Posted at 4:50 PM ET, 12/ 4/2010

Embree moving closer to getting Colorado job

By Jason Reid

Redskins tight end coach Jon Embree is moving closer to becoming the next head coach at the University of Colorado, a person familiar with the situation said Saturday night.

Embree, in his first year with the Redskins, is expected to meet tonight with a high-ranking member of Colorado's athletic department in an attempt to complete an agreement. There are still some details that must be addressed before Embree, a onetime standout Buffalos tight end, will accept the position, which was offered to him this week.

If all goes as expected, Colorado plans to quickly introduce Embree at a news conference on its Boulder, Colo., campus, possibly as early as Sunday. The Redskins face the New York Giants on Sunday at New Meadowlands Stadium, but Coach Mike Shanahan recently informed university officials that he would permit Embree to leave before the end of the season to begin recruiting and assembling his coaching staff.

Embree, who has strong ties to his alma mater, was considered a successful recruiter while serving as an assistant at Colorado for 10 years and during a shorter stint at UCLA. Apparently, Embree's familiarity with recruiting talent-rich California was among the things that prompted the university's search committee to recommend him.

By Jason Reid  | December 4, 2010; 4:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Manning pleased with Giants' position
Next: Jon Embree agrees to become Colorado's head coach

Comments

Grudge factor game of the week:

Shaun Suisham kicking for Pittsburgh, with Jim Zorn on the Raven sideline. Would be ironic if it came down to a 23 yarder ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2010 5:06 PM

Irony would be if they ran the swinging gate play and scored with it.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 4, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

No articles all day, and then four within a half hour. The RI staff is clueless. How about pacing yourselves and spread them out over the day. The Manning one was based on a conference call EARLIER THIS WEEK. Couldn't they have ran that one this morning maybe? The Haslett one was almost completely stolen from an article in yesterday's print edition. Surely they could have cut-and-pasted that one up here earlier in the day. Idiots.

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 4, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Be sure to tune in tomorrow at 1pm to witness 10 years of bad decisions and undermining.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 4, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"I hear you on the 'youth' movement -- but it seems more accidental than planned. Many guys you mentioned were practice squad guys who could have been claimed by other teams. When I look at your list, I don't see many of those guys succeeding in key roles (starter or rotation) 3 year from now.

I am pleased we have a young blocking TE and a young blocking RB -- if they pan out, they could be useful pieces for the next 10 years.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse"

Hey, I agree with you on this point as well. I don't see many starters out of the young guys we currently have (Trent Williams, some combination of Cooley/Davis for years to come being the exception), but I do think Shanahan is building important depth with the other guys. This year will eventually end up being the year that we built the infrastructure of our offense with guys you don't really notice too much, but are definitely important.

Anthony Armstrong, Ryan Torain, Keiland Williams, and Will Montgomery have all shown quality play in my opinion, but have been placed in a position that is beyond their capability due to a lack of other talent around them. All of them, if a step back is taken, would serve excellent roles for us in the future.

Same with Santana Moss. He's no longer a stretch the field deep threat, but he's turned into a great slot WR. I think he's found a home there for the Shanahan's. Unfortunately, with him playing so much in that slot, it's left a void on the outside that hasn't been filled by anybody not named Armstrong.

I'm not ready to write-off Liechtensteiger either. This is his first real season in the NFL, and definitely as a starter. Again, he's young. He's not Russ Grimm, but give him a little time to develop a chemistry with Trent and the they could anchor that left side for years. Yea he makes mistakes now; doesn't mean he will continue to make them 2 years from now with more experience in the NFL and in this scheme.

Banks and Austin have shown promise, either in the NFL or in preseason. We already know Banks can handle playing with the big boys; he's fearless and his athleticism is elite. Again, he won't be an everydown starter at WR, but he could be a valuable weapon in certain situations. Austin we know less about, but given Shanahan's success this year with bringing up/coaching up practice squad guys, I have my fingers crossed for some good things. It was clear he had long-term plans with these guys (Torain, Williams, Banks, Austin) and I think Austin will show yet again that Shanahan knew what he was doing when he let Austin marinate on the PS.

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 4, 2010 5:25 PM

Will you be here posting on RI with a play-by-play narration that relates each play some specific decision or undermination? Hope so because I don't think I can work this out by myself.

"Moore missed that tackle. He is filling in for Landry. Landry's not here because he hurt his ankle when he didn't warm up enough after half time. That is because Vinny Cerrato didn't include a warm-up incentive in his contract like the Patriots do for their stars." That type of thing would really help me to see what you're getting at.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 4, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm not ready to write-off Liechtensteiger either.

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2010 5:29 PM

Two firsts on Redskins Insider:

1. A generous and balanced assessment of Lichtensteiger
2. Someone tried to write his name correctly and without a derogatory insult.

Agree with both points, psps.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 4, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | December 4, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Let me help you out then.

When we get the ball on offense, take a look at our G-C-G combo that we roll out on the field. For that matter, throw in the RT position.

That, sir, is the product of bad decision making and undermining.

Then you can check out our WR group, which should have Desean Jackson and Eddie Royal in it, but instead has an IFL vet, an aging war horse and a bunch of has been/never weres.

Again. Undermining. Bad Decisions.

Then on Defense you can take a look at our part time DE who has banked $41 million in the last 18 months. You can watch him as he decides which plays he wants to try and which plays he wants to do catch a nap on the ground as Manning picks apart the secondary.

Bad Decisions. Undermining.

I can keep going, just let me know.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 4, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I know I am probably the most optimistic of all the posters on this blog.

I'm also a realist, and do know that our talent pool is not the greatest.

However at this point in the season it's all or nothing. This lockerroom knows the playoffs start tomorrow.

What I want to see is is this.

Montgomery at center and heyer at RG. Hopefully Torain will be back and James Davis will have had a good week at practice, getting a grasp on the blocking scheme.

What I love is the heart of Banks, Armstrong, Alexander, Doughty and Fletch.

These young guys need to come out tomorrow and ball out. Barnes, Davis and Davis etc.

I think we bring a physical game to the Giants tomorrow.

HTTR.

It's time to run the table and make the playoffs.

The one thing that I think is killing this defense is Andre Carter not being used properly. He had a better season than Orakpo last year and the coaches have neutralized him.

Throw alot of 4 man fronts at the Giants on defense, bench Rabach and put our biggest,strongest offensive linemen in there to maul.

Upset of the week.

Beat the Giants and we run the table.

And Banks takes one to the house(w/o a block in the back tomorrow).

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 4, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Eric Bieniemy is leaving the Minnesota Vikings to become the offensive coordinator at the University of Colorado.

The running backs coach for the Vikings, who also holds the title of assistant head coach, is rejoining the college program he starred in, and he will serve under new head coach Jon Embree. Bieniemy will finish out the season with the Vikings, according to Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Bieniemy had interviewed for the head-coaching position.

The Vikings gave Bieniemy the additional title a year ago when Lane Kiffin tried to lure him to Southern Cal. Bieniemy became the Buffaloes’ all-time leading rusher from 1987-90, and was a main cog on the national championship team. He began his coaching career at Colorado from 2001 to 2002 before going to UCLA and then joining Brad Childress’ first staff in Minnesota.

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 4, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Will the Redskins have a top 10 draft pick? Based on last year's draft, they would have to finish with six wins, or less to draft in the top 10. Seven wins would have gotten them a pick between 10 and 12. Personally, I don't see them winning two more games against this schedule, but Ih8Dallas sees them running the table -- 10 and 6 -- and that would have left them last year drafting #24.

Wins......Draft position

1…………1
2…………2
3…………3
4…………4-5
5…………6-8
6…………9
7…………10-12
8…………13-17
9…………18-23

Posted by: beep-beep | December 4, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Upset of the week.

Beat the Giants and we run the table.

And Banks takes one to the house(w/o a block in the back tomorrow).

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 4, 2010 6:01 PM

I have Banks taking TWO to the house with one getting called back.

The Gina's greatest strengths (OL & DL) represent our biggest weaknesses. Tomorrow could get ugly, but since I never pick against the Skins..

Skins 13
Ginas 10

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 4, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I missed all the FA talk earlier. Here's my .02

On the Oline I'd go after

Kalil from Carolina
Mruczkowski from San Diego
Harris from Denver
Baas from San Fran

On the Dline I'd go after

Franklin from San Fran
Spears from Dallas (depending on injury)
Jenkins from Green Bay
Fanene from Bengals (depending on injury)

Posted by: TWISI | December 4, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Undrafted Wonders

A look at the six undrafted running backs who currently lead their respective teams
in rushing, as well as the results of their highly drafted teammates.

TEAM Undrafted RB/2010 Rush Yds, TD Drafted RB (Draft #)/2010 Rush Yds, TD

HOU Arian Foster, 1,230 yds, 13 TD Steve Slaton (89), 93 yds, 0 TD

NE BenJarvus Green-Ellis, 627 yds, 9 TD Laurence Maroney (21), 74 yds, 0 TD*

BUF Fred Jackson, 621 yds, 5 TD C.J. Spiller (9), 164 yds, 0 TD

SD Mike Tolbert, 609 yds, 9 TD Ryan Mathews (12), 382 yds, 2 TD

NO Chris Ivory, 519 yds, 3 TD Reggie Bush (2), 19 yds , 0 TD

TB LeGarrette Blount, 496 yds, 4 TD Cadillac Williams (5), 357 yds, 2 TD

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 4, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Haslett: Defense capable of better results

I'm really beginning to wonder about Jim Haslett.

I watched Brian Baldinger dissect the redskin defensive woes on NFC Playbook on the NFL Network, and learned the the 32nd ranking is really due to players not playing sound, fundamental defense:

--cornerbacks play too far off receivers

--the free safety is often out of position

--defenders don't jam receivers within the five yard zone were contact is allowed

--defensive lineman take sides and can be easily blocked out of position (linemen are to hold the guy blocking them square, and shed the block once the running back takes a side)

In other words, perhaps Mr. Haslett has become so caught up in teaching his schemes that he forgot that defensive football essentially is a game of blocking and tackling and being in position to do it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Trivia: No Googling. No racism. No homo.

Five black QBs have started for the Dallas Cowboys. What team has had more black starting QBs, and who are they?

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 4, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 4, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

The first team to pop in my head was the Steelers, but I only get 4 black Qbs

Stewart
Batch
Leftwhich
Dixon

Posted by: TWISI | December 4, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

smack1-

My guess would be the Stillers..

Kordell
Batch
Dixon
Leftwich
Bradshaw
???

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 4, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Lets think for a sec, skins had McNabb, Campbell, Banks, Williams, anyone else?

Posted by: alex35332 | December 4, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Nopers

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 4, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

twisi

Sorry I missed all the FA talk earlier. Here's my .02...On the Oline I'd go after

I don't want any FA offensive or defensive lineman.

We need solid talent infusions with our linemen.

I want young drafted guys to play the lines on both sides of the ball.

I want a McNabb replacement to groom for two seasons.

My free agents are at FS, WR, WR, OLB, and MLB (I think we need more depth and size and speed at the linebacking spot to play the 3-4 properly).

The team needs to figure out a plan for converting Kevin Barnes to FS and Jeremy Jarmon to some useful purpose.

I'd release Andre Carter.

I'd also release Reed Doughty, Kareem Moore, Chris Horton, and Casey Rabach.

I'd fire whomever is the redskin secondary coach.

I trade AH, secure another mid round pick (a 4th), and draft (primarily) a quarterback, a nose tackle, center/guard, right tackle, defensive tackle, and running back.

I also would take a long look for a Brandon Banks type player with more size (someone like Jacoby Ford/Percy Harvin would be nice).

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had the skill to make this up:

from from the nytimes,

In "The Beaver", Mel Gibson, 54, plays Walter Black, a man described in the trailer as "a hopelessly depressed individual" who finds solace and new hope by talking through a beaver hand-puppet.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Skins have had 4 black QBs - Williams, Banks, Campbell, and McNabb 5th comes next year - Cam Newton

Posted by: coparker5 | December 4, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd release Andre Carter.

I'd also release Reed Doughty, Kareem Moore, Chris Horton, and Casey Rabach.

I'd fire whomever is the redskin secondary coach.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:20 PM |

I wouldn't cut ALL those safeties. Some should be backups some should be gone. We'd have to replace some and I think that's a waste. I don't know that we need a RT. Brown seems to be improving. The rest I pretty much agree with. If we get a good right tackle Hayney could be a beast at end in tandem. Still might trade him though if the offer is good enough. I'd need a third.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 4, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

My guess is the Tampa Bay Bucs

Josh Freeman
Josh Johnson
Byron Leftwich
Shaun King
Doug Williams

Unfortunately, I don't know the 6th (if that's the team).

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Hells no copark, Newton's a Cowboy. He's already on the license plates down there.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 4, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

dont forget jefferson street joe gilliam for the steelers

Posted by: coparker5 | December 4, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't want any FA offensive or defensive lineman.

We need solid talent infusions with our linemen

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:20 PM

I agree with you there. Not sure how getting FA would preclude the team from adding more players on both line through the draft. That's the direction I'd like the team to go early in the draft. I'd throw in OLB as well, and if there's an outstanding QB I'd go that way as well. IMO, stabilizing the C and RT positions will be the next "to do" for the Skins. Particularly for the C position, I can't see a rookie leading the way early next year.

Posted by: TWISI | December 4, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

psps not sure Josh Johnson was ever officially named a starting qb

and even if, you're short

so no

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 4, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and Gentlemen of all complexions, merely look up the street.

I give you your Baltimore Ravens.

McNair, Troy Smith, Anthony Wright, Jeff Blake, Randall Cuningham, Tony Banks

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 4, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Colorado recruiting in California? A better strategy would be to lock in the best talent in Colorado and surrounding jurisdictions. Colorado will be standing behind USC, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, Oregon, Boise State, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, etc. to get the quality players out of California.

Posted by: randysbailin | December 4, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Alright then. No googling, no Hitler, no homo.

Who are the six teams to have Never, ever started a black QB?

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 4, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Fist teams to pop in my head

Pats
Bills
Green Bay
Jacksonville
Giants
Cardinals

Posted by: TWISI | December 4, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Upset of the week.

Beat the Giants and we run the table.

And Banks takes one to the house(w/o a block in the back tomorrow).

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 4, 2010 6:01 PM

I have Banks taking TWO to the house with one getting called back.

Skins 13
Ginas 10

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 4, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Good call sunshine.

I just want to see some heart and fire against the Giants. I want us to break their will.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 4, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

S1-

Definitely the Pats, Packers, SD "Super" Chargers, Colts, Ginas

Possibly the Broncos or Bills

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 4, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Cam Newton

The more I see him, the more I like him.

And I think NFL people will go through the same kind of fawning process regarding Newton.

He has some very serious tools.

He can make the throws, improvise, take the ball and run, and comes across as a charismatic leader--despite the NCAA baggage/investigation.

Once his knowledge of NFL coverages catches up to them, he'll be a dominate player.

Whomever drafts him should have a solid vet quarterback in the house to assist with his being groomed.

Name just such a team?: The Washington Redskins

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Jacksonville? I always suspected that about david garrard.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 4, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

TWISI-

Jags- Lefty & Gerard
Cards- Shaun King

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 4, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

add the Texans?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 4, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm an idiot

Posted by: TWISI | December 4, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

pats, colts, chargers, packers, bills, giants

Never started a black QB.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 4, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't cut ALL those safeties:

Reed Doughty, Kareem Moore, Chris Horton

I think our corners--as a group--are way better than our safeties (remove Landry, and the guys listed are what's left).

I'm converting Kevin Barnes to safety as his being a corner means he'll have better all around coverage skills/speed than the trio listed.

I'll add a FA safety.

I might even draft a FS.

But those guys are either hurt a lot, out of position, don't tackle well, or can't make athletic plays deep against top flight NFL receivers.

The team should take solid steps to completely upgrade the safety position.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Moe-

Moore is a huge disappointment. Doughty and Horton are solid special teamers that should never be counted on to start. I'd rate RD a few notches ahead of Horton.

Moore should be a backup and Horton should be cut. There is no need for 3 SS.

The FS position is in need of an upgrade and should be addressed in FA/draft.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 4, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Upset of the week

I'd druther take a pick on the big games:

Jets v. Pats?

Pats 28

Jets 17

and....

Ravens v. Steelers?

Ravens 21

Steelers 14

At some future point, the ravens v. patriots awaits.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll add a FA safety.

I might even draft a FS.

The team should take solid steps to completely upgrade the safety position.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:59 PM

Boy drafting a FS. That's taking up valuable draft space. Where would you draft him? If you wait til late you can't expect much more than Horton or Moore so what's the point. You trade one late round slappy for another...except for one that hasn't been in the system a year already. Sounds pointless to me. So when then? 2? What about Oline, Dline, LB, QB, RB, WR?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 4, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Diesel44

Horton has been IR'd twice in three years.

Doughty can't make athletic plays.

Moore just doesn't satisfy.

In the NFL, if you're hurt a lot, can't make plays, and don't satisfy, you get cut.

It's just as simple as that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975

The NFL people will tell you the league/colleges are awash with players in two positions:

wide receivers

safeties

Converting Kevin Barnes to FA, (Heck, can Philip Buchanon play FS?) adding a FA safety, and securing a special teamer type to be third safety would shed of guys (Moore, Doughty, Horton) who just don't satisfy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 8:21 PM |

If the league/college system is awash with them how come we only have 1 good one? Why are other teams also struggling at this position? Just playing devils advocate here but I don't think it's as easy as you sya to just plug and chug at free safety.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 4, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Macho Harris can be a solid player at FS.

Posted by: TWISI | December 4, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:50 PM

There's an even more important criterion, though, Moe. Being in the right spot in the draft order to pick him.

I agree with your assessment of him, though. That dude just makes it look easy, and I'd be willing to take a flyer on him.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 4, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

"Let's go Noles! Virginia Tech is the NCAA version of the Cowboys: Pure, concentrated evil."

The drugs you are on, I want..Virginia Tech is loaded with locals, as FSU is loaded with double-season Floridians..

Posted by: frak | December 4, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Corrupted locals you mean, frak.

F Turkey College.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 4, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

it maybe chose to be abuse, but it ain na loca falt..Like VT, thn ain na diffrnt from thu res..

Need d-fens stop Giants run game, get turnoversssss, knight takes queens, checkmate..

Posted by: frak | December 4, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

On Andre Carter, he really had several strengths. As a hand down pas rusher, he was above average, mostly due to his speed. As a run stopping DE, he was average.

But ... he never gave up on a play and often found a way to make a play even when he hadn't done much with his initial move. He tackled well, found ways to find the QB after the play had broken down a bit.

His other strength was his ability to play pretty much every snap. Which meant you have a quality DL guy in for every play. Today DL guys rotate -- which means you have 2nd string talent out there a lot. Carter meant you didn't have to put a rotation guy in -- and that helps a bunch.

The 3-4 defense takes advantage of none of Carter's strengths. He doesn't have enough speed and agility for an LB -- plus his endurance isn't helpful since he isn't on the field every play. He is a guy we should have traded for something useful. It would have been better for us and better for him.

I know he had a no trade clause, but that just meant he could have been selective about the location. I doubt he would have turned down a trade to SF, NE or SD, for example.

Its an example of Shanahan compromising a valuable resource. Carter is worth less now in a trade because of what has happened in 2010.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 4, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

&_&, 7-7, 4-3, f upd thiu wire dawg..

Posted by: frak | December 4, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Cam Newton

The more I see him, the more I like him.

He has some very serious tools.

Name just such a team?: The Washington Redskins

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Newton is a stud for sure, but I have a question. He looks similar to Tim Tebow to me. If so many were so against drafting Tebow, why are we now advocating Newton? Im not looking to get into a debate, its just a solid question. Whats the difference between TT and CN?

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | December 4, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Newton is an intriguing prospect with size (6'6 240) but I wouldn't go anywhere near him in the Top 10. He's no where near ready to play in the NFL, but he does possess tremendous upside with a big arm and mobility.

He's on his third team in 3 years and I'm sure some team will talk themselves into believing Newton is the next multi-threat quarterback and will grab him in the top 10.

My guess is he will be a Cardinal.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 4, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Name just such a team?: The Washington Redskins

Posted by: MistaMoe |

Nah. The kid has been in too much trouble with plagiarism, stolen computers, and pay-for-play. I won't sell my soul for a shot at the NFC championship.

Posted by: swowra | December 4, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | December 4, 2010 10:10 PM

Hi sweetie.

Trust when I say that I've hip hip hoorayed for Tim Tebow on this blog on numerous accounts.

Nobody here is going to really answer your question because they can't set aside their secular bias. People didn't want to draft Tebow just because he is a christian. It's really that simple.

I can offer you my opinion though. Newton is much taller and might be able to see the field better. He is faster and has a better arm as well. Aside from that you are right in that they are the same player. Newton backed up Tebow, his freshman year at Florida.

Newton also has one more thing going for him. He is a another black athlete that "the man" tried to bring down just because he's black and the best player in college football. Haven't you noticed all the new Philadelphia Eagle fans? Nothing unites the black fan more than seeing a talented black athlete who "the man" tried to destroy.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | December 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

The post censored my last sentence, so I'll try an finish it another way:

Nothing unites the black fan more than seeing a talented black athlete whom, "the man" tried to destroy, come back and succeed.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | December 4, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Sammm.....geet heeeem....

Posted by: frak | December 4, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post censors too much. Why can't we use the left carrot sign?

Posted by: MimiAnsari | December 4, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Whats the difference between TT and CN?

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | December 4, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Newton: Better arm, better mechanics, more athletic, higher upside.

Tebow: More experience, more of a known commodity as far as leadership, maturity, etc, more of a role model.

Posted by: TWISI | December 4, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

First I would like to say that Haslett sucks and I said that when he was hired and also like I said before this was not the greatest free agent class. With the limited picks we had and the weak free agent class a 5-6 record should have been expected however in my opinion we are in better hands with SHANAHAN AND ALLEN than we ever were with CERRATO AND ZORN and even with CERRATO AND GIBBS. Only time will tell but thats just my opinion.

Posted by: wattsicon | December 4, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

First I would like to say that Haslett sucks and I said that when he was hired

Posted by: wattsicon | December 4, 2010 10:57 PM

So would you advocate a change in the offseason to say Wade Phillips?

Posted by: TWISI | December 4, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

First, it's the left caret, not carrot. :-)

Second, you can't type it because Moveable Type thinks you're trying to type an html tag.

Instead, type it as & l t ; but without the spaces. (That second character is a lower-case L.) Like this:

Posted by: freakzilla | December 4, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh cool. haha.

Thanks freakzilla

Posted by: MimiAnsari | December 4, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the responses. My thoughts were similar (to the rational posts, anyway).

I felt the same way about Tebow. Great qualities, just not NFL ready to be drafted in the first round. McDaniels picking TT so high made me scratch my head. I would be fine with the Skins picking Newton, just not in the first round. Im on board with best player at a position of need.

As far as calling for Haslet or Shanahan to get the ax is ludicrous. We need stability and continuity. Firing coaches is a trend that we've had to endure for too long and to little avail. Lets see what happens when we have 2 years of competency in a row.

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | December 4, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey, save the HTML lessons for the off-season, when we have to argue about this guy that someone saw in the DivIII championship last year who might be an intriguing prospect.

Posted by: daggar | December 5, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

The Post claims to be a outlet fer the free, but they is not...They is a mouthpiece puppet fer the Elites , and you will SUFFUH for yer allegiance to the HELL-BENT-FER-NUTHIN elites, when the inevitable sh*t comes down...POSTPONE THE INEVITABLE, RICH FOOLS, WE'RE NOT BUYING YOUR THIRD WORLD WAR BULLSH*T>>>...ever...

Posted by: frak | December 5, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster

Oh absolutely. The RI Staff should find more ways to better serve such classy and semi-literate ingrates who take time out of their own busy schedule to weigh in.

Posted by: TheCork | December 5, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak

Frak, how many times must we tell you? Always give yourself plenty of time for your mail order refill meds to arrive before you run out of your own stash of anti-psychotics.

Posted by: TheCork | December 5, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

It's time to run the table and make the playoffs.

POSTED BY: IH8dallas

IH8, how many times must we tell you? Always give yourself plenty of time for your mail order refill meds to arrive before you run out of your own stash of anti-psychotics.

Posted by: TheCork | December 5, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

TheCork always ready to comment but yet has so very little to add. Feel free to mix in a little football convo.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 5, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

TheCork is a brainwashed left wing monkey. He totes the party line and Obama's nut sack wherever he goes. That is all.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 5, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse