Dre' Bly wants to be a Skin? That's What I Hear

Numerous league sources, including several who have spoken with Denver cornerback Dre' Bly, said that the player is miffed that he was dealt to the Broncos last week instead of Washington. As I have reported, the Redskins were deep into trade and subsequent contract talks with Bly - a Detroit Lion at the time - and were dangling cornerback Shawn Springs in discussions with those teams.

Springs was coveted by Detroit and Denver, and very open to the possibility of a trade, but the Redskins could not match Denver's offer of two players and a draft pick (the Redskins had no suitable picks in the 2007 draft) and the Lions sent him to the Broncos instead. Once it was clear Bly was going to Denver, the Redskins tried to work out a swap with them, but according to a source, the Redskins asked for cap help deferring the costs of trading Springs ($7.5 million) and Denver refuses (the Broncos did not have a ton of space, either).

However, the Broncos have been unwilling to extend Bly's contract, which has one year and $4.2 million remaining. Bly has told numerous other NFL players that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, in the course of trade talks, was willing to give Bly a new contract including a lucrative signing bonus, and Bly has expressed his concern with remaining a Bronco with several of his new teammates in Denver. He's from Chesapeake, VA, wants to be here and wants that new contract. His agent, Kennard McGuire, initially declined to comment on the matter.

Springs, meantime, has ties to the staffs of both Denver and Detroit, and has said he will not take a pay cut to remain a Redskin this season (he is due to make $6.8 million and carries a high $7.3 million cap figure, which the Redskins have been eager to trim). The team approached Springs about taking a salary cut to remain here earlier this offseason, and he refused; his cap figures are huge each of the next three seasons and some team officials have expressed concerns about his age and injury history.

Sources close to Springs say he remains unsure about his status with the Redskins despite Coach Joe Gibbs saying repeated that he is "counting on Springs" for next season. Denver Coach Mike Shanahan is a big proponent of Springs's play, according to a source, and the Broncos and Redskins have completed trades in each of the past three years and are among the most aggressive teams in the NFL when it comes to swapping players. The Redskins remain very interested in dropping down from the sixth overall pick to acquire additional selections in this year's draft, and the possibility exists of another deal this offseason involving the cornerbacks and/or draft picks.

A trade after June 1 would cost the Redskins just $2.5 million in a cap hit on Springs (with $5 million coming in 2008). Springs is also considering approaching the Redskins about possibility relinquishing several million dollars in deferred payments still owed him in order to facilitate his possible trade or release. Many members of the Redskins staff are thrilled with the possibility of a cornerback trio of Springs, free-agent signing Fred Smoot and youngster Carlos Rogers, but should Bly attempt to force his way out of Denver, the situation bears monitoring, with the huge free agent contracts being thrown around this offseason not going unnoticed by Bly or Springs.

So keep an eye on this one folks. I think there is still a chance for more trade talks to resume. The Broncos are also very high on Ladell Betts, and could make a play in that direction as well as they entertain other RB options. Definitely something I will be monitoring.

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 4, 2007; 4:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Big Spending Is Over
Next: Steve's Guest Blog

Comments

WOW! I'm first.

I would only trade Betts for either a player or two mid round picks. Springs for Dre Bly in a heartbeat. Prediction: Skins D returns to the top 10

Posted by: sicwidit | March 4, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!! very interesting.

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | March 4, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow thats some high level intrigue.....

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Sure, why not? Trade Springs and Betts for Bly, a 2nd, and 2 3rd's. If only we had a GM who could pull that off.

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

While I would like to get the younger Bly for Springs, I'm not to eager to give up a whole lot to make that happen. I think they should keep Betts as part of a potent 1-2 punch which is the growing trend for successful teams.

I don't have a good feeling about this one.

Posted by: Jason | March 4, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry,

Not sure if you caught my post on JLC's previous post but. I friggin love Friday Night Lights and if you want to catch up on it, you can watch all of the episodes on NBC.com

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | March 4, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Lets not go overboard with this.

We need a RB behind Portis. Should it be Betts? That's up for debate. But why would the Broncos want an oft injured Springs over Bly? Unless there is something we don't know.

Posted by: AEE | March 4, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Mole,

From the previous post, would Archuleta fit into the defensive scheme you outlined - where he would not have to be in coverage so much?

Posted by: Mark | March 4, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Unless there is something we don't know.

Posted by: AEE | March 4, 2007 04:27 PM

Its all about a long term contract.

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | March 4, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

JLC you are the man brother hands down. This statement is going to put me in the dog house with Lisa. But trade Springs ass now if you can also pick up some picks for him. Looking at the age and injuries I am not sold on him turning to top form or staying healthy.

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

He's still young. Like he wouldn't produce even more across from Champ? He could be a FA and get an even bigger deal.

At this point, the biggest money has probably already been spent.

Posted by: AEE | March 4, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Indio,

Thanks for the tip I will take advantage of that!

Arch Deluxe could prolly back up The Reaper....I think if we use Arch like they did Matt Bowen in manboobs year one he could be a good weapon...just not an every down dude...

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I understand thats there's a lady on RI (Lisa) that wont agree with this... but I would love to have Dre Bly over Springs. He just is way too injury prone and doesnt seem to want to be here.

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | March 4, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Could we even afford to give Bly a new contract if we traded Springs? Also I know it is not related but Profootballtalk.com has reported the the skins are looking at Luke Petitgout to play guard have you heard or seen anything confirming this?

Posted by: Jim | March 4, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, I will go on record now saying that if they trade Springs and/or Betts, I will walk away from the team I have loved FOREVER and have stood by through thick an thin (mostly thin).

Not to mention that Denver goes through RBs like water.

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Watch this turn into Springs, Betts and all of our draft picks for the next three years for Bly.

Posted by: TB | March 4, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

This is all very intriguing, but I think keeping Springs, who knows this D, at his current cap figure is preferable to falling for another Jedi mind trick of Shanahan's.

Funny that Dre Bly is unhappy because he got out of Detroit... but didn't get paid what he thought he deserved, what he would get in this free agent market, or what he thought he would get from Snyder.

Let's review: All Springs wants is to play here, for his current contract. All Bly wants is a big fat paycheck. Red flags!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Mark,

As chris larry noted, Archuleta's role in the Umbrella would be as back-up to Sean Taylor. Arch is a traditional strong safety and that position best fits his skill set.

It also would be interesting with the personnel involved (insert Bly at CB and Rogers at FS if something happens trade-wise) if the Skins wanted to play Nickel in some situations. With the Umbrella system, the Redskins could drop Sean Taylor back into double deep safety coverage with Springs/Rogers and insert Arch for power, or leave Taylor shallow and insert Prioleau for deep speed.

Whereas the Skins don't really have the right talent to play Cover-2, they have excellent talent to play the Umbrella. Let's see if G. Williams is smart enough as a coach to use the talent properly.

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

It's a sign of weakness in the Pacific Northwest to use an umbrella. Not that it means anything, I'm just sayin'.

On that topic, one of the funniest things in the world to me is watching a man run from rain. What? You're going to melt?

But I digress...

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

ummmmmmm i think we all spoke a bit too soon...it's not OVAH! *Big Sigh*

if springs wants to pull lavar then by all means...please accomodate the fool

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh and one more thing....remember one Champ Bailey - the last CB we traded to Denver? Unless I'm mistaken he is considered the best in the league...

Redskins: Please stay away from Denver...how did that 3-Way with TJ Duckett work out for you????

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

the way denver has schooled us over the past few years...say goodbye to betts and all of 2007 draft picks plus a first rounder of 2008...

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Nate -

I think there are outside factors in both situations as well: Bly would like to be closer to his family in Virginia, and Springs would like to be closer to his family (father) in Texas. Would they both also like a new bigger paycheck at the same time? Of course. But "family ties" are important to many people. I couldn't help but notice that Shawn was in Texas for his Dad's surgery this week, and Texas is a lot shorter plane ride from Denver than D.C.

As for Shanahan and his Jedi mind tricks - this actually might be the year that he could be taken advantage of in trades. Simply put, the pressure is on for the Broncos to go deep into the playoffs and San Diego stands in the way. It looks like Shanahan is trying to spend every last nickel to load up on experienced talent for a run this year and next. He might as well trade away the future now (good draft picks) because if the Broncos don't succeed soon, Shanahan could be unemployed. I have heard the issue is serious enough that Shanahan may try to move up on draft day, to grab one of the big potential stars (Johnson).

Now that we have Campbell (Soupy), we have lots of POSSIBILITIES.

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

The WashPo has a fantastic article today on marriage and "marrying down". Now that I've read it, I'm re-thinking my philosophy of dating really hot bartenders.

At the same time, the 'Skins need to re-think this infatuation with Denver. Denver is a second-rate city whose idea of culture is the yogurt aisle of Safeway, has like two decent restaurants, and whose downtown you could traverse in 8 minutes on foot. DC is a foodie's paradise, a cultural Mecca, and has a vibrant nightlife. Stop sending draft picks and players to Denver!

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

lol@diddy...finally you see the light my brother...

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't see it happening.

Their talks with Bly occured before the FA period opened and the money went crazy.

Ever since that Clements deal, the 'Skins are suddenly all about keeping Springs.

His contract doesn't look so bad now and they also now have Smoot as insurance in case Springs does get hurt again.

Gibbs sounded like he was VERY HAPPY about what they now had at CB in the Smoot press conference today too.

Betts isn't going anywhere either. Gibbs has said over and over again he's not being traded.

They need him because, for all they know, Portis is physically breaking down.

They don't dare move Betts, especially after how he played last year after Portis went down.

They are not sure Portis is even going to be there for them...

Posted by: Leon | March 4, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree - the Seahawks should never use the Umbrella.

BTW, there is a scientific theory that if you run in the rain, you don't get as wet. There was also a study that showed you get wetter if you run. Personally, I think "time spent in the rain" might be the critical factor. (Scientists need to be working on more important things than this if they are getting NSF grants.)

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I knew this wouldn't go over well with Lisa. lol

I don't think any of our picks are involved and that's why it hasn't been done. Maybe FO learn a leason and said Denver must give up draft picks.

A question for Lisa. If Springs don't want to be here. Why keep him?

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Who has Denver schooled?

1 playoff win since the retirement of Elway. Yeah, they are really reaping the rewards.

Posted by: HUH? | March 4, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, except for Betts' fumbles.

But I blame those on Denver. Damn you Denver! Denver is the root cause of all evil. I'm never eating a Denver Omelette again, and I'm going to delete all my John Denver MP3s.

This is my new crusade. Kind of like when I gave up French Toast, French's Mustard, French Poodles, and French Fries to protest the rude jerks in Paris. Sadly, I couldn't quite give up French Kissing, though I did destroy the pathetic Kevin Kline/Meg Ryan movie. Meg Ryan is evil. Not as evil as Denver.

Too much coffee this morning. Sobriety clearly does not suit me.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

There is still a lot of FA money available. Signings are going slowly, probably due to the initial rush of monster deals. Not everyone is going to get Nate Clements money - a slow market is part of that adjustment.

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

jm220, in every interview I've heard (or read) with Springs he has said that he does want to be here....he justs wants to get paid as promised. And who could blame him? I believe he restructured before the 06 Season started (and the CBA was agreed to) in order to help the team and free up cap space so we could sign players. Then they went out and signed Archuleta, Carter, Lloyd and Randel El to huge contracts while letting core Redskins go. And we had a losing season. Can't blame him for not wanting to do it again.

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Just a little rivia: Dre Bly, Adam Timmerman, Adam Archuleta and London Fletcher were all on the 2001 St. Louis Rams team that went to the Super Bowl.

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

P Diddy, you are killing it today. Great work.

Again, I think this Springs-Cap'n Bly situation is all very intriguing, and maybe how it plays out (even if nothing comes of it) will tell us a lot about what the Skins are up to this offseason.

I LOVE that Bly got all hot and bothered about a dream contract from Snyder and then found himself out there on the prairie with Shanahan and no new contract forthcoming. Just something funny about a player NOT getting the PacMan-style shower of bucks he feels entitled to.

(Speaking of which, where is skinsfan@8kaboveMSL lately? did he get a life?)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Conversely, Shawn Springs, Derrick Dockery, Sean Taylor and Lemar Marshall have never been on a Super Bowl team.

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

3 weeks ago the majority or the people on this blog wanted nothing to do with dre bly, now that he is with the broncos we are all in love with him. keep springs, use the draft pick, and get back to a top 10 defense.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

It was just a question Lisa. If he gives money back to get out. It would say to me he wanted out. I hope he stays.

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"Why Dating Bartenders is Better Than Marriage (before 40)"

1) They know how to mix drinks properly.
2) They are often a good source of interesting/amusing trivia.
3) They always have new stories to talk about.
4) They are often experts regarding the local sports scene.
5) You don't need a divorce to get a new one.

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, I dated a bartender for awhile and I can truly say it was 3 horrendous years of my life I wish I could have back.

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I could give you the "Why Dating Bartenders is Bad" list, too...speaking entirely from experience...

My favorite entry: "Those aren't the sniffles, and the marks on their arms aren't from giving blood."

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Lisa: I totally, completely, 100% hear you.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

jm220, if there is any truth that Springs might be willing to give the Skins money in order to be released, maybe it's because they keep bombarding him with requests to redo his contract and he thinks he can get even more money with another team. That could be possible I guess.

Denver has a good defense but Detroit? I can't imagine a player wanting to leave DC for Detroit.

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

And just for the record:

"The Dallas Cowboys have agreed to terms on a seven-year, $49.6 million contract with free agent offensive lineman Leonard Davis, the second pick in the 2001 NFL draft who has played the last six seasons for the Arizona Cardinals.

Davis will receive $24 million over the first three years of the contract, and $18.75 million of Davis' contract is guaranteed." espn.com

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey, where did all the mean, sucky people go?

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Betts isn't getting traded. As much as Gibbs loves Portis, Saunders and Byner like Betts maybe even more.

Posted by: Andrew | March 4, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, I absolutely agree with your comments about the bartenders sniffles, etc. Right on Target!

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

You do have a point there Lisa.

Thanks for the update Mole. You know he is not worth that much money. But if they going to give it to him.

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,

I was going to post "Peace and harmony have returned" but I was afraid I would jinx the blog. Now the onus is on you.

BTW, we (I) need a Diddy Dawg update.

Posted by: Mark | March 4, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"This is the female side of me: If they trade Betts after talking him into signing before the season is over with - on top of talking several players into restructuring their contracts in order to get Betts contract done - that is just cruel. Told him they want him to stay here....have repeatedly stated how happy they are to have 2 quality backs. Plus, he came through for us big time this season in Portis absence."

That's business, the players are just as quick to change their word when millions are dangling!

Posted by: monkalicious | March 4, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Lisa I don't have the the sniffles nor am I a bartender. And only time I have marks on my arms is when we are having a blood drive at work or my yearly physical. lol

How about this P? Chris Larry have man boobs. Come on CL that one had to bait you in. lol

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

My thought on r defense.
Since we signed London and Smoot, we should move Springs to fs and run a 3-4 defense with hopefully using rockys speed on the outside{if hes ready}.Then if we draft a de like expected we could be a fierce D. Any thoughts?

Posted by: BRut | March 4, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

JM220 why you trying to bring out Hater Larry so bad?!

Manboobs...hmm just makes me kind of sad b/c its the truth...

"OM..."

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

BRut I don't think they are going to change the D. Nor more Spring from CB. I am really hoping double G (smake to the back of his damn head) will let the Mac play. If we do pick a DE at #6. Do any of you really think double G is going to play him? I can see his damn ego getting in the way again. About his damn system and not the player. Another smack to the back of his damn head!

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

jm220, that's good to know :-)

Diddy's right...the "mean" peeps seem to have disappeared....guess they are taking a Sunday afternoon nap and recharging.

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

The pooch is doing quite well. He's off the morphine patch and anti-inflammatories, so his appetite and personality have returned. He desperately wants out of his cage, but, of course, he has to stay there for a few more weeks.

Last week, I stayed home to help hold him up so he could go to the bathroom. Now he's doing everything on his own, and my being home is actually a distraction since all it does is excite him. So, oddly enough for me, I may spend the week actually (gasp!) at work, working :-)

Thanks everyone for the nice thoughts!

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

CL you know it was all in good fun. If I offended you brother sorry. I just like to be silly some times. Didn't mean anything by it or tried to be mean spirited.

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I used to be a bartender (during the year off when I retired the first time). Loved every minute of it, especially the socializing. I love being around people and I love to entertain and tell stories, so it was a natural fit for me. But some of my coworkers were a bit too into it for their own good.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Intriguing, but this sounds like the same mistake the FO has made for years. Yes, it's sexy, but losing Betts and or Springs and you are losing continuity, locker room character, and knowledge of the system (ala years of coaching). You are also losing depth, which was key last year. Portis is a very hard nosed runner for a small/quick back, and he is already wearing thin. Betts is a GREAT change of pase guy that can also give you 100 yard games and tire the defense quarters that you need to win NFC east should/when Portis goes down. Yes, Springs is injury prone, but hopefully he's got one or two left to make a push. Honestly, I could do Springs for Bly now that we got Smoot, but lets not get crazy. The pieces are coming together.

I have been too busy to post, but I have to say JLaC, you are the bombdiggity bra. You called it as it is, as it happened, and nobody beat you to the punch. I am HOOOKED. After moving away I have felt a void of Redskins community that is now filled.

Posted by: monklalicious | March 4, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

JM220 please no offense taken! U just haven't hit the sweet spot to my anger switch yet....

BTW I wish I was on the morphine patch!

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Cool CL. I was really starting to feel bad.

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

BRut -

Here's an article for you to read on 4-3 vs 3-4. Key issues regarding strategy and personnel needs are discussed.

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

To those of you interested in Smoot's number - he was just interviewed by Carol Maloney on Comcast Sports Net. She did a True or False segment with him. One of the questions: T or F - Fred Smoot will pay Sean Taylor to get the #21 back. Smoot laughed and said T but that he doubts Sean will go for it and that he plans to wear #27. He was then asked if Shawn Springs talked him into returning. He said that he talked to God about it and decided it was the way to go but added that Shawn did have a lot to do with it. He then added that he was going to be the next Darrell Green - meaning that he plans to play a long time here.

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update Lisa.

You got to love Smoot. He just needs to make sure when he is coming across the middle covering a WR he doesn't get taken out by the Reaper. You know the Reaper takes out everyone in the area including his own players. lol

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,mark,lisa
the haters are just waiting for one of you dorks to slip?

Posted by: troll patrol | March 4, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

If the haters want to bring it, let them bring it with class. Like our little convo with Todd yesterday, I'm willing to take on a reasoned argument. If they want to act like 13 year old kids, there are plenty of sites on the Internets for them to go. I'm too old for that crap and, like a lot of folks here, I like this little corner of the Web just fine and dandy.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

WTF!!!Wasn't Davis just here yesterday riding around in the whip with Soup?Somebody please school the Rook,"BEWARE OF THE FREE LUNCH"!!Even moreso when you're paying.

Posted by: dawglbs | March 4, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

here's a regular that appreciates all the mean and sucky people that were on here. never joined a fraternity, sorority and never was a fan. and this blog is/was becoming clickish. and as noted before by yours truely it really helps this blog when the regs step out and take a few nights off once in a while. i'm all for young blood "stupid or non-stupid". it was getting pretty monotonous around here. no offense to anyone. but it was fun the last couple of days.

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

dawglbs, i higly doubt the rook was paying. i'm sure he had skins amex with him. he was just playing the role of team liason.

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I would only trade for bly If we got a second round draft pic, but I also want springs injured a.. out of DC

Posted by: moss (305) | March 4, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

dawglbs,

According to a newspaper article I read today, Jason took Davis out for a $100 lunch. Jason said he wanted to treat Davis good if he was going to protect him.

Personally, I'm glad we did not pay that $$$ for Davis. After letting Dock go, that would have been a mistake.

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I am sick and tired of getting hosed by Denver in trades. Unless they are giving us Champ back, Javon Walker for LLoyd or all of their 2007 draft picks run away from this.

I am shocked to read people saying that Portis is breaking down. The guy is 25 years old and has only played 4 full seasons plus about half of last season. He was hurt last year in a meaningless preseason game and then rushed back too soon. People have short memories. He is the one that carried us to the playoffs in 2005.

I hope they do not entertain trading Betts. He compliments Portis well by spelling him for a few carries and catching passes out of the backfield extremely well.

Posted by: cdubb | March 4, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

diddy
whos to say its not you acting like the 13 yr old you accuse others of being?

Posted by: Troll Patrol | March 4, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

LH, you can have the reg season title. heck you can have the acc tourney title. don't care. just as long as the terps last longer in the tourney. here's hoping for a final four appearance for my terps. this team really deserves it. my only hope is that they don't run into an all senior team in the early rounds. you can't coach age!

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Betts' trade value just went up.

Green bolts Packers to join Texans
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

In a move that figures to have ramifications for several tailbacks who are available either in free agency or via trade, the Houston Texans on Sunday evening reached a contract agreement in principle with Ahman Green. The deal is for four years worth $23 million.

Green, 30, visited with Houston officials over the weekend and the club moved quickly to strike a deal that addresses one of its biggest offseason priorities. Of all the tailbacks who are available, Green, despite his age, was targeted by Houston coaches.

The nine-year veteran, who has played the past seven seasons for the Green Bay Packers, is coming off a 2006 season in which he re-established himself as a top runner. Green missed all but five games in 2005 because of a quadriceps injury, but started 14 contests in 2006 and rushed for 1,059 yards and five touchdowns on 266 carries.

Posted by: The Mole | March 4, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

You guys continue to blog your guts out!!!

Kudos to JlaC, keepin' up with your posts is like following a fast paced tennis match. . .

Nate, if you are wondering, that WAS me who e-mailed you, major props on the T's I just had to LOL. . .

Unfortunately I'm back to real life and can only afford to keep up sporadically. . .

have to say I am encouraged by the goings on so far, love having smoot back, dude should have never left. . .

maybe we'll work the broncos over for a change, wouldn't that be ironic. . .

Posted by: skinsfan@8KaboveMSL | March 4, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys. Just wanted to confirm that Extremeskins.com owns me and people who post comments on blogs are gay.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | March 4, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

re-established himself as a top runner.

I have to disagree with that. Green didn't do anything special last year.

Dealer damn you. Off the bus after school. lol

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

okay an exercise for everyone...i just tried this and it feels soooo good:

get cup/glass
fill it with ice half way
grab an unoppened can/bottle of sprite
pour it in the cup/glass and take a whiff of those sparkling thingies...HEAVEN i tell you!
maximize this by pouring-whiffing-pouring
stop before you spill over

diddy, how's your dog? also where did you go to school(college)?

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

lol@jm...DUDE!!!!!!!! as soon as i wrote that...i was like...i don't think i know what i just did....but it's all cool man. just ignore if you don't like it.

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

re: denver schooling the skins in trades. skins still look like asses even if the broncos aren't good at picking players with the skins picks...a bad deal is a bad deal.

i could go on but...i'll wait for your rebuttle...

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Then again when I actually think about it, maybe all of those other guys have lives...while we just sit here and stare at this lame blog all day. I am a the loser, I see that now.

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

dealer, I failed out of Merryland when I was 19. Had a few aborted attempts to go back and finish my degree at other West coast schools, but I like working and learning on my own more than being lectured to by profs.

I root for the Terps in basketball and USC in football. And, I root for UF cheerleaders all other times.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse

The Ahman Green thing is really interesting. I'm still hoping Favre can get to the playoffs and win a game before calling it quits. You can't help but love that guy. His jersey is still the only non-Skins jersey I would ever buy...not that wearing a jersey is anywhere near fashionable or appropriate for someone my age :-)

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 06:51 PM

LMAO, the best party is I can clearly picture The Reaper doing this... remember when he took out Shawn Springs like a year ago, I think he actually injured him!

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | March 4, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Jason, the peeps at Extremeskins are having kittens over this latest blog.

You gotta come strong in your next one to calm them down.

Help them Obi-LaCan-Won, you're their only hope.

Posted by: Andyman is Karl Swanson | March 4, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Took me a while to find it, but here are all the NCAA Men's BB Tournament locations:

Kinda neat to see New Orleans in there. If the Terp end up in NO, Chicago, or Spokane, I may have to go...

Posted by: P Diddy | March 4, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, I agree with you about Favre....love the guy and glad he is returning. Hope the Packers do well this season.

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I might sound like a Russian Nationalist here, but man what is up with all these bandwagon newbies. I am an ob (since July), and I don't know. There is a bad vibe here. Y'all still have time to prove me wrong, but something is amiss.

Posted by: Macaca Johnson | March 4, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I just checked in and all I was gonna say is 'WOW' and that's it. BUT, I see the 1st 3 posts beat me to it.

Anyway, WOW is all I have to say for now. I'll let it soak in a come back tonight or tommorow.

BTW, I see we blogging like we at work today, huh?

Posted by: 4th Floor via Home Floor | March 4, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

What about the Luke Petitgout rumor from Pro Football Talk? A veteran guy. What do you think?

Posted by: Buck | March 4, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Last was not me...

F anon and ID stealing posters

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes it was me, no it wasn't...I am so conflicted. I'm a dork, no I'm not...

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Not conflicted, def a dork

Posted by: (the real) chris larry | March 4, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

chris larry, you crack me up! what will skins do to replace dockery?

Posted by: cosmofla | March 4, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

diddy, good for you. i thought that you might be a member of the tribe (college of WM)...that's why i asked...

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

When are we getting mark maske back?

Posted by: ben | March 4, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

watching best of "nature" on pbs...purty good...love pbs and discovery on hd...

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Andyman, you are oh so right. The 15-16-17 year olds at ES are rolling with Jason's latest post

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

F you?...F me! Wait...that was backwards...F me, yes got it.

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Dealer....

Discovery has a new 11 part series coming on in a few weeks about different ecosystems called Planet Earth...looks amazing even without HD

Link: http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/planet-earth/planet-earth.html

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

CL no you didn't just pull an Austin Powers. LMAO

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

there's a new post, but Loseable Type is lost right now.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 4, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

If Dre want into Dannyland so badly, he needs to pull a Jerry McGuire - play out the final year of his contract (at a not-too-shabby $4.2 million) and get his Redskins 1 reservation for next year's free agency splurge. We have what we need with our top 3 CBs right now.

Posted by: Skinny | March 4, 2007 9:50 PM | Report abuse

apparently, "Steve's Guest Post" was not well received...

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 4, 2007 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow!
OK, looks like about 5 or so other Wows already on here. That's some serious info JLaC put out there. The plot thickens. And to think, only about four more months until training camp.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 4, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

damn! What happened to the guest post

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 10:01 PM | Report abuse

cload and daggar What was the post about?

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Steve has a detailed list of every draft pick allocated to the skins since 2000 and what we did with it.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 4, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

thanks a bunch chris larry!!!! dealeress was just telling me about it cuz she saw oprah do a show on it but didn't know when it was going to air.

just checked your link...it'll be premiering on march 25th!! can't wait.

but one of my favorite show now is man vs. wild...that dude is CRAZY!!! i try not to be envious of people...but when i see him doing those crazy things...i say "i wish i had that in me to be able to do things he does"...what a way to experience LIFE...

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Also, I will send you all of my Oprah DVD's if you want. I love her, I record all of her shows...I wish I was her.

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Some one please tell me that wasn't the real CL.

Oprah DVD's WTF!

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

some one is having fun with my ID...have at man, just try to be funny about it!

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Now your pisses me off JM220...U would believe I like Oprah?!?!?!

HAHAHA

Posted by: Chris Larry | March 4, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

dudes! i just saw a tease on "fox 5 news @ 10" about a video of pot smoking toddler...

though i think pot has health benefits...in this case they're just killing his brain cells...

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

You'd think -- since you have to register with washpost.com to get this far -- that they could tag the posts appropriately. Even an IP address -- which wouldn't tell anyone much of anything -- would be a pretty good clue for the readership.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 4, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey now, I am happy with the Baily for Portis deal, we did get screwed on that draft pic, but that one worked out for both DC and Den. Remember our running game under Spurier, our starter was Candidate :-(, & backups Rock (who was listed as a FB) and Betts were young & poorly trained IMHO, thanks to, 100 passes a game style of offence, they would not have been able to start. If Portis is healthy he is as good as LT, or any of the NFL's top runners. He has set team records.

Posted by: 35332 | March 4, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This sounds like the time TO went from San Francisco to Baltimore but he said he wanted to be in Philly. Except here Dre Bly has a serious reason to be a Redskin.

Washington and Denver have been offseason trading partners for years. SOMETHING is going to happen with those two. I think the Redskins will move down on the draft. I think they will switch with either pick 9 or 10, then get someone like Denver to trade picks. More picks more the Redskins, more players to build upon.

Posted by: DCdangerous | March 4, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

jm-- are you just starting for the night or just finishing? Just need to know if we need to hand you off to ocho...

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 4, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't like this Dre Bly thing one whit. Smells like trouble to me.

As a general rule, boo on signing OK dudes from lousy teams expecting to discover diamonds in the rough. The exception to this rule is signing OK dudes from our own lousy team, for the sake of continuity!

Boo on name stealing and anonymous posts up here! We had such a nice day up here, for the most part!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

dealer, I love you, buddy, but saying things were better up here during the attack of the trolls is just silly.

Come on, pal, if you really need the excitement, start another R/P/S war with old Nate. Just name the time, I'll be here ready to throw.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how this weekend compares to Skins game weekends from the past season, as far as volume of posts. Everybody has been bigtime BYGO, and of course Jason has been leading the charge. Great stuff.

I never guessed the blog addiction would be so intense in the offseason, but if anything it's grown since the Skins stopped playing games. Since now I can turn myself over completely to Hope for the 2007 season.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

One good thing. We can be absolutely certain that we've seen the last of Kenny "Can't Get It" Wright in burgundy and gold. I just read that he signed a 3 year deal with the Cleveland Browns.

Amazing. I didn't figure him to be signed by anyone this early in free agency. Oh well. I wish him luck, but not enough to become the Walt Harris of the 2007 season.

Posted by: JustMe | March 4, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

FYI: I read this on the Broncos site....no wonder Bly would rather come to DC....looks like he will have to compete for a starting position...

"Bly, a nine-year veteran, is expected to compete for time at left cornerback opposite Pro Bowler Champ Bailey. Last month, Head Coach Mike Shanahan said that Domonique Foxworth was the starter at the position previously held by Darrent Williams, who was killed in a drive-by shooting in the pre-dawn hours of Jan. 1."

Posted by: Lisa | March 4, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Kenny Wrong... though I think he is picking against luck by going to Cleveland.

Now if we could somehow get Ade Jimoh locked out of Redskins Park we'd be making some progress. Good grief, we had no help in the secondary last year.

Springs, Smoot, Double Move, the Reaper, and the Praline.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we need MV Dame to rise from the ashes and give us the top ten daily count list.

While I don't agree with dealer that the attack of the clones was "appreciated", there is a fine line between focused and clique-ish, and I'd like to see more people chime in -- but with a little more than "Unh-uh, you idiot".

And the title of this thread -- which should be 'Bly would like to make more money that God' -- is a surprise to someone? The lesson should be to never trade for someone in the last year of his contract -- you have to cough up the big bucks before you even see him play, or try to push him off until mid/late season when the price goes up (or he starts to think about putting his name in the hat just to see what numbers start getting dangled out there.
reminds me of "Just the tip, just for a minute, just to see how it feels..."

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 4, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, I wasn't as passionate about keeping Springs as you (frankly, nobody has been as passionate as you on this issue) but now that we've seen the top FA CBs secured by other teams, it's definitely time to mend fences between the front office and Springs and get him locked in for this year at least, at his current salary/cap number.

Having Springs return at that comparatively modest cap number is far preferable to bringing in some other dude, especially this mercenary Captain Bly who apparently shows up with a chip on his shoulder.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

channeling Jim Mora.... "Lisa, the Denver site? The Denver site? are you kidding? the Denver site?"

how do you do all that and monitor RI and NFLN, too?

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 4, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

cload, agree with you on welcoming new voices into the RI mix.

I think that among the regulars up here, I'm one of the braying donkeys who keep more of our friendly lurkers from joining the conversation. Trying to keep myself from posting all the time on every subject. Nobody needs that.

But I do like it when somebody new jumps in and contributes right away, like... well, having trouble thinking of someone on the Skins bench who did that.

Sometimes we get new voices that just don't stick around. Remember Redcoat, the Brit Dolphins fan? I make one lousy joke about Isotoner Marino and he disappears. Sheesh.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

And just one more thought on Dockery. His agent gauged the market better than:
(1) Vinne C.
(2) Joe G.
(3) Everyone else in the NFL
(4) Anyone with two brain cells to rub together
(5) several types of single-cell creatures that do not have two brain cells to rub together, but manage to noodle this through with just the one.

There is an undercurrent of "why didn't we lock him up sooner?" out there, and I think the events as they unfolded showed that there was no way to get the deal done at a price that would've eliminated the "are you kidding he's not worth more than Samuels" scream from the bleachers (us).

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 4, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Nate -- yep, there was a posting over the weekend from somebody in the UK that reminded me of redcoat. What can you do? This type of thing isn't for everyone; and life often intervenes.
I was kind of lucky in that it was a busy weekend and the only time I had to check in was late night, when the trolls had been sent to bed and the 'cost' I had to deal with was skimming through their posts. I'm sure I missed a good post or two, but the signal-to-noise ratio was kinda low.

Posted by: cload and daggar` | March 5, 2007 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Cload, I just skipped briefly over to the Denver site to see if I could find any news about how "happy Bly is to be in Denver" (I didn't).

Nate, Ade Jimoh is very good on special teams.

Posted by: Lisa | March 5, 2007 12:01 AM | Report abuse

funny stuff nate! funnier was cload's jim mora! cload, that's what i was thinking too. lisa is ummmazing.

and cload, more the merrier...i like 'em all (well...)...

nate, was going to e-mail you...have to look up your address in one of jason's post i guess...

i'm kinda worried about the economy...can't sleep...alright...gonna go try again...where's sfskin?...haven't seen her up hear in a long time...hope all's well and had a good vacation...nate, rome was good tonite...

Posted by: dealer | March 5, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

dealer, nateinthepdx at gmail

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 5, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

nateinthepdx at gmail dot com

easy peasy

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

is that like a double move where both DBs bite at the fake?

or did we successfully break up the pass?

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, I know Jimoh is good on special teams, but for some reason (probably because his jersey number is in the thirties), when we need to do a bucket brigade because our defensive backfield is being torched, he gets put in the game. And he's not a guy I like seeing on the field for defensive snaps.

Vote NO on Captain Bly!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 5, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Yes, that was a classic Rogers-esque double move -- we both bit on the play, allowing dealer to easily hit the long gainer. High fives all around.

Who was the last good player to wear #27 for the burgundy and gold? Brad Edwards?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 5, 2007 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, sorry to bring up jersey numbers again. Looks like Smoot isn't going to stir up any trouble or shenanigans with SeanTay if he's already picked out a new number.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 5, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

So, Nate, did we get you back on the branch bandwagon, or are you still under the influence of the 'let's get a DE that will be giving up 100lbs. to every RT in the league and see how that works' faction?

How's that for an objective question?

I would've said 'branch/okoye bandwagon, but that would've ruined the alliteration...

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 12:16 AM | Report abuse

let me restate, your honor: 'a fast DE that will be giving up 100lbs. to every RT in the league'...

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Hold up... didn't Brad Edwards also come to the Skins from Minnesota? And didn't he wear #27 for us? Am I coming correct up here? If so, cool parallels.

But I don't remember Brad Edwards or anyone of that era with the trash talking ability of Smooter.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 5, 2007 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Had I been at the top of my game, you'd see a 12:17 post of "Objection! The Prosecutor is clearly leading the witness!"

Thereby fulfilling the lifetime obligation of Law&Order references in the blog.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

cload, for whatever my opinion is worth, my preference has always been (in descending order):

1. trade down! too many glaring needs to just have one first day pick. I was talked out of this by whoever made a compelling case that it was unlikely we'd find a dance partner for such a trade.

2. pick a big run-stuffing DT with #6! we will probably have the pick of the DT litter, and that position has higher likelihood of instant impact than DE, which has a steeper learning curve. A big fella clogging the middle who draws regular double teams makes the whole defense better.

3. pick a stud DE with #6! Old School and others have made compelling cases for having bookends, since we are all hoping Andre Carter picks up where he left off and it is nice to think about big pressure from both sides on passing downs. This is not my favorite option, but I'll be okay with it.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 5, 2007 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Dealer on the newbs. We kind of all know everyone's quirks and the sides they take on different issues and who hugs and who smacks the back o' the heads...

its fun to get some new people in here that have different things to bring to the table... but I do have to say that I don't appreciate looking for diamonds in a pile of ish either. (quoted from the other day)

Gotta go to bed so i can BMGO tomorrow...
The Dorf Abides

Posted by: Dorf | March 5, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Well, you're a dumbass. Being from Denver, I can safely say you'e never been within 100 miles of this city. We have amazing resteraunts, a downtown that you could spend a few weeks in, and the onle non conservative population between the coasts. I mean, come on, they're the same city, it's just that our crooked gay political leaders happen to own churches instead of pageboys.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 5, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's about where I am. The trade thing is so unlikely that I've eliminated it from conscious thought. After the signings of the last couple of days, I don't think we have much in the way of glaring needs -- more talent on the d-line and more depth in general are significant needs, but right now we have enough players who can claim to belong on the field.
Injuries will be huge -- we got so lucky with the o-line last year, can't expect to have it again.
I like the idea of Branch because he should be able to start immediately -- his job is to knock the guy in front of him on the a$$ while avoiding being knocked down; he will also provide a little more protection for Fletcher/Marshall at MLB, keeping them fresher (and lasting longer). Also, since Fletch is only 5-10, it will help to have someone 6-5 that much closer to the QB. All he has to do is get a hand up, and that will be one clogged-up passing lane, even if he doesn't generate a huge rush.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of getting knocked on the a$$, it occurred to me recently that if you take Davis at 366 lbs. against our own Andre Carter at 260, 'little' Andre has a bit of a problem. You'd damn well better be fast, 'cause if he locks you up you will not be getting past him. You're not going to be able to take a block like that, shed it, and be in position to make the tackle... unless it's five yards downfield.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

I for one hope they dont trade Springs.
The last couple of trades Denver has definately got the best of the deals. The Champ deal should have been str8 up for CP or we should have got the pick instead of giving one. The Skins need to stay away from Denver!
I'm starting to think that the Bly deal to Denver is a setup (i'm a lil paranoid as u can tell). Denver probaly got him b/c we were interested, so they could inturn get Springs Betts and/or Draft picks. Just a hunch.

Posted by: priceisright | March 5, 2007 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Nate - #27s for the Skins - search this site - http://www.redskinsdb.com/player.asp
(what a geat site). I think the last was Walt Harris.

To the readers of the anonymous poster - he was referencing Colorado Springs with his last remark, NOT Denver. Denver is a good town - Lodo and more. Just ignore Colfax Ave.

The Peoples Republic of Boulder doesn't really offer a lot culturally. It has to be the "whitest" city in the US. Maybe Brattleboro, VT?

Skins should trade some of next years pics to address the D Line this year, IMO.

Lisa - I also hope Springs stays (mostly because then you will stay on the blog).

Posted by: Shotgun | March 5, 2007 1:28 AM | Report abuse

It was a joke, I actually like Denver for what it is. And, yes, I've spent considerable time there. It's a tiny town, but charming. The nightlife leaves a lot to be desired, and it seems to me like downtown's sidewalks roll up at night, but whatever. The scenery is gorgeous, and I hear the nearby skiing is tremendous (I'm not a cold weather person and don't do snow).

With the exception of Rioja and the joint in the Teatro Hotel the restaurants do suck. Sorry, that's the truth. It's like eating in Orlando. Lots of mid-priced places offering bland and predictable menus. Denver is by no means a great restaurant city, and it is nowhere NEAR the class of DC.

Keep in mind: I have no vested interest in either place. I don't live in DC, nor do I live in Denver. I live in Seattle, which is slightly larger, and equally lame.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 5, 2007 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh, speaking of food, had a bizarre little dish last night (after giving up on the sausage and peppers experiment): roasted quail served atop a lentil puree. Odd because it required three utensils: knife and fork for the quail, and a spoon for the lentils. I don't think the chef was thinking very hard in coming up with that one.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 5, 2007 1:34 AM | Report abuse

>>> "The Peoples Republic of Boulder doesn't really offer a lot culturally. It has to be the "whitest" city in the US"

I hear Boulder has a new restaurant from one of the French Laundry alums...

We have one in Seattle as well (from another French Laundry alum). Tom Sietsema did one of his Postcards about it. I go there quite a bit (10 minute walk from my house) and it's everything it's purported to be, and more.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 5, 2007 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Diddy, on the subject of good restaurants in Seattle, you a sushi guy? If so, you hit Shiro's?

Posted by: stevie in ct | March 5, 2007 2:00 AM | Report abuse

I love Sean Springs, but trading down to Denver in the 1st, giving them springs, getting Bly and a 2nd or a 3rd would be fine with me.

Posted by: Jumpy | March 5, 2007 2:37 AM | Report abuse

Shotgun, thanks for the jersey number lookup tip up above. Very helpful. How did I whiff on Mark Carrier wearing #27?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 5, 2007 2:44 AM | Report abuse

Dude all I have to say is you are the man.

Posted by: dirtyJ | March 5, 2007 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we should be yelling SMOOOOOTH!!! instead of SMOOOOOT!!!

Smoot was asked what fans can expect from him as a result of his troubles with the Vikings.

"They're getting a player who's been through a lot," Smoot said. "You can't get glass until it goes through a lot of changes, and then it comes out smooth. I'm that smooth part right now. ... I can promised you this: They're going to get a Fred Smoot who has matured in a lot of ways."

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | March 5, 2007 4:06 AM | Report abuse

Re - the deal with Bly in Denver:

I saw an interview last night (NFLN maybe) with Champ Bailey. He was talking about playing CB opposite Dre Bly, and how great it will be, with both of them getting more balls thrown at them than either are used to (since most teams work away from both of them). He didn't say anything at all about Bly having to compete for the spot; he seemed to expect that Bly will be starting.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | March 5, 2007 5:34 AM | Report abuse

What I would expect...

Skins Get:
Bly
Denvers 2007 1st rounder
Denvers 2007 3rd rounder (from Skins)
Denvers 2008 3rd rounder
Help with the cap hit

Denver Gets:
Springs
Betts
Redskins 2007 1st rounder

Posted by: Mike4169 | March 5, 2007 7:00 AM | Report abuse

That would be horrible, but not surprising. Unless of course they really have gained sanity. Then they won't trade Betts.

Posted by: slinger | March 5, 2007 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 11:48 PM

Nate, the guy who comes to mind for me is Vernon Fox. Not outstanding, but quite servicable. Ended the obvious D hole (at least from the opposing teams' perspectives) in our pass D (other than the more obvious hole at CB). Fox also had the first pick of the season (Carolina) and I think that got some good vibe going on D, esp. that game.

Diddy, the wifey and I honeymooned in northern Spain and I've been all about Riojas since then (as well as Tempranillos and Somatillos). Poor man's good reds. As the years go by, theses varietals are getting fuller and more complex. Apparently, in the late 80s, the entire Spanish grape crop was wiped out by phloxoria (sp?). They re-imported stuff they had sent to France and Chile to start over ... and in the interim, the French and Chileans were improving the grape. Once back from exile, these grapes have been kicking ass.

Posted by: dcsween | March 5, 2007 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Nate, Golston also started contributing right away from off the bench.

Posted by: dcsween | March 5, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I counted about 7 'WOWS'.

I don't think this blog ever slept this weekend,huh?

I need an update on the Bly thing now....

It would seem smart to me if Springs pulled a LaVar and got out of town by relinqushing any deffered payments owed to him. He would do great in the open market.

Also, I apologize to Gibbs 2.4 questioning his work ethic. He seems to be on the ball from what I observed over the weekend......

Posted by: 4th Floor via Home Floor | March 5, 2007 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Mike4169 if we are going to trade Springs (i hope we don't) then Dener need to add picks along with Bly. We don't need to send them anything other than Springs.

Posted by: jm220 | March 5, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

That's a terrible deal. But it's almost an even trade if you take Betts out and make it Springs for Bly + picks. See draft value chart

Posted by: Sorry, Mike4169 | March 5, 2007 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Analyzing Springs personal situation right now does not seem in the position to buy himself out. I think that his fathers health issues are playing into the fact that he is unwilling to negotiate, this year its the transplant and I think the guy lost a leg to something else in Springs first year hear. I think Springs is not going to want to take on a large debt this late in his career, where he cannot guarantee to make it all back, it would be illogical.

Posted by: 35332 | March 5, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I doubt there is anything to this trade talk, but the Portis - Champ trade clearly establishes that we would get Bly and a 2nd Round pick for Betts.
How would 'cap relief' work, when Denver has less cap space than we do? Even if Springs renegotiates his contract, you've still got the prorated bonus of $2.5M over three years to deal with.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Springs isn't willing to take a pay cut because at this point 7 mill/year is the going rate for a cb and why should he be undervalued.

He holds all the cards right now, if he's traded great. If he stays fine. If they cut him all the better.

If you were paid the industry standard and knew you could get as much if not more going somewhere else why would you buy out your contract?

Posted by: Skinz | March 5, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Springs' personal situation has no bearing on his willingness to renegotiate. If he wanted/needed more cash now, that could be arranged by renegotiating. His big problem is the cap hit right now -- $7.5M -- which is big salary + $2.5M allocated bonus payment. The $2.5M is fixed for the next three years, but if he wanted to you could get another bonus in exchange for vet minimum salary and extended time on the contract.
He believes the terms of the contract are fair, and given the events of the weekend I'm not sure I disagree. If I'm the skins, I keep Springs for this year; if he stays healthy then you keep going, if not you have this same discussion next spring, where the cap hit would be $5M before June 1 and $2.5M afterward. At that point, you can trade/release/renegotiate whatever without serious consequences.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

fellas,

no chance we get bly without getting robbed. we have had smart free agency season and finally getting some props from the nfl media....until we get bly for betts, springs, & draft picks. those guys in denver know how to mess with us (champ AND our pick for portis???). i would love bly, but it would be to good to be true if it were to be an even deal. shanahan scares me.

Posted by: aintnothangbutachickenwang | March 5, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Call me crazy but I just don't see that trade happening. Don't know where Jason got it from.

For one, Bly is not that amazing. Secondly, we finally have a secondary that will look good with Springs, Smoot, and Rogers - along with the Reaper!

And I definitely do not see them trading Betts. Gibbs has stated repeatedly that Betts is going nowhere. He loves two quality backs. And after Portis got hurt last season, all the more so.

Hear Travis Henry is visiting the Broncos today.

Posted by: Lisa | March 5, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, you're crazy -- but that's not important!

I agree; there's nothing to this at this point, and I don't see it becoming anything.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 5, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Champ Bailey despises the Redskins and loves Denver!

Posted by: Bronco Fan | March 5, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Trade Portis back to Denver for Dre Bly and a second round pick. Keep Betts because his contract is very friendly and don't even think about trading Springs. He's not unhappy with his present contract and I think he would make a very good strong safety next year.Do you really want Denver to walk away with Bailey, Springs and Betts? Are you crazy?

Posted by: firemetalrat | March 5, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Lisa if you are at least a 6, I will leave my wife and kids for you in a heartbeat! [A few more sensible comments and I might go down to a 4.] I do not have the P.Diddy bling-bling, but I have a lovely colonial and I am sure you would be amenable to a 60-inch HDTV that I cannot get in my current arrangement. You are the smartest and most balanced fan on this site! My vitae' - always turned the sniffles down draining had no appeal, definitely no tracks no need to ask that question, would have smacked bill clinton for wasting, but folks loved me for my tap. Signed, SE Jerome PS, call me.

Posted by: Lisa marry me! | March 5, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Is Dre Bly that good. Do I remember him from St.Louis. If so, he is no Bailey, McAlister, or Springs. Why trade for him to pay him more than Springs and be in the same boat in 2 or 3 years thinking he is overpaid. Springs will get $7M in the open market. Definitely more than the $5 they want him to cut too. And why when Arch Deluxe is overpaid right next to him. Is this not what the Skins players complain about. the team covets outsiders more than their own players. Wouldn't a real GM know that Dockery would be a prime catch at the end of the 05 season so renegotiate his contract then well before free agncy. Try to resign him then versus going into the season and ultimately free agency. Cannot argue with him going for $49m and $18 sure to be in the bank though. I think they could have kept him with Jansen and Thomas like money after 05.

Posted by: RobGreg | March 5, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

travis henry signed a contract with denver

Posted by: treetop47 | March 5, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

There is a lot of talk as to shawn being asked to take a pay cut. Could someone explain to me how that works?

I know there are restructure options which would move the same money around and this is typically what the skins do to make room. But everyone is saying pay cut. Can a player actually take a paycut? Is that legal per nflpa and all?

Posted by: riano | March 5, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Dre bly is an awesome player. He spent the last few years with the lions. He's very physical and plays the run well. But the point everyone is missing here.....and that's pass rush. Without getting to the qb,the redskins can have bailey,springs,rogers,bly and smoot on the field and they will find someone to burn.

I've noticed signing a smaller mlb and a nickel back doesn't help with pressure. Phil daniels was said to be injured last season,golston and grif are a good tandem,and I like andre carter.it took him time to adjust to the system and he oftenly found himself double teamed. Not bad for a guy who was a linebacker in sf.

If redskins decide to keep the 6th pick I would only hope they select jamaal anderson,alan branch or gaines adams.

If they make the deal with denver(and I'm sure it will happen,because once this kind of rumor hits nfl network and the washpost its pretty much done) that would be the 21st pick and possibly a 3rd rounder.the 1st rounder should be used on a Def end. I cannot stress pass rush enough!!!!!! Look at the colts. Other than sanders who is 5,7 who stands out to them?? Dwight freeney that's who stands out. Not those other players. Look at the bears...they get loads of turnovers because there constantly in the quaterbacks face.just something I feel this messageboard fails to discuss.

Posted by: robbyrock | March 7, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Also without denver who would be the redskins quarterback? And besides bailey would've left for fa. Clinton portis is one of the best,and have they not aquired him they would've gotten some pricy free agent...like edgerin james....total bust.

Posted by: robbyrock | March 7, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are NOT going to trade ladell betts anywhere. he just came off a 1,000 yard season, where he started only half the games. with often injured (but still very talented) clinton portis, we need a good 2nd RB.

Now, would I like to keep Shawn Springs in Washington? I've watched two injury plagued, mediocre seasons already. I've personally seen enough. Springs for Bly makes sense, really. Shanahan and Springs want to be together in Denver, and Bly has family in Virginia. Doesn't hurt to mention Dan Snyder isn't afraid to spend a little cash, either.

Posted by: Nathaniel | March 8, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Bly's agent said nothing but good things about Denver and said Bly HAS NOT said anything about wanting to leave Denver...which almost instantly ruins this article. Secondly, why would Denver give up a Pro Bowl CB and half their draft for the 6 and a injured, overpaid CB? It just doesn't make sense. Denver can resign Bly and have the baddest CB duo for a long time and then take a DL at 21. It just doesn't make sense to trade Bly if, like his agent stated, he hasn't had one negative thing with Denver.

Posted by: common sense | March 9, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse