Final Post Of The Night (I Think)

Okay, I think this is going to be it for me until tomorrow. I am pretty wiped out.

Wanted to get a few more pieces of info up before I crashed and went to bed.

Spoke to Richard Sharpstein, Sean's lawyer and de facto family spokesperson at this point. He cleared a few things up.

Sean did have an alarm system on his home, Sharpstein said, but it was not engaged that night. Sharpstein said he spoke to Jackle, Sean's girlfriend, about that evening and she said that here sister had been staying with them and coming and going from the house, so Sharpstein said that may have been why the alarm was not on at that time. Sharpstein said that Jackie had difficulty getting a dial tone and struggled to make the 911 call then "scurried to get her cellphone," and made the call from that.

However, Sharpstein said he could not say for certain whether the intruders had actually cut the phone lines at the house, as some have reported, and Sharpstein said the police were investigating that aspect of the case.

Sharpstein said that at the time the person or persons entered the house, making a noise in the living room that startled Sean and his wife, Sean's baby was in her crib. However, as they heard the clutter Sean reached for the machete under his bed - he is prohibited from having a firearm from his prior felony weapons charge - his girlfriend grabbed the baby from the crib and put her in bed with her (I believe Jackie was attempting to shield her from whatever was to come, but my last conversation with Richard was cut short and I could not get that 100 percent verified).

Jackie, Sean and the baby were the only three people in the house at the time of the murder. Sharpstein said the intruder/intruders kicked in the door, immediately fired two shots into the bedroom - one of which struck Sean, ultimately killing him - the retreated without ever entering the bedroom.

Richard also said that he could not confirm for certain that Sean was engaged to marry Jackie (some players have said he was; some of his family members have told out reporters in Miami that they did not know he was engaged to be married). Sharpstein said Sean and Jackie definitely had multiple conversations about getting married after the season, but he was not certain they had actually set a date.

Spoke to a few Redskins on the drive home from The Park. They said that it is not unusual at all for a player to return home the weekend when hurt and it was not surprising to them at all that Sean was there. They said that they did not get the sense from Sean that week that he was worried there was going to be another attack on his house and that they never got the sense that any of the issues he faced two years ago over the ATVs was at the forefront of his mind or that he thought there would be some carry over from that.

Tackle Cornelius Griffin said: "If Sean thought there was a chance that something was going to happen, there is no way he would have put his family in danger. No way. I don't believe that for one minute."

Moving on is not going to be easy. Griffin said he spoke to several teammates today and found out the news himself from television (he's an early riser and was up at 5, an hour before word got out about Sean's passing).

"It's going to be difficult to think about football and go on, but we've got to find a way to grieve for Sean but also finish this season strong. These next two weeks are going to be tough, but those other teams aren't going to be thinking about what we're going through once the games start. We've got to find to win these next two games and play as hard as we can, and after that (the Thurs. Dec. 7 game against Chicago) we can get a little break. It's a tough road but that's what we have to do."

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 27, 2007; 9:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Contract Details (Read The Disclaimer, Please)
Next: Taylor Retrospective Video

Comments

Sucks that these guys don't get some sort of break for bereavement, as most other workers would. Not only that but they have two games in the next 9 days.

Posted by: kost52 | November 27, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
Wasn't sure about you at first, but you've really won me over with your reporting during this hard time. Great job.

I miss Sean.

Posted by: waterwagen | November 27, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

JLC... thanks for the numerous updates my man. Sean wasn't a family member of mine, but he was a guy who made me happy 16 Sundays a year, win or lose. And for that I and many Skins fans have a vested relationship in the players, particularly Sean because at the end of the game, he always left it all on the field. RIP Sean.

Posted by: myterpsr1 | November 27, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Get some sleep. Thank you so much for all the information you've provided.

I went to FedEx Field tonight well after the vigil was over. People were still pouring in.

Rest in Peace Sean Taylor, you will be missed.

Posted by: Kate20012 | November 27, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

jason, you've done an excellent job covering this tragic story all day...get some sleep

Posted by: fredneck4000 | November 27, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

First of all, Rest in Piece Sean. We were all lucky to have you while we did.

Jasno, thanks for all the hard work in covering this story. You've uncovered more than anybody else out there, and it's certainly helped me make sense of the situation. Get some rest!

Posted by: hobbes9 | November 27, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

So if Taylor had been allowed to own a firearm for self-defense, he would probably still be here. That stinks.

Posted by: pjb219 | November 27, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Seriously Jason, Thank you so much! This meant so much to me. We will always be in your debt and we're going to remember these days for decades to come and you and your blog will be an integral part of that memory.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
You Know Who.

Posted by: dealer | November 27, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Yahoo Sports already removed Sean Taylor from the Redskins roster. Stunned.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 27, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

You have earned some serious respect from me over the last couple days. Its a tough and relentless job. The reporting of this tragedy has frustrated all of us at some point, but you have risen above much of the modern day knee jerk analysis much of the media are trapped into these days.

This has been a tough day all around. I was actually surpised by how much this loss has hit me.

Thanks for the effort Jason LaConfora.

RIP 21.

Posted by: chadaleshire1 | November 27, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, I noticed that, too. They moved fast on that. I couldn't believe it.

Posted by: js_edit | November 27, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope they catch the sick bastards that did this.

R.I.P. #21

You will be missed....

Posted by: DCN8TV | November 27, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

First off, thank you Jason for all your hard work over the last couple of days and for keeping all of us up to date on this tragedy.

Sean, I never met you, but I wish I had. You were my kind of player, my favorite Redskin. You worked hard and you hit harder. From one defensive player to another, it would have been an honor to play on the same field as you.

Rest in Peace Sean. God Bless.

Posted by: scubaboarder | November 27, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I would like to thank Benzo Tim for getting me through these tough times and JLC for the good reporting.

Posted by: rbdsmittydc | November 27, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear Cornelius talking about moving forward, and finishing strong. I know that for some of us, it's hard to think about. But like it or not, our guys have an appointment Sunday afternoon.

Jason, get some good sleep, man. You've earned it many times over.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 27, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jason. You've done an outstanding job, as always, particularly in what I can only imagine is an extremely trying time for you personally also.

Posted by: notanon | November 27, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I have been a Redskins fan for all of my 50 years. The team and its fans have seen many highs, and some lows. But nothing has impacted me more than the visceral kick in the gut I felt this morning when I read that Sean Taylor passed away last night. I am reminded of a poem by A.E. Houseman called "To an Athlete Dying Young". I think it is appropriate to share that verse here.

TO AN ATHLETE DYING YOUNG

THE time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

To-day, the road all runners come, 5
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay, 10
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.

Eyes the shady night has shut
Cannot see the record cut,
And silence sounds no worse than cheers 15
After earth has stopped the ears:

Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man. 20

So set, before its echoes fade,
The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still-defended challenge-cup.

And round that early-laurelled head 25
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl's.

May Sean Taylor rest in peace.

S.M. Southard

Posted by: southardsm | November 27, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards opened his weekly news conference by speaking about Sean Taylor.

"When you lose a young man like that, in the prime of his life, it sets you back," Edwards said. "You think about the things you really feel bad about, and you figure out, 'You know what? That's really not too important in the grand scheme of it."'

University of North Carolina coach Butch Davis recruited Taylor to play at Miami.

"He energized his teammates with his love of football, his charismatic personality, and his willingness to compete at the highest level," Davis said. "It's a real tragedy to see his life end so suddenly and for no reason. I know he recently had a daughter who meant the world to him, and my heart goes out to her and the rest of the Taylor family."

Posted by: kost52 | November 27, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Sean's father was just shown on television...he said he does not hate the person who did this and that he is "at peace." Pedro spent some time recently with Sean in DC and they talked a long time and laughed about many things. Hope the family will be ok....I have cried all day and I'm not sure I will ever be at peace with this.

Posted by: Lisa | November 27, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

i thought he was only convicted on a misdemeanor violation. do you lose your right to bear arms with that as well?

Posted by: sales | November 27, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

nfl.com has also removed him from the roster.

Posted by: sales | November 27, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Jason, you really have done an outstanding job with your reporting. Thanks for keeping all of us informed the way you have - I find it impossible not to come here to get updates.

RIP Sean. You will be missed by a large number of people. You and your family are in our prayers.

Posted by: dralison | November 27, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

too many reports conflicting at this point as to what happened. Let the cops do their work and hopefully the facts will come out and speak to such a horrible tragedy. Barno, my apologies. I feel the same emotions and frustrations. Just not enough time for me to track every article and every TV show or highlight which show those conflicting views. The truth will speak loudly once there has been time to gather all of the facts. Sadly, the one who could add larger amount of truth is no longer. Going to be a long weekend and a weird gameday on Sunday. Proud to be a fan, a season ticket holder, and have burgundy abd gold running through my veins. This blog proves that I would not have it any other way. Working on getting specialized Redskins plates for my vehicle with some type of tribute to Sean. Won't be in time for this game or the next but hopefully by the Cowboys game.

Posted by: straub21 | November 27, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

on wikipedia.com they're saying that his girlfriend jackie is the niece of andy garcia. i had not heard this before.

Posted by: sales | November 27, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I will start this by saying that I have lived in northern VA for my whole life and I am the biggest Cowboys fan that there is.

I don't like the redskins and their fans drive me nuts. I laugh at their failures.

Over the past 2 days though, Cowboys-Redskins has meant nothing. This horrible tragedy has nothing to do with football.

I have wanted to comment on this on RI but I did not feel like I really had much to add but I just want to say what I am thinking about this all.

I was driving to work on Monday morning when the shooting was first announced on 980. I normally listen to fox sports on XM but I like to listen to the local radio on Monday just to hear the local take on the NFL weekend.

When I heard this news it blew me away.

I am a Miami Hurricanes fan so I have always liked Sean Taylor. I loved his ridiculous combination of size and speed plus it seemed like he really loved the game. But as a Cowboys fan, as soon as he put on a redskins uniform he became one of my enemies. I always said that if he got his head straight and played with some discipline that he would easily be the best safety in the NFL. That would mean bad news for the Cowboys.

Anyway, this whole event has had a huge effect on me over the past 2 days. I have been glued to RI(which I read all the time to hear what the enemy is thinking) and sportstalk 980. It brings tears to my eyes with each interview I hear or comment that I read. Pierson Priouleu and Pedro Taylor's comments really hit me hard, especially the part where Mr. Taylor says "Others misunderstood him, many appreciated him and his family loved him"

This was someone's son, someone's father, many people's friend and someone who had an effect on thousands of people every week. The loss that all of these people are dealing with is enormous.

Any time I hear or read the comments from Gibbs or from Redskins players, it brings tears to my eyes. What has affected me even more though is the fan's reactions.

It has been a sad couple of days in the DC area. I can only imagine the pain I would be feeling if this would have happened to one of my favorite players such as Terrell Owens, DeMarcus Ware, or Marion Barber. Wear your jerseys, hang your window flags, do whatever makes you feel better.

It's all just so, so sad.

You can tell by listening to Gibbs, Snyder, Williams, his teammates, etc. how well-liked and respected he was. He was an amazing player, just about to enter his prime of what may have been a HOF career but that is not why the people around him loved him.

There are certain people in life that are natural leaders. They draw people to them without even trying and have a natural energy that cannot be faked. That is what Michael Irvin is, that is what Ray Lewis is, that is what Michael Jordan is and that is what Sean Taylor was.

To all of the so-called Cowboys fans and others that have been on here the past 2 days with negative things to say, I feel sorry for you. Why you would ever take pleasure in or make light of such a horrible event is beyond my understanding.

Here is something from the Cowboys website that I thought summed this tragedy up very well:

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys safety Ken Hamlin said it best:
"Sometimes it's not about football. It's about life. "The guy had a family, a lot of friends," Hamlin said. "Sure he's a great player, but from everything you hear, he was a great person as well. It's definitely a big loss. I pray for his family and friends at this time."

I have always said that as much as I love the Dallas Cowboys, I love football even more. Sean Taylor was a great football player. He will never play football again and that makes me really sad.

I am sad for all football fans who will not get to see him play anymore and especially sad for all Redskins fans who loved watching him play.

This Sunday, I will be cheering for the redskins with all that I've got. I may even go to the game.

God bless his family and God bless everyone who has been hurt by this tragedy.

Sorry for the long, rambling message. Thanks for listening

Posted by: brianswitzer | November 28, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | November 28, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Jason, (aka Jasno lol sorry we need to laugh a bit now I think)

I've said it about 10 times over the past few days, and I'll say it again as this tramatic day comes to an end. You did a stellar job keeping us informed over the past two days, and it's obviously been quite appreciated by most.

Your speedy and informative updates and the corresponding outburst of support for the whole situation in comments has been like a security blanket, fortress of solitude, an island of truth, compassion and understanding, in a sea of negativity, speculation, and sub-par journalism.

Thank you...and sleep in tomorrow you deserve it!

PS. Went to the Vigil this evening, and it was really moving to see all that support out there at the Park for Sean. Pretty much a stream of people in and out the whole evening.

Kind of thing that gives you a little faith in humanity, and I have to say did make me feel a bit better. At least after seeing all those people out there for Sean, (and all the support he got here and everywhere else for that matter today) I can exchange some of the tears of grief and mourning, for warmer fuzzier tears of joy, because of not just the support at the vigil, or the support here in the blogs, or the fact that when I was on my way to the Park I noticed that everywhere there seemed to be quite a few more Skins flags on cars than usual, nor the plethora of 21 jerseys I saw (not just at the vigil), or the fans of all the other teams showing support with phrases like "We are all Redskins today" (first few times I read that one today from posters...really got the warm fuzzy tears, still at the time tempered with grief, going), but rather a combo of all that stuff has kind of restored my faith in humaity.

(Not making a direct comparison so don't freak out on me) But it was like a mini-microcosm of the 911 tragedy...the ultimate outcome being, one where everyone in the nation was family for a few days. May sound odd to say this but it was a really good feeling. Not saying I'm glad it went down that way, but times like that and this (of course this is a much lesser extent and effects many less people...but the general principle is the same) give me restored faith in humanity.

For the most part we can all drop our petty differences and come together on a common ground and all feel and experience basically the same emotions all at the same time. It's a vital part of reaffirming your own humanity, and bridiging social rifts. It's an amazing thing to see this diversity of people come together for a common cause.

Really honor the memory of Sean, by telling your children, friends, people you meet in life, stories about how Sean Taylor united the compassions and emotions of a whole city (where we usually are trying to run each other down with our cars on the Beltway).

Tell them how Sean Taylor made us all a family.

Posted by: rbfett | November 28, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

i'm really begining to hate the media. i'm glad we as fans have this blog to show our discontent about what is being said and reported and how it's being reported about this tragedy.

first wilbon and his boys can go out there and shout until their lungs are dry, write until there's no ink but the truth is wilbon made a mistake. he was ignorant, pompous a$$. he should've said "no comment" when he knew nothing about sean taylor and his life instead he tried to play his black card all over again. whatever! and yes, i'm biting my tongue pretty darn hard here!

i can totally understand if media outside this area portrays sean the way they have been. i totally get that. but to have the nerve to judge us, to patronize us, who apparently knew a lot more about sean taylor than wilbon, a local. that is not just ignorance. that is ignorance combined with hubris. why? who died and made him in charge of all things black-athletes? let me guess that one dinner you had with barry bonds? is that what annointed you?

if there is ANYONE in this city who can publicly comment on troubled youth athletes(black) it is john thompson. but sadly, very sadly, very very sadly he doesn't have the platform as these self-appointed experts on everything black.

Posted by: dealer | November 28, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

and now to football. i'm not ready for it. i'm really not. this game should not be played. that's all i know. i'm not going to watch it.

after that i think they should scratch this season.

after that i just want to take back "fire gibbs" thing i'been saying. there's not a better football coach in this world that i rather have my beloved team go thru with. so i'm glad he's here.

after that tony kornheiser said this morning that we put too much into sports. sports is too big in america. yes, i agree. and i think tk knows the irony in what he said because if we weren't like that he wouldn't be making the type of living he's making. but i think he's right. we do.

Posted by: dealer | November 28, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the long, rambling message. Thanks for listening

Posted by: brianswitzer | November 28, 2007 12:03 AM

Hey man no need to applogize...that was beautiful...but I thought I was done crying for the day.....thanks a lot! hehe

Beautiful post Brian....thanks.

Posted by: rbfett | November 28, 2007 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Did someone take the Sean Taylor t-shirts off the wiki/cafe press link? I was going to get a Super Exciting And Neat t-shirt and they appear to be no longer available.

Posted by: Dorf | November 28, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

My heart goes out to sean and his family and the Redskins nation...To my fellow fans ...I'm sorry for each and everyone of you...This is a very dark day in our beloved history....

I still find myself at times asking selfishly why? Why us? Why the Redskins? Why Sean Taylor? It can't be sean taylor? Then I see the words written on the bottom of the tv screen while the words spoken from whomever on the screen sounds like Blah blah blah...

I'm a die hard like all of you...My family has had season tickets for 46 years....this is something that is just putting everything into prospective....and it's also just so hard to believe he will never suit up and play for us again...

I hope the Redskins officially retie his number...and he deserves to be in the ring of fame ...he did contribute so much to the Skins in 4 short years....

I am just in shock

Posted by: leevi98 | November 28, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Dorf,

This is what was posted re: the shirts earlier this afternoon.

**************************************

curtmcgurt, we pulled the Reaper and S.E.A.N. shirts out of respect for his family.

I have created a site with a memorial shirt. No names, no faces, just his number and a candle. ALL proceeds will go to the charity/memorial fund that the family chooses.

Nate runs the Redskins Insider store (very well I must say too), but I didn't want to get the Katria Relief charitable donations mixed up with the Swoop donations. Therefore I created a new store with one item. Check it out:

Posted by: BucktownSkinsFan | November 27, 2007 04:06 PM

Posted by: JustMe | November 28, 2007 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Dorf, Bucktown Skins Fan, who designed the Sean shirts, asked me to take them down from cafepress, and I did so earlier today. Sorry about that, man.

Bucktown is working on a new design in Sean's memory, and he sent me a draft, and it's simple and clean and elegant. He's now trying to figure out the best way to work out a memorial/donation for the proceeds, before putting the shirt up for sale online. Look for an announcement up here.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 28, 2007 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, JustMe, I missed Bucktown's earlier post. I have had a lot of trouble keeping up.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 28, 2007 12:41 AM | Report abuse

No problem, Nate.

Congrats on the little one, btw. I imagine things must be pretty hectic in your house right now. :-)

Posted by: JustMe | November 28, 2007 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Gotta respect Bucktown's wishes... still think the Super Exciting And Neat shirt would say a lot on my chest... I can't wait to get the new stuff though... Thanks for the info, clearly I am not lurking up here as much these days.

Posted by: Dorf | November 28, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

justme, thank you! i missed that completely.

Posted by: dealer | November 28, 2007 12:52 AM | Report abuse

First of all my heart is still hurting from all of this on so many levels. I am so dreading the next couple of weeks when the story gets investigated, and I am hoping that Sean will gain some redemption of character in some of this.

I found Wilbons chat comments ill timed, crass and flip. He really should have held back a bit, especially in the chat format. I was also offended that on MNF PTI neither Tony K or Wilbon had any comment. Shapiro's piece was straight garbage on many levels, least of which being bad reporting and lame writing. I have actually enjoyed him over the years, but will take awhile for me to have the kind of trust in him a reader needs.

I do have to say that I found Cindy's moderated web video today with Tony and Mike very thoughtful, insightful and more appropriate. I do think Wilbon has some bigger points to be made which are valid, and I think in this forum he was much more adept at presenting them. I also thought Tony admitting his cynical sports writer mentality and contrasting it with his daughter's fan reaction was honest and telling.

Mostyly I am just pissed at the larger societal issues that this shines a light on, which at this point are numerous. We as a culture, nation and species just seem to be in a sprint for the universal lowest common denominator. It slaps us in the face daily. If Taylor's death in any small way can turn that trend, as he seemed to be doing so well with himself, than maybe their is some silver lining.

Who knows, but I do know I will miss dearlt rooting for him on sundays, loving his individualistic nature, and being proud he played for my team.

Let your freak flag fly Sean-Tay, wherever you are!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 28, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

I have been a lifelong fan of the Skins, I used to live in the DC area and the team has never left my consciousness. I am very surprised how emotional i have been today.

Like most men, my identity at my work place is defined by which team i root for. I have gotten many comments today and I found it difficult to respond in anyway other than it is a "bad day".

On my drive home, I actually had my eyes tear up and I was taken aback by my emotional response to this trajedy. For the majority of fans we have no contact with a member of the team we root for, but we feel like we know them and they become a real presence in our lives. We cheer when they are successful and we feel we have the right to ridicule them when they make a mistake. We become part of the "team"

From the moment the Redskins drafted Taylor, I knew he would be a special player. He had physical skills that may not be seen in a long time. I always remember Lavar Arrington commenting how amazed he was that Sean could look him in the eye and still have that kind of speed and power.

I dont comment on this blog that often, but i read it daily and I want to comment to Jason on such a superlative job in trying to keep us fans informed. This day and your presence will always be remembered.

I commented in an earlier post that I thought that the Redskins would spiral down . I want to retract that sentiment. I feel that in the next few days this team will come together like they never have before and have a real focus and energy for this upcoming game. They will feed off of the crowd and will be very emotional and will play very well. I pity the Bills coming into this atmosphere. They obviously will play for Sean and I truly feel they will make the playoffs in a tribute to him.

Posted by: slckrick | November 28, 2007 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, JustMe.

This has proven to be a particularly good time to be preoccupied with and appreciative of my family. I would guess everybody up here has had similar thoughts today. Fighting through the shock and sadness, looking for love and hope, the stuff that sustains us.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 28, 2007 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Anybody looking for Sean taylor shirts, here are some good ones:

Posted by: brianswitzer | November 28, 2007 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Brian,

I really hope those aren't your auctions. It is absolutely disgusting that people would try to profit off of this terrible tragedy. I hope that you reconsider that post.

Posted by: maxhat4 | November 28, 2007 1:23 AM | Report abuse

I promise that none of those are my auctions.

I just saw that people were talking about t-shirts so I looked for "sean taylor shirt" on ebay.

Just trying to help out

I am a Cowboys fan and I just bought the tribute shirt with his picture and will I'll wear it under my Marion BARBARIAN jersey the rest of the season.

I loved Sean Taylor as a player and becauase he let his play speak for him

Posted by: brianswitzer | November 28, 2007 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey everyone,
THe team will still mourn as will fans but rest assured there is a game on the horizon that will be played with #21 in our thoughts and hearts.

I thought this video from Any Given Sunday might serve as some motivation to know that this team can either pull together or fall apart.

Posted by: Jonamath | November 28, 2007 1:35 AM | Report abuse

I would also recommend against buy those shirts off of ebay. You don't know who made them or where the money for them is going.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 28, 2007 1:40 AM | Report abuse

This has been a very tragic day, a day that will be stuck in our heads for a very long time!!! My thoughts and prayers go out to Sean's family, teammates, and friends!!! R.I.P. Sean, you will be truly missed! :(

Jason, you have done a wonderful job on keeping all of us updated on this horrible tragedy! Thank you for all your time and being there for us and with us!!!

Posted by: afrizalone78 | November 28, 2007 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Jonamath, thanks for that motivational video! That's just what we need to keep our spirits high for our upcoming games!!! Nice pick!

Posted by: afrizalone78 | November 28, 2007 1:48 AM | Report abuse

This may have meaning to only me. If so, I apologize and just ask for your indulgence.

My web basically consists of RI, Bill Simmons, and talking about The Wire over on Bastard Machine.

While looking though the Simmons links tonight, I clicked over to a Tupac/Wire montage on YouTube.

All I could think about while watching it was Sean Taylor.

I couldn't help but think of Sean's tragic inability to fully escape the violence he was surrounded by since his youth.

If you have a minute, here's the link:

Posted by: mugamack | November 28, 2007 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Just a quick comment from an Eagles fan who's always respected the 'Skins. While I absolutely feel your pain (Jerome Brown, who died in very different circumstances, was a real shock for us), I'm not sure the talk about canceling or changing schedules makes sense. The NFL played the Sunday after JFK was assassinated--it may have been a mistake, but would JFK have wanted people to stop playing football? Probably not. I can't imagine that Sean Taylor, who loved the game, would want to cancel games: the way to honor him is to play good football, both by the Redskins and by the Bills. And may the best team win (and rest assured, I'll be pulling for you).

Posted by: iallison | November 28, 2007 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Changing the schedule does make sense. The NFL has the power to switch another game to the Thursday game next week and allow the Redskins a free day or two to attend Sean Taylor's funeral.

But I don't think the NFL will do it. Still, wouldn't it be nice if a couple teams came forward and volunteered to switch from Sunday, December 9 to the Thursday, December 6 game out of respect for another NFL team and their murdered player? Maybe Philly and New York?

This Sunday's game is going to happen, and it should. While I hope the Redskins play a Mara game, a win is not that important to me. I'm just going to watch the game with my friends and family and that's enough for me.

Posted by: mugamack | November 28, 2007 3:32 AM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Blessing to you and yours. Sincere thanks for the updates.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 28, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse

I think Wise did a great job with the obit. It won't satisfy anyone, but I think he focused on as much as Sean as was possible and captured the Sean Taylor I remember as a fan.

I hope we get to see the final draft of the story about the Sean Taylor that Portis, et al., remember as friends, too.

Posted by: sxpatr | November 28, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Hi all. I tried to drop off some flowers and a card from all at RI last night but didn't get to the Park until after they had closed it for the evening. The police guy on guard told me what time to come back today.

I went this morning before I came to work. The tree where people are leaving their tributes was brightly illuminated by the all TV lights but it was still very peaceful and quiet there.

I was the only person there except for a TV cameraman, but he stayed well away. I said a prayer for Sean and his family, and for God to begin the healing process for all affected by this tragedy. I stayed a few minutes because the place was so beautifully still. Many people have left things there that are obviously very personal to them; well-worn Skins baseball caps, things like that.

JM/RedRyan, I asked the police officer if I could light a candle for Sean on your behalf but he asked me not to - it was pretty windy and I suppose they are worried that the area might catch fire.

The sun was coming up just as I left, and because it is pretty cloudy this morning for a while the sky was lit up with deep burgundy clouds with streaks of gold light through them. It probbaly does that every morning, but today it seemed somehow appropriate.

Anyway enough rambling, I wanted to share that with you guys.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 28, 2007 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I had my own little vigil here tonight, after basketball I stopped in at the shops and bought some birthday candles, a large 2 and a 1.

I sat down on the couch, lit them, cracked open a bottle of Canadien Club Classic which I got for my birthday and watched my tape of the playoff game against Tampa Bay. The candles went out before the game finished but I stopped the tape anyway. I'd like to think that I won't watch that tape again, and the feelings and thoughts that I'm having right now, are all I need to remember Sean.

Night RI

Night Sean

Posted by: kost52 | November 28, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Thank you so much Redcoat. You are the man. I am still can't believe Sean is gone.

Posted by: jm220 | November 28, 2007 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for working to get information to those of us who merely knew Sean as fans. I'm sure that it's especially hard in the net age to work on stories like this - we're all looking for any bit of news or update we can get, in real time. I appreciate your sharing what you find with us, because at least in my grieving, I am seeking any and all information I can find on this, and what we can do to remember and memorialize a great safety.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | November 28, 2007 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm just glad I could help in some way JM.

I won't be around much the next day or so, work intervenes, but I'll stop by when I can.

Stay strong guys.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 28, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for putting in the extra effort, Redcoat. And thanks again to you, J-La and Cindy, for the work to keep us abreast of things.

Numb, and still, there aren't any words.

Posted by: FlimFlam | November 28, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Just bought my shirt from Bucktowns CafePress, can't wait to get it. I got the baseball shirt, what did you guys get?

Posted by: tweedr01 | November 28, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Kost:

Something about your last post made me teary-eyed for some reason. I think it's the fact that video clips are the only way we'll ever get to see Sean on the field again. I haven't been capable of much grief to this point because, like so many other fans, I'm still in shock over his death. I am going to be a blubbering SOB come Sunday afternoon if I don't release some of this emotion I've built up inside before then. God bless #21 and his family.

Posted by: skinz57 | November 28, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

RC, thanks man. Appreciate the efforts.

Still unable to come to grips with this. Watched a couple of you-tube videos of ST last night. We were truly blessed to have the opportunity to see him play. Some of the stuff he did was truly jaw-dropping.

Such a tragedy...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Redcoat, we have come a long ways since the Dolphins game huh? I just wanted to say that you along with other fans have been great, its only Wednesday...it feels like Saturday and not in the good way, just like ths week has dragged on. Thank you man, thank you all fans from other teams, you are making this less difficult to deal with

Posted by: tweedr01 | November 28, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else going to the game on Sunday? I usually like watching from the comfort of home, but Sunday will be much different. I got tickets right behind the team to support them, anyone else going too? Anyone doing anything special for Sean at the game?

Posted by: tweedr01 | November 28, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

tweedr01,
I got the baseball shirt too. I live in Virginia Beach now, but I think it should be here in time for me wear it out on Sunday.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | November 28, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I also wanted to thank everyone for contributing to the blog here. I'm a writer by nature and have been so frustrated and confused by this and it's really helped me to be able to jump into a community so passionate and loquacious. I spend a lot of time on the Nats blog, but only check into the 'Skins every now and then, despite being an avid Washington fan. After seeing what a special thing you have going here, I think I'll check in more often.

I also think it's appropriate for me to type in the same forum as all my denunciations a nod to Wilbon for his column today. I still think it was wrong of him to say what he said in his chat when he said it. His column today, however, is powerful and an important point to make.

The most shocking thing about Sean Taylor's death is that as fans we tend to treat players as characters. We draft Taylor for our custom Madden '08 team or say we're going to play as him in the family Thanksgiving touch football game. When something like this happens the man all of a sudden becomes three-dimensional and we're left confused and hurt.

It turns out that Sean Taylor was a lot more like us than we thought. He was more loving father than wide-out crusher, more struggling young man than league-leading interceptor, and more devoted worker than professional superstar. And so I mourn Sean Taylor, Free Safety, but not as much as I mourn Sean Taylor, 24, who I never knew as well as I wish I had.

Posted by: sxpatr | November 28, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Wear it proud mcgurt, if i get mine before the game i'm definitely sporting it at fedex. It's gonna be a tough decision though, I was going to wear the cooley jersey and put masking tape over the numbers on the shoulder and write "21", then tape over cooley's name and put "Taylor aka Meast", maybe I'll wear both and flip flop, but I don't think the jersey would look all too terrific underneath the baseball shirt

Posted by: tweedr01 | November 28, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I can't get over how awful this whole story is and the very odd circumstances that surround his murder... It is horrific.

The mysterious circumstances only make it worse and I can't help but want to know more about why and how this happened... I keep feeling like I need more information to put this away and get closure on how his precious like was taken in such a cruel and merciless manner. so sad...

I heard a statement that was released by Comcast SprotsNet from Pedro Taylor (Sean's Father) last night before going to bed... I leave you with this very touching qutoe (it was something along these lines...)

"You know who you are, so turn yourself in. Vengeance is not mine, but God's. And only he holds it in his hands."

Posted by: EinVB | November 28, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Please, everyone going to the game, get in your seats 30-45 min before kickoff. We need to honor Sean with our noise. And our guys will need our support to get them through this game. Show your respect and please get in the stadium early.

As for a way to honor Sean, I love the suggestion to temporarily amend the lyrics to HTTR:

Hail to the Redskins,
Hail victory,
Braves on the warpath,
Fight for 'ol Sean T.!

Posted by: CMoney1 | November 28, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I am just as choked up as everyone else over Sean but we have to move on and as cold as that sounds we have to start looking towards the future. We are Skins fans but we also are concerned about what players are on the field. Obviously you can't replace a Sean Taylor but we have to look for a replacement. Kenny Philips from Miami would be a great choice. There aren't many quality safties via free agency this year. So what should we do?

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | November 28, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Not sure I'm ready to put this issue to bed, and move on to looking for a new safety. Thats something the team can tackle this offseason.

E, saw that quote from his father. It takes a certain internal peace, to be able so say something like that. He's a good man.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Cmoney, already in the making man, my father and I are going to be there at least an hour before kickoff. We need to be so loud that people in PA can hear SeanT.
JJwilson, eh, I know i'm a fan but at this point i'm not ready to let go. I just don't have enough feeling in my heart to think about it yet, I'm just gonna leave that to Gibbs now. He made two great decisions at safety, i trust him to make another.
As for me, Sean will be my FS forever, I already know whenever a new Madden comes out the Redskins on my game will always have a FS, Sean Taylor, #21...

Posted by: tweedr01 | November 28, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | November 28, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I wish we could somehow get a Post like this to the rest of the Country. Us Skins fans think of Taylor in a different light then some (not all) fans from other teams.

I heard at least two people in my office say who cares he was a criminal, I think it is sad and pathetic people think things like this without even knowing any truth.

I hope he it at peace after giving his life for his Baby.

Posted by: ryan_conaway | November 28, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | November 28, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

JM, both King, and Don Banks, wrote pieces on ST yesterday. Both 'touched' on the incidents that ST had when he first got into the league, but the main points of both of these articles was about what a tragic loss of a young man this was. Not to beat a dead horse, but unlike Wilbon/Shapiro, they didn't feel the need to promote their own personal agenda, and writing untruths.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

However, as they heard the clutter Sean reached for the machete under his bed - he is prohibited from having a firearm from his prior felony weapons charge --

By Jason La Canfora | November 27, 2007; 9:55 PM ET

That doesn't jive at all with what Sharpstein said yesterday morning on the Fox 5 news show. He said that Taylor's probation was a misdemeanor/non-reporting type of probation and that he was never prohibited from owning a firearm.

If you go to their website and look for the video called "Family Friend Richard Sharpstein Reacts" it is one of the first questions asked.

Posted by: tha_prophet | November 28, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

As much as I hate thinking about it, we need to think of our future free safety. Like Clinton said last night on the NFL network" We didn't think we would have to replace him this soon"

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | November 28, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I just got the grey hood sweetshirt, I should hopefully get it before next weeks game.

Posted by: SAK2 | November 28, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | November 28, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

After some of the pre-emptive, assumptive self-righteous, self-aggrandizing Wilbonics being published on Sean T. the last few days, it's heartening to know that some writers can actually see past it. Even if it's Peter King.

As to looking forward, I'm not sure. As with the question on the cap hit, figuring out the replacement possibilities are necessary questions - I'm just not ready to deal with that, and I'm sure most of the team aren't ready for that. There's a lot of broken spirits, and the 'then' and 'now' are still too close.

Posted by: FlimFlam | November 28, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I just watched CP on the NFL Network from yesterday. He looked exhausted.

I have to say, their coverage of Sean's death has been much more fair than what I have seen from other sources. They have shared statements of many players and coaches from around the league, and I have only heard them briefly allude to any negative things.

Posted by: JustMe | November 28, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

greg, flimflam--

After I read your posts I reread Wilbon's column this morning. I must be missing something. Can you please point out to me what he said that is "promoting his own personal agenda, and writing untruths" or "pre-emptive, assumptive self-righteous, self-aggrandizing"?

Thanks.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 28, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 28, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Redcoat, it means a lot to me! I hope the Skins make a run to playoffs in Sean's memory! That would be AWESOME!!!!

Posted by: redryan400 | November 28, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

TA,

In Shapiro's piece, he wrote that ST had been thrown out of some games due to hits that were excessive. To my knowledge this has never happened. If I'm wrong, I'll certainly retract what I've said, but I cannot recall a game where he was thrown out, other than the spitting game.

Wilbon, didn't cover the skins. He was also never at the park. ST never spoke with guys in the media. Given all this information, how could Wilbon write that ST embraced a violet world, and could not distance himself from it?? Doesn't that sound like he's perhaps taking some liberties in order to make his agenda work?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Jason for all your time and hard work covering this tradgedy.
God bless Sean.

Posted by: ftlmikeflorida | November 28, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

great reporting. I have been trying to find out all the deets from miami paper, this paper and cnn. I think the 911 call is a very interesting area that needs clarification. including a release of the 911 call. how could there have been issues with getting a dial tone when jackie went to call 911? that makes me very curious. is it confirmed that the phone lines were not cut? also the timing between the incident and the 911 call has not been reported. is it matter of seconds? or minutes? especially considering the prior break in it would seem that an operating phone land line would be a priority. it is said that taylor had an alarm. which was operational even if it was not activated. doesnt a house alarm usually come with monitoring where they contact you by phone in emergencies? i need more details on the phone availability issue. as well, if jackie's sister was "in and out" of the house. then why would noise startle them awake? would they not assume it was the sister since they left the alarm off for her? why assume it is a home invasion? and if you are on your guard, why would you leave your alarm off?

Posted by: raquenel | November 28, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

T_A,

And I would add in to that pool of Wilbonics some of the comments Wilbon made in his TWP chat on Monday as particularly suspect. He made it a point to state that Sean, in essence, was a dark character that had this end coming to him. When someone asked him to clarify how he knew this, he merely said that he's seen the behavior before, and he knew this was the way it was going to come out.
For him to come out the next morning and say on the radio that he really never dealt with Sean Taylor personally made his particular comments the day before circumspect as far as the 'truthiness' meter is concerned.

He is allowed to have personal doubts and opinions in his mind, and I defend that right to the end. I also defend the right for him to say it. But I also defend the right to call him out on his opining, as well.

Posted by: FlimFlam | November 28, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse