James Hopes to Contribute Thursday

Defensive end Erasmus James has been through enough knee injuries to know when he feels absolutely 100 percent. He's not there quite yet, but believes he is getting close.

James played in the final two preseason games in a limited role and is ready to see some action Thursday against the New York Giants. How much he will play remains to be seen. James was acquired from Minnesota for a seventh-round pick at a time when he was injured and had been placed on waivers.

The Redskins were very thin at defensive end and needed reinforcements and he was a cheap solution. He is coming off season-ending knee surgery and trying to stave off any major setbacks. He hopes he can find a new home here but is also still finding his way.

"The biggest thing for me is just continuing to get better and get even more healthier," James said. "I'm not quite 100 percent yet, but I feel like every day I go out there and get better. That feels good."

James, a Bronx native and diehard Yankee fan (yet still nice enough to chat with me pretty regularly despite my ever-present Sox hat), is an upbeat guy who has fought through a lot. I get the sense he will be a work-in-progress for several more weeks judging from the preseason, and he aims to show the NFL that he can still be an elite talent worthy of his selection in the first round by the Vikings a few years back.

"I'm really appreciative and really glad with where I am right now," James said. "I know I'm going to have some opportunity at some point [Thursday], and whenever that comes I'm going to make the best of it."

(Sorry about the D Line overload lately, but with some many injuries over there and the fact that the unit was carved up pretty good in its last real outing - the Carolina game - and the fact that the lack of a legit pass rush has been an issue around here, since, like forever, I just kind of went off, I guess).

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 2, 2008; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Don't Sleep On Demetric Evans
Next: We've Gone Too Long Without a Sellers Post (Update 4)

Comments

I hope the same for Erasmus.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 2, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

ssssssssecond! come on, knee!

Posted by: ssssss | September 2, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Who is ready for some FOOTBALL!!!

Posted by: Fat Bob | September 2, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

We're talking about the FO. Justin Tryon anyone? That call was just atrocious. If anyone thought Tryon looked better than the other DB's who got cut they must have been watching a different game.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:50 AM

I agree. Others looked better than he did, and some of them are on the practice squad. But none of them looked faster than he did.

The line I'm buying on the roster is that they kept the players who they think give them the best team two or three years from now. They didn't draft for today. And they see a lot more upside in Tryon on the old theory that you can teach coverage skills, but you can't teach speed.

They see these guys in practice every day. We see them only in parts of five exhibition games. I trust them to choose the best roster -- they have a lot more incentive to win games than we do.

If you've got some wingnut consiparacy theory about the FO, then I'll admit you're in a big crowd. I wouldn't want to be seen in that crowd, but each to his own.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 2, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

te, agreed. While he did have some passes completed on him I thought that he showed improvement from the start of the pre-season, to the end of it.

Posted by: Greg | September 2, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

TE,

Where did you read that they were drafting for 2 or 3 years from now? Or that just a theory? That would be a welcome change to the normal approach but if Vinny or Danny said it, then I missed it.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree with TE;

They break down game film, that is their job. It is the same as us speculating about why certain sites are chosen for oil drilling for the lack of a better example.

We say "thats a wildlife preserve, you are going to hurt those animals' but the truth is they would have to drill 10 wells elsewhere to make up for that one... and there probably is a bigger environmental impact.

But we only see what is on the surface. If Richardson gets picked up elsewhere and starts, then i will admit the FO was wrong... until then, we are just hacks anyway...

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

............ I agree with the Tryon thing. That is the only one that to me is indefensible.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 9:52 AM

Z,

If that guy was a undrafted rookie FA do you think he'd be on the team. Cause based on his play in the preseason he may have looked the most overmatched of any player on the team. That jville game had to be embarrassing for him.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 9:54 AM

J Campbell looked terrible his rookie year drafted and wouldn't have been able to start for any team as well. That's why he didn't play, but he was on the roster.

People get drafted for different reasons. Tryon was drafted NOT to help out now. He is a work in progress.

Posted by: 4th | September 2, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 2, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

It's going to be another busy day up here -- we have lots of updates planned -- but I also wanted to alert you to our new feature, The League. You guys are MVBs here and hope you'll be there, as well.

Posted by: Cindy | September 2, 2008 9:57 AM

Cindy, this is an unwelcome development. Why you gotta give me ONE MORE reason to pay attention to this site instead of that other thing?

I hope as part of the launch of The League you guys set Maske's NFL blog aflame and gently pushed it into the Potomac, giving it a decent Viking funeral.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 2, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry, Tryon is gonna get cut...by my colon shank!

Posted by: Prison Balls | September 2, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Well my my football IQ is 0.0 but i'd love to see the stats from that last game of passes completed to other DB's and passes completed to Tryon. I still think if he'd been a UFA he'd have been cut. That's purely speculation Z and certainly we're only seeing him in games but while practice is good games are where it counts.

Greg,

You think he got better as the games went on? I saw that guy get smoked by 3rd and 4th string QB's and WR's in the 4th quarter of the Jville game.

I'm done beating a dead horse but he looked awful. That's not to say that he won't turn into something and I agree with TE on the speed thing. Certainly any skins fan knows that undersized fast DB's can have decent careers...

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Well put Zeb....

I'm somewhat optimistic about the DE's that the team has. I think with a good rotation, they'll DRAMTICALLY increase the overall effectiveness of the line. I think that Evans will play a huge role this year, and by the end of the year, I could see James kind of doing the same thing.

I'm also excited about Heyer over Jansen. JZ wants to put the BEST 11 guys out there. Period. Jansen didn't think it was all that fair, guess what, stop being a turn stile out there, and you'll play.

Posted by: Greg | September 2, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

skinz, yeah, in the Colts game, I though he was overwhelmed. In the J-ville game, he was going up against some front line receivers, Matt "thats not my coke" Jones, and Reggie Williams. The passes got completed, however he was right on his man. He wasn't getting turned around, he didn't seem to be over his head.

My thoughts anyway....

Posted by: Greg | September 2, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

4th,

A third string QB prospect who doesn't count against your game day roster isn't the same as a 4th or 5th string DB who will probably be called upon to cover someone this year. Darn you 4th I said I was done beating the dead horse.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

True Greg, I said 4th or 5th string but many were Matt Jones. I stand corrected.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Greg - You were right.

But, I must point out that my original line was to trade Betts and Keep Mason vs. keeping all 4 on the roster which dosen't make any sense........

I wasn't in the 'Keep em all' camp. I'm still in the get rid of Betts camp with the 1st opportunity.......

Posted by: 4th | September 2, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Greg;

There is the proof JZ is way diff than JG... hopefully his decision to keep all the draft picks were not influenced by vinny since JJ's salary obvi wasnt

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Skinz, I'm sure Tryon will be deacticavted as well. Of the 53 man roster, 8 guys need to be deactiviated to reach the 45 game day roster......

Posted by: 4th | September 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The main thing you saw in the J-ville game with Tryon was a 5-9 rookie CB going against 6-4 veteran receivers. he had no chance and he's got to learn how to play those guys.

He's got Spring, Smoot and Double-move to learn from and could develop into a decent CB down the line. Richardson didn't look any better against front line receivers either (See Steve Smith).

I just hope JT doesn't see the field much on D this season because that dude is definately not ready yet.

Posted by: etrod | September 2, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Ok, we are at the limit of initials beginning with J....

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

My, my, my serpentine!

Ohhh! I wanna hear you scream!

Posted by: W. Axl Rose | September 2, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

W. Axl,

When are we gonna see Chinese Democracy? It's been 12 years!

Posted by: etrod | September 2, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The thing that sucks about losing Mason, is that I had just joined his fan club.

Honestly, it was the best thing for the team. They could not justify keeping a 4th string running back, he wouldn't have seen the field. As it is, he'll probably spend the year on the Ravens practice squad, then light it up in pre-season next year, only to make the practice squad again.

Posted by: Greg | September 2, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Was he signed to the Raven's practice squad or their 53 man roster? McMullen played well too. Wonder where he ended up.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Practice squad for Ravens

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

1987, we release Appetite. 1988, Redskins in the Super Bowl.

1991, we release the two Use Your Illusions. 1992, Redskins in the Super Bowl.

See a pattern here?

TAKE!! ME!! HOME!!

Posted by: W. Axl Rose | September 2, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

BTW, we're at 231,003, in case anyone was wondering.

Posted by: Cindy | September 2, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Ah, so we should see Chinese Democracy in 2021 or so.

Posted by: etrod | September 2, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 10:38 AM

Drive-through window.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 2, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 10:15 AM

I read it, but it was a theory, not a quote from management. Someone posted a link to the Rich Tandler blog up here right after Jasno and Wise were damning the 'Skins for cutting Frost. Here's what he wrote:

Let me get this straight here. All of a sudden Derrick Frost is the expert on all things Redskins, including the workings the front office? I must have missed all of those times when reporters and columnists flocked to Frost to get a real feel for the pulse of the team and for the direction of the organization.

Oh, wait, you mean he popped off and all of a sudden he's newsworthy?

The last throwaway line about Tryon is another gem. I think that the Redskins got exactly what the expected out of him when they drafted him. They knew he had good speed and suspect coverage skills. You can teach the coverage skills, you can't teach the speed. Keep him on the team as your fifth corner, work to hone is coverage skills, and see what you have in 2009.

The Redskins have been criticized over the years, and justifiably so, for slapping together a team for the here and now rather than building for the future. So this year, in late April, they identified 10 football players who they thought would help them win games in the future. Not necessarily in 2008, but in 2009 and beyond.

And now, in late August, the organization still believes in those players. Perhaps the team would be a little better in 2008 if they had kept Billy McMullen as a sixth receiver rather than Rob Jackson as a tenth defensive lineman or Frost instead of Brooks or even Stu Schweigert rather than Chris Horton.

But it's apparent that this roster was not built with 2008 as the sole focus. A team that has been accused, again with considerable justification, of shifting direction on a whim, sticks by its guns and sticks with its plan to start retooling for the future.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 2, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Ah, so we should see Chinese Democracy in 2021 or so.

Posted by: etrod | September 2, 2008 10:48 AM
------------
Is that a Chinese 2021 year? If so, will it be the year of the finger?

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 2, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Thanks TE.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks TE.

Posted by: Skinz | September 2, 2008 10:51 AM

This perspective just makes so much more sense to me than Jasno's theory about how we kept all ten to make Vinny look good.

I still believe that the Redskins -- starting with the owner -- are trying to build a winning team and if they do, then Vinny will look good. And, if they don't, he will be looking for a job himself. Maybe I'm naive, but I keep reading this blog and no one has come up yet with a good enough case to convince me otherwise.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 2, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 2, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

TE;

It wasnt only Jasno's theory.

On WASH post live Al Koken and ivan carter said the same thing...

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: Zebra | September 2, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, what's with getting down on the FO about keeping all 10 rookies? If they cut 3 of them, then we'd be hearing "they wasted 3 picks on ____". For those who can't read lower case, YOU CAN'T JUDGE A DRAFT UNTIL 3 YEARS HAVE PASSED. And even then you can't be sure. After 4 years, LaVar looked like a bona fide superstar. Now he's out of the league and nothing more than a footnote in Redskins draft history.

You're trying to grade guys who have exactly 5 PRESEASON games to their credit. How dumb does it look to cut a draft pick for a bad camp on account of an undrafted rookie? By Week 15 you might see these rookies playing some solid ball. Or in 2010 they'll be Pro Bowlers. Or they'll be cut next year. You won't know before 2010 at the earliest.

There's plenty to hate about the FO (God knows I hate it more than most), but this doesn't count. For every undrafted gem a team unearths, there's about 50 more that are just "a guy".

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 2, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 2, 2008 11:01 AM

This "nfl crime watch project" is a hateful piece of work by the Post's Emil Steiner on a few levels.

First off, the illustration is a pair of handcuffs. How many of the so-called criminals were ever placed in handcuffs?

Second, most of the cases that were settled were actually "dismissed" or "charges dropped." So, if this was the outcome, there was no crime. Why are these falsely accused men listed on a "crime watch"?

Third, the list ignores the crimes which are commited against NFL players, like the one earlier today.

Fourth, the list is largely composed of African-American men. Do you think the Post would compile the list if it were largely whites or females?

I think the Post's Sports Editor and Ombudsman should take a look at this "project" and shut it down.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 2, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

2 more days...let the thrashing begin...I'm predicting a national Skins embarassment of biblical proportions

BIG BLUE!

Posted by: New York baller | September 2, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I love mys Skins, but I think we're gonna get thrashed this week...and I'm not talkin about James Thrash.

Posted by: Prison Balls | September 2, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Plagiarism is an ugly thing. Basically you went to the Pro Football Talk site run by Mike Florio and copied his idea. How pathetic. I expect better from the WaPo.

Posted by: will_ga | September 2, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse