Shanahan: McNabb 'probably can play as long as he wants to play'

On the day that the football world learned Brett Favre is a grandpa, Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan managed to mention Favre's name in the same sentence as his own experienced -- though probably not grandfatherly -- quarterback Tuesday.

Donovan McNabb will be 34 years old by the end of the 2010 season, and anyone who has been knocking the Redskins for the trade has surely noted McNabb's age.

Asked how much gas he has left in the tank, McNabb said: "A lot. A whole lot."

Shanahan expanded a bit on why McNabb might still be an impact player, even as he creeps closer to his mid-30s.

"First of all, he takes care of himself. Any time a guy works out and really takes care of himself and lives a certain lifestyle, you feel like he's got a chance," Shanahan said. "As I've mentioned before, Steve Young, John Elway, they went five years, six years past Donovan's age. How long is Donovan going to play? I think the way he handles himself, the way he's built, that he probably can play as long as he wants to play. You've got to
keep your fingers crossed.

"Is it five years? Is it six? Is it three? Well, I can't tell you for sure, but here's a guy who loves to play the game, who takes care of himself and hopefully he has the same passion in five years as he does right now and he can beat Brett Favre."

By Rick Maese  |  April 7, 2010; 2:04 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kiper: Shocked if Redskins draft QB at No. 4
Next: Shanahan says moves are part of rebuilding process

Comments

I love this McNabb deal. It makes Philly worse and us better. It is outstanding. Now, go trade down in the draft and pick up two or three picks and draft us a couple tackles and a QB of the (distant) future!!!

Posted by: moon9778 | April 7, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moon9778 | April 7, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

If you don't fix the $#&%#!& OL, McNabb won't last 3 games

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Not Shopping Haynesworth

The Redskins aren't actively shopping starting NT Albert Haynesworth

Despite multiple reports that the Washington Redskins are determined to trade defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, a high-ranking Redskins source insisted the team is not.

Posted by: leevi98 | April 7, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The off season is not over yet Zcez. I would wait until training camp to freak out with cuss words! ;-) I know I am saving mine

Posted by: Mike4169 | April 7, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Patience zcezcest...patience...let whole offseason play out.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 7, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I admire your [moon]pie in the sky attitude. But I'm not seeing it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

repost:

edvar -- I'm close to your position. Shanahan is using Albert to make a point. I think its foolish. Great talent is tough to manage in some cases, but you do it because it is great talent -- and these guys make a huge difference.

Randy Moss, TO, Portis are all on this list -- great talent, but problematic. Each one has been very productive and been key to their teams' success.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 2:02 PM |

I remember Pat Riley talking about the challenges of coaching superstars after he left coaching the LA Lakers to all those championships. He basically said - Hell yeah you give the elite guys special treatment. Doesn't make it unfair because you also demand more from them. The trick is knowing who the elite guys are, and who is the supporting cast.

If I just handed a 25(?) million dollar check to an elite game changing athlete, I'd be making darn sure that all efforts were aligned to get the maximum production from him and that he was happy. He has a guaranteed contract and all of your money - what else are you gonna do? Bench him? Trade him? Why? You just got him.

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 2:14 PM |

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 2:14 PM

My thoughts as well edvar. All of the “trade him” guys say that what is left on his contract is something that makes him more tradeable, or attractive to another team. Doesn’t this make it easier to keep him as well? The huge portion of his contract is paid, and is in essence water under the bridge since they restructured to take advantage of the uncapped year. They are paying a guy a buttload of money to play in an uncapped year, so it’s not hurting them at all unless you are Dan Snyder and actually wrote the check. I understand that this also makes it potential-cap friendlier to dump him now, but why not try to hold on to the best DL in the leaugue for a few years. Supposedly he is going to show up in shape……..but if he doesn’t and looks like he is even more out of shape than last year, try to get rid of him during pre-season, when injuries to other teams can happen. If someone like Jared Allen were to go down, that team might be willing to shell out a lot more than they would now.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 7, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"How about, "Can't lead his team to victory"?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse "

Spoken like someone who never saw ND play. Their defense was utterly abysmal. In his career, Clausen threw for at least 240 yards 18 times, more than 300 yards 10 times, and greater than 400 yards 3 times. He had three-plus touchdowns 10 times, seven of which came in his first 22 starts - his freshman and sophomore seasons. In addition, he had at least one touchdown in 13 consecutive games, at least 246 yards in 13 of his last 15 games, including a current streak of eight straight games. Clausen completed at least 70 percent of his passes nine times (minimum of 18 attempts), including twice with 40-plus passing attempts.

In three of their six losses last season, ND scored 30 or more points. Clausen, in those games, was 78-117 for 1005yds, 10tds and 0ints (average 26-38, 335yds 3.33tds, 0int). Short of him suiting up on defense, I don't know what else he could have done to get more wins.

Posted by: mocoirish | April 7, 2010 2:07 PM
-------------------------------------------
You can throw all of the garbage time stats out there you want, but I am still not a believer. Did he put his team in a position to win? No. Call him another Rick Mirer or another Brady Quinn, but either way, he's cut from the same "looks good on paper" cloth that those guys came from.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 7, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Riles was the master at that. I'm sure there are some nfl guys who could handle the elite.

Early parcells comes to mind.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I admire your [moon]pie in the sky attitude. But I'm not seeing it.

"I hope I'm wrong, but I see it as giving everyone else in the division another leg up."

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, how often are you right when you think with you little head instead of you big head. Or maybe lay of the shrooms and your mind won't be in space all the time.

The PHillydelphias posted an 11-5 record with an aging QB who can no longer play(which is why there was no fear in trading him to us)

Can you imagine how grrrrreat Phillydelphia is gonna be with an even better QB leading the charge and 11 new pro bowl toys?

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The 2009 team would have won about 12 games with 2 changes.

1. An average OL
2. Good coaching/leadership

The 1st point is obvious. The OL couldn't run block and couldn't pass protect. The OL is like the engine for the entire team. If it doesn't work right, you don't get where you want to get very often.

The second point is probably just as big. Competence covers a lot of areas. Portis basically quit on Zorn before the season started. Albert was out of shape. The secondary has plenty of talent, but lacked focus and discipline. The play calling was bizarre. ARE was our PR.

Across the board, except at OL and perhaps RB (don't really know if Portis is done), this team had enough talent to win. 8 losses came by 8 points or less.

Shanahan fixes problem #2.

Problem #1 remains. Getting McNabb didn't help fix problem #1. It made it harder to fix.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan: McNabb 'probably can play as long as he wants to play'

Translation: McNabb can play for as long as he's winning games and doesn't make me look foolish for trusting him.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Chalk up another decade of dominance for the Phillydelphias. They so smart. did I say decade. Phillydelphia will be the model franchise for ever and PFT reported Andy Reid has been signed to a lift-time contract. How is Andy ever gonna get fired if he keeps the Phillydelphias good year in and year out.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Although I'll hold off on calling you out on your Bald Upper Management fetish (too late), I'm not sure I'm seeing your point. Are you being sarcastic?

Are you saying you think Philly will be better or worse? How are we faring then?

If you're touting the Iggles, I'm agreeing w/ you [jackSJK]. If not, then I don't get the hyperbolic irony.

-plz 'splain.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Come On, it's Mike Shanahan... The first thing that comes to mind is OL, illegal blocks, & over achieving RB's before you ever talk about the passing game.

So, In Shanny I trust to get the OL fixed... Although, Russell Okung is the obvious choice in the draft for the Skins this year... I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Flozell to a short term deal & draft a playmaker like Berry. It all depends if they feel Okung is worthy of #4.

Personally, a trade down might be the best play... if you could get LT & say Terrance Cody to fill that future NT role... But no matter what... IN SHANNY I TRUST!!!

Posted by: tony325 | April 7, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Early parcells comes to mind.
Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:26 PM

I was thinking about that the other day. It really is a good thing that Parcells quit the cowboys. He is just the type of coach who would have put his foot really far up Romo’s butt by now, so that it might have straightened him out into an elite QB. Young Phil Simms tried to be a gunslinger all the time but Parcells tempered him into less of a risk taker and that worked out to two Super Bowl seasons. I don’t think I have ever seen Wade Phillips or Jason Garret so much as frown at Romo…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 7, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Im a Phillydelphia Phan juz like you and about half the blog apparently

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Edvar-

Nice work. Since we loading up for bear this year might as well have every weapon available.

92 at 60-80% effort is better than anybody we have at 100%.

If a quality character guy, mentor, family man, and role model like Phillip Daniels gives 110% then he's better than 2 of him.

You picking up what I'm laying down?

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 7, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhh, you're an idiot. Ok, I got it now.

Thanks.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Patience zcezcest...patience...let whole offseason play out.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 7, 2010 2:15 PM

Yes, relax, Rescue Carrier Boy, the McNabb deal hasn't even finished playing out yet. McNabb does not yet have a long term deal and Campbell is still here.

Prediction: If they can't move Campbell, the tune will change and they will start talking about a QB competition (at first, they'll use the word competition, then they will say controversy). The Skins won't agree to a long term deal with McNabb till they know that Campbell is not going to be on the roster ... which they do not yet know (damb you Marc Bulger!).

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Phillydelphia has a grrrrreat O-line because each member consumes 3 CheezSteaks daily

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM

^^^crackbaby

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth

Haynesworth

The source said Haynesworth is, and will continue to be, the Redskins' starting nose tackle.

Haynesworth's name has not come up in any trade discussions since March 31, when Washington and Philadelphia discussed a potential deal for quarterback Donovan McNabb, according to the source.

Sources told ESPN on Monday that the Redskins offered Haynesworth in one of their first attempts to land McNabb, but the Eagles were not interested. The two teams completed the trade Sunday that sent McNabb to Washington for the Eagles' second-round pick in this month's draft, plus either a third- or fourth-round pick in 2011.

As the most highly sought free agent of 2009, Haynesworth signed a $100 million contract with the Redskins, including $41 million in guaranteed money. Haynesworth will earn a guaranteed $3.6 million in 2010 and $5.4 million in 2011.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

Posted by: abxinc | April 7, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Not Shopping Haynesworth

The Redskins aren't actively shopping starting NT Albert Haynesworth

Posted by: leevi98 | April 7, 2010 2:14 PM
==============
good to know Albert and 100 million dollar sprained butt muscle will be a Redskin next year....
Wonder when he pulled his glute, last year, who the unlucky trainer was that had to massage it??
Could of been a great careerbuilder Ad visual..with the caption..
"time to change careers?".

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

SkinShave,

They did hand us our SJK on a platter twice last year... [so did everyone else]. And as Baldy says, the CowPatties read McNubbin like a cheap dimestore novel.

I can see a reasoned debate, but you're treading ITA, yknow?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

And I thank the Humanitarians who sell crack. They do the US a favor

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, RedD. I guess I took the bait. lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 2:39 PM

I think the action-forcing event on the McNabb deal is the large roster bonus that he's due early in May. Skins will want to factor that into his next contract.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Hard not to give philly credit. No championships, but they win, year in year out. At this point, they are young, talented and have more draft picks this year than the Skins have in the next 2 drafts combined.

I may hate 'em, extra especially with vick, but they do know how to run the biz.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

Posted by: abxinc | April 7, 2010 2:42 PM

Questionable part of this construction is the word "earn". Receive, yes. Earn, in doubt.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mocoirish | April 7, 2010 2:07 PM

I tried explaining this already. Some people just hate the Irish, especially their QBs, and won't see it any other way.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Probably a key point McShanahan left out is that UNLIKE those guys, McNabb has been HURT and has not played a full season a number of years...

Posted by: nojunk4me | April 7, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Phillydelphia is jus continuing their winning wayz since before they drafted McNabb. Their ability to put together stout offensive lines is the reason they were grrrrrreat before and after McNabb.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM
==============
Reid is so fat, they had to put a "lift" in his Contract?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

The Emperor has turned yet another Jedi into a Sith.

Darth Shanahan.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Dik, are you going to be this bitter when McNabb is leading the Skins to victory or into the playoffs?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

The Skins almost beat the Eagles in Philly well after the season was already in the toilet (27-24 loss if I recall correctly.) And don't you think Dallas being able to read and dominate the Eagles the last 2 weeks is more of an indictment on their coaching staff than McNabb himself?

Posted by: ToddStinkston | April 7, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

Posted by: abxinc | April 7, 2010 2:42 PM

Posted by: League-Source

If you asked me if I would pay Albert that money -- and got his 2009 performance in each of the next 2 seasons -- I'd say absolutely YES!! It'd be a great deal.

If you asked me to pay him $21mil first, then do 2010 and 2011 for another $9mil, I'd say absolutely NO!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Still love to read Michael Vick as the variable or the all out direct source of someone's ire. Yes, the feds should've fried his black ass then stuck ice picks in his balls. Got it.

I swear that sh*t never gets old.

The target of your hate doesn't even know it and if he did doesn't even give a fuc_k.

Think about that.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Really? McNabb can't play anymore? Take a look at Tom Boswell's great article today. I think McNabb will prove Philly wrong. Now, we trade down and get a couple of picks and a third rounder for Campbell and it's almost as if we gave up nothing. How many great players have been drafted #37? Jon Jansen? He was servicable but not great. I like our chances to go 10-6.

Posted by: moon9778 | April 7, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

And I thank the Humanitarians who sell crack. They do US a favor

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

/signed Andy Reid's sons

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

No, I'm going to happily eat all the crow I can.

I'm just not drinking the Kook-Aid. Seriously, if they'd done this last season, we'd be complaining about how stupid a move it was.

In fact, there were plenty of posts to that effect when Vick showed up in Philly. Heck, I was one of the guys who bought up the possibility. I did it a few weeks ago, too.

But not at this price. I think it's a bad move. Yes, I think the #37 pick is that important.

Again, happy to be wrong.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh - and I'm not saying he can't play. I'm saying the NFC East knows his game inside and out.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I swear that sh*t never gets old.

The target of your hate doesn't even know it and if he did doesn't even give a fu_k.

Think about that.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

the New Englands were winning so many games before tom brady because they are smart at building Offensive lines. They just shoved some 6th round pick behind the grrrrreatesd O-line ever and WALLa. the New Englands will always be relevant because they know if they have the grrrrreatest O-line they can shove another 6th round quarterback in up'ere. Clevelands, Jacksonvilles and st. Loiuss are on to the New Englands winning wayz because their O-line is up and coming with several high picks on O-line. When will the Washingtons come around?

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Campbell should just stay in Washington, because McNabb won't last the whole season as a starter. He looked so done at the end of the season last year. I'm thinking they brought him on board to help train the qb they hope to pick up in the draft, and I'm thinking the Skins are taking Tebow whenever they can get him. Game's going to be changing in the future, and he may be the kind of key to it (as Shanahan has long admired Meyer's offensive style).

Posted by: Xlnt | April 7, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

And I thank the Humanitarians who sell crack. They do US a favor

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

/signed Andy Reid's sons

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

LMAO! Hilarious.

Damn, I knew Reid's sons did some heavy sh*t like meth, but I didn't know they were basin' it up.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

dude. You're naked right now, arent you. admit it.

gross.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Drug Dealers are terrific human beings, always thinking of others. they know the customers want it. I swear if the customers weren't willing to pay, Drug Dealers would still work for free. they are such grrrrreat people.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Would help if someone told Albert about the facts of life.

In his case, its roughly this. Probably best to hear from his agent.

Albert, you've got a 2 year deal with the Skins, after that, you're a FA (maybe the skins have an option year, not sure). If you want another massive contract, you need to be a stud for the next 2 years.

Why?

Because if you're only a stud for the one year before your contract expires, everyone will know you only show up to play in contract years. Fooled 'em once, won't fool anyone again. If no one believes you are worth paying big money to for anything other than a 1 year deal -- you'll be stuck with 1 year deals for the rest of your career.

Albert -- you've got one more big payday, but only if you play great the next 2 seasons.

Them's the facts.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me | April 7, 2010 2:48 PM

BS. nojunk4you, but plenty of junk from you. McNabb started every game two years ago. He missed two games last year and two games three years ago.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

Posted by: abxinc | April 7, 2010 2:42 PM

That guy has a special pipeline for information ... he co-wrote a book with some guy.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Even I am warming up to McNabb. After looking at his career stats and some great articles chronicling the aftermath of QB's his age SUCCEEDING in their new environment, I have a feeling that the NFC East will pay dearly for the Redskins making one of the BEST acquisitions in years.

If Campbell can be offloaded for either a third or a fourth round choice, then the net net of the McNabb deal is a 2nd round choice - and you get a QB with a lot of experience and apparently a significant leader. I'm amazed at how well he's handled this issue of being traded - no ankle biting or back stabbing.

What should be interesting is to see McNabb with a real running game available to him - play actions should really cause problems for opposing teams and hopefully our coaching staff will adapt to McNabb's short and mid inaccuracy issues and to exploit his strength of the long ball.

I would just say we should give McNabb all the support we can. Maybe for once he'll feel like the fans appreciate him.

And I'm so tired of the whining about Campbell having a rough time. He's an athlete who is paid millions. He is EXPECTED to learn and to adapt and there was never a promise of an easy road. Things could have been better, but Campbell seemed ill-prepared at times and that isn't a coaching issue - that's a preparation issue. I wonder how many games would have been won if he'd have not bailed on a play just because he gave up and didn't move around. You can't teach field general ability, and on the field, Campbell is a private and McNabb is a General.

Posted by: laserwizard | April 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

One of Reid's kids went to jail with a balloon up his ass stuffed with pills. No joke, serious addiction problem.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | April 7, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mocoirish | April 7, 2010 2:07 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 2:47 PM

Maybe this explains DikShuttle's negativity toward O'Donovan McMcNabb.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 11:55 AM
==============
hang on to JC up until the October trading deadline. His value will only rise when QB Starters and Backups begin to go on the IR.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha like number 5. The blog is in full blown Kool Aid mode. Shanny the best coach/QB coach ever (forget about jake the snake and JCut). Number 5 has 3-4 years left. 3-4 a good idea even thought our too best linemen will be gone and fit the 4-3 better.

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:05 PM

Spoken like someone who didn't get a $5M signing bonus, collect a $6M salary last season, just collect a check for $21M and isn't guaranteed $9M over the next two years.
What next big payday are you talking about?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Expect the Clevelands, the Jacksonvilles, and the St.Louiss to be playoff contenders soon and for awhile because each team has invested at least 2 top 35 picks in O-line the past 5 years. Those teams will soon be the model for why O-line is the most important position, bar none.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Red, I think it's easier to name the drugs they didn't do.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this explains DikShuttle's negativity toward O'Donovan McMcNabb.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 3:09 PM

And hatred toward Coach Mick K. @ Duke.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:00 PM
=================
what the he-ll is a "New Englands"? Its the "Pats"..
And the Pats, and Brady have looked very ordinary since spygate took their videographer away.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

After looking at his career stats and some great articles chronicling the aftermath of QB's his age SUCCEEDING in their new environment, ...

Posted by: laserwizard | April 7, 2010 3:07 PM

I think Favre had a GREAT year last year, but my most recent memory of him is the last play of this past NFC Championship.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Edvar-

92 at 60-80% effort is better than anybody we have at 100%.

You picking up what I'm laying down?

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 7, 2010 2:37 PM

Gotta know the difference between the elite players and the role players.

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If you don't fix the $#&%#!& OL, McNabb won't last 3 games

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

Pre-season or regular?

Posted by: TheCork | April 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:10 PM

You don't have to wait that long. Look at the Jets. The Ryan boy made for an exciting defense, but the reason Sanchez remained upright was an investment in the line (see also Baltimore and Atlanta).

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it that Teams are experimenting not lining up a QB at all. The center will snap the ball horizontally to a pulling guard who will have the option to either throw or run in a new formation called the hungry pig sty.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:13 PM

Who has an attention span that lasts longer than one season?

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:05 PM

What next big payday are you talking about?

Posted by: learnedhand1

Albert is done here after 2011 -- and he's still young enough to get another shot at the open market. He'll only be 31 in June 2012. Old DTs can still play. Pat Williams of Minn made Pro Bowls at age 34, 35 and 36.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

At what point will we look like a joke next season. After Colt goes down and we bring in Randel El to be forth string QB. After CP and Larry get shown fighting of the sideline about who is more washed up.

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 3:15 PM
that's correct.

My sources are telling me that a possible 64 offensive linemen could be taken in the first two rounds. The New Yorks, New Englands, New Orleans, Pittsburgs, Phillydelphias, and Indys have proven that any QB will suffice.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

If you don't fix the $#&%#!& OL, McNabb won't last 3 games

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

Pre-season or regular?

Posted by: TheCork

Regular season. Stop being such a pessimist.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:13 PM

Who has an attention span that lasts longer than one season?

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Not me. By June I will be as bad as everyone up here. I would love 11 draft picks though.

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 11:55 AM
==============

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:09 PM
===============
hey kool aid man. Rex will be McNabb's backup should the Skins not be able to unload him..
JC doesnt fit in Kyle's WCO type system.. Its why Rex, who knows Kyle's playbook, is here to begin with.. not to be 3rd string.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"After Colt goes down and we bring in Randel El to be forth string QB."

Note to all newbies: study the roster.

One of the cats you mention here is no longer with the team.

In fact, in all actuality, he's not even a cat.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

pretty scathing commentary from b. baldinger.

Posted by: BMACattack

I'm not crazy about the trade, but at least I know McNabb is good QB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 1:23 PM

This makes no sense. If McNabb is so flawed then why has Andy Reid treated the running game like an afterthought for nearly his entire career? Instead he has a pass-happy attack that puts more on the shoulders of this flawed QB. I call BS.

Posted by: skinswest | April 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Hate to ruin it for you but Randle El isn't on the team anymore.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Red, I think it's easier to name the drugs they didn't do.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

I'd never do anything where I'd lose control.

As much as I'd like to try 'shrooms, I just can't do it.

I've seen people BUGGED out on 'shrooms. And that's not what getting "nice" is all about to me...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston | April 7, 2010 3:09 PM
-----------------------------------------Good thing he didn't pass gas or he would've had the Hindenberg in his shorts...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 7, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:16 PM
===========
umm instead of a WildCat formation.. its the Wild Boar formation. I like it..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The rich and famous do hardcore drugs. Don't you want to be rich and famous?

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"Who thinks the Redskins are going to win more games than the eagles 2,3,4,5 years out."

Gotta betta question:

How many wins is McNabb worth (this assumes the line is correct, the team is healthy)?

I'd say McNabb alone is worth maybe six wins just with his arm and presence.

Four wins might come from improved defense performance, a solid ground attack, and stellar special teams play.

That's 10-6.

If the skins go 9-7, 10-6 next Fall, would it make the trade a worthwhile deal?

I'd say hell ya'!

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Or mebbe swinging sty gate?

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

If you don't fix the $#&%#!& OL, McNabb won't last 3 games

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

Pre-season or regular?

Posted by: TheCork

Pretty sure he means the first 7 on 7 drill they run in training camp.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

McNabb keeping the chains moving a few more times a game will help the D get rest too. They were all wore out in the 4th quarter last year.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 7, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

ThePork will be eating lotsa pills just to survive

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:17 PM

Pat Williams was an undrafted guy who had to bust his sjk to get paid (and he never sat on $31M in one year's time). AH doesn't have that guy's motor.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"After Colt goes down and we bring in Randel El to be forth string QB."

Note to all newbies: study the roster.

One of the cats you mention here is no longer with the team.

In fact, in all actuality, he's not even a cat.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Note to MistaMoe I am not a Newbie I just have not posted for a while. Being a long time poster is nothing to be proud of you just are or are not. Bring in randel el means we would re-sign him. The whole think was a joke as to point out McNabb, Colt, and that sexy Rexy all get injured a lot and our O line will be suspect next year.

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Plus he was on 'roids.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me | April 7, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

That's 10-6.

If the skins go 9-7, 10-6 next Fall, would it make the trade a worthwhile deal?

I'd say hell ya'!

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 3:27 PM
===========
Skins win wildcard.. Date with Philly for the NFC championship..
Talk about network ratings.

(obviously Andy's son shared with me)

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

mul123

"Being a long time poster is nothing to be proud of you just are or are not."

Actually, sir, pride isn't even a word in my personal dictionary.

I'm more arrogant than proud.

But I'll make sure they add your name to the list of RI Celebrities the next time it comes out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Not addictive tho Red.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Uhhhh

This just in...

beep

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Philly is laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

Never has it been so clear this is merely a brand we're rooting for.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 7, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should be much better this year just because Shanahan is so much better than Zorn as a coach.

The challenge, other than the OL, will be the schedule. 6 games in the division that are always tough. 3-3 would be a good result. McNabb is 11-15 in the division in the last 5 seasons.

The AFC conference we play is the toughest in the AFC -- Houston, Jax, Tenn and Indy. A bit optimistic, but call that 2-2.

We play the NFC North. GB and Minn will be tough, Det and Chi should be better, but probably not good. Call it 2-2.

That's 7-7 before we get to StL and Tampa. Call it 9 wins.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Kiper what a fool. Listening to Vinny. Its going to be OL and DB's. Maybe a nose tackle. ;)

Hopefully they can trade Haynesworth, Campbell (since both want to leave ... ) and Cooley for draft picks this year and next.

Posted by: periculum | April 7, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mul123 | April 7, 2010 3:13 PM

Who has an attention span that lasts longer than one season?

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 3:17 PM

Was this a question about pre-season, regular season, post-season, or off season? We're still champs, March through July, even when we're not trying.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Who is Shanahan kidding ?
McNabb has had injury issues every year for the last several seasons...plus ineffective issues,his numbers were basically the same as JC's last year and he had an O Line and elite receivers.

Anybody remember his performance against Dallas in those last two games when the season was on the line ?

Andy Reid did...I'd bet.

Posted by: petebowling1 | April 7, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 7, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Who is Shanahan kidding ?
McNabb has had injury issues every year for the last several seasons...

Posted by: petebowling1 | April 7, 2010 3:49 PM

How about backing this up with some facts? McNabb started 14, 16, and 14 games in the last three years.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"How about backing this up with some facts?"

Year Team G
2009 Philadelphia Eagles 14
2008 Philadelphia Eagles 16
2007 Philadelphia Eagles 14
2006 Philadelphia Eagles 10
2005 Philadelphia Eagles 9
2004 Philadelphia Eagles 15
2003 Philadelphia Eagles 16
2002 Philadelphia Eagles 10
2001 Philadelphia Eagles 16
2000 Philadelphia Eagles 16
1999 Philadelphia Eagles 12

He played all 16 games 4 out of 11 seasons. Mmmm, by my math (and I'm no mathematician) that appears to be 36%.

Posted by: nojunk4me | April 7, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

NcNabb has suffered season-ending injuries in 2 of his last 5 seasons in Philly and that was playing behind a good line who provided him protection. Given the state of Washington's line, it's very unlikely he'll even make it through half the season without a major injury. I almost think that Shanahan wants JC to stick around as the backup because he know that he can take the hits and keep playing.

Without two starting-calibre NFL tackles plus an upgrade at RG, McNabb will have a very hard time being productive as a Redskin. People also forget the McNabb also played on a defense that often provided him a short field with its ability to create TO's and one of the top FG kickers. The Redskins' D has never shown the ability to change field position, let alone score points on TO's.

People who think McNabb will last more than a couple seasons behind this line are delusional. Instead of rebuilding, Shanahan has just bought himself some more time to be semi-competitive.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 7, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is old, even with Steroids and HGH as all NFL players take, you cannot find inflammation. I feel so sorry for NFL players, average career of 2-3 seasons and a lifetime of living on painpills, weigh management. How many Linemen are over the age of 55 and still alive? Why doesnt the NFL show us those statistics? but then again, we are to blame. We pay money to see people collide with each other at such incredible forces.

Posted by: bluebee8 | April 7, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is old, even with Steroids and HGH as all NFL players take, you cannot fight inflammation. I feel so sorry for NFL players, average career of 2-3 seasons and a lifetime of living on painpills, weigh management. How many Linemen are over the age of 55 and still alive? Why doesnt the NFL show us those statistics? but then again, we are to blame. We pay money to see people collide with each other at such incredible forces.

Posted by: bluebee8 | April 7, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Hoorah! It just occurred to me that we won the offseason again. Wait a minute, that might not be a good thing.

Posted by: elderdave1 | April 7, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elderdave1 | April 7, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

McNabb looked BETTER than he has for the past few years in the press conference the other day. But that makes sense. He was going into a contract negotiation year. He was hefty the past few years with the Eagles, and that correlates with the injuries he had.

So for the record, Shanahan is not quite correct when he says that McNabb "takes care of himself".

Shanahan needs to focus on the fact that McNabb has an annoying tendency to throw passes downward towards the receiver, oftentimes just missing the receiver. And he has a PR problem with smiling when things go bad, and the camera doesn't miss that stuff. he is a good QB -- not a great one -- and it is a good move for the Redskins to have acquired him. But he does have weaknesses.

And yes, as many have said, if the OL doesn't improve, McNabb'll be McMeat, or would it be more politicall correct to say Chunky Soup?

Posted by: dsda3731 | April 8, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse