Doughty Bounces Back from Flu

From Barry Svrluga

Safety Reed Doughty first felt the stomach problems that kept him out of the New Orleans game at about 12 a.m. Sunday, he said. "It went downhill from there," he said.

By 4 a.m. - after he had thrown up all the medicine the Redskins medical staff had administered him - he went to the hospital. There, doctors administered medicine that calmed his stomach but made him drowsy, and therefore unable to play.

"I watched it in the locker room," Doughty said. "That was hard not to be out there, not to feel a part of it. I tried to go out on the field and watch it, and it was too hot. I was pretty dehydrated."

Doughty believes he'll have no problem playing this week. He said he thinks he became ill because his son was sick during the week.

"You clean that up as a parent," Doughty said. "I tried to be as careful as I could."

Rookie Chris Horton had a memorable debut in Doughty's place, intercepting two balls - both on deflections - and recovering a fumble. Coach Jim Zorn did not say that Horton would start again against Arizona, when Doughty will almost certainly be available.

"I don't know if [Horton] is ready yet to step in there every week and say he's a starter," Zorn said. "Reed Doughty is a guy that can get people lined up. There will be much more complicates situations that [Horton] would have to perform in to say that he is going to be the starter. But he certainly helped us have confidence in putting him in situations."

Doughty said he was not concerned about losing his job because of the illness.

"Overall, I think it's beneficial for the football team" because Horton excelled, he said.
...
Wideout Antwaan Randle El fumbled a punt that led to a New Orleans touchdown in the first halff and averaged just 5.8 yards on four returns. Zorn said the coaching staff is considering whether to give other players, such as top receiver Santana Moss, chances to return punts. Moss takes turns with Randle El in practice.

"Maybe Santana will get back there a couple times," Randle El said. "I don't have a problem with that. That's fine. We'll treat it as a 1-2 punch or whatever."

"I enjoy being back there," he said. "It's not a burden or anything like that."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 15, 2008; 5:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell vs. Hasselbeck, through 2 Starts
Next: After Blog Incident, Zorn Plans to Talk with Team

Comments

Reed "Wally Pipp" Doughty

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was that Steak Sandwich he had from Gordon Beirsch (sp?) when he co-hosted Redskins Late Night that got him sick?

Did anyone else see that? That was maybe the funniest episode I've ever seen.

Larry Landovaaaaa

Posted by: 4th | September 15, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I bet that stomach virus clears up real quick....

Doughty is a nice roleplayer, not a starter.

I am for someone new on punt returns...but NOOOOOO to Moss....is it not obvious how vital a healthy Moss is to the offense...

Please no!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 15, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Here's your pink slip, thanks for playing.

Posted by: D. Snyder | September 15, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

This week in that league, I face the Campbell-to-Moss combination. So you can expect something legendary to happen

Posted by: SMACK | September 14, 2008 1:37 AM

Sure as the sun rises in the east.

Posted by: SMACK | September 15, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, we did just fine without him the last time we played New Orleans too...

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM

84 yards as a rookie vs the Deadskins. How have Kelly and Thomas been doing?

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:30 PM

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

"First time ever we've seen a case of the flu land a player on the IR... never seen anything like it... but he should be all healed up and ready for training camp..."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 15, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

ssh1549, if your computer time is limited, then the better threads to follow would be the ones right after the game (starting with the Monday Morning H-back ... or whatever its called this year).

Content/analysis-wise, good posting today starting with that thread (over the next couple ... through the one about the shotgun) by Mike H, chRIs laRrY, psps23, Flounder, Skinz, dlhaze, and p1funk.* Search for those names on page.

* Apologies for missed props to unnamed folks, but a quick scroll back showed some thoughtful thinking by these peeps.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Doughty is not good enough to not be concerned about his starting job.

I think he's lying...with two INT's and a FR, that stomach virus is cured.

Posted by: sicwidit | September 15, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

sween,
there is a lot of thoughtful thinking going on up here, that's for sure.

Posted by: stumped | September 15, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

If you were, then you have a fair criticism of JLC's take. If not, then shame on you...
Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2008 4:48 PM

The JC-TC comparison was more legit. They eached QB'd the same team with the same players.

Posted by: LH | September 15, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas should return punts. He is fast, has done it in college, and it does not matter if he gets hurt. Moss should only return punts if the game is on the line.

Posted by: Punt Return | September 15, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

RIP Richard Wright. At least he didn't hang on for long, in quiet desperation, as is the English way.

Posted by: SMACK | September 15, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

"Randle El said the coaching staff had not yet approached him about such a change. He would, however, like to remain the primary returner."

El stinks as a PR, he needs to give that part of the game up. He runs around in circles when he should run straight ahead. It always pains me to watch him when he's back there because he's a whirling dervish.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 15, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Punt Return | September 15, 2008 5:50 PM

In college, Thomas returned kicks, not punts. Same with Tryon.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm your #2 Wide Receiver.

Posted by: Antwaan Randle El | September 15, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

The punt returner is a no brainer. It is Justin Tryon. He is fast, has good hands, returned kicks at ASU, and is of no use to us on defnse as he can't cover me. If he gets hurt, it doesn't hurt the team at all. It might even make us better because we would have to go out and get a CB who would have to be better than him.

Posted by: DB | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I call you on the phone.

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Cell | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Byron Westbrook (CB on the practice squad) is the next natural punt returner. He had some solid returns in the preseason, as well as some real stinkers.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Of course, not all of my efforts are successful.

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Fell | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Also, your primary Punt Returner.

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Hell | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Also, your primary Punt Returner.

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Hell | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I call you on the phone.

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Cell | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Good golly, a lot to catch up on, up here.

Someone anonymously laid this down a few threads back: "Like PDX Nate said, this team is very good and chia pet is a jerk."

Uh, I don't think so... I have my disagreements with Chia Pet on the Skins from time to time, but I know the guy personally, and he's not a jerk.

And I want to *believe* this team is very good, but I think it will take some time, and I don't think I've come out and claimed that they are now, today, very good.

So again, just to repeat, for whatever it's worth, I don't think Chia Pet is a jerk. He is not a jerk.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Okay,I'll ask...is there a big difference between fielding a punt versus a kick off?

Posted by: stumped | September 15, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

4th, I saw Doughty on Redskins Late Night ordering the Steak Sandwich and wondered the same thing. Of course, the show was taped several days earlier.

BMitch - at least I think it was BMitch - said on 980 this morning that he does not think Randle El wants to return punts. Said he appears "disinterested" and since he is a starting WR obviously does not want to continue to do it.

Posted by: Lisa | September 15, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

When you return a kick, you have a wedge of 4-5 guys in front of you, as well as some guys in front hitting people on their way to kill you.

When you return a punt, you face 2-3 guys running full speed from the line and your guys have to turn around and run after them, then get around them to block them, i.e., you're on your own for the first ten yards ... if you're lucky. Requires someone with real steady nerves ... bomb defuser-types.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 15, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I think Rock might have the chops to return punts ... but I wouldn't imagine that he (or anyone else) would really want to ... Rock is one of the gunners on punts, i.e., one of the first few guys to get to the return man. Payback might be, as they say, a female dog.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

My guess (and this is only a guess) that you want a punt returner with nerves of steel, hands of glue, and acceleration.

By that test? Landry ... or maybe this week's all star, Chris Horton.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stumped | September 15, 2008 6:06 PM

Yes, there is a very big difference.

Kick-off is more predictable in trajectory, due to backspin. You can take it while running and be at top speed almost immediately. Also, it comes in at a lower angle, so you can see the defenders in the same field of vision.

Punt has topspin or sidespin, making it more likely to float or drift offline. You're looking almost straight up to see it so you can't really watch the defenders at the same time without taking your eyes off the ball (a very bad thing). Receiving punts is all about being under the ball as it comes almost straight down, and then having a quick first step to avoid defenders as you secure the ball, followed by quick acceleration to keep the return moving.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

That was B Mitch Lisa......

Re: Doughty on Redskins LAte Night -

I was thinking he took a doggy bag home and ate it on Saturday. It was steak sandwich. It prob was cooked rare......

I think the stomach flu last longer than 18 hours.......

Posted by: 4th | September 15, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

And Horton is another one of the gunners on punts ... and his miss was critical to Bush's PR TD.

Posted by: dcsween | September 15, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I got those new inserts in my shoes. Thanks, Dr. Scholl.

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Jellin' | September 15, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Tell | September 15, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 5:25 PM

84 yards as a rookie vs the Deadskins. How have Kelly and Thomas been doing?

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:30 PM

Ahhh yes. The old change-the-subject-because-my-bullcrap-has-been-tossed-back-into-my-own-mouth routine. I've seen this one before.

And by the way, Thomas and Kelly are 1-0 against the Saints.

Can't say it's been a pleasure interacting with you, but have a nice life anyways.

p1funk OUT!

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm training to be a commodities broker in the off-season.

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Sell | September 15, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Actually, maybe that stomach flu doesn't clear up for a while, eh??

Posted by: Greg Blache | September 15, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm burning up the field, scented with jasmine and citrus.

Posted by: Antwaan Candle Smell | September 15, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Was anyone else really impressed with ARE's leap over Moss after the TD? If he could just catch a punt, then go straight a few yards and then do his kangaroo hop over people, he'd get more yards than with that side to side juking crap he does!

Posted by: will_ga | September 15, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I've fallen in, and I can't get out!

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Well | September 15, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

84 yards as a rookie vs the Deadskins. How have Kelly and Thomas been doing?

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 5:30 PM

And by the way, Thomas and Kelly are 1-0 against the Saints.

p1funk OUT!

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2008 6:24 PM

Are you stupid? You claimed Colston didn't do anything last time the teams played. He got 84 yards as a rookie and has been the best receiver EVER (in the first two seasons).

p1chumpster, go watch games.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey, did you guys get that d-mail I sent you? Or was it a p-mail?

Posted by: Chris Cooley | September 15, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 15, 2008 7:04 PM

Um, you mean the most catches by a receiver in the first two years of his career. Did you see MY first two years in the league?

Posted by: Randy Moss | September 15, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

One game does not a legend make.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 15, 2008 3:12 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Tighten up!

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Bell and The Drells | September 15, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I've fallen in, and I can't get out!

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Well | September 15, 2008 6:57 PM

I've tripped and I can't get down

Posted by: Tommy Chong | September 15, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

how many games has reed started in his career? 7? 8? Horton is around the ball and plays hard. start the rook!

Posted by: rich20ssu | September 15, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Dell | September 15, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

You're going down tonight 4th.

Hopefully, so is Romo.

Posted by: Dorf | September 15, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

On ESPN Countdown, Berman just named the nominees for "Defensive Player of the Week."

Justin Tuck. Patrick Willis. Charles Woodson.

Typical.

Chris Horton snags 2 INTs and recovers a fumble, but he's ignored.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I guess I can comment too on the blog. I cannot stand Randle El's punt return abilities. He dances way too much. If he would just run forward and try and get 10 yards instead of waiting for (or creating) a hole so he can break a touch down return everytime, I'm sure he'd get a few long ones too. No on Moss.

The Dorf abides.

Posted by: Dorf | September 15, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Skinzzzzzzz...

Babie..........

Posted by: W | September 15, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

green tea and Trader Joe's dark chocolate

mmmmmm

Posted by: stumped | September 15, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Chris Horton snags 2 INTs and recovers a fumble, but he's ignored.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 7:47 PM

Peter King named him defensive player of the week in his Monday Morning Quarterback today. Not the same exposure as ESPN, but I wouldn't say he's been ignored. Also, as many people have pointed out, he didn't actually create the turnovers.

I don't want to undersell his accomplishment -- I think he had his "career day" on his first start, and Peter King recognized it -- but he wasn't the "disruptive force" that some of those other guys were.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

beep beep. and good night.

Posted by: Cindy | September 15, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 15, 2008 6:51 PM

Will, I was impressed, and then my second thought was "He's gonna get a 15 yard penalty for an end zone celebration."

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 15, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Justin Tuck. Patrick Willis. Charles Woodson.

Typical.

Chris Horton snags 2 INTs and recovers a fumble, but he's ignored.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 7:47 PM

Typical? They all scored TDs and Willis's run back was pretty spectacular. Bless his little heart but Horton caught two floaters.

Dang!! How does TO get that open?

Posted by: LH | September 15, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Tighten up!

Posted by: Antwaan Randle Bell and The Drells | September 15, 2008 7:16 PM

I thought they were all funny and this one made me lose it...doin' the tighten up...

Seriously though, he shouldn't return punts if he's going to dance around like a fool without positive yardage, and/or cough up the rock.

Posted by: Crunkenstein | September 15, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Nice game but two deflections and a fumble that Aretha Franklin could have recovered. OK - well maybe she could not have advanced it.

Posted by: hz9604 | September 16, 2008 5:45 AM | Report abuse

Chris Horton is a ball hawk. He is always around the ball and put himself in the position to get those int's. I like him and think the coaching staff should really consider him as a starter!

Posted by: candy | September 16, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Funny that Randle El says he enjoys being back there. I think he's just concerned with not getting hurt and securing the ball more than really trying to get much yardage.

Posted by: dcb | September 16, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Chris Horton is a ball hawk. He seems to be at the right place at the right time ala Rod Woodson in his Baltimore days at Safety. Reed Doughty looked BAD against N.Y.(As if anybody really looked good) and hasn't really warranted a "lock" down starting job. Horton was named NFC DPOW and made the crucial 3rd down tackle when he bursted through the line and wrapped up the Saints RB by the legs... Not to mention the fumble revovery & 2 ints... He's the man. As for Randle El. I would maybe try Tryon at punt returner considering he gets no real burn. I definitely wouldn't put Moss there unless, like the Saints with Bush, it's one of those situations where you want to make a big play in a close game with the other team punting from near its own end zone. Start Horton.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse