offensive coordinators in six seasons of football after his first two years in Washington. Lets see all the keyboard jockey's on here learn all those playbooks especially the mensa who said he does not study that is stupid.

Good guy deserves better hope the Skins trade him to a team that will appreciate and allow him to use his ability. Oh Good luck with Mcnabb. Rush was right this guy is overrated. He wont ever win crap.

Posted by: AUgrad00 | April 7, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse