Will McNabb, Redskins get to the playoffs?

It should be another busy day on the blog, but while you reach for a second cup of coffee, let's talk polls for a second.

Over at Philly.com, Eagles fans were asked whether their team received enough in return for Donovan McNabb, arguably the best quarterback the city has ever known. Out of 17,000 respondents, nearly 60 percent voted no.

Here at Redskins Insider, you were asked whether the Redskins' trade for McNabb was a smart move. Of the 5,000 respondents, two out of three voted yes.

So let's ask another, shall we?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Rick Maese  |  April 6, 2010; 10:47 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins players feel for Campbell in aftermath of McNabb trade
Next: McNabb, Redskins may not be that close to an extension

Comments

How about we win a division game first?
Maybe score a TD vs Dallas?
Keep it close at home vs Philly & NY?

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 6, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"Will McNabb, Redskins get to the playoffs?"

I'd say McNabb is worth about 6 additional wins and improved offense if the offensive line someone gels.

But who wants just to get into the playoffs?

The better question is McNabb capable of getting the skins--with an improved o-line and turnover driven defense--deep enough into the playoffs to justify the major move to get him?

That no one can answer.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The answer to that question is when do we get an effective offensive lien in front of him?

2010
2011
2012
Never

Posted by: skinball77 | April 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

If we get 2 new GOOD tackles by opening day, we have a chance to be a wild card team.

Any talk above that is wishful thinking.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 6, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Yes, McNabb makes the Skin's an immediate playoff Team.

And, I am selfish, I would love to see Campbell stay as a backup. You never know what can happen in this League.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 6, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow, McNabb BY HIMSELF, without a line, will take the Redskins to the playoffs THIS YEAR? And 42% said that?

So much for having smart fans...luckily, Peter King didn't read this crap before he wrote MMQB...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 6, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"The answer to that question is when do we get an effective offensive line in front of him?"

I still believe the team will find 2 very capable linemen before the season begins.

Too, you have to wonder if McNabb's decision-making will have a major effect on line play.

He won't hold the ball and wait for guys to get completely open.

He'll put the ball where guys can make plays, and if the passing game really improves, the run game follows.

D Mac never played with backs who can get 1,400-1,600 yards.

We yack about McNabb while forgetting about C Portis' possible rejuvenation in an improved offense.

McNabb's accurate passing and a solid running attack is a promise we'd all like to see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 6, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

How about we win a division game first?
Maybe score a TD vs Dallas?
Keep it close at home vs Philly & NY?

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 6, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

lol. Complete a pass for more than 3 yards.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

If Okung drops to us-take him

Otherwise- possible trades

1)Swap with denver @ #11 w/ Branded marshal

We could still get our LT there

2) swap with ravens @ 25 w/ Gaither

Again, we get our LT plus we have a late first, and we can trade down again

If Sue is there, Ravens would be very interested. Denver too

-Discuss

Posted by: imthedude | April 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Playoff or not, I'd be content to see the Redskins playing a game that still matters in mid-December. I'm still simmering over the back to back shellackings last December at home by the Cow-pies and Gnats... including the infamous swinging gate play... Sherm the bingo caller in the press box... and an absolutely disgusting lack of effort on both sides of the ball.

Posted by: Vic1 | April 6, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The redskins are still the worst team in the division. Given that fact, they can't make the playoffs. All those who think that virtually the same team as last year, despite an upgrade at coach and qb, can make the playoffs have short memories. It takes talent and depth win games in the NFL, and this team has very little of either.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | April 6, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Sing Flozell and Levi, Okung.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 6, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm having a really hard time with the fact that people actually think Shanny is not going to improve the line before the season starts...obliviously McNabb by himself is no good to us.

Maybe not vinny...

Posted by: DRJ41 | April 6, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

The question is will we win the Super Bowl!

Posted by: frankjomama | April 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

How about we win a division game first?
Maybe score a TD vs Dallas?
Keep it close at home vs Philly & NY?

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 6, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------

I'd settle for an audible

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 6, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Sing Flozell and Levi, Okung.

Posted by: zjfr2

Yeah, you'll be singing Flozell -- singing Flozell hate once he's responsible for a false start or an unsportsmanlike penalty at a key juncture in the game.

No to Flo. Cowboy be damned, we don't need his "prior to the snap" ass creating 1st and 15.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I say that the skins get around 8-8 this season (if we do something about our offensive line). If we address problems at safety, more o-line, DT, and ILB then I think we've got ourselves a playoff run in 2011!

Posted by: ddrcoaster | April 6, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

The line will be improved, i'd have to believe that if you and I know it needs to be fixed now, then Shanny knows this too....

Let's hope so.

I wonder if they don't think they can improve it mostly through coaching and "smarter" schemes (zone blocking, et cetera)?

Maybe they can and with one or two acquisitions they can make it a solid one.

Of course, the problem has been the lack of depth. When the starting five stayed healthy, the Skins were competitive offensively.

But when they had to go to the bench, it all fell apart.

So, they need both two tackles and a couple/three quality reserves. That's not real easy to acquire at this point.

Posted by: SteveMG | April 6, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

It will probably be a year before things really start to gel. If we can average 21 a game though with our D I think we could slide into a wild card spot.

Posted by: ElPresidente1984 | April 6, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

No extension for #5 yet BEEPS

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 6, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Maybe not vinny...

Posted by: DRJ41

Dap & co-sign.

Exactly what a few of us are trying to say!

People act like they've already passed the draft and ALL of training camp and ALL of pre-season, and behold, we still have the current line.

Don't you think that Shanahan is familiar with the current state of the offensive line? Don't you think he's going to do something about it?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 6, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

You cannot win games without an Offensive line- Football 101- this team is years away from being good until they address that issue. Stop being fooled by FA signings- fight the power- Danny is trying to make you believe his lies again!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 6, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I really cannot stand this nonsense.

We have gone through this every off-season for the past decade: we make a big signing (and, yes, Donovan is better than JC; this is the phenomenon known as "fact"), and the hype immediately begins about playoff/Super Bowl contention. I for one will remain skeptical, and so far in the poll, it appears that a lot of people are too, but 42% saying we make the playoffs still worries me. Albeit 42% is not that high of a percentage for merely saying that the Redskins will make the playoffs (after all, we have, somehow amazingly, gone to the playoffs before under Owner Dumbass), three times in just over a decade with big off-season signings is just unimpressive. No matter what signings, lineman acquisitions, or draft moves the Redskins make, I will make no certainty of playoff contention until I see it with my own eyes. It took an uninspiring decade, but it is clear that we are no Delphic oracle.

Personally, I would discourage such behavior on RI, but it is not my blog.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 6, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I really cannot stand this nonsense.

Personally, I would discourage such behavior on RI, but it is not my blog.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 6, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I really cannot stand this nonsense.

Personally, I would discourage such behavior on RI, but it is not my blog.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 6, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I really cannot stand this nonsense.

Personally, I would discourage such behavior on RI, but it is not my blog.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 6, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

mcnabb or no other qb will make it to the play-offs not with this o-line and if mcnabb is injured grossman is the STARTER". No one should assume that this team will get many draft picks for players on this team it just aint happening other than orapko(who would be able to be traded for a couple of picks)davis, kelly,thomas could get you one pick each maybe carter and cooley but not much else. snyder and cerrato have set this team back 25-30yrs in their 10yr destruction of this team and the trend continues giving up draft picks for aging players. I dont have belief in shanahan because to believe means you don't know,and so far shanahan and allen have shown absolutely nothing as far as addressing the o-line and time is NOT on this teams side.

Posted by: wathu19 | April 6, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 6, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Odds are the line will not be very good next year. I suppose team could find a hidden OL gem in 4th, or perhaps 5th or 7th round, but as things stand now, it's fingers crossed a tackle is drafted at #4. Or fingers crossed we trade for more picks or trade for OL help. I don't believe Redskins will be able to simply sign or claim a veteran tackle to be a mainstay -- that was Vinny's conceit.

And of course there are so many other holes and concerns with this team all of which serves to drag needed attention away from the OL.

Posted by: Pepper5 | April 6, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I read another article about this, when McNabb's O-line broke down last year so did he, he was also 0-4 against play-off teams. With that said the Eagles have done well with D Mac, but you have to look at what he had, one is an O-line, something that we haven't had, he has played under one coach for 11 yrs, and in the same system, all of the luxuries that Jason hasn't had. Without an O-line Jason set a personal best record last year, he did this with no running game to boot, he took a beating not many other QB's in the NFL could withstand,and in my mind showed he was all Burgundy and Gold. With the injuries that D Mac has had in the past, do we think he will be able to play a full season if this O-line isn't fixed? you look at the best QB's in the NFL and they all have one thing in common, protection, without that we could put any of the top rated QB's back there and it wouldn't matter.

The sad thing is Jason will leave here with us never really knowing what he could have done with a stable program around him, I hope for Jason he lands somewhere that has organization and is treated better than he was here.

Bottom line is D Mac is the man now, and we should all stand behind him, but with our O-line I wouldn't stand to close! LOL

Posted by: DDunnuck | April 6, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse