Exit 16W - Not The Place To Be

The Giants are, by all accounts, reeling. But if recent history is any indication, the Skins O Line might need another he-man performance like last week. Mark Brunell has been hurt in two of the three games he's played against the G-men in a Skins' uni, and been banged around quite a bit. Keeping Strahan and Umenyiora in line is a must, because QB pressure can lead directly to turnovers, and that's one way I could see the Skins losing this game.

Let's take a stroll down recent-memory lane, shall we? I know it may pain some of you out there - including you, No. 8 - but the truth shall set us free.

Brunell suffered a hamstring injury early in the second half of his first trip to The Swamp in 2004, Game 2 of the Joe Gibbs Era Version 2.0. You probably remember that afternoon more for the seven-turnover debacle it was, but Sept. 19, 2004 also marked a turning point in Brunell's Skins career. That hamstring injury would essentially limit the veteran's effectiveness all season - the Giants registered four sacks that day - and by November Patrick Ramsey was the QB. Brunell was a backup for the second meeting with Gotham in '04.

Last year Washington was embarrassed in its trip to NJ, clobbered 36-0. Brunell was sacked 5 times for 40 yards (Umenyiora had 2), and the offense never had a moment where it seemed to be clicking. Game 2 was joyful for Redskins Nation - part of the 5 straight wins to make the playoffs - but there was a nasty consequence, too. Yeah, the Redskins had put the game away at the half, but Brunell took a hard shot to the knee, had to leave the game, and was not the same again in the regular season or playoffs.

Which brings us to Sunday.

The Redskins clearly have some momentum going. They have a chance to push ahead for position in the NFC East, with either Dallas or Philly assured of a loss or tie this weekend. Needless to say, keeping Brunell in mint condition is a must. No doubt the Giants will be looking to take his head off. I see the Skins continuing to target the outside of the defense and running right at Strahan and Umenyiora. Anything close to last week's performance in that regard should be more than enough.

-0-

Anyone else catch Emmitt Smith dissing the Skins on Dancing With the Stars? Was watching with the wife when he was asked for his inspiration for some kind of half-baked bull dance he was doing. The dude's eyes were all bugged out during his dance and when asked why he was so intense, the NFL's all-time leading rusher said he thought back to his games against the hates Redskins for inspiration. Not sure if he got booted off the show or not. When Lauren went upstairs I changed the channel to the baseball game.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 5, 2006; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roll Call
Next: CP = Napoleon Dynamite

Comments

I am overly excited for this game and cannot contain it. I can't wait for the first "meeting" between Mike Sellers and Lavar. I know they are friends, but during the game Sellers will protect Clinton, Ladell and Brunell with so much enthusiasm that I'm scared that a new universe might be created somewhere in the cosmos on their first meeting in the hole.

HAIL!!

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | October 5, 2006 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Good call on changing the channel...

I can see some Mike Sellers going right at our Gi-skin LBs with the ever crafty Clinton Portis "wheupping" (a la Berman) past the secondary and into the endzone. I'm really "psyched out of my mind" about this game. Hey, just a thought... let's get some pressure on emanning.olemiss.edu and win this game

PS- Grilliams has some nasty man boobs... someone should help him out with that

Posted by: Dorf | October 5, 2006 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I am excited to see the game - can't wait. And with a nor'easter acoming ... it should be hog heaven in the trenches for our bigs.

And thinking out loud, I would bet the coaches comments about Lavar recently is a tactic ... get Lavar worked up which will get him to overpursue, Portis finds another Portis Portal by cutting back, and we BREAK ANOTHER ONE OPEN!

Posted by: X.Hog | October 5, 2006 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Deadskin: Yeah that was me repping the glorious Tool. Best band on the planet right now, by far. Way better than Nickelback, Salival, Godsmack, etc. Saw 'em twice last week and their show at Verizon Center in DC was incredible. We were on the floor in the 7th row like 20 feet from Justin. The friggin' laser beams ruled.

On a related note, I remember a few years ago reading an article about how LaVar used to always workout listening to Tool. That's pretty cool.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | October 5, 2006 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Nice attack article this morning, Jason. Obviously the Redskins' secondary has got problems, but I'm not sure you could have been more negative than you were.

The bottom line is, they should never have exchanged Ryan Clark for Archuleta. Archuleta probably isn't worth the money they are paying, and Clark would have been much cheaper to re-sign.

Unless it's going to make you worlds better, why destroy that chemistry? Last season's secondary wasn't shredded wautomatically whenever Springs stepped off the field with a momentary injury. That's because Clark, Prioleau and the rest could pick up the slack. I can understand gettting rid of Walt Harris, to an extent - but so far, I don't see Wright as an upgrade.

Anyway, I think you could have eased the throttle back a bit. We know they are going to take time to jell -- at least, I hope that's the problem. We'll just have to wait and see. I think we can do that whitout whipping the more sensitive fans into a frenzy, right?

Posted by: jcabana | October 5, 2006 9:42 AM | Report abuse

i would also like to give props to megskin's last post yesterday. wow.

jlc, ok, point taken on the jetta. now i know why my mechanic always says the new vws are much more a headache than the classic generation.

also, how about portis' quotes re sellers in today's notebook. pretty funny how he describes folks turning and running.

Posted by: jd in vb | October 5, 2006 9:50 AM | Report abuse

JLC I just came from upstairs talking smack to the biggest Big Blue fan at the company. So we got to pull this out come Sunday. The Skins have something to prove after last year beat down here in the dirty. And we all know that LaVar is going to overpursue.One last note and that is G-Men secondary is very susupect. The have not done good against the run all year. I see big game out of CP, Randel El, and Llyod this weekend.

Posted by: jm220 | October 5, 2006 9:53 AM | Report abuse

JD you are 100% right. Megskin is off the chain. There maybe a blog crush happening here.(lol who said that)

Posted by: jm220 | October 5, 2006 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Rule #1 for the rest of the year: Protect Brunell at all costs. We can see what he can do when he is not pressured. If he does get dinged up though, we all know what's going to happen. Crossing my fingers on this one.

And ya, someone please tell Springs to stop talking trash before the game. We don't need to get the Giants pumped up for this game. Let them wallow in their misery until it's too late.

I'm not so concerned about Grilliams man boobs(why you staring at his boobies anyways?) as much as I am with the fact that he looks like an aged Ken doll with that hairdoo. Then again, as good as he is, I could care less what he looks like. He could go Buddy Ryan on us and it still wouldn't matter to me.

Posted by: Megskin | October 5, 2006 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Vivica Fox got the boot on Dancing With Has-Been Stars (I'm embarrassed to admit that I watched about 10 minutes of it before House).

The secondary will get it together. With our combined coaching genius that is Team Gibbs, I don't believe for a minute that they won't figure this out.

Always remember . . . and never doubt . . . (even in times of excruciating and painful frustration) . . . In Joe We Most Certainly Do Trust.

Can't wait for Sunday! Bring on the Little Giants!!

Posted by: Dana C. | October 5, 2006 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Who ISN'T better than Nickelback?

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | October 5, 2006 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Glad everyone enjoyed my post yesterday. My sordid life offered up for the amusements of others *sob* (just kidding).

Posted by: Megskin | October 5, 2006 10:16 AM | Report abuse

First, Megskin: unreal post yesterday. That was old school Edgar Allan Megskin right there. Mint.

Second, as our resident blogger pointed out earlier this week, the newer version of york football giants have been stout against the run this year (3.2 per carry I believe). We will try to run and hopefully can be effective enough to open up the passing game against their secondary which is in as much disarray (if not more) than ours. Total shabingus back there.

Third, I will submit that there are very few exits off of that occursed turnpike that are desirable for reasonable mortals. I believe 16W to be in a pantheon with Iraq, parts of Haiti, and eastern Russia for places I never want to for any reason.

Fourth, JLC brought up memory lane. I will take us further back with the following 3 videos. All safe for work. I would recommend rocking the sound if you can. I will admit to getting a little choked up a couple of times. Always remember why we do this. I will see all of you at the parade when it happens.

Out.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Its just he alwasy wears those tight fit polos and those guys are totally in your face. Don't turn on me Megskin... I've seen what you do to BOOFER and the gang of misfits. I fear you.

Yeah... but about Grilliams' comments about CP. If the guy needs a blow, do you question him? He gives it 100% and cares about winning and doing a great job. I don't know what Portis does when he's not on the field, but I've never seen him lolly-gag on the field. (let's mention again the amazing block on the Santana TD) If you don't have him ready and Betts goes there instead, can't you tweak the play calling and make an adjustment? If he's the offensive genius they're paying him to be, figure out what'll get the team in the endzone Portis or not.

Posted by: Dorf | October 5, 2006 10:19 AM | Report abuse

jcabana-

I'm not yet ready to hail Adam Archuleta as the next coming of Sean Taylor, but he's played solidly in the role we expected him to play. His coverage skills are questionable, though we had Shawn Springs when he was brought in. He does have a sack, and has recorded admirable pressure on the QB when our front four wasn't getting any push. He's done well against the run, though I'm still suspect of his open field tackling skills.

In spite of these concerns he is 2nd on the team in tackling and leads in solos. Ryan Clark is currently wrestling with Tyrone Carter for the starting position in Pitt. and I'm not ready to assume that he will keep it throughout the year.

Our problems in coverage have been the result of Shawn Springs injury and having to rely on Mike Rumph and Kenny Wright (both have improved). Ryan Clark would not necessarily have saved this defense.

Give Archuleta a chance.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | October 5, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Megs' artistic post
Makes H-man's heart a-flutter.
Will you marry me?

Posted by: HaikuMan | October 5, 2006 11:26 AM | Report abuse

WHAT IS THE LATEST ON SPRINGS? IS HE COMING BACK THIS SEASON AT ALL?

Posted by: tmac | October 5, 2006 11:26 AM | Report abuse

1) Megskins post yesterday was the tightness. Old School Edgar Allan Megskin style.
2) 16W is in the pantheon with Iraq, parts of Haiti, and Eastern Russia for places I never want to visit.
3) JLC pointed out earlier this week, the newer version of york football giants have actually been really good against the run (3.2 per carry I think) and it is their 2ndary that has been a shabingus. We need to run somewhat effectively to set up the passing game and by Great Odin's Raven we need to keep the old man upright.
4) JLC took us down memory lane. I will take us even further back. I recommend watching with sound if you can. Totally safe for work, especially if you work with skins fans.

BOOYAKASHOT (That is how I like to do it. I don't care what your internet.com says)

videos:

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else having trouble posting comments?

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 11:29 AM | Report abuse

4) I've been trying to throw some skins video links up here but it doesn't seem to be working. The vids are incredible.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Megskin, I think the LaVar diss has been quite intentional. Coach Lindsey and SSprings -- otherwise mum and friendly, respectively -- aren't garden variety trash talkers. I think the whole idea is to get LaVar boiling. Emotion clouds focus, even Smeogal knows this.
On a more serious note re: Megskin's home report, DC residents should notice that they are paying pennies per utility bill to upgrade the combined sewer system (which overflows to Megskin's floor within about an hour of the rain starting). Help move Megskin out of the squalor and support faster clean up of the Rock Creek, Potomac, and Anacostia!

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2006 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Dorf, I'm guessing you meant Saunders, not Grilliams.

I have to say that I thought Springs' comment was relatively straightforward, and not trash talking at all. Now Lindsey's comment, on the other hand, was a definite shot at Lavar.

Wes Mantooth speaks the truth.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | October 5, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I got to go to the Meadowlands for the December 5th, 2004 Skins/Giants game. We trounced them that day, 31-7. The Giants had more hatred for their own team than they did for the victorious Skins. It was great!

My favorite memory of the game (besides the final score) ocurred just as half time ended. The halftime show was a tribute to Broadway, culminating in the lead for Phantom of the Opera singing one of the songs from that show. As the Giants took the field, Jesse Palmer runs clear across the length of field to shake the hand of the Phantom, and then runs back down the field to rejoin his team.

Stupid Bachelor...

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | October 5, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Stop the Presses!!! Haikuman has given us the first proposal of the J-La blog!!!!!!! Well, Megskin? Jason could get one of those quickie internet ordinations and perform the ceremony.

Posted by: Jason's editor | October 5, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 11:49 AM | Report abuse

JLC and Cindy, does this blog promote bigamy!?!

Just wondering... I mean we do have Utah State's finest, Mr. Chris Cooley.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | October 5, 2006 11:50 AM | Report abuse

OK, looks like it is working now. Check out these vids with sound if you can. Almost brought tears to my eyes.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Yes, one at a time does work. Giddyup. Watch them with sound if you can. Just so joyous...

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Even though Haikuman is, no doubt, a great poet and a fellow abuser of the English language, I must respectfully decline; I am already spoken for and I'm pretty sure that covers eWeddings as well(or is that blogWeddings?).

Posted by: Megskin | October 5, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Well, darn, Megskin. Jason just got ordained, too. Can he do your real-world ceremony?

Posted by: Jason's editor | October 5, 2006 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Cindy you killer me here at work.lol

Posted by: jm220 | October 5, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

ArtMonkToTheSticks,

Why are you hating on Haiti? I lived there for a year and it ain't so bad. Aside from the places that the Haitians have absolutely destroyed the rest of the country is everything a tropical island should be. Oh yeah and the VooDoo while eerie is kinda fun too!

Posted by: Gibby | October 5, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Cindy you got me in tears here at work. You got to stop before the figure out it not work I am doing lol

Posted by: jm220 | October 5, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse

OK Gibby. VooDoo being fun. You need some help. (just joking with you lol)

Posted by: jm220 | October 5, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I think some of us are drinking a little too much Kool-aid. My JV High School Team could pass on our Defense.

Archuletta is the most expensive safety in the league. Anyone confusing him with ST, Ed Reed, Polomalu and Dawkins? One sack a season doesn't make.

We were a coin flip away from 1-3. We can be good, very good but that doesn't mean we are yet.

Posted by: Skinz | October 5, 2006 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Ack! What happened? I thought we were discussing the game versus those big weeble-wobbles up in NewYawk, not my personal life!

I suspect this is all a diversion to keep us from hounding JLaC(kinda getting like JLo now)about the Reaper switching back to #36.

Posted by: Megskin | October 5, 2006 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Mark "I Wanna Be Ordained" Maske just called from Gintsland, where we're taking the temperature of Team Turmoil. ... Open locker room is around 2. Stay tuned for developments. We'll see if LaVar, who has been pretty quiet all week, replies to Dale Lindsey's comments.

Posted by: Jason's editor | October 5, 2006 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Gibby: Those were the places I was talking about. The destroyed ones...
Meant no offense. The line from Caddyshack jumped into my head:

"I hear it's good luck..."

Chevy Chase - "In Haiti"

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

JLC, when did Brunell play in The Swamp? There is only one stadium named the Swamp and it aint in Jersey. Go a little further South to a city called Gainesville.

Run Clinton Run!!! In Portis we trust. Or in the case of the skins, In the 'canes we trust!!!! Portis, Moss, and Taylor are huge!! Without these 3, where would we be?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 5, 2006 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Right you are Bucktown... Saunders did indeed question Clinton Portis' "freedom" because he is in fact the offensive coordinator. If Greg Williams would have made those comments, our team would have more issues to deal with. Which gets me to thinking... I would love to visit a Cincy Bungles blog and see what they're talking about. A Superchargers blog may also be interesting. Well, we always have Sean Taylor. (#21 at the moment... are you scared Jason? Just pull out that #36 highlight reel on your laptop, show him the video and suggest he bring back the hurt that was #36.)

Posted by: Dorf | October 5, 2006 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Caught the last 30 seconds of Dancing with the Stars (I swear, that's all I watched). Emmitt (and, it appears, Jerry Springer!!!) are still on -- someone I did not recognize was voted off. Like Jerry Rice, I'm sure Emmitt's popularity with the voting public will keep him going deep into the show, whether he can dance or not.

Your mention of Emmitt and dancing brought back a memory. I remember the early days of the Funky Four at Fed-Ex (which used to be fun, but is getting real old at this point, particularly when the act is always cut short because of the obligatory Fed-ex ad). The Funky Four came out during a time out and were doing their dance, while the Cowboys were nearby in their huddle. Presumably Emmitt was supposed to be discussing the next play; instead, he had his back to his teammates and was completely preoccupied by the Funky Four. Unfortunately, that didn't help the Skins. Even though Emmitt was on the downside of his career, as always, he put up big numbers against the Skins. Glad he's now a dancer and not a Cowboys RB.

Posted by: Bethesda | October 5, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what number the Reaper is wearing as long as he keeps those bone crushing hits coming. I am also for him coming out with some t-shirts. lol

Posted by: jm220 | October 5, 2006 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Just an FYI, I hope you all realize that BOOFER is an extremely derogatory term and you keep saying it. Just wanted to throw that out there so you guys don't feel like idiots when you keep mentioning that guy's name.

Booyakashot.

Quick Zards note: I know media day is full of joy and goodwill and all. Yay Dad! But for the Zards to say they will compete for the East is like saying I'm going to compete in the 400X400 in Beijing in 2008. You can't just say things. The Zards got worse and everyone else got better...so how are we going to win the East again? Oh you mean after we regressed in the playoffs last year? WHAMMY!

Posted by: The Governor | October 5, 2006 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Well Voodoo is ok to entertain the kids, but the real fun is with Santaria! Although it apparently didn't help the White Socks, but that's a different story.

Key to the game is getting to the "other" Manning early, and letting him know that it is going to be a long and painful day at work. Stuff Tiki Torch Barber a few times and wipe that rediculous smirk off his face--hey this guy should be smacked around just for being a Fox News groupie--and give Jeremy Shockless more fodder to dump on his coach. Down by 21 at the half, Coughlin will be in the locker room calling that pasty-faced attorney for Mark Foley and asking if he could be there by the end of the game to handle the media while Coughlin checks himself into rehab.

Harsh, yes...but the Giants represent a threat to our freedom and democracy and we cannot let them win. Ours is a just and rightous cause and we will prevail. Amen?

And for the suggestion box: to honor the beloved former Redskins coach George Allen, who gave us the gift of that very special son of his (and to assuage the sentiment of hundreds of thousands of American Indians), how about changing the team name to the Washington Macacas? Dibs on the merchandising.

Posted by: LusinUpSandyBaby | October 5, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Bucktown Skins Fan:

When you went to the Meadowlands for the December 5, 2004 Skins-Giants game, did you bring a TV and watch the game in the parking lot? I ask because that game was played at FedEx Field.

Posted by: Terry | October 5, 2006 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, Terry! You made me all hot and flustered... with embarrassment my man, not... never mind.

My bad, wrong season. December 7, 2003 Washington at NYG (20-7). It was the game where Kerry Collins got knocked out with a knee injury and Palmer finished the game.

I hope I am redeemed in the eyes of my fellow posters.

In other news, JLC, any word about Thomas (hamstring) and Corn (hip) being listed as probable on the injury report? Are those normal everyday bumps and bruises, or should we be worried about either of them?

Gov, Andray Blatche could be huge this year. I'm excited for them. Maybe we can hit up the Les Wiz blog... oops. JLC, is that considered cheating on you? You know I love you, right? It wouldn't mean anything...

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | October 5, 2006 2:09 PM | Report abuse

On another note, will someone please explain to me what the heck is going on in "Lost"? I'm...lost.

Posted by: P Diddy | October 5, 2006 2:12 PM | Report abuse

PS -- Gov, my bad. I had no idea.

There are quite a few different deragatory definitions on urbandictionary.com, none of which I would feel are acceptable by any means... except for the one that says it simply means "fart." I'm alright with that one.

My apologies to anyone offended by my ignorance.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | October 5, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

From the desk of Mark Maske (2:00pm):

"Redskins at Giants
This one is a tossup, but the Giants absolutely have to have it and the Redskins don't.
Pick: Giants"

Posted by: Art Monk HOF 2007 | October 5, 2006 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Tip of the hat to Megskins for yesterday's post. And also a potential nickname for our esteemed host. JLaC. I like it, Megskins. And second it. Any other's?

current blog-created names:

Gardner, Rod
JLaC

Though, obviously, JLaC is much more endearing than Gardner, Rod.

Posted by: sting | October 5, 2006 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Hi all
Just wanted to comment on the Shawn Springs and Dale Lindsey"trash talk". I the case of Shawn Springs I think he was just joking but hey Shawn get in to rehab and get on the field. Now the case of Dale Lindsey that was a stab at LaVar. We all know the reason why LaVar wasn't on the field last year is because of Lindsey.
To tell yout the truth I loved hearing Linsey say it.
I've always been a big LaVar fan but is he's been taking shots at the Redskins since he's left. He's done it on ESPN, Fox and on Bob Costas show, I even saw a comment that he wouldn't want to play for Joe Gibbs on CBS Sportsline.
LaVar needs to put the blame on who it belongs, himself. I read today that Antonio Pierce said that over the off season LaVar was working hard everyday something he didn't see in his years in Wash. Your current teammate said this LaVar not a former teammate. Blame your agent for messing up your money and yourself for not working hard. One more thing when they going to get Holdman out and Rocky in? If we are going to come down on Archuleta's coverage skills, then we need to bring up Holdman. You would think he was playing tag as much as he is behind the receiver.

Posted by: Don Redskin | October 5, 2006 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Other blog names:

Grilliams
The Reaper

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 5, 2006 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Bucktown, not offending me, just making sure everyone knew. Booyakashot (in a whisper voice).

Posted by: The Governor | October 5, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Just remember 36-0 last year, We were humbled, Time to return the favor..

Posted by: DKskinsfan | October 5, 2006 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Bucktown Skins Fan:

No worries. You're a Skins fan...consider yourself redeemed.

Posted by: Terry | October 5, 2006 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Spoken for" implies
A desire to converse.
H-Man needs no words.

Posted by: HaikuMan | October 5, 2006 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess not, you seem to do well with a paucity of words.

Posted by: Megskin | October 5, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse