Last Look at Skins-Browns

Cleaning out my notebook, I had some final thoughts on the Browns-Skins game ...

What was going on with Romeo Crennel on the Cleveland sideline? They forgot that Kellen Winslow was back at tight end until the fourth quarter. With a big back and solid line, Crennel opted to let QB Derek Anderson, in the midst of a flat-out horrid day, take shot after shot at the goal line late (second and goal from the 1 ... three straight errant passes). Trailing by 11 with six minutes to play, he went for it on fourth and three rather than taking a field goal and making it a one-score game (including a two-point conversion). Clinton Portis's fumble let him off the hook somewhat, but I'm not sure what he was thinking. The Browns held the ball for 12 minutes of the fourth quarter, with just 8 points to show for it.

If I'm a Browns fan, I gather my boys, forming one of those classic Simpsons type Springfield mobs complete with the burning broomsticks, and demand that Brady Quinn quarterback the team. Anderson isn't going anywhere. He had his night to shine on "Monday Night Football," but that teams needs a spark.

Even with the shortage of defensive backs for the Skins, it seemed like Kareem Moore was reined in a bit following his mistake on that blitz at the end of the St. Louis game. He fell pretty far behind in the offseason and preseason with his knee problems, and I think that Mike Green will be getting more significant minutes as a reserve safety sooner rather than later as Moore gets more time to develop.

Chris Horton has a death grip on the starting strong safety job now. We saw a little more of LaRon Landry on the blitz and around the line, with Horton trusted enough to play as a single high safety on a play or two. Horton finished the game second on the team with nine tackles (four solo) and was a giant in the run game, especially early.

He's leading all rookies with four takeaways and is second among them with 37 tackles. My man Nate Walsh emailed me last night pointing out the obvious - the dude might be in line for NFC rookie of the year - and off the top of my head, Mayo, the LB with New England, is the only rookie who leaps to mind possibly ahead of Horton (Mayo, of course, was a first-round pick).

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 21, 2008; 8:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Punter Brooks Is Gone
Next: Goal Line Stands (Yes, Plural)

Comments

FIRST of all, that was a bad pick, way to go VINNIE!

Posted by: Skins63 | October 21, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 21, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

(Mayo, of course, was a first-round pick).

By Jason La Canfora | October 21, 2008; 8:15 AM ET

And there's a reason for that. You can't make a Whopper without the mayo.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Oh that would put a lot of fear in people. Seeing you and your boys. LMAO!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 21, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 21, 2008 8:32 AM |

Isn't that a hollow feeling, coming in second and screaming first? It reminds me of Devin Thomas pumping his chest and congratulating himself on that TD pass that got called back. Or on any of his other passes that got called back.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 21, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I haven't been too thrilled about the 'skins two-minute defense all season. Just stressing the negative here. Of course if they could get any pass rush with just three or four linemen that might change.

My Pro-bowlers
Chris Samuels
Clinton Portis
Chris Cooley
Laron Landry
Carlos Rogers
London Fletcher

you could also make arguments for:
Santana Moss
Jason Campbell
Mike Sellers
Casey Rabach
Chris Horton

Posted by: bangkokben | October 21, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Come on bro you know Redskins don't make the Probowl. Portis will be the first league leading rusher to not make the probowl.

PS Big 45 Makes or the fix is in.

Posted by: Pleepleus | October 21, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Mayo for NFC rookie of the year? did I read that right?

If so, that would be tough, considering hes in the AFC

Posted by: rc2223 | October 21, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Mayo for NFC rookie of the year? did I read that right?

If so, that would be tough, considering hes in the AFC

Posted by: rc2223 | October 21, 2008 9:16 AM |

Rc,

Come on you know Jasno is not that smart.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

What can brown do for you... aside from hand you a win.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

That would be some dominance for Mayo.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post, y'all...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I say Portis gets over a 1000 for the season this sunday

Posted by: FAB88 | October 21, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I say New England cuts Mayo this week, the Skins sign him and he wins NFC rookie of the year in just 9 games....

Posted by: geotherm21 | October 21, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: geotherm21 | October 21, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Emptyping my Browns week notebook: I though rogers 22 did an excellent job early on, but he gave up some plays later in the game. The browns ran a double post from the left side, with Edwards matched up on Rogers on teh outside, Rogers didnt stick tight to edwards and gave up a big pass. Then on that last drive, Edwards was open way too much, even on the passed that he dropped. It has to concern you. Because a good WR isnt going to drop those, and that pass completed, the Browns are in easy FG range... just nit pickin. Come on Carlos, play the whole game like a pro bowler!

Posted by: TonyButterFingersHomo1 | October 21, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

seeing some of the browns games this year shows me that crennel is not a very good head coach. i think he will be fired this year if not next year. the play calling really stinks.not a browns fan. what has ahppened to zornball? lately they have looked like gibbs ball.i thought he said he was going to call plays to win games not lose them. but a win is a win.

Posted by: rls1041 | October 21, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse