Ex-Skins Report (A Necessary Distraction From The Sunday That Was)

While Walt Harris was getting all the bloggy glory - who could ignore a three-pick game? - and our guy Nick Novak was being brought back into the fold for at least one day, we missed perhaps the greatest accomplishment of note over the weekend:

Gardner, Rod (aka Fity-Fity, aka Park My (Stuff)) is back in the league, baby. Just check the stats page of NFL.com if you don't believe me. He's blowing up. Back and better than ever. Put up two catches in that huge Chefs victory over the Bidwells. Okay, so they went for a total of 17 yards, but still. Clearly G, R finally has a grasp on that playbook and he's ready to make an impact.

Chronicling him is a healthy diversion from the tension and paranoia that seems to be gripping Redskins Nation, no?

Alas, all is not well for the former Skinnies, however. Taylor Jacobs still has yet to crack that vaunted San Fran. receiving corps. He carries the goose egg - shutout for the season. Wonder if his days are numbered out there?

And yet another former Skins receiver is unhappy, again. Laveranues Coles, despite being like the most throwed-to receiver in the league, got a little testy (or shall we say, noisewater-y?) over not featuring much in the J-E-T-S's 41-0 loss to the Jags Sunday I know what I'd to if I owned that team: Threaten to burry him on the bench and buy him a plasma TV. That'll get his attention.

Randoms: Not good times for Mike Peterson since he took on his homeboy, Dolomite Jenkins, in print. Jags got run on pretty good by Portis in their 36-30 loss at The House That The Squire Built And The Danny Expanded, then Peterson tears his pectoral muscle last Sunday and is out for the year. Call it the curse of Southeast Jerome ... Not to look past the Titans or anything - lord knows you've got to play them one game at a time up here - but I think the Colts are frauds. No way that team should be undefeated. They've looked the same all season as they did in that opener against the Giants: Can't run the ball with any authority, and can't stop anyone from running it down their throats. Maybe their soft D-line gets healthy in the bye week, and they get going. In their last four games the team that was stolen from Baltimore in Mayflower moving trucks hasn't exactly been facing the '85 Bears - Houston, Jax, Jets and Titans - and they were very lucky to win three of those games. The colts are averaging 3.8 yards per rush and allowing 5.2 yards per carry. I'm no Vincent Lombardi, but I'm pretty sure that's a recipe for disaster come December and January folks, even if they do get nothing but home playoff games in that artificial dome ...

Wanna know how the media schlubs knew immediately that Hall was all but here done during that press conference yesterday? Coach Joe never mentioned the fans should say a prayer for Hall and the team when describing his injuries yesterday. That's a telltale sign that the decision had already been made, and new quads were being brought to town ... Cooley finally watched "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" last week and loved it. Now I've just got to get him to sign it and I promise I'll mail it out ASAP ... Do you think Joe Torre knows anything about how to beef up the Redskins' Cover-2? He's an experienced skipper who makes a huge salary and has a proven track record. Maybe I should call his agent just in case. Seems like he fits the profile. Who knows, maybe he'll be up there in the owner's suite Sunday afternoon.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 10, 2006; 12:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nicky's in Town
Next: Guess Who's Back, Back Again

Comments

Are we the team with the most Ex-Players playing with other teams now?

Posted by: A Dog | October 10, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse

JMan, will the kicking tryouts be closed to you media types? Do you think Gibbs and Co wish they could turn back time on making Rogers their first pick? Hard to imagine without going back to availability at the time of that pick that there wasn't a U guy or Seminole to pick. I think were overinfatuated with the Tigers. Who knows?

Was thinking back to that Monday night when the Danny accosted you and Wilbon. It real makes me laugh.

Go Nick!!!

Late

Posted by: coolio | October 10, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse

J-La, couldn't agree more about the Colts ... the question is how gets to beat them first. [I'm just really relieved we don't play Chicago, New England, Cinci, or B-more in the regular season schedule.] On the more serious side, I did notice that the Titans came the closest they have all season and against the Colts! I'm glad we get Vince Young early in his starting season. He seems more interested in running for yards than the sliding that QBs usually do. He looks like trouble on the option passes ...

Posted by: dcsween | October 10, 2006 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all.I am very impress with TJ not making a big thing about his playing time. JL do you think there will be a change this week at lb?

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 11:02 AM | Report abuse

A Dog I don't know about the most players on other teams but I think we have the most productive EX players on other teams :-)

Posted by: Franky Four Fingers | October 10, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

hey there. We won't get to see a thing witht the kickers other than when they arrive at the front door and leave the same way. Very much closed door.
I don't see any change at LB happening this week, but I can't entirely rule it out, either. My guess would be if thay make that move it's during the bye week.

Hey coolio, I wouldn't say The Snyder accosted us. He and Wilbon were actually joking around a lot. I was just waiting for it to end to resume my conversation with Mike when the owner started talking to me.
I thought it was all pretty funny.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | October 10, 2006 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I wish we had Walt Harris as a back up DB because Rumph ain't gettin it done.

Posted by: Never thought I'd say this | October 10, 2006 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I was too sad to post at all yesterday. I am still saddened. 2nd year in a row we have been awful up there. JLC, is something different about the accomodations up there or something? So distressing.

I said earlier that the Redskins' horrible personnel decisions are now coming back to bite them and I still believe this. Would you guys rather have Demarcus Ware and Walt Harris at corner or Andre Carter and Rogers?

Can we just say goodbye to John Hall forever? Every year we have to deal with the 'he won't do kickoffs', 'his leg is a bit sore' and blah blah blah. Dudes and Megskin, the guy is a kicker. He is supposed to kick. Its like a typist who 'hunts and pecks'. Terrible. Kick the ball bruh. Just kick it where it is supposed to go. You do it 8 times per game. Any chance we go get Todd Saurbrun to punt and tell D Frost: 'the inconsistency is really cool and all but could you just leave your playbook in the coach's office on your way out the door? Thanks'.

I still love you all.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 10, 2006 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm just glad I had a 13 hour workday yesterday so I didn't have to sit at my computer and be depressed with the rest of you. I can say I was not surprised at all how we played Sunday, it was typical of recent memory, play great one week then be totally flat the next. The run at the end of last year was the only exception, and I guess that was because every one of those games was a "must win". Maybe we should just forefeit the first 6 games of the season and then get down to business.....

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | October 10, 2006 11:31 AM | Report abuse

ArtMonk hand in there bra.You could have G fans at your desk all day like me. So be thankful that you are not in the Jerz. Did you guys see the punter from Denver that being cut? JL do you think we will be him in? Damn how sad is it that we are talking about kickers? Hey Cindy great post yesterday.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Gardner, Rod is a MUST for all fantasy owners. The guy has real upside. Ha

Posted by: Kwik1 | October 10, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I was too sad to post at all yesterday

You, Boofer and HaikuMan, what's going on here? Well, HaikuMan put in all of one appearance and X.Hog is still passed out somewhere in lower Georgetown or someplace. Pathetic. Get your rears back in here.

Posted by: Megskin | October 10, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News - The Beat Reporter from 980 (Jerry Something) reported that Shawn Springs should be taking some reps in practice this week. And if everything goes well, he might be involved in some packages.

I think they are warming him up fso he can play against the Colts.

Posted by: A Dog | October 10, 2006 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else think this whole John Hall thing is a major scam?? Gibbs is so ridiculously loyal to a fault, now that he realizes Hall must go, he doesn't want to humiliate him in public, so they say he's got a couple different injuries, they'll put him on IR then work out a settlement and release him. Just a thought...

Posted by: Steven | October 10, 2006 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Sticks,

Thank goodness you and Gov posted. I was beginning to assume the worst. I checked the news for Jumpers at the new Woodrow Wilson. I'm relieved to see you two made it.

Posted by: Skinz | October 10, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Dcsween, I hope you are right, I really do. Vince young isnt afraid to run the ball,and do so effectively. I just hope this Sun isnt his coming out party. If it is, oh lord we are in a heap of trouble. I can see it now, Williams calls an all out blitz, we get no penetration, and he races down the sideline for an 80 yard run, stiffing arming Archuleta for the last 10 yards to get the score.

Please let us be 3-4 heading into the bye week. Please!!! I know most of you might be hoping for 4-3, but realistically with our corners and us heading to Indy, that isnt likely to happen.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 10, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Steven - I commented on that yesterday when I refered to this as a Gibbs Coverup.

I don't ridicule him for that though. It just shows the level integrity he feels he owes to certain people. I might not necessarily get it all the time, though.

Posted by: A Dog | October 10, 2006 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Hot Off the press,

The Dan, know for his love of old players past their prime has decided to bring in Donald Igwebuike to try kicking for the skins. When asked about his age, The Dan replied. Age?? I just love his name, plus he will sign for 5 mil a year. He is an outstanding athlete and is sure to fill the stands.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 10, 2006 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Steven, no gambler here but I'd bet that's exactly what is happening.

China Springs will reportedly practice on Wed, A Dog, so as reported in most places.
What that means, who knows. A groin injury for a DB is tough to assess, but I don't see him back.

I'm not ready to give up on Frosty, unless he was truly losing games for us. A punter not working out in the Mile High tells me he can't punt. What do I know, I count widgets.

If I'm Grilliams (same age actually), I'm dissecting all tape for the Colts this season, particularly last Sunday. I'd also look back to the game they had last year with the Chargers. Lights Out had a breakout game, and the week after( maybe the Broncos), replicated their schemes and did well also.

Posted by: coofio | October 10, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey there again.
The Shawn Springs stuff was reported yesterday. Not even supposed to be a full practice Wed., though - just individual work - so I would be pretty stunned to see him on the field Sunday. Indy looks like a safe bet.
As for punters, they seem to be okay withg Frost as long as he doesn't have to kick off.
You kind of have to handle one kicking disaster at a time, eh?

ArtMonk - funny you mention accomodations at The Swamp. They switched hotels after the 36-0 game and stayed at one in the burbs somewhere this time, not as close to Giants Stadium. But that didn't seem to work out too well for them, either.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | October 10, 2006 12:04 PM | Report abuse

TRASH TALK BEGINS ON THUR.I STILL HAVE A FEW TISSUES LEFT IN MY BOOHOO BOX,WHEN THEY ARE GONE WE CAN FOCUS ON TWO WINNABLE GAMES.TEXANS AND TITANS,LOSING ON LAST PLAY OF GAME IS HARDER TO DEAL WITH THEN LOSING BY END OF 1ST QUARTER...PEACE OUT

Posted by: BOOFER | October 10, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

coofio there punter is returning from a 4 game suspension. Springs coming back against the Colts looks like the safe bet. Did anyone hear the Riggins show last night? He talked about Brunell going back and forth with one good game and two bad games. He stated that Campbell should start playing.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason,
Don't forget about former d-back Ryan Clark, now with Pittsuburgh. He was all over the field on Sunday night. He was smakcing people, and flying to the ball. Almost had an interception, too.

Makes me wonder why we signed Archuleta, who can't seem to cover himself, let alone anyone on the opposing team.

Posted by: Thom | October 10, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

jm220, Here is what Mark Maske said in todays article about Vince Young.

"The way of the NFL is that a prized young quarterback learns only by doing, by making his inevitable mistakes and figuring out how to avoid them the next time around. The school of hard knocks is the only way to go"

When you essentially spend 2 first round picks to pick up a quarterback, I believe that would put them into the "prized young quarterback" catagory. Dont let Maske show this to Gibbs. His philosophy on quarterbacks is they should sit on the sideline for 3 years and learn on paper and the practice field before getting into the game.

It is sad for me lately, I almost hope to lose the next 2 games and wish for brunell to perform poorly. So that after the bye week we see Campbell get into the game. Or at least be the Number 2. If he is our "future" why not put him at #2 and if the game gets out of hand, god forbid, then put him and see what he can do.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 10, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Art Monk. Personnel decisions are coming back to bite us big time. Can we redo the Rogers pick. Take Merriman, Ware, Spears fill in DE of your choice here and then take Dominique Foxworth CB in the 3rd or 4th round oh wait I don't think we had that pick because we already gave those picks to Denver.

I'm sorry just cause Walt Harris had 3 picks doesn't make me want him. I'd rather have Toast Ade Jimoh than Harris. Ok maybe not. There were plenty of decent CB's we could have overpaid in free agency.

I definetly want Ryan Clark back for sure.

Posted by: calebt17 | October 10, 2006 12:18 PM | Report abuse

JLa,

Was Washington sick for the Giants game? He took a couple plays off which is unlike him and I thought I saw him vomit in one quick shot. Plus I love the guy and seeing him get bowled over hurt. Maybe i'm looking for excuses but I thought i saw him spitting up.

Posted by: Skinz | October 10, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

JLC - Are the 'Skins interested in Ahmad Carroll? We need some DB help and he's still young enough to mold. Of course, so is Rumph and you see how that's working out...

Posted by: Nobody Important | October 10, 2006 12:36 PM | Report abuse

gatorskinz200 that's right on point. And we all know Brunell is not going to be around next season. And we will see more of the games like the Giants games from him than anything else. I love coach Joe being loyal but this is hurting the team. And Al has to be piss knowing he has the talent at wr but the starting QB cannot get it done.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

gatorskinz2000.

You must be crazy...to wish the next two games to be losses just so Gibbs might make a change....that's simply crazy...and he probably would not do it anyway...

Posted by: Lisa | October 10, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I think Dolomite Jenkins found SE Jerome. Or at least they ended up dead in the same back alley. How is Clinton Portis' shoulder?

and what is with the telegraphed blitzes on third down. Why in the world do they show their hand before the ball is snapped. It gives the blocking RB an easy decision on where the pressure is coming from.

Posted by: Dorf | October 10, 2006 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Lisa you have to get real with yourself. Brunell is not going to get it done. How many times does he have to show us that? You can even go back to last year. What game has he really won for us? Not talking about him passes 5 yards and the playmakers doing the rest. But real plays 30-40 yards down the field. Other than the Dallas game. None! Campbell can pass 5 yards and well as 50-60 yards which will make it easier for CP.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

Trust me I know, crazy runs in the family. But in what other situation will this happen? I dont want any more losses period. Its really just frustration talking at this point. I'm sure we all feel it. You are very right, when you say it wont happen anyway. Sometimes loyalty can be a fault.

Realistically though, do you really believe we can go to Indy and have our DB's fare well agaist Peyton Manning? I think it is very possible for Portis to have a huge game. But I think the same for Manning. We better beat Tennessee!!!

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 10, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I can't even spell my fictitious name (coofio, I'm a goof).
First, JMan, should of read down on the previous blog before applying foot-to-mouth. I recall the Danny discussion, but from here on out, while "The Snyder" is all good, I like "Little Man" myself. Has a hint of respect, yet still not. I digress.

Skinz, thought my koolaid was going bad on me, but I saw the same thing-- clear, no chunks.

Thom, I love RC, but he was having tackle issues as the game wore on. LT can do that to a guy. Does he look bigger to you guysand gals? I think he's hit the gym, because outside of pads, he was a slight dude, particularly for a safety.

BOOFER, I'm waitin' for Parcells to drop on the sideline. How many games do you need to lose at the very end for you to rethink gardening may be better in retirement? Stil a very good D, even though we saw #31 chasin' a TD.

Late.

Posted by: coolio | October 10, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

H-Man swamped at work.
Is Megs' callout sign of love?
Will post more later!

Posted by: HaikuMan | October 10, 2006 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Phew, Boofer is back. Thought we were done for.

Posted by: Megskin | October 10, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

And HaikuMan, yay! Everything is right again; except we lost. Wah!

Posted by: Megskin | October 10, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Well, Brunell can't seem to figure out if he belongs in the NFL or if he belongs in the hall of fame. Reviewing the Houston and Jacksonville games I would say he belongs in the hall of fame. Just looking at NY, Dallas, and Minnesota, he probably doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Can somebody help me figure this out. I would still like to know what Campbell is capable of in a real NFL game, but I guess I'll have to wait until Brunell gets hurt, or until next season. Gibbs is sticking with Brunell, and praying for a good week. We all see what Rex Grossman is doing in Chicago when given a chance. Why not see if Campbell is capable of putting up Grossman type numbers. Aside from two games, Brunell certainly isn't capable of it. And imagine what Grossman's stats would be like with the WR's and O-line and running game we have!! The thought of it is scary. Nobody thought Grossman would be that good, and nobody thought Tom Brady would be that good, but they played them anyway. Nobody thinks Campbell is that good, but maybe we have a diamond in the rough. Give the kid a chance to shine, before he's over the hill.

Posted by: Max | October 10, 2006 1:09 PM | Report abuse

A bunch of good points made. Gatorskinz: I understand how you feel. I was hoping for Brunnel to get injured instead of Skins losing--more surefire way to get him out. I think that the Skins higher-ups are still delusionally think they have legitimate playoff chances and for that reason won't put in Campbell (by the way, what's up with Collins being the #2 backup??? Just 'cause he's Saunders's boy?)
I'm not saying that Campbell is going to win us more games than Brunnel in the short term, but if he is supposedly our future QB (remember when Gibbs still said that about Ramsey?) why don't we start getting him playing time and experience?

Dorf: great point about telegraphing blitzes. There was one play that particularly stands out in my mind where Wright or Rumph (pretty sure it was Wright) was coming on a blitz and he telegraphed it the whole way. Of course the back picked it up no problem and we got burnt for a long pass on that play.

Lastly, the personnel decisions are key. By the end of last season, our defensive unit was absolutely shutting down any offense, inflicting major pain. It wasn't because they had a bunch of big stars or pro-bowlers, but they had great chemistry and played well together. They also played with a lot of guts and ferocity. Clark and Harris stuck people. Remember the last game against Philly? By the end of last year you never saw missed tackles. Never.
Maybe that same chemistry will come together eventually this year, but I doubt it. Anyway, the big question is, if you have that chemistry and it's working, WHY CHANGE IT??? If it aint broke, don't fix it (and now it IS seriously broke)!

Posted by: jakeweed | October 10, 2006 1:09 PM | Report abuse

>>> "They switched hotels after the 36-0 game and stayed at one in the burbs somewhere"

Well, they did go from scoring nothing to getting 3 points.

Maybe next year they should try staying with me at W Union Square. I hear "Mr." Snyder used to go ga-ga for Olive's in DC. I'd be happy to buy him dinner at the one in the W.

Speaking of hotels and traveling. I have a matter of great import to bring to the group. I am in desperate need of bar recommendations. The WashPo's nightlife section is amazingly pathetic. It could be that DC is a pretty pathetic nightlife town (wouldn't doubt it), but there have to be decent recommendations for quiet lounges for me to belly up to the bar and drink great tequila and awesome champagne all night.

And before you ask...yes, those are my poisons of choice.

Posted by: P Diddy | October 10, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Some bright signs. I like the depth we are building on the D-line. Golston and Montgomery look like they are going to be strong NFL players on the D-line. I hope our young O-line guys are developing well too. They've had a few years to learn and develop so they should be ready when their names are called. Quick question, do our DE's know that occassionally when the outside speed rush and the bull rush aren't working, they might want to try something else, like a swim move, or a spin move. Does greg williams allow his DE's to swim our spin on a pass rush, because I don't recall those moves ever being used by those guys.

Posted by: Max | October 10, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse

WTF WAS that Last night

Posted by: BIG J | October 10, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody see how bad Archuletta got burned on the screen pass. He must have thought holy crap I've finally got a free shot at the QB only to turn around and see Tiki running down the field right from where he blitzed from.

Posted by: Max | October 10, 2006 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Max,

To answer your question, Brunell doesnt belong in the Hall of Fame. As far as the Houston game, well its Houston. By his record for most completions there should be an asterisk stating that he only completed one pass for over 20 yards. The other 21 were screens and dump offs. When you have Q-back play that is that inconsistant, there is no Hall in the future. I also wouldnt go so far to say he is Jeff George by any means. If the game plan is screens and dump offs, Campbell can do that, heck Todd Collins can do that.

I'd rather Brunell to be able to go 5 for 7 with 3 passes over 20 yards. Our defense isnt looking good, but if the offense cant stay on the field, the defense never rests. I dont care how good your defense is, if they play 75% of the game they will eventually break down.

I am wondering what promises they gave to todd collins. Did they promise him the starting job next year? I hope not. There is a reason he wasnt playing when he was in K.C. i hope he doesnt follow the Redskins motto "One mans trash is another mans treasure"

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 10, 2006 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Viewing the first 5 games of the season (and even that last 2 or 3 games), at the most I would consider this team inconsistent. I don't think Brunell is the culprit. The QB is the easy target and will always take the blame but did everyone see the same game on Sunday. The defense was just awful. Front 7 and secondary (period).

Brunell never had a chance while standing on the sideline. I'm sorry I just don't blame this loss on the offense. Maybe a little on Special Teams (missed FG and missed blocks during kickoffs) and DEFENSE.

Remembering the last few games in '05 the skins were hammered in the secondary by Phili, Tampa and Seattle. We made 2 or 3 big plays on defense in Phili and Tampa, of which we trailed in the second half, and pulled out a win. We didn't get that in Seattle and we haven't gotten that too much in the 3 losses. As Gibbs alluded to, he was looking for a big play in NY by the offense, defense or special teams, and it just did not happen. This is just an average team right now and that problem does not lie on the shoulders of the QB but moreso the decisiont Gibbs and the front office made and now they have to live with them!

Posted by: ceelo | October 10, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

If we plan to beat anybody in the NFC east we are going to have to pressure the quarterback. The NFC east is full of smart, experienced, accurate QB's - but it has been shown over and over that they will lose games when they are pressured. It's up to our D-line to protect our secondary. If they can't get pressure on the QB our secondary becomes exposed. The D-line holds the key to protecting our weak secondary and that is pressuring the QB. It's time for Daniels and Carter to step up their games.

Posted by: NFC East | October 10, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Ceelo since this is an average team. Why not put in your future? I don't totally blame D. Yes they are bad, however they did hold the G-Men to 19 points.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

What shocked me the most against the Giants was our inability to take advantage of THEIR very weak secondary. If anybody has a secondary weaker than ours it's the Giants. But the Giants demonstrated how getting pressure from the defensive ends (umi, and strahan) can cover up for the weakness of the secondary. You mean to tell me we couldn't go deep on sam madison, corey webster or RW Mcquarters. We could have gone deep on them all day just like they did to us. We just didn't get it done.

Posted by: Max | October 10, 2006 1:34 PM | Report abuse

And I for one am not going to get fooled this weekend by Brunell. He have a good game against an bad Titians team. Then next week against the Colts look old again. Then you all will be still giving excuses for him. Just stop the pain now with the old guy. If we must go through pain let's do it with the future guy. Then we can at least say it is growing pain.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

guys, what's with brunell bashing again? it wasn't brunell. it was the defense. if it wasn't for brunell we would've lost to the jags.

gibbs kept saying after the game "there was no spark"...well sometimes you have to create a spark like going for it on 4th and 1 in the second quarter or in the 4th quarter when you're down by 13.

and why o why did they elect to pass on 3rd and short both times?

sorry. for bringing up sunday again.

but if there're going to be rules then you can't as a skins fan hope/wish/pray to lose games just so coach can make a qb change. time isn't on our side. gibbs is 66. he's already given up most of his duties. who knows how long he can last doing what he's doing now. if he was going to make a change it would've been the 3rd game of the season...when he was the worst player along with the o-line...

please please please danny, joe, double G, if you're listening please please please don't bring back springs before the bye week. let him heal. we need him healthy for the second half the season.

Posted by: dealer | October 10, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't Rocky starting? Dude is a player.

Posted by: CMoney | October 10, 2006 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Ceelo,

The D was horrible. They played worse than the O but their result was better. 19 points against the 2nd ranked O in the NFL away is a decent result.

3 points by our O is pathetic. The whole Brunell sat on the sidelines thing doesn't work for me. The D would probably tell you that if the O stayed on the field longer the wouldn't have been exhausted and could have stopped them.

The D's inability to stop them hindered the O but the relationship is symbiotic.

Posted by: Skinz | October 10, 2006 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Is like an old man who is starting to show signs of alzheimers. Some days his mind is clicking and he seems great, other days he forgets his own name and where he's from. At Brunell's age he should be standing next to Joe Gibbs on the sideline coaching, not running from 260 lb. Defensive Ends and linebackers that can run 4.4 fortys. Leave that stuff to the young bucks. I'm just saying we need to give Campbell a chance. Just give the kid a chance before he gets to be Todd Collins age and has never started an NFL game.

Posted by: Max | October 10, 2006 1:41 PM | Report abuse

It's not Brunell! He had 45 yards the first half! 109 for the game! Strahann said to the reports that we knew if we stop Portis we would win. Why? They know Bruenell cannot get it done. And it was Moss and CP man up blocking that won the Jags game.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Time of posession was in our favor at half time if I remember correctly, I think we held the ball 20 minutes in the first half. We just couldn't score.

Posted by: Max | October 10, 2006 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ohmygod everyone. Let it go! Get over it already!

Yes, we were PATHETIC. But...we lost in the Meadowlands. As everyone and their grandmother has pointed out we almost never win there.

Start obesessing about a loss if we lose next week. Not a loss to the Giants in NY.

Posted by: Megskin | October 10, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I think the problem arises with the game planning for Brunell. Saunders sticks to the dink and dunk passes and run game because he knows what his QB is capable of. Unfortunately, when we play a team with a weak secondary like the Giants, we don't have the luxury to open up our deep passing game like the Giants did with Eli. Brunell just doesn't have more than 2-3 deep throws per game left in his arm.

Posted by: Max | October 10, 2006 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Megskins, you know we all love you. But we all know what's going to happened next week. Afterwards I hope everyone sees the light and come over the the Campbell side.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Remember Saunders said he was going to get Cooley on deep seam routes and post patterns. Where has that been. I think he had to remove those plays from his book because Brunell can't hit him down field.

Posted by: Max | October 10, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, gives us your imput. You cannot really believe we are going to see Brunell have a good year.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

jm220: I have been screaming for JC all year. I already said that Brunell is a half a season QB. But, Gibbs isn't going to make a change no matter what after that third game, and definately not after the fourth.

Get used to seeing Brunell. It's like joining the dark side of the force. It just looks bad from the other side.

Posted by: Megskin | October 10, 2006 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The skins did throw the ball deep and didn't connect. The Giants' secondary may not be very good, but they played very well last sunday--as did their whole team. Sometimes the other team plays very well and your team loses. You don't switch QBs and fire the coach every time you lose. If you have ever seen Brunell play in person, you know he can air it out. This team is built to win this year, not in the future. And I think Joe Gibbs knows better than anyone posting on this blog who the qb should be. I think he has earned the benefit of the doubt, what with his 3 rings and all. We are 2-3, looking at a good chance of being 3-3. Everyone wants to win every game, but that's not the reality of the nfl. We just need to hang tough and maybe reel off a couple in a row late in the season and we'll be set for a run. The season is far, far from over.

Posted by: WrongDog | October 10, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Dudes and Megskin, The new york football giants did what teams will do against us for the rest of the year: play 2 deep and force us to execute short-intermediate to sustain drives. Some weeks, this will not happen...at all (like this week).

I am upset with Grilliams right now. This is what happens when you let coaches pick players. I can't talk about it right now. It is still to near. I'm not reading anything about the Redskins for the rest of the day. It is not you, it's me. It's something ArtMonkToTheSticks is going through.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | October 10, 2006 2:12 PM | Report abuse

We can not talk about that Meadowlands game any more. It's Tuesday. All that yapping was just after the game, just like all that Arrington stuff was before the game.

We need to look forard and figure out when Joe will let go of Brunell. He would be an awsomw back-up.

Diddy - Try any of the Upscale Hotels Downtown - They have some lovely bars to do your thing at. Or Old Ebbits Grill......

Posted by: A Dog | October 10, 2006 2:12 PM | Report abuse

OK, quick shot. Brunell: Please, please, please ignore your inner Vickness and try not to run out of the pocket. Staying in the pocket will allow you to properly throw the football, and get the little piggiepoof into the hands of your receivers BEFORE a defensive back or gravity catches up with your throws. Pocket, pocket, pocket. Got it? Gooood.

Anyway, a coworker and I were talking about the Colts just this morning. It's remarkable just how close to the level of their opponents they're playing at, this season. Games have been close, regardless of who they're playing, and the only people that would be happy are the network showing the games with full attention through the game. Perhaps the Reality Beast is finally catching up to the Hype Machine?

As to the Skins D-line, I keep wanting to tell myself that the reason we haven't seen too much stunting to the outside by the ends is due to an effort to prevent the DEs from overrunning the pocket while getting stuffed in the middle, leaving us wide open for the draw or scramble. The reality is probably different (i.e. we really don't have any push, and we can't rely on our safeties and secondary enough to get in a corner blitz), but that's just par for the course.

Posted by: FlimFlam | October 10, 2006 2:18 PM | Report abuse

i had steak pizza from vie de france for lunch. good 'nuff.

hey LaC, it's 2:20 pm...any word on who the next kicker gonna be. nick was suppose to go at 1? how he do?

Posted by: dealer | October 10, 2006 2:21 PM | Report abuse

hard to make a big play on offense or defense when you dont attack and be aggressive...i dont blame brunnel or any individuals for the loss...i blame the coaching...we must blitz on D and we must throw the ball virtically on teams with weak secondarys and tight front 7s...

its obvious when a team is one of the best running defenses and worst passing defenses that there is an opportunity there...the fact that the game plan couldnt get our play makers the ball in open space is just poor strategy...

also did anyone notice brunnel trying to huddle the offense at one point and signaling to the sideline to shut the hell up...like they were talking too much in the head set...i just get the impression that there are too many cooks in the kitchen on the play calling and game planning...

passing on 3rd and 1 wasnt a bad decision...the bad decison was throwing the ball into triple coverage to cooley when sellers was wide open in the flat for the first down...same play he scored 7 TDs on last year...and same play they shoulda called when they were down there in the first quarter and same play they shoulda called when they were down there in game 1...

certainly brunnel is limited in his upside but he has proven that if he is healty and the team gives him a little time and options and throw in a running game he can very successful...but strategy has to create the situations he can be successful in...he obviously isnt going to do it himself anymore like he used to down south...

he certainly missed on a few plays but i dont blame him...i blame coaching and overall team effort...

yes washington was definitely spewing after that one tackle...

Posted by: deadskin | October 10, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

No more talk about Gmen? Ok.

JLa,

Any other terms released on the Duckett trade? Someone said we did that to prevent Philly from picking him up. True?

Also, terms of the contract. If we get a top 5 pick would we have to switch with them? Any more details on that?

Posted by: Skinz | October 10, 2006 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the kicker?

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 2:35 PM | Report abuse

im sorry...maybe i need to watch the game again...not sure i could handle that though...but my memory reflects only one truly deep ball...on one of our last drives...when we were down by 16...and the defense was playing not to give up the big play...at it was 3rd and like 13...we really only needed a first down...but we threw long down the left side to lloyd who, though was only in single coverage, was well covered...that would have been a good play in the first half...and should have been done multiple times to multiple targets...

i do remember a long over the middle pass to cooley that worked...just dont understand why we werent trying to hit the 15-25 yard pass over the middle...all our plays went to the sideline and ran our receivers out of bounds with the ball...

they need to get the ball in space (not running out of bounds) so they can make plays regardless of whether is 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage or 5 or 10 or 15 or more yards in front of the line...what about Jerry Rice special...the 7 yard over the middle play that he always took to the house...thats the kinds of sheot we should be doing...the fact that we couldnt get our weapons the ball behind their front 7 on that secondary is pathetic...its poor strategy...teams dont have any problems doing it on us and in most cases those teams defenses arent much different from ours...

Posted by: deadskin | October 10, 2006 2:36 PM | Report abuse

OK, everyone I got to rock. I heading to the wake of a 23 year old Marine who lost his life 5 days before his return home. Let's just all remember it is just a game.

Posted by: jm220 | October 10, 2006 2:45 PM | Report abuse

laC, posted a new post...looks like we got our niky back. go terps!

Posted by: dealer | October 10, 2006 2:52 PM | Report abuse

News on a kicker prob will take time. From what I heard they are bringing in at least 4.

Posted by: A Dog | October 10, 2006 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg (DC Sports Bog) reporting that Novak won the job. Also reporting that Sean Landeta (punter) was working out with the team. Surprised Jason isn't the one that is breaking this one given that (a) he apparently has a love affair with Novak and (b) he supposedly works from Redskins Park.

(just messin' with you jason).

Or is this a case a broken blog again...

Posted by: skinsfan76 | October 10, 2006 3:47 PM | Report abuse

bored at work ... and a long depressing week with a loss. *sigh* ... You gotta think, though, that with our tuff schedule thus far we are where we should be at 2 - 3. Winning NFC E games away is nearly impossible so, other than the disappointing home loss to Vikings, we are still alive and need to win all our home games to stay competitive. If we stay healthy into December, anything can happen.

Posted by: X.Hog | October 10, 2006 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Let me be the first one to say it:

Nick Novak will go to many, many pro bowls as the kicker of the Washington Redskins and, eventually, will go to the Hall of Fame as one of the greatest kickers in NFL history.

You heard it here first.

Posted by: Barno | October 10, 2006 4:10 PM | Report abuse

P Diddy

Try 'Tracks' in SE DC on Saturday night. You will love it - trust me.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2006 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone up for a Gardner vs Brandon Lloyd pool?

Posted by: palopaleo | October 10, 2006 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey there.
Marcus did indeed lose his lunch during that 15-play drive. The whole defense was spent and they were wavering big time.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | October 10, 2006 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Defense stunk this one up . . .better figure out how to pressure the QB before the iggles are on deck, they may not have a running back and could pass on 80% of downs. . .then again, after the last few weeks that seems like a pretty good gameplan to me . . .I'll take Brunell and an improved defense over the alternative. . .btw t sauerbrun was released because he embarassed the mastermind (mr shanny) not because he couldn't punt, not sure we need that kind of distraction now

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | October 11, 2006 9:22 AM | Report abuse

The long pass in the first half was to Thrash on a one-man out pattern after a run fake. Doesn't anyone see that Brunell's biggest problem is that he knows who he is going to throw to when he breaks the huddle. That is why he throws into coverage so many times, like on the 3Q, 3rd and 1 attempt to double covered Cooley. His sacks are because he backs up so deep that Jansen and Sammuels are giving up huge angles to the DEs. There was push up the middle early, but in the second half, he had room to step up and throw, not focus on the rush and keep backing up. Manning took hits to complete long passes, but he also does not have to wind up and telegraph when he is going throw. Cover the short passes and Brunell is ineffective. Unless we can find ways to beat the good teams, it will be a long season. We are going to run out of Texans and Titans real soon.

Posted by: Skinslaw | October 11, 2006 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I notice that we pased on Greenbay DB Ahmad Carrol who went to the Jags. His stats look good and we has available?? Where is Vinny?-Danny. And the Patriots just released CB Hank Poteat.

Either of these guys would be depth and possible improvements over Rumph/Wright. Why are the Skins sitting still with this set of DB's??

Posted by: QDawg | October 11, 2006 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Oh my God!! What the hell was that!!
The Titans!!!!!