Selig not thrilled with all the McNabb talk on Opening Day

Apparently, not everyone in Washington, D.C. is doing backflips today over the Donovan McNabb news. Out at Nationals Park this afternoon, baseball commissioner Bud Selig met with reporters and didn't seem too happy that a football trade in April might've stolen the spotlight from baseball's Opening Day.

Asked by Tom Boswell about McNabb, here's what Selig told reporters, according to the Post's Mark Viera:

"I don't know; it's baseball. Goodness gracious, I'm a football fan -- this is Opening Day. If you really want to know I'm going to give you a brutally honest answer. I got up at 5:30 this morning and did my daily workout. And I was watching an unnamed channel and that's all they were talking about. I turned it off, that was my reaction. My goodness gracious."

By Rick Maese  |  April 5, 2010; 5:19 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins could bring back Jason Campbell even with McNabb
Next: McNabb's agent, Fletcher N. Smith, on the trade

Comments

FIRST to say Selig should probably not be commissioner of a sport that sucks if he doesn't like being trumped by the NFL...just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 5, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Good golly, I love the offseason!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 5, 2010 5:03 PM

If it weren't for the offseason we wouldn't have no season at all.

Posted by: League-Source | April 5, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if Donovan was linked to steroid abuse, Selig would have found it easier to ignore the story.

Posted by: shanafan | April 5, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

ray

Its probably the latter they just think he won't hurt them on the skins.

But remember philly got rid of Dawkins last year and believe me he can still play. So they are not some all knowing club.

Philly has been the measuring stick in the nfc east the last 10 years but it doesn't have to be that way.

Posted by: DG28 | April 5, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Jeebus, it's baseball season already?

Posted by: 4-12 | April 5, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 5, 2010 5:20 PM

And if it hadn't been football, people would have been talking about NCAA roundball, and Duke's victory tonight. And if not that, NBA, women's basketball, college lacrosse, jai alai. No one cares about baseball, Selig.

Posted by: League-Source | April 5, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

If it weren't for the offseason we wouldn't have no season at all.

amen

preach it loud

Posted by: DG28 | April 5, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

LOLOLOLOL hahaahahahaha Selig you are an azzzzz haaaaaaattttttt.

Bwaahahahahahahaha.

Fix your sport, doofus.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 5, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Why is Levi jones not resigned...i thought he played fairly well last season under the circumstances

Posted by: leevi98 | April 5, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse
My understanding is that Skins offered Levi Jones a one year contract, and he wanted to two year contract, and chose to search for a better contract offer. As far as I know, the one year contract is still on the table.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 5, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, baseball is boring and not relevant anymore. Get over it Selig.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 5, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Thats funny lol...he was at the Nationals game and decided to go up to the booth to talk with the game callers. He said "baseball has never been no popular"

Posted by: ATLredskin | April 5, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

leevi98- I would like to agree with you. And I like your optimism. But 11 years of the same old Snyder makes it impossible for me to be optimistic. Impossible for me to see any light at the end of the tunnel, especially when we make short-sighted decisions like trading for a 33 year old QB when we have a team full of needs.

We were poorly coached and unmotivated last year and I'm sure a number of players will come back and surprise us, yet that doesn't mean we still don't have a lot of needs. We still need an upgrade at LT, C, RG, and RT. We still need upgrades for our linebacking core if were going to switch to a 3-4, and were going to need a FS.

I don't know. When it comes to the Redskins I have lost the ability to optimistic. I have been one of the biggest supporters of this team over the years and I have taken it on the chin time and time again. I would LOVE to be proved wrong please, but I just don't see anything different about this new regime.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 5, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

kost,
wherever you are, thanks!
Long live the Geelong Cats!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Baseball season started? - thought it was still Spring training.

Whateves.

I'm grateful for some World Cup action to carry me through the summer until NFL.

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

"...a sport that sucks if he doesn't like being trumped by the NFL...just sayin'..."

Baseball doesn't suck, but last night's good yanks v. sawx game isn't as much news today because of the McNabb trade.

B Selig is aware that football is king is all.

But if I had a son who was a superb ballpayer, I'd direct him to play baseball for more than the obvious health/money-related reasons.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Good gravy, I do enjoy reading quotes from a man who says "goodness gracious" not once but twice!

But he's still a ridiculous boob, a man who's terrible at his job, and it's not lost on most of us -- as he magnanimously makes an appearance at the Nats' opening day game -- how very difficult he made it for baseball to return to DC.

F you, Bud Selig, in perpetuity.

(You too, Angelos. F you for always.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 5, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"When it comes to the Redskins I have lost the ability to optimistic."

It's hard because they keep making the same mistakes. They just can't be that stupid, ya know?

Doesn't anybody believe in ACTUALLY rebuilding anymore? They just keep giving away draft picks like candy and it never works.

A 2nd round pick in the NFL is a starter. If they trade some guys before the draft, get Okung, and another OT somehow then great, I'm all for it. But if they go into next season with what they currently have....it's going to be ugly.

- Ray

PS - Selig sucks and should have an asterisk by his name whenever he makes a comment. :P

Posted by: rmcazz | April 5, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

since when did 33 become oldfor a qb? Favre 40, 40 - 33 = 7. This guy could have 7 years left. Half of that is 3.5 yrs

DM5 will b a UFA next year until further notice

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 5, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Who could possibly care about Bud Selig's feelings? Why is this even on a football blog? Enough with the pointless blog updates, WaPo should be ashamed.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 5, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

F you, Bud Selig, in perpetuity.

(You too, Angelos. F you for always.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 5, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Much more cogengtly presetned than my childish rant.

Cosign. In perpetuity, indeed.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 5, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

He woke up at 5:30 and said "goodness gracious."

This is why baseball is effeminate and ultimately useless (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Football fills the coliseum. No one has ever referred to a baseball player as a gladiator.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcazz | April 5, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of how the McNabb trade has changed the conversation, consider:

pick'em

Duke v. Butler

(remember the NCAA Championship game, y'all?)

I hate college basketbell, but will tune in.

And if Duke gets killed, the headlines will read "The Butler Did It!"

But I somehow don't believe that will happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

DM5 will b a UFA next year until further notice

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 5, 2010

Favre and Warner are the exception and not the rule.

Posted by: dcwun | April 5, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

"I was talking to someone in my office today about this. Here's the thing...Philly either beleives DMac is washed up or the Redskins suck as an organization.

I can't figure out any other reason they traded him here."

They believe he's washed up -- or close enough to it.

So did the Rams when they rid themselves of Kurt Warner for their young up and comer, Marc Bulger.

And so did the Packers when they rid themselves of Brett Favre for Aaron Rodgers.

And so did the Titans when they rid themselves of Steve McNair to the Ravens.

Kurt Warner ended up taking Arizona to the Super Bowl.

Brett Favre took Minnesota to the NFC title game.

Steve McNair took Baltimore to a 13-3 record and the AFC title game.

Interesting to see how McNabb shakes out after all this.

Posted by: psps23 | April 5, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think Delhomme is going to take Cleveland anywhere?

Mark Brunnell was 34 when we brought him in and he didn't exactly lead to the promised land.

Drew Bledsoe didn't have quite a grand rennaissance in Dallas despite the presence of great coaching.

I think with all of these "old-guys-who-got-it-done" examples, you'll find that their teams had far far better pieces in place than the Skins.

Warner benefitted from having the best WR tandem in the NFL.

The Ravens D carried McNair.

Favre had arguably the best RB and Oline in football and a perennial top 5 defense.

I hope to be wrong, but sadly I think McNabb's tenure is going to look more like Brunell 2.0. Not necessarily b/c he's totally washed up but because the team is still in shambles from previous years.

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

My kids are Duke fans, but when they learned that Duke was facing Butler in the finals they really wanted to root for Butler because Butler has the word butt in it.

Then they started chanting.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 5, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Sign Flozell and put him on the right side, he and BMW would be devastating in the run game, 800 pounds of human being coming at ya! Draft okung and worry about finding the young RB and QB next year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 5, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Irrelevant posts while you're busy getting scooped by of all people Mike Florio. This blogs only purpose is to provide a forum for people to consistently kiss @$$ or complain that their owner is incompetent and the moves the team is making will never be good enough.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 5, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Jeebus, it's baseball season already?

Posted by: 4-12 | April 5, 2010 5:22 PM

It means that football can't be far behind. Oh wait, yes it can. The baseball season lasts longer than the stink of my socks. For me, watching a baseball game is a lot like sitting on the beach. Great place to drink beer and stare at nothing going on ... the occasional bird, occasional pop foul ... while you're up, you wanna grab me another cold one? thanks.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Selig is a cow

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 5, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

hokiesmokie

"Why is this even on a football blog?"

Sir, this blog has chewed on the fat of a variety of subjects, football being the least of them.

Consider: hip hop, head, coochie, scrapple, soccer, A Rod, The Who, Prince, Tiger Woods, cheatin', weed, crack, Obama Hate, Obama Luv, The Dems, The Reps, The Tea Party, yellow journalism, avoiding work, reverse racism, La Canfora, cheap wine, Healthscare, rotfrau, homosexuality, and, sometimes, football.

Why football?

Because it is king.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

He woke up at 5:30 and said "goodness gracious."

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 5:40 PM

And the Nats result was 11-1. Not exactly a feisty affair.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 5, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Draft okung and worry about finding the young RB and QB next year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 5, 2010 5:45 PM

The Lions will pick Okung. Its in Stafford's contract, or at least a pleading note from this mother.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

DM5 will b a UFA next year until further notice

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 5, 2010

Favre and Warner are the exception and not the rule.

Posted by: dcwun

Hang in there guys, I got real data coming on this.

A ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES coming later this evening ... and it'll cover aging QBs.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 5, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

dcsween

"No one has ever referred to a baseball player as a gladiator."

Name the football player who has had the impact of a baseball player like, say, Jackie Robinson.

'Cuz Jackie was more than a gladiator--even if no one ever called him one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 5, 2010

Ray Brown was still playing on the Oline at 42. Is that the new standard to expect from our Olinemen?

I guess Chris Samuels wussed out. According to the Ray Brown measurement, he should have still had a decade of football left in him...or at least 5 years, eh?

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

DM5 will b a UFA next year until further notice

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 5, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

And McNabb has played, what? 3 less seasons than Farve due to injury? So he's fresh! And he won't be playing during any lockout, so with a little luck, we could be rooting Donovan 'Nolan Ryan' McNabb for quite a while!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 5, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Why football?

Because it is king.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 5:48 PM

Thinking about the queen of organized sports, did anyone see SNL this past week (J-Lo rerun of about a month ago) about curling ... and the coverage sponsored by the special cream for lady parts? Hil-f-ing-arious.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there guys, I got real data coming on this.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 5, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Will it address the teams that aging QBs play on?

Favre playing on the 2009 Vikes is not exactly like Delhomme starting for the 2010 Browns, you know...

Neither is McNabb starting for the 2010 Skins quite like Warner starting for the 2008 Cards...

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

ummm, something smells good.

Zeke is in the kitchen cooking the books on QBz

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 5, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

'Cuz Jackie was more than a gladiator--even if no one ever called him one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 5:53 PM

Still, maybe things would be different if he rode around in a chariot.

[I got nothin' ... up late doing taxes ... up early taking a daughter to the WH Easter Egg thing ... runnin on fumes.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 5, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

Before you waste your time, may I suggest this:

It's going to break it down far more enthusiastically than anyone would do in the normal course of fanaticism. And if you did plan on surpassing it, I have a few other links where you can get some help

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 5, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: memyselfI1 | April 5, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: memyselfI1 | April 5, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: memyselfI1 | April 5, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

What is the best return we could hope to see on a Haynesworth/Campbell trade to Oakland? Al Davis is senile as hell, do u think he'd be willing to give up the #8 overall pick? We could sweeten the deal with a lifetime supply of Charleston Chews.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 5, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 5, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I second that, zjfr2. And who is this Peter Selig in this story, anyway. Goodness gracious!

Posted by: frediefritz | April 5, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

ummm, something smells good.

Zeke is in the kitchen cooking the books on QBz

Posted by: _Stumped_

I cook no books. I look at the odds, the numbers, etc, and see what they tell me.

Which doesn't mean I don't have an opinion ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 5, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Assuming Bud Selig's workout involves a few dozen reps of pushing his combover back into place. That's his go-to move.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 5, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 5:55 PM

it's true... cows love cream

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 5, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Is there such a thing as a "core Redskin" anymore?

Posted by: Alan4 | April 5, 2010 4:42 PM |

Yes there is. They are called "coreskin".

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 5, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

A day ago I was puking at the notion of bringing in Flozell.

Now I feel like we have to.

In for dime, in for a dollar.

If we don't get some half-way legit bodies on the Oline to do some things, then this whole McNabb investment is going to crash and burn badly.

Posted by: p1funk | April 5, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Which doesn't mean I don't have an opinion ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 5, 2010 6:04 PM |

How can an automaton have an opinion?

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Bulger released in St Louis.

SEA G Rob Sims traded to DET to play LG. Jim Backus will stay at LT.

So: Bradford goes to St Louis and sits behind JC17 for a year. DET takes McSuh. TB takes the other. Redskins staring at Okung, and ready to field offers for a tradeback.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 5, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Before you waste your time, may I suggest this:

Posted by: mattsoundworld

My analysis is done, just need to write it up. Thanks for the interesting link. Its actually not far from what some parts of my data were telling me.

Fwiw, this paper tells you when a QB 'peaks'. It doesn't tell you what happens on either side of the peak. Which is what the issue is with McNabb.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 5, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 5, 2010 5:45 PM |

800 pounds of human fat is more like it.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 5, 2010 5:45 PM |

800 pounds of human fat is more like it.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:18 PM

lean meat is where it's at

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 5, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Bulger released in St Louis.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 5, 2010 6:11 PM |

What did he release? I always wondered what was behind that bulge.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

"If I were Selig, I would say to Boswell, I don't answer stupid questions. I'm the Commissioner of BASEBALL so I'm not going to answer a question about football."

Selig doesn't get that baseball is in its own world.

He should've been as diplomatic as a judge in an ugly baby contest, and moved on.

However, the deeper fear he's expressing is that football and basketball are taking great American athletes from baseball.

American kids are detached from the one sport that has historically held the nation's youthful interest.

Black kids and white kids in the nation don't have the same emotional attachment to the sport that Latin and Asian kids do.

There are people who worry that like track and field and boxing, baseball will sink into the depths of American public interest.

Increasingly, baseball players come from overseas to make very good money, and leave the field able to walk and think.

You can' say that about football.

And that is what me say goodness gracious.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

And if Duke gets killed, the headlines will read "The Butler Did It!"

But I somehow don't believe that will happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 5:41 PM |

If Butler wins there won't be headlines. The world would have come to an end.

Posted by: League-Source | April 5, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I think snyder is banking on a strike year next season.

Thats why he is going to mortgage the fututre.
If they trade next years picks then I bet this will be the case

Don't forget he was the only owner smart enough to structure the contracts he gave last year to have the majority of money paid this season.(Hall Haynsworth)

They might not have been good signings but the contracts were planned well

Posted by: DG28 | April 5, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

F Bud Selig

crotchety old bastard
Doesn't he have the MLB channel?

Posted by: westjr88 | April 5, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

And if Duke gets killed, the headlines will read "The Butler Did It!"

But I somehow don't believe that will happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 5, 2010 5:41 PM |

If Butler wins there won't be headlines. The world would have come to an end.

Posted by: League-Source | April 5, 2010 6:24 PM

dookies are for cow pies

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 5, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

lean meat is where it's at

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 5, 2010 6:21 PM |

Chiseled muscualture a la Bruce "the Beast" Campbell.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

With this blockbuster in the books, what other trades can we look forward to before the draft?

1. Trade JC for someone's 3rd round pick (Raiders, Buffalo, St Louis)?

2. Maybe trade A. Carter for a player or pick?

3. Figure out what to do with Fat Albert?

4. Has anyone discussed the idea that McNabb could even be part of an upcoming trade scenario? I know it seems far fetched, but could BA/MS have aquired him with the intent of spinning him off in a subsequent trade? (to move up in the draft, for instance?). That might explain the drastic departure from the "rebuilding" blueprint that has been followed up until now in this off-season. I'm not saying it should or will happen, I'm just putting it out there...

Posted by: PDXskin | April 5, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"McNabb, who has one year left on the 12-year, $115 million contract he signed with the Eagles in 2002, was dealt to the Redskins...."

zeke...zeke...you out there? I need an Ivy League dude to 'splain this here maths. He signed a 12-year contract in 2002, and has one year left on that deal. In 2010.

Posted by: 4-12 | April 5, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

lean meat is where it's at

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 5, 2010 6:21 PM |

Chiseled muscualture a la Bruce "the Beast" Campbell.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:28 PM

studs that aren't out to pasture yet... and good breeding stock that isn't inbred

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 5, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

dookies are for cow pies

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 5, 2010 6:28 PM |

Dookies are cow pies. Nice thick steaming ones.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

If Butler wins there won't be headlines. The world would have come to an end.

Posted by: League-Source | April 5, 2010 6:24 PM

No, just yours and the hopes and dreams of the dorkiest and ugliest student body in all the land.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 5, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | April 5, 2010 6:33 PM |

Them 12 years was dog years.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Go ahead and order your #5 jersey now. Hurry up because in 3 years you'll see it beside the Smith, Sanders, & Jason Taylor jerseys for just a couple of bucks.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 5, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Yea so sorry Mr. Selig, should have gotten your o.k. you big old clown

Posted by: MyOhMy | April 5, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

John Niyo, of The Detroit News, reports the Detroit Lions likely will not move OT Jeff Backus inside to guard because of the acquisition of OG Rob Sims.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 5, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Haha, fantastic post. Love it. Hey Commish, in case no one told you, your sport is approximately a bazillion times more boring than football, is why.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | April 5, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 5, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

My mother gave me a jersey for Christmas last year and as I opened it, I saw the burgundy and gold through the tissue paper and I mumbled to myself...Orakpo,Orakpo.
Opened it, pulled it out and held it up..........17.
I had a drink shortly there after.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 5, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | April 5, 2010 6:42 PM

And the soon to be drafted Russell Okung.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 5, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Aaron Wilson, of the National Football Post, reports the Washington Redskins have invited unrestricted free-agent RB Ryan Torain (Broncos) to participate in their minicamp as a non-roster invitee, according to a source.

Jim Trotter, of SI.com, reports the Washington Redskins are discussing a contract extension with QB Donovan McNabb and an agreement could be finalized this week.

Howard Balzer, of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, reports the agent for St. Louis Rams QB Marc Bulger, Tom Condon, said there are a few teams waiting for Bulger should he be released or if the team decides to trade him.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 5, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDXskin | April 5, 2010 6:31 PM |

Your conjecture has some credence. Andy Reid didn't have the spine to deal him to some bottom dweller so he fobbed the job off on Allen/Shanahan. McNabb will be dealt, if possible, to the Rams along with the #4 for their #1. If McNabb gives the Rams the finger then the Skins/Eagles deal is off. If not then the Skins get Bradford, the franchise QB of the future that they covet.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Darin Gantt, of the Charlotte Observer, reports Washington Redskins QB Jason Campbell could add some much-needed quarterback depth to the Carolina Panthers. The Panthers, while expressing the utmost confidence in QB Matt Moore, sincerely want to find someone to push him, someone who could take over should he struggle. Campbell would provide interesting competition.

Jason Cole, of Yahoo! Sports, reports Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid voiced his desire to keep QB Donovan McNabb, even if it cost them QB Kevin Kolb. A source close to Reid noted that Reid thinks Kolb is going to be really good, maybe even great. "But he knows Donovan is great and probably will be for three or four years," the source noted.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 5, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

never trust a sport that plays 162 games and still doesn't have a league champion

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 5, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

artis hicks says, mcNabb will be fine

wel....there you have it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 5, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Even if Okung is gone (and Lori knows they'll at least threaten to take him for some Skins draft picks), they should take the Beluga whale- we have a history of drafting from the Iowas anyway, and the New York based press has been downplaying him a bit too hard- the Jets and Giants want him...And sign Gaither while youre at it, decent OTs don't grow on trees..

Bring us the head of the Duke, Wiggins, and receive a sizable bounty!!

Posted by: frak | April 5, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

who really cares what Selig thinks? You lose 10 in a row in baseball, (boring) and it's like losing 1 in the NFL.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 5, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Rams cut Bulger today because they know Redskins not trading for #1 pick

Bradford goes to Rams at #1

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 5, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I like both teams tonight so either way I win. Rather see David beat Goliath though, just barely. Love the "team" play for Butler and Duke. If you can't at least appreciate the way these teams play and win, then you are not really a basketball fan IMO.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 5, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Rams cut Bulger today because they know Redskins not trading for #1 pick

Bradford goes to Rams at #1

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 5, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Exactly.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 5, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Rams cut Bulger today because they know Redskins not trading for #1 pick

Bradford goes to Rams at #1

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 5, 2010 6:56 PM |

And Rams trade 3rd round draft pick to Skins for Campbell. So what we thought would be a DC scenario of Campbell the DL punching bag holding on while Bradford learns and the OL builds is now going to unfold in StL.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 5, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I thought you all didn't want to draft a QB at #4 because he could be a potential "bust" and he could end up like "Heath Shuler"

NOW

We just sign a proven winner and now what's the problem?

Posted by: rickyroge | April 5, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Lions Look Set to Draft DT After Trade for Rob Sims
By Chris Burke
4/05/2010 6:30 PM ET
fanhouse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 5, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

i already have a #5 jersey, need to change the name, should iI rub off the autograph?? he is a congressman

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 5, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe more people would care if baseball wasn't 160+ games a year. I like baseball too, but long about August I'm tired of it.

Posted by: ch4gas | April 5, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I love how all these analysts are projecting Campbell as playing behind someone else.

Last year it was Campbell was worse than Cutler or Orton. Well Cutler had a 77 rating and Orton an 86. Campbell had an 86 playing with a worse everything (RBs, OL, WRs, coach) than Orton.

Now its 'Campbell can push Matt Moore' in Carolina. Jason has some problems, but the way the people are down on him is absurd.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 5, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

F BORING STINKING NON SPORTING BASEBALL THE WORST GAME IN THE WORLD, SELIG JUST A HATER PERIOD ANY THING LEFT TO SAY.A 100,000 GAMES A YEAR GIVE ME A BREAK 100,000 DAYS OF BOREUM

Posted by: rdbdaddy | April 5, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rdbdaddy | April 5, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Shanny has positioned himself perfectly to acquire Bradford and get rid of Haynesworth. He can sign McNabb, then trade him, Haynesworth and the #4 pick to the Rams for the #1, Carriker, and Barron.

Posted by: coparker5 | April 5, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

McNabb to STL?

Criminey put down the pipe.

I think the Carolina talk is just to ramp the price STL will pay for JC. He will go and hold down the fort and serve as insurance should ceramic shouldered Bradford fall down and go boom on the turf in STL.

Okung will be tehre at 4, unless somebody jumps us with TBay. DET is going McSuh now that their OG position is settled. Backus at LT was never the problem.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 5, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Opened it, pulled it out and held it up..........17.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 5, 2010 6:43 PM

Very funny, very poignant, westjr88. I guess that second best would have been #88 -- Lee Vickers, TE, North Alabama?

Next year mama's gonna come through. She posts regularly on this blog under the screen name of Diesel44 -- exactly half the man that you are.

Posted by: League-Source | April 5, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Selig is a D-Bag with a lame product. STFU

Posted by: erthdog | April 5, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Well who cares if Selig and MLB were upset that the Redskins and the NFL were stealing the headlines...after him and MLB screwed Washington by holding us hostage for a baseball team and raping and stealing all the talent from that team before moving them here, consider this payment one of payback by the Washington area...oh we still love our Nats btw...

Posted by: papaskynz | April 6, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse