DraftCast -- Live on washingtonpost.com Saturday

RI readers:

If you're looking for your Redskins fix on Saturday, we have just the thing for you.

During the first round of the NFL draft, washingtonpost.com will stream a live Web cast with reporting and analysis from Post reporters (including the Jasons), editors (including the Cindy) and an additional cast of thousands (give or take) from inside and outside the Post.

We'll talk about the draft as a whole, but our primary concentration will be on the Redskins and their picks. We'll also read and answer user questions submitted by email. We really think we'll have the best and most immediate information you'll be able to get on the Redskins draft machinations on Saturday.

You'll be able to tune in to DraftCast using this link starting at 2:30 pm ... hope to see you there!

Jon DeNunzio
Sports editor, washingtonpost.com

By Jon DeNunzio  |  April 25, 2008; 1:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: En Route To Oklahoma (UPDATED - And JC Is Rolling With Them)
Next: Jordy Nelson

Comments

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 25, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

WAY TO GO JASON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POOLMANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Don't you want a sack master like Jason? Just fork over that number one...

Posted by: Parcels | April 25, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Jibba Jabba

LOST didn't jump the shark tonight,. It jumped a school of Killer Whales. Just awful.

Keep the Picks. Rebuild from within. Get Danny into Hype Junkie rehab.

Posted by: Corkczar & Hugo | April 25, 2008 3:08 AM | Report abuse

>>>

Bad move. He plays the same position as Carter. The skins can't start two 250 pound DEs. Get somebody they need, not a backup for one of the few positions that's solid.

If The danny HAS to make a splash, please let it be Boldin. The others being discussed are as bad as his past mistakes.

Posted by: Corkczar | April 25, 2008 3:24 AM | Report abuse

>>>

Bad move. He plays the same position as Carter. The skins can't start two 250 pound DEs. Get somebody they need, not a backup for one of hte few positions that's solid.

If The danny HAS to make a splash, please let it be Boldin. The other being discussed are as bad as his past mistakes.

Posted by: Corkczar | April 25, 2008 3:24 AM | Report abuse

How are you coming, Jasno, with your "funny nickname" for Vinnie? Maybe you can debut that during your draft coverage. Just one more twist for us to look forward to in your continuing, objective, factual Redskin analysis.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey man,

It's "The Cindy".

Posted by: charlie | April 25, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Papa Joe | April 25, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

The print edition today repeats Jasno's post from yesterday that "The Redskins are interested in former University of San Diego quarterback Josh Johnson (6-3, 198)...but Johnson could be off the board before the Redskins would want to pick him, probably after the third round."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Blog A-hole factor high early this AM....

Posted by: chris larry | April 25, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

a-holes like to get an early start to their day to spread as much a-holism as possible throughout society.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

You can't start two 250lb DEs? I guess that explains the Giant's downfall last season.

Trade the pick -- get Taylor.

Posted by: | | April 25, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I think the blog is officially dead!

Posted by: Dr. Kervorkian | April 25, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

He'res some non-football related blog CPR:

Posted by: etrid | April 25, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that was some of the worst typing I've ever seen. Couldn't even get my handle right!

I haven't been BMGO lately so I'm a little rusty.

Posted by: etrod | April 25, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

The way these guys talk about Josh Johnson, he sounds like a perfect fit for the Skins, esp. after he gets a year or three of Zorn learnin' under his belt for mechanics.

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Also, the way these guys talk about Merling, he is nearly a one-for-one replacement of Phillip Daniels (after a few seasons of stronging up to be like Daniels, the strongest dude on the team upper body wise), plus Merling is about a decade younger.

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

If the Skins FO is using newerascouting info, then Branden Albert would not be a candidate ... because he would not be a perfect replacement for Kendall ... Albert doesn't talk with a funny accent.

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

There's maybe a 5% chance Washington will still have a pick in the 1st round by the time their name comes up.

Miami's going to take Johnson in the 4th round unless somebody else grabs him earlier.

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | April 25, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Well, not unless you think Glen Burnie-talk sounds funny.

[This post brought to you by the Coen Brother's "Raising Arizona":

Evell Nokes: "You got any balloons that make funny shapes?"

Old Man: "Not unless you think round is funny."]

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"I'll be taking these Huggies and whatever you've got in the register."

Posted by: etrod | April 25, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Good to see you up here, etrud.

sween, are you sure it's not pronounced "al-bare," in the style of Steven Colbert?

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: etrod | April 25, 2008 9:55 AM

Are you the original or non-original etrod?

Posted by: 4th | April 25, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

sween, sween, sween...

Evelle Snoats: "Hey, these blow up into funny shapes at all?"

Old man: "Well, no... unless round is funny."

and my personal favorite:

Evelle: "Oh, Hi, you're young and you got your health. What do you want with a job?"

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Are you the original or non-original etrod?

Posted by: 4th | April 25, 2008 10:25 AM

I'm the blogger formerly known as Original_etrod who was orginally etrod.

Hope that clears it up.

Posted by: etrod | April 25, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

NFL Draft tomorrow guys and gals, just an FYI.

Posted by: Sgt. Obvious | April 25, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

H.I.: Edwina's insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase.

Posted by: etrod | April 25, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Son, you got a panty on your head.

Posted by: Matt | April 25, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, I thought Lost rocked last night. The mythology keeps getting more interesting.

*** Spoiler Q's for those who haven't watched their TiVo yet ***

How did Ben get off the island? Where did he go when he went into the secret room squeaky clean but came out all covered in soot? Why can't Charles Widmore be killed? Why did an entire house blow up but Claire was still safe? Why is Hurley the key to finding Jacob? WTF is Jacob?

Posted by: P Diddy | April 25, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I haven't been keeping up with the blog the last few days so have not seen the reactions to the possible CJ trade. It sounds like the Bengals owner is set on not trading CJ even though the Skins have offered, once again way too much. I just wanted to put it out there, I am begging Danny and Vinny to NOT trade away our future to get an aging WR with 2 maybe 3 more productive years left. We can address our WR and OL or DL line needs with our first 2 picks and at a much cheaper price for both than acquiring Chad Johnson. The idea that we are seriosuly considering trading our 1st this year, and a conditional 3rd bext year that could possibly be a 1st baffles me. The whole talk about having a better understanding of how to built a winning franchise has all been BS. I don't know about anyone else, but if they make this trade on draft day, it will be very hard for me to support. As fans, I feel that we invest a lot into our team and it would be nice, for one time to feel that management is making moves that are good viable options for the future. For once, this offseason it seemed like they were on the right track. Keeping draft picks, not over spending on free agents and even though the coaching search was a circus, I had the feeling that Zorn would bring a shot of life to the organization. If anyone out there feels the same way or has anything to add, I'd love to hear it. Because I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

Posted by: Rob | April 25, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Sgt. Obvious, I appreciate the report. Now get back to your station! I need you with your platoon, patrolling the area looking for more critical, painfully obvious information to share with the blog. You're no use to me here at HQ. Trust me, I have it under control.

-Capt. Obvious

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I have been paying exactly zero attention to NFL Draft news. Do we have a general consensus on RI on what Mr. Snyder and his Lonely Hearts Club Band should do?

You know, individually we're all a bunch of a-holes spouting opinions. Together, we're an unstoppable mob of a-holes spouting opinions.

Posted by: P Diddy | April 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Diddy's right. None of is as dumb as all of us!

Posted by: etrod | April 25, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Big ups to the Wiz-Ards!

Chanting 'Over-Rated' was big! Did you see how Le-Bran smiled andd missed the Free Throws? (It didn't seem to matter too much since my sources tell me LeBran and the crew were partying at 14th & Park last night and having fun...).

Also, did you see that Solder(sp?)-Boy wearing the Stevenson Jersey? (Deshawn called Solja (sp?)-Boy and asked him to come ot the game after LeBran said responding t oDeShawn was like responding to Soldja (sp?) Boy)...

Also, Buckhantz made a comment comparing DeShawn to Solja(sp?)-Boy, but the comment was really refering to DeShawn performing like a real Soldier. That was funny (to me at least)....

Posted by: 4th | April 25, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Rob, you're not alone -- I think the majority of folks who've weighed in on the topic are not in favor of a trade for CJ. Because of his age, because of his attitude, because of how much we'd have to give up, because it is the opposite of building through the draft and seems like a return to Snyder's reckless star-chasing ... or a combination of those. Just like you.

There are plenty of folks up here who would like to see us get CJ, though, mostly because he's a hell of a ball player, a bona fide #1 WR, and a big fella to boot. There is a general agreement that we could use a big WR...

I'm in the 'no on CJ' camp. I don't want to hear anything about the Skins getting a WR until we make our second-round pick, at the earliest.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

sure are a lot of geeks up here

Posted by: JBL | April 25, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

You thought RI w/o registration was bad.

Well, look at these comments. Imagine JLac writing that we cheated in a previous SB right before we played in a SB trying to go 19-0.......

Posted by: 4th | April 25, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you Rob but don't understand why you are baffled. What about the past 10 years suggests this is something out of character. We're just lucky the Bengals are the stupidest organization in the NFL. By the time training camp is in full swing and Johnson is in full blown TO mode, they won't get anything more than a third rounder for him.

Posted by: virtueandvice | April 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

4th, your in the wrong blog dog, Scroll down a little further on the blog homepage and you'll see the Wizards section.

Posted by: virtueandvice | April 25, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I also thought LOST rocked last night.

*Spoilers*

I think Claire survived just because they (the writers) promised that characters would die and they wanted everyone to think it was Claire. Maybe I'm over simplifying it, but that was my thought.

I thought it was cool how both Widmore and Ben had half their faces in the shadows during that entire last scene. What does that mean? And Widmore saying it was his island first. Still pondering that whole thing.

I enjoyed seeing how Sayid became a hit man.

What a great story.

Posted by: mmok | April 25, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

So the draft starts at 3pm Eastern, and teams are allotted ten minutes per pick? So if the Skins retain the #21 pick, they should be picking somewhere around 6pm Eastern?

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

What if Atlanta had somebody they liked at 21? Atlanta has picks at 34, 37, 48, and 68.

We could trade 21 (800 pts) and 51 (390 pts) for 34 (570) and 37 (550). That way we're more assured of getting Nelson, and can take Lawrence Jackson or somebody.

Or we could trade 21 (800) and the 3rd at 84 (170) for the 34 (570) and 48 (430). That nets three picks in round 2.

These trades leave Atlanta with just as many picks as they started with, which could be an issue for them. It would all be about position.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 25, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Virtue-n-vice - Sorry, I use this blog for CAPS, Football, Wizards, Politico, Jibba-Jabba, and my own rants. Think of it as a one in all blog, with the cover of the REdskins.

Speaking of football and my own rants combined - This is a great post from the Patriots Beat Reporter bashing, which happens to be the same way I feel towards Whitlock:

"HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I see you Patsie MORONS are still stinging over 18 and ONE!!!! You all obviously pay attention to Tomase's stories, seeing has how you comment on every single one. Keep giving him the page hits - his bosses love it!!! Keeps those advertising dollars rolling in, which makes Tomase too valuable to fire!!! Morons!!! Can't even protest someone correctly, instead you make him a hero for his paper!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing - as usual- at the ineptitude of New Englanders!!!!!!!!!!! You all do not deserve your championships - karma will come back and bite you in the arses!!! HAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
#261935 - Apr 25, 2008 8:34 AM EDT Report Abuse
"

Posted by: 4th | April 25, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Snyderatto only has a 30 hour or so window to do something stupid. Hurry up clock. I found that pretty interesting how they did that bailing on Sean Taylor's workout right after watching Winslow. They aren't completely stupid, just stupidly overpay in trades.

Posted by: cdubb | April 25, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I remember reading last year that the skins were trying to move back into the first round to draft Jarvis Moss. Anyone think they might actually try to move up and go after someone similar like Derrick Harvey? Denver reportedly has been looking at trading down. Hmm. Personally I'd rather they kept their picks but moving up would be something different that no ones talking about.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 25, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

On last nights Episode of Lost, here is an email I got from a friend. Its an article from somewhere. Sorry i dont have a link, but this guy does Lost write-ups every week:

Exactly two years from now, when ''Lost'' is in the home stretch of its final season, I have no doubt that the editors here will suggest the nifty idea of setting the stage for the show's climactic arc with (what else?) a list. In fact, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sneak into my secret room (sorry: can't let you in) and confirm this inevitable assignment by popping into the future using my own wormhole-powered Quantum Leapster. Just let me set the controls and follow the directions on my ancient hieroglyphic tablet here and...BZZZZZZ-BLINK. Bingo! There I am, sitting at my desk on April 25, 2010, typing up the list, just as I expected (except for the part where I'm actually employed by Wood Cabinetry Weekly; what the hell happened to me?), and there it is, sitting very high on this ranking of all-time pivotal Lost moments, the scene that we all witnessed in last night's episode: Ben's shell-shocked reaction to the assassination of his adopted daughter, Alex: ''He changed the rules.'' As for No. 1 on the list, that would be season 5's revelation that Jack is actually...BZZZZZZZ-BLINK. Damn! My frakking Quantum Leapster ran out of juice! Stupid alien technology! Maybe next week....

Of course, the irony of my fantastical scenario lies in the profound significance of Alex's death. The future has become unknowable and unreliable -- at least as far as the once great and powerful Oz of the Others, is concerned. ''He changed the rules,'' muttered Ben, his battered and bloodied face dawning with horrifying awareness. ''He'' is Charles Widmore, the man on the other side of the cosmic chessboard to which fate-whipped Ben is shackled. And in ''The Shape of Things to Come'' -- the ninth episode of Lost's fourth season -- the whiskey-soused, nightmare-plagued billionaire Brit made a desperate, most unexpected move against Ben in his mad bid to gain (or is that regain?) that which was once his in the past, or (buckle up for this one, kids) that which was supposed to be his in the future.

P
L
O
O
O
O
OOOOOOOOOOOOOP.

(That was your brain sliding out your head and onto the floor, wasn't it? Don't worry. It gets slightly less ridiculous from here.) (Maybe.)

Benjamin...Benjamin of Araaaaaaabia!

''The Shape of Things to Come'' was one of those deliciously dense episodes in which the nourishment of revelation is mixed with huge chunks of sugary intrigue. Case in point: Ben's flash-forward, a kind of Indiana Jones tale -- that is, if said tale focused exclusively on that evil idol-swiping rogue Rene Belloq. It began in the Sahara, where King Other suddenly (but perhaps not unexpectedly) found himself lying in the broiling North African sand, suffering from a bloody wound on his arm (also unexplained) and wearing a borrowed Dharma Initiative-issued winter parka. Was that a gust of frigid air we saw escape his mouth? I thought so. If Ben can bend space and time like our friend Hiro Nakamura -- and this episode was studded with clues suggesting he has the means to do so -- perhaps moments before doing the old squishy-blinky he was hanging with Penelope's geologists in the Arctic Circle. Or building a snowman with Henry Gale in Minnesota! Time to brush off my Heroes/Lost theory....

Seriously, I think we are looking at some kind of time-warping teleportation hoo-ha here. The name on Ben's Dharma jacket merits investigation: ''Halliwax.'' If you've seen the Internet-distributed orientation video for the Orchid, a Dharma station not yet seen in the show (but it will be -- soon), you know it was narrated by the latest incarnation of Marvin Candle/Mark Wickmund, one Edgar Halliwax. You are probably also aware that the popular speculation is that the Orchid was conducting teleportation and/or time-travel experiments, perhaps using polar bears as guinea pigs. Did Ben launch himself into the Sahara from Dharma's own Quantum Leapster? And when? Is that where Ben disappeared to when he ducked behind his glyph door? Or is his time traveling yet to come?

Like Ben, I'm getting ahead of myself. After dispatching two gun-toting Bedouins on horseback, Ben wearily trekked to Tozeur, Tunisia. (Famous denizens: Aboul-Qacem Echebbi, a poet whose famed poem ''To the Tyrants of the World'' sounds like it was written for Charles Widmore.) Like Peter O'Toole walking out of the desert in Lawrence of Arabia, Ben walked into a hotel dusty and parched and checked in under his On the Road-inspired alias, Dean Moriarty. How often has Ben been here? He claimed that he was a ''preferred guest,'' and the clerk's nervous eyes confirmed that he was either an important client or a really notorious one. Oh, no! Not the guy who whizzes on the walls again! She was also a tad baffled when Ben fished for the correct date. It was October 24, 2005. I'll let you guys research the date for illuminating connections, although I can't resist noting that (1) October 24 is Take Back Your Time Day, appropriate to this season's time-travel themes, and (2) October 24, 1593, is the day in which a Spanish soldier named Gil Perez ''suddenly appeared'' in Mexico City, claiming that he had just teleported from the Philippines. Believe it...or noooooot. (My Jack Palance needs some work, huh?)

Of course, we must note here that Lost has once before brought us to Tunisia. Flash back to ''Confirmed Dead,'' when freighter folkster Charlotte Lewis discovered the Hydra-station tag at an archaeological dig -- the one that turned up a polar-bear skeleton. In my ''Confirmed Dead'' TV Watch, I wondered if Dharma was using polar bears as guinea pigs in its time/space-warping experiments. But given the implication that Ben is something of a frequent visitor to Tozeur, I wonder if he's the conniving agent responsible for the skeleton. After all, there is the increasingly popular theory -- well promulgated in this space over the years -- that dark forces have been manipulating the lives of the castaways so that they would wind up on the Island for the purpose of preserving (or destroying) the current timeline. Certainly the freighter folk could have been similarly manipulated; did Ben plant that dead polar bear in the desert to facilitate a future in which Charlotte came to the Island? Time will tell.

After Tozeur, globe-trotting Ben bummed it to Iraq, which also happens to provide a crucial setting for the book from which this episode took its title: H.G. Wells' 1933 novel The Shape of Things to Come, a work of speculative sci-fi in which a technologically oriented cabal based in Basra attempts to foist its notion of world-state utopia upon the planet. (Wells also penned a screen adaptation, 1936's Things to Come, in case you believe that investigating a moldy movie for Lost resonance is easier than reading a moldy book.) What brought Ben to Iraq? Giving flash-forward Sayid his avenging-angel makeover. We discovered that early in his off-Island Oceanic 6 life, Sayid reunited with lost love Nadia and married her. Alas, shortly before the events of this episode, she was killed, and according to Ben, the murderer was an assassin in the employ of Charles Widmore. Ben's pursuit of this Widmore pawn was merely an elaborate setup designed to manipulate Sayid into wanting to become his dark-knight avenger -- confirmation of and payoff to Sayid's cryptic assertion in the climactic twist ending to ''The Economist.'' But the revelation here is that both master and servant -- the Darth Sidious and Darth Maul of Lost -- are motivated by deep personal loss. With just a few scenes to execute this business in a busy-busy episode, Michael Emerson and Naveen Andrews did some really nice work selling us on everything we needed to know and feel about their angry, bloody alliance. (Coincidence or conspiracy? Bob Kane -- creator of pop culture's most famous heartbreak-spawned dark knight, Batman -- was born in 1915 on...October 24.)

There Will Be Blood. And Smokey, Too!

Ben's V for Vendetta motivations were established in his part of the episode's Island-present story, in which Widmore's freighter mercenaries stormed New Otherton determined to abduct their boss' nemesis. I liked the comedic touches: the high-stakes game of Risk (Sawyer's foolish if successful play for Siberia foreshadowed Ben's mad and unsuccessful gambit to save Alex); the ringing phone signaling the deactivation of the sonic fence (''I think it's for Ben''); the ringing doorbell bringing Miles Straume into the action. (I was also amused to learn Ben was hiding a shotgun in his piano bench; so much for being under house arrest.) The action was intense; lots of redshirts got wasted, while Claire's house was obliterated by a rocket, though Aaron's mama herself survived. Kinda hard to believe, but I rolled with it. (FYI: A scene in which Claire experienced a hallucination/prophetic vision was shot for this episode but cut for lack of running time, but I'm told we can expect Claire intrigue to ramp up next week.)

The death of Alex was hardcore. Clearly, the girl's executioner, Keamy, didn't want to pull the trigger, despite his vaunted Ugandan badassery. My take on what happened is this: Papa Linus -- hoping Keamy wouldn't have the stones to kill Alex if it gained him nothing -- tried to convince him that his adopted daughter, kidnapped from ''an insane woman'' out of pity, really did mean nothing to him. It was a moment reminiscent of the coldhearted father-son square-off in the final act of There Will Be Blood. (I will spoil no further if you haven't seen it.) Keamy put a bullet in the back of Alex's head, anyway. Ben was devastated, naturally, but there was more to his soul-rocked shock than the mere sight of Alex's murder. My interpretation of ''He changed the rules'' wasn't so much Widmore and I agreed to wage our battle according to a certain set of limitations and regulations, but rather, simply This was not supposed to happen. As I've long insisted, I believe Ben's genius is derived from having knowledge of future events, via time travel, Desmond-esque precognitive flashes, or the other hot conjecture of the moment, time-loop theory, the idea that Ben has lived this life many times before. So a monkey wrench like this pretty much wrecks Ben's entire game.

Then came the episode's other soon-to-launch-a-thousand-theories scene, not to mention what might be one of the most important ''Easter eggs'' Lost has ever planted. After yanking himself out of his stupor, Ben retreated to his secret room, the Island's wizard scurrying behind his curtain to consult his gizmos and magic for answers. Shutting out Locke and company, Ben opened a wooden door carved with all sorts of hieroglyphics -- similar to the ones on the countdown timer in the Hatch -- and disappeared down a secret passage. As it happens, when I visited the set of Lost a few weeks ago during the filming of this episode, I stumbled on the glyph door. Take a look:

Have fun decoding that. I'll take my stab at a theory in my Doc Jensen column next week. But where did Ben go? For now, I'm going to side with what is certain to be the popular conjecture: that he crawled into the Island underworld and asked Smokey the hellhound to eat that bad man who killed his daughter. His ash-covered clothes would seem to confirm that. So would the fearlessness and glee on his face as Smokey indeed thrashed the freighter mercs to death in the most spectacular display of Smokeyness the show has ever given us; it reminded me of the God storm unleashed upon the Nazis at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. While all of this seems almost too obvious to be true, for the moment I can't come up with any alternative theories, but if we were to find out that Ben's hidden corridor leads to the Dharma Quantum Leapster (created, no doubt, using instructions decoded from that glyph door), and that in the five minutes he was absent from Locke and company he did weeks if not months of off-Island traveling (and grieving, regrouping, and re-strategizing) before coming back focused, strong, and empowered with the necessary knowledge to defeat his enemies, well, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Island...

Jack wobbled around the beach, sick; the freighter doctor washed up in the surf, throat slit; Faraday telegraphed the freighter and told the castaways that all was cool, that the choppers were coming to rescue them in the morning; Bernard, who can decipher Morse code, busted Faraday for lying, revealing that what the freaky physicist was actually told was that the freighter doctor was still on the boat, alive and well; and Jack, finally resigning himself to the fact that Locke was right and he was wrong about the freighter folk, asked the question that promises to finally galvanize his season 4 story line: ''Were you ever going to take us off of this island?'' Faraday broke his heart: ''No.''

I'm sticking to basics here, as I happen to know more than I can tell; reporting our recent feature story made me privy to upcoming developments in the Jack Camp arc, and I find it hard to analyze and theorize without betraying what I know. More on this next week.

(Fun Fact! The first U.S. transcontinental telegraph line was finished on -- yep -- October 24, 1861.)

London Calling

In the episode's final moments, Ben paid a visit to Charles Widmore at his London home in the middle of the night. Ben blasted his enemy for killing his daughter. Widmore -- who has taken to self-medicating with MacScotch as a result of nightmares -- blasted right back, saying it was Ben's own damn fault that Alex was dead. ''We both know very well that I didn't murder her at all, Benjamin....You have the audacity to pretend you're the victim....I know who you are, boy! What you are. I know everything you have you took from me....That island's mine, Benjamin. It always was. It will be again.'' Ben then dared him to find it -- right after pledging to get even with his game-changing opponent by killing his daughter, too: none other than Desmond's sweetie, Penelope.

Widmore's cryptic comments will no doubt be as debated as the glyph door. My interpretation returns us to the beginning. Ben and Widmore seem to be engaged in a war -- a war for the Island, a war over time itself. For a long time, Ben was winning that war by either facilitating or managing a new timeline of events, one that denies Widmore his predestined life -- a life that may have been ruinous for the entire world. But victory for Ben hinges on knowing or at least anticipating the future -- and with Alex's unforeseeable death, it appears Ben has become omnisciently challenged. Once, he was able to see the shape of things to come. Now, the future is as hazy as Smokey himself.

And with that -- PLOOOP! I turn it over to you. What did you see? What are your theories? Why do you think it's so important to Ben that Locke stay alive? What do you think is ailing Jack? Go!

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 25, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

On the redskins front,

Here is a rumor on extremeskins. Take it for what its worth, but the rumor is coming from a guy with over 5000 posts.

"I know these types of threads are usually **** canned but whatever, I just thought I'd share with you guys.

My buddy was golfing with one of the members of the Redskins medical staff and he told him that a big name player came in for a physical and a draft day trade will be made...he could not tell him the players name though.

Now take this for what its worth (which is not much) but I thought I would just pass that along...the most obvious name which comes to mind is Chad Johnson of course but who knows the guy may have just been messing with him."

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 25, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 25, 2008 11:33 AM

Though he is a area kid (Eleanor Roosevelt H, Greenbelt, MD )- I say no. He looked too small (to me at least) trying to play the DE position. I haven't been keeping up with the draft this year, but I know that 225 is way too small to be a DE. You gotta be atleast 250 lbs., I would think. Maybe he should convert to a OLB??

Posted by: 4th | April 25, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Derrick Harvey is at 271 now. That was the weight at which he worked out at the combine.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

4th - nfl.com has Harvey listed at 252 lbs. He sounds similar in size and playing style to Carter. I'm not crazy about them giving up picks to move up, especially if Merling is there at 21 - I like him more anyway. I just found it interesting that moving up doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar - maybe by design.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 25, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

After capping his sophomore season with a defensive MVP performance in the national title game - three sacks and one fumble recovery - Harvey could have followed 17 of his teammates to the NFL draft. Instead, he decided to work on his fundamentals, strength and size for another year. At 6-4 and 271 pounds, he impressed at the NFL Combine by clocking 4.85 seconds in the 40-yard dash and bench-pressing 225 pounds 31 times. He has spent the past few weeks visiting different franchises. Houchens said Harvey has liked the Bucs, Jets and Lions, though he would be happy to go to work anywhere. "I'm hearing top 15," Harvey said at Pro Day. "But I'm just trying to get picked up." - Jenna Marina, Tampa Tribune

Posted by: From Draft Scout | April 25, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

My friend has an ex who knows a guy who went to college with a girl who had an affair with a professor who once went to a doctor who read on the internet that a big name player came to town for a physical. That makes two people who have heard the rumor so it is true fo sho'!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

In any case, Harvey and Merling are now about the same size. Harvey is still more of a speed rusher, while Merling is considered to be more "scientific", using leverage, good angles, and strength (much like P. Daniels). Harvey will probably get more sacks. Merling is very strong against the run. If not for the hernia surgery, Harvey and Merling would have an equal rating (top 15).

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the spoiler alerts guys.

Talk Show Host, I look forward to that long post I had to scroll through after I watch the show.

The only WR worth giving up a #1 for would be Roy Williams.

We can get the others for less AFTER the draft.

Posted by: Zebra | April 25, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks guys. I told you I wasn't keeping up with the players. The Mock draft hype is over with me.

Re: Harvey - That's alot of weight that was gained without taking HGH or Steriods. I would be kind of skeptical about that, so I would steel say no to HArvey.

Re: Rumor - Physical -

It is very believable. But, just because you came in for a ohysical dosen't mean you will be traded. And, I heavily doubt it was Chad Johnson. It could be Boldin, though. I don't see us making a trade for a player unless it's a receiver.

I have some info that would've been very very informative to you guys about a very beloved recent former player on the Redskins, but have chossen to hold out because I don't really want to bag on the guy since it really dosen't matter now. My best friend works at a place that has high-profile clients(John McLaughlin, Maureen Bunyon, and other locals on TZ and rich people). Well, one of his clients is the Personal Security Guy for Snyder. He knows my friend is an avid Redskin fan and this dude spills the beans on a lot of Players with info that dosen't even get into the media......

Posted by: 4th | April 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Vinny will consider trading up into the top 10 to get Harvey, since Merling will probably be available closer to #21. What we do have to be worried about is Vinny burning up extra picks to move up to around the #8 pick to grab Sedrick Ellis. The Patriots seem to want Gholston and if they can't get him at #8, they may want to trade down and take Mayo late in the 1st round instead.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

4th, Who had injuries? Roy and Anquan yes?

J Taylor?

at least there is somthing to talk about til 3 tomorrow.

BTW, good to be back.

Posted by: Zebra | April 25, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

NOMINEE...

BRAVE ANONYMOUS POSTER OXYMORON AWARD

"Contintuous analysis of the draft by Jason La Canfora? This is wonderful news. Now we can know after every team's pick exactly what the Redskins did wrong and how they'll continue to screw it up.

Posted by: | April 25, 2008 7:14 AM"

Posted by: Corkczar | April 25, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The possible Sedrick Ellis move is known as "Vinny's Big Surprise".

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Zebra! Welcome back, dude.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

+++"Not sure how Jasno rates him so high. Pat Kirwan rates him as the 10th best QB in the draft and expects him to be taken in the 6th or 7th round. Who do you think is the better talent evaluator -- Pat Kirwan, the former GM, or Jasno La Ca, the former beat reporter for the Caps?"+++ANON POSTER

I'm going with the GMs who picked sa half dozen QBs ahead of Dan Marino and who had Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler and David Klingler rated near the top.

It's a crap shoot. Hey brave anonymous guy... We're all just A--holes with opinions, and I suspect your hating of Jasno is because he's an A--hole who gets PAID for his opinions.

Posted by: Corkczar | April 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Anon, they have 7th not 8th. 8 is the Ravens

Posted by: Zebra | April 25, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The skins should probably hold steady and make a pick at 21, unless someone wants to trade on draft day when it's their pick and offer a deal they can't refuse. (Which they can't if Danny wakes up with a Bronco's head in his bed.) If Merling and all the other linemen are gone then one of the top three CBs will probably be there, or at least someone like Mayo. Just don't freak out and take a WR at 21.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 25, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

*** Spoiler Q's for those who haven't watched their TiVo yet ***

Posted by: P Diddy | April 25, 2008 10:47 AM

Respect your opinion P. Did, but to me LOST is getting farther and farther away from anything approaching Realioty based, and may reach critical mass, where the ONLY explanation is that it was the fevered dreams of those about to die as the plane went down. And THAT would be a cheat.

Last night took it that much closer to "Ghostbusters"--so much so that I'm keeping an Eagle eye out for dogs and cats sleeping together.

I can deal with Time Warps, and odd animals are explainable--but once Ben summoned up his Magic Smoke to kill the bad guys becauee "they changed the rules,...?"

To me, at that point it became just Venkman and he boys with the Smoke playing the role of the Marshmallow Stay Puft Man, only not nearly so funny.

Will these shenanigans drive me away? Are you kidding? I got four years invested. And it recovered from a midyear slump last year. I'm sticking around. Just thought last night was disappointing.

Posted by: Corkczar & Hugo | April 25, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

+++I thought it was cool how both Widmore and Ben had half their faces in the shadows during that entire last scene. What does that mean? +++++--MMOK

It means the DP is looking to move up to features. But you're right, it was a cool effect.

Posted by: corkczar & Hugo | April 25, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The only WR worth giving up a #1 for would be Roy Williams.

We can get the others for less AFTER the draft.

Posted by: Zebra | April 25, 2008 11:59 AM

I think Boldin would be very worthy of a #1.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 25, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, this is my FOURTH POST!! Where the hell's the NEW THREAD?

Posted by: Corkczar & Hugo | April 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Nate.

mt, I havent Heard Roy wants out of detroit. So you would have to pry him away.

CJ and Anquan want out, so they most likely will be moved. Unless the skins try to pay too much, if we sit tight they will be avail after the draft, say post june 1.

But in Williams case, they price needs to be right since there isnt a need or want to get rid of him. So while I said worth, maybe I should have said necessary.

Posted by: Zebra | April 25, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Assuming the SKINS get a DL and a OL with their top TWO picks...

AND if he's there in after the 'skins pick in the second... I'd LOVE to see the skins trade their #3, one of their sevens and BETTS to move up and nab Ray Rice of Rutgers. (AND they'd still have their COMP pick in the third for a WR...)

I think Rice is the next Jones-Drew, and not only would contribute more than Betts this year, but add some years to Portis's career by taking off some of the load.

Posted by: Corkczar | April 25, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Lost fans- The dude who plays Desmond on the show is having a live chat at 1:30pm today.

- .250

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

don't know if anyone would actually know this, but I'm in asia right now and was wondering if I would be able to rewatch the live feed after it aired, cause that would be like 2 in the morning for me. great blog by the way.

Posted by: ummm | April 25, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

here are my theories

Q: How did Ben get off the island?

A: Ben has the ability to teleport. Whether this is an innate superhuman ability, technology based, or island magic based, they have established he has that power - at the beginning of this past episode, he materialized in the sahara desert wearing a dharma parka. He was bleeding, as if he had just been in a battle of some kind. Anyway, if you noticed, when they first showed ben, cold breath came out of his mouth... Ben had just teleported from somewhere cold. (on a side note, in the hurley flashforward episode this season, hurley drew a picture of ben wearing a parka, standing next to an igloo.) In any event, Ben can teleport where he wants.

Q: Where did he go when he went into the secret room squeaky clean but came out all covered in soot?
A: As discussed in the long post above, he was likely having a little talk with smokey. the soot came from smokey.

Q: Why can't Charles Widmore be killed?
A: The same reason Jack couldnt kill himself, the same reason Michael couldnt kill himself--the island won't let them die.

Q: Why did an entire house blow up but Claire was still safe?
A: Because this is television and they werent ready for Claire to die yet. I thought this was pretty lame myself.

Q:Why is Hurley the key to finding Jacob?
A:Havent figured that one out yet.

Q: WTF is Jacob?
A: No clue. I don't think he's "Real" though. I do think he might be the one who controls smokey. I do also think he could have some connection to Richard Alpert. He is, without a doubt, the most interesting character on the show.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 25, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

oh, one more lost thing:

The writers have said that season 5 takes place entirely off the island and that the terms "flashback" and "flashforward" will no longer be relevant.

Any ideas on what happens in season 5? Fortunatly, we will find out in a month or so. The last episode of this season is supposed to be done in the same format of season 5.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 25, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

F LoSt

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Vinny, repeat after me: "Best player available in the first two rounds; fill needs in rounds 3-7."

It's worked for the Pats, Ravens and every other consistently good team.

Posted by: CMoney | April 25, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Just for fun, I thought i would prepare myself for what might end up happening tomorrow. Assuming we trade our 1st and 2nd round picks THIS year for CJ or Boldin (and we would probably throw in something else as well), how would the rest of our draft go? Could we still come out ok? I'm thinking tomorrow could look like this:

Skins 4/26/08 Acquistions: