With McNabb trade, Redskins signal that future is now

If you thought it was odd that Redskins' coaches and team officials avoided using the "rebuilding" word, it all seems to make sense today. The team is certainly rebuilding its roster, though it doesn't look as if Coach Mike Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen are pursuing any sort of youth-movement approach.

The trade for Donovan McNabb, in fact, seems to indicate the Redskins feel they can win now. To quote Allen -- both George and Bruce -- apparently, the future is now.

With a possible lockout looming in 2011, you don't sign a 33-year-old quarterback because you're building a foundation for the future. While McNabb certainly has some productive years ahead of him, he might not have many.

And if you're trying to add young players who can contribute for several years, you don't trade away a second-round draft pick -- in addition to a possible third-rounder in 2011 -- when you're already lacking a third-round pick.

With only one pick in the top 100 selections, the Redskins will have a difficult time injecting more youth into the roster, except perhaps deep into the depth chart. Mix in the additions of veterans such as Willie Parker, Larry Johnson, Artis Hicks, Phillip Buchanon and Maake Kemoeatu, and it's difficult to argue that the Redskins will field anything resembling a young team this season.

How good the Redskins will be this season remains to be seen, but it is becoming increasingly clear that the architects are building something that they hope will be playoff bound in 2010 -- not in the distant future.

By Rick Maese  |  April 5, 2010; 12:27 PM ET
Categories:  Bruce Allen , Donovan McNabb , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins to introduce McNabb at noon Tuesday
Next: Trade is 'like a rebirth' for McNabb, publicist says

Comments

If Cooley is traded, then you can bank on this team drafting Toby Gerhart. Think of all those white guys in need of a new jersey.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 5, 2010 12:10 PM

You mean the Riggins/Allstott-like guy?

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2010 12:28 PM

So...Are you guys not claiming Reed Doughty or what??

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 5, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

why let all those OT free agents leave without contracts then?

Posted by: dbuggs | April 5, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Snyder and Shanny and Son knew the Redskins needed instant relief.

This rebuilding process is going to be painful.

The trade for McNabb will, at the very least, make it more fun to watch.

Heck we might even win a few games in our division?

I doubt giving up the #37 pick in this year's draft and a 3rd rounder in 2011 will be the kiss of death for this franchise.

McNabb is CPR right now.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"...future is now"

Heard this somewhere before...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Just stupid...more of the same from those in charge.

I would have liked to see an OL trade instead of McNabb. In my opinion, they gave up too much and yet again, mortgaged the future of this franchise.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | April 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

By the way...

I CANNOT believe the 'skins would trade for McNabb without a new contract already in place.

To give up a 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th next year for a one year rental on a team that has NO CHANCE of getting to the Super Bowl is beyond foolish.

Posted by: TheCork | April 5, 2010 12:35 PM

Posted by: TheCork | April 5, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Has Shanny guaranteed McNabb a starting job? Think on it for a second -- look at Shanny's history. For instance, did Shanny ever guarantee a RB a starting job in Denver? No. Did he ever guarantee a WR a starting job? No. Now look at the two positions -- RB and QB -- and look at what Shanny has done in the past few weeks. Think about the culture change he's inflicting. At RB, he's added: LJ, WP. At QB, he's added: DM. Has Portis been cut or traded? No. Has JC been cut or traded? No. Shanny has indicated that he will have competition at every position. What backs up those words more than getting McNabb? This is still not necessarily about a 'win this year' mentality. And what if JC is still around and -- gasp -- wins the starting job from McNabb? Is McNabb the kind of person to get prima donna and complain like T.O.? No. This is about revamping an organizations entire *culture*.

Posted by: dragon2eden | April 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Terrible trade.. McNabb is a short term fix while Redskins need a LONG TERM ANSWER!!! Much like the Jets getting Favre that didn't work.. Drafting Sanchez did!!! They are now set for the next 10 to 15 YEARS!!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | April 5, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The trade for McNabb will, at the very least, make it more fun to watch.

Posted by: Chia_Pet |

I don't doubt McNabb's talent. But the most fun for fans will be for those who like to watch players in a whirlpool.

At 33 (34 this fall) McNabb needs a great pass blocking line to be efficient and MOST IIMPORTANTLY stay healthy.

Despite the "protect the QB" rules, a clean hit is still legal, and with the Redskins current Oline, or even with a rookie or two learning the ropes, he will get hit cleanly early and often.

If Allen and Shanahan have an actual plan for improving the Redskins Oline in the FOUR positions of need, I may change my mind.

But as of now, Dockery is the only guy who can consistently keep people off McNabb,

So my point is not McNabb's leadership skills or remaining ability--it's his health. I DON'T see it lasting, and that's why I think the trade was a mistake.

And don't get me started on comparing receiving corps.

Posted by: TheCork | April 5, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

And don't get me started on comparing receiving corps.

Posted by: TheCork

I couldn't agree more, Cork. No matter if it's Joe Montana under center, it simply will not matter with this suspect OL. And the sad part is that drafting Okung @ #4 won't fix it all, either. That's what the #37 was for.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | April 5, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The future is always now...that's the problem.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 5, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Perplexing to me....unless they were already pretty sure they can trade JC... but they are NOT going to get a second rounder for JC...

I really want to know who's pulling the trigger... Allen? Or the Danny? Sounds like a "the Danny" move to me, and not an Allen move...

Posted by: carocanesfan | April 5, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

So they go OL the rest of the way including what they get for JC. I don't see the problem and McN. is potentially HOF.

Plus I hope it pisses Rush L. off.

Posted by: ElYeah | April 5, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If you flip the number of losses last season that were within a a touchdown or less, the Skins would have been 11-5.

I have to believe that the addition of McNabb and Grossman, combined with the intense competition in the backfield, can make that difference.

My hope is that the Skins pick up Flozell Adams and take Okung in the draft. If we can trade Campbell for a second or third round pick this draft, this might be the best trade the skins have made for as long as I can remember.

Posted by: brooklynpsu | April 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

It did produce a Super Bowl berth, but not a SB win.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | April 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is thank u Philly. If Favre can thrive as a QB at 40 then Donovan can do the same thing at 33. Alle we to do now is plug in the LT at the no. 4 pick.
We don't need T.O. either now. Not because of the past between Donovan and T.O.
It is because Dononvan makes young wide receivers better because he get's the ball to them. So Thomas, Kelly, Mitchell get ready the ball is coming your way. Oh by the way Santana is on WR cloud nine right now. Tight ends Cooley and Davis you won't be left out. I can see Parker swinging out like Westbrook use to do in Philly.

Posted by: raystitt810 | April 5, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

This is all about that Mud Pickle Dan $nyder selling jerseys. Don't believe me?

Just go to the Redskins website and you can pre-order one. This announcement is barely 12 hours old and the sale is on. Get one to match the George, Smith, Sanders, Stubblefield, Archuleta, Coles, Randle El, and Lloyd jerseys hanging in your closet.

Man, you people that keep coming back for more of this same tripe are just enabling $nyder. It will NEVER change as long as he's printing money at the novelty kiosks and you continue to allow yourselves to be assraped at the food stands.

Just how much more assrape can you take?

Posted by: VeloStrummer | April 5, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The reason why Philly was willing to trade Mcnabb to the skins is because, no matter how much he's got in the tank, Philly knows he's no superman, meaning they don't think he can't overcome the vast lack of talent on the current roster. And therein lies the problem with this trade. What have the Redskins done, other than hire a new coach, that makes them any better than they were during the first 5 weeks of last year? All they have added is a good quarterback. And many of us thought that even the elite QBs (manning, brees, brady) could not have made the '09 skins competitive.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | April 5, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

After reading some of the posts on here, it's just painfully obvious that some of you haven't learned, either. For the past ~10 off-seasons we have been the champions and in turn, there has been tremendous hope on the part of the fans.

But get is straight - you don't win championships by making moves like the 'Skins make. You win by building SMARTLY through free-agency, and MOSTLY through the draft. Mortgaging the future of this franchise for a 33-yr-old, inaccurate, injury-prone QB is a poor choice for this season and beyond.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I just can't see this turning out well.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | April 5, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Looks like Bruce Allen is taking a page from his daddy's book. It's the "Over the Hill Gang" all over again. If you were a fan in the early 70's, you know what I am talking about.

It did produce a Super Bowl berth, but not a SB win.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28"

Don't recall the roster back then, but I've read a few posts that suggest the Skins are to old and need to get younger.

Just finished going over the roster and the skins have a avg of 4.25 years experience.

at WR they have 5 WRs with 3 or fewer years in the NFL - only one with more at 9 years.

at RB (not counting Parker) 5.2 years - 9, 8, 3, 1.

On the line - average of 4 years experience with 7 linemen at 3 or less years experience.

Doesn't shound like an old team to me? Line needs help and maybe the coaching and conditioning will help a lot more than just getting young.

Looks like a few vets could go along way as they focus on quality drafts???

Posted by: Timotious | April 5, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Campbell and Haynesworth to Oakland for #8

Posted by: bszdnva | April 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We've been bad for sooo long, that I dont even mind being bad a little longer, but I definitely dont want to be Mediocre for one season (not win it all, cuz the rest of the roster is one ply toilet paper) give up draft picks that...ummm we could use, just to be back where we were last season. Am I the only one who is getting at Gibbs 2.0 vibe from this last trade? Difference is He traded for a young back and signed and old QB. Shanny Signed old backs and traded for an old QB. I like DMac, and I've already said that I would have loved this trade 3 or 4 years ago, but now it just feels like shades of the same old.

If its really about winning now, Shanny must have a magic potion that turns Heyer into an athlete and Big Mike into a....a....a ummmm NON BUST!

I live in philly and I hate the way the fans here are laughing at us. Even the ones who are not happy to loose Dmac are ecstatic about the high picks.

Posted by: Skinalicious | April 5, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carocanesfan

It's not a Danny move but a Shanny move!

Posted by: thecomedian1 | April 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Better get the pepto ready for the 2 minute drill Huddles.

Posted by: snickerbar | April 5, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

What everyone on here fails to realise or remember is that 1 of the bigest complaints on Jason Campbell behind closed doors was that he took too long to find his target and release the ball and O line can only block their man for so long before they get through. It is also well known a great quarterback can make an average O line look good cause he usually has released the football before the defense can get by their men JUST A THOUGHT

Posted by: rnorris6 | April 5, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

love the trade. skins had no leadership. campbell is not a leader. he always looked half-asleep. mcnabb will elevate the play of everybody on the team including the o-line. we saw him do it in philly. screw long-term rebuilding. teams like the bengals, saints, and falcons have proven that you can turn things around overnight. the skins finally have the gm, coach, and qb to do just that.

Posted by: bbkhn | April 5, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@ dragon2eden

I like your thinking.

People are so quick to jump when they hear news about moves the Redskins make. When EVERYTHING is premature to speculate on.

Let the people who actually know what they're doing, do it. And then if/when the Redskins still are terrible, then play the I-told-you-so game.

Posted by: CYA_Coach | April 5, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Geez Reid, took you guys at the Post to figure this one out.... Sammy Baugh is coming back when we discover that the future is now isn't.

Posted by: atidwell | April 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

This article blows...giving up a 2nd round pick this year and either a 3rd or 4th next does not signal you're trading away the future nor the future is now...with the soon to be expected trade of Campbell and who knows who else they will surely recoup that 2nd and possibly more, a lock out I doubt it and you still have your 1st, 2nd and either 3rd or 4th, 5th and 6th and 7th as it stands for next year...why don't you past your prime sports writers find a new line of work and quit giving us this trash...

Posted by: papaskynz | April 5, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100 percent with papaskynz. The McNabb trade should be viewed as one step in a process. At the very least it makes the transition a bit more bearable to watch. Let's see what picks the Skins get for Campbell and anyone else who is moved in the next few weeks before the draft.

Posted by: loux24 | April 5, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

This will be just like Gibbs 2.0. Things will get "better" because anything will be better than 4-12. So, we may reach 8-8 this year, 9-7, 10-6 next year, after that we are back to sguare 1. They must stop RELOADING AND START REBUILDING....THE BOYCOTT IS BACK ON....I HATE MCNABB FOR 11 YEARS AND I AM SUPPOSED 2 EMBRACE HIM??? 1ST PLAY FROM SCRIMMAGE IN PRACTICE.....HES DONE...I WILL PRAY.

Posted by: DCFanatic | April 5, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Give this a chance. There a is well thought out and methodical changing of the guard underway. We need to balance the roster with some winners and some young difference makers. Look for a lot more personnel movement before the draft. Campbell certainly is gone (maybe packaged in a trade with Oakland). Cooley and Haynesworth, who have value, may be on their way out as well. Hopefully we will end up with #4 (Eric Berry) and #8 (one of the left tackles) in the draft, and that would be a huge upgrade over last year and create a platform for the future and at least 9-7 next year.

Posted by: thetruth7 | April 5, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Reeeeelax haters. This was a good move and by mid-season everybody will be loving it. McNabb will get an extension, the Skins will get linemen, and the playoffs will likely come this year. Give them a chance.

Posted by: hand_of_doom | April 5, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm an Eagles fan/Philly native who has lived the last 15 years in the DC area. And I've enjoyed hating the Skins for many reasons (the owner, the team name, several of the coaches, many of the players).

This was an awful trade for the Eagles. Maybe they had to do it in order to get something for McNabb before he leaves for free agency in a year -- they got killed in the Philly press for letting T.O. walk without getting anything. And maybe Reid really did just want to give McNabb something on his way out, a chance to win instead of exile to Oakland. And I kind of like that about Reid, if he did. Terrible business move, but I like that maybe he didn't care. Somehow I think it can't hurt Philly's karma to do something right, but football-wrong. But still: the Eagles will be worse off without McNabb, and the Skins will be better.

McNabb isn't the greatest quarterback in the league. He gets frustrated and he throws too many balls into the turf. But he's smart and he *always* says and does the right thing, and that does matter. And he actually can carry a team on his back -- he did it with the Eagles for the first half of his career, no matter what the average Philly fan thinks. If he stays healthy (a big "if"), he's still a great addition. And with a good coach, he might be even better than he was under Reid, who was never a great play-caller.

McNabb also plays best when he's been challenged, and this is a big challenge. Maybe it'll only be for this year or the next, but he'll be at his best with the Skins. Smart, strong, not as mobile but very, very good. The Skins O-Line might kill him, but he'll still make the team better. And I'm assuming the Skins will draft a QB in the first round anyway -- that the McNabb plan is only for the next two years or so anyway, while the next guy is groomed. It makes a lot more sense than drafting a QB and expecting him to contribute this year or the next, especially without a great O-Line.

So this was a good trade for a lot of reasons. And if nothing else, it'll make the division a lot more interesting.

Posted by: thoward1223 | April 5, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Just once I wish management would at least try to build through the Draft, rather than patching the holes with old players. The skins have been down this road so often and it never works. McNabb may have one or two years left, but there is not enough talent around him to move this team where we all want it go. I thought Allen and Shanahan would be different. But I guess as long as Snyder is the owner, there is no hope.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | April 5, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Highlight of all QB trades? The photo-shopping of the scrub backup with the new guy in town...regardless of race. Enjoy

Posted by: giantspeculation | April 5, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Go Mr.Allen and Mr.Shanahan! You put your stamp on it boy! Its your team now!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 5, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Great Move!!Skins still need an OL, I like D. McNabb, I think the Philly fans are losers, what do expect from a town that falls in love with a fake boxer like Rocky. McNabb might become a Hall a Fame QB, for skins, just like Sonny Jurgensen (he was to classy and smart for Philly). Allen and Shanahan will bring a winner to DC, I feel for JC, he did not act like a fool or a thug, he was a leader and he is very smart man, yes he did not play well at times, but Zorn was a bad coach and team did not play well. I hope JC gets traded to a good team and hope he wins a Super Bowl. JC is classy person and will become a very QB, I know B. Allen is running team, I am sure DS had something to do with deal, you he likes big name stars,the CAPS are more popular Skins. DS had to something, DC is like LA, it not a sports town, fans can lose interest in this town, becuse sports will always be second to politics.
I hope it is win-win for all expect for the Philly fans, A win for McNabb that was disrespected by the Philly fans (McNabb was too classy for Philly, Philly fans like thugs or the underdog, McNabb did not fit image, Eagles got two Kolb-the hope and Vick the thug). Win for JC-I hope gets traded to a good team, he is a classy person that was liked by the fans, but disrespected by the management, and I hope Shanahan and Allen can bring us a winner, for fan base that deserve a winner.

Posted by: nativeva1 | April 5, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nativeva1 | April 5, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

McNabb doesn't seem old to me, his contract is short-term, and we have an uncapped year. I don't see much of a downside to this move.

Hopefully, this move means the team won't draft a QB with a high pick and will focus on the O-line. I still don't see where the team has enough picks to draft a bunch of young stud O-lineman -- unless some serious draft day trades are in the works! LT seems a pretty good bet now at 4, but what about RT, guard plus depth at center? The O-line still badly needs an infusion of youth, talent, and depth, but the team currently is not loaded with draft picks.

Who would be good trade bait? JC? Portis? Haynesworth? Cooley? It seems likely that one or all of these guys will be packaged for draft picks.

For JC's sake, I hope he gets an opportunity elsewhere, but I think JC could probably benefit from a year as the number 2 in the Shanahan system under McNabb, assuming he doesn't beat out McNabb in the "open" QB competition. Both seem like pretty good guys who would support one another, and we wouldn't see too much of a drop-off if the other went down. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Skins made a concerted effort to keep JC happy as a number 2 this year, but maybe the Skins will trade him for a number 2.

Portis seems high-mileage to me, and I don't think his body-type was built to take the pounding he took in a Joe Gibbs system. Can't fault the guy for a lack of courage -- CP took a beating. All another teams need to do is look at the tape and see how he blocks. That's one tough SOB, but the body can only take so much. I think Portis would have to be packaged with another player for another team to take him.

If Haynesworth isn't buying in, given all the negative exposure he received last year for flopping, would any team make a serious trade offer? Given the amount of money Cerrato guaranteed to Haynesworth, I don't see how Hazlett, Shanahan, or anyone else will be able to motivate him. Haynesworth seems far too street smart to do anything to jeopardize his guaranteed money, but what's to prevent him from continuing to flop? Looks to me like we're stuck with a highly talented but over-priced former star of questionable character. Haynesworth might decided to be a "Bada--", but he also might decide to be a Bad Apple. That's totally up to Haynesworth, nobody else.

Cooley appears to me to be the most attractive option for other teams, assuming he's healthy. I hate to say it, but to me Cooley seems the most likely to go. The team is overloaded at TE, and the man is obviously a beast, but would we get enough draft picks in return? I could see Cooley and Portis going in a package in return for a package of draft picks.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | April 5, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

With the exception of the last 2 years with JZ at the helm, the future has always been NOW with Daniel Snyder.

Perhaps this time, if he fails, he will finally sell the team.

Geesh!

Posted by: dc1020008 | April 5, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

A future of 2-14 in 2011 when the old 4-12 team of 2010, who just got older, fades away.

Posted by: edeshields | April 5, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

For the last two years the Redskins made no headway because of inept coaching. Stop saying we have no talent at wide receiver when they had no one to coach them up to NFL standards for the two years they have been here. We have a REAL NFL coach now and with the addition of McNabb who doesn't stare at the receiver from the moment the ball is hiked and will make our current receivers much better.

Posted by: wizskin | April 5, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

For all of you crying bout not having any good offensive linemen, wait the season is still months away and MS/BA are not done yet.

For the ones claiming Snyder is still making the decisions...get over it it's his team...he paid for it!!!

Posted by: wizskin | April 5, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

McNabb better make sure is wheels are balanced and aligned. He's going to be running for his life.

Posted by: anti-danyboy | April 6, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

This is still just part of the roster purge. Thought they were going to the youth movement to rebuild. Getting rid of the older Skins right off the get go like that, but the adds are just as old. Figure McNabb is to try and bring a winning mentality to the offense, and an intensity that JC never brought. I liked JC, but his lack of emotion always bothered me. McNabb will definitely bring the fire back into the offense. But have to agree the fire will only last as long as he survives behind what is clearly and O-line in need of help. When he gets hit enough, the fire may turn into some serious complaining and tear what is left of the offense apart.

Posted by: skins50 | April 6, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The future is now? Please. The Redskins live in the past. The past is now here in Washington. This team is destined to fail and it starts at the top of the organization.

Posted by: N07H4NX | April 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

If the Skins go with a lineman in the first round, they were most likely going for Tebow in the second round. Now consider Tebow vs. McNabb or more specifically Tebow and next year's third rounder vs. McNabb ... I'd take McNabb every time.

Posted by: Back_in_DC | April 6, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

What if we traded Devin Thomas for Donovan McNabb? Think about that for a second. Is that really any different than trading the 37th pick? There is this totally misguided perception that the 37th pick is this can't miss pro bowl quality can't live without player. That is garbage. Giving up a 2nd round pick for the most important position on the field is WELL WORTH THE COST.

Posted by: warthogdb | April 6, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

If the Redskins win more than 6 games I will be floored. This has to be one of the oldest, most injury-prone rosters in the NFL. Not to mention, there's a changing of defensive schemes...Scratch that. If this team wins more than 5 games then I'll be floored.

Posted by: thelongblueline | April 8, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

I was never convinced that Shanny is the answer for the Redskins and so far he hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise. Larry Johnson, Rex Grossman, Willie Parker, McNabb? Is this the 2nd coming of George Allen Sr? Exactly how long do we have to wait until somebody seriously starts addressing the OL problem. Why is it that the fans are clamoring for OL help but the Skins' management seem to be oblivious to it? Is there a grand scheme here that we can't see? Why is JC still on the roster? We reduced his value when we got McNabb? Why are we still talking QB for the draft when we've picked up two or three from free agency, we have no 2nd rounder pick for OL help, and we let several cycle thru Redskins park without signing? I'm just seeing more dysfunction at personnel selection. So far Shanny has totally underwhelmed me.

Posted by: jfoster13 | April 11, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse