Doughty Considering Back Surgery

From Jason La Canfora:

Safety Reed Doughy, whose season ended when he was placed on the injured-reserve list Tuesday, said he will see at least one more specialist before deciding whether he will undergo surgery to repair a nerve problem in his back.

Doughty figures recovery from surgery could take several months and he'd like to begin rehab as soon as possible, with his contract up at the end of the year.

"I want to figure out if I'm doing it [surgery] or not, and if not, then what's the rehab ... We're kind of burning daylight here."

Doughty still experiences numbness in his left foot and believes he could have played a week or two more before the injury would have forced him out again. He has seen one specialist and said that he has yet receive details of what precisely surgery would entail. He wants to make a decision this month.

Doughty gave up his No. 37 to RB Shaun Alexander, although neither player would divulge the cost. "Nothing in life is free," Alexander said.

A few years back, Doughty gave 23 to Troy Vincent and said that Alexander's stature and long history wearing 37 also factored into the decision to give up the number.

...

Injured RB Ladell Betts said he is very comfortable with the signing of Alexnader and does not foresee any issues in regaining his spot as the prinary backup after he recovers from knee and hamstring problems.

"I'm not worried aboiut that," Betts said. "Once I come back, I'm confident iin my ability."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 16, 2008; 12:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cincy Is Beautiful in December...
Next: Blache Again Cautions Defense

Comments

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

This Sucks, #37 is one of my favorite players.

Posted by: dannythe357 | October 16, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

That is the last we have seen of Reed Doughty in a Skins uniform.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hope Doughty comes back.... classy, hard-working kid.

Posted by: outsider6 | October 16, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Wish the best for Doughty -- a guy with way more challenges to handle than most.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 16, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope Doughty collected all the cash up front. See also, Ifeanyi Ohalete.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

A few posts back, Jasno commented on Carlos Rogers. Prior to the season, I had suggested that Rogers, if his injury left him something less than he was before, was going to be a marginal player.

Players coming back from surgery usually fall into two camps. Guys that make it all the way back to full speed and guys that don't. Carlos Rogers is the rarest of all ... he came back and is BETTER than before. Not sure how that happens, but it has.

Props to him.

Jasno's comments about his being a Pro Bowl level guy? I agree. He's been very impressive, especially with our modest pass rush.

As I mentioned earlier, not sure who the most improved guy on the team is. Its one of the 2 guys selected from Auburn in the 1st round a few years ago. Jason Campbell or Carlos Rogers. Both have made huge strides and deserve the recognition.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 16, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Ifeanyi and CP reached a settlement before it went to court. I feel bad for Reed since he is partially deaf and now has a bad back. Hopefully another team will sign him next year. Chris Horton is clearly are future at Strong Safety with Kareem Moore and Michael Green as backups.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope Doughty collected all the cash up front. See also, Ifeanyi Ohalete.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008

Nice call! Forgot about that.

I believe there was supposed to be a boxing match between the two if I remember correctly....

Posted by: Cobain | October 16, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Yet another test for Mr. Doughty, partially deaf, an infant son constantly fighting for his life, and now this. Mr. Doughty, I'm praying for you buddy. I'm quite sure the experts will remedy the best course of action to get the nerve fixed.

Posted by: clark202 | October 16, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

F mike & mike/micky and mini!

thanks 4th regarding fox sports radio plug...my only other choice was obama 1260 and mccain 570.

te, seriously? did you really graduate in the 60's? wow!!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 16, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It's been unclear specifically what Doughty is suffering from, but if it's like bulging disk that is pinching his sciatic nerve, which would definitively cause loss of feeling on the leg on that side, then that's a tough and painful injury.

I know first hand, happened to me a couple of years ago...most pain i've ever experienced plus it limits mobility substantially. Surgery, which I was fortunate to avoid, is a huge deal, if there is no other choice. (Replacing a disk altogether means they have to go in through the front, essentially around your stomach and other organs, to replace the damaged disk. Ouch.)

Best to the former 37.

Posted by: RambleOn | October 16, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, I'm a bit surprised with the misspellings in this post... was someone else posting under your handle?

And we all know "Doughy" is the new punter, not the safety on IR!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Doughty's a "horrible football player"? wow Skins28... you must be one of those guys who likes to call in to radio shows and then gets mocked by the host for having no idea what he's talking about.

Posted by: outsider6 | October 16, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Great Comments about Carlos Rogers, I agree 100% he has all of the sudden become a great player. It is amazing that he has done if it off a major injury with the Torn ACL and MCL. Another player that is playing great off an injury is Rocky Mcintosh, he has become a beast as well, and he is also coming off a Torn ACL and MCL. It is great to finally see these young guys live up to their potential.

Campbell's improvements have also obviously been huge for the Skins, I give a lot credit to Jim Zorn for helping Campbell mature and greatly improve as a QB.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Big Seahawks fan who sits next to me sez:

* Placky is a good punter
* Shaun Alexander has something left in the tank
* Mike Green... well, he had no comment aside from a snicker

Apparently not too impressed with this Mike Green from his brief stint with the SeaHens. Green's only going to be a depth player for us, though, so, like... um...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

lol @ people trying to call someone out as if it is breaking news Man Vs. Wild is somewhat planned/fake.

So is almost every other show on television geniuses, including 24 and all those other ones. It's entertainment.

Da-uh.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Outsider6, what has Doughty done on the field to show otherwise? Do you watch the Redskins games? He was constantly out of position, he never made an impact, he missed tackles, he is slow, he got beat badly by below average Wr's, he gave up big plays. Why do you think Blache slowly fazed him out of our secondary completely? They fazed him out because he is a major liability on the field. There is a reason we were playing unproven Kareem Moore who has had his fair share of blunders over him as a backup to Chris Horton, who by the way is a rookie who has had more impact in 5 games then Reed Doughty has had in his 3rd year with the Redskins.
I bet anything that Reed will not make it onto any NFL roster next year, simply because he just is not good enough. Same thing happened to Ifeanyi Ohalete.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

I must have missed this one a few years back, what happened with Ohalete giving up his #26 ??

Posted by: dspinx | October 16, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll say I like Doughty as a person and hope he catches back on....somewhere else. Dude is simply not fast enough to play his position. He has crap speed, period. He wraps up well and can make the tackle...but he's just too darn slow.

You do NOT put white people in the secondary anymore, period.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"Chris Horton is clearly are future at Strong Safety with Kareem Moore and Michael Green as backups.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 12:56 PM"

"our"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Good Call, Nate in the PDX.

I'm hoping Doughty overcomes his obstacles to make it somewhere in the NFL. He plays the game like it should be played...he's just not very good.

Posted by: redskins91 | October 16, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Skins28, there's a huge difference between being a sound backup (Doughty) and a horrible football player. Doughty's role -- altered by the tragic passing of Sean Taylor -- was to be that quality backup/special teams beast. The guy is tremendously bright, always where he's supposed to be, and fulfilled his intended role very well. He was never supposed to be a starter. That doesn't make him "horrible". And let's face it, Horton was just a great find. Love that kid.

So to review: Doughty's a a hard-working, classy guy who we'd be lucky to have back if healthy. I never said he was Pro Bowl-caliber... I was quite rightly pointing out that your comment that's he's a "horrible football player" suggests you're a pretty horrible judge of talent.

Posted by: outsider6 | October 16, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

random question - How is Colt Brennan coming along in practices? Will he be ready to be THE backup QB next year?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

If Doughty is done and out of the NFL for good, I hope that the Danny is a good sport and tries to find something for the guy within the organization. He was not a great player but he did what was asked of him. Maybe get him a job helping out with Tape or something like that. We can always use another scout.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 16, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Mad Men on AMC is the best show on tv right now. i watch prison break but only cuz i'm invested in it now and not for any other reason. actually my fav. to watch on that show is is t-bag. everyone else blows on that show.

i like don on Mad Men and also his wife. i liked that they split up. the writing is awesome on that show. don't know how long they can keep it up.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 16, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | October 16, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Okay guys, I am glad this got posted. I moved from Annapolis to Dayton and am planing on going to the game the 14th. I seriously want as many people to come as possible. Every year around this time Bungals fans start getting fairweather fever and dumping tickets. Why not make them pay by filling the stadium with burgundy and gold?

Fly into Dayton from BWI instead of Cinci. Airtran flies that route and it is the cheapest. It is only an hour drive to Cinci from there. You may also want to stay just north of Cinci, it is nicer than downtown and the rooms are cheaper.

P.S. I am flying out for the game again this Sunday so if you see me in section 216 say hey!

Posted by: billy881 | October 16, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Not to pick apart your post here skins28, but in one post dogged Doughty saying that he's a terrible player, which I don't think is entirely accurate. Then in your next post have a level of sympathy for him.

That's bipolar like behavior, dude.

And Carlos Rogers while improving this year isn't someone I would define as a "great player" just yet.

Sorry, dude. I hate when new threads are posted sometimes. It seems to slow down the conversation--meaning I have nothing to do but pick apart the first few post in the thread. The ball sort of bounced your way today, again my apologies, nothing personal.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 16, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

"and lost is a close second now to mad men for writing. lost however takes it for its ingenuinety(sp)

Posted by: dealer1 | October 16, 2008 1:20 PM "

lol no

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

P.P.S. If anyone is coming out to Cinci shoot me an email: billy881@msn.com

We can plan a tailgate, party the weekend and have an overall great time! I have about 10 skins fans recruited so far, all locals so we need some out of towners...

Posted by: billy881 | October 16, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Outsider6 dude the guy sucks, he is even worthless as a backup. I would rather bring back journeyman Omar Stoutemire then have him.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Posted by: dspinx | October 16, 2008 1:13 PM

Do a wikipedia search on Ohalete, it'll give you the skinny there.

Posted by: Cobain | October 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

RedDmv, Just because I do not think very highly of him as a football player, because I watch him out there suck and get benched in the middle of games. Why am I not allowed to show any sympathy for the guy? He is partially deaf and now has a messed up back. He simply does not have the talent. case closed.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: tafka | October 16, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Da-uh.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 16, 2008 1:07 PM

The other shows are not touting themselves as being a real show, they pretty much lie by saying he stays out there by himself for a week.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 16, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I guess all you clowns, think you know more then Greg Blache, why do you think we has been fazed out completely from our secondary in the last few weeks? It is because he flat out sucks. End of Story.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 16, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

and he wasn't "fazed out".... he was hurt! He and Horton were sharing time, though Horton clearly had become the starter. Moore only got on field when Doughty got hurt and Blache would no doubt prefer Doughty. Moore's not ready.

End of story.

Posted by: outsider6 | October 16, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

+++He is a horrible football player, sorry but I do not want him back with the Skins.

Posted by: Skins28+++

And I'll bet some people don't want posters on this board who can't realize Doughty horribleness was caused, in all likelihood, by a bad back. Kid played GREAT at the end of last year and he wouldn't be the first player trying to tough it out when an injury reduced his effectiveness.

And yeah, Horton is playing like a tehn yearstarter, but with the skills he showed last year, when healthy Doughty is a find spot player.

I LOVE how people here who call in sick for a hangover or hangnail love to evaluate injured players.

Posted by: TheCork | October 16, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Well said Cork! Skins28 clearly doesn't know football... or what it's like to play hurt.

Posted by: outsider6 | October 16, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Reed!
Gonna miss you, man (snip snip)
If you go under the knife, make sure you ask them about your hearing.
Hope to see you back next season.

Posted by: HelzYea2DaSkinz | October 16, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse