Don't Sleep On Demetric Evans

I've been very high on Demetric Evans all camp, and it's looking more and more like he will get a chance to play a whole lot Thursday night. With Jason Taylor not able to practice thus far, Evans is getting his snaps with the starters at left end, and I continue to believe that even when Taylor comes back Evans will be a factor on running downs at left end.

Evans added muscle mass and upper-body strength this offseason, applying the power-lifting program used by injured teammate Phillip Daniels (generally considered the strongest guy in the organization) and maintained his quickness and mobility. Evans has been a vital reserve throughout his four years here, and can play at end or tackle (he is a key component of the nickel package as an inside pass rusher, and has been asked to drop back into coverage frequently as an end, contributing to several big plays last season).

"I've never had a problem playing Demetric Evans anywhere, any time any place," said defensive coordinator Greg Blache, the defensive line coach in Washington the previous four seasons. "In [2005] when we had a good run, Demetric started a bunch inside at the three-technique after he had worked at end. Demetric is what you call a true pro. He's a guy I trust. He's a young man whose mama raised him well, that's the only way I can put it. He's got it all together as a person and as a player, and I feel totally confident in him."

Evans has yet to be told anything explicitly about his role Thursday, but is prepared for anything, he said. He could end up getting a heavy load between his work at end and as a tackle in the nickel package (Anthony Montgomery and/or Erasmus James could spell him inside).

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 2, 2008; 9:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Not In Foxworth Hunt
Next: James Hopes to Contribute Thursday

Comments

Panties

Posted by: TDawg | September 2, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

What about sleeping WITH Demetric Evans?

Posted by: Mrs. Evans | September 2, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Both Demetric and Erasmus need to step up big time this Thursday.

Posted by: Pablo | September 2, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

4th

Posted by: 4th | September 2, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 2, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"I've been very high "

Posted by: KingMe | September 2, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Holla

Posted by: Prison Balls | September 2, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

The difference between us and all the other first world countries not on the list, Guns.

Hey, i figure we've talked abortion politics and religion. Why not just start another out and out fight.

Also Evans is a stud, i love the kid.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Thanks 4th.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Yeah,

D Evans reminds me of another young versatile player, J Tuck...

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I to like Evans as a spot guy and runstop specialist but he is already getting up there age wise.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 2, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Eliiiiiiiiiii!!!! Do you know where the F you are!!!!! You're in the jungle, baby!

WAKE UP! TIME TO DIE!

Posted by: W. Axl Rose | September 2, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis on Coach Zorn, from the interview that 4th linked to above:

"After first talking to him and meeting him, it was like, “Okay, this man could be what we need to change the face of the team” after replacing Coach Gibbs. There were a lot of people that were attached to Coach Gibbs. It was going to be different, and all of a sudden everybody bought in. And I think he is a wonderful coach. I think he is just as excited as we are. When you have somebody with the opportunity, the sky is the limit because all of the time he is thinking of something. He comes out after practice sometimes happier than we are about a new play he put in and wants to see how it is going to be executed. I think it is a different excitement."

..............................................

To me, this is the perfect antidote to the Frost froth that Jasno and Wise were peddling, or to the haters up here who have been running wild since the roster was named.

This team was built by Gibbs and with Gibbs people. Many of them can become Zorn people but others are better suited for Gibbs. Maybe Jansen, after his whining when he was outplayed by Heyer in the preseason.

Zorn will turnover the roster -- he has already started -- but slowly because of the inability to play big in free agency.

It will take a few years, and it won't be smooth, but if CP is this excited, I've got to believe that Zorn can get us where we want to be.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 2, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

What are you talking about TE? Oh yeah you are just a hater trying to stir up trouble. No one questioned Zorn or Jansen thing. It's the FO dummy. Justin Tryon? Were they watching the same game I was?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

What are you talking about evaluator? No one said anything about Zorn or Jansen. We're talking about the FO. Justin Tryon anyone? That call was just atrocious. If anyone thought Tryon looked better than the other DB's who got cut they must have been watching a different game. He was burnt beyond recognition. Just stop it with your constant attempts at stirring the pot.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Agree w/ TE. (Did I just say that?)

The team is rebuilding and JJ will be a casualty. Look for a line-happy draft this off season.

Posted by: etrod | September 2, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Anon;

The one thing mentioned, that us dissector extraordinares do not have the luxury of seeing is 'up-side'. not that I believe in it, but upside was the reason for keeping tryon...

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Stop it with the anon stuff. Sign your name if you are gonna attack someone. I agree with the Tryon thing. That is the only one that to me is indefensible.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Z,

If that guy was a undrafted rookie FA do you think he'd be on the team. Cause based on his play in the preseason he may have looked the most overmatched of any player on the team. That jville game had to be embarrassing for him.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 9:49 AM

That's a reasonable assumption, but we couldn't have a much better judge of QB's than Zorn. He saw Hasselbeck's difficulties, so he's familiar with the problems. He can size up whether Jason will make it or not and I'd trust his judgement. If he gives up on Jason, then I'm afraid Jason is just another career backup like Patrick Ramsey.

The issue is how long the front office will stick with Zorn. And I think that if they keep hearing things like the Portis interview, then they'll give him three years.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 2, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

It's going to be another busy day up here -- we have lots of updates planned -- but I also wanted to alert you to our new feature, The League. You guys are MVBs here and hope you'll be there, as well.

Posted by: Cindy | September 2, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Exactly Skinz... Vinny kept every one of his draft picks...

TE, hope so too... hope so too

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Can we read into 17 being named Team Cap?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 2, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"I try to keep reminding myself that it took Hasslebeck 3 years to perfect Holmgrens offense. Sadly I doubt we will give JC that kind of leash."

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 9:49 AM

Zebra, sad to say I agree with you - especially since JC has to learn a new offense EVERY year.

Shawn Springs was asked about Zorn a few weeks ago - Shawn said that he means no disrespect to Hasselbeck but that he thinks JC has more skills than Hasselbeck had when Zorn started working with him and he thinks Zorn can be great for JC. Only hope it is not too late.

Posted by: Lisa | September 2, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

PREDICTION #1... REDSKINS BEAT GIANTS PLAYING TOUGH DEFENSE, GOOD RUNNING GAME AND GOOD ENOUGH PASSING....
PREDICTION#2... SARAH PALIN IS NOT THE MCBUSH'S VP BY THE END OF THE CONVENTION....

Posted by: Obama is da Man!!! | September 2, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Hey!!!!!!

Dont sleep on me either

Posted by: Fred Davis | September 2, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:50 AM

I agree. Others looked better than he did, and some of them are on the practice squad. But none of them looked faster than he did.

The line I'm buying on the roster is that they kept the players who they think give them the best team two or three years from now. They didn't draft for today. And they see a lot more upside in Tryon on the old theory that you can teach coverage skills, but you can't teach speed.

They see these guys in practice every day. We see them only in parts of five exhibition games. I trust them to choose the best roster -- they have a lot more incentive to win games than we do.

If you've got some consiparacy theory about the FO, then you're in a big crowd. I wouldn't want to be seen in that crowd, but each to his own.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 2, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Beepers

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Tryon was constantly playing against other teams STARTERS. Richardson is the only other corner we had who didnt make the roster, who actually looked ok... but it was against 2nd and third stringers. In the Jacksonville game, Tryon was going up against really tall receivers. He had NO CHANCE, yet he still was always around the ball. I think Blache exposed Tryon to see him at his worst. Yeah, Tryon allowed alot of 6'6 receivers to catch the ball, but he always tackled the guy right after and didnt allow any YAC. He'd never be assigned to cover the big guys in a real game. He has more upside than Richardson. Right now Tryon is on the roster and Richardson is on the practice squad, so we've got them both. I highly doubt Tryon would have lasted on our PS. In the end, i feel we made the right decision here.

Posted by: talkshowhost | September 2, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Obama is da Man!!!

???Obama is Da Man???

He is the man that has Jesse and I perplexed. I mean, my man Jesse wants to go all nutcracker on his a**. I know he'll enlarge the welfare , er, I mean, our constituencies. He just seems so young. Go Black brotha!

Posted by: Rev. Al Sharpton | September 2, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Don't sleep on deez nutz!

Posted by: T-Bag Tony | September 2, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

This issue of poor JC having to learn a new offense every year is overstated. In today's era of FA, coaches on short leashes, etc...players learn new offenses all the time. Collins, who is hardly Steve Young, stepped up last season and showed how it's done. If JC is our franchise guy, he needs to prove it from the outset of Game One. Oh, and that's in in TWO DAYS!!!!! woot woot

Posted by: Jenna | September 2, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I think the Jason Taylor injury was blessing in disguise. Everyone already knows that the right side of our D-line was already suspect. Adding Jason Taylor would have made the D-line even more porous on running downs. Evans will sure up the left side and provide a surprisingly strong pass rush. He's the prototypical left-side defensive end; we all know that Jason Taylor isn't. Evans will be an all-pro this year.

Posted by: chickenG | September 2, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse