Last Thoughts on Eagles Game

Brian Westbrook wasn't right. Skins secondary coach Jerry Gray noticed it right away, commenting to some players that "He doesn't have that giddy-up." Westbrook's brother, Byron, a corner on the Skins' practice squad, saw it, too. "His ankle wasn't 100 percent," Byron Westbrook said. "It was like he had a hitch in his stride." Then Brian Westbrook picked up a rib injury - turns out he has two broken ribs - and he wasn't the same.

Without Westbrook the Eagles are pretty pedestrian on offense. He makes them go. Donovan McNabb isn't right, either, especially with his feet, and the vultures are circling around Andy Reid, again. Could turn ugly up there.

I didn't like the way Reid called the game, not taking any deep shots, not working the underneath stuff enough - they got L.J. Smith going for a while then got away from it. Outside of his script of the first 15 plays, the Eagles got totally stuffed. Once he got away from what he'd scribbled down - and once Westbrook got dinged - things quickly went downhill.

Philly's first 15 plays produced a TD - on a 12-play, 80-yard drive - and those first 15 plays accounted for 93 yards over the first 11 minutes; the Eagles amassed only 161 yards over the final 49 minutes. They picked up seven first downs within those first 15 plays, then just seven for the remainder of the game.

Reid's got some adjusting to do, for sure.

Also thought that as we wrap up the game we should give some dap to Antwaan Randle El in the return game. He's had his share of trouble, but he was pretty good Sunday. Special teams coach Danny Smith shoots for a 10-yard punt return - that's the goal - and ARE averaged 12.7 per return Sunday, including one for 28 yards. In a tight game, that's huge (the Skins' biggest margin of victory is seven this season, so every yard counts)

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 7, 2008; 8:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Have Room for Improvement
Next: Suisham's on a Roll

Comments

Boink

Posted by: bmo63 | October 7, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Not taking anything away from the Skins... we had some critical guys out as well, and did everything we needed to do to get the W. I think the Skins won this game more than the Iggles lost it, to use a cliche.

Still feeling great about this win.

Hail to 'em.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Still feeling great about this win.

Hail to 'em.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Still feeling great about this win.

Hail to 'em.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

first?

Posted by: Josh7 | October 7, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Eagles fans, your team sucks, here is a tipe toss Reid and Donny McCrabb under the bus.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Since the Loseable Type Triple Post on the last thread wasn't enough...

So -- I have a slightly different take on the "room for improvement" question.

I think that most statistics can be misleading, particularly early in the season. But one interesting metric is the ranking of an offense or defense between total offense/defense and scoring offense/defense. That is, if you're 13th in total defense (as we are), then you should be somewhere around there in scoring defense (as we are, exactly at 13). This controls for some of the aberrations of a schedule (like where we've played all top-ten offenses). On offense, we are #6 in total offense, but #17 in scoring offense. That means we're scoring less than we should be given the overall effectiveness of the offense. "Settling for field goals" is a bit of a problem right now; I doubt that we can continue this for the whole season without suffering at some point along the line.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 8:29 AM

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Since the Loseable Type Triple Post on the last thread wasn't enough...

So -- I have a slightly different take on the "room for improvement" question.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 8:29 AM

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I knew it wouldn't be long before you would start back with your negative feelings for this team. You really just need to move the F on!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 7, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Since the Loseable Type Triple Post on the last thread wasn't enough...

So -- I have a slightly different take on the "room for improvement" question.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 8:29 AM

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I live in the Philly area but didn't grow up around here so I am huge, life long Redskins fan. Listening to 610 WIP the day and week after a Eagles loss is the best thing in the world!

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 7, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Since the Loseable Type Triple Post on the last thread wasn't enough...

So -- I have a slightly different take on the "room for improvement" question.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 8:29 AM

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 7, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 7, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Agree the win was all about us.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Wonder what that 'NFL Exectutive' is saying now?

Regardless, they had a hobbled Westbrook, the Redskins were without Springs, Washington, and Heyer, so which team was missing more?

This defense has typically given up points early, and then tightened down after the first drive or two.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 7, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Losable Type is down!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Westbrook may have been hurting, but we had 4 starters out so if you think that is why the Skins one you can kiss my a$$.

Westbrook looked fine on that opening drive, and who was it that broke his rib the Skins defense.

Maybe if the Iggles had a better backup they would not have had to play Westbrook when he was hurting.

This game is over with we kicked there a$$ up and down the field, and anyone in the media still not respecting the Skins, does not know much about the game.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 7, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 7, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Well, at least you can't say I didn't give you a chance to read my comment.

Loooooooosable Type is eating itself alive!

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 7, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

kmichael,
Any zingers you can tell us about.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 7, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Cindy Boren, can you please request that your paper fix this crappy blog? LoseAble type is crap, not sure why your tech people felt the need to use this software, but it was certainly a terrible decision. Trying to post a comment is like trying to watch the last drop of molasses run out of the bottle, and this thing is creating not just double posts, but triple and quadruple posts.

This can't be a desired result, can it?

re-posting from last post:

Brees - 3rd best four sacks all year(10th most attempts all year, 148)

Romo - tied for 3rd four sacks all year(fifth most attempts all year, 162)

Eli M - tied for 5th five sacks all year(15th most attempts all year, 132)

McNabb - tied for 20th 10 sacks all year(third most attempts by any QB all year, 175)

Warner - 28th 12 sacks all year(second most attempts by any QB, 183)

So 3 of the 5 QBs are among the very best at getting rid of the ball, and the other two are pretty good as well when one considers the sacks per attempt.

And just an FYI, JC is tied for 14th with 8 sacks all year, and the 8th most attempts, 158.

Posted by: craig2 | October 7, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I think the scoring offense statistic will go up after the next three games.

Posted by: TeeSkins | October 7, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Searching the web now, Cowboys fans still sh*t*ng bricks about the loss :)

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I think the scoring offense statistic will go up after the next three games.

Posted by: TeeSkins | October 7, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I live in the Philly area, too. They are getting tired of Andy Reid.

The thing that has gotten the Eagle fans the most is not being able to punch it in from the 1 or 2 yard line. That last play that got stuffed LJ Smith lined up on the wrong side. Instead of calling timeout McNabb audibled.

They are also besides themselves that the Redskins ran for 200 yards. Nobody had done that on them. Teams don't understand how good this OL is when healthy.

And this morning someone was complaining that when the Skins went to man coverage Reid left Jackson on the bench. That without Jackson in the game they have no one to stretch the field.

It makes me wonder if going to man coverage is what shut the Eagles down. It seemed like they played a lot of man against the Cowboys. Given the talent this team has in the secondary I'm wondering if maybe they should start out the game in man.

Posted by: skinfanman | October 7, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I am Wonder what that NFL Exectutive is saying about the Ravens? I can't wait until we beat the hell out of them.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 7, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Well, with Westbrook's fractured ribs some callers and announcers are wondering why Reid was running Westbrook near the goal line when the week before in Chicago Reid said he didn't QB sneak because McNabb's chest hurts. They are pouncing on the Carlos Rogers and other redskins D comments about Andy's 15 scripted plays then after the scripted plays he has no idea what he is doing and this has been the same deal for 10 years now. Folks are also discussing why all the Eagles do is throw and then get to the goal line and are obsessed with running and that it would help if the Eagles had a FB on their roster. Lots of depressed callers. It makes my week fly by!

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 7, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I think the scoring offense statistic will go up after the next three games

Certainly, there's cause for optimism. The only way to significantly change the total offense/scoring offense statistic is to force turnovers. Our next three opponents are vulnerable to that -- -3, -4, -6, respectively -- but we are not a real high-turnover defense. That's where more sacks would help.
Even though the Lambs, Bungles, and Lions ["Lions" is the code name for "worst football franchise EVER and therefore needs no modification] are really bad teams, they will get some wins this year. And pressure on Bulger, Palmer, and Orlovsky(?) is the key to making sure it's not us that gives them the win.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I think the scoring offense statistic will go up after the next three games

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I think the scoring offense statistic will go up after the next three games

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I think the scoring offense statistic will go up after the next three games

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I live in Philly as well. Nothing gave me more pleasure than walking around in center city with my portis jersey on screaming R-E-D-S-K-I-N-S REDSKINS! Especially since the entire week leading up to the game, I had die hard Sheagles fans questioning how I, "could root for a crap team?" To which I would reply, "how many super bowls do you guys have again? What place are the eagles in?"

I love my skins. HAIL.

Posted by: Beggarsandthieves | October 7, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I love my skins. HAIL.

Posted by: Beggarsandthieves | October 7, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Good points.

Although I would add that the Eagles got away from their gameplan because, after that first drive, the Redskins handled everything Reid threw at them. You don't take deep shots when the receivers are covered. You don't work the underneath stuff when you're in long yardage situations.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | October 7, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

JLA, can we please hear what your NFL Exec is saying now?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Tool

Posted by: wstclair | October 7, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

For some reason, I don't read this post as negative at all. It's honest. We all know that w/o Westbrook, the Eagles have no offense. That's a fact. JLC never says that is why we won. JM220, you are projecting your negative feelings to a neutral posting. Relax buddy.

On a positive note, I'm happy to see Randle-El improve on his returns a bit, as well as make that perfect TD pass. Now if he could hold onto more of the passes thrown his way, he'd be a BEAST!

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | October 7, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse