Eric Berry possibility remains intriguing

If you've followed Redskins Insider today, you've noticed we'll be assessing the chances of whom the Redskins might select with their first pick tonight in the NFL Draft.

Rick Maese reported the team might make a major move in an attempt draft former Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, who will be the No. 1 overall pick. But if the Redskins stay at No. 4, we've heard they will strongly consider dynamic safety Eric Berry, whom I'll be writing more about shortly.

The Redskins believe Berry would be a perfect fit for their new defensive scheme and that he's the most talented player in the draft regardless of position, a person familiar with the Redskins' thinking informed me in a text message earlier this week. The Redskins ultimately might pick an offensive tackle because of their concerns about that position, the source explained, but Berry "could be their guy."

We've spoken with several of the players expected to be selected early in today's draft, and Berry came across well in my interview with him. Many within the league expect the Redskins to shake up things tonight, and drafting Berry would qualify.

By Jason Reid  |  April 22, 2010; 11:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trading up for Sam Bradford still a possibility
Next: Redskins' prospects with No. 4 pick: Eric Berry

Comments

Mike Florio
April 22nd, 11:12
Boston fan traded for future consideration

Reliable sources have confirmed that an unnamed transplanted Boston resident has been traded from WaPo RI to one (or both) of two Philadelphia institutions: either the Inquirer or the Daily News. The trade was for future consideration, likely a ham sandwich.
Both papers have agreed to put themselves up for auction rather than accept the trade.

Sorry I don't know how to include a link, but this is true!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Did Philly have to throw in bonus pts?

Posted by: skinswest | April 22, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

If they think they can trade for Jamaal Brown then the Skins will draft Berry, no question about it.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | April 22, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

What. No kickers?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 22, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 11:30 AM

MOL... MOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

If this team goes another year without addressing seriously their o-line issues I shall conclude that nothing much has changed, and McNabb will be eating as much turf as did JC last year, and the whining and complaining from the malcontent running backs we have will be a Cerberus-like yelping that will erode the team worse than last year.

Posted by: pdfordiii | April 22, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | April 22, 2010; 11:27 AM ET

Ever since I changed my name to League-Source he has believed anything I text him. If this weren't already working so well I'd change it to Mike Shanahan.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

j reid rings the bell with nothing tangible, mere speculation and bloggers run with it. salivating like pavlovs dogs.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 22, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

...and McNabb will be eating as much turf as did JC last year...

Posted by: pdfordiii | April 22, 2010 11:38 AM

hey, that's my job.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Um, yeah...getting a bit ridiculous up here. I'll see you mugs in the morning when we break down how much we like picking up our brand new franchise LT...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 22, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Yeah right. Does anybody really believe this nonsense? CLEARLY total BS floated to get somebody to jump up and trade for the Skins pick. Seriously the worst bluff ever.

Posted by: jva1 | April 22, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"And McNabb can use his mobile abilities to flee from Heyer's freeway on the blind side for a year..."

Seeing how McNabb's "mobile abilities" have been declining for the last several seasons, there is no way that McNabb will last three games with Stephon "Turnstile" Heyer protecting McNabb's blindside.

He can still make plays with his feet better than most QBs, but this ain't 2000 when McNabb was putting juke moves on Mark Carrier at the third level.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"Eric Berry possibility remains intriguing"

So essentially what we're saying is that the Redskins could either stay at #4 and draft Ndomakung Suh, Gerald McCoy, Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford, Eric Berry, Russel Okung, or Trent Williams, or the Redskins could opt to trade up to select Sam Bradford, or the Redskins could opt to trade down with the hopes of picking up extra draft picks.

In other words, we know absolutely nothing other than anything can happen.

Shanahan and Allen -- you're doing well fellas. Talk about pre-draft masters.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

If they draft Berry, don't be surprised to see the 'Skins move back into the late first to get OT Charlie Brown from USC (scouting report: http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010cbrown.php), followed by the signing of a couple vet tackles (Flozzell Adams, Levi Jones, etc.).

I'm less sure about the vet part, but put me down-- if the pick isn't an OT or a trade down (aka- Berry), we'll be back in the 1st round for Charlie Brown. Book it (and F copyrights, btw).

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 22, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

@skinswest - BG had to throw in mega BPs
@Moos - You are one clever cow. I've never known one in the past.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

a Cerberus-like yelping that will erode the team worse than last year.

Posted by: pdfordiii | April 22, 2010 11:38 AM

Hats off to pdfordii (how do you pronounce that?) for the first mention up here of Cerberus-like yelping. I think Shanahan has rules against that, but in case he doesn't I think that the financial reform legislation in Congress will regulate the hell out of it.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | April 22, 2010; 11:27 AM ET

Posted by: League-Source

"a person familiar with the Redskins' thinking" lq

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 22, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Did we forget that we have Moore, Horton, Landry and Doughty?

What the F are we gonna do with all these safeties?

Can Berry play LT?

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 22, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

after giving the eagles our #37 pick for mcnabb, i'm willing to consider the possibility of anything happening.

that trade cured me of predicting what this FO is up to, at least for a while

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 22, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

In other words, we know absolutely nothing other than anything can happen.

Shanahan and Allen -- you're doing well fellas. Talk about pre-draft masters.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2010 11:44 AM

what matters is who they've been chatting with on the phone for the past week. even MS and BA won't know until it starts. all of the various scenarios have been game planned, just waiting to see how it shakes out.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

..and you knew it because there is crazy sh!t posted up here every day that the sun rises in the East.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

RI = The Mecca of crazy sh!t.. Gotta love it!

The frontrunner so far is Redskindan, but the day is still young...

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 22, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 22, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

BTW, why hasn't Reid followed up on Steinberg's quotes from Landry saying that he's going to play a little linebacker this season?

Seems like a pretty important development to me.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Could RI just post: "We have no friggin' idea what the Redskins are going to do"?

Posted by: SteveMG | April 22, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

moo, how do you type with hooves?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

i wouldn't have a problem with move back take berry and the USC OT

that addreses 2 positions of need

although, we need a LT more than we need an OT

I like the description, "prototypical LT" that has been used the most for Okung who would require the #4, most likely.

then re-sign levi jones

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SteveMG | April 22, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

HA!

btw.. HA = Humor Appreciated.. LOL is sooo 2000.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Cow friendly keyboard.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jva1

I can see them drafting Berry at #4 before I see them trading up to get Bradford at #1 or selecting Clausen at #4.

But I think if given the choice between Berry, Okung, and Williams, I think they'll go with Okung.

I don't know Chris Samuels is representing the Redskins in NY, I know it may sound a little gullible but I can't see them NOT taking a LT at four.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

moo, how do you type with hooves?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 11:51 AM

lt;ovtha vtds092on yacs;mula sep;mio;awe muhjny?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Seems like a pretty important development to me.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2010 11:49 AM |

He's still researching it. That consists of clicking on PFT (the real PFT, not what passes for PFT from some guy in Bahstan whose access is blocked at work), reading Schefter's tweets, and waiting for a scrap from Jason LaCanfora.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SteveMG

no because that would be factual

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

moo, how do you type with hooves?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

This time tomorrow it will all be a moog point.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 22, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

If the Redskins source is texting this info out the week of the draft, then I am inclined not to believe it. We are not going to fill all our holes this year. However, the Skins do need to get a post-McNabb franchise QB somehow and there are only so many ways to do that. How many are coming up for unrestricted FA next year? If you draft one, in most cases development time is required. If any QB drafted today is pushing McNabb for a starting position this year or next, that seems to me to be a gift from the Gods... I would imagine with next years FAs we could do a decent job of rebuilding the line next year. Drafting QBs is a crapshoot at best but again, you have to get them somewhere. Nobody knows if Bradford is the next Schuler or the next Montana. Safety would be at least 3rd on my list (after OL and QB).

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 22, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 11:44 AM

On some level, that's a misconception...a few years back McNabb said he didn't want to be pigeon-holed as a "running QB" and he tried to stay in the pocket more. So I don't think he stopped running as much because he CAN'T, I think he stopped running as much because he wanted to change people's view of him.

So while I doubt he can still run like he did at 21, I don't think there's a more athletic starting-caliber QB than DMac (outside of Vick).

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 22, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

You gotta giv Sam Bradford one thing:

He would have been the 1st pick last year had he come out and now 1 year and 1 injury later he is still gonna be the 1st pick in the draft among "allegedly" the most talented drafts in years.

He MUST grade out to be one helluva prospect to do that!

Posted by: Vicc | April 22, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

One side of mouth: “ I love how we have a real FO who won’t tip their hand and puts multiple smoke screens out there”
Other side of mouth: “Curse you stupid RI jerks for perpetuating the smokescreens! We won’t know until it happens you dummies. And by the way they are going to draft so and so; I KNOW it.”

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 22, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 11:53 AM

Smokescreen got another one! Hey Red, what do you think of those PFT posts by BeantownGreg1?

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Berry is intriguing because their desperate to trade down a spot or two to get more picks.

Posted by: skinswest | April 22, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

This time tomorrow it will all be a moog point.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 22, 2010 11:56 AM

such as?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Did we forget that we have Moore, Horton, Landry and Doughty?

What the F are we gonna do with all these safeties?

Can Berry play LT?

Posted by: Rypien11

yeah 3 Strongs and an unproven free safety

but, LT is clearly the weakest link on the team, IMO

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 22, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I know that drafting Berry wouldn't necessarily address a "need" the way taking an O-lineman would, but I would have absolutely no problems with the 'Skins going in that direction. He's an outstanding player who could make the highlight reel for years to come. And I'd love to see some 3-safety sets with Berry, Landry, and either Doughty or Horton.

Man, I love the draft!

Posted by: Wonsapnatm | April 22, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

There's a guy with the handle "horsefellow" in the AV Club commenting community, and his shtick is that his comments are always egregiously misspelled. Because, you know, typing with hooves.

A different approach to that taken by our ruminating friend moodlymoo. Not better, just different.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Berry is one of 4 players in Tier 1, along with Bradford, Suh, and McCoy. There is no reason to reach for a Tier 2 player based on need when a Tier 1 future All Pro is available. We can fill our hole at LT with a bevy of FAs.

Posted by: Dellis2 | April 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SteveMG

no because that would be factual

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Oh Snap!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 22, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Moooot point.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 22, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I would not be at all upset if we took Berry. Yes, we need a tackle but Berry is the best player in the draft.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 22, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

We can fill our hole at LT with a bevy of FAs.

Posted by: Dellis2 | April 22, 2010 12:00 PM

Because that bevy of FAs in irresistible. Shoot, even Jon Jansen got picked out of last year's bevy. You might "fill your hole" with these guys, but it's the wrong hole.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Vince Young?

And Brown, IF what you're saying about McNabb is true; that he basically stopped running because of what people thought of him, well then he's just weak mentally in that regard. And IF true, I now have SERIOUS doubts about his leadership abilities and maybe gives some insight into why the Eagles were willing to part with him.

If I had the ability to outrun NFL defenders I would do it, outside conceptions be damned!

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Okay, league sources say RI have no friggin' idea what the Skins are going to do.

Do I need another source a la Woodward/Bernstein? Deep Quote?

Posted by: SteveMG | April 22, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod

I've been saying this since last November and was mobbed and stoned to death by the "upgrade the offensive line" advocates...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Look, we all know that the Redskins won't be a playoff team next year. So there's no need to plug all our holes so that we're 8-8 and not 7-9. Why not take one of the few superstars in this draft and then fill our O-line holes next year via a fantastic free agent class and/or the draft?

Remember what Portland's logic was when they took Bowie over Jordan? They already had Drexler, so they filled a big man need.

Posted by: Dellis2 | April 22, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I really starting to get convinced that Bradford is the target. How they swing that and get a quality LT is up for debate. They could go with Flozell. They could trade for Jamal Brown (AH or future pick?)which I know is completely random thought, but makes sense given the type of defense AH likes to play in. IMO Bradford is their target.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Vince Young?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:04 PM

I said "starting caliber"...Vince Young is barely that.

But even if I grant you that, he's still an elite athlete for a QB.

To your 2nd point, I don't think it makes him weak-minded per se, I think he just wanted to be a better QB than athlete. He still ran when absolutely necessary, it's just that taking off running after your 2nd read isn't making you a better QB, it's letting athleticism be a crutch.

So I'm actually encouraged by that display on his part because it shows that he doesn't want to take any shortcuts to success. I think he has the goods...you have to in order to be the QB of a perennial contender.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 22, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

What does Mel Kiper Jr think?

Posted by: nycskinsfan | April 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

If we weren't so desperately in need of offensive linemen, I would love to see Berry in B&G. IMO he's easily the best player in this draft.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | April 22, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I think they are actually doing the best job possible at confusing the teams that may want to trade up. They would love to trade down, and they are doing everything right to try to make that possible. I hope it works.

And I hope we get a late 1, early 2 for Haynesworth, who is the biggest loser in my opinion. He is a sorry excuse for a proffesional athlete. He should be busting his but for us given what we paid him, and say nothing but, 'what do you want me to do coach?". I'm still amazed at how he has acted.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | April 22, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

This from the guy who late last week assured us all that the Skins would be very active this week. Phplt!

Posted by: hand_of_doom | April 22, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

You writers are full of it! I can`t believe how many different scenarios you all come up with. Shanny values draft picks..so he will be looking to add picks..not give them up. They failed so much last year due to poor offense..so why take a defensive player?

Posted by: blazerguy234 | April 22, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blazerguy234 | April 22, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blazerguy234 | April 22, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blazerguy234 | April 22, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I remember years ago the Redskins were in a similar position, and based on team needs ahead of them, they were able to draft Champ Bailey, who many believed was the best athlete and most complete player in that draft.

The Redskins definitely need offensive line, but does anyone think that one tackle gets them to the superbowl? They have so many needs that drafting a "stud" safety would not hurt them. Defenses win championships or so I've heard.

Posted by: salbright | April 22, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Obviously the logical move is to take the stud left tackle. For that reason, look for the Skins to either draft a safety or a quarterback.

Posted by: randysbailin | April 22, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse