En Route To Oklahoma (UPDATED - And JC Is Rolling With Them)

So the Skins hearty contingent, including the owner and vp of football ops and head coach, has indeed left Clemson, where DE Phillip Merling worked out, and should be working out Malcolm Kelly shortly, the WR prospect.

Also, starting quarterback Jason Campbell is with the Skins and flying to Oklahoma, so you would have to imagine he'll be throwing some passes Kelly's way.

As for Merling, spoke to some people down there at the workout. The kid is working through sports hernia surgery - no small deal - but went hard for 45 minutes, I am told. He was out there by himself and showed very well. About half the league had a representative there, but the Skins large contingent certainly drew ample attention.

Merling is tough as nails, and took a needle to the groin every Saturday just to be ablel to get on the field with Clemson, gutting through the hernia (the injury caused him to miss the physical part of the combine, and thus he held his workout today, on the last possible day). Scouts I talk to say he has strong character and is very stout at the point of attack ("He's not going to get outflanked," one said). He does not project to be a big sack guy, but could be a beast against the run (and considering what the Skins are looking for on the strong side, he sounds like a younger Phillip Daniels, with better upside). Could be good for a handful of sacks as well.

"The kid's a pretty safe pick," one scout said.

Also, another name to watch on the second day of the draft is San Diego QB Josh Johnson, sources said. Johnson had a very good visit to Redskins Park and has been in touch with coach Jim Zorn, team sources said. He may not last until the 4th round, and that's a bit higher than where the Skins would probably like to take a QB given he would be a project and behind Campbell and Todd Collins for a while, but it's certainly worth watching with Zorn so closely tied to the QB position.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 24, 2008; 3:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Phillip Merling and Malcolm Kelly
Next: DraftCast -- Live on washingtonpost.com Saturday

Comments

1st?

Posted by: had to do it | April 24, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The owner? I didn't know he had a f-ball background. Someone should tell him to stay away and handle the business side of things.

Posted by: Matt | April 24, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

...M-E-R-L-I-N-G...

Posted by: bobeaston | April 24, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Johnson is a stud. Would be a nice pick in the later rounds.

Posted by: Jim Harbaugh | April 24, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

("He's not going to get outflanked," one said).

Nobody outflanks Merling.

- .250

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

and give him the names of various places he should avoid.

Dallas Morning News

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 3:43 PM

Dallas County Detention Center
Dallas County Jail
Dallas, Texas Cloud-Seeding Association

Er, what was the first thing you did when your parents gave you the names of places to avoid?

M-I-N-G-L-E-R

Posted by: SMACK | April 24, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

He might get outflanked by Stephon "Womanly Hips" Heyer.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Now THAT was a great post, Jasno. I may take issue with your topics and tone, but never say I don't give credit where credit is due. I actually learned new info from this entry. Good job.

Posted by: jcabana | April 24, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I think they are thinking Merling in the 1st round, Kelly in the 2nd.

Posted by: rb | April 24, 2008 1:47 PM

I agree, I think if kelly end up being good, hes still going to have the TO syndrome where he likes to blame everyone when things go wrong. But hes happy if things go his way.
Sweet Ill see you up there sicwidit

Posted by: SAK | April 24, 2008 1:50 PM

Makes a lot of sense they'd be thinking Kelly in the 2nd round. Very likely he's there. Just hope that if Nelson is there, too, they take Nelson. Something tells me he's going higher, though.

And after today's workout doubt that Merling will be there at 21. But someone is bound to fall. Maybe Williams. I say take Mayo if he's there and nobody else is.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 24, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

what a bunch of sleaze balls

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

kelly would be a HUGE get in the 2nd. anything to take DBs off moss.

Posted by: ben | April 24, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

either that or Whitlock looked at the history. I don't have to name names, do I?

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | April 24, 2008 3:58 PM

etc - What Whitlock failed to say is that the Cowboys and Eagles are chasing CJ too. The Eagles went through the whole TO ordeal, and yet they still want CJ. But, they don't get knocked. The Cowgirls got a guy who while suspended, his boy took a bullet (or stabbing) for him in the club and died, and he went to jail before the Girls scooped him up. Now, they are picking up a dude who may or may not have been involved in a hit on a bouncer at a strip club.

I didn't read the article, but if he didn't include any of this, then his articles aren't worth reading if all he does is throw ignorant jabs at people he dosen't have a clue on.

I remember when Whitlock 1st came on to my tv on the 'SportsReporters' (ESPN Sunday mornings). He was a cool dude. Then, he got dropped and he was going on every radio show saying he got dropped because the other reporters on the show wanted everyone to take an anti Bonds approach when speaking on the subject, and he said he refused to do it, for reasons I can not remember anymore. At the time I thought 'finally, a real dude speaking his mind.' But, he has diverged into an extreme I will not accept.

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

So are they idiots showing how interested they are in these guys or is this roadtrip one big smoke screen. Send your top scout, GM and/or coach sure, but a whole contingent? You're telling me JC couldn't throw passes to him when he visited Redskins Park? Something's fishy here.

Posted by: Denmark | April 24, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I just had a horrifying scenario run through my mind . . . .

We trade #21 and some other (or 2) lower round picks to NE for #7. We then trade the #7 + lower round pick (or 2) to Cincy for CJ or (slightly less worse) Arizona for Boldin. . . we are potentitally that stupid aren't we?

Posted by: sfskin | April 24, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Phillip Merling - 6'4" and 276 pounds
Phillip Daniels - 6'4" and 276 pounds

[Note how they also share four letters in their last names.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Whoever said Phillip Daniels is the same player as Jason Taylor in the last thread? You wish.

This is getting interesting; I think it's fair to say that nobody has any idea what the Skins will do in the draft now!

I'd still rather be in your position than ours though. We're going to need a couple of good drafts to be more than just a bit-part player in the AFC East again.

Posted by: Redcoat | April 24, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

In other news, the Fins got a new OT locked up for five years, so you got that going for ya.

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"(JOHNSON) may not last until the 4th round, and that's a bit higher than where the Skins would probably like to take a QB given he would be a project and behind Campbell and Todd Collins for a while..."--JASNO

Glad to see Zorn has a little bit of the old George Allen philosophy in him. Just because you don't actually have a draft pick, doesn't mean you can' put it to good use, said George.

"Macaca" said his kid.

Posted by: Corkczar | April 24, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Yep Sween, now all we need is someone for him to protect who can throw the ball forwards....

And then someone(s) to catch it.

And so on, like such as, maps, etc.

Posted by: Redcoat | April 24, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

RC,

I think the Tuna knows what he's doing. I also think people severely underestimate the impact of a great offensive-lineman. Look what Joe Thomas did in Cleveland. With a healthy Ronnie Brown running behind an improved o-line, along with another year under the belt of youngsters like Ginn, I can see marked improvement coming. I don't think you'll jump to a 10-win team, but I can see a solid competition for that #2 spot in the AFC East.

Posted by: psps23 | April 24, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe ps. right now I'd be ecstatic with the mediocrity of 6 or 7 wins this year as long as we have a chance to get above .500 in 2009.

In the meantime good luck to you guys at the weekend. I would bet there will be some picks traded somewhere along the line, will be interesting to see who, and why.

Posted by: Redcoat | April 24, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The Eagles went through the whole TO ordeal, and yet they still want CJ.

Posted by: 4th | April 24, 2008 4:37 PM

4th, I'm right there with you wondering why the Iggles aren't getting all sorts of crap for even thinking about CJ.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and, uh (pause) something about not getting fooled again?

Adam

PS Pacman to Dallas

SMACK, start updating your do not go here list :)

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | April 24, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | April 24, 2008; 3:56 PM ET

Jasno,

The 'Skins don't have a fourth round pick this year. They either take him with their compensatory third round pick or with their fifth round pick.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

whats that smell?

Posted by: C.K. | April 24, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Pacman link

SMACK, he's also dis-invited to any future Summer's epl shabingi

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | April 24, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

dis-invited to the 6/7 blog meetup as well

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | April 24, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Posted by: | April 24, 2008 5:05 PM

Or they trade next years 3rd for a 4th this year.

Posted by: JD | April 24, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Or any event in Portland

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

also not welcome in Seattle

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Its all a smoke screen, management
wants Chad Johnson, a deal will be made
on Saturday.

Posted by: george costanza | April 24, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

better not see him in San Francisco either

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

OK with Alcatraz, but they'd have to stop the park tours and re-open the Rock

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to think that this trip was a smokescreen for something, but I'm not sure that Dan Snyder is that subtle.

We'll see Saturday.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

also not welcome in Seattle

Posted by: | April 24, 2008 5:10 PM

better not see him in San Francisco either

Posted by: | April 24, 2008 5:10 PM

I believe that, btwn the league and Jerrah, they've already covered those contingencies for 2008.

Week 12 SF @ DAL
Week 13 SEA @ DAL

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Can't he be invited to the After Blog Meet Up? I'm sure that would be fun....

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Guess if you've got a guy who can make it rain, you'd send if off to the Pacific NW

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Or they trade next years 3rd for a 4th this year.

Posted by: JD | April 24, 2008 5:08 PM

Can't. It's going to Cincy for CJ.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

BTW, what are the odds the Pacman sneaks over off to Vancouver for some bake and shake action before/after the Seattle game?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

1. PacMan won't travel to Seattle ... not even sure he's allowed through airport security.

2. Nice Yoder video on April 8th (scroll down). http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/

Posted by: dcsween | April 24, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 24, 2008 5:17 PM

While wearing the Humpty Hump nose to throw off the scent of the NFL Po-lice....

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Don't send him here either.

Posted by: The Plain in Spain | April 24, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Is he only allowed to to not go into Strip Clubs in the US of A?? If so, no wonder he wanted to go to Dallas. Less than an hour from the border......

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Found this on fark.com

Nice to see dallas is getting a playmate for TO....

"Now, there is no longer any doubt that Terrell Owens "accidentally" showed up in a frame of the BangBros. "Spring Break A$$" pictorial, as proven by a curt little letter from his attorney, Alan M. Lerner, obtained by TMZ.com, to TheDirty.com.

The letter, addressed to Nik Richie, blah-blah-blahs about all the problems the site has caused for T.O.'s "image" and demands a retraction of the language used in the post and the photo come down.

Nik Richie and his Dirty fellas are kind of P---ed, obviously.

Good times. You can read through the letter and marvel at Lerner's legalese.

(UPDATE: Nik Richie tells us he's "Not worried" about any of the legal btich slapping taking place about this.)"

Posted by: Corkczar | April 24, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Ik haak een broer up.

Posted by: Amsterdam She-male | April 24, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I was surfing you tube and i found a link to this. Its the tribute to Sean Taylor at the stadium.

I kind of lost sight of this but we should consider every day how lucky we are to be here, able to care for your children, love our families.
Never let a day go by where you don't remember Sean Taylor. Remind people of him at games. Don't let his memory die, I for myself will tell my children and grandchildren in 20 years about 21, how he was going to be the best safety we ever had, and that his memory should live on forever.

Posted by: riggo-drill | April 24, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Just finished watching the tribute to number 21. I say damn being smart, use the first round pick on a player who loves the game.

Posted by: Hughes | April 24, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, draft someone with passion. I dont care how kelly's 40 was as long as he is a beast on video. if he plays fast in pads, thats what i care about, not how he will run in practice without pads on.

Posted by: riggo-drill | April 24, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Merling seems like the right kind of guy. taking shot in the groin to play every week tells you how much he loves the game. Talent doesnt mean nothing if you dont play with heart and put it to use

Posted by: riggo-drill | April 24, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff. I can´t watch number 21 lay out a guy too many times. I´ll really miss it.

Posted by: Hughes | April 24, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

How about everyone´s favourite number 21 stories.

Mine was from the first Cowboys game last year. I watched it with my father and brother in-law, both pastors. The Skins are about to lose when the cowboys´field goal is blocked, number 21, with the help of a fask mask penalty, runs the ball into filed goal range. Skins win, and it is proven that God is a Redskins fan

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

if god is a redskins fan, why did he take sean away?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

To teach the angles how to tackle. I should clarify: my in-laws are Cowboys fans

Posted by: Hughes | April 24, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

4th, looks like Wesley Snipes coulda used your help getting those taxes filed...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Josh Johnson 40 some odd td's 1 int...not bad...

Posted by: Terpin It | April 24, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I have been reading and listening to a lot of people getting on VinnyDAN for being involved in this 1st Round pick or trade thing. In my mind, the 1st round pick is the guy every owner cares about. I think a good owner in this day and age, with Sheriff Good & Right being the NFL Commish, should be concerned about. I don't care that he wants to shake his hand and look him over.

The Bengals would have been better served in Mike Brown had met a few of his players before they were drafted.

It is VinnyDAN's involvement in everything else that kills me. I would not care if they traded the 21st for Ocho-Cinco. It is pretty clear that they (and lots of other NFL people) don't think there is a lot of value in the positions they need there, so they will be handing a 1st round contract to a guy who may not be worth it.

So the owner can stay in the war-room until that first round pick is done. That is the fun part. If I owned a team that is where I would be on draft day. But then he needs to get out.

AND THEN VC needs to have the guts to make picks. When I heard him bad-mouth rounds 5-7 I wanted to smack him. He said that 2/3 of all those players did not play in the NFL last year, so it is really a crapshoot. Really?

Not if you do your job. Your job is to evaluate and pick talent that other people don't see. It is to take educated guesses and not be afraid to be wrong. But, his job is be right, more than he is wrong.

I had to laugh at Brian Mitchell yesterday, cause he said that New Orleans obviously has smarter talent people then the Skins (which they may) because they knew Marcus Colston would be good. If they knew he was going to be that good, they would have taken him in 2nd round, not waited to the 7th.

So yes, it is a crapshoot, but you have to go out there and do your job.

FWIW - I would hold the pick and take Merling, I like the kid a lot as a player and he appears to me to be the BAP that will be there then.

Posted by: RedBee | April 24, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Trade the top pick to 'Zona for Boldin, throw in a round 5 pick to seal the deal. You'll get a solid young pro at a position you need. Which is better than you'll likely get by using that draft pick.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | April 24, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure someone has done a study. 4 years after drafting, what % of players have succeeded. By round. Even in the top round, there is a lot of hit and miss. So if you can get a proven player in return for a draft pick, you should usually take it.

Boldin has a lot of career in front of him. Trading him for a #21 pick + one more is a great deal for the Skins ....

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | April 24, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I have been reading where most think that Merling if there is a forgone conclusion. However, from JLC's post, Merling is not very productive as a pass rusher. If that is the case, and there is a run, say 2 of the top 5 WR's a drafted, picking Kelly at #21 makes the most sense. Why? AT #51 most of the "big" WR with high ranking will likely be drafted because of th abundence of teams looking at WR. Also, drafting a DE with similar skill set as Merling, i.e. stout aganist the run, not much of a pass rusher, gain be drafted in the later rounds.

Posted by: DownandOut | April 24, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DownandOut | April 24, 2008 7:59 PM

Merling is very similar to former Clemson Alum Trevor Pryce (http://www.nfl.com/players/careerstats?id=PRY103822) and considering the fact that he got 7 sacks and 20 QB hurries all while fending off a sports hernia, makes me think he can be a solid contributer for years to come, maybe even a pro-bowler. Remember this guy was projected to go to the Bengals at the 9th spot before teams found out about his sports hernia. He's talented enough to play End on the strong side and he's willing to move inside to play the 3 technique

Posted by: RIV | April 24, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Al,Zeke,(?)

I think you have to give the 21st pick and next year's 2nd rd in order to pry Boldin from the Cards.

To me this would still be good use of our draft picks. The FO will take plenty of hits, especially from Jasno, but to me it is worth it.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 24, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

No way should we take a WR in the first. Hardy would be the only one worthy and I still would not pick him in the 1st. Too much pressure for the WR to succeed.

If we are going to reach in the 1st because no one worthy is there and cannot trade down, the reach for an OLB, Mayo if he is there. That would not be a reach, but you cannot take a WR in the 1st!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 24, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

hello fellow skins fans have a question and i apologize for posting in this forum but i am looking for opionions... i live in atlanta i grew up in nova a lifelong skins fan. every year i take my boys to an away skins game (my boys are ages 6 and 7) we have been to dallas, philly, nashville, dc(obviously) and ny. this year the only schedule that works out is to take them to san francisco in dec (the 28th). my wife was at a party the other night and one of the ladies there said "you do not want to go to sf in dec!!" of course my wife did not ask why. i dont see any real weather issues anybody else know why? any help or anyone who lives in sf who has insight would be much appreciated thank and HTTR.

Posted by: G | April 24, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

G
dont worry about it

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

G here is the average December weather

November
December
January

This is the rainy season. Monthly rainfall often comes all on the same day, especially during winter storms.
Californians feel very cold on days when people from other parts of the country think it's warm. Please don't laugh at us, we can't help it!
The day after it rains, the skies are sometimes exceptionally clear and a photographer's delight! Umbrella or rain jacket with hood
Warm jacket (not a heavy winter coat)
Long-sleeved shirts and sweaters

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

if god is a redskins fan, why did he take sean away?

Posted by: | April 24, 2008 6:46 PM
********************************************

Reminds me of the ole Is God a right winger conservative? or a Left wing Liberal?

God is not a Redskins fan or a Cowboys fan.
He is God! and none of us are, so we will never know the answer as to why #21 was taken from us and others are not.

HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 24, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

SF in December will be wet and 45-50 degrees. Which is very similar to August in SF, as it turns out (except August is not as wet).

Northern California is basically a whole bunch of microclimates. So while the weather is different in the Sunset than Noe Valley than the Inner Mission than Potrero than South San Francisco, the neato thing about Candlestick (or whatever they're calling it these days) is that it's on the tippy top of the Peninsula, which is fairly temperate year round.

It's the best city on the left coast. Go there and have fun.

Be sure to head to Circolo, Jack Falstaff, and (my favorite) L'Osteria del Fiorno. Try a bottle of Plumpjack Cabernet. Avoid the Coppola wines.

Mmmmmm.

Posted by: P Diddy | April 24, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Here are some excerpts from an article wriiten today on Merling.

Merling Solidifies First Round Status

Merling was definitely very impressive during his junior season at Clemson. His team-high 17 tackles for a loss, including team-best 7 sacks, never gave an indication he was playing hurt. He also finished the year ranked fifth on the squad with 78 tackles, 16 more tackles than last year's No. 4 overall pick in the NFL Draft and former teammate Gaines Adams had during his senior year of 2006.

"Teams are worried about him having the surgery and if he is healthy," Merling's uncle and former position coach at Clemson Chris Rumph said. "If he is this, can he go? I think the purpose of this is to show that 'yeah I'm not 100 percent, but I'm not out here limping on one leg and that I will be able to go by the time camp and stuff starts.'

"I know how competitive he is, and how bad he wanted to prove to people that he was healthy and was ready to go for the draft. Once he made his mind up that he wanted to go, Jimmy was like okay let's do it."

Now the question is where will Merling go?

Before Wednesday's big trade that dealt Kansas City defensive lineman Jared Allen to Minnesota for their first-round pick, the thought was Merling might go to the Vikings at No. 17. Now, many experts believe he will go to Washington at No. 21, though there is still a slight chance the Carolina Panthers might pick him up at No. 13.

"But if you look at the film and watch this kid, it's a no brainier. Those are the two type guys. There are teams that believe in the film and there are teams that believe in the workouts. It all depends on what they are looking for."

Merling just hopes whatever any of them are looking for they found it in him on Thursday.

"They're going to get a player. A football player," he said. "I'm a football player. I'm going to compete every single day in practice on the football field. I don't care if I play a three technique, at nose guard, linebacker or defensive end; I'm going to give it my all. I don't care.

"That's thing about me. I don't care where I go and (where) I play. As long as I gave it my all, that's what I'm going to do."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

f god is a redskins fan, why did he take sean away?

Posted by: | April 24, 2008 6:46 PM
********************************************

God is not a Redskins fan or a Cowboys fan.

HTTR!

I was being ironical. Since my in-laws work for god and their team lost I draw the absurd conclusion that god is a Skins fan. I just love it when they beat the Cowboys. Besides everyone knows that god doesn´t follow the NFL, he is CFL all the way.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

If you have 9 picks and you give up 1, what the f**k is the problem??? C'mon people, work with me here.

9 - 1 = 8

HAIL!

Posted by: sicwidit | April 24, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

John Jansen picks Limas Sweed at #21

21. Redskins
Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

With our new West Coast offense, a big body would be a great addition. Sweed's 6-4, 210-pound frame and good hands allow him to make some big-time catches.

Posted by: JD | April 24, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Carrying over from the last thread: let me say I think the Skins' strategy of trading picks for FAs the last several years has been nuts. I still like trading #21 for Jason Taylor. Undersized? Please. The man is a perennial probowler. Is he getting older? Sure -- maybe he's only got 3-4 years left. Still, there is no sure thing at #21 and Dline talent is thin in the later rounds. Taylor gives us at least a year or two of solid pressure on the line and relieves the pressure on what is going to be a suspect secondary this year. PLUS we still have 8 picks in the later rounds to spend on filling holes. It's not a bad move -- much smarter than two #1's for Boldin or a #1 & 3 for Ocho Cinco.

Posted by: Logan | April 24, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I had heard that the skins may pick Erik Ainge in the later rounds if he was still on the board. Any of you guys hear anything like that? Also is there still a chat with jasno on Thursdays now that the sesson is over?

Posted by: Skin | April 24, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

CB's might be sliding to the skins

Separation at cornerback
Leodis McKelvin (right) has separated himself from the pack somewhat and looks like the player a majority of teams feel is the top cornerback on the board. That could mean some teams feel more inclined to look at him earlier in the first round, though there probably won't be a lot of urgency to reach for him with an early pick. The more interesting situation at cornerback, though, is the fight between Mike Jenkins and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for the No. 2 spot behind McKelvin.
I've been told by more than one team that Jenkins and Rodgers-Cromartie are pretty much neck-and-neck but that the tiebreaker for some teams could end up being the fact that Rodgers-Cromartie has only one kidney. He is not a very physical player to begin with, and some teams might wonder whether he is protecting himself against a career-threatening injury to his single kidney. Rodgers-Cromartie won't fall out of the first round, but he could slip behind Jenkins because of that worry. Aqib Talib, on the other hand, continues to fall behind the other corners, and much of that has to do with character concerns. Talib has had off-the-field issues, including the admission that he failed multiple tests for marijuana in college, that likely will drop him to the end of the first round.

Posted by: draftwatch | April 24, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Skins in no man's land.

Trading up: Teams such as Seattle, Dallas, San Francisco and others in the last half of the first round have been flooded by calls from teams trying to trade up from the second round. Some are looking to get from the second round into the first to get a quarterback. Because of the call volume the Thursday before the draft, a couple trades at the bottom of the first round are probably going to happen.

- John Clayton

Posted by: draftwatch | April 24, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

if god is a redskins fan, why did he take sean away?

Posted by: | April 24, 2008 6:46 PM

God needed an all pro safety and he got the best damn one. RIP 21

Posted by: riggo-drill | April 24, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Skin at 10:21, I know it's silly, but after Heath Shuler I am not interested in the Skins drafting a QB from that university that plays its home games on the riverside in Knoxville.

Yeah, yeah, I realize this Ainge guy is a foot taller than Shuler, and that since Shuler came and went there is this other QB who came into the league from UT and has had some success. But still. They don't pay me to make rational judgments up here.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

With you on the QB thing. We need to look at the San Diego State QB, Kevin O'Connell. We can get him in the 6th or later.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 24, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Also, Skin, I think Jasno's weekly live chat has been on hiatus since the Skins' season ended. But he and J-Reid make appearances on this Washington Post Live show on Comcast... I've never seen it, but I guess you can submit questions via the email.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should really try to get Williams from the Lions. He would be the best fit with us and may not cost as much as CJ or Boldin. Betts could make this a one draft pick trade.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 24, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

I dunno what to expect on the QB front, Curz. We have the 1-2 spots locked in on the depth chart, so the question is really who wants to be mentored by ToCo in the art of clipboard holding. Could be just about anybody.

As I've said before, you can't outhold the clipboard Todd Collins. But I guess the dude ought to have some inkling of how the West Coast Offense is operated. And he ought to get along well with Zorn.

Speaking of which, in the event (God forbid) of another 'body bag' game, if all the QBs and ARE went down, would Zorn himself suit up? As horrible as that would be, wouldn't it be kind of rad? Apparently he can still zing it.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I think that the visit to Clemson to see Merling is a smoke screen. We are either trading this pick for Williams or Taylor. Too many Skins at the Merling workout for us to pick him. Skins want other teams to think this is who we want!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 24, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Nate, unless Zorn puts himself on the roster, he will not be throwing any passes no matter how awesome that would be. The Skins cannot afford to use more than a 6th rd pick on a QB. With three 7 rd picks, I think this is the earliest that they go QB.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 24, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the Zorn at QB thing was stupid. And I'm not even drinking.

sween wants us to save at least one of those later round picks for a punter, I think.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree with sween. We cannot afford to go with a undrafted FA punter. And like he has said, we need a punter that has QB experience for any band snaps.

Not drinking?? That does make the Zorn as 4th string QB a reach. Mrs. Curzon and I had a couple of cosmopolitians this evening, so anything (according to kost) I say/print is excusable. Haha!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 25, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

This is what I was talking about above:

The Browns' Savage recalls an impression left by the Washington Redskins' contingent at the University of Miami's pro day workout for NFL teams in 2004, when Savage was personnel director of the Baltimore Ravens. The Redskins had the fifth pick in the draft, when the late safety Sean Taylor and tight end Kellen Winslow II were Miami's two hottest prospects.

Washington's actions, Savage says, now seem like a smokescreen.

"I don't know if it was intentional or not," Savage says, "but the Redskins came in on a private jet, we go out for the workout, Kellen had his workout, and they were leaving while Sean Taylor began his drills. I'm like, 'Oh, the Redskins, they're taking Winslow.' They stood there and studied Winslow intensely, and when it was Taylor's turn they were like, 'See you guys. We've got to get out of here.' "

The Redskins wound up drafting Taylor, whom they evaluated in a private workout.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 25, 2008 12:09 AM

Sorry, this was me.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 25, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Curzon, you may be on to something. I think the Skins may do something shocking....remember the coaching search? Who would have thought of Zorn?

Posted by: Lisa | April 25, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

WHere the heck is kost, anyway?

Band snaps? Is that a trick play, or some kind of injury?

-Nate in the PDX*

* now drinking

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, you gotta be happy about the big Wiz win tonight. Good for them... I hope they can make a series of it.

I have to agree that it's very tough to predict what's going to happen, who'll be available at #21 or how we might trade up or down, whether any of these preposterous trades will occur...

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

Everything is telling me that something has to be in the works. How do the Skins show their hand so publicly??

Nate, have not seen/read kost is some time. Hope it is not this crazy unregistration!!

Congrats to all Wiz fans out their. Can they do two more??

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 25, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

By everything I mean the world wide web, martini's and maps, such as...

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 25, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 25, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

(Denunzio thinks he's an hororary cricket.)

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 25, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

AM I crazy to think Jason Taylor would be a better use of the first rounder than Merling??

Posted by: DTC | April 25, 2008 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor = washed-up has-been

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 5:08 AM | Report abuse

DTC - yes,you are crazy. Why would you trade a #1 pick for someone on the wrong side of 30???

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the sf info. it seems the raiders want out of their pick pretty bad... what could we offer and will dorsey still be there. would we take mcfadden and shaun alexander portis?

Posted by: G | April 25, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Vinny, repeat after me: "Best player available in the first two rounds; fill needs in rounds 3-7."

It's worked for the Pats, Ravens and every other consistently good team.

Posted by: CMoney | April 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

i think the qb thing has some merit. Zorn had a very athletic backup in Seneca Wallace in Seattle and he might invision this kid being the same.

Posted by: chicago | April 25, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse