Teammates still surprised at Donovan McNabb's benching

A day after quarterback Donovan McNabb was benched in the fourth quarter of a 37-25 loss at Detroit, his Redskins teammates expressed - again - their overriding feeling about Coach Mike Shanahan's move: Surprise.

"Initially, I thought he was probably hurt or something," inside linebacker London Fletcher said.

"I think a lot of guys thought he was just banged-up," cornerback DeAngelo Hall added. "For him to be pulled like that, definitely a shocker to a lot of us."

"We were kind of questioning what was going on," offensive lineman Kory Lichtensteiger said. "But that's not really our job to try to figure out what the coaches were thinking."

The Redskins, who are headed into their bye week, gathered Monday to watch film of the loss. They will practice Tuesday morning, and then disperse until next Monday, when they will begin preparations for their Nov. 15 game against Philadelphia.

But before they departed for their lone break of the season, they tried to downplay the notion that Shanahan's decision to use Rex Grossman in the two-minute offense instead of McNabb would have any sort of repercussions for the team as a whole.

"For us as players, we're employees," Hall said. "We're players. We have coaches. We do what the coaches say to do. If that's come out of the game, we come out of the game. If that's go in the game, we go in the game. So for us to not, I guess, rally behind what's being coached, that's not going to happen. We're going to do what the coaches say to do."

Hall and others admitted, though, that Shanahan's move could have lasting implications for McNabb's future in Washington. He was acquired in an offseason trade with Philadelphia, but he and the Redskins have not negotiated an extension to his contract, which expires at the end of the 2010 season.

"It does raise an interesting point," Hall said. "After the season, will he be here or not? He has a decision to make, too. It's not strictly up to this organization. It's up to him, too, as well. I guess we'll, as a team and an organization, we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

No teammates, however, predicted that McNabb would allow his personal situation to interfere with the team dynamic moving forward - even as they understood that McNabb could be upset.

"I imagine it's extremely hard and difficult for a player at any position, and particularly the quarterback position," Fletcher said. "It's the most important position on the football field. Donovan's a 12-year player, been a Pro Bowl player, a perennial Pro Bowl player, done a lot of good things in this league. I'm sure he and Coach Shanahan have talked about it and he'll get a better understanding."

If McNabb and Shanahan have indeed spoken, neither has revealed that yet. McNabb appeared briefly in the Redskins locker room Monday, but departed without addressing the media. He is due to speak Tuesday, before he leaves for the bye week.

"I think there's a quiet confidence," Fletcher said. "There's obviously a drive and determination inside of Donovan, a burning inside of him. I know he's probably extremely upset. As a competitor, you're not going to be happy to be pulled for a ballgame."

By Barry Svrluga  | November 1, 2010; 1:12 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb, Mike Shanahan, Rex Grossman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rex Grossman had little warning he was replacing Donovan McNabb
Next: Offensive line's breakdowns result in 7 sacks

Comments

==================

If you did your job, then maybe we are not having this conversation.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 1, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I would leave if I was McNabb too. I'm still supporting Shanahan, because I can only imagine where we'd be with Vinny, but Mikey is making it tough. If you don't like Donovan, don't trade second round picks for him. If you do, let him try to make a play.

I mean, dag, you could throw a bomb and hope to get an interference call, worked for the Jets. (actually, probably couldn't protect for the 3 seconds required to throw a bomb, but still...). But how he ever believed Rex was going to succeed behind that line (or any other) is astounding.

And again, this line is softer than a kittens belly up the middle, yet Dock sits on the bench. Say what you want, I do not understand it.

Kyle is not looking so hot without Andre Johnson, and Houston's offense hasn't missed a beat without him. I'm just saying. To hang it all on Donovan there seems crazy.

Posted by: AdamCr | November 1, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

==================

If you did your job, then maybe we are not having this conversation.
-------------------------------------------

Haaaaaa. Good job, Kerz.

Posted by: heyjoe728 | November 1, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"If you don't like Donovan, don't trade second round picks for him."

It looks like another pick thrown away doesn't it? Our o-line sucks, but DMac is missing plays. Maybe he's having a hard time learning the offense, who knows?

Maybe he's hurt and not telling anyone?

Hopefully it works out but I am not so sure at this point.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 1, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

==================

The same could probably be said of why he's playing over Dock at all.

Posted by: AdamCr | November 1, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Rich Campbell
Phillip Daniels: "When I found out [McNabb] wasn’t hurt, I just felt like I wanted him on the field at the end."

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 1, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

is it me or are monk811 and playaction as annoying as the smell of my dogs gas ?

Posted by: Flip_Flop | November 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"Teammates still surprised at Donovan McNabb's benching"

Wake up call, meet your definition.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

JosephGWhite Joseph White Jr.

Michael Vick on McNabb benching: "Very shocked that he was pulled from the game at crunch time. ... Hopefully they get it all worked out."
6 minutes ago

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 1, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Rich Campbell

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 1, 2010 1:24 PM

And I wanted Daniels to not jump offsides on a chip shot FG that Jason Hanson makes 99 out of 100 times. Had he not, we would have been up at least 9 with 4 mins left .

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 1, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flip_Flop | November 1, 2010 1:25 PM

Depends on the smell of your dogs ass I would think...but...

cosign

Posted by: PlayAction | November 1, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

roll mcnabb out, put Dock into the lineup, do SOMETHING DIFFERENT...Shanny is supposed to be an offensive genius, have you seen genius yet?? Cuz, i've seen more zorn/repeat of last year than anything......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 1, 2010 1:20 PM

DMac tripped, Dock was inactive and "roll mcnabb out" doesn't help Fred catch. What else you got Greg?

Posted by: mack1 | November 1, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Shocked at some of the Spurrier/Zorn type coaching yesterday.

1. Going for 2 with 12 mins left and the lead
2. Up 5, with 4 mins left and calling a pass play (the call was BAD but the throw by McNabb was WORSE)
3. Going for it with over 2 mins left and two TOs (essentially gave the Lions 3 pts)
4. Pulling McNabb (who made some plays with his feet, but was terrible) with the game still in the balance for Rex F'ing Grossman.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 1, 2010 1:09 PM

Danny Smith was there last year. Seeing Hunter the Punter kicking the ball out of bounds repeatedly to give the Lions good field position... frustrating!

Posted by: RedCherokee | November 1, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

REPOST

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 1, 2010 1:09 PM

Those were the 2 that bothered me the most. Going for it on 4th down may have actually been dumber than benching McNabb (the advantage to benching McNabb being that he gets out of Detroit alive). But both decisions stunk. If you punt it away on fourth down with the 2 min. warning and 2 TOs, and with the way Banks had been returning the ball, you may end up with great field position and a ton of time left.

I don't have much of a problem with going for 2 or the decision to throw while in the lead with a veteran QB that generally can be trusted not to throw into triple coverage. I said generally.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | November 1, 2010 1:29 PM

Posted by: HokiesSkins | November 1, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Whether you are for or against the McNabb benching, these two things cannot be disputed:

1. The entire team needed a swift kick in the rear for its performance the past few weeks, and
2. The entire team felt swiftly kicked by this move (note the defensive players sounding off)

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 1, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't know why any of his so-called teammates should stick up for McDude now... especially when treated him so poorly on Sunday.

Truth is, the whole offensive unit should be benched.. starting with the front line.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

The timing of the benching was bizarre.

But the reason is clear. With a 5 point lead and 5:21 left in the game, McNabb threw a pick into triple coverage on second and 10 from his own 26.

If Shanny lets that go without a response, McNabb is likely to do it again and again, just like Favre.

The best way to handle it would have been to let McNabb finish the game and, win or lose, tell him he and Rex are splitting first-team snaps over the bye.

In my opinion McNabb needs a wake-up call as much as Lichensteiger, Rabach and Davis.

What's weird is that Shanny keeps playing Galloway, which is essentially the same as playing with 10 men on offense. The guy is useless at this point. Let Banks play WR. He can't be any less effective than JG.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Even Lichtensteiger's weighed in.

Dude, you of all people shouldn't bite the hand that's feeding you.

Anyhow, Shanny's brilliant move has turned out to be quite the morale-booster in the lockerroom, eh?

Posted by: p1funk | November 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------
"Use it. Use it. USE IT!!!"

--Wesley Snipes in "Blade: Trinity"

Use it Donovan. No better way to shut Shanahan and the rest of this blog up than to go up against your old Eagles mates on MNF and play lights out ball. Use it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Morale without respect is nothing. See Coughlin, Tom.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 1, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 1, 2010 1:29 PM

I think that they would have called one of the other three guys who jumped…..refs just happened to say it was Daniels. I read that LFLetcher said that the center moved the ball. I noticed that 4 guys jumped and wondered why the announcers didn’t say anything.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 1, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Way to go coach....all that leadership stuff is overrated anyways.

Posted by: TWISI | November 1, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 1, 2010 1:29 PM

Another hose job by the ref.

This from Keim:

Phil Daniels has been excellent in a reserve role. But he committed a major gaffe by jumping offsides on a field goal attempt, leading to a Lions touchdown. However, replays showed that the long snapper flinched, which is why two other Redskins jumped as well.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 1, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

yeah mack, you're right, they did the EXACTLY what they should have done...perfect game plan.....

i love the logic of "dock wasn't active"...because I mean, Kory has just been a rock, an absolute mauler, an impenetrable wall in pass pro....he absolutely deserved to take Docks place...

you still don't account for rolling mcnabb out of the quickly collapsing pocket, but thats ok...they did everything perfectly....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 1, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 1, 2010 1:20 PM

Posted by: mack1 | November 1, 2010 1:31 PM |

cosign

Posted by: hessone | November 1, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"Teammates still surprised at Donovan McNabb's benching"

Wake up call, meet your definition.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The only thing they're waking up to is how big a donkey their head coach can be with some of his decisions.

Posted by: p1funk | November 1, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

LET'S BE CAREFUL HERE PEOPLE!

This organization has mis-invested into aging employees for years. Don't get me wrong, McNabb is the best QB on this team, but let's not crown him yet. He's been wildly inconsistent behind a poor O-line.

I didn't agree with the benching, but I don't think we owe McNabb a committment, as he doesn't owe us one either.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 1, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Morale without respect is nothing. See Coughlin, Tom.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 1, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

True. I guess Shanny really showed them who the boss is out there. That will teach the team to never ever disrespect him again.

...wait a minute. What the heck are you talking about?

Posted by: p1funk | November 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 1, 2010 1:40 PM

They weren't even watching the game...it was simply a commercial for thrilling Game 4 of Baseball's World Series.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The good news is McNabb will be fired up for Philly. And the Skins are still in the hunt in the NFC.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm right Greg, after all I'm arguing with you. Again, using the roll-out doesn't make DMAC more accurate or help Fred catch the ball. And FYI: you can't list a player as inactive, then activate him during the game.

Posted by: mack1 | November 1, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

LET'S BE CAREFUL HERE PEOPLE!

Posted by: rickyroge
----------------
We've already invested quite a bit in the form of high draft picks. It would have been nice to hold on to those if you weren't sure if DMc was the guy. You don't go taking fliers with 2nd round picks.

Posted by: AdamCr | November 1, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

wow....I don't even...thats simply a stunning response.....ufb......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 1, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 1, 2010 1:47 PM

True. And it’s nice to be in November and still have meaningful games on the schedule. I know that the “expression” talks about meaningful December games, but for us Skins fans, meaningful November games are a nice-to-have.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 1, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | November 1, 2010 1:48 PM

Let me guess, Hessone cosigns this.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 1, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

The only problem I have with benching McNabb is that it will take the focus off the real problem. THE PLAYERS! The offensive line is painful to watch. Rabach is too old and too slow. Heyer has his head up his @ss. Willimas was beat time after time. Put Grossman in (right or wrong) and same thing...no blocking, sack, fumble. A quarterback needs blocking, a running game, and receivers that can out run coverages...and oh..can catch. Mcnabb might not be the answer but he is not our biggest problem.

Where was our defense in the second half. I understand that if our offense could get a couple first downs our defense wouldn't be out there as much but you got to ba able to stop someone. Both Stafford and 81 had CAREER days against us. We cant stop ANYONE! And when we do the offense goes 3 and out. We are a total team disaster.

We will spend the next 2 weeks talking about Shanahan pulling McNabb but the real focus needs to be on a rostor of players that are over matched, careless and are simply outplayed each and every week.

The players should focus on playing. Focus on preparing themselves to be better then the guy they line up against.

Posted by: mike110 | November 1, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

kerz, give it a second....but yeah, thats soon to happen....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Whoever came up with bye weeks = NERD!

Whoever got rid of the TWO bye week schedule = GENIUS.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 1, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I hate to break it to you, but if we go to an 18 game schedule they will probably add another bye!!! NERDS!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

'SURPRISE' seems to be the operative word used most by the players when queried regarding McNABB's benching. That to me is ominous. To me, it's a word used to mask true feelings. To me, it sounds suspiciously like 'UNWARRENTED." But that's just me.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 1, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

For all the people who were acting like Shanahan was above criticism and questioning, I have have four words for you:

'I told you so.'

Is Shanahan better than Zorn? Hells yes! Does that mean he is incapable of making bad coaching decisions? HELLS NO!

The offensive line? SUCKING! The receivers? SUCKING! The quarterback play? SUCKING! The play-callling? SUCKING! The offense as a whole? MOTHERFHUCKING SUCKING!

I want to know where are all the knee padded chicken-sh*t-receiving-from-Shanahan-eats-it-like-chicken-salad fans are at? Where are you psps23, Diesel44?!?!?! Bring your asses out here and defend your boy on THIS one!

I said it all the way back when they first got McNabb that by acquiring him they were in a 'win now' mode, once again instead of trying to rebuild.

I said that was the wrong way to go.

Looking at the pass protection in preseason and the first few games of this season, I was convinced that pass protection would be a problem, which would be further accelerated by switching out offensive linemen.

People at the time, like they do with everything Mike Shanahan lapped it up like my dog does my beer. They gave the "He's won two super bowls", and my personal favorite: "I'm more inclined to trust Mike Shanahan than some internet blogger" argument.

Eight weeks in, is Shanahan still that "middle-of-the-year-sexy-chic" transfer you had in high school?

Some of you need to wake up and stop using the "it's better than last year" argument.

You know what was also really, really good?

The first 8 games of 2008... under Jim Zorn.

Again, Shanahan isn't AND NEVER WAS above any criticism or questioning. I think some of the recent happenings are evidence of that. Let's not forget, dude was Axel Foly'd from his last job.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 1, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be a looooooooong 2 weeks. I am already sick of this.

I am going to stick to looking forward to the Iggles and pending matchups with the G-Spots and one more beatdown of the Cowbiotches.

Man, lighten up everyone. This team is still in the "If you presented me with this record last year" perspective.

If last year, you gave me the schedule for this year and said we'd be 4-4 at the bye, I'd ask you to pass me a little of what you were smoking.

We're ahead of the game and the defense is playing better in spite of the personnel.

Happiest person on the Skins today is Haney. No one is talking about him at all.

Maybe Shanny did that on purpose. He is crazy like a fox.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 1, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Go crawl back into your tree stand greg. We'll let you know when it's time to vote Derrick Dockery into your own personal hall of fame.

Posted by: mack1 | November 1, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the benching. Let's be honest, McNabb or not, we still lose that game. Do you think the O-line is suddenly going to learn how to block late in the game? McNabb was getting sacked on a 3-man rush. Pathetic.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | November 1, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow we are back in this place again? Didn't expect to be. Getting beat by a young talented Lions team, well thats the NFL. What we got going on now is Redskins Drama City....or as I refer to it "the norm" during the Snyder years.

I think the benching (given timing, upcoming bye week, Rex...) was one of the dumbest moves I have seen by a head coach in awhile. My only explanation is he was so seething with understandable anger over the INT, that Shanny wasnt thinking clearly.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 1, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge
----------------

Posted by: AdamCr | November 1, 2010 1:49 PM |
----------------

not too mention the pick JBrown is going to cost us. what I don't understand is what the redskins are after here. is it win now or rebuild ? if it's a rebuild then they're off to a bad start.

Posted by: hessone | November 1, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flip_Flop | November 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

To me the most annoying sound is the sound flip flops make when someone is walking in them. Is that why you made that your User Id RETARD? Oops, that's Hess's name, I'll think of another for you!

Posted by: monk811 | November 1, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

...wait a minute. What the heck are you talking about?

Posted by: p1funk | November 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

What don't you understand about being careless with the football and making good football decisions? McNabb tossed that pick and then followed it up with a sack on 4th and 10.

I mean, those are the two things you say don't do.

"Ok, Donovan, run this play, but don't force it.... YOU MOTHER SJKing IDIOT!"

"Ok, Donovan, run this play, but for Christ sakes don't take a sack... GOD SJK SON OF A!!!"

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 1, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Whoever came up with bye weeks = NERD!

Whoever got rid of the TWO bye week schedule = GENIUS.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 1, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 1, 2010 1:54 PM

Quit it monk...we're being annoying...or at least thats what hessone's alter ego thinks.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 1, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget, dude was Axel Foly'd from his last job.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 1, 2010 1:55 PM |

So was Belichick. So what?

Posted by: beep-beep | November 1, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

will do mack, and let me know when Kory Lichenstiger makes a block...any block...

He can't carry Dock's jock strap....keep telling yourself that this was the right move....

you a vegan by any chance?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 1, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I dont' know if anybody noticed but at one point during the game when the Redskins had the ball Kyle Shannahan can be see on the sideline saying "What's he doing?" My interpretation was that he didnt' like something that was going on on the field, like the formation or play being called.

I know the world of gossip is really exciting, god knows it keeps Jason Reid employed. But I wonder what anybody is picking up on the practise field. Let's pretend the Post has sports reporters, maybe they could find out whether or not there is real happiness amongst the offensive coaching staff with McNabb. Is it possible that there has been tension there for some time? I wouldn't be surprised, after all the talk about a quarterback controversy didn't start with Jason Reid and the Post. It was planted, in all likelihood, by the coaching staff in the papers.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | November 1, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

beep beep = litchensomething explains the problems with OL.

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 1, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | November 1, 2010 1:57 PM
------------------------------------------
I don't get why you guys are so down on Dockery. The guy is a big lumbering offensive lineman who was great for Joe Gibbs offense. Unfortunately, not running that anymore, but the guy is the same as he has ever been and I have to believe he can block better than Lichtensteiger. Is he a perfect fit? No. Would he give us a better chance of winning? Probably.

Lost in all of this McNabb hub-bub is the fact that starting running back 2.0 pulled up lame with a bad hammy. Will Torain be back in two weeks? It doesn't sound like Portis will be and Simpson is working off a bad hammy as well...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 1, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Zorn didn't even make boo boo's like that....what were they thinking...

Posted by: corebanks1940 | November 1, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | November 1, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, good thing this is a free country and I can say whatever I damn well please, guess they have 2 options:
1. ignore me

AND

2. like it!

Posted by: monk811 | November 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 1, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------

Teams like the Steelers, Colts, and Pats have proven that those goals are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they are tied at the hip.

Who was the last team to win the SB that 'loaded up' or 'bought' a SB? For all the noise made by the Vikings with Farve/Moss/Allen, the Cowboys with TO/Pacman, the Eagles with Javon Kearse/Asanti Samuel/TO, Redskins with Haynesworth/McNabb/Portis/Brunell/Lloyd/Archuleta/etc, etc, Chicago with Cutler/Peppers...

There are no shortcuts. You have to build through the draft, get rid of overpriced players, and - perhaps - accept a year when your WRs are young (Colts '09), your defense is young (Pats '10), or your QB is young (Steelers '06), or your oline is young (Steelers '09).

I think Shanahan get's a pass for the McNabb trade because JC just wasn't a good fit for the FACE of the franchise (though I feel he can provide good QB play at the NFL level). Brown... we got him for a reasonable price, so I don't consider that a terrible trade.

Moving forward, I'd expect to see us hang onto more draft picks and build with the rookies and hungry FA's

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Way to go coach....all that leadership stuff is overrated anyways.

Posted by: TWISI | November 1, 2010 1:40 PM

Co-sign.

Posted by: Jeff_George| November 1, 2010 2:30

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | November 1, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Forget everything McNabb has done prior to this season (what have you done for me lately?)...you are looking at a mediocre QB who misses a LOT of open throws and has made a LOT of bad decisions through 8 games. Completely within Shanahan's right as head coach to bench McNabb and see if Grossman could provide a spark. This decision sent an important message: no player is above being benched for poor performance.

Posted by: Realist22 | November 1, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

While I hear you and agree with you, if that's the case, then we also need to bench Rabach and Lichtensteiger. Bad QB play notwithstanding, I'd bench those two first.

Posted by: stwasm | November 1, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I could have sworn that the REAL reason the Redskins lost was the pathetic excuse of a seconday that they have. Hall is a good ballplayer, but the other three are subs on most teams. The Post should have a giveaway contest for each game, winner has to guess:

1) the number of interceptions that Rogers will drop,

2)the number of coverage mistakes that Moore will make

3) the nnumber of big hits that Landry will make, MINUS the number of simple pass plays he is unable to defend.

Trifects winner gets a new car.

Posted by: 54465446 | November 1, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Benching McNabb shocked the team? Hey, the fans don't give a rat's a*s. What ought to shock these overpaid losers is their totally mediocre play, not that the coach benched a quarterback who threw a stupid interception at a critical moment in the game. You lost to the LIONS, you jerks. The offensive line looked like a bunch of folding chairs (McNabb was sacked, what, 6 times!). Phillip Daniels ought to be cut immediately for his boneheaded offside penalty that gave the Lions 6 points instead of 3. And Reed Doughty ought to be confined to the bench for a while for his stupid penalty that also cost the Redskins 6 points. Did it ever occur to these lunkheads that Shanhan wouldn't have been in the position he was in if they had actually done their freaking jobs. What a bunch of whiners.

Posted by: Bob22003 | November 1, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Go Jason Campbell!!! total class and whippin' @ss!

Posted by: willis31 | November 1, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey mack1
BeantownGreg seems to have 3 better ideas than Shanahan. Saw NOTHING of any "genius" idea from the sideline.
Even the morons in the pressbox mentioned rolling out as a way to slow the rush. When you do the same thing over and over and expect different results, that's teh definition of insanity. Anyone for locking up the Shannies for their own safety.
I say, have a team meeting and invite the Shannies, and only the team walks away.

Posted by: pjohn2 | November 1, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

McNabb's doing just fine and should be given the entire season to fine-tune the passing and running games for the Redskins for this year and the next.

David P. McKnight
Durham, N.C.

Posted by: Proctor2 | November 1, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid please tell the redskins that Minnesota just waived Randy Moss, we need him bad to upen up the field for Santana and Anthony Armstrong. Go get him now!!!!

Posted by: lilsteve02828 | November 1, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan never struck me as a punk. But pulling McNabb from the game with two minutes to go says to me he is panicking. The Skins have already won 4 games this year equaling the total they won all of last year. By pulling McNabb the way he did he sent alarm bells through out the locker room. Making it almost impossible for the skins to recover from this loss. It's one loss, take it make changes and keep it moving. Now everyone is spooked and for what Rex Grossman, give me a break. We could've kept Jim Zorn if we were gonna get this kind of coaching!Thought he was the old wise one. NOT

p.s.
The Skins were out coached yesterday period. The Lions had an answser for everything we did yesterdy. And Kyle's play calling sucks!

Posted by: wardt30 | November 1, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Isnt it funny how bloggers always make excellent NFL coaches on Mondays? Why arent we all working in the NFfreeknL? Acccording to these blogs you guys know more on Saturday than the coaches and players know on Sunday. Quit your jobs and go into coaching. Hey, if you are good at Madden you must be good at the real thing.

Posted by: ged0386 | November 1, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Bring back "Zorn's Shadow," aka Mr. Smith.

Posted by: wp318676 | November 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Go Jason Campbell!!! total class and whippin' @ss!

Posted by: willis31 | November 1, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

He didn't get pulled from the game. - he got emasculated in front of the team! Sure am glad we gave up a #2 and a #3 for a guy who's here one year. Great investment!!

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | November 1, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I thought once Danny hired a professional GM and an experienced coach, all problems would disappear. You mean it's more complicated than that?

Posted by: sonny2 | November 1, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Coach Shanahan benched McNabb because he thought it would give the Redskins a better chance to win the game. It's the coach's job to win football games. He surely knew this would be ontroversial, and knew it was risky if Grossman made things worse, which he did in a spectacular way, and knew it would be potentially demoralizing to the players, which it apparently was. However, I assume his motivation was simply to win the game.

The Redskins don't look to me that they have the talent to be a top team. They need at least another draft, if for no other reason than to get the guys to play a 3-4. Well, they also need receivers and linemen, other players, and it wouldn't be a problem if they got younger as well. They'll need a franchise QB in a few years as well. They're doing pretty well given the shape Vinnie Ceratto let them in. They are 4-4 and could easily be 2-6 at this stage.

So I'm doing something else on Sundays the rest of the season. Maybe I'll turn the TV back on in another year or two.

Posted by: dcc1968 | November 1, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

don't understand the issue here. grossman is a much better passer and passing is the only way you come back to win! duh!

Posted by: jimsr121 | November 1, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan is getting too old to coach. He's lost it. This atmosphere is too much for him. He is grandstanding and really is an overrated coach. Racism perhaps? If so it's not conscionable. He's just getting senile.

Posted by: kentonsmith | November 1, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I will give votes of confidence to both McNabb and Shanahan, even though I do feel that Shanahan made a mistake in benching McNabb. If anything Grossman was nothing but gross, and showed that it is useless to know the offense if you cannot implement it. I also feel that you have to let people learn by doing. McNabb needs to be in there with the 2-minute offense. Let it be his mistakes that are being made so that he can learn from them. He may be on old dog, but he impresses me as one that can be taught new tricks.

As for Shanahan as the 'Skin's coach: You must respect someone who already has the team playing fairly well. 4-4 is not that great, but it beats 2-6. This is an expeienced coach was has had a year to reflect on why he was fired from Denver. Often having to reassess things like that makes a huge, positive difference. That does not mean that Shanahan will not make mistakes. After all, no one is perfect. Instead what I want to see is for the positive things that he does to outweigh the negative. So far, he is doing that, even with the benching of McNabb.

Posted by: ems57fcva | November 1, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

If I'm McNabb, I'm out at the end of the year. If they want me to stay, they can pay me franchise-player bucks. I'd do one year at a time, and they can franchise me every time.

Egohan has insulted the players, fans and media twice in the last two days, first by saying Grossman was "the better option" (which explains why he had zero snaps leading into the game?) and then citing McNabb's cardiovascular fitness?

Please. I'm no McNabb fan, but I'm completely on his side in this one. Shanahan's behavior is that of a young child who screwed up and doesn't have the maturity or class to admit a mistake. What little optimism was created with the early-season wins is gone.

Nice going, Egohan.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | November 1, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

See? Somebody needs to explain to the offensive line WHAT exactly is "going on."

"See there? The guy in front of you? He's trying to get PAST you and slam McNabb's 34 year old ass onto the turf as hard as he can.

YOUR job is to stop him from getting there. At least slow him up, OK? For 3 seconds would be great. If need be, HOLD him.

Here, watch Casey Rabach... See that? Do the Opposite. Got it?"

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 1, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

With almost ANY other QB in there, yesterday, he gets hurt and we lose by more.

Yeah, McNabb does boneheaded stuff. We've been on the receiving end of his gifts for years.

But, in the end, he generally whipped our asses, right? Yes.

Because he's damn good.

Our "offense" to this point needs to be pulled from the game.

Running game? Nope.
Blocking scheme? Nope.
Playcalling fits game situation? Nope.
WRs involved? Nope.

So, let's work on the major problem here, shall we?

Kyle Shanahan:
"McNabb... When you drop back, you have a tendency to bring your feet together. Well, I read a coaching book one time that says you have to keep them shoulder width apart, OK? So, let's work on that."

McNabb:
"Um, Kyle, yeah, I been doing it this way with great success for a while now. Let's get some more roll outs and play action in the game plan... you know, so I'm not a sitting duck behind our d0uche bag O Line?"

Kyle:
"Hey, pal. My dad says I'm the boss, so, you know, you better listen to me. Now let's get those feet apart, shall we?"

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 1, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

It's a shocker because no one on the Post, except maybe you, has done anything but blow Shanahan and his kid since he came to town. Bruce Allen, too. "Grown ups," "discipline,," "football guys." Please. If this latest arrogant genius does any better than 12-20 - see Spurrier, Gibbs2, Zorn, it'll be a miracle. And why did you think he would?

Sorry that everyone who writes you is an anonymous idiot.

sdaley

Posted by: bikobiko | November 1, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Catching some of the Sports radio today (980) and the post game show on TV last night (Comcast Sports Nite) I am now starting to believe that the benching of McNabb may go down as the biggest injustice in the history of mankind. Oh, the outrage. McNabb is such a prized posession. He has been almost flawless. He is the victim! Terrible O-Line, no quality receivers, bad play calling, the worst owner in football, stupid (and possibly racist) coaches. And nary a word about the play, or lack of it, from the defendant, Mr. McNabb. Because you have played 11 years, and very erratically over those 11 years, you hold an exemption card from being benched? PLEASE! In 8 games McNabb has had 2 decent quarters. His stats, as bad as they are, don't really tell the story. How many 3rd and 8's have we seen we he throws a completed pass to a covered receiver for 4 yards? Can you say padded stats? Is it possible to overlook all of the attempts this year where he DID have time to throw to an open receiver and that pesky inaccuracy bug kept biting him. Enough of the drama. He is not a top tier QB (or middle tier any longer). Please don't feed into this. He pouted in Philly and we are going to see it here to. Grossman is not the guy you want waiting in the wings, but for coaches to want something more out of their starting QB than what they have been getting is understandable. Man up!

Posted by: dwhitemd | November 1, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dwhitemd | November 1, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan implying McNabb isnt smart enough to handle the offense has clear racial overtones. Shanahan is a horrible coach who will win a smaller percentage of games here than Zorn did....ie less than 37.5%.

Posted by: wturner1 | November 1, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wturner1 | November 1, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dwhitemd | November 1, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Definitely a bad coaching decision that probably costs us the game. I think holding Haynesworth out of the Colts game was equally poor. I still support Shanny but he should stop making excuses for terrible decisions.

Posted by: jjredskins | November 1, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan sucked with the Raiders, Broncos and Redskins... do you see a pattern here?

Posted by: Neisha_H | November 1, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

But whatever Shanahan says publicly, there are growing indications that privately, he just doesn't think much of McNabb.

The latest indication comes from ESPN's Chris Mortensen, who reported Monday night that both Shanahan and his son and offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan, have been unhappy with the way McNabb practices. According to Mortensen, McNabb doesn't practice at the tempo that the Redskins' coaching staff wants to see from him.

And Mortensen says Shanahan even considered benching McNabb after the Redskins' win over the Eagles, a game in which the Redskins beat McNabb's former team despite McNabb going just 8-for-19 for 125 yards.

Mortensen calls Shanahan's displeasure with McNabb "The worst-kept secret in the league." After Sunday's benching, it's not a secret at all.

Posted by: butche106 | November 1, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Yet another messy Redskins divorce. SMH

Posted by: Neisha_H | November 1, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Redskin fan since 1969...
1/ Tradition is great, but i am tired of seeing grown men dressed as female hogs...
2/ Is it just me, or does it seem like every week the TV commentators for the redskins games hate the skins and like seeing them play poorly...
3/ Coach after coach...New free agent after free agent, bust after bust, and the story goes on...
4/ Rollercoaster of hopes is what we all ride on, one week up and the next week, back down...off-season high, in-season low...
5/ The book is written by the coach, owned by Daniel and read by the players...all on different pages...
6/ 1 player excells, another exits...
7/ 1 week they catch lightning, the next week, they cannot catch a cold...
8/ We ride the wagon on high and we park it on low
9/ We are fed a field of dreams and a nightmare of failures
10/ Living on the glory of the past and dying on the dissapointments of today and tomorrow...
11/ These are young men making a fortune to play a game we love...some of them could care a less about the game it seems...Just a game? No, not anymore...

Solution-The book must be read and understood by the whole and at the same time, page be page until it becomes them...
Consistent determination to excell and grow as a team, not as one man, but as 1 team...
Character, Class, Discipline, Committment,
Diligence, Skill, Work, hard Work...
Easy, No way...That is what seperates the Great from the Good from the Bad...
This is not rocket science, although i know nothing about rocket science...I do know alot about building a winning team however, not a football team, but the same principals that apply to my winning team it seems, should aslo apply to this football team...
It has been a long time since we fans have had a real team to cheer for...it about time that happened for all of us again...

Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!
Lets go men!! This is it, this is the time of your life!! Make no mistake...This is it...
J

Posted by: bruford | November 2, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"We don't need to be on bended knee waiting for McNabb to make a decision on whether HE wants to be here. This organization has been smart to wait to invest millions of dollars into a 34 year old (proven) QB."

I feel you, and I can agree to a point...
The Skins have given away a huge chunk of draft choices -- including a 3rd or 2nd rounder for for McNabb. And what NCAA QB's are we likely to get next year that are sure-fire "franchise QB's" Newton? Ponder? Crist? I'm not being facetious, but seriously who is coming out that we can groom to be the next coming of Peyton Manning? Moreover, where's the line that would protect said forthcoming franchise QB?

"What's weird is that Shanny keeps playing Galloway, which is essentially the same as playing with 10 men on offense."

Good question... everytime the commentators said his name, we lost yards.

Posted by: ClayDoh19 | November 2, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Though I live in the area, I cannot possibly cheer for the DC NFL team until they change their name.

I've been an Eagle fan since my marriage to a Philly fella, and admired McNabb tremendously there. In addition to his great arm and team leadership skills, particularly admired his grace and dignity in the face of Rush Limbaugh's racist on-air attack.

It bugs me that I cannot cheer for him here. I hope he gets traded to a team I can respect, so that I can be his full-fledged fan again.

Posted by: ankhorite | November 2, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse