Manning against the Blitz

As R.I. OGs know by now, I've never been on the Eli Manning (LBM, from here on out) bandwagon. I still think he's prone to putting it up for grabs and breaking down under pressure. Now playing behind that offensive line and having that dominant run game helps an awful lot, and it makes your play action a serious threat...

But I think he can be had. I looked up his stats against the blitz this season, and it ain't pretty. I think a lot of us are in agreement that the Skins are going to have to continue to be more aggressive with the pass rush, especially on third down. It was a huge part of Sunday's win. And if the Giants are without top wide receiver Plaxico Burress, that's all the more reason for the Skins to repeat it (I have a hunch we'll see more of Shawn Springs at free safety and LaRon Landry will get more snaps near the line).

Okay, here's what LBM has done against the blitz: 55-for-116, 679 yards, two TDs, four INTs, eight sacks. That equated to a horrid rating of 57.36.

Now you can't blitz him all the time and you have to chose your spots, but I think they have to try to attack his vulnerabilities.

What happens when you sit back and let Eli play against a four-man D Line? Well, he has gone 85-for-135, for 1,025 yards with six TDs and one interception this season. That's a passer rating of 97.25, which would put him right up at the top of the NFL.

Manning has been getting it done on third down, and in the fourth quarter - clutch situations - but I think that's when you need to get creative with the fire zones and get after him. He's fourth in the NFL in third-down passer rating (a stellar 144.5) and he's third overall with a 107 rating in the fourth quarter.

Overall, Manning is ninth in the league with 91.6 rating, with 18 TDs and seven INTs. The Skins have an abundance of cover corners and especially if Burress is hurt, they have ample match-up opportunities on the back end. Those guys can hold their own, especially with a little bit of a blitz to force Manning's hand.

If the Skins do bring pressure with anything close to the regularity they did in Seattle, I fully anticipate the Giants will run at the defensive ends with even more vigor. I don't have a good feeling about the state of the Skins' front seven against such a physical, power running team, but maybe they'll come up with their best performance of the season, even despite all the injuries. Letting them get upfield a bit more might help.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 26, 2008; 8:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering 21: The Fans' Tribute
Next: Remembering 21: A Chat and Coverage

Comments

Finally, the Giants again.
Initially, they won.
Reality will set in.
Skins win by 7.
Touchdown!

Posted by: bmo63 | November 26, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

FCAJLC !!

Posted by: skinsfanforracialfairness | November 26, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. Rush the passer. We would have lost without that 3rd down sack vs. Seattle that pushed the FG back to 53 yds.

Posted by: jcoral128 | November 26, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

3st?

(The Source Meter pwns this entire community)

Posted by: jmicrodoc | November 26, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Let's face it, the Gints are going to attack the ends in their running game. That's nothing new. The skins should counter with CB blizes and overloads to force 2nd and 3rd and longs. They may get gashed at times, but disrupting the running game is huge.

Posted by: TWISI | November 26, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

This day totally sucks!

RIP Reaper

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 26, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I am looking for Dirty Thirty to lay the wood and put someone out.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 26, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I think the team needs to accept the identity that they have now, embrace it and use it. Our O is gonna come together some point, I hope this season and not next year, but who knows. But we have a one of the deepest secondaries in the NFL and we need them to step up.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 26, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

If they step up, won't that make them offsides?

Posted by: daggar | November 26, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 26, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Depends how much they step up

Posted by: alex35332 | November 26, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

FDAGGARACAMJLC !!!

Posted by: skinsfanforracialfairness | November 26, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to assume that 'skinsfan' is poolman? Is that correct??

And that the letters represent some type of slight that has happened to you??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 26, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

LOL of you only knew that those letters mean. Great story.

Posted by: skinsfanforracialfairness | November 26, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Who is poolman ?

Posted by: skinsfanforracialfairness | November 26, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Great story JASON.

Posted by: skinsfanforracialfairness | November 26, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Well It has been a year since Taylor was taken from this world.

I made a video a year ago....I have never shared this over the web...so I figured I would share this today in his memory....

I have uploaded it to megavideo for all of you.....

I hope you guys enjoy....

Posted by: leevi98 | November 26, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

3st?

(The Source Meter pwns this entire community)

Posted by: jmicrodoc | November 26, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

How many accounts do you have anyway the Truth? Your Warcraft Lingo gives it away.

Posted by: Gweez | November 26, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

This week our boys will pay tribute to #21...and will win this game convincingly...I'm talking like 28-10...I wouldn't want to mess with the Skins this week.

Posted by: mrizzle | November 26, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

So does anyone know if Springs actually lined up at safety vs Seattle? You cant see because the camera angles dont show deep safeties... it sucks. I propose broadcasts go to camera angles that reflect video games, from behind the QB so You can see what the QB sees! Yes there would be an adjustment period for fans, but it would change the general publics understanding of this game!

Posted by: TonyButterFingersHomo1 | November 26, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

WE WANT THE MANNING FACE...that look of confused dejected fear that longs for Archie and Olivia to come down out of the box and cuddle him on the sideline.

With Carter hurting and Washington out, I am really really hoping for Jason Taylor to give us an $8 million game when it comes to pass rush...

Posted by: p1funk | November 26, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Good video leevi thanks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 26, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Burress isn't Manning's go-to guy on 3rd down, Steve Smith is. Domenik Hixon proved his value last week against the Cardinals, and Toomer is Toomer. And don't forget about the value of a possession tight end on 3rd down either. We have one of those, too.

Sorry, Giants win with or without Plax, I don't care how many guys the Skins' D brings.

Posted by: JackMara | November 26, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

That one's free. Next time I start charging for journalism lessons.

Posted by: rzeit | November 26, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Great post. Not to be a jerk here, but I honestly wonder why #56 didn't get the same slack when he deviated from the scheme. I understand Taylor had bigger upside and was a younger player, but it seems like Gregggg was playing favorites here. Thoughts anyone?

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 25, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

And while you're at it would you kindly point out that your beastly Ravens defence only has 5 more sacks than the Skins.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | November 26, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

sorry,i ment to cut and paste this...Jason, do you know what would be very helpful? How about telling us how other other QBs have fared against the blitz. To just show Manning's numbers is kind of lame because, I would think, every QB's numbers are not as good against the blitz. I could be wrong but we'll never know because you threw Manning's numbers up there with nothing to compare them with.
That one's free. Next time I start charging for journalism lessons.

Posted by: rzeit | November 26, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jumbo5383 | November 26, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the post Leevi, great video. Can't get enough of those memories.

Posted by: oldtimer4 | November 26, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

anybody seen the NFL commercial with LBM & the kids? he just seems so lame and nonchalant as a human being. even when he tried to be funny and asked one of the kids in the huddle "did you just burp in here". the kid didn't even know how to respond. hit this guy in the mouth this weekend please!

Posted by: gregskins | November 26, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Thanks leevi for the vid. I get a weird combination of pride, sorrow and happiness every time I see his highlights.

Posted by: elfreako | November 26, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

This Writer or collumnist, or whatever. Sounds Exactly Like Everyone else until the Giants Beats the Team he Covers. If Eli were to Throw For 350 yards and 4 TDs and one interception. And the giants were to win by 20, He would be saying "see, If you pressure him, you can force mistakes, as evidenced by the interception... why didnt the Skins continue to pressure him" LMAO... you will never win with some people, and this idiot is clearly one of them. The Giants are 10-1 for a reason, and i think Manning might have a weee bit to do with it.

Posted by: kimbrkitty | November 26, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and BTW... Ild like to see what the stats of Drew Breese, Peyton Manning, Ben Rothlisberger, Brett Favre, Jay Cutler, Phil rivers, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, JAson Campbell, Jake Delhomme, and Jeff Garcia are against the Blitz..... some Objective conparison would be Nice.

Posted by: kimbrkitty | November 26, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

how about along with those useless stats you post the Giants record in those games...the skins are about to play the varsity and it will not be pretty

Posted by: dac04 | November 26, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

skins fans--

just because your QB sucks, don't take your frustrations out on Eli...good luck with colt next year, your seasons over as of Sunday

Posted by: dac04 | November 26, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse