While tweaking McNabb's throwing motion, Redskins stress consistency

Earlier in the week, Rick Maese wrote about the Redskins' attempts to alter the mechanics of quarterback Donovan McNabb's throwing motion -- a difficult task given that McNabb played one way for 11 years in the NFL. As Coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday, "We're asking him to do things he hasn't done."

"A lot of it has to do with footwork," Shanahan continued. "It's like a golfer with a golf swing. You keep on tweaking it and sometimes it's working and other times it's not working. You're constantly working on your mechanics - if it's footwork, speed of the drop, depth of the drop or whatever type of offense you're running."

Though McNabb downplayed the issue earlier in the week, both Mike Shanahan and his son, Kyle Shanahan, acknowledged later this week that they want more consistency from McNabb - who ranks 26th in the NFL with a 58.1 percent completion rate and 24th in the league with a 78.8 passer rating.

"Donovan is capable of throwing the ball as well as anyone in the world," Kyle Shanahan said. "The thing that I think guys get in trouble with who are as good an athlete as he is, you aren't always in position to throw. A lot of times, you're in a position to make 11 guys miss running around, making some big-time plays."

Through six games with the Redskins, McNabb has made several of those plays. He has 10 completions of at least 25 yards. But the Shanahans believe that with more consistent mechanics, McNabb will not only make the big plays, but more of the little ones as well. The trick is to get McNabb to shore up his footwork and widen his base consistently, but not take away his mobility in the pocket, a skill that has helped him avoid numerous sacks this season.

"You got guys like Peyton Manning, who is never thinking about running because he can't," Kyle Shanahan said. "He throws the same every time. His feet are always under him. They are perfect.

"There's a fine line, though. Usually, guys who move around a lot, they are not as automatic. When you get caught in between running and throwing, that is when you lose your accuracy. Just the more we can work with his base -- his center of gravity, being in a throwing position - the more it will help him."

For McNabb, this is not a new issue. His career completion percentage coming into the season was 59 percent. His most accurate year was 2004, when he completed 64 percent of his throws - and the Eagles went to the Super Bowl. But over the course of his career, he has had more seasons in which he completed less than 60 percent of his passes (seven) than he has with better than 60 percent (four).

By Barry Svrluga  | October 22, 2010; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haslett: Carlos Rogers 'should be leading the league in interceptions'
Next: Mike Sellers says he'll play vs. Chicago

Comments

There we go...now that's reporting!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that when I read the title to this thread, I cannot help but hear Dexter Manley's voice?

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"The Bears made Peppers their No. 1 priority in free agency, and they lured him from the Carolina Panthers with a six-year contract. In the first three years of the deal, Peppers is guaranteed $42 million.
And he's worth it, Coach Lovie Smith said."

see Shan-a-cool

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 22, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

He's a good quarterback, but it is frustrating as hell to watch him throw those ground balls and miss open receivers.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | October 22, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Rogers should lead league in ints:

he should rub some polident on his hands I think the old coach has plenty

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 22, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Tweaking mcNabbs throwing motion = zorn-a-Han

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 22, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Gentlemen,

I have a question, that I know will be criticized, but I decided to ask it on here anyway. Do you think we should draft a QB next year? Do you think we should draft a WR next year? I know your gonna ask why are we discussing the draft already…but I was just wondering. Because looking at the early draft board, both of those positions may be the deepest coming into the draft in years. I think we could draft both a QB and a WR. Maybe a WR in the 1st round and a QB 2nd, but I just can’t see us letting an opportunity pass us by. The QB list should be deep even in the 2nd round…so is the WR list. But should the Skins do that?

Also, if you look at the early free agency list, O line can and must be addressed at that time. There will be a bunch of younger O linmen in Free Agency.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 22, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The better our O-line gets, the better our QBs will look.

We're not there yet.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Kyle says Manning's stance is perfect?? Well, no kidding. We didn't hurry him ONCE the whole game. His O line protects him like Fort Knox. He never has to move. How is D Nabb ever going to have a perfect stance when Heyer is laying on his back???? Who cares where his feet are, if he completes the pass..You can't change Jim Furyk's ugly swing, but he makes 8 million every year. Leave him alone........

Posted by: Riggo2 | October 22, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but unlike poopy I don't take the laptop in with me.

The other monks told me they are tired of the Bud...asked me to replace them with Miller Lite...hope that's alright?

Damn...forgot what my new prediction is already...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

That's ok, I'll just use some of the extra donation money to buy my own Bud, Miller Lite sucks worse than DT11 running routes!

Also, I hope you don't mind it, but I had to hide your hemroid cream. Pokey the Monk saw it and thought it was lip therapy, not a pretty sight!

I can't remember what your prediction was either, guess you'll have to unretire 24-20. It's the Brett Favre of predictions! hehehehe

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | October 22, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Just my opinion but I think the QB class next year is overrated. I see three elite pro ready QBs this year. Mallet, Locker and Luck. I heard that Luck will stay another year and Mallet and Locker might both be top ten.
There are a ton of good WR to draft this year, that prob wont be to popular around here but it might benefit us to draft a WR early even though it would be a luxury compared to some of our more pertinent needs. Also a ton of good RB should come out this year, if we dont snag one I would be shocked.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

He has played horrible the last couple games but HE IS A GOD COMPARED TO jason campbell! DONT MISS jc AT ALL!!! If Dmac would make his throws we would have won more games and if jason campbell was still our QB we would have yet to have a win!!!!!

Posted by: warriorking1112 | October 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | October 22, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I do not think we will draft a WR or a QB above 6/7th rd. next year.

Remember...this 2011 FA crop may be the best in NFL history and we have reset our salary cap issues to 0 with the uncapped year.

At this point nobody knows what the new labor deal will bring, but it's safe to say we will have many chances at good young FAs next off season and we obviously have no problem spending money.

I think we resign #5 and he's the guy for 3 more years, thus allowing us to put a young QB on the back burner for another season.

I look at some of the FA WRS that may be out there and think we may make a play for one of them:

Santonio Holmes
Vincent Jackson
Jacoby Jones (Kyle connection)
Braylon Edwards
Steve Breaston

My take is we will continue to bolster our interior lines on both sides of the ball as well as a mid round RB that Shanahan likes. We also need some youth at LB depending on what happens with Rocky and how much longer the team sees Fletcher staying effective.

Mainly I think we will go for strength up the middle on OFF and DEF.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 22, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 1:44 PM

Three QB's that come to mind, and who I think could sit under the talents of McNabb is (I can't think of the names right now) VTech's QB, Ohio State QB, and Miami QB. Those three guys, I think, have similar talents as McNabb. All of those guys are probably 2nd rounders though, but I think they have potential.

Also, as for WR, I think that has to be a first round pick for us. We need a big, fast reciever. There will be a bunch of those in the draft this year (Julio, AJ...just to name a few)

As for RB, Shanny has never drafted one in the 1st round. In fact the highest he has draft a RB is in the 2nd, and that guy is on our Roster now. But as you said, its a deep draft in RB and in skill postions...Last year it was all O line and D line. I think we can get some playmakers next year.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: warriorking1112 | October 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, somebody just went to Starbucks!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 1:42 PM

That damn Pokey is always gettin in my sh*t...thats what he gets!! I think I called 23-17? It's been a long day...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Vincent Jackson

this is the cat that I want.

VJ
SM
AA

I'll take those three as my starting WR's...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Skins have drafted 4-5 QB's in last 15 years. NONE of them worked out.

In last 11 years since McNabb entered this league only Peyton, Brees, and Brady are playing 10+ years. Others had short success but once the defense adjusted for them, they could not change their skills to adjust for the new defense.

In short, hang on to McNabb and put better O-line and receivers around him, all parties will be happy. Skins pass offense in 8th in the league, Moss is 4th among the receivers; let AA mature and/or get a taller receiver like TO, Skins will be fine.

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 22, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid does not deserve any credit as Barry Svrluga wrote this post.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | October 22, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

McNabb has poor mechanics since he relies almost entirely on arm strength with little follow through. His inaccuracy is not so much his feet but his entire delivery. I guess they need to start somewhere but the feet will help him throw a better deep pass. Won't do much for the dirt balls. I dont see you can play pro QB with so many deficiencies. He can make a big play. But he probably will be gone next year.

Should have gone after Bradford. Much better delivery and accuracy. We won't get that close again to a legitimate franchise QB unless we re-hire Zorn.

Posted by: velocity1 | October 23, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse