Tony Romo was among those surprised by Donovan McNabb trade

Many in the NFL were surprised that the Philadelphia Eagles traded Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb to the Redskins in April, and Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo was among the group.

"Well, you're always surprised that people trade within the division," Romo said. "But I think that Philadelphia probably felt strong feelings toward McNabb, and they wanted to put him somewhere where he wanted to go. I don't know. I wasn't privy to any information, but Donovan's a great quarterback."

Romo expects McNabb to provide a major challenge for the Cowboys in the season opener Sunday night at FedEx Field.

"I'm excited," Romo said. "I'll tell you, when the schedule came out ... it's a great place [FedEx] to play up there," Romo said. Redskins "fans are passionate, and with the new system and regime they've got up there, it's gonna make for a really fun game."

By Jason Reid  |  September 12, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pre-game reading list
Next: Tony Romo says Cowboys aren't bothered by preseason woes

Comments

I'm nervous on game days. My belly hurts.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 12, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Albert_Haynesworth = Vic1

Posted by: beep-beep | September 12, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

My opponent said football is a really fun game!

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 12, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey beep beep. Game day is finally here. Where have you been ? It's been me against the trolls the last few day's. I could've used a little back up you know.

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Monk811=Troll Killa also

Posted by: monk811 | September 12, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

One of those links says we would have made a run at Marc Bulger had we not gotten McNabb. Win, lose, or draw getting McNabb spared us that potential disaster...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2010 9:00 AM |

That's an easy co-sign brown.

Can't say Bulger has done a thing except look like a starting back up QB.

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

It's game day!!! Eff Tony Romo. Eff the troll Albert_Haynesworth. Let's go Skins. HTTR.

Posted by: TWISI | September 12, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Romo, 2 int's, 1 fumble, 4 sacks, and a ride back to the locker room on a cart, c/o Brian Orakpo.

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know when the release the in-active list?

Posted by: Spanglerg | September 12, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Uh oh. DeAngelo said the team doctor is looking for me.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 12, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know when the release the in-active list?

Posted by: Spanglerg | September 12, 2010 9:41 AM

About an hour before game time

Posted by: TWISI | September 12, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Whew. He said an extra cart would be reserved for me.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 12, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Wait.. is Romo auditioning for a job here? Hey, Haynesworth- get him!

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 12, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Albert_Haynesworth = Vic1

Posted by: beep-beep | September 12, 2010 9:06 AM

IDK beeps, to me he sounds like the truth11.

F dallas and the trolls that plague this site.

HTTR!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 12, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey beep beep. Game day is finally here. Where have you been, it's been me against the trolls the last few day's. I could've used a little back up you know.

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 9:18 AM

-----------

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 9:22 AM

----------

Your new friend is desperately trying to get your attention, TE.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 12, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Your new friend is desperately trying to get your attention, TE.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 12, 2010 10:12 AM |

Troll work at it's finest. Go back under the bridge and stay there, troll.

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

-----------

Romo only thinks it's a great place to play because he knows the stadium will be equally divided among Redskins and Cowboys fans.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 12, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Ewwwwwww.

He called me a TROLL!

How horrible.

Take a walk, bud -- get some fresh air. You have eight hours to relax.

HTTR!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 12, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

So true...F Deion:

Haynesworth rant ignores Deion's own history
Posted by Mike Florio on September 12, 2010 8:25 AM ET
Driving back from Florio Jr.'s middle-school football game on Thursday night (they lost, 33-20, to a team that included a couple of guys who shave . . . three times a day) while trying to get home in time for the start of the Vikings-Saints game while also trying to obey all (or at least most) traffic laws, I listened to the simulcast of NFL Network's Total Access on Sirius NFL Radio.

Rich Eisen led a discussion with Deion Sanders and Marshall Faulk regarding Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, and Deion Sanders offered up this strong take regarding Haynesworth: "What is wrong with this kid? Marshall, whatever happened to the day when we got paid and we felt like we had a responsibility, not only to the organization but to our teammates to allow them to know that, man, I earned this money, matter of fact I should be paid more than this and I'm gonna prove it to not only those guys but the fans and my family? Whatever happened to that day?"

Though we've tried in the wake of last year's Michael Crabtree fiasco to look to the good that Deion brought to the field and now brings to NFL Network broadcasts, he has ignored that he once pulled a very similar stunt -- to the same team!

In 2000, Sanders signed a multi-year deal with the Redskins. He received an $8 million signing bonus. After the first year, the Redskins fired head coach Norv Turner and hired Marty Schottenheimer. Like Haynesworth after the switch from Jim Zorn to Mike Shanahan, Deion didn't want to play for Schottenheimer, even though that signing bonus gave Deion a responsibility to show up for work in 2001, and beyond.

Eventually, the Redskins and Sanders worked out a deal in which he kept most of his signing bonus (even though when it was paid the idea was he'd play more than a year), and Deion agreed to retire from the NFL.

Amazingly, Deion tried only one year later to renege on the agreement and unretire to join the Oakland bandwagon for a Super Bowl run. With Schottenheimer gone, the Redskins agreed to release Sanders from the reserve-retired list. But since the move came after the trading deadline, Deion had to pass through waivers.

Coincidentally, Schottenheimer was coaching the Chargers. And Schottenheimer's new team claimed his contract. And Schottenheimer's message to Deion may have been this: "Whatever happened to the day when we got paid and we felt like we had a responsibility not only to the organization but to our teammates to allow them to know that, man, I earned this money, matter of fact I should be paid more than this and I'm gonna prove it to not only those guys but the fans and my family?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Chia_Pet , did you ever consider growing up ?

The post you referenced came from 2 different threads. Like you never posted on a thread that ended and reposted on the new one.

Give it a break and stop with the dumb ass troll nonsense.

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 12, 2010 10:12 AM |

Troll work at it's finest. Go back under the bridge and stay there, troll.

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 10:29 AM

Hey, hess, you're playing with fire. Chia_Pet has some powerful juju.

Remember when he came up here the other night and wished that I would get two terrible diseases? Leprosy and hangnail or halitosis?

Well, I didn't get them, but I did have a headache two days later and the dog had some stomach unrest. So, I think that the death ray he focused on me got close.

If your car doesn't start tomorrow, you might want to hit the "report abuse" button so the WaPo will send a tow truck and bill Chia_Pet.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 12, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2010 10:37 AM |

Unfortunatly, those days are long gone. We all know that the modern athlete thinks he is entitled, and that has ruined sports in general. Thankful for athlete's like Brian Orakpo. He came into the league, he works hard, and keeps his mouth shut. Hopefully he'll continue to demonstrate to our youth what being a professional is all about. HTTR!

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 12, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse
__________________________________________

The question then, though, will be whether Chia_Pet can pay for that bill in bonus points or if "As seen on TV" stock is accepted as payment.

Posted by: --swb | September 12, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

.... wish it wasn't a night game.. don't think I can make it til 8. Excited but very nervous. I don't what what to expect AT ALL. Scary feeling.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 12, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The day y'all have dreaded is finally here!

In the Cowboys, the Deadskins/Cadavers play a real team with real players that utilize a real scheme. This means you can no longer hide behind the false bravado of the preseason, talking up your old (Galloway) and your tiny (Banks). Stated differently, your asswhuppin' is upon you! LMAO!!

As stated by a prominent Cowboys fan earlier, tonight we'll take over your stadium and the hearts of your girlfriends/wives. We'll give them back to you after we're finished doing what we have to do, so don't hate! LMAO!!

When I return to Deadskins Insider on Monday, I will take it easy on y'all (if you don't make excuses). After all, you're just a bunch of brainwashed fools who don't know any better. Daddy got to you before you could think for yourself. Gotta cut you some slack for that, I guess.

How in the world did y'all get used to the stench of this DI board? It really would make a skunk cry his heart out! LMAO!!

Peace, Y'all.

Hell...To The...Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | September 12, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else going to the game tonight? I'm showing up sometime around 5:00 I think...never been to a Cowboys - Redskins game. Gonna be good!

I think the Redskins running game will get off to an ok start - not terrible but not dominant. The Skins will use a quick passing game while the o-line continues to work on gelling and working together to keep hands off of McNabb. They'll mix in a few deep routes to keep the Dallas D honest and ultimately have a few successful scoring drives - one in the first half and two in the second half.

I think on D, the Skills will be blitzing A LOT. I can see 'Los coming off the edge two or three times on a corner blitz and a few all out "monster" blitzes. I think the Cowboys are going to complete a few long passes on the Skins early while the Skins D settles down, but by the 2nd quarter I don't think the Cowboys offense will be doing much. Towards the end of the game, they'll put together one final solid scoring drive to keep things interesting, but ultimately it won't be enough.

Skins win 21 - 17.

(8% of this will likely end up being correct, but it's fun to get my thoughts on the game typed out.)

Posted by: --swb | September 12, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

one of the refs already tried to flag landry for a personal foul and the game hasn't even started yet

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 12, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse