Redskins to introduce McNabb at noon Tuesday

Quarterback Donovan McNabb will be formally introduced as a Washington Redskin on Tuesday at noon.

The team announced the news conference in a release late this morning. According to the release, McNabb will be introduced by Coach Mike Shanahan at Redskins Park.

By Rick Maese  |  April 5, 2010; 11:37 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan, Jason Campbell to meet Monday afternoon
Next: With McNabb trade, Redskins signal that future is now

Comments

I am ALL for this. But I'm gonna be pretty bummed if the 'skins trade Chris Cooley.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 5, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for JC17 to go gangsta. 2 years in a row he's been dogged by an FO that basically thinks he doesn't cut it. If he has any self-respect he's going to issue a statement that says something like:

"Yeah, I met with Shanny. I flipped him the bird and told him to trade me immediately. Then kicked over his trashcan as I left the room. If I see Dan Snyder I'm gonna show him the back of my hand."

Posted by: p1funk

or he could continue using his best attribute, Class, and be civil through the whole business side of the sport.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Will his moms be there?

Posted by: Predator48 | April 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

***** REPOST *****

The only way I see the redskins building up through the draft now is by swindling picks from an old man (e.g. Al Davis, Ralph Wilson). Someone round up some Ovaltine and those butterscotch candies, we have an off-season title to defend.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 5, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 5, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Suh, is not a playmaker. HE is a faboulous Run Stuffer, but that's it at this point in his carreer.

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

You throw enough shat against the wall and something is bound to stick.

Now the McNabb pull was a farm's worth but let's not get carried away.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 5, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

She'll be in the cafeteria making him Campbells soup, idiot.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | April 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Repost

So to those who think that this trade automatically makes us a playoff contending team, a superbowl contending team, can you explain that to me? I am at a loss at how this takes our 4-12 team and makes it a 10-6, 11-5 team. I understand Shanny is a better coach than Zorn, and Mcnabb is a better Qb than Campbell... but we still have Heyer as our right tackle, we do not have a LT, we have BMW as our starting RG and a backup from the vikings as his competition... we still have Landry as our FS (unless by some miracle we find a FS to replace him), we still have Carlos Rogers and DHall as our top corners, and we still have 3 linebackers playing out of position in the new 3-4 (Fletcher will be eaten up in the middle of a 3-4, Rocky is not meant to play inside, and Andre Carter has already proven he cannot play outside linebacker in a 3-4)... even if we do have a hybrid our 3-4 talent is lacking.... We have a wr core lacking a true #1 threat, with 2 young wrs who have proven to be inconsistent and a 5-8 speedster who has lost a step and has proven an inability to catch the ball consistently... and best of all we have 3 RBS who were pro bowl players in 2006 but have fallen off the map... seems like we are not just 1 QB away from competeing...

This trade is typical Redskin football. We were not the offseason champs... we had lost our offseason trophy and had to retake it... This trade is meant for a team that is 2 players away... not an entire team away.

Mcnabb obviously makes us a better team but again we are going to be stuck in that 8-8, 9-7 position in which we are never great, but not 4-12 bad... I for one am tired of this and would like to see a different philosophy. I would like to blow up the roster, suck for 2-3 years and completely rebuild... Pull a Capitals... completely retool and try again. This whole mediocre cra% is getting to me and i can't take it...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Then tell me why McCoy rates higher in most 'experts' Best Available? Including the stars of Mocks, Mayock, Kiper, and McShay??

And I agree with you if Suh will be available at #4, there were be alot of teams looking to get him....And that team will be our trade partner.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

That still doesn't mean he's not a playmaker. By saying that, you're completely mislabeling a player that made big plays throughout his career. I don't care what the "experts" say. I'll wait to the actual NFL guys draft, to see what they think, not a bunch of pencil neck geeks. "Not a playmaker" sounds ridiculous.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 5, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

**repost***

McNabb is closer in comparison to JC17 than to Drew Brees.

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I could see your side on a few thoughts but then you had to go and do this?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 5, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

You are the one who rolled out that stats and wanted to play the numbers game and tried to draw a comparison to Drew brees.

I was simply responding to you.

If you want to play the numbers game then McNabb's TD/INT ratio is closer to JC17 than to Brees. That's all.

JREID, CAN YOU CHILL OUT ON ALL THE NEW STUPID BEEPS AND GIVE THE HAMSTERS A LITTLE BIT OF TIME TO HAVE SOME UNINTERRUPTED DISCUSSION...sheesh...

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"It's believed McNabb was en route from his Arizona home to the Washington area Monday."

Here's a tip, JReid. IF you want McNabb's personal itinerary, just hit up his new admin assistant and personal jock-strap carrier Washed-Up-Wilbon.

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

McNabb looked terrible when he faced continuous pressure last year. Much like JC17.

Unfortunately, it looks like he (or whomever the QB is) will face continuous pressure this year.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

You and about 75% of the fanbase.

I wouldn't be jumping for joy, but I wouldn't hang myself either.

I think Fred Davis is going to be a player in the league.

I see Davis more in the Gates and Gonzalez mold. Cooley is more close to the 'Wittens' and 'Shockeys'. And I hate to break it to you, but Cooley isn't as athletic as either Witten or Shockey.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Why not trade Haynesworth, Carter, Campbell, our 1st pick this year, and a 2nd rounder next year in exchange to move up to the top spot this year and the Rams' 2nd rounder this year?

Why not trade Haynesworth and our 1st rounder to Detroit for their 1st rounder so we don't have to lose out on Okung?

Why not offer our 4th round pick this year and next year's 2nd rounder for Jared Gaither?

Why not bring in Levi Jones or Flozzell Adams to stop-gap the RT position until next draft?

Why am I not a GM? This is why. Because I dream too much and don't live in reality.

Please, Redskins, draft O-LINE this year!!!

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 5, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to DC DMcNabb.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 5, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

I'd like to see him go out "Coming To America" style where he looks hard at Shanahan, Cerrato, and Snyder in the room and says "F@ck you, F@ck you, and F@ck you! Whos next!"

Posted by: Predator48 | April 5, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Yes. All that class has gotten him real far as a pro football player.

I was being a bit sarcastic (obviously), but it'd be nice to see JC have some stones to stand up for himself. It's kind of consistent with the knock on him - he's too passive, too go-with-the-flow, won't stand up and take control.

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

meant to say Shanahan, Allen, and Snyder

Posted by: Predator48 | April 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

McNubb is a serious upgrade over JC - McNubb gets style points for the way he throws the ball into the turf; he misses more open receivers than Campbell when not under pressure; he is less likely to run with the ball than Campbell at this stage in his career; gives us an even greater chance for bone-headed play.

And the big one - McNubb is even less likely to beat the Cowboys than McNubb.

Look on the bright side - McNubb will feel right at home with a running back with Concussion problems.

Bet Phillies' Defense can't wait to take on McNubb. Pressure makes McNubb into even a bigger Dog Pile.

Posted by: laserwizard | April 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Lots of players have had fabolous careers in college. It just doesn't always translate to the NFL.

I think Suh will be a great player for years to come (10PLUS) in the NFL. But I don't think he is a playmaker. As a DT, that doesn't merit a top 5 pick......

I know I go against the grain alot, but I trust my football accuman......No one else needs to....And again, McCoy rates higher on most everyone's draft board than Suh.

Who is leading this Suh to Lions shindig anyway?? Because they have a Defensive HEad Coach?? The GM, MArtin Mayhew will make the pick, and he knows he needs to protect the Franchise, AKA Matthew Stafford.

That's why the lions are trying to get the dude from NEW Orleans....HArgrove....for their DT position....because they plan on selecting Okung if they stay @ #2.....Sure they would want to trade back and get one of the lesser 5 STAR LTs available, but if they can't, they'll be stuck with selecting Okung....witch won't make them mad at all.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Posted by: Predator48 | April 5, 2010 11:49 AM
-----------------------------------------
The fact that he doesn't do that is why he is leaving. Campbell has always struck me as a guy with no fire, no passion and cannot lead from the huddle. Nice guy, but I would take mean and nasty over quiet and polite in this instance.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Cooley was the original Dallas Clark, but grouping TEs by black guys and white guys works too. Simple, no fuss solution

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 5, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

i totally agree with (peoplearestupid1) this is all about still trying to keep those season ticket holders in the stadium and its getting really old and tiresome!!!! We let these idiots keep trying to sell us a dream and all you delusional fans eat this crap up like candy. It really is going to be more of the same......we need a boat load of picks and if they dont make that happen than be prepared for the usual funk that has become our beloved Redskins......Good luck Jason #17

Posted by: bdarr44 | April 5, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

So we've gone from Soup to Chunky Soup.

I'm a little surprised at all the positivity here. I'm hopin' this ain't Jonestowne, 'cause everyone is drinkin' this coolaid.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4

Name a QB that had success throwing the ball under "continuous" pressure. And before you give the standard "Aaron Rodgers" or "Ben Roethlisberger" keep in mind you said "continuous".

And also let's face it: McNabb is coming into a better situation with Shanahan.

Campbell had that old nut ass bama, Jim Zorn.

So you see it's quite simple:

McNabb & Shanahan >>>>>>>>>>>>> Campbell & Zorn

And again, you do understand this is APRIL 5th and the season doesn't start until SEPTEMBER, right?

Oh and by the way, can you tell me what the Redskins did in the draft?

Oh, what's that? You can't!?!?!?!

Does it have anything to do with the fact that they haven't held the draft yet?

Why don't we wait and see what they're going to do come draft day before we declare the 2010 campaign a total loss, eh?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Where did this 'QB doesn't lose games' and 'support your QB with a run game' attitude come from? If JC was our problem, and we just got a Super Bowl caliber QB, than we should be booking tickets for wherever the Bowl is this year, right?

Fickle, fickle, crowd.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 5, 2010 11:32 AM

Huh? It comes from Andy Reid's pass first, second, sometimes third history as a HC. Shanahan knows an offense needs balance running and throwing. Now whether he can get that with the 3 old rbs on his roster and likely at least one rookie OL remains to be seen.

I wonder if AH will be traded regardless now. With the big bonus already paid would another team be interested?

Posted by: skinswest | April 5, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

well, now that it's obvious we're willing to deal Campbell, Haynesworth, and Landry. So let's see if we can get some picks to get back into this draft. I'd be happy just be done with fat al.

Posted by: pgugino | April 5, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I rolled out the stats to make the point that McNabb is not past his prime as you mentioned, and is still capable of putting up pretty good numbers.

If you look at their body of work, who do you think gives us a better chance to win, JC or DMN?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 5, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Um. Rothlisberger.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

You and about 75% of the fanbase.

I wouldn't be jumping for joy, but I wouldn't hang myself either.

I think Fred Davis is going to be a player in the league.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I love seeing him "run" down the field after a catch. lol. Dude runs like a true white boy.

I agree with you, Davis will be a playmaker, but I don't think it would be the same without Cooley.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

buh bye Jason

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld

Was I wrong in the assessment?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it ironic that #5 will be introduced on april #5 2010 as our QB?

Posted by: Veretax | April 5, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Its funny how sooooo many people in here were so happy that we weren't making a big splash this offseason. That we were being reserved and actually thinking about rebuilding the proper way. Then, all of a sudden, we make a HUGE spalsh... trade away needed picks and so many people think this is a great idea... this is the opposite of what 2/3 of you were arguing for most of the offseason, you realize that right?

I know you all HATE JC, but Mcnabb will not be much of an upgrade. He is 33 years old, is on the decline and if we do not upgrade the line he'll have the same problems as JC. Mcnabb, believe it or not, is actually worse under pressure than JC and is less mobile than JC is at this point. He is old and has proven to be injury prone... and with our awesome oline I cant imagine he'll be staying upright much.

Look, I don't disagree that Campbell had to go. I like the kid, think he could have been good, but just not for us. IT was time for a change. However, trading for a 33 year old QB is not trading for a franchise guy. A franchise QB is here for 10+ years, not 3-5 years. A franchise QB improves each year for the first 5 years or so... Mcnabbs talent instead will decrease year in and year out for the next 3.

In reality, this is no different than signing Deon, Bruce Smith, or Adam Archuleta or Brandon LLoyd, except that its at a more glamorous position, the QB position. It is not going to bring anything to Washington that we haven't already seen, an 8-8 /9-7 record and maybe 1 or 2 first round loss in the playoffs.

I mean, seriously, we are probably further away from a superbowl after this trade seeing as we have less opportunity to add young talent to a team devoid of young talent.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 5, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

If Cooley is traded, then you can bank on this team drafting Toby Gerhart. Think of all those white guys in need of a new jersey.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 5, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I can't find the link on Redskins.com

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it ironic that #5 will be introduced on april #5 2010 as our QB?

Posted by: Veretax | April 5, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Someone may want to tell this cat what the date is, he may still be at home for the weekend.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV, I admire your optimism.

I must be more jaded than you after seeing this same play a half dozen times over the past 10-15 years.

Only Gibbs II came close to making a difference.... but then that's part of the play, isn't it? Just when a little stability sets in, it's time to get back on the Merry Go Round.

No, my friend, I've seen this play enough to know how it ends.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Dallas Clark was around before Cooley....but yes they are very similar. Red I think your take on that is a wee bit over-simplified.

That said, I am for keeping both.

Posted by: chrislarry | April 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I think you mean coincidental. unless you mean like rain on your wedding day.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

4th, f 'em.

Keep throwing your bama ass predictions out there.

The ones who are actually mad (I read a comment last night that was just... whoa) are mad because they don't have either the brains or cojones to make those wacky predictions.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"We just took care of our MOST GLARING NEED."

Is that a joke?

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 5, 2010 11:17 AM

---------

Not if you believe a QB -- a field general -- in the time of war, is what you absolutely need to win the big battles.

Don't get me wrong, the all important dirty work is done in the trenches, but if Shanny and Son didn't think they needed a LEGIT QB to win then I don't think they make this move.

We stand pat with the mouth breather with the slow release.

But we made a trade, didn't we???

And we're a better football team as a result.

Didn't we?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 5, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Thank you REDSKINS gods... Dis is the upgrade at OB we need. Now, I know I preach on here to draft Bradford...and I'm still preaching..if Bradford there at 4 take him and let him sit for two yrs. Trade JC for a 2nd or 3rd in this yr draft and use all picks on OL...I"m out.

Posted by: taylormade218 | April 5, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

LAst night...G'yeah....

I was falling asleep on my 3 month old Daughter and 2 year old son....When I received a text about the McNabb trade....I woke up like I just had some 5 hour energy drink....So yeah.....I think I deserved to cuss out the general RI population.....especially since I get 'McNabbed' all the time about my funky predictions.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

We got pimped by a team from our own division. hahahahaha I can't even defend this move.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 5, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Man...

Really wasn'trying to put it out there like there is only two type of TEs, a black TE and a white TE...

OKAY, let's play a game:

Match Cooley's name with the name you think has a similar playing style/ability.

Gonzlaez
Witten
Gates
Clark

And don't even try to play (kid) yourselves about it either....

Or ask yourselves this:

Since this is a Shanahan offense, who would you rather have, Brent Jones or Shannon Sharpe?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan, Jason Campbell to meet Monday afternoon

By Jason Reid and Rick Maese | April 5, 2010; 11:24 AM ET

"And, Jason, be sure to bring your playbook to the meeting."

In the business world, this is called an exit interview. "What were the factors you liked the most here? What would have made you more productive? Any suggestions for how we can improve our operations?"

At least those are the sorts of questions I asked when I had to let people go. Diesel44 might have a different perspective -- he usually does. Hey, '44, what questions were you asked when you were fired?

Posted by: League-Source | April 5, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

McNabb should feel right at home with our wr's. Thomas = Freddie Mitchel, Kelly = Hank Baskett, and Moss = Kevin Curtis. Shanny better make a move to get Brandon Marshall to give his legit QB a legit WR.

Posted by: coparker5 | April 5, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

BTW.. I love how Redskins.com already has a link to pre-order your McNabb jersey. Capitalism at its best.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 5, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry - for all this Chunky love espoused right now, I didn't hear ANYONE pining for McNubbin when tha Iggles were initially shopping him around.

I don't see where this makes any sense. It's a gamble. And a risky one at that. I can see high risk gambling on someone you have a chance to develop. Here your gambling with the downside of a commodity. Even if it pays off, you're not going to get much.

It won't surprise me if they go QB w/ #4. It will disappoint me, but it won't surprise me.

Maybe it's the lure of the phat checkbook that throws these coarches & GMs off their thrift. This all seems so 'cart before the horse' to me.

I wish I was drinking.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk
############################################
Have to admit, that was funny p1funk.
Humorous post of the day thus far.
Good day!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 5, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

No, my friend, I've seen this play enough to know how it ends.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 5, 2010 12:11 PM

---------

When have you seen the Redskins make a trade for a pro-bowl caliber QB?

Do I need to rattle off a list of all the stinkers that have come out of the draft as "can't lose prospects?"

I'll name one -- Alex Smith.

I'll name another -- Akili Smith.

One more -- Ryan Leaf

Last one -- Heath Shuler.

McNabb is a proven commodity.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 5, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'll Kid & Play w/ RedD on this one:

Gates - strong to position and picks a hole well. More H-Back style.

Clark is a big receiver. And Witten is a poor blocking, but true tight end. Gonzalez is a power forward.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Cue Tracy Jordan: "Black tight ends catch the ball like this, but white tight ends catch the ball like this."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 5, 2010 12:09 PM |

No one wants to read a book and that is why most of your post are not read, say what you have to say only do it shorter.

Losing a 2nd rounder for a very good QB is not the end of the world can you tell me for sure that that 2nd rounder would be good.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Folks,
Was just thinking since our OL is weak, might Shanny choose to go w/ a 2 TE set of Davis and Cooley. This would provide a bit more beef up front than another WR.

Yea, I know they have not been great blockers.
But I'm sure you'd agree Shanny is going to demand they become better blockers.
What do you think?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

St. Pete Tims is reporting that Okung is visiting the 'skins today. Haven't seen anything on WP about it. Understand given the other story to cover though

Posted by: dbuggs | April 5, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember folks writing off Kurt Warner after his career in St. Louis.

He had more then a few good years left in.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Offseason champions again? Offseason champions again.

Daniel Snyder can bring in a new regime. The owner can say he's ceding authority in football decisions to Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen like never before. But the delusion ultimately continues.

They still are in the business of selling hope more than harsh truth, hyperbole more than reality.

The Redskins still want their gullible congregation to believe they're one player away from NFL nirvana, and a 33-year-old, 11-year veteran given up by a team in their own division is that player."--MIKE WISE--Washington POST

Could not have said it better myself.

Snyder must be DROOLING over how many jerseys McNabb will sell.

Betcha they're hyped on redskins.Com very soon, if not already.

Posted by: TheCork | April 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 5, 2010 12:10 PM

You mean the Riggins/Allstott-like guy?

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5

Arguably one of the dumbest post today.

Santana Moss = Kevin Curtis???

You know, freebasing? It ain't all good.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think that the Patriots would part with 2 of their 3 second-round picks for Haynesworth and our 4th?

Just saying...

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 5, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa

Oh hell, I should have read the Blog or checked Redskins.Com first.

OF COURSE they are for sale already. Remember, Snyder is in the profit business. To paraphrase "V". "We are of Profit, ALWAYS."

Whoever said The Who said it best, said it best:

"Meet the New Boss, same as the Old Boss."

Posted by: TheCork | April 5, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Do I think we desparately needed that pick to be spent on a lineman. Yes. I don't believe I'm alone there.

Do I think the 37th pick for a lineman was worth more, potentially, in the long run for this team than an aging, played out QB? Absolutely.

Will I be eating crow come mis-season? Let's hope so.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

We were never going to spend both of our top two picks on O-linemen, as many on this blog were advocating. One of them (or both, if in a trade to move up for Bradford) were going to be spent on a QB. At least, this way we get a proven commodity instead of a guy who, history shows, is as likely as not to crap out.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Meant to throw Landry in that hypothetical

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Cork - The Redskins have been doing this waaaaay before Snyder...And YOU should know this being so much older than most of us...

George Allen invented the Redskins Way, and Lombardi brought the Redskins back to relevance prior to him with former Eagles QB Sonny J.

History is key to moving forward.

Again...How can you qoute someone who is admittingly in the tank for someone they perceive, 'a nice guy'??? HE me be a nice guy, but they are not in the nice guy business.

If I was looking for a trustee for my church, Jason Campbell would be a #1 overall pick....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Snyder and Shanny and Son knew the Redskins needed instant relief.

This rebuilding process is going to be painful.

The trade for McNabb will, at the very least, make it more fun to watch.

Heck we might even win a few games in our division?

I doubt giving up the #37 pick in this years draft and a 3rd rounder in 2011 will be the kiss of death for this franchise.

McNabb is CPR right now.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 5, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

There's REQUIREMENTS to being a black tight end!

You ever throw a Chi Jua Jua off the roof of the projects?

You ever get a girl pregnant when you were like... Seven?

[just so people don't think I'M coming up with these...] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrngtVuexXo

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

you all who point to jersey sales realize that the skins do not get all of the profits from jersey sales for skins players.

It is called revenue sharing. Players, despite whos jersey sells, gets 6% of that income... of any team.

so all jersey sales go into the revenue stream and the total is shared among the teams, players, nfl and reebok.

So please stop saying all snyder wants to do is sell jerseys.

if you changed that to 'seats', then you would have a better arguement.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Remind me why we need to trade Haynesworth? I can't make sense of this. People accuse him of being a malingerer, but I don't see it... he was our best D lineman last season, and while he surely could've played a few more snaps, he couldn't have been better when he was in there.

Then again, I was one of the people who was happy to have 10-12 games a season of Shawn Springs as our #1 corner, knowing he'd miss some games when we needed him. So I guess I'm a Gatorade-cup-half-full kind of fan.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

By the way...

I CANNOT believe the 'skins would trade for McNabb without a new contract already in place.

To give up a 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th next year for a one year rental on a team that has NO CHANCE of getting to the Super Bowl is beyond foolish.

Posted by: TheCork | April 5, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I am withholding my opinion on this whole thing until after getting to the end of the Jason Campbell chapter. This is like Scene One, Act Four. It doesn't make sense to me that they would pull the trigger on the McNabb move unless they already knew where Jason Campbell was going and what they were getting in return, i.e., they better already know.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

You mean the Riggins/Allstott-like guy?

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the big white g--I mean "fan favorite" from Stanford.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 5, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

When have you seen the Redskins make a trade for a pro-bowl caliber QB?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 5, 2010 12:24 PM

I agree with your comments about the risks in drafting a QB. What I'm referring to is acquiring aging stars on the downside of their careers instead of young talent on the upside.

With every coaching change, some aging star comes in and busts. That's the play I'm tired of seeing, and I have NO REASON to beleive McNabb will be any different.

Why would the Iggles readily give up their 33 year old QB for a second rounder to face them twice a year?

Jason Taylor was an All-legend player before the Skins got him too, but the years were catching up with him.

You've seen this play before too, and you know it.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

* lots of beeps *

two new posts... gotta keep up...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone in your family sleep in a medicated bed?!

Do you have any dogs that are sick.. and you don't care?

Have you ever fist-fought your pediatrician?

maan - you can't be a black tight end!

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Snyder must be DROOLING over how many jerseys McNabb will sell.

Corky, you're not really this stupid are you??

Yeah, jersey sales...the life blood of any football team....

Jersey Sales are split among all 32 NFL teams, there corkster....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 12:25 PM

Huh? He's not like Gates at all. Gates and Gonzalez are both PFs, literally and figuratively. They each transferred their college BBall skills to the gridiron. Truth be told, Cooley isn't much like any of those guys. Clark and Shockey and Gates and Gonzalez and Keith Jackson and Bubba Franks are all in the same mold. I would put Cooley in the Frank Wychek mold. He's an H-back more than a TE.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

You know, freebasing? It ain't all good.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 12:29 PM

THAT's the Red I know about ... the pre-birthday Red is back.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bdarr44 | April 5, 2010 11:57 AM
------------------------------------------
Yes, acquiring McNabb has nothing to do with the fact that McNabb has played well in a version of the West Coast Offense that Shanahan will bring to Washington. Sure, signing McNabb was all about selling more shirts because prior to the trade all of the Redskins fans were pinging the Redskins website with their hymns of adoration for McNabb. Right on the money with the comments regarding needing boat loads of draft picks because no football team was ever built any other way than through the draft. I think it is absolutely fantastic insight that Shanahan and Allen are now idiots before their team has even played a game. You really saw through their feebly disguised plan to bolster attendance at Redskins games while making the team even worse.

Man, I hope NASA is hiring. You and Peoplearestupid are a couple of rocket scientists and I am sure they would be glad to have you.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 5, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 5, 2010 12:19 PM

Just be happy we made the impossible happen. We were able to get rid of the 37th pick in this years draft and the 3rd/4th from 2011 before they became locker-room problems.

Go Butler!

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 5, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 5, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

The real gamble would have been to take a QB at 4 with the idea that he's going to be your franchise QB. And anyone who thinks that we're STILL going QB at 4 (and I'm not saying, DS, that you're one of them) after already trading 2 picks for McNabb is certifiable.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 5, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Flounder... good point I do write too much each time...

And while I agree the 2nd rounder might not be someone it is another young guy to come in and compete, who if he panned out would be here for 10 years... not 3.

Just saying trading for aging vets who are injury prone is risky. Trading for an aging QB who is injury prone is even more risky. All the while, having 4 picks a year to draft with leaves you with little young talent and forces you to rely on... you guessed... aging vets... and how has that worked out for us over the last 11 years? 2 playoff appearances? 1 playoff win? awesome.

Just saying I'm ready for a different approach.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 5, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

So please stop saying all snyder wants to do is sell jerseys.

if you changed that to 'seats', then you would have a better arguement.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

My arguement would be for both

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

In a way, same old Redskins. Get an aging veteran to try to jump start this motorcycle with one wheel. Common sense says the Eagles know McNabb is through just like the Titans knew that McNair had like one or two years left (it turned out to be really one year). The Ravens, however, were already good; we aren't and McNair was brought there as the cherry on top of the sundae. McNabb is being promoted as a lot more than that. McNabb is a real inaccurate passer and does not perform well in "BIG, BIG" games. The skins still need a line, receivers (they have some but can they do it?), & running back (if the two old timers they have don't measure up). This team is odd; it is like Snyder is still in charge (he is, BTW). Why not just trade Campbell anyway and start over with a rookie? If they stink or God forbid, if McNabb goes out, Rex Grossman is in charge and we all know what that means: "5-11, not every good," as Steve Spurrier said. Rex Grossman? Whoa, this could be ugly but Snyder will sell a lot of jerseys. Isn't that what this trade is really about? Merchandise?

Posted by: isometruman11 | April 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

100% agree

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Good article Redskin brothers and sistas.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 5, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If I were JC I would insist on a trade. This is the second year in a row they have dissed him!! I still don't think he has gotten a fair deal. Constantly changing offense schemes, and a silly putty O line. If they don't address the O line, McNabb is going to spend as much time on his back or running as JC did. As for McNabb's ability, yes he is or was an excellent QB, but I will withhold judgement until I see.

Posted by: raymondhaynesworth | April 5, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 12:35 PM

Unless they know he doesn't have much trade value. Either way I bet he's traded or released by the end of the draft if not the week.

Posted by: skinswest | April 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

BINGO...peoplearestupid1

You are dead on. Bottom feeders they are and will be until they clean house and start anew ala the Caps

Posted by: tribesman4ever | April 5, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

What would we have done today without this trade? Now we are again espousing all sorts of theories on how this helps/hurts or what comes next. Let me throw some fuel on this.
Why not in an uncapped year take a win now and win later approach.
Sign to a few front loaded 3 year contracts, Flozell Adams to plug into the left tackle spot and with McNabbs blessing sign TO for your 2nd reciever spot.

Then trade campbell for a lower round pick.
Trade the 4 for a lower first round and a lower round pick. There will be another LT in that mix.

Posted by: Hank4 | April 5, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Is everyone ASSUMING that McNabb will be the starter this fall? Perhaps he's coming to tutor JC and get his confidence up? It's a no-brainer that not a single QB in the league would be worth a darn with the o-line the skins had last year...not Manning, nor Brees nor Brady. The MOST PRESSING NEED is a friggin' o-line! I'm amazed Campbell can still spell his name after the beating he took last year.

Posted by: artie65 | April 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

We will be fine.. We got rid of our second round pick but I believe we trade down ne ways and get that second round pick back

Now we may have some draft day trades
1.Jason Campbell
2.Andre Carter
3.Carlos Rogers
4.Rocky Mac
5.Haynesworth
6.Landry

Thats the order I believe we trade the players I would of had Cooley up there but with Donovan I believe we keep Cooley and Davis..

Posted by: PardenMiSwage | April 5, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least he was cheap. The 2nd round could've gotten us a decent player - this draft is deep in linesmen on both sides of the ball - I would've rather have used that 2nd pick to build, but .....Danny hasn't made enough noise this year so why should this be a real surprise.
Too bad we couldn't find someone willing to take Haynesworth and his behemoth contract and girl-scout work ethic - now there's a REAL bummer of a signing

Posted by: whelms | April 5, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's just hope McNabb has learned the O.T. rules by now. OH NO! The rules just changed! Yikes!

Posted by: amontgomery1 | April 6, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse