Final Odds And Ends

The Skins have agreed to terms with 13 undrafted free agents, Cerrato said, and the team will announce that after the players are officially signed - they agreed with 4 OL, 2 DL, 1 CB, 1 QB, 1 WR, 2 S, 2 LBs.

Zorn said he has yet to meet some players - Shawn Springs and LaRon Landry are among those who have not been around - and that the players will wear names on theri backs at mini camp to help the coaches stay on top of things.

Carlos Rogers, Colt Brennan and Rocky McIntosh are players who will not be able to particualte fully in the mini camp, Zorn said.

The only people in the Redskins war room with regularity through the draft were Cerrato, Snyder, Zorn, and Scott Campbell, with scout Shemy Schembechler working the phones.

Rinehart, the OL the Skins took, will definitely take snaps at center and could be a backup there in time, though he did not play there in college, Zorn and Cerrato said. That is an area of need.

Cerrato said all three times the Redskins traded back they still ended up getting the exact player they had originally earmarked. So if these guys don't pan out for any reason, it won't be because the Skins got stuck taking players they didn't value.

LSU DT Glenn Dorsey was the top player on Washington's overall board, Cerrato said.

Former Redskins safety Pierson Preioleau has agreed to terms with Jacksonville, according to a source close to the player.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 27, 2008; 7:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Seventh Round - The Marathon Is Over
Next: Draft Review

Comments

Posted by: amcg | April 27, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

no worse than fifth?

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like they are just adding beefcake fodder with the FAs. Beefcake! BEEEFCAAKE!!

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | April 27, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I heart Colt Brennan!

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I know nothing about football!

WooooHoooooo!

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

any chance they will sign more?

Posted by: deadskin | April 27, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

People seem to enjoy taking random pock shots at me.

I totally deserve it.

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the summary:

If the LBs turn out to be Henderson and Hall that would be an amazing grab for us.

Posted by: Mike C. | April 27, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

@ podspeak

Are you a STH? If so, there are over 30,000 people on the waiting list (including myself) that would love to take them off your hands for this truly dreadful playoff team that just got better.

And yes, that is the only stance I have about this draft accept to say NOBODY knows how these picks will turn out, but at least we did not go broke in finding out. I look forward to seeing how they do pan out and which ones make the team and how they perform.

The armchair GM's can now go take a shower.

Posted by: CT Skins Fan | April 27, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

All the johnny come lately posters scared all the regs away?

What do you think guys?

CL? Good draft or bad draft?

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I really hope Vince Hall is one of them. Keeping my fingers crossed for Dixon. Henderson is a given... sure he'd like to be close to home... Tommy Blake?

Posted by: CLEGG | April 27, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

And for all the haters, we did get great value out of this draft, whether you think so or not.

2 outta the top 5 WRs, and if they do nothing but line up for jump balls in the red zone, they've earned their keep.

Probably the most complete TE prospect, again a red zone threat because of his size and a major upgrade to the run game over Cooley.

And Colt Brennan is what he is: A third stringer who could be coached up to replace a Todd Collins, nothing more, nothing less.

Add to that a couple of guys for depth in the trenches (Jansen cant get hurt EVERY year can he?) and some depth in our defensive backfield, and Id say thats a pretty healthy draft.

Superstars? No. Depth? Yes. Hello! We did make the playoffs last year (albeit barely)

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | April 27, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey CT!

No, I'm not a STH, but I do love me my Redskins. In fact, I'm sporting my Redskins underroos this very moment.

Joe Theisman was my favorite player growing up, which still applies to this day. I was also big into Riggo and the fun bunch.

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Very good draft this year. Got new receivers which we needed, and possible will be able to get a DL and LB via the free agent market. Love the kicker pick, qwas tired of seeing kick-offs only make it to the 10 yard line. Was Erin H picked up by us as a free agent?

Posted by: Dolemite | April 27, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Not impressed by the draft. If they got talent, great. But they wasted picks on TE, QB and WR. They needed to place priority on OL and DL with LB next. The FA signings look more like what they should have drafted.

Of course, the real issue is did you draft NFL talent? On that ... I have no clue.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | April 27, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I anticipate great, great things for The Washington Redskins in 2008.

Love that punter!

Talk about filling a need. Boy, that kid sure is gonna get a lot of reps.

I can't wait.

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Johnny Dingle will sign.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 27, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Brace yourself...

Posted by: 3 and outs. | April 27, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

If I had a boyfriend I wouldn't post so much.

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

if joey the mouth was your favorite player, that means you're not a true skins fan. we all hated him.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Sundays should be great for mowing the lawn, don't ya think?

Posted by: Pissed by halftime. | April 27, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I heart Colt Brennan.

Not interested in any other boys!

LOL!

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Yep, whoever said it was right when they said the Redskins have the best and most loyal fans in the league. Wow, the support is so very much underwhelming.

Posted by: CT Skins Fan | April 27, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

The poster at 8:16 was NOT me.

I like girls.

Except for Colt Brennan, whom I heart.

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

DL & OL can be found in undrafted Free Agency. If Bugel can make Heyer "serviceable", I'm not worried about line depth. Just look at other teams and track history of drafting those positions. Much more difficult to predict..

Posted by: CLEGG | April 27, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Downtown Charlie Brown--- the greatest

Posted by: shantee | April 27, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm still cool with this draft. I think we got a lot of good players. BUT, still would've liked to see Calais Campbell in a 'Skins jersey, playing DE.

I give the Skins' draft a C+/B-. They got some really good players, but they should've drafted a good DE and they lost a couple of good chances to do it.

Posted by: TK | April 27, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that they're just being polite to the guys they got when they say they wound up with the player they really wanted every time they traded down.

It makes more sense to think that they hoped Clemson DE Philip Merling would slip to their first 2nd round pick. He didn't, as Miami took him with the first pick of round 2. Then, with him off the board, they were happy to take WR Devin Thomas. When other receiving threats they liked were still on the board later in the round, they got them too, probably thinking they were simply better than the DL and OL who were available - and that none of the linemen were worth the picks they had. I'm not sure if that'll turn out to be true in the long run, but that's why the draft is interesting... Who will turn out to be an unheralded hero, and who will be a bust.

Overall, I think they got a lot of depth in this draft, without breaking the bank. That should create competition for roster spots, and if nothing else help in some need areas like big receiver, and definitely improve Washington's special teams. I'd give their draft a B+. My biggest regret is that they didn't land a projected impact pass rusher for the defensive line.

Posted by: gophercrow | April 27, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Since we're handing out grades, I give this draft an W for wacky.

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, why not take a shot at Dexter Manley's son at Defensive End? He weighs 282 and runs a 4.6 40. As such, he's bigger and faster than Chris Long. Sure, he's a project, but let him come into camp and see if he can be a project.

Posted by: Mike | April 27, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike | April 27, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope that our new WRs are pissed that they got passed over in the 1st and now play with a chip on their shoulder.

Posted by: Hughes | April 27, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

For those of you that still insist on calling "first" on this blog, um, do you have a life...or are you just waiting for Jason's next post at all times?

Do you want to play tag or pin the tail on the donkey or may be Go Fish is more up your alley? Do you, honey?

Great, your first.

First D-bag.

Posted by: JK | April 27, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the Dixon kid from Hampton was signed as an UFA by the hated 'Boys......Hashmarks blog on ESPN just reported it.....bummer!

Dixon signs with Dallas

April 27, 2008 8:02 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Marcus Dixon's long, hard journey to the NFL had to wait until after the draft. But it is over.
He was signed by Dallas as an undrafted free agent, shortly after the drat ended, according to his agent Joe Linta.

Posted by: Federico | April 27, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

JK don't knock a longstanding RI tradition

Posted by: zornskins | April 27, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

a give them an A. its not an A draft, but they maxed what they had. they did great dancing w/Atlanta. they got the 2 top WR and the top TE. the rest are wait and see. Henderson is a sleeper. if they didn't sign him i'd be shaking my head til my neck hurt. he made some big plays at Md and could be situ/player in pros. maybe LaVarr could return as nose tackle, he's big enuff and i miss him making plays. hope the D and O lines stay healthy

Posted by: devans | April 27, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

+++Rinehart, the OL the Skins took, will definitely take snaps at center and could be a backup there in time...+++--JASNO

I hereby bestow the first nickname of the new Redskins draft class:

Chad "Small Sack" Rinehart

Posted by: Corkczar | April 27, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh comeon... It' why they drafted him!

Posted by: CORKczar | April 27, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

JK don't knock a longstanding RI tradition

Posted by: zornskins | April 27, 2008 8:34 PM

Got it....

Right on, I am a newbie here, and I respect some tradition. But it is getting a little silly. Isn't it?

POOLMAN?

Posted by: JK | April 27, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

In general I am waiting for the flood of draft day new/anonymous postees to receed before getting into a real discussion on this draft with the regular crew. Those of you who find it interesting please stay but a bit more vitriolic than the day to day jibba...

But initial reaction is 1) like the motivational idea of helping out Soups with targets - this is a do or die year for him 1a) but using 1st 3 picks there was definitely overkill giving a number of big holes elsewhere and the fact that a couple seemed redundant while awfully tempting D players seemed still around 2) aside from positional mix (1a) a couple of the later guys were a bit of a reach but not beyond the bounds of reason 3) very glad that Redskins immediately went and got 13 UFAs. I say B overall, but one of the best drafts in Snyder history - where F to C has been the norm.

Posted by: zornskins | April 27, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

LMGO Cork!!!

Posted by: kost52 | April 27, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Phurstt!

Posted by: JK | April 27, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

"Um, Maurice Mann? Tyler Ecker? Jerome Mathis? Billy McMullen? Anthony Mix? James Thrash? Burl Toler?

Coach wants to see you. Bring your playbook."

Posted by: Corkczar & Reaper, Grim | April 27, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I have no sack at all, but you probably already guessed that.

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Cork, No one has playbooks yet.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

phordee-phorph!

Posted by: JK | April 27, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Anybody have any thoughts on Dexter Manley's son. As I noted above, he's a project, but he's got the size and speed of a potential pro-bowler...and scouts note he has an explosive first step and would be an excellent pass-rusher (282 pounds, 4.65 40). Needs work on run-stopping and additional moves beyond his speed.

Posted by: Mike | April 27, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

forty-apth. ha ha ha

Posted by: lame | April 27, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm just happy that the team is committing to JaCam in such a major way by giving him weapons. Compare it to the situation in SF or other teams where young QBs have failed...

It's not as if our starters on the O-Line are bad.....they are just getting older, but our unit is still above average. I like the Rinehart pick a lot, since he can play multiple positions and he's huge. Bugel is a great coach and I really believe this draft was a turning point for the team and for our young QB especially.

The only reason it wasn't a great draft is because the D Line was neglected for the.....5th year in a row....the 8th? That's disappointing, as is the lack of LB depth.

But compared to past drafts especially, this was a good job by the team. If we can patch together some D depth through UFAs and June cuts (yet again unfortunately), I see us making the playoffs again with a much improved offense.

With any luck, it will be great to see the team put up points on the board for the first time in nearly 2 decades....

Posted by: Federico | April 27, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Funny. Check out the Q&A. Vinny drafted a kid who plays with the Skins in Madden. LOL

Posted by: JustMe | April 27, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I like counting. 4y5? or 4 6?

Wish I could've called first.

Would've been so much easier then.

Posted by: Jax]cass | April 27, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

"There are several more people were looking at as undrafted free agents" Cerrato said "and one of those is a kid we just heard about named Lekelvin Melvin, we hear he can fly...."

Posted by: DWC | April 27, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

This Melvin sounds like a hoax to me.

Posted by: TK | April 27, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Reports coming out of La Tech say that Melvin may return for his senior year after not being drafted. His coach said "I cant believe a team did not take him, he runs a 4.15 forty and a 7.38 one hundred. One game when returning a kick off he actually had streaks of light following him into the end zone. It was F*cking crazy, I thought I was having an acid flashback"

Posted by: DWC | April 27, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I have sex with farm animals.

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

When is the list of free agents going public?

Posted by: Dolemite | April 27, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

we can get by with our current o line but how they don't upgrade the d line is beyond me?

the punter is the most important pick this year.

new offense, new coach, new receivers, the offense will need a lot of games before they are in sync. if the offensive scheme is even any good.

we just don't have any play makers on defense other then laron landry.

getting to 500% next year would be stellar for this group of skins.

Posted by: chunglee | April 27, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

getting to 500% would be impressive for any team

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

This Melvin sounds like a hoax to me.
Posted by: TK | April 27, 2008 9:05 PM

Ummm. I've seen him play and he is no joke.
I can't believe you're saying that. This kid ran a 4.19!!! and while he is a little undersized he can hit real hard.

Posted by: JK | April 27, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Although I think they did pretty well (B+) with this draft. Their current cap situation dictated their "value" approach this year. They have no cap room... very little, they restructured "Clinton's" contract in an effort to gain cap room. This year they are suffering from a financial hangover from all of bad FA's and inflated contracts from the past. If the skins had added a big time free agent this off season, they would not have any money left over to sign all of their picks. This is going to be an interesting year code named "Alka-Seltzer".

Posted by: 70 Chip | April 27, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I like the direction we are headed. I'd giev them a B+...

1) We seem to have a plan and that is the WCO.

2) We went out and got players to fit that system.

3) We had 10 picks!!!

4) We got some secondary help.

5) We've already got some UFA's on the way in.

6) We got the #1 punter on the board in the 6th round...I can live with that.

The only thing I wanted to see was a pickup of a CB at a higher pick. I think we need to draft Springs' replacement and start grooming him now.

KUDOS Danny and Vinny...

Posted by: sicwidit | April 27, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Melvin was about to sign with Denver but his mom nixed it because she's afraid of heights

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Lekelvin Melvin former La Tech teamate Jason Nance, who is Techs second string QB commented on melvin not getting drafted today. "It blows my mind he was not drafted. i never seen anyone play like him. I remeber once in practice he was coming at me on a blitz and at the last second I was able to get the ball off to an open guy down field before he knocked me down. When I looked up my pass had been picked off, and then I noticed that Melvin had intercepted it. I couldnt believe my f8cking eyes,the guy knocked me down and actually beat the f*cking ball to the reciever. What can you do agaist a guy that fast"

Posted by: DWC | April 27, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't say KUDOS to Danny and Vin. Around these parts, no one is allowed to say those two ever did anything good. Even a newbie like myself knows that.

Posted by: Dolemite | April 27, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he can run a 4.1 40 but can he play football?

Posted by: sicwidit | April 27, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm an "O-G" on RI...Kudos to Danny and Vinny!!!

They get ripped to shreds often and daily. They deserve some credit!!!

Posted by: sicwidit | April 27, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've been busy shaving my whole body. (No, I'm not a swimmer.)

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 27, 2008 9:21 PM

Yah..heard the same thing. That's crazy. DC would be a perfect fit for them.

Can't believe we didn't sign him. What a loss for us!

I hear Carolina picked him up.

Dude's gonna run rough-shod on kick returns and will be a pretty nifty DB eventually.

Posted by: J.K. | April 27, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 27, 2008 9:21 PM

Yah..heard the same thing. That's crazy. DC would be a perfect fit for them.

Can't believe we didn't sign him. What a loss for us!

I hear Carolina picked him up.

Posted by: J.K. | April 27, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Lekelvin Melvin's former La Tech teamate Jason Nance, who is Techs second string QB commented on melvin not getting drafted today. "It blows my mind he was not drafted. I never seen anyone play like him. I remeber once in practice he was coming at me on a blitz and at the last second I was able to get the ball off to an open guy down field before he knocked me down. When I looked up my pass had been picked off, and then I noticed that Melvin had intercepted it. I couldnt believe my f*cking eyes,the guy knocked me down and actually beat the f*cking ball to the reciever. What can you do agaist a guy that fast"

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell does Laron Landry think he is, not contacting his coach. Springs has a note from his mom.

Don't pull that Sean Taylor crap on us now Laron! You haven't earned that right yet.

Posted by: sicwidit | April 27, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

thats freakin hillariuos, now I know its a joke.

Posted by: KJ | April 27, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Must been some arch on that pass.

Posted by: Mike | April 27, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

You do know that Melvin plays WR as well, right?

Dude had 13 ints last year. But, what a lot of folks don't know is that he caught 3 TDs as a WR. Doesn't sound like a lot, but he only played offense when they needed him.

Look, the guy is an athlete. We should've at least tried to sign him to an FA contract.

Posted by: JK | April 27, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

I love Joe Gibbs, but thank God we don't have:

"Core" Redskins
"Supersmart" Players

Hopefully, we just have football players, "cause we're gonna need every swingin' soul"....

Sorry, now it's outta my system!

Go ZORN!!!

Posted by: sicwidit | April 27, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

That draft "war" room must smell like old ham and azz grease with all the picks we had!!!

Posted by: sicwidit | April 27, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KW | April 27, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason - how about using the spellcheck sometime?

Posted by: smart guy | April 27, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

take a look at what HTS had to say about our draft:

Yeah, it is a little out there.

Posted by: JK | April 27, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh God!!! Now we have to hear how we should'nt have let Prioleau go...

Posted by: sicwidit | April 27, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 9:26 PM

...thats kinda gross that you'd even have to shave your whole body..

Posted by: chail | April 27, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

We shouldn't have let Prioleau go. I heart him.

Posted by: podspeak | April 27, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Damn you, podspeak!!! Now we'll have to hear how Prileau was the second coming of Ronnie Lott!!!!

Posted by: sicwidit | April 27, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

What's with this podspeak freak? Enough with the body shaving and farm animal stuff.

Posted by: dude... | April 27, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Getting Rick rolled - of all the nasty, hateful and ungrateful things said about the Skins org on this site in its entire history, THIS CROSSES THE LINE, CLEARLY NEEDS TO BE DELETED!

Posted by: Dude | April 27, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

draft recap at redskins.com and crazy picture of Vinny:

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

other teammates commented on Melvin as well. WR Tomaras Peterson of Mississippi State recalled a game when he played agaist Melvin. "people talk about how fast he is, and thats true, but he also can jump. I remeber late in the third quarter I ran a fly route and my QB threw me a jump ball. I am 6'6 and Melvins like 5'9 or 5'8, something like that, he's pretty short. Anyways, the balls in the air and I leap as high as I can to catch it, but melvin snaggs it before it even gets to me. I aint never seen anybody jump that high, it was like he used a trampolene or something. I told the coaches they should ask to have his equipment checked becuase thats just not natural." When asked how high he thought Melvin had leaped on that play, Peterson replied "I aint real shure but it was pretty darn high, I mean I can touch the top of the backboard and I jumped as high as I could, and Melvins crotch was where my head was. I mean damn man, his balls were in my face, that aint never happened to me before, and I played basketball in high school. His balls were actually in my face"

Posted by: DWC | April 27, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

dexter manley's son is a free agent rookie?..bring him in if he is anything like his father who was a top d-lineman in his era and superior pass rusher that would be tremendous.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Skins added:

OL - Kerry Brown - OG - Appalachian State
OL - Shannon Boatman - OT - Florida State
OL - Devin Clark - OT - New Mexico

Erin henderson = Vikings

Posted by: Terpin It | April 27, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

bah the Vikings got a lot of the undrafted free agents we were targetting including Henderson :(

I wonder who the 2 LBs are .. maybe Hall and Dias (UVA)?

Posted by: Mike C. | April 27, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

DWC, thats the funniest stuff I have read in a while. Sounds like a skit for the chappel show. Melvins the man!!

Posted by: Mike | April 27, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Sam Keller, Barnard Morris, Blake Powers and Xavier Lee are the only top QBs that havent declared a signing yet... Keller is probably the only one that would have a real chance here.

Hope they announce their FA signings soon, the curiousity is killing me.

Posted by: Mike C. | April 27, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

f using other peoples handles

f anon D-bags

F this draft/love this draft...I am to confused to know right now...love the 10 picks, love the trading down, don't love the TE pick, and what seems like some reaches we made...

Posted by: chris larrY | April 27, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

While I would've preferred more DL help this is one of the first drafts in a long time where it looks like a lot of the guys they picked should make the team. The WR's should help the redzone offense if nothing else. The TE could cause some interesting matchup problems - Zorn now has two legit TE receiving threats, two big WR's, 2 small fast WR's, and CP to make offensive combo's out of. That's alot for opposing DC's to think about.

Love the OG pick - sounds like a Bugel guy - big and versatile.

The CB should be a contributor. The main knock on the CB was his height.

The punter, while tough to get excited about them drafting a punter, fills a definite need - hope he makes the team.

Kareem Moore - who knows? Nfl.com said he runs a 4.5 40 and he's got decent size.

Colt Brennan - should make the team as 3rd QB - seems like he might be a koy detmer type - decent in a pinch but not someone you wwould want long term.

Who knows about the other two.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 27, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Scott Campbell a regular blogger during registration?

Posted by: bangkokben | April 27, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I give the Skins front office an A for simply maximizing draft picks instead of trading them away for former pro-bowlers at the end of their careers.

They got a bunch of young talent... every swinging soul fought their guts out in the draft war room this weekend! We should all be super pleased!

Now let's score some points this year!

Posted by: Alan | April 27, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this has already been posted but this was interesting on nfl.com about Kareem Moore:

Compares To: RYAN CLARK-Pittsburgh...While he might not play up to his timed speed, Moore is rarely caught out of position. For a player with his minimal football experience, he shows good read-and-react ability. Like Clark, he is very good at recognizing routes developing. He flashes good pop on contact as a tackler and while he needs to work on his recovery speed and man coverage skills, he is a solid downhill tackler who could contribute immediately in the sub packages

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 27, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

A great analysis of Colt Brennan at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/19728-2008-NFL-Draft-COLT-BRENNAN----WWBWD-What-Would-Bill-Walsh-Do--250408

At first I wasn't psyched to get him, but feel much better after reading that.

Posted by: Jake | April 27, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

The draft by the Redskin's was another joke. Where are all the defenders of day one who said we would draft OL and DL on day two?

I said I would not be too sure about that and lo and behold we didn't. Shocker!

Snyder/Vinny are clowns. I would not trust them to run a fantasy football draft!

Try reading the Boswell column. Funny stuff!!!

Posted by: Rob P | April 27, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see any interviews of Greg Blache? Wonder if he is minding the lack of picks used on DL.

That Thrash/Mix battle for the last WR/ST spot is gonna be interesting. I like Thrash and all but like the youth movement better. I can't see Sellers being very involved in the passing game as much this year. When we have the 4 wide or double tight I would think CP will be the lone back to either pass protect or go out on patterns. Either way the O should be a lot more fun to watch as long as the line stays healthy.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

i think JLC wrote that column under boswells name. guaranteed in the fall he will be saying he thought they were good picks all along.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Check out this crazy footage on Melvin, can't believe we didn't pick'em up. Oh well.

Posted by: For Real | April 27, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Our newly drafted punter...

I am wishing I didn't buy the #4 Frost jersey last year.

Posted by: ByebyeFrosty | April 27, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Do people forget we're a Top 10 D???!!! With plenty of injuries all year. Young DLineman are only going to get better. Chris Wilson, another year to get stronger and build upper body strength.

Posted by: CLEGG | April 27, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow, those are amazing moves.

Posted by: SMACK | April 27, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I thought Boswells column was a cheap shot. The skins got three guys in the 2nd round who had 1st round potential according to some. Given Moss' injury history the past two years it may not be a bad move. Now if these guys are bagging groceries 3 years from now then Boswell's column is fitting but who knows about any of these guys right now? To me it looks like they've at least added alot of depth and possibly more than a few guys that could contribute right away.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 27, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Our newly drafted punter...

I am wishing I didn't buy the #4 Frost jersey last year.

Posted by: ByebyeFrosty | April 27, 2008 10:37 PM

Sweeeet

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 27, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DWC | April 27, 2008 9:54 PM

Classic, but does Melvin bite on the double move.

Posted by: KJ | April 27, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Too bad about Henderson. I would have thought that the Skins might have had something in place with him considering the injury with Rocky Mcintosh

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

4 OL, 2 DL, 1 CB, 1 QB, 1 WR, 2 S, 2 LBs

Projections cause my inquiring mind wants to know (*=confirmed)

OL:

S - DJ Parker - S - Va Tech
S - Jonathan Hefney - S - Tennessee

LB:
LB - Vince Hall - ILB - Va Tech
LB - Jermaine Dias - ILB - UVA

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Redskins T Shannon Boatman (Florida State)
Redskins T Devin Clark (New Mexico)
Redskins G Kerry Brown (Appalachian State)
Redskins S Kevin Mitchell (Illinois)

Posted by: kost52 | April 27, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

This statement is a stretch to say the least. mant teams lead up on certain positions in the draft. Redskins number 1 need was wide receiver, and they got two. I usally like Boswells columns but he was too critical with this one.

Posted by: DWC | April 27, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

The thing that bugs me about the draft is that for trading back 3 times they only managed to pick up one extra pick.
Isn't the point of trading back mostly to get extra picks!

Posted by: Dante | April 27, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I have read nicer articles in Newsweek about the Bush administration, than Boswell's article on the skins. One thing should be ringing loud and clear to Ceratto by now if he is paying any attention to the fans and press. The Redskins nation is demanding upgrades on the D-Line. Ceratto's philosophy about not drafting D-Lineman is exteremly outdated, and I think he is being hard headed about it. In todays NFL, not drafting a running back high in the draft would make better since then not drafting lineman. Cerrato needs to get out of the past.

Posted by: DWC | April 27, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure about that Colt Brennan pick. He is decent, but he is no Jordan Palmer

Posted by: Jordan Palmer | April 27, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

USA Today graded our draft a B:

Washington Redskins: Wanted to trade their No. 1 pick for established WR but instead bailed out of the round to give themselves more choices than the nine with which they went into the draft. Then got WR Devin Thomas at the top of the second round. Thomas, a junior college transfer, only had the one solid season at Michigan State. WR Malcolm Kelly fell quite a bit but may be better than Thomas. TE Fred Davis was tops at his position on many boards. QB Colt Brennan could be fun to watch

Posted by: Mike C. | April 27, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Senior NFL Analyst Ed Thompson has reported to us here at Warpath that the Redskins have signed Wide Receiver Horace Gant from St. Olaf College.

Gant, who ended his career as St. Olaf's leader in receiving yards, touchdown receptions and receptions, is one of 50 NCAA students from across the country who made up 2007's American Football Coaches Association Division III all-star team.

That team represented the United States against the Mexican National Team in the 2007 Aztec Bowl on Dec. 8, 2007 in Chihuahua, Mexico.

Posted by: marlonjohn | April 27, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Skins now have a TON of return guys ... Hefney and Purify are also return guys.

Shouldn't be sad or surprised by Erin Henderson going to the Vikes ... to live in the same city as his OUTSTANDING MLB brother, E.J.

On the undrafted FA signings, I'm ready to give that a grade of solid B+. Boatman is going to be the guard/tackle guy, just like Rinehart is going to be the center/guard guy.

The roster cuts this year are going to be painful ... many "core Skins" will see the door ... thinking about Thrash, Rock. Pierson in Jax? Good for him ... someone to "teach" whatever it is that Grilliams is going to install on top of Del Rio's D. Here he was a guy with a blasted knee.

Now re: the punter situation ... don't get me wrong, I think Frost is a great tackler and that, as the safety valve, was able to keep anyone from returning his punts for TDs (someone check me on that). That said, we are now SET at punter for a decade. Two words ... HANG TIME. The only downside risk I can see is if Brooks turns out to be a narcissistic self-destroyer along the lines of Todd Sauerbrun (booze) or Vanderjagt (also booze, I think). Seems like he's got the narcissistic part down ... I'm AOK with that as long as his performance levels remain high. I don't care that he doesn't have the durability to kick off. Also, The Todd should be the holder on place kicks from now on.

On picking a punter alone, I am initially penciling in a grade of A ... I'm re-reviewing the exam, however, to see whether the Skins' choices at DE are workable as a long term option to replace Phil Daniels. If he remains healthy this year, then it won't matter till next year.

Current Skins bumming list: Thrash; Rock; Prioleau (so much so, that he's now gone); all off-season WR pickups; Frost.

Coach who now faces the brightest spotlight: Stan Hixon.

Posted by: dcsween | April 27, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Vinny C

On Rob Jackson (DE, Kansas State):

"Our scouts liked him when they went in and then John Palermo (Defensive Line) watched him on film. It is kind of like Blache (Greg, Defensive Coordinator) with Montgomery (Anthony, DT, #94) and Golston (Kedric, DT, #64), there was something that Greg Blache saw in those guys when we took them. There was something that John saw in Jackson. He went out and worked him out a few weeks ago and then he came over again Thursday when we were over there to see Jordy (Nelson). The guy played very good against Auburn, so he has ability. He flashes ability. Now it will be just to get him stronger in the upper body. It will be to get him consistency. There is a reason why he went in the seventh. We just have to get it out of him, like we did with Montgomery and Golston. That's the same type of guy. When you see him he is not real big upper body, but he has a solid lower body, so he needs to get stronger up top. Jordy told me when we were there working out that the receivers had to watch Rob's hands, because he used his hands so well. It's a guy who has ability and we just have to get it out of him."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Just re-read that 10:57pm was only a projection, rather than anything real. I withdrawn the grade there. And shame on whoever posted at 10:57pm ... of COURSE you can pick well when you have the WHOLE undrafted class to choose from ...

Posted by: dcsween | April 27, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Scott Campbell a regular blogger during registration?

Posted by: bangkokben | April 27, 2008 10:06 PM

That Scott Campbell you're talking about could be me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 27, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Vinny C

On an overall assessment of this draft class:

"This draft class we covered a lot of positions. We were able to fulfill a lot of things that we went in the draft looking for. One defense, when you talk to the defensive coaches, the number one need coming in on defense really was safety because we just had three on the roster, so that was big need. Greg (Blache, Defensive Coordinator) told me we can go play, but we just have no depth at safety, so that was a priority to go get that. You always want defensive linemen if you can find them. Overall offensively I think we satisfied everything that we went in looking for. We didn't go in looking for a tight end but it just happened to be that's the way it fell on

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

This one hurts more than the E Henderson deal with the Vikes.

Cowboys | Dixon contract update
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:17:59 -0700

Updating a previous report, Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys have signed undrafted free-agent DL Marcus Dixon (Hampton) to a three-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Posted by: drbatchelor | April 27, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Guys (Vinny & Dan) thanks for locking me up with a new contract and then spending a valuable pick on the number one punter in the draft, that was awesome for my confidence and makes all the sense in the world, like drafting LB's Sartz and Robert McCune in prior drafts.

I guess you guys will use up two roster spots and carry two punters? Or were you guys just wasting a pick because you don't want to pay the dude and you are going to cut him?

If you wanted to bring in some competition, you could get any scrapheap FA to do that. But instead you wasted that pick? Bizarre no? Are you just going to pay me my whole salary if he wins the competition? Is this how other teams do it?

Posted by: Frosty | April 27, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

FWIW Jaws just singled out skins as best team from the draft on sportscenters post drat recap.

Posted by: chris larrY | April 27, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Granted they are 'in Denial', The Redskins are in full rebuilding mode. Their top draft picks C.Rodgers, S. Taylor, R. Mcintosh, will not be contributing to the team in 08', and they will be lucky if they get anything out of Rodgers and McIntosh moving forward. Due to their injuries, they will be average at best, for the rest of their career. I am so thankful that the Cincy saved them from themselves by not dealing 30 year old C. Johnson. If they're lucky, with a few solid drafts, they will be in superbowl contention in 2011. Gibbs built a solid vetern base to groom young talent. This is the best thing they have going for them. Hopefully, Zorn will get an earnest shot to last 3-4 years, concurrently, with J. Campbell and that offense which is now loaded with young talent at the skill positions.

I actually believe in Vinny's ability to judge talent and the first 4 picks look real solid and smart. The dumb move was not getting more picks in rounds 3-5, with all that trading down. They really needed some solid young Linemen prospects on both sides of the ball. They ONLY got one, in Chad Rinehart. Now, they need to PRAY that they can find a few 'Anthony Montgomery & Stephon Hoyer's' in the undrafted Free Agent market.

The biggest concern, is that Defense. It's going to get real old, real fast. The Skins Management never seems able to grasp the concept that the older a player gets, the higher likelihood that a player will get injured. If they have any significant injuries to the Defense stalwarts (M.Washington, L, Fletcher, S. Springs, Smoot, Carter) this year, they will be in the bottom 10 ranking in Defense in the NFL --- No matter of the type of job Gregg Blache does. Simply put, there is no depth and there are very few young talented prospects to groom.

Posted by: Alobar | April 27, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I reckon we'll probably have 6 roster spots for WR this season, since we now use a WCO, which would probably end up being

Moss
Randel-El
Thomas
Kelly
Thrash
Mix

Posted by: kost52 | April 27, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 27, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

"One year, vet min, no signing bonus. Derrick, I know "locked up". Locked up was a friend of me. Mr. Frost, you are not locked up."
=============================
*Best Dan Quayle impression*

dcsween...that was, that was uncalled for.

:-)

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

So they signed Jerome Mathis for nothing?

Moss
Randel-El
Thomas
Kelly
Thrash
Mix

Posted by: kost52 | April 27, 2008 11:35 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Alobar, Anthony Montgomery was a 5th round pick.

Posted by: dcsween | April 27, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Looking at our roster, I reckon LB is our biggest need at the moment. All the other positions fill out, while the depth might not be at the level we'd like, it's at least there. LB looks pretty weak to me.

Posted by: kost52 | April 27, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Redskins CB Matterral Richardson (Arkansas)

Posted by: kost52 | April 27, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

How do you trade down 3 times and only pick up one extra pick. Sure you can argue that they got better picks overall, but they only had a net gain of one pick.

Personally, I think that one of the reason they kept trading down is that they didn't have much cap room to sign people.

Posted by: Larry Michael | April 27, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Jerome Mathis was signed to return kicks ... and he knows he is coming on "on the bubble".

Posted by: dcsween | April 27, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

So they signed Jerome Mathis for nothing?

Posted by: | April 27, 2008 11:40 PM

Not really, that's just my thought, he might beat out Thrash or Mix. Even if he doesn't make it I don't think the signing was for nothing, they didn't know they would draft 2 WR's.

Posted by: kost52 | April 27, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

USA gives us a "B" for the draft.

A ESPN Anylist says we had the best draft of any team.

Mel Kiper praises the Skins for managing the trade and getting good picks on day one

The Washington Post reporter Thomas Boswell says of the skins draft "How did something so bizarre, so off-the-wall, so outside NFL norms and so unlikely to succeed come to pass?"

Clearly there is some conflict between the Redskins FO and the hometown media, and it is starting to cloud good writers judgement.

Posted by: DWC | April 27, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Cameron Colvin? Is he the WR we got?

Posted by: DCdangerous | April 27, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Why would we even sign a rookie free agent WR. We have WR coming out of our ears. It is not the biggest deal since this is just a rookie free agent, but I thought they would have spent more time signing DL after the draft

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Seemed like their trades were more about positioning than getting a ton of picks. If most of these guys pan out than cudos to Vinny and the scouting dept for their evaluation process.

I wonder if they were targeting Dennis Dixon in the 5th. We was taken right before their pick and then they traded out. I was hoping they'd take a chance on him.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 27, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Cameron Colvin? Is he the WR we got?

Posted by: DCdangerous | April 27, 2008 11:49 PM

49ers got him.

Posted by: kost52 | April 27, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

DCdangerous the WR is a WR from the new QB coaches' former college team he coached.

Posted by: marlonjohn | April 27, 2008 11:20 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Any chance we trade some of our WR such as Randle-El or one of our new WR for Jason Taylor. Miami has pretty bad WR. Maybe the worst in the NFL

Posted by: Big Tuna | April 27, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Pete Prisco from CBS-

Washington Redskins

Best pick: Taking Malcolm Kelly in the second round will pay off big. Kelly played much faster than his slower 40 time would indicate.

Questionable move: Trading out of the first round is always questionable, but the Redskins did the right thing. They ended up with more picks and added players they wanted anyway.

Second-day gem: Cornerback Justin Tryon, a fourth-round pick, is small at 5-9, 190 pounds, but he has the speed to play man coverage.

Overall grade: A. I've been critical of a lot of things the Redskins have done, but Vinny Cerrato had an outstanding draft. He should hold his head high.

Posted by: kost52 | April 28, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

How much of Frosts veteran minimum could have gone to getting DJ Hackett for $1.2M? Hackett will go on to be a bigger factor this season for the Panthers than any of our 2nd rounders will for us.

Not picking up d-line, LB, saftey, corner help sent this team to a 7-9 record.

Sweeney Quali. They could have put the Mathis money with the Frost money and picked up a proven talent at FA WR. Vinny is a bumbler, stumbler, fumbler who folllows no real plan. Roster spot wise, you simply cant take 5 punt returners, 7 WR, 2 punters
when your defensive coordinator says to you he has serious concerns about the numbers of safties on the roster! And your third corner from last season had massive injuries (Rogers). And your starter McIntosh is out. Seriosuly, who is going to play LB for this team? Add to that your team got toasted by tall WR as soon as Sean Taylor went out.

One or two injuries on defense and this team is cooked. Weak at linebacker. Weak at Saftey, weak at corner, weak at DE. Those are the facts. The garbage guys in the sixth and seventh rounds will do nothing. See Eubanks, Torrance, Ade Jimoh. You need to pick high to get value.

Posted by: Sweeney | April 28, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

The Dolphins drafted 3 DE so I fully expect them to deal Taylor

Posted by: Big Tuna | April 28, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Kost, thats what I have been saying. Everybody is loving the draft except the hometown media and crowd. My theory is that we have come to hate Cerrato so much, we wont realize anything he does right, until Cambell is holding the Lombardi over his head.

Posted by: DWC | April 28, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

The Dolphins drafted 3 DE so I fully expect them to deal Taylor

Posted by: Big Tuna | April 28, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I was shouting for O-line and D-line picks months ago. (Like most.)

And my attitude toward Vinny and Danny is best summed up by a very old-school 1A and 2A (i.e., they both suck) on the ol' blog table.

But to my surprise I'm liking this draft. Our receivers have basically been a bust the last couple of years. TD numbers last year--dreadful. We have upgraded the receiving corps in a big, dramatic swoop. Nice.

Lack of line help is disappointing, but you can't get everything. Scoring Strongshank the magic punter is a nice bonus.

But of course Vinny and Dan still suck, and will suck until further notice.

Posted by: farstriker | April 28, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Sweeney,

You're an idiot, look at how many injuries the skins had last year on defense...they played without there starting outside linebacker (mcintosh went out early), corner and safety and went up to new york and beat the super bowl champs right before they went on there run, the skins have great depth because so many young players had to step it up and play, oh yeah and they dominated the cowgirls for the 3 quarters the cowgirls had their starters in that final game of the season

Posted by: realist | April 28, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Name the undrafted FA already.....You are ruining my sleep

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

I actually think we should try to pry jason taylor away from dolphins now...he still has 4-5 years, we kept our picks, we have some players and future draft picks to dangle, he would drastically improve the D and make a lethal combo with carter, and he wouldnt hamper young talent who would still be doing what they will now (cycling in at tackle, coming in on 3rd and in blitz packages)..

Posted by: chris larrY | April 28, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

welcome back farstriker

Posted by: ChRis LaRry | April 28, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Whether this draft turns out to be productive or not, all's well in Redskinsland as long as we can cherish the memory of TYLER ECKER!! His would-be moves in the open field, as well as his crushing blocks were reminiscent of, I don't know, nobody. Peace.

Posted by: Bogey | April 28, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

We've got 6 of the 13 confirmed yeah?

T Shannon Boatman (Florida State)
T Devin Clark (New Mexico)
G Kerry Brown (Appalachian State)
S Kevin Mitchell (Illinois)
CB Matterral Richardson (Arkansas)
WR Horace Gant (St.Olaf College) - Which is where the Meidt of Zorn is from correct?

I wonder if Horace Gant wears specs when he plays.

Posted by: kost52 | April 28, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I prefer Harvey Gant

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | April 28, 2008 12:26 AM
------------

Correct. I was going to mention this earlier but was scooped.

Because of this, I think he makes the team over Thrash. Just can't see him there next season with the DB we drafted to play ST.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 28, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I dont know if Jason Taylor has 4-5 years left like somone else said, But I think we should give some thought to getting him in a trade. Like I said before, I am willing to see ARE, Betts, and next years 3rd at the highest go for taylor.

Posted by: DWC | April 28, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if the Dolphins would want someone like ARE, the already have Ginn who is a similar style player.

Posted by: kost52 | April 28, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I was not happy that we did not get the receiver I wanted, but am happy with the draft. Since the draft IS a crapshoot, how can you not like this draft? 10 picks! If we can teach Davis to block, we could have the best TE in football. Love picking a punter, someone with actual talent. And as I mentioned weeks ago, Brennan can play.

Based on this draft, I do see a trade in the works. And there will be plenty of post June 1 cuts that will help us to fill some of the weaknesses on the team.

Finally, we were not going to be able to fill all of our needs through THIS draft, so we just have to bite the bullet and move forward. Well done!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 28, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Still a few decent prospects available, I hope someone like Ali Highsmith is one of our LB's

Posted by: kost52 | April 28, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DWC | April 28, 2008 12:32 AM

Upon further review, I would want to keep Betts. Trading him after he has acted like a professional in resighning with us without any problems and accepting his number two slot, would not be a classy move. Futhermore, I think rock is going to get the axe, so who would back up portis. Mason?

Posted by: DWC | April 28, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

How about springs, next years pick, for Taylor. Old guy for an old guy.

Posted by: DWC | April 28, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we could give the Dolphins Malcontent Kelly and next years 3rd round for Taylor

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Hard to find some stuff on Gant.

Pro Football Weekly had him ranked 153rd amongst WR's

6'2" 208lbs 40 Time - 4.57

Posted by: kost52 | April 28, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

4/5 years not crazy for Taylor...dude is a freak athletically, no injury history, more of a finesse rusher than power so less beating, and if Strahan why not Taylor?

Posted by: chris larrY | April 28, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Other PFW Rankings-

Devin Clark 27th OT
Shannon Boatman 32nd OT
Kerry Brown 10th OG
Kevin Mitchell 27th FS
Matterral Richardson 48th CB

Posted by: kost52 | April 28, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Jesus!

Why are you people attributing comments to me? That farm animal, body shaving, homo phobic stuff just isn't even funny.

Spoof me if you will, but at least be clever about it.

Geeeeez!@#%^$()&*

Posted by: podspeak | April 28, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Should I be honored some moron thinks enough of me to jack my handle?

Damn, that's annoying.

Registration, PLEASE! This blog is all jabber wocky without it.

Posted by: podspeak | April 28, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Just kidding it was me

Posted by: podspeak | April 28, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Poster at 1:08

f U!

Posted by: podspeak | April 28, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Sorry. I am probably the last person up checking the blog and I couldn't resist. I didn't jack your name earlier.

Posted by: Poster at 1:08 | April 28, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

As of right now, I'm dropping my handle.

Any other comments attributed to "podspeak" are NOT mine.

When registration returns, I will post under a new name.

Damn, that's just wrong!

Posted by: podspeak | April 28, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

LOL
Someone up there said there were looking forward to the...Thrash/Mix battle in camp?

Uh, what??

They are more likely to be cut..
Maybe keep Thrash for ST, but..with veteran minimums, probably not.
Thrash at this point is just a special teamer. And Mix was UNDRAFTED last year..

Posted by: D | April 28, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Most of the draft picks played on ST in college and a lot have experience as returners. Plus the Skins found a much better punter! Competition for both the punt and kick off return positions is going to be a huge training camp story.

The ST competition will help shake out the WR situation. Kelly could be a starter, Thrash has experience in a WC offense, and Mix has size/youth. I can't wait to see both Cooley and Davis in the 2-TE packages. Which guy is the MLB going to cover?

This draft improved the ST + depth for WR, TE, QB, G/T, SS, FS, and CB... The LBs, DEs, and DTs were mostly addressed in the previous two drafts. Although it will be interesting to see where Jackson plays: OLB or DE?

IMO -- The Skins biggest question marks are finding a backup C and possibly a future LG from either the existing players or (undrafted) FAs. In addition, they probably require a new holder -- hopefully the backup QB this time.

Posted by: Siris | April 28, 2008 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Podspeak,

Settle down Beavis

Posted by: Larry Michael | April 28, 2008 1:50 AM | Report abuse

I like what NFL.com wrote about Kareem Moore-

Every year there's one guy that comes out of the Southland Conference and Moore may be that guy this year. He worked out extremely well at his pro day and has strong measurables. He's a safety who runs well and will help fill a void for the Redskins. He is a special teams demon.

Posted by: kost52 | April 28, 2008 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 5:26 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is the Post being overly negative about this draft. When you read the opinions of other outlets, it's all a lot more positive. What gives? Are the Post journos now so embittered towards the Front Office that it's clouding their rational thought. Comments from Boswell like "The NFL would have to invent a rule allowing a 6th eligible receiver to allow these players on the field at the same time" are just stupid. Has not heard of having options? Has not heard of hacing depth? Has he not heard of keeping the defense on the back foot by changing formations and personnel?

I'm not a Vinny/Dan fan myself but I am finding myself liking this draft. Receiver was a big need and given the injuries to Moss and Randle El last year, durability was as big an issue at this position as it was elsewhere. Randle El is no more than a number 3 receiver to me and we did need a big receiver to offer something different to these 2 guys - now we have 2 big receivers and some competition to keep everyone on their toes. I'm also hoping the Davis pick can see us get even more out of Cooley. It had all gotten a bit obvious recently about what we wanted to do in the red zone - find Cooley. Now we have options and i like that.

Sure I would have liked to have seen some help at the line but if the guys still on the board when you come to pick don't represent good value then why reach for them when you could fill another need with someone who does represent value? I like the Reinhart pick as he sounds like he will give us some versatility and it sounds like we might have gotten ourselves a good punter who sounds like he has potential to be a big upgrade over Frosty. Also sounds like we could have added some decent depth at DB.

Overall, after an initial WTF moment, I'm quite pleased and I think the Post journos are being way too negative.

Posted by: tartanskin | April 28, 2008 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh and by the way - I wouldn't be averse to working a trade for Jason Taylor. I think he could be good for a few seasons. As has been pointed out - if Strahan can do it then why not Taylor?

Posted by: tartanskin | April 28, 2008 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tartanskin | April 28, 2008 6:14 AM

I wouldn't do it fo more than a 4th rounder though.....

Posted by: 4th | April 28, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Re: Boswell Column -

The WashPo may need to do some Reassignments, just because of this one sentence from Boz's article:

""The board" has become the internal testimony to their credibility, their value to the Redskins, their right to take the team under their complete control without the presence of any football legends in the room, like Joe Gibbs, Marty Schottenheimer or even Steve Spurrier.
"

Steve Spurrier? Really? In the same sentence is Gibbs or Schott? Really?
Wow...Just Wow.....

Posted by: 4th | April 28, 2008 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Steve Spurrier? Really? In the same sentence is Gibbs or Schott? Really?
Wow...Just Wow.....

Posted by: 4th | April 28, 2008 6:33 AM

Gotta agree with you 4th, I actually read that sentence twice just to make sure I had caught it right. That wasn't one of Boz's best articles - I think he must have written that one in a major hurry.

Also, agree that if we did find oursleves in the market for Taylor then we should be offering no more than a 4th for him.

Posted by: tartanskin | April 28, 2008 6:46 AM | Report abuse

The only good thing about this draft is that we had more than 4 picks. Most of the draftees are going to be training camp fodder. Did we upgrade the offensive line for those 3rd and one situations that just killed us last year? Did we upgrade the defensive backfield to defend against 3 wide receiver sets? Did we upgrade our no rush defensive line? I agree with Boswell, this is what happens when you let kids play on draft day. Perhaps I am wrong and this new offense is going to score 35 points per game, because I think we are going to have to reverse the trend of the defense winning games and battles that are won in the trenches that has been the NFL for the last 50 years. I see a lot of hurt coming this season. Or perhaps this is just year one in a 5 year plan to get us above .500 ball.

Posted by: Driley | April 28, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Scott Campbell a regular blogger during registration?

Posted by: bangkokben | April 27, 2008 10:06 PM

That Scott Campbell you're talking about could be me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 27, 2008 11:30 PM

So how was the war room? Did you really stick to board or did Danny keep the board sliding? What kind of food did they serve?

Posted by: bangkokben | April 28, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

"Most of the draftees are going to be training camp fodder."

Actually, the 2nd rounders are likely to make it. The CB, the two S, and the QB have excellent chances of making the team as well as the OT and P. That sound like a lot of new depth.

Your also right. This paradigm will have to change. "Score more points," will likely be our war cry instead of, "D-fence, D-fense."

Posted by: bangkokben | April 28, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Henderson not coming to the Skins...

Posted by: JC | April 28, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Jasno, Boswell, dishing out the Snyder/Cerrato hate. Most media around the country, including some of the usual 'Skins haters, are applauding what the 'Skins did in the second round. These two can't even understand it.

How do you build a football team? By taking the best players you can get or by filling the immediate needs regardless of the players' skills? Skins' got the best TE, two of the three best WRs and the best punter in the draft. That's quite a haul, and most analysts see this as a major coup. Jasno and Boswell see it as one more chance to work their agenda against Snyder and Cerrato. It says more about their own integrity than it does about the Redskins.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Scott Campbell a regular blogger during registration?

Posted by: bangkokben | April 27, 2008 10:06 PM

That Scott Campbell you're talking about could be me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 27, 2008 11:30 PM

Posted by: bangkokben | April 28, 2008 7:42 AM

Unfortunately I'm not lucky (or unlucky depending on how one see's it, in my case it would be lucky) enough to be working for the Skins. But if I had a war room, it would have plenty of bacon cooking.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 28, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

if I had a war room, it would have plenty of bacon cooking.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 28, 2008 8:30 AM

In honor of the hogs, of course.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

This page takes a year to reload. Anyone there?

Posted by: bangkokben | April 28, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Couple things:

I like this draft. While I wish that they had a shot at Merling in the second, I like what they did. They picked the BEST PLAYERS that were on the board. They got players that a GOOD NUMBER of people who work in this Draft Industry had going in the first round.

I am a pencil pusher at an environmental firm. People like Mel Kiper, Ron Jaworski, etc. this is what they do for a living. If they think that what the Redskins did was good, I'm good with that. They know a whole HECK of a lot more about this kind of stuff than I do.

I've seen favorable reviews from ESPN, SI, and a number of other places. Lets give it a couple of years, and see how it pans out.

Posted by: Greg | April 28, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to the Skins/Iggles game this year. You'll line up 8 WRs, we'll line up 6 undersized DEs, and we'll see how things go. Maybe the teams are planning some sort of player swap; we could use a WR or two and maybe one of our tweeners could end up as a stopgap OL for you.

As an outsider, I'm ambivalent about the Skins 2008 draft.

Good

I would have picked Limas Sweed over Malcolm Kelley, but if both picks turn out to be successful, not only would these 2 WRs fill an immediate need, they could also be the transition from Santana Moss/ARE to the next generation of Skins WR. OL pickup was also good because it definitely fills a need and if one (or more) of the 3 DBs sticks with the team, that's a good thing as well

Indifferent

The punter pickup may prove to be a really good choice, but I would have gone for another OL or tried to deal this pick and the Brennan pick for a higher selection in hopes Joe Bugel could coach up a prospect.

Odd/Bad

I don't understand the Fred Davis pick. Skins just paid Chris Cooley a ton of $s, Todd Yoder (and Glen Koslowski) seem to be capable backups, and Mike Sellers (remember him?) could even fill in a bit here. Even if Fred Davis turns out to be a great player, short of a trade, I don't see how this significantly helps the Skins

Guess we'll see how things play out in 2008/2009

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | April 28, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | April 28, 2008 8:40 AM

Doesn't it allow Jim Zorn to draw up plays that he never could have without two legitimate tight ends? Doesn't it create some Red Zone nightmares for a defensive coach?

But, yeah, Quentin Groves was on the board and DE is a higher priority than TE.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

I agree the draft was good we are getting good grades from people who actually know something about football. I know some of the arm chair general managers on this site disagree, but if you knew anything about football you would be working for a team and not in a office. The only pick I would have changed was the TE, I would of went OL-DL but I guess they did not have a player rated that high at either position.

Posted by: kmdp4 | April 28, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Quentin Groves is undersized and takes plays off I do not think he will be that good, we have a Groves already Chris Wilson.

Posted by: kmdp4 | April 28, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Redskins | K. Mitchell signs with team
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:59:35 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Washington Redskins have signed undrafted rookie free-agent S Kevin T. Mitchell (University of Illinois). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 28, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

next thread, please

Posted by: beep beep | April 28, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

HOW MANY PICKS DO WE HAVE NEXT YEAR???

Posted by: DRAFT | April 28, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

hopefully the LB's are henderson and woodyard!!! Also hope we bring in Hefney the S from Tenn and also young the o-lineman from tenn. There is also a DE from GT that Kiper had as his best player available from the 4th round on I believe his name was darrell robertson or something like that. Then my ultimate Sleeper Jonal St, Dic DE from Mich St who had 10 sacks last year.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Other teammates commented on Melvin as well. WR Tomaras Peterson of Mississippi State recalled a game when he played agaist Melvin. "people talk about how fast he is, and thats true, but he also can jump. I remeber late in the third quarter I ran a fly route and my QB threw me a jump ball. I am 6'6 and Melvins like 5'9 or 5'8, something like that, he's pretty short. Anyways, the balls in the air and I leap as high as I can to catch it, but melvin snaggs it before it even gets to me. I aint never seen anybody jump that high, it was like he used a trampoline or something. I told the coaches they should ask to have his equipment checked becuase thats just not natural." When asked how high he thought Melvin had leaped on that play, Peterson replied "I aint real shure but it was pretty darn high, I mean I can touch the top of the backboard and I jumped as high as I could, and Melvins crotch was where my head was. I mean damn man, his balls were in my face, that aint never happened to me before, and I played basketball in high school. His balls were actually in my face"

Posted by: DWC | April 27, 2008 9:54 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

so when is this draft thing?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 29, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse